FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > France

France

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

So woke up this morning to find the news about France, I was a true Tory blue, but I am finding this a bitter pill to swallow, we have to go to France to complete the house purchase next week. Now I have to quarantine for an additional 2 weeks on return, this from the government of the worst hit country in Europe..

The fact that 1,000,000 brits are trying to get back before 4am tomorrow makes me laugh too.

If there are brits in France that have already returned home surely they are just as likely to be infected as people travelling back next week?

It’s pathetic, we are literally driving there, signing for the house, off loading furniture, doing some measuring.. then coming back

The most we are going to do is the signing with the notaire, and supermarket shopping..

I’m more likely to catch it in the U.K. delivering parcels here there and everywhere...

This has really p’eed me off

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

The fact that 1,000,000 brits are trying to get back before 4am tomorrow makes me laugh too.

If there are brits in France that have already returned home surely they are just as likely to be infected as people travelling back next week?"

Well it should be pretty obvious that this is a fast changing situation and foreign travel carries a risk of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I understand what you're saying about risk, but you have to draw a line somewhere, and wherever you draw it, someone won't like it.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"

If there are brits in France that have already returned home surely they are just as likely to be infected as people travelling back next week?

Well it should be pretty obvious that this is a fast changing situation and foreign travel carries a risk of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I understand what you're saying about risk, but you have to draw a line somewhere, and wherever you draw it, someone won't like it."

Exactly this

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

See if you can get a few parcels to drop off while your over there and class the trip as essential. Just like they class all the international lorry drivers who travel all over europe and britain without being checked. If everyone is going to have to isolate on return to the uk then why can t the lorry drivers drop off their trailers in either calais or dover and get a uk driver to finish the ddlivery?

By *otmale5Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Ithe red flagging of countries is understandable as is the quarantine of those coming back into the country. The quarantine should be immediate to everyone . Who says that those who make it back don’t have the virus. The government although perhaps trying to doing the right thing , are causing panic and extra expense to all those who are trying to get back before the deadline. .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

I understand what you're saying about risk, but you have to draw a line somewhere, and wherever you draw it, someone won't like it."

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There will be some of the huge levels of people unable to return before the deadline, who will adjust their exit country accordingly. I understand that people should declare other countries that they had transmitted through but assume that the lack of understanding and resources is unlikely to get that to be done in full.

Op, it's an awful, stressful situation guy that you have had forced on to you, you have my sympathy. I liked the type of idea from another poster about how you may be classified as exempt. I'd be looking to see if you could be eligible for any of the exemptions that may exist, of any type that fit you. I've not researched but obviously delivery and some types of employment, get exemptions.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I don't know where the word guy came from

By *ancs MinxWoman  over a year ago

Burnley

"

I understand what you're saying about risk, but you have to draw a line somewhere, and wherever you draw it, someone won't like it.

"

People going overseas will surely know that anything can happen during these strange times, so go and then if you have to isolate, then isolate, or dont go.....your choice.....but no they winged when it does not go there way....lots of other people have to suck things up during all this covid stuff.......

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

You Loat me at Tory ... I still seriously do NOT understand how a TV/TS can vote for a party that historically and consistently votes against rights for LGBT and freedoms of sexual choice ... mind blown.

On topic it is totally nuts that they don’t close the borders immediately why wait? It’s ridiculous - I totally agree. I don’t understand why people are trying to get round the rules though tbh - this pandemic has shown a totally baffling side to humanity that’s heart breaking.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

*lost

By *heplayerMan  over a year ago

Birkenhead

"So woke up this morning to find the news about France, I was a true Tory blue, but I am finding this a bitter pill to swallow, we have to go to France to complete the house purchase next week. Now I have to quarantine for an additional 2 weeks on return, this from the government of the worst hit country in Europe..

It’s pathetic, we are literally driving there, signing for the house, off loading furniture, doing some measuring.. then coming back

The most we are going to do is the signing with the notaire, and supermarket shopping..

I’m more likely to catch it in the U.K. delivering parcels here there and everywhere...

This has really p’eed me off"

Just do as your advised and stop being selfish just because this affects your situation stop feeling hard done by and look at the bigger picture and the safety of others

"You Loat me at Tory ... I still seriously do NOT understand how a TV/TS can vote for a party that historically and consistently votes against rights for LGBT and freedoms of sexual choice ... mind blown.

On topic it is totally nuts that they don’t close the borders immediately why wait? It’s ridiculous - I totally agree. I don’t understand why people are trying to get round the rules though tbh - this pandemic has shown a totally baffling side to humanity that’s heart breaking. "

The greatest skill of the political elite is to have us vote against our best interests. OP may be TV but as this thread is about their house in France, I guess it is the business interests and tax breaks that push them blue.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"You Loat me at Tory ... I still seriously do NOT understand how a TV/TS can vote for a party that historically and consistently votes against rights for LGBT and freedoms of sexual choice ... mind blown.

On topic it is totally nuts that they don’t close the borders immediately why wait? It’s ridiculous - I totally agree. I don’t understand why people are trying to get round the rules though tbh - this pandemic has shown a totally baffling side to humanity that’s heart breaking. "

This..

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

I feel sorry for those that are stuck, but we were warned about France last week. Anyone risking going out of the UK must be prepared to have their plans changed or face isolation on return.

The problem is those returning tonight have no less risk than those return in a few days time so it's a bit of a no win situation.

By *aisyDoandDaisyDontWoman  over a year ago

little old town of Reading!

What are you on about? Same sex marriage was legalised under the Tory party in 2014???

Ever since this all started, there was always a risk of Lockdown, quarentine, and anyone going on holiday in another country has to expect this will happen.

No matter what the goverment do its dammed we do and dammed if they don't. No matter what party is in, personally I can not comme t on how they are handling it, as I would not want to be making all those decisions that affect millions of people, its is the most stressful job in the country right now aside from doctors, every leader around the world are making choices and every country complain we have become a society of moaners instead of taking responsibility and supporting goverment decisions and no I am not a tory supporter just a responsible citizen

Who is going to admit they’ve returned from France after the self-isolation deadline. Who is going to monitor the million or so expected to quarantine for fourteen days? What action will the authorities take against those that disobey the instruction? We are relying on good old British common sense and honesty, traits which are woefully absent in our Government. Omnishambles.

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

I just find it a little bizarre

We got 330,000 out of France in just over 3 days in 1940 ... what’s the problem now!

Where’s the Dunkirk spirit!!!

R x

Leicestershire

"Who is going to admit they’ve returned from France after the self-isolation deadline. Who is going to monitor the million or so expected to quarantine for fourteen days? What action will the authorities take against those that disobey the instruction? We are relying on good old British common sense and honesty, traits which are woefully absent in our Government. Omnishambles. "

Common sense and honesty should be something we all have, not something we should be reliant on politicians of any flavour to impart on us.

If people refuse to comply, and it is deemed too hard to enforce, then the next obvious step would be to stop transport to and from France for the public... that'd go down well I bet...

"I just find it a little bizarre

We got 330,000 out of France in just over 3 days in 1940 ... what’s the problem now!

R x"

That’s actually quite funny! Thank you for a smile in these gloomy times

Leicestershire

"I just find it a little bizarre

R x"

I was just thinking that!

By *oistknickersCouple  over a year ago

London

You have to fill out a form on the ferry plane or tunnel so they will know.
"Who is going to admit they’ve returned from France after the self-isolation deadline. Who is going to monitor the million or so expected to quarantine for fourteen days? What action will the authorities take against those that disobey the instruction? We are relying on good old British common sense and honesty, traits which are woefully absent in our Government. Omnishambles. "

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

On topic it is totally nuts that they don’t close the borders immediately why wait? It’s ridiculous - I totally agree. I don’t understand why people are trying to get round the rules though tbh - this pandemic has shown a totally baffling side to humanity that’s heart breaking.

What are you on about? Same sex marriage was legalised under the Tory party in 2014??? "

Clause 28 and there was mother Theresa's digital economy act. They were also trying to restrict certain consensual activities as well.

What are you on about? Same sex marriage was legalised under the Tory party in 2014???

Clause 28 and there was mother Theresa's digital economy act. They were also trying to restrict certain consensual activities as well."

Clause 28 happened in 1988...

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

I'm guessing if you step or drive off a plane or ferry from France it's a dead giveaway

They might not check everyone,. But if they check you and your not quarantined I guess you'll not be concerned about the people that got off.

Shops can't check everyome for shoplifting but most of us obey the laws

Derry

Clause 28 and there was mother Theresa's digital economy act. They were also trying to restrict certain consensual activities as well.

Clause 28 happened in 1988..."

And wasn't taken off the statute books until 2003. Hague, Cameron and May all opposed repealing the legislation.

Clause 28 happened in 1988... And wasn't taken off the statute books until 2003. Hague, Cameron and May all opposed repealing the legislation. "

I don’t even know why I’m arguing this tbh, ive never voted Tory in my life and never intend to!! But you are talking about 1988- I was six years old then. And 2003. Nearly twenty years ago. Come on!

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

"You have to fill out a form on the ferry plane or tunnel so they will know. Who is going to admit they’ve returned from France after the self-isolation deadline. Who is going to monitor the million or so expected to quarantine for fourteen days? What action will the authorities take against those that disobey the instruction? We are relying on good old British common sense and honesty, traits which are woefully absent in our Government. Omnishambles. "

Filling out a form and having the man power to check where everyone is are two different things ?

How many people answer the door when Jehovah witnesses coming calling ?

Those that have or are planning to travel abroad knew that they may have to quarantine on returning to the Uk , so if they are looking for sympathy try the dictionary next to syphilis

You should look at the list of people who are exempted...from lorry drivers and customs officials and loads in between. Infact is appears if you go to France regularly as part of your work ...and therefore more likely to come into contact with infected people you are exempt! If you nip over for a booze run for a few hours and therefore less likely to meet infected people..you have to quarantine?? Yet again rather illogical regulations.

Derry

Clause 28 happened in 1988... And wasn't taken off the statute books until 2003. Hague, Cameron and May all opposed repealing the legislation.

I don’t even know why I’m arguing this tbh, ive never voted Tory in my life and never intend to!! But you are talking about 1988- I was six years old then. And 2003. Nearly twenty years ago. Come on! "

I also cited 2 much more recent examples. Mays age verification scheme (didn't go through) and there was attempted additional steps tp limit what consenting adults could do. I think (hazily) that was when May was home secretary about 2015.

Clause 28 happened in 1988... And wasn't taken off the statute books until 2003. Hague, Cameron and May all opposed repealing the legislation.

I don’t even know why I’m arguing this tbh, ive never voted Tory in my life and never intend to!! But you are talking about 1988- I was six years old then. And 2003. Nearly twenty years ago. Come on!

I also cited 2 much more recent examples. Mays age verification scheme (didn't go through) and there was attempted additional steps tp limit what consenting adults could do. I think (hazily) that was when May was home secretary about 2015."

Okay... so half a decade ago, someone campaigned about a couple of issues and neither of the acts got past the vote? Look- I don’t want to stick up for the tories, but you have to see your argument is weak?

Derry

I also cited 2 much more recent examples. Mays age verification scheme (didn't go through) and there was attempted additional steps tp limit what consenting adults could do. I think (hazily) that was when May was home secretary about 2015.

Okay... so half a decade ago, someone campaigned about a couple of issues and neither of the acts got past the vote? Look- I don’t want to stick up for the tories, but you have to see your argument is weak?"

The age verification scheme became law in 2017 was abandoned in 2019, not because it was a bad idea but that it was unworkable. AFAIK the other legislation has been passed into law. So it's a little more than campaign promises.

"

"

People going overseas will surely know that anything can happen during these strange times, so go and then if you have to isolate, then isolate, or dont go.....your choice.....but no they winged when it does not go there way....lots of other people have to suck things up during all this covid stuff......."

Okay... so half a decade ago, someone campaigned about a couple of issues and neither of the acts got past the vote? Look- I don’t want to stick up for the tories, but you have to see your argument is weak?

The age verification scheme became law in 2017 was abandoned in 2019, not because it was a bad idea but that it was unworkable. AFAIK the other legislation has been passed into law. So it's a little more than campaign promises."

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one tbh... I’m reading your response thinking “yeah that’s fair” but also agreeing with my own opinion. I think we both have a little bit of correct in our arguments...It’s a funny old place to be

Our infection rate is currently 17 per 100,000 and falling. In France it is 35 and rising.

Duh!!

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"You have to fill out a form on the ferry plane or tunnel so they will know. Who is going to admit they’ve returned from France after the self-isolation deadline. Who is going to monitor the million or so expected to quarantine for fourteen days? What action will the authorities take against those that disobey the instruction? We are relying on good old British common sense and honesty, traits which are woefully absent in our Government. Omnishambles.

Filling out a form and having the man power to check where everyone is are two different things ?

Those that have or are planning to travel abroad knew that they may have to quarantine on returning to the Uk , so if they are looking for sympathy try the dictionary next to syphilis "

How I wish I had a dictionary toy hand - I feel a compulsive need to look this up

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I hope you don't have to quarantine when you get over there as well. I've heard France might follow suit.

Can't you postpone your house purchase?

"I hope you don't have to quarantine when you get over there as well. I've heard France might follow suit.

"

In France you can put forward a proxy to sign for your house or the notaries can do it on your behalf so there would be no need to delay anything.

T

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"I hope you don't have to quarantine when you get over there as well. I've heard France might follow suit.

In France you can put forward a proxy to sign for your house or the notaries can do it on your behalf so there would be no need to delay anything.

T"

So no need for the OP to go then? Job done

i know other people have raised different gripes with the OPs politics but what stumps me is the fickleness ... why you would be a “true blue” and then one decision you don't like changes your politics... and why people associate party politics with a global pandemic in the first place

it doesn’t matter what colour are in power just now ... wouldn’t matter if it was different... we all have to put up with life looking a little different to what we are used to

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"i know other people have raised different gripes with the OPs politics but what stumps me is the fickleness ... why you would be a “true blue” and then one decision you don't like changes your politics... and why people associate party politics with a global pandemic in the first place

it doesn’t matter what colour are in power just now ... wouldn’t matter if it was different... we all have to put up with life looking a little different to what we are used to "

Agreed, and sometimes we need to take responsibility for the decisions we make during this period. You can't always blame someone else. My most enduring school lesson... Nobody said that life was fair.

By *ensualguy70TV/TS  over a year ago

paisley

unfortunatley this is the only time the government can force you into isolation, after international travel, that was the primary public health legislation that this Corona Virus legislation is subourned from.

Corona Virus Act does not allow any isolation within the country you reside in however they do try to get away with it hopng nobody is clued up, the same as using the Corona Virus legislation to stop stop mtor vehicles to ascertain the reason for your journey, it is unlawful tactics used by the police

By *etasubTV/TS  over a year ago

West of Newcastle

"Our infection rate is currently 17 per 100,000 and falling. In France it is 35 and rising.

Duh!!"

You are to logical. People only want to hear media hysteria, the same hypocritical media who will ask why the government did not close borders. All the media do is look for headlines.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"Our infection rate is currently 17 per 100,000 and falling. In France it is 35 and rising.

Duh!!

You are to logical. People only want to hear media hysteria, the same hypocritical media who will ask why the government did not close borders. All the media do is look for headlines."

Loads complained we allowed people in during March and didnt make them isolate, now the same ones complain we are making them isolate. Good old media, andvthey wonder why people dont bother reading,watching or listening to them in ever increasing numbers

"

This

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

Finding it really difficult to fathom some of this. We are in the middle of a pandemic that appears to be very dangerous to a reasonable proportion of the population if it is left uncontrolled. Why oh why are people surprised by the requirement to apply restrictions?

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Duh!!

You are to logical. People only want to hear media hysteria, the same hypocritical media who will ask why the government did not close borders. All the media do is look for headlines.

Loads complained we allowed people in during March and didnt make them isolate, now the same ones complain we are making them isolate. Good old media, andvthey wonder why people dont bother reading,watching or listening to them in ever increasing numbers"

Exactly and today France has put paris on its own red list .

Least you can afford to buy a house in France !!a lot of people mite lose there own homes due to the redundancys so think yer self lucky

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

I’d be more pissed off about being a Tory ... oh dear what an inconvenience ha ha

By *J647Couple  over a year ago

Daventry

"You have to fill out a form on the ferry plane or tunnel so they will know. Who is going to admit they’ve returned from France after the self-isolation deadline. Who is going to monitor the million or so expected to quarantine for fourteen days? What action will the authorities take against those that disobey the instruction? We are relying on good old British common sense and honesty, traits which are woefully absent in our Government. Omnishambles.

Those that have or are planning to travel abroad knew that they may have to quarantine on returning to the Uk , so if they are looking for sympathy try the dictionary next to syphilis

How I wish I had a dictionary toy hand - I feel a compulsive need to look this up "

This made me look (Oxford English Mini Dictionary) above syphilis is synthetic below is syringe,

How I wish I had a dictionary toy hand - I feel a compulsive need to look this up

This made me look (Oxford English Mini Dictionary) above syphilis is synthetic below is syringe,

"

You have to sympathise with them for getting it wrong

"Ever since this all started, there was always a risk of Lockdown, quarentine, and anyone going on holiday in another country has to expect this will happen.

No matter what the goverment do its dammed we do and dammed if they don't. No matter what party is in, personally I can not comme t on how they are handling it, as I would not want to be making all those decisions that affect millions of people, its is the most stressful job in the country right now aside from doctors, every leader around the world are making choices and every country complain we have become a society of moaners instead of taking responsibility and supporting goverment decisions and no I am not a tory supporter just a responsible citizen "

"Least you can afford to buy a house in France !!a lot of people mite lose there own homes due to the redundancys so think yer self lucky "

Fair point.

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

You have to sympathise with them for getting it wrong"

Everyday is a School day

I love it when we have quarantine for people returning from countries that have a better record of handling COVID-19 than we do.

It's like wiping your feet on the doormat when you leave the house.

"So woke up this morning to find the news about France, I was a true Tory blue, but I am finding this a bitter pill to swallow, we have to go to France to complete the house purchase next week. Now I have to quarantine for an additional 2 weeks on return, this from the government of the worst hit country in Europe..

This has really p’eed me off"

If you prefer not to go you can use a Solicitor in U.K. to act for you - or give your proxy to the Estate Agent in France - you don’t have to attend to complete on your purchase.

As U.K. has 17 in 100,00 cases and France have 47 it makes perfect sense to me. I have a house in France and generally split my time 51/49% but came back to U.K. in March and probably won’t visit till next year now.

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Irrespective of peoples political views or if you think others selfish for wanting to travel or holiday, there is one overriding fact that needs to be addressed.

Right at the start, decisions were made and implemented slowly to allow for the public to accept the change, digest it and then make informed decisions on how to deal with the change (which invariably involved buying all the pasta and bog paper you could find)..

However, with the travel bans based upon FCO advice, these were implemented with not much more than 24hours notice and with advice that those travelling can finish their trip but will be subject to quarantine upon return.

We saw families making a mad dash to get home, panic stricken they may have to quarantine for two weeks which could affect their jobs..

Now I know there were rumours that France, netherlands, Malta, etc. Could be going on the list, but this was speculation with nothing other than Spains travel ban as a guide...

This was all new to all of us.

So rather than the knee jerk reaction that was taken, a more phased approach should have been employed, something along the lines of -

1 - A clear warning from the government a week prior that a decision will be made.

2 - Daily updates on the liklihood of a travel ban based upon the relevant countries data.

3 - Reasonable time allowed for those currently travelling to return without need to quarantine following the ban.

When it comes to people's lives and emotional well being, the current situation is stressful enough, without poorly executed decisions exacerbating it for them.

Leicestershire

"Irrespective of peoples political views or if you think others selfish for wanting to travel or holiday, there is one overriding fact that needs to be addressed.

Right at the start, decisions were made and implemented slowly to allow for the public to accept the change, digest it and then make informed decisions on how to deal with the change (which invariably involved buying all the pasta and bog paper you could find)..

However, with the travel bans based upon FCO advice, these were implemented with not much more than 24hours notice and with advice that those travelling can finish their trip but will be subject to quarantine upon return.

We saw families making a mad dash to get home, panic stricken they may have to quarantine for two weeks which could affect their jobs..

Now I know there were rumours that France, netherlands, Malta, etc. Could be going on the list, but this was speculation with nothing other than Spains travel ban as a guide...

This was all new to all of us.

So rather than the knee jerk reaction that was taken, a more phased approach should have been employed, something along the lines of -

1 - A clear warning from the government a week prior that a decision will be made.

2 - Daily updates on the liklihood of a travel ban based upon the relevant countries data.

3 - Reasonable time allowed for those currently travelling to return without need to quarantine following the ban.

When it comes to people's lives and emotional well being, the current situation is stressful enough, without poorly executed decisions exacerbating it for them. "

It's too fast a moving situation to be able to give people weeks of notice that there's going to be a lockdown.

I'm not hugely interested in going abroad, but even I know that foreign travel is liable to be disrupted at present so none of this should really be a massive surprise.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

Just. Don't. Go. Or do the quarantine, it's not the brightest idea to be travelling internationally during this time.

Duh!!"

If you believe the figures.

On the site I referred to the UK was 20.7

It was also the only the country reporting a negative death rate (-7.3). I don't know how yo interpret a negative death rate. Are we so good that we bring the dead to life.

Whilst we've been pointing fingers at other countries for fudging the figures, we've probably been the best at doing this from the start. Before we had reached 40 000 the Financial Times reported there were already 50 000 actual deaths. I figure we still haven't reached.

Croatia , Austria and Trinidad and Tobago just been added to quarantine list.

Why on earth people are moaning about this is beyond me. You have 2 choices

1 stop in the UK for your holiday.

2 go abroad and take it on the chin if it goes pear shaped.

If you booked your break after March even in the UK nothing is guaranteed.

I decided to stop at home for my break and very glad I did. My gut feeling is there is a lot more headless chicken running around to go through yet before we all decide this is a bit silly what's going on.

"Why on earth people are moaning about this is beyond me. You have 2 choices

1 stop in the UK for your holiday.

2 go abroad and take it on the chin if it goes pear shaped.

If you booked your break after March even in the UK nothing is guaranteed.

I decided to stop at home for my break and very glad I did. My gut feeling is there is a lot more headless chicken running around to go through yet before we all decide this is a bit silly what's going on."

Where did you go ?

» Add a new message to this topic