FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > masks

masks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *evaquit OP   Couple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

Have you got yours for Friday? Shops and supermarket requirements. All set?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

yep, we've had masks for months

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A pair of knickers should do the trick i wonder if il get any funny looks haha

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"A pair of knickers should do the trick i wonder if il get any funny looks haha"

Depends which end you put them on...

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I've had them since the start x

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I’ve got one with pussies on!

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I had to wear one today at the doctors,piggin awful it was.

"A pair of knickers should do the trick i wonder if il get any funny looks haha

Depends which end you put them on... "

Hahaha im sure il be fine as long as my nose and mouth are covered ay ha

By *assy211279Woman  over a year ago

middle of nowhere Cornwall

I have some but my real one gets here Saturday. Surgical masks set my asthma off. But I have realised that I can finally walk around in cowgirl outfit with the dust cover on. Look out in the shops for me

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Yea, all ready for shops, travel etc, had mine for some time. I encourage you to use washable masks that reduces plastic waste

I've been wearing mine since April. Surgical for work. Washable for shopping

Work in one for 9 hrs..

By *osmocoupleMan  over a year ago

East Sussex

Our store has been told by head office to let people in regardless as refusing people who don't have masks will put us at personal risk

By *ancs_tgirl_38TV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

[Removed by poster at 22/07/20 23:25:42]

Blackpool

[Removed by poster at 22/07/20 23:28:28]

"Our store has been told by head office to let people in regardless as refusing people who don't have masks will put us at personal risk"

Stores will end up losing custom coz not everyone is gonna wear a mask anyway

"Our store has been told by head office to let people in regardless as refusing people who don't have masks will put us at personal risk"

Well that's a company I would be handing my notice in to immediately.. wait till they srart getting Fined for it.. or a staff member gets ill. How blinkered.. profit before health..

Blackpool

If stores start to hassle folks they will lose out. Just a gentle reminder this is not communist China and it never will be okay, I give it 3 weeks before Boris sees his economy figures ass and reverses, LIBERTY

"Work in one for 9 hrs..

"

I'm a bit jealous. I do 12 hours

Forum Mod

East Sussex

If I worked in retail I wouldn't be too happy having to challenge people who weren't wearing masks.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"Our store has been told by head office to let people in regardless as refusing people who don't have masks will put us at personal risk

Stores will end up losing custom coz not everyone is gonna wear a mask anyway "

Wrong. Shops are busy in Scotland and from my experience almost 100% are wearing masks. I don't see why it would be different in England.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Our store has been told by head office to let people in regardless as refusing people who don't have masks will put us at personal risk

Wrong. Shops are busy in Scotland and from my experience almost 100% are wearing masks. I don't see why it would be different in England."

I think most people will comply. You'll always get one or two who won't, as with everything

scotland

Wrong. Shops are busy in Scotland and from my experience almost 100% are wearing masks. I don't see why it would be different in England.

I think most people will comply. You'll always get one or two who won't, as with everything"

Exactly what I have seen. 2 girls about 14-15 in a shop. 1 old guy who was coughing his guts up (assuming due to another medical condition) and a guy who look like he was a bit of a ****.

Girl on till in supermarket said to me people were complying throughout her working day.

There should be no issue.

By *elnkazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

"I had to wear one today at the doctors,piggin awful it was."
try wearing them all day to see patients as well as visors gloves aprons and scrubs!!!!

I've had them for ages. They're really not that bad.

I have been wearing one at the shops for the last three times I went. I wanted to see how it affected my asthma before becoming mandatory.

Not had any issues with it at all thankfully!

I think most people will comply. You'll always get one or two who won't, as with everything"

When I did my weekly food shop most people were already wearing them whereas they hadn't before.

I wore one at the hairdressers. No big deal.

Had mine for awhile but might get another one that goes over the ears rather than head.

It will become commonplace and normal - wallet, keys, phone, mask.

Just heard on the radio that if you go into a sandwich shop to buy something to take away, you will need to wear a mask.

However if you go into the sandwich shop to eat in, you don't have to.

The distance between the queue to buy takeout and eat in is 12 feet

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Have you got yours for Friday? Shops and supermarket requirements. All set? "

Yep, been wearing one from the very start in March. Don't need big brother to tell me what to do.

Tin town

Wrong. Shops are busy in Scotland and from my experience almost 100% are wearing masks. I don't see why it would be different in England."

People will be happier spending longer in a "safe" shopping environment.

Staff having to police the wearing of masks is asking too much of them. Store security at a minimum should be doing thst. I can't see the police going to a shop because of s report someone isn't wearing a mask

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Once the majority are doing it, it will just become the normal thing to do. Wearing a mask when indoors with others will become as much socially expected as wearing pants. You don't go shopping with your cock hanging out / vag on show, you won't go shopping with your mouth and nose uncovered.

"Just heard on the radio that if you go into a sandwich shop to buy something to take away, you will need to wear a mask.

The distance between the queue to buy takeout and eat in is 12 feet "

Aye I heard this too and tbh it makes sense to do it...but it would have been helpful if this was clarified earlier so the shops could prepare for this, rather then the day before...

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Had our first masks in October last year. Bought them to go to Scarefest at Alton Towers. (spooky foresight)

Home made 20 since. And have 10 n95 that I bought for Dental check-ups and two hospital visits.

Never not worn one in a shop so far.

By *inkie and perkyCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield/manchester

thats great so with no medical science confirming protection we now have a cure and no need for a vaccince.

masks have been worn in china for years.

virus transmits through the eyes.lets watch and see

"Had our first masks in October last year. Bought them to go to Scarefest at Alton Towers. (spooky foresight)

Home made 20 since. And have 10 n95 that I bought for Dental check-ups and two hospital visits.

Never not worn one in a shop so far. "

How does a dental check up work with a mask on

"Had our first masks in October last year. Bought them to go to Scarefest at Alton Towers. (spooky foresight)

Never not worn one in a shop so far.

How does a dental check up work with a mask on "

Wear it in reception and until the dentist says remove it - then he said put it back on after the check - gave me a lollipop and said see you in 3 months.

"yep, we've had masks for months"

This

Blackpool

Lots of folks may not want to hear this, but masks will never become the new normal in England. Went on a train yesterday, most folks dropped them to the chin once on board. There is a massive cultural difference between England and China or England and Europe when it comes to that.....

"Lots of folks may not want to hear this, but masks will never become the new normal in England. Went on a train yesterday, most folks dropped them to the chin once on board. There is a massive cultural difference between England and China or England and Europe when it comes to that..... "

Ah so the east and west then...so we are in solidarity only with the red necks of America eh on not wearing masks

In a country where you can’t get people to stick to a speed limit on a road because they know best, masks are going to be a nightmare to police

"In a country where you can’t get people to stick to a speed limit on a road because they know best, masks are going to be a nightmare to police "

Speeding easy pickings for the police as will masks be. now serious sex crimes eh...

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"In a country where you can’t get people to stick to a speed limit on a road because they know best, masks are going to be a nightmare to police "

Most police forces and quite a few shops have indicated that they will not be enforcing.

"In a country where you can’t get people to stick to a speed limit on a road because they know best, masks are going to be a nightmare to police

Most police forces and quite a few shops have indicated that they will not be enforcing."

Yet

Bearing in mind all the un-regulated facial-recognition being rolled-out by Police Forces all over the country I think the last thing Police want is for the general population to be wearing masks on a regular basis.

"In a country where you can’t get people to stick to a speed limit on a road because they know best, masks are going to be a nightmare to police

Bearing in mind all the un-regulated facial-recognition being rolled-out by Police Forces all over the country I think the last thing Police want is for the general population to be wearing masks on a regular basis.

"

China quickly developed face recognition that works with face masks...

By *tevelizCouple  over a year ago

northampton

have made the decision that i shall not be going into shops. Would rather be able to breath than buy.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Have you got yours for Friday? Shops and supermarket requirements. All set? have made the decision that i shall not be going into shops. Would rather be able to breath than buy."

Online or click and collect to your car boot.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"

Police have already said they won't be enforcing it.

China quickly developed face recognition that works with face masks..."

Don't live in China.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"thats great so with no medical science confirming protection we now have a cure and no need for a vaccince.

virus transmits through the eyes.lets watch and see"

Unless your special, it won't come out of your eyes.

Face coverings are to limit you giving Covid not receiving it

Don't live in China. "

But we havent stopped trading with them...should think it only requires a software update..

"thats great so with no medical science confirming protection we now have a cure and no need for a vaccince.

virus transmits through the eyes.lets watch and see

Unless your special, it won't come out of your eyes.

Face coverings are to limit you giving Covid not receiving it "

Good point

Don't live in China.

But we havent stopped trading with them...should think it only requires a software update.."

Lots of stuff can beat it too.

Tin town

Most police forces and quite a few shops have indicated that they will not be enforcing."

Why should they need to.? Presumably in a caring compassionate responsible society everyone will do the right thing for the sake of our nations well being.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"A pair of knickers should do the trick i wonder if il get any funny looks haha"

Did this ladt week, didnt get funny looks but with a stubble, it looked like a fanny!!

By *ensual pleasures 69Man  over a year ago

leeds

"Have you got yours for Friday? Shops and supermarket requirements. All set? have made the decision that i shall not be going into shops. Would rather be able to breath than buy."

Interesting......reminds of the guy who decided to find out how long his dog would live without food....but it died!!

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"Just heard on the radio that if you go into a sandwich shop to buy something to take away, you will need to wear a mask.

The distance between the queue to buy takeout and eat in is 12 feet "

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that you can't eat and drink whilst wearing a mask.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 23/07/20 13:35:29]

Longridge

Speeding easy pickings for the police as will masks be. now serious sex crimes eh..."

"Speeding" is actually a dangerous, socially unacceptable and selfish behaviour that kills innocent people as is using a mobile phone while driving.

Since and during lockdown, it has become more prevalent and many are emboldened by the lack of police on the roads.

It took a very good speed awareness course for me to the reasons why a years ago.

It is not big and certainly not brave or clever, it kills and as such should be checked.

The last 3 months prove it so.

As it was put to me when I got caught once, "you are privileged to hold a licence, it is not a right to have it".

As for policing masks, damn right they should as again, selfishness of not wearing one could potentially kill or make others seriously ill. Long overdue and needs enforcing although it should not need to be in a civilised society.

Blackburn is not far from here and infection is over spilling into surrounding areas. So, why should I have to endure further restrictions on my life because selfish idiots refuse to wear masks and distance to protect others?

Is it a right to dismiss public health, it is simple, wear the mask - you dont get a fine.

As for shops loosing custom, I will refuse to enter a shop not insisting on customers wearing masks.

A shop is private property and if you are not happy with terms of entry, go somewhere else.

Why people are trying to defend not wearing masks is beyond me.

Tin town

It's become a bit of a sport hasn't it for "privelaged" people to seek our anomalies and inconsistencies in the rules, to highlight what you can get away with and the fact that it isn't policed or enforced. I don't really understand it personally.

Is it better to spread the virus or not? Is it better to do what we can to reduce its spread or not? Then why would you choose not to? Baffling

I was looking at masks on Amazon the day before it was announced they would be mandatory in England for £5.99. The following day the same masks were £25.99 for the same pack.

We’re not needing them in Wales yet, but I’ve no doubt Mark Drakeford will not only make them compulsory before long but probably go a step further and make them mandatory everywhere, such is the way he is trying to keep us two kilometres behind England.

[Removed by poster at 23/07/20 14:02:31]

Why do people have such an issue with wearing one? It's no big deal, just protect people, it's the right thing to do

Speeding easy pickings for the police as will masks be. now serious sex crimes eh...

"Speeding" is actually a dangerous, socially unacceptable and selfish behaviour that kills innocent people as is using a mobile phone while driving.

Since and during lockdown, it has become more prevalent and many are emboldened by the lack of police on the roads.

It took a very good speed awareness course for me to the reasons why a years ago.

It is not big and certainly not brave or clever, it kills and as such should be checked.

The last 3 months prove it so.

As it was put to me when I got caught once, "you are privileged to hold a licence, it is not a right to have it".

As for policing masks, damn right they should as again, selfishness of not wearing one could potentially kill or make others seriously ill. Long overdue and needs enforcing although it should not need to be in a civilised society.

Blackburn is not far from here and infection is over spilling into surrounding areas. So, why should I have to endure further restrictions on my life because selfish idiots refuse to wear masks and distance to protect others?

Is it a right to dismiss public health, it is simple, wear the mask - you dont get a fine.

As for shops loosing custom, I will refuse to enter a shop not insisting on customers wearing masks.

A shop is private property and if you are not happy with terms of entry, go somewhere else.

Why people are trying to defend not wearing masks is beyond me.

"

So all the unprosecuted sex crimes are ok to you then?

By *ongWayAroundMan  over a year ago

Boston

Face coverings do nothing what so ever to protect anyone from this virus. Nothing.

Medical grade facemasks do virtually nothing to protect anyone from this virus.

PPE is still rightfully reserved for the medical professionals. Even when being used by trained professionals in controlled conditions they do not have complete protection.

Why not? Remember this virus is spread by aerosol, not just by saliva and mucal droplets, insert your own research on particulate filters here. If your mask does not fit tightly around your nose and mouth you will be sucking that air in. Remember the doctors and nurses with the bruises on their faces? If by any miracle the hanky you have put over your face does catch the virus on its way to your lungs, then it is now contaminated. That contaminated garment is now rubbing on your face. Touch it with your hand it is now contaminated. It is vitally important to change dispose of these masks regularly and in hygienically safe way. Putting them on a 30° wash is not going to kill the virus.

Im not saying don't wear the medical grade masks. I'm saying don't wear a face covering made of cotton. You would not use a cotton condom and think it will protect you from HIV. You wouldn't let a complete stranger spunk in a hanky then wank yourself with it. Don't do it. I'm saying if your wearing a medical grade face mask then learn and understand how to use it effectively and don't let it put you at even greater risk.

Yes we have got the numbers down. That looks good. We know how we did it too. Stay home except for essential journeys. If you do show any symptoms then isolate and get a test. If you have got it then isolate until you recover. Do not put a fucking hanky over your mouth and spread that shit to the rest of us. What we have done so far has worked, maybe not as well as it might have. Don't fool yourself into thinking a pretty face mask you bought on Facebook reduces your risks.

The advice being handed out from government is a inconsistent at best. Yes in the co-op, not while you are queuing outside. Yes when your picking up a four pack from Tesco Express, no when your downing a few with your socially distanced mates down the pub. Yes when you are on the tube, no when your kids get on the school bus. It is handed out in the vaguest of ways. The government did purchase huge amounts of worthless face masks at the beginning of this pandemic. Where do you think those masks have gone? Hmmmm? Do not listen to polititions telling you what to do. They do not know best and have alternate agendas. I am interested in finding out what law the citizens would be guilty of. Are the staff in the shops going to police this new law, or just be the snitches?

Be safe. Don't be fools. Wash your hands just as before. Keep away from people as much as you can. If you have symptoms then isolate and get a test. Don't risk yourself, your family and friends or the rest of us by thinking a mask prevents cv-19 from spreading.

Staff having to police the wearing of masks is asking too much of them. Store security at a minimum should be doing thst. I can't see the police going to a shop because of s report someone isn't wearing a mask "

It wasn't so long ago a shop wouldn't admit you if you were wearing a mask

I have had mine for few months, it is especially useful in enclosed spaces like shops and transport. I think to make it affective it should be policed from the start too

Not going shopping much after friday. Can't be arsed with all the faffing around. My guess is an awful lot of people will think the same but what do I know. Good luck shops. I think you are gonna need it.

I feel for the staff tomorrow, because no doubt there will be someone who will refuse to wear a mask or any face coverings & will selfishly cause grief for the staff because they don’t want to abide by the requirements

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"Not going shopping much after friday. Can't be arsed with all the faffing around. My guess is an awful lot of people will think the same but what do I know. Good luck shops. I think you are gonna need it. "

Yes my shopping habits will change, supermarkets only. I've spent more online since I've been at home

"Not going shopping much after friday. Can't be arsed with all the faffing around. My guess is an awful lot of people will think the same but what do I know. Good luck shops. I think you are gonna need it. ,

Yes my shopping habits will change, supermarkets only. I've spent more online since I've been at home "

Yes it's looking like supermarkets and online for us too.

For the time being.

By *tevelizCouple  over a year ago

northampton

"Have you got yours for Friday? Shops and supermarket requirements. All set? have made the decision that i shall not be going into shops. Would rather be able to breath than buy.

Interesting......reminds of the guy who decided to find out how long his dog would live without food....but it died!! "

have you never heard of online shopping. No reason to go into any shop.

Still going to have some impact as I can't be the only one who hasn't gone to shops because of it, yes I do online foods hop but not from a supermarket and there's incidental impulse buying which isn't happening. Not saying people aren't going to the shops but it's definitely having an impact.

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

All remains to be seen what happens for us today

I work in a shop and have been told to wear a mask even tho we don’t have to

We can’t let customers in unless they are wearing one

Will keep you updated

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"All remains to be seen what happens for us today

Will keep you updated"

Hope everything goes OK for you. X

Iv heard a few people moaning about having to wear a mask, we've not been asked to fight in the trenches or go over the top in the battle of the somme scenario,ffs just wear one,it's a small sacrifice

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple  over a year ago

Chester

Had my splurge last few weekends before the sneaky virus moved on at midnight last night, so specific. Will play safe on the odd occasion I nip in supermarket or shop by always eating and drinking on foot as this is deemed safe.

"Once the majority are doing it, it will just become the normal thing to do. Wearing a mask when indoors with others will become as much socially expected as wearing pants. You don't go shopping with your cock hanging out / vag on show, you won't go shopping with your mouth and nose uncovered."

Depends what kind of shop your in

By *nowsleyladMan  over a year ago

NW

What store is this if you dont mind me asking?

chelmsford

"All remains to be seen what happens for us today

Will keep you updated"

Good luck x

NW

If the masks work and stop people spreading the virus then why didnt the same mask that the chinese have worn for years stop the virus spreading over there?

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Most police forces and quite a few shops have indicated that they will not be enforcing.

Why should they need to.? Presumably in a caring compassionate responsible society everyone will do the right thing for the sake of our nations well being. "

But that's where the problem lies - doing the right thing. I've seen so many people ignoring social distancing which has been proven to reduce the spread, and people out & about coughing everywhere including a chap on a cash desk who was continually coughing. In each case the right thing would have been so easy - keep distanced and stay home and isolate if you have a new cough.

With face coverings people will no doubt think they can further reduce social distancing as I've seen from my very occasional trip to the supermarket.

By *eep.Man  over a year ago

Just a background character

"If the masks work and stop people spreading the virus then why didnt the same mask that the chinese have worn for years stop the virus spreading over there?"

That's about as reasonable as arguing there's no point in wearing a seat belt because people still die in car accidents.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

We've worn face coverings from day one in enclosed spaces. Every little thing helps. People are so fickle, remember they weren't going to put seat belts on when it became law. Even further back when everyone on a motorbike were told helmets were compulsory there was an uproar. Face masks just another practical move to help try to control this deadly virus.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Why should they need to.? Presumably in a caring compassionate responsible society everyone will do the right thing for the sake of our nations well being. "

caring compassionate society??? where have you been hiding the last few years tht society stopped existing ages ago

NW

"If the masks work and stop people spreading the virus then why didnt the same mask that the chinese have worn for years stop the virus spreading over there?

That's about as reasonable as arguing there's no point in wearing a seat belt because people still die in car accidents. "

Cant compare a so called deadly virus to a seatbelt, but you carry on

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Really nice to hear society is pulling together during this pandemic. Oh yea that was after people ransacked the shops right at the start, then they pulled together. Oh yea and all the people who didn't think lock down included them. Face masks now so let's pull together. Let's respect one another

Hmmm, anything, even the common or garden head scarf can act as a C-19 barrier.

Remind me what those virologists in research laboratories wear again, troops in CBRN kit?

Not any old bit of cloth, not industrial dust masks.

Still, no worries we've got a couple of nice go outdoors snoods,they should stop the virus dead!

Chester

"Hmmm, anything, even the common or garden head scarf can act as a C-19 barrier.

Remind me what those virologists in research laboratories wear again, troops in CBRN kit?

Not any old bit of cloth, not industrial dust masks.

Still, no worries we've got a couple of nice go outdoors snoods,they should stop the virus dead! "

We've same lovely thin and silky on skin

I've just been in town for a hour and wore mine there and back. No issues for me personally, just a bit hot! Makes me feel a bit safer too. I'm in the habit of having my hand sanitizer in my jacket pocket now so I can pick up the mask habit too.

chelmsford

Been in town, everyone with their masks on, no problem

By *ackietv1TV/TS  over a year ago

caerphilly

Face coverings supposedly stop a person coughing the virus out. They offer no protection if someone coughs on you.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

"Been in town, everyone with their masks on, no problem "

That’s good

chelmsford

"Face coverings supposedly stop a person coughing the virus out. They offer no protection if someone coughs on you."

So can only be a good thing

chelmsford

"Been in town, everyone with their masks on, no problem

That’s good "

It is Babs x

Catthorpe

We wore ours today in Tesco. It was being positively encouraged before going in by security staff. There were still those we witnessed flately refusing and didn't offer a medical reason as to why, just argued (overhead).

Overall its was a positive experience. Brought back the belief that good people are very much in abundance and in the ascendancy it seems.

By *andKBCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth

I've got a box of surgical ones from work (they gave them to us). For now I'm wearing but I'll some fabric ones for longer term.

Work have just changed our policies to mask full time and my ears are sore!! 12 hours a day is a long time. Then an hours bus journey. So to me going shopping in one isnt going to be that hard.

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I bought a set of 9 stretchy tube face covers. My profile pic is my fave one.

East Sussex

"We wore ours today in Tesco. It was being positively encouraged before going in by security staff. There were still those we witnessed flately refusing and didn't offer a medical reason as to why, just argued (overhead).

Overall its was a positive experience. Brought back the belief that good people are very much in abundance and in the ascendancy it seems. "

I work for Tesco and because we don't have any security (we are an express store) have been advised by head office not to refuse anyone without a mask

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Face coverings supposedly stop a person coughing the virus out. They offer no protection if someone coughs on you.

So can only be a good thing "

Yes. Other people protect you by wearing a mask. You protect them. And we still keep our distance. We look after each other.

Longridge

Made my own using templates from here:

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

Best fitting ones I have tried a d templates are free - just choose right ones for manual sewing.

Recommendation is 3 layers. Any cotton such as old pillow case, bedsheet or curtains material with a cotton cloth sandwiched in beteen.

Dust sheet or any other thick cotton will do. My first attemp using polyester was like waterboarding, so use material more porous such as cotton for all 3 layers.

Also, a great Space version using planet curtain material off fleabay.

They take 5 mins to knock up.

Fully washable, don't waste money and create further landfill with disposables.

scotland

"If the masks work and stop people spreading the virus then why didnt the same mask that the chinese have worn for years stop the virus spreading over there?"

They don't STOP the virus from spreading. They reduce the spread.

When do the Chinese wear masks? Outside in the pollution / public transport or all the time? I bet they don't wear them in the workplace etc and therefore can spread viruses on like the rest of us.

Also, have you noticed that the numbers of cases/deaths (no idea how accurate they were) took 2 months to ramp up and drop back down to a handful. Perhaps because the Chinese food the guidance better than us?

By *andR510Couple  over a year ago

St Neots/Wisbech

Got our face coverings, as you can imagine we've had some looks

the wetlands

If the figures are correct then I think you'll find it did work over there.

"If the masks work and stop people spreading the virus then why didnt the same mask that the chinese have worn for years stop the virus spreading over there?

If the figures are correct then I think you'll find it did work over there."

4 new cases in Vietnam today...they have evacuated a whole town of 1000s of people...we cant even shut a town down properly. Big difference in how the Asian's deal with this to us...

Just been shopping in a supermarket for the first time since lockdown began.

100% compliance with mask wearing by customers and staff. Felt very safe if a little strange that it was a lot quieter than the last time I went pre lockdown. ??

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

4 new cases in Vietnam today...they have evacuated a whole town of 1000s of people...we cant even shut a town down properly. Big difference in how the Asian's deal with this to us..."

So you think the uk should be doing the same thing?

4 new cases in Vietnam today...they have evacuated a whole town of 1000s of people...we cant even shut a town down properly. Big difference in how the Asian's deal with this to us...So you think the uk should be doing the same thing?"

Hey Vietnam is next door to china and hasn't had 1 death...yes I would. Their government seems to be looking after their people a with the way they have handled this dont you think?

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

If the figures are correct then I think you'll find it did work over there."

what about Spain they have been wearing masks even in street ?

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

4 new cases in Vietnam today...they have evacuated a whole town of 1000s of people...we cant even shut a town down properly. Big difference in how the Asian's deal with this to us..."

Can you imagine us self entitled brits toeing the line In Vietnam, we had how many protests and gatherings in this pandemic, the only people we can blame for spreading this is ourselves.

Oh and masks only slow it not stop it there are clear face covering effectiveness studies on the net if anyone wishes to google

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

Went into a supermarket yesterday, no staff wearing a mask and ppl walking in and out without one

East Sussex

"Went into a supermarket yesterday, no staff wearing a mask and ppl walking in and out without one"

Staff are not covered by the rule and some supermarkets have been told not to challenge people without a mask as it puts the staff at risk

It makes me... well not laugh with the people who cant wear a thin piece of fabric or paper across their face.

I wonder how they would have managed in WW2 when every one had to wear full faced gas masks during air raids...

East Sussex

Hahaha im sure il be fine as long as my nose and mouth are covered ay ha"

I genuinely had a lady come in to my supermarket last night wearing a pair of cotton knuckles over her face!!

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

stockport

What a great idea. Let's all wear designer gas masks.lol

East Sussex

Hahaha im sure il be fine as long as my nose and mouth are covered ay ha

I genuinely had a lady come in to my supermarket last night wearing a pair of cotton knuckles over her face!!"

Knickers...lol

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

stockport

Perhaps she'd just taken them off in the car when she realised she'd forgotten the face mask. Lol

"It makes me... well not laugh with the people who cant wear a thin piece of fabric or paper across their face.

I wonder how they would have managed in WW2 when every one had to wear full faced gas masks during air raids..."

You answered your own point. Thin pieces of fabric or paper provide NO PROTECTION WHATSOEVER against coronaviruses - either for the wearer or for those around them. So, it's absolutely bloody pointless - and as nobody is policing it - it's even more bloody pointless.

"It makes me... well not laugh with the people who cant wear a thin piece of fabric or paper across their face.

I wonder how they would have managed in WW2 when every one had to wear full faced gas masks during air raids...

You answered your own point. Thin pieces of fabric or paper provide NO PROTECTION WHATSOEVER against coronaviruses - either for the wearer or for those around them. So, it's absolutely bloody pointless - and as nobody is policing it - it's even more bloody pointless."

THEY PROVIDE SOME PROTECTION. Apparently writing in capitals makes it a fact.

Maybe instead of insisting on masks the government would be better insisting on boxing gloves to stop people writing bollocks on the internet.

Manchester (she/her)

You answered your own point. Thin pieces of fabric or paper provide NO PROTECTION WHATSOEVER against coronaviruses - either for the wearer or for those around them. So, it's absolutely bloody pointless - and as nobody is policing it - it's even more bloody pointless.

Maybe instead of insisting on masks the government would be better insisting on boxing gloves to stop people writing bollocks on the internet."

The science/ understanding has changed but it seems people aren't able to comprehend that. That's how we progress. We find stuff out, we change our perspective.

Or we just dig our heels in because we don't understand science, we want absolute certainty or nothing, and we pitch a fit and tell comfortable lies because cloth on our face feels icky.

I honestly despair.

Maybe instead of insisting on masks the government would be better insisting on boxing gloves to stop people writing bollocks on the internet."

Well said

One good thing about wearing a mask is they can't see you muttering curses snd swearing /mouthing "fuck off" etc..

"One good thing about wearing a mask is they can't see you muttering curses snd swearing /mouthing "fuck off" etc.. "

Aye it makes up for not being able to pick your nose eh

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

Had some reusable/washable masks for months. Popped into Asda on Sunday and it looked like everyone was wearing a mask but as usual most don't have a clue how to... Loose masks, noses out, constantly moving mask between chin and face, etc.

We need a massive public information campaign.

Manchester (she/her)

"Had some reusable/washable masks for months. Popped into Asda on Sunday and it looked like everyone was wearing a mask but as usual most don't have a clue how to... Loose masks, noses out, constantly moving mask between chin and face, etc.

We need a massive public information campaign. "

Clear messaging helps. We lack it.

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

I just posted a picture this morning with my mask , the picture is public

"Have you got yours for Friday? Shops and supermarket requirements. All set?

I just posted a picture this morning with my mask , the picture is public "

Looks like a bog brush ffs

Selby

"Have you got yours for Friday? Shops and supermarket requirements. All set?

I just posted a picture this morning with my mask , the picture is public

Looks like a bog brush ffs "

I know that

This whole mask thing is a funny situation. At the begining the gov advised us not to wear masks, now it is mandatory.

This is coming from a gov who can't even stick to their own rules (Matt Hancock, boris johnson, Dominic cummings,Robert jenrick, Dr calderwood ,prof Neil furguson, vaughan gething have all been caught breaking the same rules they set for us).

If they thought it was good advice they would follow it themselves. Like when you tell someone "don't put your hand in the fire, you'll get burned".

With them it seems to be more like a warning you might give a child. Ie "don't do this" even though im doing it myself.

Hancock's motivation may be more geared towards getting the economy going again than based on science.

He was quoted in parliament saying "Face coverings protect workers and give the public greater confidence to shop"

To alot of people, the gov have proved themselves to not be trustworthy.

Add that to the selfish mob rule culture (from both sides, masks and anti masks) and here we are.

If you wear a mask and you think it protects you then stop moaning about people who are not wearing a mask.

They do not have to feel the same way you feel, what scares you might not scare them OR they may have a medical condition that makes them exempt.

On the flip side, if you don't wear a mask and you don't think it protects you or others then don't moan about people that are wearing them. it doesn't mean you are more intelligent than anybody or that anybody is a sheep.

Two people can see the same info and it scares one and not the other, such is life.

Instead of us arguing back and forth about people not doing the same as everybody else, I'd advice everybody to do their own research, make their own decision and shush.??

I found some interesting medical studies that might help you inform yourself. There are many studies on both sides.

The surgical mask is a bad fit for risk reduction

Shane Neilson, MD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4868614/

Effectiveness of facemasks to reduce exposure hazards for airborne infections among general populations

A. C. K. Lai, C. K. M. Poon, and A. C. T. Cheung

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306645/

Effectiveness of Surgical and Cotton Masks in Blocking SARS–CoV-2: A Controlled Comparison in 4 Patients

Seongman Bae, MD, Min-Chul Kim, MD,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7153751/

I have been wearing a mask in shops all the time and at work

chelmsford

Tescos today, all customers and staff masked up

Selby

"Tescos today, all customers and staff masked up "

Same

"Tescos today, all customers and staff masked up "

Good to hear...I'll report on waitrose..whoops aldi later

chelmsford

"Tescos today, all customers and staff masked up

Good to hear...I'll report on waitrose..whoops aldi later "

Haha

Tesco lady said it's a Tesco thing that staff wear a mask

Haha

Tesco lady said it's a Tesco thing that staff wear a mask "

I might need to move back to Tesco. But will see how the germans are managing their store first

chelmsford

Haha

I might need to move back to Tesco. But will see how the germans are managing their store first"

I would imagine they will all follow suit

Haha

I might need to move back to Tesco. But will see how the germans are managing their store first

I would imagine they will all follow suit "

I hope so...them little convenience stores that I have to pop into are shite though. One is about 7mtr x 7mtr and only allowed 2 people in before friday...since then there has been no limit and no bugger there wears a bloody mask but me.

By *lue eyed builderMan  over a year ago

Gloucester

Yes!

chelmsford

Haha

I hope so...them little convenience stores that I have to pop into are shite though. One is about 7mtr x 7mtr and only allowed 2 people in before friday...since then there has been no limit and no bugger there wears a bloody mask but me. "

Our little shop is very strict

the wetlands

Haha

I hope so...them little convenience stores that I have to pop into are shite though. One is about 7mtr x 7mtr and only allowed 2 people in before friday...since then there has been no limit and no bugger there wears a bloody mask but me.

Our little shop is very strict "

We had our masks on in 6 different shops we were in today and it's not even a requirement here.

One guy said he would give us the money if we didn't hurt him tho

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

Shane Neilson, MD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4868614/"

An article from 2016, and I see you've handily clipped out the bit where he is

a "PhD candidate in English and cultural studies", so possibly not a working doctor and not an epidemiologist, presumably.

" Effectiveness of facemasks to reduce exposure hazards for airborne infections among general populations

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306645"

This one is from 2011, and says there is limited data on masks. Maybe there might be a bit more now?

" Effectiveness of Surgical and Cotton Masks in Blocking SARS–CoV-2: A Controlled Comparison in 4 Patients

"

At last, something recent and it's...a study of 4 people. Four.

Meanwhile, here's 37 pages from Oxford University on how masks do work.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now

You're correct that there isn't a cast iron scientific certainty on masks just yet, but Oxford vs a English student, hmm, who to believe...

scotland

"

Shane Neilson, MD

a "PhD candidate in English and cultural studies", so possibly not a working doctor and not an epidemiologist, presumably.

Effectiveness of facemasks to reduce exposure hazards for airborne infections among general populations

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306645

This one is from 2011, and says there is limited data on masks. Maybe there might be a bit more now?

Effectiveness of Surgical and Cotton Masks in Blocking SARS–CoV-2: A Controlled Comparison in 4 Patients

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now

You're correct that there isn't a cast iron scientific certainty on masks just yet, but Oxford vs a English student, hmm, who to believe... "

The last article states

"We do not know whether masks shorten the travel distance of droplets during coughing. Further study is needed to recommend whether face masks decrease transmission of virus from asymptomatic individuals or those with suspected COVID-19 who are not coughing".

So completely pointless research then...It's quite important to know if masks shorten the distance of droplets. Have you tried blowing through a mask? The mask blocks the breath and sends it upwards to downwards but the force is dramatically reduced comparing blowing without a mask. Therefore shortens the distance of droplets.

And the conclusion..

"In conclusion, both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface."

'prevent' means to ensure that it does not happen. Masks do not prevent spreading. We know that but reducing by 90% is a damn good way of keeping transmission down...

Manchester (she/her)

Scientists being honest is a bad thing?

Been out today supprised how many people were wearing their masks incorrectly ie not covering the nose

Catthorpe

"Been out today supprised how many people were wearing their masks incorrectly ie not covering the nose"

Have you seen the people wearing it under their chin?

By *az080378Woman  over a year ago

Cromer

"Been out today supprised how many people were wearing their masks incorrectly ie not covering the nose

Have you seen the people wearing it under their chin? "

Today was the first time I had ever come across this!

An elderly couple in the supermarket both wearing disposable masks under their chins, I don't get in at all!!

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

There was some munter in the queue in front of me today holding her mask, telling the girl behind the the counter she couldn't breathe properly if she wore it... nothing to do with weighing as much as a pony im sure...

Manchester (she/her)

"Been out today supprised how many people were wearing their masks incorrectly ie not covering the nose

Have you seen the people wearing it under their chin? "

Or hanging off one ear

Haha

Our little shop is very strict "

Well I can report back that aldi was a 100% customers and staff, apart from one that came off shelf stacking to open a till....looked like she couldn't wait to get back behind the screen and pull the mask down

chelmsford

Haha

Our little shop is very strict

Well I can report back that aldi was a 100% customers and staff, apart from one that came off shelf stacking to open a till....looked like she couldn't wait to get back behind the screen and pull the mask down "

that's very good

Mrs N works for a well known grocery retailer that has insisted all staff wear one. She came home much more tired last 2 days. Say she tried a mask and it was awful, couldn't work in it as nanny and grandad couldn't hear what she was saying and it was insufferably hot. Now has one of those visor things but says it sends her goggle eyed because of the glare and is so irritating because she keeps banging it on the shelfs she is stacking and has to keep adjusting it.

This stuff was not designed for people to work in fricking grocery stores. It's bloody absurd what is going on with masks. The grocery store management are being ridiculous. There is no need for it.

yeah yeah I hear NHS staff say, welcome to my world but if it isn't a government guideline to wear PPE at work, why make people do it ???

"Mrs N works for a well known grocery retailer that has insisted all staff wear one. She came home much more tired last 2 days. Say she tried a mask and it was awful, couldn't work in it as nanny and grandad couldn't hear what she was saying and it was insufferably hot. Now has one of those visor things but says it sends her goggle eyed because of the glare and is so irritating because she keeps banging it on the shelfs she is stacking and has to keep adjusting it.

This stuff was not designed for people to work in fricking grocery stores. It's bloody absurd what is going on with masks. The grocery store management are being ridiculous. There is no need for it.

yeah yeah I hear NHS staff say, welcome to my world but if it isn't a government guideline to wear PPE at work, why make people do it ???"

Because you get people, quite a few on here who say " Why should I wear a mask if the staff don't have to"

I know its selfish madness but welcome to Covid England.

Manchester (she/her)

"Mrs N works for a well known grocery retailer that has insisted all staff wear one. She came home much more tired last 2 days. Say she tried a mask and it was awful, couldn't work in it as nanny and grandad couldn't hear what she was saying and it was insufferably hot. Now has one of those visor things but says it sends her goggle eyed because of the glare and is so irritating because she keeps banging it on the shelfs she is stacking and has to keep adjusting it.

yeah yeah I hear NHS staff say, welcome to my world but if it isn't a government guideline to wear PPE at work, why make people do it ???"

Because it reduces transmission and will save lives?

By *ilth500Man  over a year ago

Merseyside

yeah yeah I hear NHS staff say, welcome to my world but if it isn't a government guideline to wear PPE at work, why make people do it ???

Because it reduces transmission and will save lives?"

allegedly

Chester

allegedly "

Because it makes people feel safer when shopping inbetween snack stops

Manchester (she/her)

allegedly "

Shrug. Believe what you like. The science has become clear.

By *ilth500Man  over a year ago

Merseyside

allegedly

Shrug. Believe what you like. The science has become clear."

will do

Because it reduces transmission and will save lives?"

You haven't answered the question though. It is not a mandatory requirement so why insist on it. Why not make it voluntary like it is supposed to be and when there is PPE fit for purpose available.

Manchester (she/her)

You haven't answered the question though. It is not a mandatory requirement so why insist on it. Why not make it voluntary like it is supposed to be and when there is PPE fit for purpose available."

What organisations do will be for whatever reason they do it. No idea.

The reason for encouraging or mandating face covering is that it reduces the risk of transmission.

Blackpool

I went to the shops today

I would say.

In shops 80%

Staff in shops 50/50

However outside general it was definitely 90% not/chin etc

I can definitely confirm that the UK or England at least is not buying into the maskup fear the gov and media are selling,and will never be a CCP clone island.

the wetlands

allegedly "

Various materials were tested and results published if you care to Google maskfaq you'll probably find it

Manchester (she/her)

"I went to the shops today

I would say.

In shops 80%

Staff in shops 50/50

I can definitely confirm that the UK or England at least is not buying into the maskup fear the gov and media are selling,and will never be a CCP clone island. "

It's a good thing the overwhelming majority of transmission seems to happen indoors and we're only being asked to wear them indoors then?

the wetlands

"I went to the shops today

I would say.

In shops 80%

Staff in shops 50/50

I can definitely confirm that the UK or England at least is not buying into the maskup fear the gov and media are selling,and will never be a CCP clone island. "

Excellent rates of compliance, well done.

[Removed by poster at 28/07/20 21:07:55]

[Removed by poster at 28/07/20 21:07:35]

"

Shane Neilson, MD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306645

You're correct that there isn't a cast iron scientific certainty on masks just yet, but Oxford vs a English student, hmm, who to believe... "

Some people could have an argument with a paper bag ?? I didn't "handily" leave any details out. I did the exact opposite and posted the link so people could see for themselves.

You see I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, I couldn't be arsed what you or anybody else decides to do. Wear a mask or don't wear a mask, I don't really care.

Like I said rather than going back and forth about who's right or not.

Do your own research and make your decision. Simple

Believe what you want and allow others to do the same.

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

Norway have just released a statement following a panel medical review this week on masks.

“Given the low prevalence of COVID-19 currently, even if facemasks are assumed to be effective, the difference in infection rates between using facemasks and not using facemasks would be small. Assuming that 20% of people infectious with SARS-CoV-2 do not have symptoms, and assuming a risk reduction of 40% for wearing facemask, 200 000 people would need to wear facemasks to prevent one new infection per week in the current epide- miological situation.

The undesirable effects of facemasks include the risks of incorrect use, a false sense of security (leading to relaxation of other interventions), and contamination of masks. In addition, some people experience problems breathing, discomfort, and problems with communication. The proportion of people who experience these undesirable effects is uncertain. However, with a low prevalence of COVID-19, the number of people who experience undesirable effects is likely to be much larger than the number of infections prevented. An expert panel discussed and assessed the evidence using an explicit set of criteria. The panel did not take into consideration the shortage of medical facemasks. The assessments for each criterion were judged both individually and in a consensus process, and the overall recommendation and report were reviewed by the panel”

Blackpool

Sooooooo,Hong Kong on the virge of a massive covid spike,also,Hong Kong been mask mandatory everywhere from day one.

Mmmmm,how does that work then.

Are you awake yet.....

"Sooooooo,Hong Kong on the virge of a massive covid spike,also,Hong Kong been mask mandatory everywhere from day one.

Are you awake yet..... "

Ffs we all know they dont stop it...they reduce the infection.

One thing I will bet you is they never come anywhere near the death toll as us

Manchester (she/her)

"Sooooooo,Hong Kong on the virge of a massive covid spike,also,Hong Kong been mask mandatory everywhere from day one.

Are you awake yet..... "

Goodness. Multiple modes of transmission, masks are necessary but not sufficient.

Wide awake. But thanks for asking.

Blackpool

Erm, yeah, I think they may just have a slightly better carehome policy than the UK.

"Erm, yeah, I think they may just have a slightly better carehome policy than the UK. "

Less contact helps them too...they dont shake hands like us. Clever little buggers....but yeah our care of the elderly has been shown to be abysmal by the present govt.

scotland

Are you awake yet..... "

Without knowing the circumstances the virus is transmitting in it's difficult to say, however, I suspect that, like Spain, it's transmitting between the young whilst not in shops wearing masks. e.g. when meeting up with their friends either in private or in places where the wearing of masks isn't compulsory.

Not bad reasoning eh considering I am asleep.

Blackpool

It's soooo, funny watching the pro makers adust their Talkin points each day to fit their narrative, a kinda the same thing the so called experts have done from the beginning,"winging it" lol

I noticed on Vine today they had to fall back on the completly false seat belt analagy to try to make the case... Epic fail

scotland

"It's soooo, funny watching the pro makers adust their Talkin points each day to fit their narrative, a kinda the same thing the so called experts have done from the beginning,"winging it" lol

I noticed on Vine today they had to fall back on the completly false seat belt analagy to try to make the case... Epic fail "

???

"It's soooo, funny watching the pro makers adust their Talkin points each day to fit their narrative, a kinda the same thing the so called experts have done from the beginning,"winging it" lol

I noticed on Vine today they had to fall back on the completly false seat belt analagy to try to make the case... Epic fail "

Well we all cant be clever cunts eh