FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > 90 minute covid test

90 minute covid test

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Could this be the way to get flights working again

Your thoughts

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-flu-90-minute-test-winter-fight-covid-19-a9650401.html

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"Could this be the way to get flights working again

Your thoughts"

Staying up the night before doing last minute revision would ruin my holiday.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Your thoughts

Staying up the night before doing last minute revision would ruin my holiday."

Being admitted to ICU would have a similar effect, I'd imagine. If I'm to have it, however mild, I'd prefer to know and will stay at home.

I thing it's a game changer for getting on flights...as it becomes a real time test.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Other countries test on arrival and it's a reasonable measure, though not the only alternative that we could take, for countries that are similar or less risky than the UK. We could perhaps have testing stations in some of the airport car park areas.

"Other countries test on arrival and it's a reasonable measure, though not the only alternative that we could take, for countries that are similar or less risky than the UK. We could perhaps have testing stations in some of the airport car park areas. "

It should be a test on check in then isolate as much as possible until result..

If neg board plane asap.

By *lexeatonMan  over a year ago

Cannock Chase Area

Covid-19 rapid results have been out since May. The problem is they're aimed at A&E departments and thats where they need to be used, not flights or domestic uses.

They only have a limited capacity with the machines they use for rapid testing, not the scale you'd need for flights. Even the biggest Infinity style testing machines can only take 64 tests per 90 mins. Check out a company called Cepheid, there is a good youtube video about them.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Covid-19 rapid results have been out since May. The problem is they're aimed at A&E departments and thats where they need to be used, not flights or domestic uses.

They only have a limited capacity with the machines they use for rapid testing, not the scale you'd need for flights. Even the biggest Infinity style testing machines can only take 64 tests per 90 mins. Check out a company called Cepheid, there is a good youtube video about them."

Agreed! They are also used often by NHS staff with symptoms... we’ve had plenty of staff waiting in the car park for the all clear call so they can come into work.

Just to add a note of caution to this, it seems as though the health secretary may be getting a little ahead of himself. From the oxford nanooore (the manufacturere's) website :

Status at 30 July 2020: The assay is in validation phase. We will keep you informed about the rapid progress of its development here, with future regulatory updates.

So this test has not yet been validated, never mind approved. It's using new technology that has a limited history and has a single source of supply for testing kits & machines.

To me, there are serious questions surrounding scalability there, even leaving aside the still-missing regulatory approval....

And this morning live interview on news.

Checked and validated

Capacity to manufacture in millions per week

Roll out from next week.

"And this morning live interview on news.

Checked and validated

Roll out from next week."

So hopefully they will be used in the airports that I mentioned last night

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Roll-out of 2 new rapid coronavirus tests ahead of winter

Millions of new rapid coronavirus tests will be rolled out across NHS hospitals, care homes and labs from next week.

Published 3 August 2020

Department of Health and Social Care

placeholder

Both tests will be able to detect COVID-19 and other winter viruses in just 90 minutes

New tests will hugely increase testing capacity ahead of winter, delivering fast results that will help to break chains of transmission quickly

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Your thoughts"

Maybe but takes time to roll out to society in general

"Roll-out of 2 new rapid coronavirus tests ahead of winter

Millions of new rapid coronavirus tests will be rolled out across NHS hospitals, care homes and labs from next week.

Published 3 August 2020

Department of Health and Social Care

placeholder

Both tests will be able to detect COVID-19 and other winter viruses in just 90 minutes

New tests will hugely increase testing capacity ahead of winter, delivering fast results that will help to break chains of transmission quickly"

Yes it's good news

Apparently the the testing part is only the size of a garden barbecue...so totally portable and can be set up in no time at all. Knocks the spots off sending all the way to the usa to be processed.

A big game changer like I said last night

Your thoughtsMaybe but takes time to roll out to society in general"

Not by what they said this morning...totally portable.

Checked and validated

Roll out from next week.

So hopefully they will be used in the airports that I mentioned last night "

hope not it should be rolled out where its most needed first .. nhs carehomes the elderly the ill and sick and then all those who kept working while other stayed at home all those people who kept the country running because we will need them if a second wave comes and the kids at school to try and keep them covid free too ...holidays and unnecessary travel should be last

Checked and validated

Roll out from next week.

So hopefully they will be used in the airports that I mentioned last night

hope not it should be rolled out where its most needed first .. nhs carehomes the elderly the ill and sick and then all those who kept working while other stayed at home all those people who kept the country running because we will need them if a second wave comes and the kids at school to try and keep them covid free too ...holidays and unnecessary travel should be last "

That is kind of obvious and is already happening...the point of the airports having it is to stop the threat of people coming in with it too. They can be tested and wait for 90 minutes before getting let loose.

Flights are happening if we like it or not. This will stop external re-infection.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Just saw the sample collection on the bbc news. Looks simple. Details of the device and testing procedure are a bit sketchy. If it works it will be great. My only worry as a scientist is speeding things up, lowering sample size and increasing signal amplification can increase errors which can reduce accuracy. I hope it is the game changer the government says it is.

"Just saw the sample collection on the bbc news. Looks simple. Details of the device and testing procedure are a bit sketchy. If it works it will be great. My only worry as a scientist is speeding things up, lowering sample size and increasing signal amplification can increase errors which can reduce accuracy. I hope it is the game changer the government says it is."

Yeah me too.

Time will tell on the success rate but hopefully it will stop a lot of transmission.

Which is what we've been crying out for

» Add a new message to this topic