FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > £360m+ of corrupt PPE contracts

£360m+ of corrupt PPE contracts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uninlondon69 OP   Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

Jolyon Maugham QC is chasing the government over massive contracts given to friends of ministers with no other bidders.

£108m with a chocolatier and a pigeon net supplier.

£18.5m for face masks from a temporary employment agency with net assets of £322.

£252m from a financial company in a tax haven (Mauritius) who's website says that it is a "family office" focusing on currency trading - A guy called Andrew Mills joined their board in March - the same Andrew Mills who is also an advisor to Liz Truss and the Board of Trade.

I wonder why we weren't buying PPE as part of the EU consortium?

See @JolyonMaugham on twitter for the full story.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Don't think last I heard the EU consortium is working, Italy and spain got the ppe they needed from China didnt they? As regards rest of your post I have no idea about all that lol

Back end of last year, prior to "outbreak" reps from a certain countries gov't travelled worldwide buying up PPE to the tune of an equivilent £2bn.. PPE costs have multiplied 10 fold since then.... but hey, nothing in that to spark any kind of curiosity, and certainly not worth wasting your time looking into at all.

"Back end of last year, prior to "outbreak" reps from a certain countries gov't travelled worldwide buying up PPE to the tune of an equivilent £2bn.. PPE costs have multiplied 10 fold since then.... but hey, nothing in that to spark any kind of curiosity, and certainly not worth wasting your time looking into at all."

What is your point? where is your evidence? ‘Certain countries ‘ sounds very vague

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

Jolyon Maugham...enough said

Lewisham

"Jolyon Maugham...enough said "

Jolyon Maugham QC? Unlikely to make unsubstantiated claims.

Unfortunately this has been common knowledge to those paying close attention, for a couple of months now. The newest waste of money comes from buying the wrong satellite for our GPS system.

Lancashire

"Jolyon Maugham...enough said

Jolyon Maugham QC? Unlikely to make unsubstantiated claims."

You mean the guy who beat a fox to death in his garden and prominent Remainer nut job? Righto...

Lewisham

"Unfortunately this has been common knowledge to those paying close attention, for a couple of months now. The newest waste of money comes from buying the wrong satellite for our GPS system. "

And they get away with it because people like Nik M dismiss it as lies if they don't like the person telling them.

For those unaware, Jolyon Maugham is a lawyer who has made legal challenges to brexit. That makes his opinion invalid to some, despite the evidence he has produced from dodgy sources such as Companies House, the HMRC and the personal LinkedIn pages of those involved.

Why would a £250m contract for facemasks go to an offshore financial services company, who has a brand new board member who is also a trade adviser to the government?

Go on Nik, I'm open to your suggestions.

Lewisham

You mean the guy who beat a fox to death in his garden and prominent Remainer nut job? Righto... "

Yes, that one. But never mind the whataboutery, look at the evidence.

You mean the guy who beat a fox to death in his garden and prominent Remainer nut job? Righto... "

Was he prosecuted ?

Lewisham

You mean the guy who beat a fox to death in his garden and prominent Remainer nut job? Righto...

Was he prosecuted ? "

No, police took no action. It was a bit strange. I think it was Boxing Day, he posted on twitter that he'd found a fox tangled in his fence trying to get at his chickens. There was no way to release it without getting bitten so he clubbed it to death. Then told twitter with obvious results! I'd never heard of him till then.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

First and foremost we needed ppe

I don't think those on the front line gave a fiddler's fk where they came from as long as they worked.

There's other shit needs investigation like Boris dad, Cummings etc ...

Was he prosecuted ?

No, police took no action. It was a bit strange. I think it was Boxing Day, he posted on twitter that he'd found a fox tangled in his fence trying to get at his chickens. There was no way to release it without getting bitten so he clubbed it to death. Then told twitter with obvious results! I'd never heard of him till then."

Yeah, I read the same thing, I suppose it’s no worse than chasing a fox for hours on horse back and dogs and then ripping it to pieces

Lancashire

"Unfortunately this has been common knowledge to those paying close attention, for a couple of months now. The newest waste of money comes from buying the wrong satellite for our GPS system.

And they get away with it because people like Nik M dismiss it as lies if they don't like the person telling them.

For those unaware, Jolyon Maugham is a lawyer who has made legal challenges to brexit. That makes his opinion invalid to some, despite the evidence he has produced from dodgy sources such as Companies House, the HMRC and the personal LinkedIn pages of those involved.

Why would a £250m contract for facemasks go to an offshore financial services company, who has a brand new board member who is also a trade adviser to the government?

Go on Nik, I'm open to your suggestions."

First of all I dismiss his claims for the same reason you assume they’re gospel. His agenda and history of losing claims intended to undermine the government, particularly if he can throw the EU into the mix at any available opportunity is enough to make me question his agenda.

As for contracts, it’s has already been mentioned on here the dire need we had for ppe. There were multiple threads about it at the time. If something illegal happened then I’m sure it’ll all come out in the wash, if not your man will no doubt resurface in a few months with some new spurious claims.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

You sound surprised, the government will always look after their mates of financial backers.

Matt Hancock invited any company who could produce ppe to get in contact with the govt. For transparency there must be a record of what companies did and where the contracts went.

I'm sure some auditing can be done.

"You sound surprised, the government will always look after their mates of financial backers."

Every government no matter which party has always done this

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Ft times amongst others are listing some rather dubious companies who were awarded contracts.

However I'm sure given the gmnts history of integrity,honestly and openness there is nothing too see here.

liverpool

"You sound surprised, the government will always look after their mates of financial backers.

Every government no matter which party has always done this "

There is only 1 party who hosts functions where businesses pay thousands to attend and are allowed to "network" with high ranking ministers.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"You sound surprised, the government will always look after their mates of financial backers.

There is only 1 party who hosts functions where businesses pay thousands to attend and are allowed to "network" with high ranking ministers."

That you know of

They are all sneaky beakys, alot of underhand stuff goes on that none of us will ever hear about.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"Matt Hancock invited any company who could produce ppe to get in contact with the govt. For transparency there must be a record of what companies did and where the contracts went.

I'm sure some auditing can be done. "

And I'm sure Boris will reveal the results of the audit as quickly as he has shared the long-awaited Parliamentary report into alleged Russian interference in UK democracy he was given last October

By *hrobberMan  over a year ago

North West

It's all in the public domain on the the government procurement web sites. At least someone is looking at it instead of comming up with conspiracy theories over who is looking at it.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

This is nothing new, look at how Jeremy Hunt made all his millions flogging “data services” back to the government

liverpool

There is only 1 party who hosts functions where businesses pay thousands to attend and are allowed to "network" with high ranking ministers.

That you know of

They are all sneaky beakys, alot of underhand stuff goes on that none of us will ever hear about. "

There is always corruption in politics.

Some are worse..and more brazen Than others.

liverpool

"It's all in the public domain on the the government procurement web sites. At least someone is looking at it instead of comming up with conspiracy theories over who is looking at it."

It is.Shame so many people couldnt give a toss.

And loads of shit goes under the radar.

"First and foremost we needed ppe

I don't think those on the front line gave a fiddler's fk where they came from as long as they worked.

There's other shit needs investigation like Boris dad, Cummings etc ..."

If you think that boris's dad and Cummings is where our attention should be that is laughable. Like saying fuck the 500k that was robbed, they nicked my Nutella.

Don't get distracted from the bigger issues.

Dudley

That you know of

They are all sneaky beakys, alot of underhand stuff goes on that none of us will ever hear about.

Some are worse..and more brazen Than others."

Yep, it will never change. All parties to it to some extent. It's human instinct to look after you and yours first.

liverpool

That you know of

Yep, it will never change. All parties to it to some extent. It's human instinct to look after you and yours first."

I know but it doesnt make it right.

That you know of

Some are worse..and more brazen Than others."

It's wether that corruption cost lives. At the height of the pandemic emergency responders were instructed only to attend certain patients. One of the reasons for this (other than capacity) was the amount of ppe and other general equipment available. If its proven we went with one supplier over another (and it affected decisions on how to expidiate care) we could be looking at something very serious here.

Oh and while I'm at it has no one not been curious as to why a lot of G20 members responded in the exact same way to this no matter what. Driven by the science I think has been the buzzword of this pandemic.

Dudley

That you know of

Yep, it will never change. All parties to it to some extent. It's human instinct to look after you and yours first.

I know but it doesnt make it right."

Indeed.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Unfortunately this has been common knowledge to those paying close attention, for a couple of months now. The newest waste of money comes from buying the wrong satellite for our GPS system.

Go on Nik, I'm open to your suggestions."

Masks now deemed not fit for purpose..

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

Bring back slow hanging for any one committing corruption during the pandemic.

in Lancashire

"Bring back slow hanging for any one committing corruption during the pandemic."

Agreed but what about well intentioned incompetence?

That there are dodgy deals being done by any government should never come as any surprise to anybody, ever.

in Lancashire

"That there are dodgy deals being done by any government should never come as any surprise to anybody, ever."

Very true..

That you know of

It's wether that corruption cost lives. At the height of the pandemic emergency responders were instructed only to attend certain patients. One of the reasons for this (other than capacity) was the amount of ppe and other general equipment available. If its proven we went with one supplier over another (and it affected decisions on how to expidiate care) we could be looking at something very serious here.

Oh and while I'm at it has no one not been curious as to why a lot of G20 members responded in the exact same way to this no matter what. Driven by the science I think has been the buzzword of this pandemic. "

Driven by science only in the respect of being the fuel in the car. It doesn't do anything without a driver (frigging MP/PM).

By *irtycumboCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Love tgis post..... I've been saying fir years the tories have been doing this, just look at the shipping contracts they gave with a company with no ships. Surely this is all a pay off to their pals and money laundering at its finest.

The mafia don't walk the streets no more they are inside the parliament nowadays

"Jolyon Maugham QC is chasing the government over massive contracts given to friends of ministers with no other bidders.

£18.5m for face masks from a temporary employment agency with net assets of £322.

£252m from a financial company in a tax haven (Mauritius) who's website says that it is a "family office" focusing on currency trading - A guy called Andrew Mills joined their board in March - the same Andrew Mills who is also an advisor to Liz Truss and the Board of Trade.

See @JolyonMaugham on twitter for the full story."

Sadly, is anyone surprised?

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I don't get the comments of "all parties " have corruption, we can all probably take a wild guess that it does but it doesn't mean it is right.

I think it tries to deflect what is happening NOW, which is an absolute disgrace.

If people pretend they don't know what party is in power and go on the actions I think answers would be totally different by some

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

The straps are able to be pulled tight enough, maybe not good enough to stop breathing in airborne viruses but will still be fine for use of public on shops etc.

Some just want to see the bad in everything, just like those who claimed that the counting of gloves was a lie, of course those of us who actually buy packs of latex or nitrile gloves to use in our work know they are sold in boxes of 100 gloves not as pairs,if you order gloves you order by the hundred not by pairs but hey why let the facts get in the way of bias.

It must be really sad living life with such hate in your heart

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

The masks were supplied as fit for purpose for medical use. It turns out that they are not.

Who’s going to tell me that’s not breach of contract?

I offloaded a huge consignment of masks at Heathrow not so long ago, all to be distributed around the London area..have a guess where they came from and where they were made..that’s right..China..!!!

You couldn’t make it up.

liverpool

"The straps are able to be pulled tight enough, maybe not good enough to stop breathing in airborne viruses but will still be fine for use of public on shops etc.

Some just want to see the bad in everything, just like those who claimed that the counting of gloves was a lie, of course those of us who actually buy packs of latex or nitrile gloves to use in our work know they are sold in boxes of 100 gloves not as pairs,if you order gloves you order by the hundred not by pairs but hey why let the facts get in the way of bias.

It must be really sad living life with such hate in your heart"

Were they bought to be used on the bus?

Uk is more corrupt than ever.

bournemouth

"The straps are able to be pulled tight enough, maybe not good enough to stop breathing in airborne viruses but will still be fine for use of public on shops etc.

Were they bought to be used on the bus?"

If they dont meet the spec the government is not at fault is it?

the maker will have to take the hit,

liverpool

the maker will have to take the hit, "

Who awarded the contract?

There was a story The other week about contracts being given to various companies who either had no experience in ppe or seemed ill equipped to provide the necessary equipment.

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

"Jolyon Maugham QC is chasing the government over massive contracts given to friends of ministers with no other bidders.

See @JolyonMaugham on twitter for the full story."

This was also highlighted when rising sunak got roasted by mps at treasury select meeting last month

You want corrupt... Look at that peice of shit and his past including every financial fund he set up prior to government... Strategically investing in companies that limit their tax liability.

Then there is his boss at the time who had to settle a massive hmrc tax bill... Reduced of course though.

Its one thing to be a fucking spineliess fuck nugget like him.

But to have the bare face cheek to run the government institution that you built your career fucking over is another.

But when your step daddy is the 2nd richest man in India and you are the richest mp in the house. I guess you get to make the rules about how it's going to be taxed.

I can't wait for him to pop into my local wagamamas without a mask on serving food laughing about doing a minimum wage job like it's beneath him.

Ill ask him why he's not wearing one of the masks his pm mates supplied

You can bet your bottom dollar fish faced gove, has his slimy little fingers in the pie!!

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

Corruption is all around I know quite a few self employed who have claimed the money whilst still continuing to work more or less as normal, mind you HMRC may well catch these eventually.

in Lancashire

It must be really sad living life with such hate in your heart"

They were for NHS staff so any issues with whether the item was fit for purpose should have been addressed before they were ordered..

Maybe is not acceptable for ppe for those at the front line of this pandemic, of whom there has already been a heavy toll..

And as for hate, that possibly says more about how you see things..

One can scrutinise this governments actions as equally as Blair's etc without such thing's being there..

in Lancashire

There was a story The other week about contracts being given to various companies who either had no experience in ppe or seemed ill equipped to provide the necessary equipment. "

Whilst UK companies with a proven track record in the area of Ppe were ignored..

And have been supplying other countries whilst we were desperate for stuff from Turkey and China to arrive..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

There is a company in Derbyshire who make clothes so started making gowns when the virus hit. They said if they had got a contract they would have been able to take an extra 3000 staff on...their offers of help were ignored.

"There is a company in Derbyshire who make clothes so started making gowns when the virus hit. They said if they had got a contract they would have been able to take an extra 3000 staff on...their offers of help were ignored.

"

Yep it definitely seemed a case of who you know rather then competency...

in Lancashire

"There is a company in Derbyshire who make clothes so started making gowns when the virus hit. They said if they had got a contract they would have been able to take an extra 3000 staff on...their offers of help were ignored.

"

Tbh at the height of this wave I can see how that might happen, they the government would have been inundated and overwhelmed possibly given the it's to the civil service with companies looking to help along with those looking to profit and exploit the panic..

One might think someone could access a data base and see which companies had previously supplied the medical/care sectors..

Or is far too simplistic..

That companies were ignored with a proven track record in the field and finance companies with no experience at all were awarded contracts for ppe is either gross negligence or something more sinister..

liverpool

"

They should have hired a tory minister as an advisor.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"Unfortunately this has been common knowledge to those paying close attention, for a couple of months now. The newest waste of money comes from buying the wrong satellite for our GPS system. "

It happens all the tine just research how Jeremy Hunt made his millions selling data back to the government , data that his company was paid by the government to collect in the first place.

Tory MPs treat theirs jobs as an MP as lead generation and business development exercises.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

That companies were ignored with a proven track record in the field and finance companies with no experience at all were awarded contracts for ppe is either gross negligence or something more sinister..

"

I agree.... especially as it would have created jobs too

Forum Mod

O o O oo

They should have hired a tory minister as an advisor. "

Or pretended they had a company with no track record and had a friend in high places

liverpool

It happens all the tine just research how Jeremy Hunt made his millions selling data back to the government , data that his company was paid by the government to collect in the first place.

Tory MPs treat theirs jobs as an MP as lead generation and business development exercises. "

They dont even try to hide it.

They know most people dont care.They have got an 80 seat majority and 4 years to come up with a meaningless slogan to distract people.

bournemouth

There was a story The other week about contracts being given to various companies who either had no experience in ppe or seemed ill equipped to provide the necessary equipment. "

The civil servant or nhs buyer tasked with it would have awarded the contract,do you really think that ministers check the spec, prices etc etc on every contract the government signs, perhaps they make the tea and clear the bins too,

There was a story The other week about contracts being given to various companies who either had no experience in ppe or seemed ill equipped to provide the necessary equipment.

The civil servant or nhs buyer tasked with it would have awarded the contract,do you really think that ministers check the spec, prices etc etc on every contract the government signs, perhaps they make the tea and clear the bins too, "

I think with the amount of money that was available for pep...you are very gullible if you think that...

liverpool

The civil servant or nhs buyer tasked with it would have awarded the contract,do you really think that ministers check the spec, prices etc etc on every contract the government signs, perhaps they make the tea and clear the bins too, "

So the gmnt has no say whatsoever?

*PPE

liverpool

Multi million pound contracts and the gmnt let the office junior make the decision?

bournemouth

Its called delegation and its not going to be an office junior, Im sure ministers get briefed on certain purchases but thats the whole point they get briefed by civil servants and thus rely on that advice,there are many types of masks do you really think that a government minister knows one from another, its not his/her job hats what the army of civil servants do, Im not sure that in this case the government would have much of an input, the NHS buys its own PPE although the gov has been involved in trying to source extra supplies.

Do you think that the boss of tesco's knows anything about the different types of shampoo they stock for instance, but hey why lt facts get in the way far easier to blame the government

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I think you are being naive. I doubt if these size contracts could be awarded without a senior figure going over them. Also the Government were trying to secure the PPE not the hospitals as normal because there wasn't any to be had

Did you not see any press conferences where Matt Hancock updated about the PPE and how they were getting it?

liverpool

"Its called delegation and its not going to be an office junior, Im sure ministers get briefed on certain purchases but thats the whole point they get briefed by civil servants and thus rely on that advice,there are many types of masks do you really think that a government minister knows one from another, its not his/her job hats what the army of civil servants do, Im not sure that in this case the government would have much of an input, the NHS buys its own PPE although the gov has been involved in trying to source extra supplies.

Do you think that the boss of tesco's knows anything about the different types of shampoo they stock for instance, but hey why lt facts get in the way far easier to blame the government "

Well 1st of all let's ignore the fact that several contracts were awarded to companies with close connections to the conservative party.

Probably just a coincidence.

Couldn't that argument be made about practically everything?

New it system at passport office proves to be a fuck up?well the civil servant recommended it?

Universal credit not fut for purpose?well The civil servant recommended it.

The health minister is responsible for the health service in this country.My guess is a senior civil will pass his report onto the minister who will then make the final decision. After all we are talking about multi million pound contracts here.He will also have a number of advisors but as minister the ultimate responsibility is his.

You would expect 1 or 2 to slip through the net but it's more than that.

As above its either incompetence or corruption.

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

"I think you are being naive. I doubt if these size contracts could be awarded without a senior figure going over them. Also the Government were trying to secure the PPE not the hospitals as normal because there wasn't any to be had

Did you not see any press conferences where Matt Hancock updated about the PPE and how they were getting it?"

I think you are naive to think an mp would open themselves upto that kind of liability.

These is why civil servants are there. Consider them the foot soliders (Canon fodder) and the mps the generals.

Sunak was challenged on this 6 weeks ago and evaded all responsibility first getting his aide to answer questions then shifting the focus on contracts onto the civil services.

https://youtu.be/xpU6_DM5Vag

Starts at the 25 minute mark

If anyone has had the misfortune on bidding on a government contract you'll know what a cluster fuck it is.

And how naive most of the purchase as managers are not only to price but also quality.

Contracts are usually picked on convenience for the manager and established relationships

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I think you are being naive. I doubt if these size contracts could be awarded without a senior figure going over them. Also the Government were trying to secure the PPE not the hospitals as normal because there wasn't any to be had

Did you not see any press conferences where Matt Hancock updated about the PPE and how they were getting it?

I think you are naive to think an mp would open themselves upto that kind of liability.

These is why civil servants are there. Consider them the foot soliders (Canon fodder) and the mps the generals.

"

I think most people guess they will try and get out of any responsibility and I don't believe anything I have said on this threads means I don't think the same

But as they keep saying the buck stops with them

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Oh Dear, the more I read about this today the more corrupt it is, how they have the brass neck I really don't know

This is tax payers money remember or money that we will all be paying extra tax for for years to come

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Oh Dear, the more I read about this today the more corrupt it is, how they have the brass neck I really don't know

This is tax payers money remember or money that we will all be paying extra tax for for years to come "

On this occasion with the Prospermill /Ayenda tender - I would agree - Its a proper shit hole that they have continued to dig down into.

Lewisham

This stuff may be their undoing. They'e fucked a lot up in the pandemic and been massively immoral as a group, but haven't done lots illegal enough to annoy their paymasters. Stuff that would have brought down governments in the past, this lot just brazen it out until most are bored of it and move on.

This is corruption and cronyism on a grand scale though and police need to be arresting people, starting with Andrew Mills.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"This stuff may be their undoing. They'e fucked a lot up in the pandemic and been massively immoral as a group, but haven't done lots illegal enough to annoy their paymasters. Stuff that would have brought down governments in the past, this lot just brazen it out until most are bored of it and move on.

This is corruption and cronyism on a grand scale though and police need to be arresting people, starting with Andrew Mills."

I wouldn't get too excited at the prospect of pc plod coming along and chucking people in prison.

As in the game of Monopoly, the "Get out of Jail Free" card is always handy, and during this whole period of covid19 many procedures, processes and checks were untethered via the introduction of new laws and powers....

Putting it another way... the phrase "unprecedented situation" will be wheeled out in order to cover some of these anomalies

» Add a new message to this topic