FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Weekly testing for NHS staff

Weekly testing for NHS staff

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ionelhutz OP   Man  over a year ago

liverpool

Not sure to put in the politics thread but there was a vote for nhs staff to have a weekly test.

It was voted down by the gmnt and dup

Any particular convincing reasons why?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"Not sure to put in the politics thread but there was a vote for nhs staff to have a weekly test.

Any particular convincing reasons why?"

Ask them.

liverpool

"Not sure to put in the politics thread but there was a vote for nhs staff to have a weekly test.

Ask them. "

There aren't many tories up my way sadly!

Ask them.

There aren't many tories up my way sadly!"

Consult Hansard - it will show who voted then write and ask

liverpool

Ask them.

There aren't many tories up my way sadly!

Consult Hansard - it will show who voted then write and ask "

Will do

By *lli_sissyTV/TS  over a year ago

Cambridge

it's not political, it's logistical. Big hospitals have about 10k staff, not including small hosiptals, gp's, ccg's and all the other services outside of them... you want to test them all every week?!!! Most are not doctors and nurses btw. I could understand argueing for a front line staff reg test, but the whole NHS... wow...

By *Wman15Man  over a year ago

Manchester

It was a technical issue where the contents of Labour MP Ashworth's speech did not agree to him motion

Political opportunism by him to try to force through a very broad and ill thought out motion

It may well come back in a substantially altered form that has cross party support and isn't a potential financial black hole that isn't an effective solution either

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The government don't want to do it (more positive tests = more people self-isolating and not working), and the bill was easy to vote down because it was practically impossible and just bad law.

The opposition wrote it to be voted down so they could score political points, since their goal is to win the next election (and the last thing they want to be doing is handing the government favours).

Welcome to politics.

liverpool

A study from imperial college in london suggested that weekly testing could reduce infections by upto 33%.

The tory mp for Stroud said she welcomed more testing but voted against the bill and numerous mps have come out to defend their voting against it.

Whether impractical or not it seems to have been voted down on a purely partisan issue.

"A study from imperial college in london suggested that weekly testing could reduce infections by upto 33%.

The tory mp for Stroud said she welcomed more testing but voted against the bill and numerous mps have come out to defend their voting against it.

Whether impractical or not it seems to have been voted down on a purely partisan issue."

There is a massive backlog of tests at laboratories - plus there is a massive backlog of cancer screening too - better to let the balance be made between both now - the person who mentioned the testing every week was just using ill thought out opportunistic political point scoring - in the long run it has generally been accepted that it would do more damage to those really in need right now - like cancer patients that haven't seen a Doctor or health professional in 14 weeks.

The story is widely available online - get googling

liverpool

"A study from imperial college in london suggested that weekly testing could reduce infections by upto 33%.

Whether impractical or not it seems to have been voted down on a purely partisan issue.

There is a massive backlog of tests at laboratories - plus there is a massive backlog of cancer screening too - better to let the balance be made between both now - the person who mentioned the testing every week was just using ill thought out opportunistic political point scoring - in the long run it has generally been accepted that it would do more damage to those really in need right now - like cancer patients that haven't seen a Doctor or health professional in 14 weeks.

The story is widely available online - get googling "

I don't think it was point scoring..it was a genuine suggestion backed up by a medical report.

[Removed by poster at 28/06/20 19:32:42]

I don't think it was point scoring..it was a genuine suggestion backed up by a medical report."

And shot down by many health professionals.

By *Wman15Man  over a year ago

Manchester

The backlog of other treatment in the NHS is becoming frightening

I've a cataract in my left eye (expected as a result of a retinal detachment repair back in March) and of the 6 hospitals that I could in theory have my initial appointment at 3 had no appointments available for at least 2 months. Not to have the operation (which takes 45 mins or less) - just for an initial consultation. Very luckily I got a video appointment at my local NHS hospital for 3 weeks hence. I've no idea how long it will be before it is actually operated on, and all the time the sight in that eye will be worsening

Not life threatening for sure but certainly likely to start restricting some regular activities

By *uited staffs guyMan  over a year ago

staffordshire

I don’t think doing CT scans etc for cancer, and doing covid tests hinder each other - you can do both

I don’t think every NHS worker needs testing eg admin staff - but frontline acute staff it would be useful

But the current government have a problem with being challenged even from within their own party ask Gauke, Soames etc - so they’d vote against anything someone else said even if it was a good idea

"I don’t think doing CT scans etc for cancer, and doing covid tests hinder each other - you can do both

"

Yes you can do both - but I had an MRI Scan that was cancelled 4 times since the beginning of the pandemic. The last time - unbelievably - was because a member of staff turned into the unit after 'feeling ill' for three days and has since tested positive for Covid. This meant that for 5 days the MRI Sanner was off limits while the whole unit was deep cleaned. The Unit head was furious as you can imagine he would be.

Having now had the scan I am backloged to 4 week results. Normally you can get the results in 1.

I bet you if you asked the majority of NHS staff, they would say that their gut feeling is it would not be a good thing.

The rigmarole of constant testing, week in week out would mentally be very attritional and an added burden to an already extremely stressful job.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I get tested every Wed at work. Its no big deal but a pain having to go in on days off

By *emmabTV/TS  over a year ago

Leicestershire

Testing of front line staff on a weekly basis is a good idea. But you have to remember that the vast majority of the people that work within the NHS are at no more risk of coming in contact with corona than anyone else in the general population.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Money. Is the usual answer.

Any particular convincing reasons why?"

Testing ALL NGS staff weekly would be pointless.

One of my daughters is a GP. Had her FIRST test (negative) just last week as her cousin had tested positive.

Her b/f however is frontline senior house doctor on Covid wards. He has been tested weekly as a matter of routine for past few months.

Has been negative every time (but has a sore nose as a result!)

He says it is because "he knows how to wear PPE properly". Also said that he has never been in situation where correct and full PPE has not been in plentiful supply for all frontline staff in his hospital (Whiston) saying that's true of 95% of hospitals (though clearly wasn't for care homes?).

I'm NHS staff

Not been tested

No need.. Not going to change my outcome.. If had it.. I've had it if not got it I've not got it..

I've got more chance of getting it in the free for all in supermarkets

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Much of the covid-19 health and medical work has been siphoned off to private businesses, including much of the testing infrastructure, for £millions. It's a valid point that actual staff at risk should be subject to frequent testing, guided by experts advice. The targets for processing of tests should be fast, to ensure that people isolate as quickly as possible, to limit infection to others. £Tens of millions are being paid out for testing, so it should be being done right.

As it's now been raised as an issue, this could lead to a clearer focus on to what is needed to suppress infection levels.

I’m front line and haven’t been tested.

Could book an antibody test but would need to go in on my day off for it.

I’ve been swabbed a few times and had an antibody test.im frontline too

It’s my employer that’s organising it though not anyone else

"Testing of front line staff on a weekly basis is a good idea. But you have to remember that the vast majority of the people that work within the NHS are at no more risk of coming in contact with corona than anyone else in the general population. "

liverpool

"I don’t think doing CT scans etc for cancer, and doing covid tests hinder each other - you can do both

I don’t think every NHS worker needs testing eg admin staff - but frontline acute staff it would be useful

But the current government have a problem with being challenged even from within their own party ask Gauke, Soames etc - so they’d vote against anything someone else said even if it was a good idea "

Thats The impression I got.It may be completely pointless..i dont know..but it seems to be voted down on a political issue.

One report I read said it would be very beneficial to front line staff especially.But others have disagreed.

But the current government have a problem with being challenged even from within their own party ask Gauke, Soames etc - so they’d vote against anything someone else said even if it was a good idea

Thats The impression I got.It may be completely pointless..i dont know..but it seems to be voted down on a political issue.

One report I read said it would be very beneficial to front line staff especially.But others have disagreed."

At risk of repeating the story again . . .

liverpool

One report I read said it would be very beneficial to front line staff especially.But others have disagreed.

At risk of repeating the story again . . .

The story is widely available online - get googling "

Prof Derek Alderson would beg to differ

I've read about 8 stories about Tories explaining their decision.Every single one gives the same reason.its a publicity stint.Not that its impractical.Like I said ealier a study by imperial college London in April found that weekly testing could reduce rates.Some medical professionals disagree..that's hardly surprising.

staffordshire

There is no backlog for covid testing vs cancer testing etc

Cancer testing is done by a totally different area to covid - if covid testing disappeared it wouldn’t help cancer one jot - histopathologists are not doing covid testing (they wouldn’t know how!)

What’s hindering cancer massively is the presence of covid and how what was routine has had to change

"There is no backlog for covid testing vs cancer testing etc

Cancer testing is done by a totally different area to covid - if covid testing disappeared it wouldn’t help cancer one jot - histopathologists are not doing covid testing (they wouldn’t know how!)

What’s hindering cancer massively is the presence of covid and how what was routine has had to change "

Read it for yourself - widely reported . . .

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/labour-weekly-nhs-coronavirus-testing-a4478201.html

"Like I said ealier a study by imperial college London in April found that weekly testing could reduce rates.Some medical professionals disagree..that's hardly surprising."

Testing cars once a week would find who are polluting more in-between MOT's - the point is the BACKLOG it would cause in an already massively overloaded testing service.

'The data shows that, of the 840,742 people currently waiting for diagnostic tests, more than half of those – 468,622 – have been waiting more than six weeks.'

staffordshire

"Like I said ealier a study by imperial college London in April found that weekly testing could reduce rates.Some medical professionals disagree..that's hardly surprising.

Testing cars once a week would find who are polluting more in-between MOT's - the point is the BACKLOG it would cause in an already massively overloaded testing service.

'The data shows that, of the 840,742 people currently waiting for diagnostic tests, more than half of those – 468,622 – have been waiting more than six weeks.'"

There is a huge backlog - but those are CT scans, lung function tests etc - hugely delayed by difficulty face to face testing and having people as close as we once had them

But they are different tests done in different ways to covid testing - stop testing for covid tomorrow and it wouldn’t help that backlog one jot - they’re done by different people in different departments

By *uckfunCouple  over a year ago

North Coast

"I bet you if you asked the majority of NHS staff, they would say that their gut feeling is it would not be a good "

I grew with you, Both of us are NHS, one of us theatres and the other A&E, we don’t agree with weekly testing, the majority of NHS staff have had zero patient contact over this lockdown period, wards & departments have been closed yet fully staffed. None c-19 patients such as red flag cancer patients that we have been dealing with have been isolated for 14 days and then tested, if negative we operate the next day.

What would the point of weekly testing of all NHS staff be? Monthly maybe, and if they are on Covid wards or respiratory A&E then maybe weekly.

staffordshire

"I bet you if you asked the majority of NHS staff, they would say that their gut feeling is it would not be a good

I grew with you, Both of us are NHS, one of us theatres and the other A&E, we don’t agree with weekly testing, the majority of NHS staff have had zero patient contact over this lockdown period, wards & departments have been closed yet fully staffed. None c-19 patients such as red flag cancer patients that we have been dealing with have been isolated for 14 days and then tested, if negative we operate the next day.

What would the point of weekly testing of all NHS staff be? Monthly maybe, and if they are on Covid wards or respiratory A&E then maybe weekly."

Acute and emergency staff yes

I wouldn’t agree with all staff including non patient facing etc

"I bet you if you asked the majority of NHS staff, they would say that their gut feeling is it would not be a good

What would the point of weekly testing of all NHS staff be? Monthly maybe, and if they are on Covid wards or respiratory A&E then maybe weekly."

Thanks guys. And thank you for your service.

» Add a new message to this topic