FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Eat out to help out, not signed up.

Eat out to help out, not signed up.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iddle Man OP   Man  over a year ago

Walsall

A few independent restaurants local to me are not using the scheme and are advertising the fact too. In what must be testing times for all I don't understand why they wouldn't, from what I've read and heard from people other restaurants have been busy on these days using the scheme.

I can't see a negative, unless they feel they don't need to and either have enough funds to see it through or are busy regardless.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm ignorant of the signing up and administrative aspects of the scheme. It may have appeared too cumbersome for some places?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I suspect that signing up to the scheme would give a government department a good idea of how much money you're taking in on certain days and therefore how much tax you should be paying. That might be one reason. Another could be that it's a voluntary scheme.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

I fear those that don't sign up may loose some trade on those nights. Perhaps they aren't that bothered if they do or perhaps some can't be bothered with the admin.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Some aren't signing up because they can't afford the 4 (but could be up to 8 ) week wait to claim the money back from the Government.

Many are living hand to mouth and can't afford supplies, wages, electricity bills etc without the money coming immediately in.

There was a programme on the radio about it a few weeks ago.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

There’s no benefit for small cash businesses, it will mean they have to contact the government and then may have to pay proper tax. So many SME’s are run by people claiming big maximum tax credits as a better alternative to employment

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"I suspect that signing up to the scheme would give a government department a good idea of how much money you're taking in on certain days and therefore how much tax you should be paying. That might be one reason. Another could be that it's a voluntary scheme."

Most dont make enough to worry about dodging tax and seeing everyone gets a bill it is the till receipts that have to be kept is the record the tax man looks at

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Another legitimate issue is that the extra custom requires extra staff, but it's only for August. Some businesses local to us who are taking part are horribly short staffed while serving all these people, but are unwilling to recruit because after the scheme ends at the start of September, they'd just have lots of unneeded staff. It's a gimmick short term economic boost. If the Chancellor thinks thst the increases in custom will be sustained, he's wrong. People just like a quick bargain and will move on when it stops.

I always eat out.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"I always eat out. "

x

By *spotpleasurerMan  over a year ago

Norwich

I've eaten out at restaurants several times in August. General response from those who have signed up- it has increased their sales but not hugely as Mon-Wed evenings are less popular nights for going out. They're seeing an increase at lunch, with the discount people are tempted to sit down and have more than a sandwich.

Surprisingly, no complaints about the reimbursement procedure as they said it was done promptly in a week.

On the other hand, many of the local places are not signed up. Some have even reduced their hours and are open only Thur-Sun, the very days the scheme does not apply! Not sure why, maybe they think it doesn't make enough of a difference to justify paying staff for the less busy days of the week.

Some places are already ripping it off claiming for fake meals that haven't happend so it won't be long untill it's stopped.

"Some places are already ripping it off claiming for fake meals that haven't happend so it won't be long untill it's stopped. "

Well it's only running for this month, so only 8 more days after today, or 9 if they allow it on the bank holiday.

By *iddle Man OP   Man  over a year ago

Walsall

Had thought about the taxman side of things, and probably leaving them selves open for stern audit next few years.

I've also heard it's a bit of a pain for sign up and working it all out, so for smaller business that could be time consuming.

The scheme is leaving its self open for so much fruad and those that are less than honest could make a bit of a profit on the tax payers behalf.

The people I've spoke to have mention those days and nights have been very popular but at the same time bookings on a weekend have been down.

Overall I think its a good thing as it can get people to see that it is possible to go out and enjoy themselves, if not just a little more reserved.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Some aren't signing up because they can't afford the 4 (but could be up to 8 ) week wait to claim the money back from the Government.

Many are living hand to mouth and can't afford supplies, wages, electricity bills etc without the money coming immediately in.

There was a programme on the radio about it a few weeks ago."

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

My sister is is financial controller in a small local chain of restaurants. She says Monday to Wednesday is flat out but the other days are very quiet.

Says it's difficult to plan for and not really earning any money as they loose at the end of the week what they made at the busy time.

Ate out at Ed's Diner tonight and got 50% off the entire bill, not just a tenner each.

Apparently some places are doing this instead.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

Last weekend we booked a table at a local pub/restaurant for last night. When we arrived we were told that it would be at least an hour wait for food which was not acceptable to us, particularly as they were taking walk ins and not prioritising pre booked customers. We won’t be booking anywhere else for eat out to help out, we’ll go to places not offering it or go out on alternative nights. Maybe those not offering it don’t want to disappoint their normal customer base by being so busy that they can’t offer the service that the customer expects

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It could add a lot of unpredictability to smaller businesses, who would face the prospect of buying too much produce and employing too many staff, for increased trade that doesn't come. The opposite could happen too - too little and giving poorer service.

Most small businesses would probably prefer to keep their reputation and standards intact than gamble on hope of increasing custom but possibly losing money, if they make mistakes in their forecasts and overspend.

"Last weekend we booked a table at a local pub/restaurant for last night. When we arrived we were told that it would be at least an hour wait for food which was not acceptable to us, particularly as they were taking walk ins and not prioritising pre booked customers. We won’t be booking anywhere else for eat out to help out, we’ll go to places not offering it or go out on alternative nights. Maybe those not offering it don’t want to disappoint their normal customer base by being so busy that they can’t offer the service that the customer expects"

Tip for you from someone who prior to lockdown ate out virtually every meal everyday.

When a restaurant says it's going to be at least an hour/2 hours/more, just say ' that's fine thank you, I will wait' I do this every time, whether it's just me, or 6 of us and I've never waited more than 15 mins anywhere.

I think it's designed to get rid of you, or get you to book for later so there is less pressure on the staff.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Last weekend we booked a table at a local pub/restaurant for last night. When we arrived we were told that it would be at least an hour wait for food which was not acceptable to us, particularly as they were taking walk ins and not prioritising pre booked customers. We won’t be booking anywhere else for eat out to help out, we’ll go to places not offering it or go out on alternative nights. Maybe those not offering it don’t want to disappoint their normal customer base by being so busy that they can’t offer the service that the customer expects

Tip for you from someone who prior to lockdown ate out virtually every meal everyday.

When a restaurant says it's going to be at least an hour/2 hours/more, just say ' that's fine thank you, I will wait' I do this every time, whether it's just me, or 6 of us and I've never waited more than 15 mins anywhere.

I think it's designed to get rid of you, or get you to book for later so there is less pressure on the staff."

Or to buy alcohol, which isn't covered by the scheme.

"Last weekend we booked a table at a local pub/restaurant for last night. When we arrived we were told that it would be at least an hour wait for food which was not acceptable to us, particularly as they were taking walk ins and not prioritising pre booked customers. We won’t be booking anywhere else for eat out to help out, we’ll go to places not offering it or go out on alternative nights. Maybe those not offering it don’t want to disappoint their normal customer base by being so busy that they can’t offer the service that the customer expects

I think it's designed to get rid of you, or get you to book for later so there is less pressure on the staff.

Or to buy alcohol, which isn't covered by the scheme. "

Some places are allowing it off your bill.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

I think it's designed to get rid of you, or get you to book for later so there is less pressure on the staff."

In my experience, whenever they’ve said that, it has been that long or longer. Hubby had worked a 12 hour shift, having his meal break at 8.30am and then working through. Waiting until 8pm for dinner wasn’t an option. Although we didn’t get our dinner out, we did rather enjoy our fish and chips picked up from the chippy on the way home

» Add a new message to this topic