FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Virus changes?

Virus changes?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

First up I confess I am no medic and no expert. I read the news and sometimes even fact check stuff. But, it seems there is a general consensus that some people are more at risk than others. Such as smokers, diabetics, asthmatics, obese, elderly.. And lots more. And unless I have misunderstood, having generally better heart health and lung health stand a better chance if they are infected. Supplements such as Vitamin D may help (sure I saw that on the rki site?)..

Anyway my question really is are people trying to make a few tweaks to their lives to improve their chances? I'm personally trying to lose a bit of weight and get my heart pumping a bit more...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

I'm trying to be more health conscious. So I walk to the shop, do more gardening etc. Just been told I have high cholesterol, so trying to eat more fruit and veg, cutting out red meat and generally changing my eating habits

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Deffo made me change up my diet and fitness.

Also supplement Vit D whether it works or not.

chelmsford

"Deffo made me change up my diet and fitness.

Also supplement Vit D whether it works or not. "

We spend a lot of time outside, so natural vitamin D

Tin town

Also supplement Vit D whether it works or not. "

You heard the vit D thing too?

I struggle with motivation so it's given me a much needed kick in the backside.

Tin town

"I'm trying to be more health conscious. So I walk to the shop, do more gardening etc. Just been told I have high cholesterol, so trying to eat more fruit and veg, cutting out red meat and generally changing my eating habits "

Likewise... I hate walking but I walk more now than when I was a teen.

chelmsford

I struggle with motivation so it's given me a much needed kick in the backside. "

Vitamin D is good for you for lots of things

chelmsford

"I'm trying to be more health conscious. So I walk to the shop, do more gardening etc. Just been told I have high cholesterol, so trying to eat more fruit and veg, cutting out red meat and generally changing my eating habits

Likewise... I hate walking but I walk more now than when I was a teen. "

It's too easy to jump in the car, so I try and avoid that and feel much better for the walk.

By *spotpleasurerMan  over a year ago

Norwich

Losing weight, if you are overweight, is the single most important thing you can do to improve your health and your wellbeing as you age.

There are very few disease conditions out there that are not higher risk for those who are overweight or obese.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Vitamin D is good for you for lots of things "

It is and I'm taking it,but I'm also a little worried as it contains calcium and I have a gallstone...so not quite sure if it's good or bad for me

As the proud owner of an Asthma, no, I'm not.

There are cases where the steroid based inhalers I use are being deployed to treat C-19.

C-19 has been blown out of proportion, avg flu deaths in a bad year can = 50k across all age groups, interestingly no one appears to have died of flu in 2020, so C-19 has cured the flu.

I got a far worse allergic reaction to my flu jab last Autumn too.

Reckon I'll take my chances with the Bat Flu,probably less harmful.

chelmsford

It is and I'm taking it,but I'm also a little worried as it contains calcium and I have a gallstone...so not quite sure if it's good or bad for me "

That's worth looking into, in that case

It is and I'm taking it,but I'm also a little worried as it contains calcium and I have a gallstone...so not quite sure if it's good or bad for me

That's worth looking into, in that case "

Tried google but nothing there to say yay or any...so I take them every other day

chelmsford

That's worth looking into, in that case

Tried google but nothing there to say yay or any...so I take them every other day "

Nhs website says it can cause a build up of calcium, over a long period of time.They reccomend 10 mgs per day

By *spotpleasurerMan  over a year ago

Norwich

Vitamin D does not contain calcium! Many supplements combine the two, but there's no calcium in pure vitamin D.

The main issue with vitamin or mineral supplements is whether you have a healthy diet. If you do, you should not need a supplement. The excess will only be excreted or may even be harmful.

There is evidence that excess calcium can promote gallstones especially in older females who may be taking daily supplements to reduce osteoporosis.

I mean whatever you can do to get into better shape is ideal. I've cleaned up my diet and do breathing excercises as well as a more cardio focused work out routine since it all started.

Fearing the worst for the winter so if i can make my immune system any better at all why not try eh

Tin town

"I mean whatever you can do to get into better shape is ideal. I've cleaned up my diet and do breathing excercises as well as a more cardio focused work out routine since it all started.

Fearing the worst for the winter so if i can make my immune system any better at all why not try eh"

That's kind of my thought process...bit more greens, bit less sugary stuff.. I've just started doing a bit of yoga too... Not convinced I enjoy it or not but certainly feel more relaxed after.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Its also a good thing to reduce the fatty cell content as sars-cov-2 has a fatty (lipid) shell that attaches to fat cells with ease and as it takes the body a couple of days to produce an effective immune response, it has the potential to multiply rapidly in the fatty cells it can take over and overwhelm the system

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Been taking vitamin D since mid March although we are outdoors a lot figured it will do no harm taking a supplement and will continue through winter. Don’t smoke, hardly drink and not overweight so fingers crossed will be ok on the recovery if we get it.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Cut out alot of sugar.

Didn't realise how much of the stuff I was consuming in everyday foods.

Started to force myself to eat fish. I wouldn't touch it normally but a friend made me tuna steaks at a bbq and they were brilliant.

"Cut out alot of sugar.

Started to force myself to eat fish. I wouldn't touch it normally but a friend made me tuna steaks at a bbq and they were brilliant.

"

Chicken from the sea

Falkirk

"Cut out alot of sugar.

Chicken from the sea "

Won't go near the tinned processed stuff though I find it vile.

My dad eats kippers but won't go near those either.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Cut out alot of sugar.

Chicken from the sea

"

mackerel are good for you and cheap any oily fish really.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

"Cut out alot of sugar.

Chicken from the sea

mackerel are good for you and cheap any oily fish really."

I love mackerel but have been banned from the kitchen as they stink the place out so it's on the bbq even in winter. Don't eat it before a night out, smell like an old alley cat.

"I'm trying to be more health conscious. So I walk to the shop, do more gardening etc. Just been told I have high cholesterol, so trying to eat more fruit and veg, cutting out red meat and generally changing my eating habits "

Red meat is really good for my training that veg and chicken

"Cut out alot of sugar.

Chicken from the sea

"

I know...we used to buy that for the cats

chelmsford

"I'm trying to be more health conscious. So I walk to the shop, do more gardening etc. Just been told I have high cholesterol, so trying to eat more fruit and veg, cutting out red meat and generally changing my eating habits

"

it has a lot of saturated fat which is not good for me,although I do like it!

chelmsford

"Cut out alot of sugar.

Chicken from the sea

I know...we used to buy that for the cats"

Miss Molly likes tinned tuna

it has a lot of saturated fat which is not good for me,although I do like it!"

Lean steak is pure protein same as chicken fish and egg whites.

chelmsford

Lean steak is pure protein same as chicken fish and egg whites."

It still contains a small amount of cholesterol and saturated fat, depends how much you eat. I do like chicken though

Falkirk

Lean steak is pure protein same as chicken fish and egg whites."

I'm shit a cooking steak. Watched tons of videos on how to do it but it never turns out like I want it.

Best steak I have ever had was in the Philippines. Perfect fillet.

"First up I confess I am no medic and no expert. I read the news and sometimes even fact check stuff. But, it seems there is a general consensus that some people are more at risk than others. Such as smokers, diabetics, asthmatics, obese, elderly.. And lots more. And unless I have misunderstood, having generally better heart health and lung health stand a better chance if they are infected. Supplements such as Vitamin D may help (sure I saw that on the rki site?)..

Anyway my question really is are people trying to make a few tweaks to their lives to improve their chances? I'm personally trying to lose a bit of weight and get my heart pumping a bit more... "

I’ve seen a fair bit or the harsh reality of Covid-19, the common links for a big % of those who haven’t made it in my little patch of the world has been those with weak hearts, actually in terms of that it’s generally centred around poor diet, obesity etc. I’ve always been ok on weight but would be shifting some if I wasn’t.

There’s a big part of me that feels it’s quite indiscriminate though. Our youngest death was just turned 20, we’ve had several in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s who where in great physical shape prior... it’s no guarantee.

The biggest impact has undoubtedly been on the old, I worried a lot about my parents at the onset... to be honest the past 6 months have made me more protective of them. As a trust we’ve seen over 80% of the over 75’s not make it home.

Tin town

"First up I confess I am no medic and no expert. I read the news and sometimes even fact check stuff. But, it seems there is a general consensus that some people are more at risk than others. Such as smokers, diabetics, asthmatics, obese, elderly.. And lots more. And unless I have misunderstood, having generally better heart health and lung health stand a better chance if they are infected. Supplements such as Vitamin D may help (sure I saw that on the rki site?)..

Anyway my question really is are people trying to make a few tweaks to their lives to improve their chances? I'm personally trying to lose a bit of weight and get my heart pumping a bit more...

I’ve seen a fair bit or the harsh reality of Covid-19, the common links for a big % of those who haven’t made it in my little patch of the world has been those with weak hearts, actually in terms of that it’s generally centred around poor diet, obesity etc. I’ve always been ok on weight but would be shifting some if I wasn’t.

There’s a big part of me that feels it’s quite indiscriminate though. Our youngest death was just turned 20, we’ve had several in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s who where in great physical shape prior... it’s no guarantee.

The biggest impact has undoubtedly been on the old, I worried a lot about my parents at the onset... to be honest the past 6 months have made me more protective of them. As a trust we’ve seen over 80% of the over 75’s not make it home."

Ouch, That's pretty bleak, especially the age profiles. Not even Elon Musk can turn back time....

It's interesting seeing the responses are taking the opportunity to reboot diets to be a bit healthier though. Wonder if once we get into winter and cravings for carbs and stodge we can stick with our goals...i know I will struggle.

"Ouch, That's pretty bleak, especially the age profiles. Not even Elon Musk can turn back time....

It's interesting seeing the responses are taking the opportunity to reboot diets to be a bit healthier though. Wonder if once we get into winter and cravings for carbs and stodge we can stick with our goals...i know I will struggle. "

I think there’s another way to look at this and it’s proactively if you fear you are positive.

As with most illnesses deteriorating makes recovery harder. There’s a number of patients we’ve seen which we wished we could have started treating before they arrived on oxygen by ambulance.

Get tested, get confirmed it’s Covid... if breathing difficulties start then get yourself to hospital and if needs be get sent home with some medication if you aren’t as bad as you thought.

Treatment has improved so much in the past 6 months but starting it early is the key in a lot of successful patients.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I park further away from where I'm going to and have done other incremental things to up my exercise levels. I've supplemented with vitamin D, as don't get sufficient sunlight every day - though I don't think there's good or any evidence for it helping.

Correlation doesn't indicate causation of course but it's reasonable to assume that degraded health could predispose someone to greater risk or damage from other impacts.

I'll shed a few pounds gradually, in conjunction with increased exercise.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Not so much "stay fit to fight plague", but life is precious and I've got so much more I want to give. Maybe I'll be able to be a greater asset to my community if I'm more mindful of my health.

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

I have lost 2 3/4 stone since this all started, mostly because lockdown offered me up the opportunity to change up my diet and my exercise regime. I’ve seen so many posts of people blaming the lock down for getting fat, when in fact they were getting fat anyway now they just have a new excuse.

Frankly all things considered 2020 has been a bloody good year so far!

Better work life balance , better health, less expensive.

Took notice at the start of lockdown about weight now lost 8kgs walk 20k steps instead of my usual 10 wife has put me on a semi vegan diet which to be honest is not so bad

By *restonM50Man  over a year ago

preston

I'm on a bit of a health kick. Nothing major but trying to be less of a couch potato

» Add a new message to this topic