FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Finally some sense

Finally some sense

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *limmatureguy OP   Man  over a year ago

Tonbridge

Prof Chris Whitty has said the damage caused to children by not going to school far outweighs any potential harm from the virus. Only 10 people under 19 have died from it since March.

Perhaps this will be the start of a more sensible and less apocalyptic approach to this.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

How many people under 19 have died from drowning since March ?

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

Only 10 children...thats OK then

Maybe only 10 due to the measures taken?!

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Nudist Club Near Monmouth

Looking at it from a purely child's education verses child health point of view, given the statistics, I'd have to agree. From what I understand though, Keeping children out of school wasn't just for their safety but for the safety of others.

Like you said OP, very few children have been effected by the virus but they are believed to be non-symtomatic carriers so have the potential to infect a lot of people.

They do need to be back in school, despite the threat that they pose; vunerable people (such as some grand parents, some parents...) will have be the ones that avoid them.

It's tough either way; kids don't get educated in schools or some love ones can't be around them.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

The kids do need to go back. Its the parents/carers that need to take responsibility now with car sharing and playdates etc it will spread, we just need to be sensibly prepared for it.

Keep the vulnerable safe.

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

I agree, but I’m sure the teachers and unions will continue to come up with many reasons why they shouldn’t!

R x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It has to happen the key is to make it as safe as possible for all involved, that means the teachers as well as the pupils. The potential viral load in some of the classrooms could be huge so steps have to be taken to protect staff, I'll be interested to see what measures the government is willing to fund in order to do this.

Then of course people have to be sensible about who they allow their children to have contact with outside of school. Want to visit granny and granddad? Not sure that's going to be a good idea to be honest.

By *OWTIMESCouple  over a year ago

BLACKPOOL

Why the constant announcing of cases tested tho, if 1 in 2 have cancer then this risk is greater yet we don't get daily updates for this never mind daily cancer deaths. 99% of people recover from this deadly virus, unlike cancer, lung diseases etc etc

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"I agree, but I’m sure the teachers and unions will continue to come up with many reasons why they shouldn’t!

R x"

Are you a teacher?

"Why the constant announcing of cases tested tho, if 1 in 2 have cancer then this risk is greater yet we don't get daily updates for this never mind daily cancer deaths. 99% of people recover from this deadly virus, unlike cancer, lung diseases etc etc"

You can't catch cancer from touching a surface that someone with cancer has touched, or by breathing in droplets of their breath.

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple  over a year ago

Chester

The mixed advice has been sketchy, changes but a it's a virus not bacteria, no proof or any real scientific backing. It makes no sense vaccinating healthy people, 95% is goal when 1% will die of which are higher risk, elderly, palstive care etc

I thought we were trying to prevent the virus spreading. Who spreads it is irrelevant.

You can throw track, trace and isolate out the window if kids go back to school.

Leeds

The only way to prevent the virus spreading is to keep everyone under house arrest but this isn't a feasible permanent solution.

Tonbridge

"I thought we were trying to prevent the virus spreading. Who spreads it is irrelevant.

You can throw track, trace and isolate out the window if kids go back to school. "

1 million kids have already been going to school and in that time apparently there might have been as many as two cases where a student might have infected another student. Another 28 outbreaks involving staff with 128 infections. I think the track and tracers can stay in bed.

By *isiseCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

"How many people under 19 have died from drowning since March ?"

Good point!

"Only 10 children...thats OK then

Maybe only 10 due to the measures taken?!"

. So what ? Keep all children away from school till when exactly ? Those of you who appear to be so sure about this must clearly have an answer.

Chester

Maybe only 10 due to the measures taken?!. So what ? Keep all children away from school till when exactly ? Those of you who appear to be so sure about this must clearly have an answer."

Keep their lunch box and drink in front of them at all times problem solved

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"It has to happen the key is to make it as safe as possible for all involved, that means the teachers as well as the pupils. The potential viral load in some of the classrooms could be huge so steps have to be taken to protect staff, I'll be interested to see what measures the government is willing to fund in order to do this.

Then of course people have to be sensible about who they allow their children to have contact with outside of school. Want to visit granny and granddad? Not sure that's going to be a good idea to be honest."

Good points but to expand on a couple... "people have to be sensible" absolutely agree... I don't share your confidence that they all will. Just depends how big that minority are... The kids may very well be safe.... They aren't taught by kids though.

"what the government are prepared to fund".... I think many people are under the illusion that the money is the govts money. It isn't. It's our money. And we have to fund it. From our taxes

"I thought we were trying to prevent the virus spreading. Who spreads it is irrelevant.

You can throw track, trace and isolate out the window if kids go back to school.

1 million kids have already been going to school and in that time apparently there might have been as many as two cases where a student might have infected another student. Another 28 outbreaks involving staff with 128 infections. I think the track and tracers can stay in bed. "

It's not about the students. They don't exist in a vacuum.

Whilst some children are always schooled from home quite successfully. Some end up drowning it would seem...

Point that so many dim wits can’t get their heads around is that whether it’s the virus, crossing the road or falling down your stairs there is danger present in everything. No one is going to live forever. Nornal life has to return, or maybe some would rather stay in bed until they starved to death.

Leeds

"maybe some would rather stay in bed until they starved to death. "

They won't starve to death though. They will stay safe inside and let other people take the risk for them. The people delivering their food order. Picking it off the shelves. Processing and packaging it in factory. Working in the fields. Supplying the lorries with fuel. Etc etc.

"

Good points but to expand on a couple... "people have to be sensible" absolutely agree... I don't share your confidence that they all will. Just depends how big that minority are... The kids may very well be safe.... They aren't taught by kids though.

"what the government are prepared to fund".... I think many people are under the illusion that the money is the govts money. It isn't. It's our money. And we have to fund it. From our taxes "

I don't expect people to be sensible if I'm honest, there are a huge amount of people who toe the line with face coverings in shops and the like because they have to, and there is massive peer pressure to do so but will then eschew all safeguards that aren't mandatory. I firmly expect an upturn in cases when the schools go back.

As for government funding it's a huge and complex subject that people, and the government, try to simplify to the level of household budgeting. There is a misplaced idea that we have to balance our budget within xx amount of years etc. when in reality nearly all countries have a huge amount of debt nearly all of the time and the idea that cutting public spending is a way to counter that is a fallacy that a decade of austerity has shown to be nonsense.

The point of a government is to look after everyone, not just it's friends and donors. Tightening tax loopholes and joining with the EU to counter tax avoidance would raise far more than a penny on the pound for the low and middle earners. The issue is whether the government prioritises the people or the massive corporations and their potential lucrative post politics jobs?

Chester

It's about time The Real News is aired not this controlling media then people can move forward not living in unnecessary forced fed fear

Schools are never going to be 100% risk free no more than any other work place is for any other employee, I guess its the new normal, the kids need to go back in September, they are missing so much that just cannot be taught at home that will have a lasting effect on there lives, loads of other countries have done so so why can't we, truly pathetic.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"Why the constant announcing of cases tested tho, if 1 in 2 have cancer then this risk is greater yet we don't get daily updates for this never mind daily cancer deaths. 99% of people recover from this deadly virus, unlike cancer, lung diseases etc etc"

Ummmm... because cancer isn’t contagious?

-Matt

Barbados

"The mixed advice has been sketchy, changes but a it's a virus not bacteria, no proof or any real scientific backing. It makes no sense vaccinating healthy people, 95% is goal when 1% will die of which are higher risk, elderly, palstive care etc"

“It makes no sense vaccinating healthy people”

Read that back slowly to yourself.

-Matt

Get the kids back in school. End of....

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"The mixed advice has been sketchy, changes but a it's a virus not bacteria, no proof or any real scientific backing. It makes no sense vaccinating healthy people, 95% is goal when 1% will die of which are higher risk, elderly, palstive care etc"

Are you saying the virus is not real?

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

"Get the kids back in school. End of...."

Here here xxx

Tonbridge

1 million kids have already been going to school and in that time apparently there might have been as many as two cases where a student might have infected another student. Another 28 outbreaks involving staff with 128 infections. I think the track and tracers can stay in bed.

Whilst some children are always schooled from home quite successfully. Some end up drowning it would seem..."

If children could be successfully schooled from home then teachers wouldn't need any qualifications.

"Get the kids back in school. End of...."

A well thought out and nuanced contribution.

Barbados

A common theme is this thread and most about the virus seems to be the all-or-nothing absoluteness that people cast their view as. Eg “masks aren’t perfect so no/one should wear them” or “fewer people are dying so let’s stop everything”. Or “only a small proportion who get it actually die, so clearly it is overblown”.

The key is risk management. As pointed out everything in life carries a risk. I could get hit by a bus or struck by lightning today. But that is why I look before crossing the road and don’t go waving a brolly in the air during a lightning storm.

Yes schools need to go back. But this *will* increase the risk of further spread. And as we *still* don’t have any effective track and trace in place we can’t easily manage that risk.

-Matt

"The mixed advice has been sketchy, changes but a it's a virus not bacteria, no proof or any real scientific backing. It makes no sense vaccinating healthy people, 95% is goal when 1% will die of which are higher risk, elderly, palstive care etc

“It makes no sense vaccinating healthy people”

Read that back slowly to yourself.

-Matt"

Someone obviously doesn't know that for vaccines to truly work you have to hit a critical mass point, the more people that have the vaccine the less hosts the virus can replicate and spread to, the more likely it can be wiped out as we have done with other viral diseases and illnesses.

Theres also evidence that vaccines effects are passed along through mitochondrial DNA from the mother alongside the mothers immune system to their offspring given increased resistance to the illnesses the vaccines target.

Whilst some children are always schooled from home quite successfully. Some end up drowning it would seem...

If children could be successfully schooled from home then teachers wouldn't need any qualifications."

Yeah we would need to control our own children instead of making our inability to parent someone else's problem. There are many situations where home schooling is the only option and people do it.

Let's be honest. This has nothing to do with education. It has to do with people not wanting their kids under their feet any longer and needing somewhere to put their children now they are going back to work.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"I agree, but I’m sure the teachers and unions will continue to come up with many reasons why they shouldn’t!

R x"

Why would they do that?

Tin town

"

"what the government are prepared to fund".... I think many people are under the illusion that the money is the govts money. It isn't. It's our money. And we have to fund it. From our taxes

I don't expect people to be sensible if I'm honest, there are a huge amount of people who toe the line with face coverings in shops and the like because they have to, and there is massive peer pressure to do so but will then eschew all safeguards that aren't mandatory. I firmly expect an upturn in cases when the schools go back.

As for government funding it's a huge and complex subject that people, and the government, try to simplify to the level of household budgeting. There is a misplaced idea that we have to balance our budget within xx amount of years etc. when in reality nearly all countries have a huge amount of debt nearly all of the time and the idea that cutting public spending is a way to counter that is a fallacy that a decade of austerity has shown to be nonsense.

The point of a government is to look after everyone, not just it's friends and donors. Tightening tax loopholes and joining with the EU to counter tax avoidance would raise far more than a penny on the pound for the low and middle earners. The issue is whether the government prioritises the people or the massive corporations and their potential lucrative post politics jobs?"

Yep always easy to spend other people's money. There is no money tree. The fallacy is that you can spend money you don't have. All the money being given away now will have to be paid for by our kids....there is no free lunch. A Judicious balance is required. The last 10 years can't have been that austere if we are over 2 trn pounds in debt now.

"Prof Chris Whitty has said the damage caused to children by not going to school far outweighs any potential harm from the virus. Only 10 people under 19 have died from it since March.

Perhaps this will be the start of a more sensible and less apocalyptic approach to this."

This isn't news. This is merely highlighting one demographic while excluding its effect on others.

Cancer is non-communicable. It has no relevance here.

Do you even know what you're stating? And I guess you mean palliative care.

liverpool

"Get the kids back in school. End of....

A well thought out and nuanced contribution. "

liverpool

R x

Why would they do that? "

Because it said so in the mail

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I think he also said that the virus in schools will likely be passed from staff to staff, staff to pupil. Our school has said that neither the staff or the pupils will wear any type of face coverings.

Scotland's schools go back before ours but not soon enough to see if there are any new infections.

It's a worry but they definitely need to get back in the classroom.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

R x

Why would they do that?

Because it said so in the mail"

What’s the mail got to do with it?

If children could be successfully schooled from home then teachers wouldn't need any qualifications.

Yeah we would need to control our own children instead of making our inability to parent someone else's problem. There are many situations where home schooling is the only option and people do it.

Let's be honest. This has nothing to do with education. It has to do with people not wanting their kids under their feet any longer and needing somewhere to put their children now they are going back to work."

do you have children out of interest? Some of us are genuinely concerned about the long term affects to our children's education, we dont want them out of the way, we want them to have the best chance in life they can have, starting with a good education. They do more in school than just read books an stuff you know, there is the social side to it too which helps them to interact in this big wide world which is something they do not achieve from home school, i am sure its been proven before that children that attend nursery when they are younger do far better in school later on and in social interaction with there peers than those children who do not attend.

liverpool

"

The point of a government is to look after everyone, not just it's friends and donors. Tightening tax loopholes and joining with the EU to counter tax avoidance would raise far more than a penny on the pound for the low and middle earners. The issue is whether the government prioritises the people or the massive corporations and their potential lucrative post politics jobs?

Yep always easy to spend other people's money. There is no money tree. The fallacy is that you can spend money you don't have. All the money being given away now will have to be paid for by our kids....there is no free lunch. A Judicious balance is required. The last 10 years can't have been that austere if we are over 2 trn pounds in debt now. "

Yet there was billions available for h2

There is billions available for another pointless foreign conflict they may wish to pursue

There is billions available for trident

Your last comment proves what a con austerity was

"

Yep always easy to spend other people's money. There is no money tree. The fallacy is that you can spend money you don't have. All the money being given away now will have to be paid for by our kids....there is no free lunch. A Judicious balance is required. The last 10 years can't have been that austere if we are over 2 trn pounds in debt now. "

The point is that austerity was an ideologically driven policy designed to cripple the public sector rather than alleviate debt. Even before Covid the national debt had more than double din 10 years.

All austerity did was massively reduce the spending power of normal people while allowing rich people to make more money from exploiting the desperate.

The top 5%, or those who earn over £80,000 a year, spend far less than the bottom 95% Austerity took from the bottom 95% and gave to the top 5% thus reducing the nation's overall spending power and amount earned from direct and indirect taxation.

You do not stimulate the economy by reducing the ability to spend of those people who actually spend money.

liverpool

"

Yep always easy to spend other people's money. There is no money tree. The fallacy is that you can spend money you don't have. All the money being given away now will have to be paid for by our kids....there is no free lunch. A Judicious balance is required. The last 10 years can't have been that austere if we are over 2 trn pounds in debt now.

The point is that austerity was an ideologically driven policy designed to cripple the public sector rather than alleviate debt. Even before Covid the national debt had more than double din 10 years.

All austerity did was massively reduce the spending power of normal people while allowing rich people to make more money from exploiting the desperate.

The top 5%, or those who earn over £80,000 a year, spend far less than the bottom 95% Austerity took from the bottom 95% and gave to the top 5% thus reducing the nation's overall spending power and amount earned from direct and indirect taxation.

You do not stimulate the economy by reducing the ability to spend of those people who actually spend money."

In one.

"Point that so many dim wits can’t get their heads around is that whether it’s the virus, crossing the road or falling down your stairs there is danger present in everything. No one is going to live forever. Nornal life has to return, or maybe some would rather stay in bed until they starved to death. "

Dim wits huh, bless your cotton socks.

Strategies have to ensure transmission of virus is kept at a manageable pace until the virus goes the way of SARS or a vaccine is produced, whilst we all help to restore the economy. It doesn't have to be an either or situation.

Tin town

"I think he also said that the virus in schools will likely be passed from staff to staff, staff to pupil. Our school has said that neither the staff or the pupils will wear any type of face coverings.

Scotland's schools go back before ours but not soon enough to see if there are any new infections.

It's a worry but they definitely need to get back in the classroom. "

They do, but we need to make sure parents play a much bigger role in reducing the spread than normal schooling where many just throw them into the teachers arms and expect miracles.

My kids school have written to say all classroom Windows will remain open and so uniform will be relaxed to allow jumpers hats and gloves in class to keep pupils warm in winter....its going to be..... Interesting

By *iliciousCouple  over a year ago

South East

"

The point of a government is to look after everyone, not just it's friends and donors. Tightening tax loopholes and joining with the EU to counter tax avoidance would raise far more than a penny on the pound for the low and middle earners. The issue is whether the government prioritises the people or the massive corporations and their potential lucrative post politics jobs?"

Agree kids should go back to school.

ASAP

But one thing to think about. I work in ICU, but not an expert.

Children are renowned for being the biggest “super spreaders” of infections etc. Why not this virus?

What’s different? They will behave the same way as before and spread it. Yes only 10 have died.

Why? They’ve been isolated.

Following the logic about people at work not getting ill from Hancock last week, we will be fine. Only a few have got it at work. Why?

The majority haven’t been at bloody work.

You can’t spread if you doggy see people.

More people will die. But we need to live. To generate taxes so the government can waste it.

Northampton Somewhere

"I think he also said that the virus in schools will likely be passed from staff to staff, staff to pupil. Our school has said that neither the staff or the pupils will wear any type of face coverings.

They do, but we need to make sure parents play a much bigger role in reducing the spread than normal schooling where many just throw them into the teachers arms and expect miracles.

My kids school have written to say all classroom Windows will remain open and so uniform will be relaxed to allow jumpers hats and gloves in class to keep pupils warm in winter....its going to be..... Interesting"

Yes, we've had an email saying the measures they have put in place, staggered starts, year bubbles etc. I'll do my bit but when they are in school (1800 pupils I think) it's out of my control which makes me anxious. Luckily my two are very savvy when it comes to hand washing etc.....it when Kevin sneezes and doesn't cover his face that worries me

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

Government's Chief Medical Adviser supports governments stance - hardly a surprising story...

The surprising story is the one that says 13 to 14 year olds are less stressed now than they were this time last year!

This bloke always seems to talk a bit of sense, right from the very start.

Tin town

My kids school have written to say all classroom Windows will remain open and so uniform will be relaxed to allow jumpers hats and gloves in class to keep pupils warm in winter....its going to be..... Interesting

Yes, we've had an email saying the measures they have put in place, staggered starts, year bubbles etc. I'll do my bit but when they are in school (1800 pupils I think) it's out of my control which makes me anxious. Luckily my two are very savvy when it comes to hand washing etc.....it when Kevin sneezes and doesn't cover his face that worries me "

Indeed... Mine have said teachers will be sanitizing desks and chairs between every lesson... I bet they will be pleased about that. I'm sure Kevin will be encouraged by his class mates to do the right thing.... Pause for thought about that flash point..

Tin town

"Government's Chief Medical Adviser supports governments stance - hardly a surprising story...

The surprising story is the one that says 13 to 14 year olds are less stressed now than they were this time last year!"

Is it because no more exams?

"This bloke always seems to talk a bit of sense, right from the very start."

Infact........ Chris Witty for PM

South East

We have a 60 child “bubble” x 2 so 120 chances of them bringing it home.

Teachers moving between classrooms.

Schools have instructions to do extra deep cleaning but no extra funds to put this in place.

Schools not allowed to run “shifts”.

It’s nonsense. Of course they have to back but it should at least be run in shifts - one week or half a week about, with home learning the other half of the time. This will reduce the risk significantly and resume schooling.

The survey which says few children contract the virus is misleading - it was taken whilst schools were operating at half capacity.

Leicestershire

"Government's Chief Medical Adviser supports governments stance - hardly a surprising story...

The surprising story is the one that says 13 to 14 year olds are less stressed now than they were this time last year!

Is it because no more exams? "

Possibly, the report is a bit vague about the cause.

"This bloke always seems to talk a bit of sense, right from the very start.

Infact........ Chris Witty for PM "

You worried me, I thought you meant the OP

Tin town

"We have a 60 child “bubble” x 2 so 120 chances of them bringing it home.

Teachers moving between classrooms.

Schools have instructions to do extra deep cleaning but no extra funds to put this in place.

Schools not allowed to run “shifts”.

It’s nonsense. Of course they have to back but it should at least be run in shifts - one week or half a week about, with home learning the other half of the time. This will reduce the risk significantly and resume schooling.

The survey which says few children contract the virus is misleading - it was taken whilst schools were operating at half capacity."

That's the trouble with statistics isn't it? We can twist them anyway we want. I tend to agree that 10 kids in a classroom cf 34 kids in a classroom could tell a different story.

As yet we don't understand any longer term damage either so not entirely convinced it's as safe as some are telling for under 19s.

Northampton Somewhere

Is it because no more exams? "

What do you mean no more exams?

Northampton Somewhere

"This bloke always seems to talk a bit of sense, right from the very start."

Agreed, I've always found him very calming to listen to.

Tin town

What do you mean no more exams? "

Kids are sharing tales that they don't need exams anymore....dont panic... Its very firmly in the rumour category.

Northampton Somewhere

What do you mean no more exams?

Kids are sharing tales that they don't need exams anymore....dont panic... Its very firmly in the rumour category. "

Lol....No panic here, I'm 100% my 14 year old would of told me about that!!!

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

"Agree kids should go back to school.

ASAP

Children are renowned for being the biggest “super spreaders” of infections etc. Why not this virus?

What’s different? They will behave the same way as before and spread it. Yes only 10 have died.

Following the logic about people at work not getting ill from Hancock last week, we will be fine. Only a few have got it at work. Why?

More people will die. But we need to live. To generate taxes so the government can waste it. "

Good point

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Maybe only 10 due to the measures taken?!"

Yes it is ok things happen

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

You can throw track, trace and isolate out the window if kids go back to school. "

We are trying to cut it down it cannot be cut out

London

"Prof Chris Whitty has said the damage caused to children by not going to school far outweighs any potential harm from the virus. Only 10 people under 19 have died from it since March.

Perhaps this will be the start of a more sensible and less apocalyptic approach to this."

I’m all for the kids going back to school despite the risks involved. Their education is of vital importance.

However I don’t agree that this will be the “ start of a more sensible and less apocalyptic approach“. The measure we adopt to control the virus spread are sensible, and should continue that way until we get better treatment and / or a vaccine.

It is possible that when the kids are back in school it might increase the infection rate. But that’s why there is a hint that some other sectors of the economy may have to close temporarily to compensate for that.

We can’t go back to the old normal at this point in time, and probably not any time soon.

Tonbridge

As far as staff to staff transmission is concerned, this is managed in thousands of work places up and down the country so that work continues. No different at school.

London

"As far as staff to staff transmission is concerned, this is managed in thousands of work places up and down the country so that work continues. No different at school."

Staff to staff transmission is managed because thousands of people are still working *From Home*.

And that’s the reason some work places have not yet allowed their staff back into the office. The reason being - to reduce the risk of staff to staff transmission.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

Some firms are using subcontractors rather than take back staff off furlough for flexibility and cost. They will probably be made redundant instead when furlough ends.

I heard a bloke on the vine radio show ranting off that only 2 children had died and many kids were suffering from not being at school,including his 4 children.

I thought if 1 of them 2 kids he had mentioned was one of his...just how he would have felt.

Even so his figures will have been out, there is also the fact that many shielded people will get the job of picking the kids up from school.

Aye it's not all black and white...

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Education is essential. Everybody can potentially infect someone else, who may be a very different sort of person. The strong, young and otherwise healthy may get the virus and start a chain that could kill many, as it gets passed on. Current infection levels with low hospitalisation and death levels may be due to younger people who can fight the disease and recover. Any single 1 of them may be the portal to another level of increased problems amongst the highly vulnerable and others.

Schools should be teaching safely, for staff kids and the community, at the right time.

Tonbridge

"I heard a bloke on the vine radio show ranting off that only 2 children had died and many kids were suffering from not being at school,including his 4 children.

I thought if 1 of them 2 kids he had mentioned was one of his...just how he would have felt.

Even so his figures will have been out, there is also the fact that many shielded people will get the job of picking the kids up from school.

Aye it's not all black and white..."

Policy on this is not decided by the father of a child who died from covid, in the same way that the father of a road traffic accident victim doesn't get to ban cars.

If shielding people are collecting the kids from school then they aren't shielding, that's their choice to make.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

I have a child that is due to go back next Wednesday, I'm aware of the risks but I think it's what's best for the children, they need school, not only for education but for social skills and for their mental health. Vulnerable family members will just have to avoid them.

Tonbridge

"As far as staff to staff transmission is concerned, this is managed in thousands of work places up and down the country so that work continues. No different at school.

Staff to staff transmission is managed because thousands of people are still working *From Home*.

And that’s the reason some work places have not yet allowed their staff back into the office. The reason being - to reduce the risk of staff to staff transmission.

"

Where they can work from home fine, teachers can't, just like most of the workforce.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Far more damage from not going .., my granddaughter went back in July for a month as she was missing it so much ..,.

"I have a child that is due to go back next Wednesday, I'm aware of the risks but I think it's what's best for the children, they need school, not only for education but for social skills and for their mental health. Vulnerable family members will just have to avoid them."

Agreed.

And teachers should get proper face ppe, and wash hands regularly with virus strength hand sanitiser in between.

Dudley

"I have a child that is due to go back next Wednesday, I'm aware of the risks but I think it's what's best for the children, they need school, not only for education but for social skills and for their mental health. Vulnerable family members will just have to avoid them.

Agreed.

And teachers should get proper face ppe, and wash hands regularly with virus strength hand sanitiser in between. "

My daughters school have sanitizer stations all around the school, are providing children with any stationary they need so there will be no swapping etc, the staff are provided with face masks if they want to wear them. I honestly believe they are doing everything possible to open in as safe a way as possible.

"I have a child that is due to go back next Wednesday, I'm aware of the risks but I think it's what's best for the children, they need school, not only for education but for social skills and for their mental health. Vulnerable family members will just have to avoid them.

Agreed.

And teachers should get proper face ppe, and wash hands regularly with virus strength hand sanitiser in between. "

Not clear ^

I mean using hand sanitiser between hand washing.

Agreed.

And teachers should get proper face ppe, and wash hands regularly with virus strength hand sanitiser in between.

My daughters school have sanitizer stations all around the school, are providing children with any stationary they need so there will be no swapping etc, the staff are provided with face masks if they want to wear them. I honestly believe they are doing everything possible to open in as safe a way as possible. "

That sounds positive.

Dudley

Agreed.

My daughters school have sanitizer stations all around the school, are providing children with any stationary they need so there will be no swapping etc, the staff are provided with face masks if they want to wear them. I honestly believe they are doing everything possible to open in as safe a way as possible.

That sounds positive. "

Yeah, they are staggering lunchtimes, start and end times, the entrances children can use, so there should never be large groups of kids anywhere.

London

"As far as staff to staff transmission is concerned, this is managed in thousands of work places up and down the country so that work continues. No different at school.

Where they can work from home fine, teachers can't, just like most of the workforce."

And I didn’t say the teachers should work from home, in fact I said the kids should go back to school - implying that the teachers should go back as well otherwise how would the kids be taught ?

Just that you mentioned about staff to staff transmission in other sectors, hence why I said that issue is being managed by offices asking people to work from home.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Today's school children are already condemned to paying off the enormous national debt accrued recently, we have a duty to ensure that they are properly educated at the very least. We older people, with pre established qualifications and jobs need to keep this in mind. It's shit for us, but it's even shitter for those who might miss out on the education and qualifications we have all received the benefit of. No generation in history has had their education disrupted quite to this level. Even in WW2, schools stayed open, universities continued to teach and people acquired qualifications through the armed forces etc.

Dudley

"Today's school children are already condemned to paying off the enormous national debt accrued recently, we have a duty to ensure that they are properly educated at the very least. We older people, with pre established qualifications and jobs need to keep this in mind. It's shit for us, but it's even shitter for those who might miss out on the education and qualifications we have all received the benefit of. No generation in history has had their education disrupted quite to this level. Even in WW2, schools stayed open, universities continued to teach and people acquired qualifications through the armed forces etc. "

South East

[Removed by poster at 24/08/20 15:56:06]

South East

Where they can work from home fine, teachers can't, just like most of the workforce."

So you think that “most of the workforce” are not working at home? I somehow doubt that from what I have read.

And you think that the school as a workplace is the same as any other? Now that is definitely not the case is it? Completely different from any other actually. So a different set of risks.

Think before you post maybe?

South East

"I heard a bloke on the vine radio show ranting off that only 2 children had died and many kids were suffering from not being at school,including his 4 children.

Policy on this is not decided by the father of a child who died from covid, in the same way that the father of a road traffic accident victim doesn't get to ban cars.

If shielding people are collecting the kids from school then they aren't shielding, that's their choice to make."

————-

Or maybe not their choice to make if there is literally no one else to pick the children up?

Tonbridge

If shielding people are collecting the kids from school then they aren't shielding, that's their choice to make.

————-

Or maybe not their choice to make if there is literally no one else to pick the children up? "

Life is full of life and death choices like do drive to the supermarket to buy food, if I do I could die in a car accident, if I don't I could starve to death.

Leicestershire

"Today's school children are already condemned to paying off the enormous national debt accrued recently, we have a duty to ensure that they are properly educated at the very least. "

Paying debts incurred by previous generations is the norm.

We only finished paying for WW2 14 years ago and WW1 6 years ago.

Dudley

————-

Or maybe not their choice to make if there is literally no one else to pick the children up? "

Child minder, another parent, a friend, ask employer for a workaround, alot of companies would be willing to help out in these circumstances. Putting a vulnerable person at risk shouldn't be an option at all.

North West

"Today's school children are already condemned to paying off the enormous national debt accrued recently, we have a duty to ensure that they are properly educated at the very least.

We only finished paying for WW2 14 years ago and WW1 6 years ago."

Yes, I know, but at least every prior generation had access to free compulsory education, and don't get me started on free uni/grants from yesteryear. We have to provide solid education to today's children - the decision makers in this world have all benefitted from the best education in the world, FFS.

"As far as staff to staff transmission is concerned, this is managed in thousands of work places up and down the country so that work continues. No different at school."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/24/seventeen-teachers-at-dundee-school-contract-covid-19?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1598261793

North West

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/24/seventeen-teachers-at-dundee-school-contract-covid-19?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1598261793"

I don't know the specific focus of the special needs school where this has happened, but schools with that specialism are not representative of the majority. This will be a school where many or all of the pupils require personal care assistance, physical assistance to move around and access their education and so there will be much closer contact between teachers and pupils and teachers and other staff.

I'm a teacher and can't remember the last time I physically touched a young person. I think it was to give first aid a couple of years ago. Teachers in special schools are likely to physically come into contact with pupils every day.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Agree kids should go back to school.

ASAP

More people will die. But we need to live. To generate taxes so the government can waste it. "

Younger children have far fewer ACE2 receptors which this virus need to latch onto in order to infect cells.

We do need to generate taxes for government to waste... it all goes on unnecessary things such as the provision of healthcare services

We have to manage risks but risks can not be eliminated.

By *iventake84Man  over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 25/08/20 08:36:35]

By *iventake84Man  over a year ago

Manchester

" Some of us are genuinely concerned about the long term affects to our children's education, we dont want them out of the way, we want them to have the best chance in life they can have, starting with a good education. They do more in school than just read books an stuff you know, there is the social side to it too which helps them to interact in this big wide world which is something they do not achieve from home school, i am sure its been proven before that children that attend nursery when they are younger do far better in school later on and in social interaction with there peers than those children who do not attend."

Absolutely agree.

Even more so at primary school.

School is about so much more than the traditional subject related learning.

What children have sadly missed out on is vital personal and social skills and experience - independence, routine, regulating emotions, peer to peer influencing and inspiration.

There isn't an easy solution to this so it's just about weighing up the pros and cons and aggreeing on the most important needs.

R x

Why would they do that? "

Sadly because they can....mostly for political point scoring.

(Ex teacher btw)

liverpool

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/24/seventeen-teachers-at-dundee-school-contract-covid-19?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1598261793"

But power hungry unions.. and lazy teachers.. and boris said they had a moral duty to go back (as if he had any concept of the word)etc etc

Leicestershire

"Today's school children are already condemned to paying off the enormous national debt accrued recently, we have a duty to ensure that they are properly educated at the very least.

We only finished paying for WW2 14 years ago and WW1 6 years ago.

Yes, I know, but at least every prior generation had access to free compulsory education, and don't get me started on free uni/grants from yesteryear. We have to provide solid education to today's children - the decision makers in this world have all benefitted from the best education in the world, FFS. "

I didn't say education was unimportant did I?

Tin town

" Some of us are genuinely concerned about the long term affects to our children's education, we dont want them out of the way, we want them to have the best chance in life they can have, starting with a good education. They do more in school than just read books an stuff you know, there is the social side to it too which helps them to interact in this big wide world which is something they do not achieve from home school, i am sure its been proven before that children that attend nursery when they are younger do far better in school later on and in social interaction with there peers than those children who do not attend.

Absolutely agree.

What children have sadly missed out on is vital personal and social skills and experience - independence, routine, regulating emotions, peer to peer influencing and inspiration.

There isn't an easy solution to this so it's just about weighing up the pros and cons and aggreeing on the most important needs. "

Firstly... Yes it's a challenge, but we may have to find creative ways to make it effective and it may require parents to be more involved than previously. But to speak specifically about the social aspects of school interactions....all the kids I know, see, are in my street have been socialising perfectly fine for over 2 months now... I'm agreeing school is important... But for those stressing the social development skills... Why aren't they being developed as kids are socialising anyway... All day.... Its been great to see posses of kids hooking up together and having a great time.

Definitely need to go back sick of the school ringing up asking why the work hasn't been completed.

North West

Our daughter (3) has been back at day nursery since June. Each room of children and staff form a bubble. Apart from the lack of some harder to clean toys now, nothing much has changed for her. She and her friends hug and kiss each other; the staff hold their hands and hug them if they are sad. They are playing together socially etc. And everything has been absolutely fine (yes, I know this doesn't mean all day nurseries are Covid free). The damage to her social and cogno development by trying to force her to stay away from friends, not to play with the same toys etc would be appalling. I'd rather one of us quit work and she stopped attending rather than trying to force social distancing on 3yos.

Primary age children should still be allowed to play socially with each other - none of this "stay in your chalk marked area" and playing alone.

Dudley

" Some of us are genuinely concerned about the long term affects to our children's education, we dont want them out of the way, we want them to have the best chance in life they can have, starting with a good education. They do more in school than just read books an stuff you know, there is the social side to it too which helps them to interact in this big wide world which is something they do not achieve from home school, i am sure its been proven before that children that attend nursery when they are younger do far better in school later on and in social interaction with there peers than those children who do not attend.

Absolutely agree.

There isn't an easy solution to this so it's just about weighing up the pros and cons and aggreeing on the most important needs.

Firstly... Yes it's a challenge, but we may have to find creative ways to make it effective and it may require parents to be more involved than previously. But to speak specifically about the social aspects of school interactions....all the kids I know, see, are in my street have been socialising perfectly fine for over 2 months now... I'm agreeing school is important... But for those stressing the social development skills... Why aren't they being developed as kids are socialising anyway... All day.... Its been great to see posses of kids hooking up together and having a great time. "

My daughter hasn't seen her friends since lockdown started, she speaks to them via voice chat but has not seen any of the physically.

Tonbridge

I'm hoping for some more statements from the government along the same lines of 'The damage caused by not doing (insert banned activity) far outweighs any potential harm from the virus.'

I remember when the idea was to flatten the curve. It is now flatter than flat with about ten deaths a day. The ICU is twiddling its thumbs whilst the economy goes down the tubes.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Our kids been at school the whole time (not the holidays) we worked be on holiday to the pub and meals out time to get on with our life there very little need for the lockdown but hindsight is a wonderful thing maybe just keep vulnerable people shielding..

Had a friend have the breast cancer treatment deferred for 8 weeks now looks like going lose both her breasts would 8 weeks make a difference i do not know not a doc but can not of helped.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

When you think of the difference in basic hygiene from 6 months ago, we should be proud of ourselves.

Of course the idiots will make us angry and we'll pontificate all the rights and wrongs.

But maybe, just maybe this marked increase in basic hygiene may slow the transmission of seasonal virus.

Once they get back to school, the kids will show us all how it's done, they will revel in the responsibility of helping others.

It's only when you get old and grumpy you start to believe only you can be right.

Here's to the kids showing us how to behave....maybe not teenagers though..

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"When you think of the difference in basic hygiene from 6 months ago, we should be proud of ourselves.

Of course the idiots will make us angry and we'll pontificate all the rights and wrongs.

But maybe, just maybe this marked increase in basic hygiene may slow the transmission of seasonal virus.

Once they get back to school, the kids will show us all how it's done, they will revel in the responsibility of helping others.

It's only when you get old and grumpy you start to believe only you can be right.

Here's to the kids showing us how to behave....maybe not teenagers though.. "

Tin town

"When you think of the difference in basic hygiene from 6 months ago, we should be proud of ourselves.

Here's to the kids showing us how to behave....maybe not teenagers though.. "

Good thinking

By *astyEricMan  over a year ago

Hull

There is more deaths daily from, aids, malaria, starvation, cancer so why the fuck we concentrating on covid 19?

"There is more deaths daily from, aids, malaria, starvation, cancer so why the fuck we concentrating on covid 19? "

If you have to ask after all this time it's pointless trying to explain to you

"There is more deaths daily from, aids, malaria, starvation, cancer so why the fuck we concentrating on covid 19? "

It is v strange that we're concentrating on Covid during a Covid pandemic.

Hull

"There is more deaths daily from, aids, malaria, starvation, cancer so why the fuck we concentrating on covid 19?

It is v strange that we're concentrating on Covid during a Covid pandemic."

Oh wait World hunger last for years nobody concentrating on it?

"There is more deaths daily from, aids, malaria, starvation, cancer so why the fuck we concentrating on covid 19?

Oh wait World hunger last for years nobody concentrating on it? "

This is certainly interesting logic.

in Lancashire

How many of the deaths you refer to except cancer have happened locally you this year?

Btw cancer is not contagious, nor malaria or starvation I think..

Happy for you to correct me..

in Lancashire

Oh wait World hunger last for years nobody concentrating on it? "

Using your own logic if someone broke your nose then you broke an arm, would someone saying why the fuck are you worried about a broken arm be spot on..?

Hull

If you have to ask after all this time it's pointless trying to explain to you "

Explain what exactly? That govermants scaring people with virus not as deadly as they fought, and ignoring other things, like stop hunger, stop poverty stop cancer, ohh wait if you do that there will be less people with underlying conditions, therefore less desths from covid19, and BTW do you know how many people die from respiratory problems and how many of them are accounted as covid 19, surprising that there is much less people which died of pneumonia for example this year than any other year, wonder why is that, but then again nobady testing dead, so we can just assume they die of covid

Explain what exactly? That govermants scaring people with virus not as deadly as they fought, and ignoring other things, like stop hunger, stop poverty stop cancer, ohh wait if you do that there will be less people with underlying conditions, therefore less desths from covid19, and BTW do you know how many people die from respiratory problems and how many of them are accounted as covid 19, surprising that there is much less people which died of pneumonia for example this year than any other year, wonder why is that, but then again nobady testing dead, so we can just assume they die of covid "

Do you really think the world would have taken such major steps for a virus that wasn't dangerous? Are you suggesting it's all some vast conspiracy theory? (I hope you're not.)

By *uzzy349Man  over a year ago

Currie

Well said.

By *incent Vega87Man  over a year ago

Dundee

They're already back here. Third week they've been in. We shall see what happens.

By *on12xxMan  over a year ago

leeds

Not talking sense m.

When child takes virus home to vulnable parents or grand parents

REALLY SENSIBLE

Explain what exactly? That govermants scaring people with virus not as deadly as they fought, and ignoring other things, like stop hunger, stop poverty stop cancer, ohh wait if you do that there will be less people with underlying conditions, therefore less desths from covid19, and BTW do you know how many people die from respiratory problems and how many of them are accounted as covid 19, surprising that there is much less people which died of pneumonia for example this year than any other year, wonder why is that, but then again nobady testing dead, so we can just assume they die of covid "

Wake up peoples

Well over 40000 died from a infectious disease just in the UK in 8 month's...and we have winter to look forward to.

And all the other thing you have mentioned will be still happening on top of this

leeds

Is you go to school as your seem lacking intelligence

Hull

How many of the deaths you refer to except cancer have happened locally you this year?

"

Granted they not contagious, but let's go by numbers today's deaths

Covid 2839

Starvation 23666

Flu 1068

Children under5 16106

Aids 3562

Cancer 17422

Cancer 2081

Smoking 10612

Alkohol 5300

Out them only aids is contagious and still kills more people

Hull

Covid 2839

Starvation 23666

Flu 1068

Children under5 16106

Aids 3562

Cancer 17422

Cancer 2081

Smoking 10612

Alkohol 5300

Out them only aids is contagious and still kills more people "

Second cancer is malaria

By *ensualguy70TV/TS  over a year ago

Renfrew

At last people wakening up as to whats going on, yes the media dont go on about Cancer death rates or car crash death rates or any other death rate sither than Covid, because that programming of all of a sudden we have to isolate to stop cancers spreading, or car crashes happening or whatever, because people would be saying huh why now?

So to get the fearmongering going to slowly change the way we live, you kno,,, the NEW Normal, lets get a new virus or the hoax of a virus going, get it going worldwide, yes thats it that will get the minions to conform, but now they realise its out of control, oh the economy is suffering, ok back to work, oops nope COVID is spreading stop work, no we cant do that, ok keep the economy going get them to wear masks, nope we said that didnt work at the beginning, hmm keep it going they will conform. Then it was HEAT kills Covid, now they say Heat will now spread it,

NOw we should get a say in whether we wish to wear a mask or not, they say protect the NHS, hmmm hang on im paying into that system ill use it when i se fit that is what its there for, hospitals inundated???? nah they have time to do Tik Tok videos matey they have time on their hands. Now the Police force, you dont see them running away from people do you, god no they have fines to dish out, Jesus we cant have the Judicial system suffering and loosing money hand over fist can we, when did you hear of any police officers catching covid????

Then im questioned why im not wearing a mask, im exempt thats why, why are you exempt? they ask, its not for me to divulge my reasons and the law states i dont have to justify why im exempt, but no you want to overrule that law, just like the police do stopping motorists from travelling when COVID 19 legislation doesnt allow them to stop a motor vehicle to question the reason for the journey, but the courts must have their cash and so these morons in uniform make their own laws to do that.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Dementia is the UK's biggest killer by far.

Covid 2839

Starvation 23666

Flu 1068

Children under5 16106

Aids 3562

Cancer 17422

Cancer 2081

Smoking 10612

Alkohol 5300

I suspect the number of Covid deaths today would be slightly higher if the world hadn't taken such a huge effort to combat it. Just a thought.

Leicestershire

"At last people wakening up as to whats going on, yes the media dont go on about Cancer death rates or car crash death rates or any other death rate sither than Covid, because that programming of all of a sudden we have to isolate to stop cancers spreading, or car crashes happening or whatever, because people would be saying huh why now?

So to get the fearmongering going to slowly change the way we live, you kno,,, the NEW Normal, lets get a new virus or the hoax of a virus going, get it going worldwide, yes thats it that will get the minions to conform, but now they realise its out of control, oh the economy is suffering, ok back to work, oops nope COVID is spreading stop work, no we cant do that, ok keep the economy going get them to wear masks, nope we said that didnt work at the beginning, hmm keep it going they will conform. Then it was HEAT kills Covid, now they say Heat will now spread it,

NOw we should get a say in whether we wish to wear a mask or not, they say protect the NHS, hmmm hang on im paying into that system ill use it when i se fit that is what its there for, hospitals inundated???? nah they have time to do Tik Tok videos matey they have time on their hands. Now the Police force, you dont see them running away from people do you, god no they have fines to dish out, Jesus we cant have the Judicial system suffering and loosing money hand over fist can we, when did you hear of any police officers catching covid????

Then im questioned why im not wearing a mask, im exempt thats why, why are you exempt? they ask, its not for me to divulge my reasons and the law states i dont have to justify why im exempt, but no you want to overrule that law, just like the police do stopping motorists from travelling when COVID 19 legislation doesnt allow them to stop a motor vehicle to question the reason for the journey, but the courts must have their cash and so these morons in uniform make their own laws to do that.

"

Yoh ever considered just boring us to death with one tinhat theory at a time?

So kids go back to school and get infected and spread it amongst themselves but let's say 99.9% will recover which is good but on the other hand they will spread it to others who may not be so lucky. Imagine a school of say 500 kids get infected and go off and infect thousands, not really the smartest thing to do. So maybe kids leave school a year later, better than the alternative.

", just like the police do stopping motorists from travelling when COVID 19 legislation doesnt allow them to stop a motor vehicle to question the reason for the journey, but the courts must have their cash and so these morons in uniform make their own laws to do that.

"

The Law actually does allow the Police to stop ANY vehicle without having a stated reason.

They can also stop and ask you reasonable questions about why you are in the area where you are going etc etc.

Of course you can not stop your car and be arrested for doing so.

You can refuse to answer questions and they can arrest you to a police station to have you answer them.

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

"At last people wakening up as to whats going on, yes the media dont go on about Cancer death rates or car crash death rates or any other death rate sither than Covid, because that programming of all of a sudden we have to isolate to stop cancers spreading, or car crashes happening or whatever, because people would be saying huh why now?

Yoh ever considered just boring us to death with one tinhat theory at a time?"

Try reading it aloud with one breath if you want to appreciate it in all its glory.

Try reading it aloud with one breath if you want to appreciate it in all its glory."

Just tried that. The world went all hazy and I woke up on the floor.

A shop can refuse you entry for not wearing a mask - they have no right to ask you why you are not but they have the total right to refuse entry with having to give a reason.

Leicestershire

"Try reading it aloud with one breath if you want to appreciate it in all its glory."

I suspect you're supposed to do it that way to stop the lizard people from inserting hidden messages between the words...

Hull

I never said that virus is a hoax, but media giving it more scary face than it is, obviously it's my opinion, still adhering to gov guidelines but it just meke me think if not for Internet and media that virus would be much less deadly, in eyes of public. Of course I can have covid and be asymptomatic therefore it's a good practise to wear face mask etc... But still makes me wonder is it that deadly?

"A shop can refuse you entry for not wearing a mask - they have no right to ask you why you are not but they have the total right to refuse entry with having to give a reason."

Actually scratch that 'a shop worker can ask you why not' You don't have to answer however. The shop worker can refuse you entry for ANY reason except Race or Gender.

Hull

[Removed by poster at 25/08/20 18:56:38]

North West

"A shop can refuse you entry for not wearing a mask - they have no right to ask you why you are not but they have the total right to refuse entry with having to give a reason.

Actually scratch that 'a shop worker can ask you why not' You don't have to answer however. The shop worker can refuse you entry for ANY reason except Race or Gender."

Surely they cannot exclude you based on any protected characteristic within the Equalities Act 2010? That's when it gets a bit challenging when you arrive somewhere by wheelchair and you can't get in

Hull

"A shop can refuse you entry for not wearing a mask - they have no right to ask you why you are not but they have the total right to refuse entry with having to give a reason."

Shop have right to refuse you entry or service without giving reason,

"I never said that virus is a hoax, but media giving it more scary face than it is, obviously it's my opinion, still adhering to gov guidelines but it just meke me think if not for Internet and media that virus would be much less deadly, in eyes of public. Of course I can have covid and be asymptomatic therefore it's a good practise to wear face mask etc... But still makes me wonder is it that deadly? "

Is it that deadly? It is if it kills you.

(Just look up the facts for yourself, if you're really curious.)

"A shop can refuse you entry for not wearing a mask - they have no right to ask you why you are not but they have the total right to refuse entry with having to give a reason.

Actually scratch that 'a shop worker can ask you why not' You don't have to answer however. The shop worker can refuse you entry for ANY reason except Race or Gender.

Surely they cannot exclude you based on any protected characteristic within the Equalities Act 2010? That's when it gets a bit challenging when you arrive somewhere by wheelchair and you can't get in "

Yes of course. Hit return before I typed it.

Hull

"I never said that virus is a hoax, but media giving it more scary face than it is, obviously it's my opinion, still adhering to gov guidelines but it just meke me think if not for Internet and media that virus would be much less deadly, in eyes of public. Of course I can have covid and be asymptomatic therefore it's a good practise to wear face mask etc... But still makes me wonder is it that deadly?

Is it that deadly? It is if it kills you.

(Just look up the facts for yourself, if you're really curious.)"

Well I did, I had it and I'm alive. What's your point?

Shop have right to refuse you entry or service without giving reason, "

My 'with' should have read 'without' lol

That is why I think sweden have done the right thing by having the schools open all the time, it will show further down the line that their model have been what everyone countrt should have done

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"That is why I think sweden have done the right thing by having the schools open all the time, it will show further down the line that their model have been what everyone countrt should have done "

But norway denmark and finland all had death rates at least 10 times lower than sweden. Sweden mucked things even its own government had admitted it. They should never be held up as a paragon of virtue. South korea and germany handled things so much better.

"That is why I think sweden have done the right thing by having the schools open all the time, it will show further down the line that their model have been what everyone countrt should have done

But norway denmark and finland all had death rates at least 10 times lower than sweden. Sweden mucked things even its own government had admitted it. They should never be held up as a paragon of virtue. South korea and germany handled things so much better."

Yes they did, but what I liked and what they did was to have it as business as usual which is the best thing to do as well.

leeds

Is you go to school as your seem lacking intelligence

"That is why I think sweden have done the right thing by having the schools open all the time, it will show further down the line that their model have been what everyone countrt should have done

But norway denmark and finland all had death rates at least 10 times lower than sweden. Sweden mucked things even its own government had admitted it. They should never be held up as a paragon of virtue. South korea and germany handled things so much better.Yes they did, but what I liked and what they did was to have it as business as usual which is the best thing to do as well."

The kids and all the others started the new school term last week

Is you go to school as your seem lacking intelligence"

Pot/kettle

Covid 2839

Starvation 23666

Flu 1068

Children under5 16106

Aids 3562

Cancer 17422

Cancer 2081

Smoking 10612

Alkohol 5300

Really? Have a rethink

Covid 2839

Starvation 23666

Flu 1068

Children under5 16106

Aids 3562

Cancer 17422

Cancer 2081

Smoking 10612

Alkohol 5300

Out them only aids is contagious and still kills more people

Second cancer is malaria"

Wtf?

But norway denmark and finland all had death rates at least 10 times lower than sweden. Sweden mucked things even its own government had admitted it. They should never be held up as a paragon of virtue. South korea and germany handled things so much better.Yes they did, but what I liked and what they did was to have it as business as usual which is the best thing to do as well."

Are you saying we shouldn't have had lockdown?

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

", just like the police do stopping motorists from travelling when COVID 19 legislation doesnt allow them to stop a motor vehicle to question the reason for the journey, but the courts must have their cash and so these morons in uniform make their own laws to do that.

The Law actually does allow the Police to stop ANY vehicle without having a stated reason.

They can also stop and ask you reasonable questions about why you are in the area where you are going etc etc.

You can refuse to answer questions and they can arrest you to a police station to have you answer them.

"

The police cannot arrest you for failing to answer questions about where you're going lol.

They can arrest you if you're driving, or suspected to have committed an arrestable offence if you refuse to give your name and address. You're perfectly within your rights to refuse to answer any other questions. You only have to give your name for those specific reasons. Walking down the street and being stopped randomly you are under no obligation to reveal your name and address or any other information.

If you're not going to answer questions in the street, why are you going to answer them at the station (usually with a solicitor telling you to answer no comment) They will not arrest you simply for not answering questions as that would be an unlawful arrest.

London

"That is why I think sweden have done the right thing by having the schools open all the time, it will show further down the line that their model have been what everyone countrt should have done "

**"..that their model (Sweden) have been what everyone countrt should have done.."**

-------------

Quite the opposite. Even their top epidemiologist regrets the decision Sweden took.

Due to not locking down they have the highest death rate in Scandinavia compared to their neighbours who locked down.

It didn't help their economy either. Their Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson recently warned that Sweden is facing its worst economic crisis since World War II.

They have also seen a rise in unemployment since March due to Covid.

Their unemployment rate remains the highest in Scandinavia and the Nordics.

By not locking down, both their death rate and unemployment rates are now higher than the other Nordic / Scandinavian countries who chose to lockdown.

Sweden's model was *not* the one to follow.

But norway denmark and finland all had death rates at least 10 times lower than sweden. Sweden mucked things even its own government had admitted it. They should never be held up as a paragon of virtue. South korea and germany handled things so much better.Yes they did, but what I liked and what they did was to have it as business as usual which is the best thing to do as well.

Are you saying we shouldn't have had lockdown? "

Both yes and no. I dont really believe it is as bad as it really is, so less of a lockdown but not as strict.

London

**"...what they did was to have it as business as usual which is the best thing to do as well..."**

----------------

Business as usual was not the best thing to do.

While businesses remained open compared to other parts of Europe, plenty of Swedes still chose to stay away from shops, restaurants and gyms. As a result of people staying away from such businesses due to fear of catching the virus, it cause some of those business and their economy much damage. Businesses in Sweden have had to close or go under as a result of that. This partly explains why they have seen a surge in unemployment since March this year. Currently they have a higher unemployment rate then their neighbours who locked down.

Having "business as usual" does not guarantee that those business would be patronise; certianly not in the middle of a virus pandemic.

Tin town

Explain what exactly? That govermants scaring people with virus not as deadly as they fought, and ignoring other things, like stop hunger, stop poverty stop cancer, ohh wait if you do that there will be less people with underlying conditions, therefore less desths from covid19, and BTW do you know how many people die from respiratory problems and how many of them are accounted as covid 19, surprising that there is much less people which died of pneumonia for example this year than any other year, wonder why is that, but then again nobady testing dead, so we can just assume they die of covid

Wake up peoples "

Yes indeed wake up sheeple...!

Leicestershire

So the government are frightening us into accepting lockdown so they can do what exactly?

"Point that so many dim wits can’t get their heads around is that whether it’s the virus, crossing the road or falling down your stairs there is danger present in everything. No one is going to live forever. Nornal life has to return, or maybe some would rather stay in bed until they starved to death. "

But norway denmark and finland all had death rates at least 10 times lower than sweden. Sweden mucked things even its own government had admitted it. They should never be held up as a paragon of virtue. South korea and germany handled things so much better.Yes they did, but what I liked and what they did was to have it as business as usual which is the best thing to do as well.

Are you saying we shouldn't have had lockdown? Both yes and no. I dont really believe it is as bad as it really is, so less of a lockdown but not as strict."

So you would have liked to see the NHS under pressure, the Nightingale hospitals used to full capacity and more deaths?

We did not have a hard (strict) lockdown!

So the government are frightening us into accepting lockdown so they can do what exactly?"

Lockdown is pretty much over so what is your problem?

By *ndrew CareyMan  over a year ago

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire & Lincolnshire

What about the teachers and their families? Or do they not matter?

By *reemindCoolMan  over a year ago

between Barnsley and Wakefield

i bet the families of the Ten are Really pleased to here that

Must be really comforting to know when you have just lost a child.

there a when it does not effect you it does not count its just a statistic,

not to mention how many older people who they may pass it on too.

just a thought

Leicestershire

So the government are frightening us into accepting lockdown so they can do what exactly?

Lockdown is pretty much over so what is your problem? "

I don't have a problem - I was asking the poster I'd quoted...

Are you saying we shouldn't have had lockdown? Both yes and no. I dont really believe it is as bad as it really is, so less of a lockdown but not as strict.

So you would have liked to see the NHS under pressure, the Nightingale hospitals used to full capacity and more deaths?

We did not have a hard (strict) lockdown! "

That is right we didnt have that and no I dont want that for the nhs. I was as well comparing to the other countries what types of lockdowns they had and some hard more than others.

Are you saying we shouldn't have had lockdown? Both yes and no. I dont really believe it is as bad as it really is, so less of a lockdown but not as strict.

We did not have a hard (strict) lockdown! That is right we didnt have that and no I dont want that for the nhs. I was as well comparing to the other countries what types of lockdowns they had and some hard more than others."

Some had more than others*

Renfrew

"

What law?

Renfrew

Yoh ever considered just boring us to death with one tinhat theory at a time?"

tinhat theory, and who is the one wearing the mask??????

tinhat theory, and who is the one wearing the mask??????"

Those of us,not exempt, who are considerate of others in shops in the community when social distancing is less than 2m.

What law?"

https://www.gov.uk/stopped-by-police-while-driving-your-rights

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

"How many people under 19 have died from drowning since March ?

Good point!"

In wwhat way is that a good point? We have a well established strategy for mitigating the risk of drowning that encompasses training, adice and prevention. We know how to do this, and how to keep the number of deaths down. I swear, some people on here appear blissfully unaware of what goes on around them until they feel the need to hav an opinion.

By *reat me rightWoman  over a year ago

Rotherham

Let's be honest. This has nothing to do with education. It has to do with people not wanting their kids under their feet any longer and needing somewhere to put their children now they are going back to work."

I do hope that some of this was ironic.

I'm a lone parent and have ensured that my daughter did everything school sent and more besides. I'm wanting her to go back to school for her benefits (education, peer group interaction, her own mental health). Shes struggled with this (I'm sure she isnt the only child) and I'd much rather keep her with me to "protect" her as much as possible but, simply - she NEEDS to be back. Bet I get the packed lunch I'll be sending every day wrong though!

And it's done