FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Anyone else stopped watching the news because of the coronavirus

Anyone else stopped watching the news because of the coronavirus

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I watched it tonight for the first time in two weeks because I felt like it was all being blown out of proportion and after watching it again tonight, I feel the same way about it. The news was about the only thing I use to watch on TV, but not anymore because it's been worrying me and misleading me into thinking its the end of the world.

The way they choose to interview people who are wearing masks and focus on areas where there are little or no people. That's not like reality! I see people everywhere and people out and about with no face masks.. And nobody who I chat with seems to be so concerned about it as the people who have their say on the news.

Sure it's a terrible thing and we know it already so stay safe and change the facking record.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Yes me

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I was recommended to listen to the UK Column news cast which is 2 or 3 times a week on YouTube. I was told it is unbiased.

I have found that very informative.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

Newsnight was good this evening, Especially the "Calling Bullshit" item.

Emily said bullshit several times.

Reminded me of Pussy Riot.

I think news has reached the norm period for the virus. It's become like the traffic accident it was often compared to. Also people are worn out from covid news especially if they've lost their jobs. It's now part of our lives.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

the news has always been like this, doom and gloom, i dont watch it now, to depressing

We both stopped watching the news in April, I have also came off all social media and to be honest feel better for it.

Mr C

By *r_Jake70Man  over a year ago

London

"I was recommended to listen to the UK Column news cast which is 2 or 3 times a week on YouTube. I was told it is unbiased.

I have found that very informative."

Column News is far from unbiased. Brian Gerrish Is a rabid conspiracy theorist with more than a touch of American-style tin foil hat wearing about him.

No I havent but yes it is blown out of proportion. I call it infodemic rather than anything else there.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Got sick to death of the media after the first month.

Ridiculous questions on a daily basis.

Haven't watched it since.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I like to listen to the experts on the news. I do find some reporters irritating. I have started to watch less news to be honest.

By *eandHim2019Couple  over a year ago

preston

We dont watch the news because of doom laden covid19 news

Almost want brexit news back for light entertainment

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've disengaged, but for the opposite reasons. The inaction, poor mask adherence, stupidity etc pisses me off.

Channel 7 news in Australia gets caught spewing fake news

https://youtu.be/P0oRyljuLik

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I have pretty much given up watching. I read the headlines a couple of time’s a day and that’s it.

When working from home I have substituted it for a livestream of bears fishing in a river in Alaska.

With the backdrop of a waterfall it’s a welcome antidote to all the bad news.

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

I haven't read it watched the news since all this started.

If I happen to catch the headlines on the radio, then so be it, but I'm not going out if my way to be told that no one in charge has the first fucking clue about what's going on or what to do about it

Months ago..

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

The Today programme on R4 works for me. I do rage quit now and then though.

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

I use twitter and follow experts/drs/scientists ect rather than msm. They will give you an honest and balanced opinion.

By *ootykMan  over a year ago

lurgan

No news is good news in my book. Its all propaganda for one agenda or another right wing or left wing . The Two wings belong to the one bird if you get my drift. I stole that off Doug Stanhope but I think its very true statement. The media in the north of Ireland used to play the interviews of one political party then dubbed out the voice of the other party's interview and played an actors voice I shit you not. You don't have to be a genius to work it out. The BBC ITV channel 4 and 5 are all one publicly funded too. That's the funny part for me, public pays for its own lies

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

I more or less stopped watching the news a year or two ago when pissed off with non stop brexit heaved a sigh of relief when that was done, a few weeks later we slip into non stop virus, do try to watch local news and BBC has managed to f*ck that up by removing the lovely girls on in the mornings.

By *ymguy1966Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

Stopped watching year's ago

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

I usually watch France 24 and al jarzeeras for news without spin they both seem to have worldwide news unlike British news which seems to concentrate on the uk and usa.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"I was recommended to listen to the UK Column news cast which is 2 or 3 times a week on YouTube. I was told it is unbiased.

Just out of interest, are you an anti-masker?

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"We both stopped watching the news in April, I have also came off all social media and to be honest feel better for it.

Mr C"

Really ?

This is social media lol

Just out of interest, are you an anti-masker?"

I nearly spat my coffee out when I read UK column news.

Is this sarcasm?

UK Column is conspiracy pseudoscience. It's an even worse version of the mail online.

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

Is this sarcasm?

UK Column is conspiracy pseudoscience. It's an even worse version of the mail online."

I've never heard of this so I decided out of curiosity to watch it.

WTF...Why have they filmed them talking bollocks in what looks like a 3rd rate BBC production studio.

If you want unbiased news from YouTube TLDR is very good.

But still not perfect. They attempt to provide unbiased news and at least have presenters with opinions from across the spectrum.

To those saying they dont watch the news like it makes them enlightened.

You are the problem...I appreciate not everyone wants to be informed and agree 24/7 news is depressing.

But to give up on keeping yourself informed is giving up your responsibility to society.

It takes nothing to read a few articles every couple of days or watch some news

The key is to keep limit how much news you expose yourself and to get it from a variety of sources.

hiding from cock pics.

Is this sarcasm?

UK Column is conspiracy pseudoscience. It's an even worse version of the mail online."

I clearly stand corrected. It was recommended to me and I'm just trying to find some unbiased news to inform myself with. It looks like I have been misled from the responses.

If anybody has any good recommendations please feel free to add them to the thread and I will check them out.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Is this sarcasm?

UK Column is conspiracy pseudoscience. It's an even worse version of the mail online.

I've never heard of this so I decided out of curiosity to watch it.

WTF...Why have they filmed them talking bollocks in what looks like a 3rd rate BBC production studio.

If you want unbiased news from YouTube TLDR is very good.

But still not perfect. They attempt to provide unbiased news and at least have presenters with opinions from across the spectrum.

To those saying they dont watch the news like it makes them enlightened.

You are the problem...I appreciate not everyone wants to be informed and agree 24/7 news is depressing.

But to give up on keeping yourself informed is giving up your responsibility to society.

It takes nothing to read a few articles every couple of days or watch some news

The key is to keep limit how much news you expose yourself and to get it from a variety of sources."

You dont need to watch the news to keep yourself informed, plenty of other source, the radio and internet being two.

We gave up tv news in 2017, funny I still know what's going on in the world

Leicester / London

Is this sarcasm?

I clearly stand corrected. It was recommended to me and I'm just trying to find some unbiased news to inform myself with. It looks like I have been misled from the responses.

If anybody has any good recommendations please feel free to add them to the thread and I will check them out."

Tldr as I mentioned

Reuters...the daddy of unbiased news

AP (associated press) for more USA news

France 24, Al Jazeera,rt news for stories across the globe

But be warned these are state run and often can be very biased too when they report on domestic news to their nation.

I personally get qlot of my news from financial sources as they get to the nub of the story in a logical way.

Although I appreciate that's not how everyone wants just the facts presented.

Market watch

Investing.com

Bloomberg

For more opinion lead news I find its easiest to find a journalist not that I agree with..but respect their ability to really the news and either get their newsletter or have their stories sent as links via social media.

The Atlantic

Vox

Vice

Always have something interesting to look into

I think the greatest challenge the public has with media in 2020 and going forward is being your own editor...there is no shortage of content.

Its understanding what is worth listening to and what is not.

I think its also very big of you to publicly accept your link was flawed and not let ego get in the way of asking others for alternatives

Wouldn't the internet be a better place if everyone did that.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and sky news or BBC (gossip) admitted

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

You made a good choice not to watch the news, it slowly conditions you and gives you very an inaccurate picture of the world. We’ve not watched any tv for over 25 years!

BBC have become worse since kunnesburg joined , I read the article on the 42 year old pilot in a coma with COVID-19 and how we must all be careful not to underestimate it. Not once did it mention he was dying already before this. I reset my internet filters to block all bbc content

Dubai

Is this sarcasm?

If anybody has any good recommendations please feel free to add them to the thread and I will check them out.

Tldr as I mentioned

But be warned these are state run and often can be very biased too when they report on domestic news to their nation.

I personally get qlot of my news from financial sources as they get to the nub of the story in a logical way.

Market watch

Investing.com

Bloomberg

For more opinion lead news I find its easiest to find a journalist not that I agree with..but respect their ability to really the news and either get their newsletter or have their stories sent as links via social media.

The Atlantic

Vox

Vice

I think the greatest challenge the public has with media in 2020 and going forward is being your own editor...there is no shortage of content.

I think its also very big of you to publicly accept your link was flawed and not let ego get in the way of asking others for alternatives

Wouldn't the internet be a better place if everyone did that."

Very Good list , I would just add WSJ and Al Jazeera

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

If you want unbiased news read lots of different sources not just the ones whose world view you agree with.

Stopped watching MSM woke news media over a year ago and life’s is much simpler and fear free

By *havenbabe01Couple  over a year ago

bedfordshire

totally agree

have stopped watching reading or listening any form of news

Leicester / London

Is this sarcasm?

If anybody has any good recommendations please feel free to add them to the thread and I will check them out."

Here is also infographic of most major news sources and how left and right their reporting leans.

Like I said its not about ONLY listening to unbiased news.

But using your own cognitive dissonance to see the biases in the news for yourself and allow the biased news across the spectrum to form your OWN opinions

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Media-Bias-Chart_4.0.1_Licensed_Copy_White_Background-min.jpg

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"

"

If only there were such a thing called un-biased news that thought might be useful. But there isn't. The answer is to read widely, including that which you do not support and to come to conclusion/s 'in-balance'.

Yeah basically stopped watching tv total waste of money! When my kids leave home the telly is going too!

Leicester / London

"

If only there were such a thing called un-biased news that thought might be useful. But there isn't. The answer is to read widely, including that which you do not support and to come to conclusion/s 'in-balance'.

"

That's why advocate cognitive dissonance

And wrote this directly underneath

But using your own cognitive dissonance to see the biases in the news for yourself and allow the biased news across the spectrum to form your OWN opinions

The problem is 24 hour news programmes and only 1/2 an hour of real news a day so repeat repeat repeat repeat...

Dubai

"

That's why advocate cognitive dissonance

And wrote this directly underneath

But using your own cognitive dissonance to see the biases in the news for yourself and allow the biased news across the spectrum to form your OWN opinions"

I get what you are saying but if you don’t trust a source is authentic then there is no cognitive dissonance , I wouldn’t listen to anything Boris or Trump say , if I did I would just chuckle at how funny they look and sound , that isn’t cognitive dissonance.

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

yes i have no clue what's going on in the world

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

I just look for the data online regarding covid, all news outlets and newspapers are biased.

Stopped watching the news due to Harry and Megan

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan  over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

It's mind numbing. Kinda like Fab

I took a long news break as there was too much focus on it. I'm not saying it was blown out of proportion... but there's only so many COVID stories I can absorb

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Southern Wales

I watched the news for the first time in ages tonight and totally wish I hadn’t.

I’m feeling right bummed out now

hiding from cock pics.

Is this sarcasm?

Tldr as I mentioned

Market watch

Investing.com

Bloomberg

The Atlantic

Vox

Vice

Wouldn't the internet be a better place if everyone did that."

Thank you. That still is a lot of sources, I really don't know where to start!

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I no longer watch the government propaganda on Sky and the BBC.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"

Tldr as I mentioned

Market watch

Investing.com

Bloomberg

The Atlantic

Vox

Vice

Wouldn't the internet be a better place if everyone did that.

Very Good list , I would just add WSJ and Al Jazeera "

Agreed. some excellent and diverse sources there. I spend many hours on some of those news sites. Self-confessed news junkie. Most of our friends are the same, and we always have much to talk about when we meet up.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I selectively pick the news that I learn and don't generally get the regular TV news. For covid-19 it's better to evaluate published scientific research, rather than a news bulletin that interprets some of it.

"

Anyone else stopped watching the news because of the coronavirus"

Pretty much and along with Politics being so deceitful I hardly watch any news at all now.

By *ancs_tgirl_38TV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

I watch the first 10 minutes of BBC 6am and 6 pm to get the jist of the days events, the rest of it and the likes of Morgan n Co is just opinion journalism. He is ex CNN after all

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

We have learned to recognise and ignore the bullshit on the news, and the posts of some people on here too.

» Add a new message to this topic