FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Exam Grades!

Exam Grades!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *achel Smyth OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

I understand this will be quite emotive ... but ...

There is a national outcry when exam grades are ‘under graded’ .... everyone blames the regulators - and Govt... but no one dare suggest teachers may have over graded???

The GSE results come out - this time based upon teachers grades .... and there is an astonished unprecedented 10% increase in pass grades .... but again no one dare suggest teachers have over graded here and what an amazing year it is - it will be interesting to see what happens next year!!

As we know schools, and teachers are judged on their pass rates and are now effectively ‘marking their own homework’ - please forgive the metaphor here! So have a vested interest in better results.

I am not for one minute suggesting the A levels result process was right .... but to me, neither is this! but everyone is happy cos no-one is upset or feels disadvantaged!

The question is in years to come, is anyone going to have any faith in any of the results from this year - I question them both ways!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

I thought that the individual teachers assessments were scrutinised by heads of departments?

I get what your saying yes but it seems to be the case that one system unfairly advantages the grades of those from Eton etc and the other the local secondary..

Whilst it would have been better to have at least facilitated and resourced (as well as key worker children) those who were due to sit the exams that never were we are stuck with a hard choice, give an advantage to a few or a much bigger group..

It could be levelled out when the academic pressures and levels to attain etc take effect ..

It's a mess and no one is responsible it seems..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I suppose it depends which bias you prefer. One that gives you credit for work done or one for which school your parents could afford to send you to.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Firstly, the reason the algorithm was used is because the government was suggesting teachers were going to over grade, and couldn’t be trusted. Well, as with anything the current administration touches, it was a shambles as a consequence.

Secondly, the whole point of our education system is to continually improve teaching and processes to enable students to do better. Then, when students do better, the media like to imagine it’s because teachers are fixing things and exams are getting easier.

Let’s put it this way - of everyone involved in this fiasco, the only ones you should have any faith or belief in at all are the students and the teachers.

We trust teachers to educate our kids, evaluate their work over the year, but not mark their work at the end of the year.

Farnborough

"We trust teachers to educate our kids, evaluate their work over the year, but not mark their work at the end of the year."

Exactly my point!

In most other areas of life an independent governance and assurance process is always considered more fair - and (in most cases!) in house governance should always be questioned!

Where in adult life do you have to sit down and do a timed exam to prove you are qualified for your job/ pay rise?

Exams are a dated way of testing some students who can remember things mainly through short term memory.

The work that had accumulated over the past year/ years will show editing and progress. The teachers will have supported and guided when necessary encouraging the best of each pupil. This is exactly like the real world where your manager would nurture and develop your skills.

Teachers are moderated and rightly so. This allows an un bias across the school/ college.

This is the way forward for all assessments- moving in line with modern Britain. If anything; teacher assessments across schools should be increased to reinforce that it is fair.

Scrap all exams. Reduce stress. Trust teachers and schools to do their job.

"We trust teachers to educate our kids, evaluate their work over the year, but not mark their work at the end of the year.

Exactly my point!

In most other areas of life an independent governance and assurance process is always considered more fair - and (in most cases!) in house governance should always be questioned! "

But maybe not during a pandemic. I'd prefer to trust the judgement of someone who has been overseeing their education all year than an algorithm that decides your grades depends on the achievements of kids who attended that school the year before.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The teachers' predicted grades were supposed to be "The very best outcome that a student might have achieved" in the exam, based on the student's proven ability and their attitude to learning.

I have no doubt that many students will have received higher grades than they deserved... at our school though, some students were marked up by "the algorithm" and achieved higher grades than were available from the level of exam they took.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Where in adult life do you have to sit down and do a timed exam to prove you are qualified for your job/ pay rise?

Exams are a dated way of testing some students who can remember things mainly through short term memory.

The work that had accumulated over the past year/ years will show editing and progress. The teachers will have supported and guided when necessary encouraging the best of each pupil. This is exactly like the real world where your manager would nurture and develop your skills.

Teachers are moderated and rightly so. This allows an un bias across the school/ college.

This is the way forward for all assessments- moving in line with modern Britain. If anything; teacher assessments across schools should be increased to reinforce that it is fair.

Scrap all exams. Reduce stress. Trust teachers and schools to do their job. "

I agree with some of your sentiments, but scrapping exams is not the answer - we have a politicians who have absolutely no qualifications in the subject they are responsible for, and I think mkst people would agree that this is far from perfect...

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

"I understand this will be quite emotive ... but ...

There is a national outcry when exam grades are ‘under graded’ .... everyone blames the regulators - and Govt... but no one dare suggest teachers may have over graded???

The GSE results come out - this time based upon teachers grades .... and there is an astonished unprecedented 10% increase in pass grades .... but again no one dare suggest teachers have over graded here and what an amazing year it is - it will be interesting to see what happens next year!!

As we know schools, and teachers are judged on their pass rates and are now effectively ‘marking their own homework’ - please forgive the metaphor here! So have a vested interest in better results.

I am not for one minute suggesting the A levels result process was right .... but to me, neither is this! but everyone is happy cos no-one is upset or feels disadvantaged!

The question is in years to come, is anyone going to have any faith in any of the results from this year - I question them both ways!"

Did you do logic at school? Tell you why I ask. You say that no-one dare suggest that teachers may have over-graded. Then you plough right on and suggest teachers may have over-graded. I mean, I'm as much in favour of rhetorical hyperbole as the next man, but claiming that you're not allowed to do something, then doing something, is Christopher Waxey Lemon levels of propaganda.

"Where in adult life do you have to sit down and do a timed exam to prove you are qualified for your job/ pay rise?

I agree with some of your sentiments, but scrapping exams is not the answer - we have a politicians who have absolutely no qualifications in the subject they are responsible for, and I think mkst people would agree that this is far from perfect..."

You can get a qualification without an exam

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Scrap all exams. Reduce stress. Trust teachers and schools to do their job. "

Many jobs need CPD assessments be able to continue your job, both I and K have to in ours, often assessed and judged by people who have far less experience and actual knowledge in our respective fields.

As for the gcse results it's funny how some of those who criticised the downgrading of A levels which still resulted in a higher average grade are happy to accept the ridiculous situation in gcse results where the average grade has jumped by a huge margin, they are forgetting that those in previous and subsequent years have been disadvantaged by this years results .

Far easier to just give everyone an A star and forget all about exams

Farnborough

The question is in years to come, is anyone going to have any faith in any of the results from this year - I question them both ways!Did you do logic at school? Tell you why I ask. You say that no-one dare suggest that teachers may have over-graded. Then you plough right on and suggest teachers may have over-graded. I mean, I'm as much in favour of rhetorical hyperbole as the next man, but claiming that you're not allowed to do something, then doing something, is Christopher Waxey Lemon levels of propaganda. "

Logic wasn’t a subject offered in my day.... only proper subjects, examined and judged independently, and did quite well thank you! to tertiary level and beyond!

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Principle #1 of assessment - assessor has no knowledge or relationship with candidate. Examiners don’t even know the gender or ethnicity of a learner because of bias, we spend years developing robust systems like comparative pairs and this sets us back decades.

Assessment is a high risk low reward area. You get it 100% right, no one notices, it’s expected, you get it 0.5% the daily mail and lefty teachers are ranting.

Teachers know nothing about assessment , most know very little about learning either, they know how to teach, they should get in with that and stay out of things they don’t understand

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

"

Teachers know nothing about assessment , most know very little about learning either, they know how to teach, they should get in with that and stay out of things they don’t understand "

How are you defining assessment? Part of a teachers job description is ‘the ongoing assessment of pupils and their learning’ yet you say teachers know nothing about this section of their role? Teacher training covers assessment in great depth and teachers are required to submit data upon data upon data assessment from when a child is 4. Sooooo by the the time that child has teacher age 16 or 18 the teachers ‘who should stay out of things they don’t understand’ . Have assessed these children many many many times. I’m curious as to the information you have to back up your statement. Please elaborate.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"

Teachers know nothing about assessment , most know very little about learning either, they know how to teach, they should get in with that and stay out of things they don’t understand

How are you defining assessment? Part of a teachers job description is ‘the ongoing assessment of pupils and their learning’ yet you say teachers know nothing about this section of their role? Teacher training covers assessment in great depth and teachers are required to submit data upon data upon data assessment from when a child is 4. Sooooo by the the time that child has teacher age 16 or 18 the teachers ‘who should stay out of things they don’t understand’ . Have assessed these children many many many times. I’m curious as to the information you have to back up your statement. Please elaborate. "

The phrase 'leftie teachers-should have told you all you needed to know.

South

"

How are you defining assessment? Part of a teachers job description is ‘the ongoing assessment of pupils and their learning’ yet you say teachers know nothing about this section of their role? Teacher training covers assessment in great depth and teachers are required to submit data upon data upon data assessment from when a child is 4. Sooooo by the the time that child has teacher age 16 or 18 the teachers ‘who should stay out of things they don’t understand’ . Have assessed these children many many many times. I’m curious as to the information you have to back up your statement. Please elaborate.

The phrase 'leftie teachers-should have told you all you needed to know."

Ahh missed that bit .... I’m not a secondary teacher so wondered why it was so different but it may actually be I know more about it than the poster in that case.

liverpool

Teachers know very little about learning too apparently.

It makes me wonder if exams are a bad idea. Perhaps most students find them difficult. Timed amplified stress.

Less stress in normal situations = better output and able to demonstrate their skills and understanding. Hence this year's GCSE marks assessed by teachers are more reliable....?

liverpool

"It makes me wonder if exams are a bad idea. Perhaps most students find them difficult. Timed amplified stress.

Less stress in normal situations = better output and able to demonstrate their skills and understanding. Hence this year's GCSE marks assessed by teachers are more reliable....?"

Arent GCSE marked over a period of coursework and a levels are still exam based?

South

"Teachers know very little about learning too apparently. "

I know - lazy shirkers who work 9-3 and get 13 weeks holiday a year.

"Teachers know very little about learning too apparently.

I know - lazy shirkers who work 9-3 and get 13 weeks holiday a year. "

You’re making me laugh x

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

The intelligence of the children taking A levels is basically the same every year which is why the number getting each grade would be expected to be the same each year. If it isn't then it means the exams were easier or harder or the marking was stricter or less strict. The algorithm adjusts the mark to get rid of this disparity. The pupil doesn't normally see the unmoderated marks so can't see the adjustment. This time they saw their predicted grades and their final grades and could see the adjustment.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

I agree with some of your sentiments, but scrapping exams is not the answer - we have a politicians who have absolutely no qualifications in the subject they are responsible for, and I think mkst people would agree that this is far from perfect...

You can get a qualification without an exam"

Probably not one that means anything. Pilots, doctors etc. have to prove the learnt something with exams.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"It makes me wonder if exams are a bad idea. Perhaps most students find them difficult. Timed amplified stress.

Less stress in normal situations = better output and able to demonstrate their skills and understanding. Hence this year's GCSE marks assessed by teachers are more reliable....?"

A little stress is good preparation for entering the adult workplace where you will sometimes\often be expected to cope with juggling three things at once, often with a hand tied behind your back...

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Exams aren't a perfect way of assessing students.

Nerves, failure to prepare, heat, hayfever, stress, prioritizing certain subjects over others, multiple exams in one day can, poor recollection skills etc can all lead to under performance in exams.

The teacher grades were a professional reflection on their how that student has performed over a longer period of time and probably a better reflection on that students ability than a 90 minute exam.

South

"Teachers know very little about learning too apparently.

I know - lazy shirkers who work 9-3 and get 13 weeks holiday a year.

You’re making me laugh x"

South

"

The teacher grades were a professional reflection on their how that student has performed over a longer period of time and probably a better reflection on that students ability than a 90 minute exam. "

Nooo surely you’re not actually suggesting...( I can’t even bring myself to type the words it’s so revolutionary) ...... trusting the professionals to do the the job they’re paid for and know what they’re talking about. Well I’ll be damned what a novel suggestion.

Dubai

"

How are you defining assessment? Part of a teachers job description is ‘the ongoing assessment of pupils and their learning’ yet you say teachers know nothing about this section of their role? Teacher training covers assessment in great depth and teachers are required to submit data upon data upon data assessment from when a child is 4. Sooooo by the the time that child has teacher age 16 or 18 the teachers ‘who should stay out of things they don’t understand’ . Have assessed these children many many many times. I’m curious as to the information you have to back up your statement. Please elaborate. "

The fact that you’ve assessed them many times and know them invalidates the assessment. Have a read of general conditions of regulation for exam and certification bodies , it tells you how robust valid assessment differed from teachers marking. Have a look at research on comparative pairs and how judgements are made when assessing lots of similar things sequentially. Continuous teacher assessment has its place - it gives the teacher feedback on how well they are doing - but it can’t be used for high stakes end-point of summative assessing

Dubai

"

The teacher grades were a professional reflection on their how that student has performed over a longer period of time and probably a better reflection on that students ability than a 90 minute exam.

Nooo surely you’re not actually suggesting...( I can’t even bring myself to type the words it’s so revolutionary) ...... trusting the professionals to do the the job they’re paid for and know what they’re talking about. Well I’ll be damned what a novel suggestion. "

They are not assessment or certification professionals. They are paid to facilitate learning by teaching, it’s a completely different skill set

South

"

The fact that you’ve assessed them many times and know them invalidates the assessment. Have a read of general conditions of regulation for exam and certification bodies , it tells you how robust valid assessment differed from teachers marking. Have a look at research on comparative pairs and how judgements are made when assessing lots of similar things sequentially. Continuous teacher assessment has its place - it gives the teacher feedback on how well they are doing - but it can’t be used for high stakes end-point of summative assessing "

Maybe you should have phrased your first post like that instead of being so bloody insulting!

You can get a qualification without an exam

Probably not one that means anything. Pilots, doctors etc. have to prove the learnt something with exams."

But do they have to prove it with exams? Once they have their qualification- is an exam the way to prove they are capable? Is there not another method that judges their ability without sitting in a room and sitting a cold question? Even doctors now if they haven’t seen something in a while will open their book and search.

Bham

"

Nooo surely you’re not actually suggesting...( I can’t even bring myself to type the words it’s so revolutionary) ...... trusting the professionals to do the the job they’re paid for and know what they’re talking about. Well I’ll be damned what a novel suggestion. "

I may be biased....

Bham

"

Nooo surely you’re not actually suggesting...( I can’t even bring myself to type the words it’s so revolutionary) ...... trusting the professionals to do the the job they’re paid for and know what they’re talking about. Well I’ll be damned what a novel suggestion.

They are not assessment or certification professionals. They are paid to facilitate learning by teaching, it’s a completely different skill set "

So why do they allow teachers to assess coursework on behalf of their assessment organisation? Why do they employ the same teachers to mark and assess the end of course exams taken?

How do those teachers assess the impact of the learning they've facilitated if not through ongoing assessment throughout the course?

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

Just give everyone a*, what's the problem.

I just think in years to come no one is going to believe any of the grades this covid class got, I've seen people with pretty low scores and no real chance of passing getting As and Bs. It's nothing to do with me and those kids have to get something so just let it be,but don't believe that kids that can bearly spell his name got an A in English, I don't care what Edexcel say.

Bham

"Just give everyone a*, what's the problem.

I just think in years to come no one is going to believe any of the grades this covid class got, I've seen people with pretty low scores and no real chance of passing getting As and Bs. It's nothing to do with me and those kids have to get something so just let it be,but don't believe that kids that can bearly spell his name got an A in English, I don't care what Edexcel say. "

They don't get As anymore, but that aside, no self respecting teacher is going to give a student who can't spell their name an 8 or 9.

Unless the whole school is corrupt as it wouldn't get past the team leader, or the senior leaders or the Head.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I just think in years to come no one is going to believe any of the grades this covid class got, I've seen people with pretty low scores and no real chance of passing getting As and Bs. It's nothing to do with me and those kids have to get something so just let it be,but don't believe that kids that can bearly spell his name got an A in English, I don't care what Edexcel say.

They don't get As anymore, but that aside, no self respecting teacher is going to give a student who can't spell their name an 8 or 9.

Unless the whole school is corrupt as it wouldn't get past the team leader, or the senior leaders or the Head. "

I do think that unfortunately the "Record High Exam Results" do suggest that many schools have deliberately inflated their results.

I know that our school was instructed to take a "Best Case Scenario" approach to predicting the grades, but these "Record" results seem to be more than just that. Also, the B-Tech results will now be inflated so they are comparable to the GCSE grades which will just compound the situation... it's certainly understandable that people are sceptical.

On the other hand, you could argue that it is better to give the students a higher grade rather than a lower one, to ensure their entry onto college courses.

Cal

Cramlington

The question is in years to come, is anyone going to have any faith in any of the results from this year - I question them both ways!Did you do logic at school? Tell you why I ask. You say that no-one dare suggest that teachers may have over-graded. Then you plough right on and suggest teachers may have over-graded. I mean, I'm as much in favour of rhetorical hyperbole as the next man, but claiming that you're not allowed to do something, then doing something, is Christopher Waxey Lemon levels of propaganda.

Logic wasn’t a subject offered in my day.... only proper subjects, examined and judged independently, and did quite well thank you! to tertiary level and beyond! "

You're doing a good job of hiding your intellectual light under a bushel. The idea that logic isn't a proper subject will come as somthing of a shock to people on courses as varied as Philosophy, Mathematics and Computing.

Cramlington

Unless the whole school is corrupt as it wouldn't get past the team leader, or the senior leaders or the Head. "

"but don't believe that kids that can bearly spell his name got an A in English"

Am I the only one who thinks this sentence would get an A* in irony?

By *idnight_Express69Man  over a year ago

Rochdale

[Removed by poster at 22/08/20 10:50:33]

By *oey69essexdoggerMan  over a year ago

Clacton-on-Sea

In most professions , for example financial services , you need to study and sit exams to gain qualifications to prove that you are competent and qualified.

Would you take advice on your financial future from an unqualified individual ?

Bham

"In most professions , for example financial services , you need to study and sit exams to gain qualifications to prove that you are competent and qualified.

Would you take advice on your financial future from an unqualified individual ?"

There's different ways to assess people. For instance, let's take driving and the less than one hour practical test.

What would be a better way of assessing someone's driving ability?

A. An under one hour test, doing some manoeuvres they've repeatedly practised, or

B. Fitting a black box and monitoring their driving over a year or over a number of hours?

Bham

Unless the whole school is corrupt as it wouldn't get past the team leader, or the senior leaders or the Head.

I do think that unfortunately the "Record High Exam Results" do suggest that many schools have deliberately inflated their results.

I know that our school was instructed to take a "Best Case Scenario" approach to predicting the grades, but these "Record" results seem to be more than just that. Also, the B-Tech results will now be inflated so they are comparable to the GCSE grades which will just compound the situation... it's certainly understandable that people are sceptical.

On the other hand, you could argue that it is better to give the students a higher grade rather than a lower one, to ensure their entry onto college courses.

Cal"

They had to be based in some reality though, if the exam board was to query any of the results, the data shown should have matched the grade predicted, for example the student couldn't have been receiving 1s and 2s at previous data points and in their mock and then be predicted a 9 for the final result. As long as there is credible evidence to back up the prediction then it would be hopefully accurate even if best case.

I agree that the btec results have been pulled to be inflated though.

Cramlington

"In most professions , for example financial services , you need to study and sit exams to gain qualifications to prove that you are competent and qualified.

Would you take advice on your financial future from an unqualified individual ?

There's different ways to assess people. For instance, let's take driving and the less than one hour practical test.

What would be a better way of assessing someone's driving ability?

A. An under one hour test, doing some manoeuvres they've repeatedly practised, or

B. Fitting a black box and monitoring their driving over a year or over a number of hours? "

In most professions the answer is A&B, with an ongoing commitment to CPD. Now, if government would do the same for car drivers we might get the death rates on our roads down.

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

"We trust teachers to educate our kids, evaluate their work over the year, but not mark their work at the end of the year.

Exactly my point!

In most other areas of life an independent governance and assurance process is always considered more fair - and (in most cases!) in house governance should always be questioned! "

There is always going to be the suspicion of favouritism when the exams are marked by their own teachers.

I cant see the exam boards starting to mark mock tests though, maybe having schools paired off to mark each others mocks to give more balance.

My niece goes to an expensive private school, 6 9's and 5 8's, she ain't complaining...

» Add a new message to this topic