FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Cancer and the virus

Cancer and the virus

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hey guys,

My mum told us she has cancer, she found out last Thursday.

They have said she needs to have a Covid test and then can go and have her scans and camera and stuff this week and next week depending Covid test results.

They have said about speaking to a Macmillan nurse to get my head around it but I feel like I will do that when I'm ready, at the moment my sisters are all falling apart and I'm the only strong one.

Has anyone here had experience of cancer atm with this pandemic? My mum having to go to appointments on her own, is that likely? If she has to be admitted can they have anyone with them, a chaperone or is everything patient only?

I can obviously call and ask but I was wondering about people's personal experiences.

Thanks.

Stay safe and lots of love

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Sending love xxx

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Hey guys,

They have said she needs to have a Covid test and then can go and have her scans and camera and stuff this week and next week depending Covid test results.

They have said about speaking to a Macmillan nurse to get my head around it but I feel like I will do that when I'm ready, at the moment my sisters are all falling apart and I'm the only strong one.

Has anyone here had experience of cancer atm with this pandemic? My mum having to go to appointments on her own, is that likely? If she has to be admitted can they have anyone with them, a chaperone or is everything patient only?

I can obviously call and ask but I was wondering about people's personal experiences.

Thanks.

Stay safe and lots of love "

Firstly, remember that the treatment of cancers has improved massively over recent years, over 50% of cancer patients survive their condition now.

A friend of mine has been undergoing regular treatment for lung-cancer over the last three years. When the virus stuff started treatments carried on as normal, but everyone had to wear masks at all times within the hospital. Some appointments have been postponed at times but only tests & scans, not actual treatments. Her husband has been allowed to attend in the same way as before when she has had her treatments, but at other times he has been prevented from coming to tests & consultants meetings.

I hope that they have discovered your mum's condition early and that the treatment is quick and effective.

Cal

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

the Macmillan nurse's are diamonds they really are ... sending hugs xx

By *ssex_exileMan  over a year ago

A town by the sea

Its changing all the time so may differ now then at the start of covid so best check with the mcmillan nurses who are great and they can do wonders these days.

This is what someone i know had:

Household had to go into full isolation.

Allowed a chaparone to go to drive to the hospital but not alloqed in.

All treatment was in full isolation.

Good luck and keep positive for her.

By *69BANMan  over a year ago

Reading

Do you know what type of cancer it is, because cancer is just a term given to a plethora of conditions, and the prognosis can be from simple surgery to terminal illness. This will help you know more about what to expect

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

OP I'm so sorry to hear this. My close relative was diagnosed terminal, 7 years ago, we lost her last year and she had good quality of life until the last few months. There are some fantastic drugs out there, she herself trialled 3. Please remember there is lots of hope for her. The virus will make things a little difficult, but concentrate on a positive outcome. Please keep in touch with Macmillan. We had a dedicated Macmillan nurse, she was fantastic in every way and a massive support to the whole family. My best wishes to you all and take care of you too.x

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Hey guys,

Thanks.

wish you and your family courage and love at this time

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

I was in hospital two weeks ago and the wards were colour coded red,Amber & green .

Green wards are allowed visitors but red & Amber aint.

However when first admitted my husband was allowed in with me to see the drs then when I was admitted to the ward but no visitors after that .

only Advice I can give is for her to have her mobile in eith her and you can call & text each other all the time .

I know Its an extremly anxious time for you all but just take comfort that shes getting treated and every precaution is being taken to protect her.

wishing your wee mum all the best Xx

By *wosWoman  over a year ago

east london

Not sure if I've just been lucky , or they know full well how annoying I can be if they mess me about all my chemo has been when it's meant to be , blood tests and scans have been in different places sometimes, clinic appointments have been mostly telephone appointments...sometimes the day before they're meant to be ..but everything is working quite well... no ones allowed on the chemo ward without temperature tests ,or to have anyone with them..unless they really need help

"Do you know what type of cancer it is, because cancer is just a term given to a plethora of conditions, and the prognosis can be from simple surgery to terminal illness. This will help you know more about what to expect "

All we know is that it's in the liver and oesophagus but she has lots of tests, cameras and scans in the next week, then we will know more.

I'm staying hopeful. I don't panic until I have something to panic about. One thing is for sure she is the strongest woman I know. I'm carrying a box when we were moving house and I pass my mum carrying a carpet on her shoulder from the moving van she is staying optimistic and I follow her lead. Although she will have her weak moments but I know largely she will share those with my dad and be vulnerable with him because they have been married 53 years in September.

I can't reply to each comment at the moment as I'm on my way to go see my mum and it will be the first time me and my brother and sisters have seen eachother since lockdown, so will be special even though the circumstances are far from ideal.

I will reply to you all later.

I hope that you are well those of you having treatment and family members. You are amazing xxx

By *ackietv1TV/TS  over a year ago

caerphilly

Under going treatment in Wales now. Can't message you as outside age.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Hey guys,

Thanks.

"They have said she needs to have a Covid test and then can go and have her scans and camera and stuff this week and next week depending Covid test results." Bit confused about this statement, are they saying they won't do the tests etc if she tests positive? I hope everything goes OK for her OP. Xx

They have said she has her Covid test, then has to isolate then will go for her tests. I wasn't privy to the convo with the doctor, I found out secondarily, only relaying what she told me over the phone.

I don't know what it means to her treatment if she does have Covid. Worrying really, they wouldn't not treat her surely Maybe they just go about things a different way xxx

"the Macmillan nurse's are diamonds they really are ... sending hugs xx"

Ditto..... Darling speak to the MacM nurses they are amazing and the whole team give great advise.. phone up / go have a chat

Thoughts are with u

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

"They have said she has her Covid test, then has to isolate then will go for her tests. I wasn't privy to the convo with the doctor, I found out secondarily, only relaying what she told me over the phone.

I don't know what it means to her treatment if she does have Covid. Worrying really, they wouldn't not treat her surely Maybe they just go about things a different way xxx"

Oh bless you. Hope things turn out well.

I’m guessing if she has Covid they’ll delay by a week or two til she’s clear, that’s all.

By *rivextrMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Hugs and lots of love your way. I am sure your mum will fight it through. The NHS is fantastic when it comes to something serious like cancer.

The treatments are usually all evidence based, the consultants are ace and the nursing staff is great.

Can only praise the Macmilla. Those guys have got to right. Call them, and get them on board.

Best wishes and good luck! Xx

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

[Removed by poster at 05/08/20 16:49:43]

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

Hi, PM me, my Dad was diagnosed at beginning of year and was operated on beginning of March, and is having ongoing treatment. I dont particularly want air private business on a forum but happy to answer any questions and give you low down.

By *rivatepitMan  over a year ago

Battle

I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer at the beginning of March. All my treatment has been in England, but I would hope that it would be similar in Wales.

My initial scans were in Hastings. Someone else has posted that hospitals are divided into red and green. Red for Covid, green for non Covid. The scan was in the green part of the hospital the day before lockdown.

Consultations have all been by phone or video, so totally safe.

My treatment plan was 2 cycles of chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy. The chemo was done in the Eastbourne college hairdressing school. Amazing way of keeping us safe.

The radiotherapy was in Eastbourne as well and you can't move those big machines so it was in the hospital, but once again in a safe part.

They were very strict about not bringing anyone into where I was being treated. The first cycle of chemo, they ask that you get a lift to and from treatment as they didn't want me driving. As my wife was also isolating she took me and picked me up. We isolated together throughout the whole lockdown, and were extremely careful.

Others have also said how amazing the Macmillan nurses are. They are your first point of contact for everything and anything. They are also incredibly knowledgeable about dealing with the side effects of chemo and radiotherapy. Their website is also full of information, and the forum for oesophageal cancer has even more experience you can draw on at any time.

My treatment ended last week and I am waiting for a follow up scan to see if it has all gone.

I have said to friends, nobody wants cancer, but if you have to have it, now is as good a time as any. I have been on furlough and have had the time to concentrate on getting well. All normal day to day stress has gone which I am sure has been a huge help. Because we have been isolating there has never been a time when I have had to go anywhere or do anything. So on those days when I felt bad, I could just go back to bed and sleep.

Good luck on what is a crazy journey.

Sending love xxx

By *otsMan  over a year ago

Higham

"Its changing all the time so may differ now then at the start of covid so best check with the mcmillan nurses who are great and they can do wonders these days.

This is what someone i know had:

Household had to go into full isolation.

Allowed a chaparone to go to drive to the hospital but not alloqed in.

All treatment was in full isolation.

Good luck and keep positive for her. "

I have to a friend and a husband of a colleague recently diagnosed and the above poster was about right with the chaperone etc

Also with household care.

Wife has a transplant so we have to take cate too.

Heart goes out to you, we had a family member with cancer before the pandemic and what they can do even now in COVID is very good.

Re McMillan yes a good charity but i hate to say my wifes experience with her father and mine with my father was very poor.

You do have to push for help, so don't be frightened to do so.

All the best

Glasgow

@Midnight Vixen

Hope all is progressing positively. Hope you now know better plans from the hospital. Fingers crossed treatments and overall management isn't going to be affected.

Best wishes and our thoughts with your family and mum.

Xx

Thank you everyone won't know anything until next week at the earliest. Waiting for tests and results, scans and cameras.

All the messages and signposting for help has also been so helpful.

Thank you for your kindness and well wishes. Mum is as strong as ever. Proud daughter

Glasgow

"Thank you everyone won't know anything until next week at the earliest. Waiting for tests and results, scans and cameras.

Thank you for your kindness and well wishes. Mum is as strong as ever. Proud daughter "

Good luck!

Will remember you and your mum in prayers and thoughts... Xx

chelmsford

"Thank you everyone won't know anything until next week at the earliest. Waiting for tests and results, scans and cameras.

Thank you for your kindness and well wishes. Mum is as strong as ever. Proud daughter "

Bless you all, your mum sounds like she's being well looked after. Xxx

[Removed by poster at 08/08/20 23:32:38]

Thank you for your kindness and well wishes. Mum is as strong as ever. Proud daughter

Bless you all, your mum sounds like she's being well looked after. Xxx"

When she lets us she ends up looking after everyone else. Picture in a hospital the nurses being told to sit down and she will make them a coffee .... yeah she did that!! Nightmare of a woman likes to do the caring and not be the cared for

chelmsford

Bless you all, your mum sounds like she's being well looked after. Xxx

When she lets us she ends up looking after everyone else. Picture in a hospital the nurses being told to sit down and she will make them a coffee .... yeah she did that!! Nightmare of a woman likes to do the caring and not be the cared for "

Aaw, it's what Mums do, she sounds lovely. xx

I am so sorry to hear that. What a horrible time to have to deal with the news as well.

There’s two things I think you should be aware of:

The Macmillan nurses are in the main 100% returned to their core roles now and they are phenomenal for both support and insight, use them.

There has been massive efforts in recent months to re-establish services surrounding cancer treatments within all trusts so you should have every help you can.

I really hope things go ok for you, all the best x

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Macmillan are amazing!! They helped us so much during T’s treatment xx He’s 3 years in remission xx

My aunt is currently having treatment for breast cancer & says she feels really safe.

Talking helps, cry alone if needed but do not bottle things up xx Here if you need a chat xx

J x

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

Macmillan unit is shut at my hospital at present but will be there when I'm allowed

Had to laugh had a email to go to the local age concern don't know how old they think i am

chelmsford

"Macmillan unit is shut at my hospital at present but will be there when I'm allowed

Had to laugh had a email to go to the local age concern don't know how old they think i am "

Hello lovely lady xx

By *lasphemouscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

I can honestly say McMillan nurses are actually angels made flesh. I wouldn't have coped with my grandad without them. As for appointments yes sadly she'll probably have to go alone due to covid, I'm so sorry for your news. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

My aunt recently celebrated 8 years cancer free. There's always hope, the treatments are so much better than they were xx

"Hey guys,

Thanks.

First of all let me give you a huge hug and sending positive thoughts of recovery.

My grandson is currently going through treatment and yes it's bloody hard now we are restricted to one person with him, as we were a solid support as a family now we have to stand on the sidelines.

Be reassured that all your family are with you in their hearts and take something with you that gives you positive thoughts, like a picture or object, have your phone and have conversations by text or chat to help it's a tough time but there are so many rooting for you

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Macmillan unit is shut at my hospital at present but will be there when I'm allowed

Had to laugh had a email to go to the local age concern don't know how old they think i am "

If they can give you advice, just ignore it being from Age UK?! Perhaps the "Age" bit is whatever you want it to be (21 again?!)

Best wishes

» Add a new message to this topic