FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Going back to the office

Going back to the office

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ikeC81 OP   Man  over a year ago

harrow

I am thinking after coming back from my holidays in 2 weeks I might pop in to the office for a couple of days. Why I need social interaction with real people.

Being at home for 6 months sounds great. It really isn’t lol. I miss the office banter, I miss the ability to rant, I miss the ability to interact with others. I am wondering how I will use my commute as I have been using the 1st hour to catch up on things

So it’s a conversation I may have to have to work out how my return to office is going to work

What’s other peoples thoughts

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I personally wouldn't if you can stay at home do so. It's much more environmentally friendly. I do work from home all the time and have done so for the past 8 years or so and I have got very used to it.

I vent my frustration a few times a week with my mates down at the tennis club so get my social fix from there.

The polar bears and penguins will have Covid 19 for making us realise there is another way to work without blasting CO2 into the air day after day on our daily commute.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I do two weeks at home and two weeks in the office at the moment works well.

I would rather go back in full time but work are not happy about that at the moment. Probably January.

By *racy_JacksWoman  over a year ago

Derby

I had to go in last week for one day, and another this Friday. Then from October probably one day a week. It was really nice getting back in

I’ve always worked from home quite a bit, but this is something else. I’m a bit less productive and I just really miss the people I work with. I also usually walk in so I’ve been having to make an effort to make up my miles

I live alone so I make sure I do something social a few times a week. But a big plus point is that it’s easier to do that on week nights now!

The CBI is warning that city centres will become like ghost towns.

I know it's sad but this was needed when you really really think about it. It must be so much better for the environment for us not to be doing the daily commute every day.

In time the life may grow back into small suburb towns like where I live with small shops opening nearer to where people actually live that provide goods and services for the former office workers.

This could be the silver lining that Greta Thunberg and all the other tree huggers wanted.

By *rumpet and ScouseCouple  over a year ago

Chorley

I dont want to go back to the office I just ring them and vent ... it maybe a different story when the kids go back to school

Working from home if you can is fine if you have the room. Working from home when you live alone in a one bedroom flat, maybe not so great.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Working from home if you can is fine if you have the room. Working from home when you live alone in a one bedroom flat, maybe not so great."

A lot of people can't comprehend this

"The CBI is warning that city centres will become like ghost towns.

I know it's sad but this was needed when you really really think about it. It must be so much better for the environment for us not to be doing the daily commute every day.

In time the life may grow back into small suburb towns like where I live with small shops opening nearer to where people actually live that provide goods and services for the former office workers.

This could be the silver lining that Greta Thunberg and all the other tree huggers wanted.

"

The Black Death is thought to have been the root of the industrial revolution. Perhaps some Tefal headed tree hugger in a lab in Wuhan saw all the videos of Greenlands icebergs crashing into the sea and wondered if they could come up with a way to stop the madness that was going on in the world and create the ingredients for a second industrial revolution.

Sorry I am going off on one LOL. Nearly the weekend and I am doing too much philosophical for my own good.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

All back, Boris says it's safe.

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

We have voted to remain working from home with a smaller office for teams to use on a rota once a week or so... I’m loving working from home ... Less expense on fuel has meant I could get a nice big V8 to enjoy too rather than some commute friendly pos

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"

There are hundreds of thousands of people that have come to rely on office working.

Think coffee shops, sandwich shops, office cleaners, office suppliers, taxis etc... the list is endless.

Without a thriving office culture, many small businesses are going to go to the wall. Less workers equals less tax take.

Thats why the Goverment is keen to get many more people to return.

There are hundreds of thousands of people that have come to rely on office working.

Think coffee shops, sandwich shops, office cleaners, office suppliers, taxis etc... the list is endless.

Without a thriving office culture, many small businesses are going to go to the wall. Less workers equals less tax take.

Thats why the Goverment is keen to get many more people to return. "

Good point

By *ustKeepSwinging999Couple  over a year ago

Basingstoke

We've been back open for a while, and are encouraging everyone to do at least one day a week in the office. Everyone who's been in has admitted it's great for their mental well being.

Discretion is still offered for those with childcare concerns, medical conditions or those who use public transport for their commute. Other than that, pressure is definitely being applied to get people back in.

Long term it will definitely be a blended balance of home Vs office, but the company has stated it will never fully be home working.

The roads are definitely busier each day, as are the queues in the local Sandwich shopswtc at lunchtimes. Would hate to see some of our local businesses forced to close because not enough people are able to support them.

By *ikeC81 OP   Man  over a year ago

harrow

"We've been back open for a while, and are encouraging everyone to do at least one day a week in the office. Everyone who's been in has admitted it's great for their mental well being.

Discretion is still offered for those with childcare concerns, medical conditions or those who use public transport for their commute. Other than that, pressure is definitely being applied to get people back in.

Long term it will definitely be a blended balance of home Vs office, but the company has stated it will never fully be home working.

The roads are definitely busier each day, as are the queues in the local Sandwich shopswtc at lunchtimes. Would hate to see some of our local businesses forced to close because not enough people are able to support them."

I use public transport for the office And we have hot desks so doubt we will be going anytime soon

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

Hot desking was in place with 8:10 before covid. So my area not going back in til Jan.

I couod have a desk n chair and monitors provided but i do not have the room. Tablet at my dining table is ok. Not great. But im fed up with work being in my space now.

By *iguy for funMan  over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

aside from shielding for health purposes think it depends on whether you commute or not and how or long/far that commute is. i returned to office mid july and do 5 days a week but to be fair i live about 699 yds away. ive yet to speak to anyone who has returned who doesn't love it - few want to do 5 days a week. parents love coming in to get away from their kids

By *om girlCouple (FF)  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

The government and country lossing to much money with people stopping at home

So in the next few weeks they will tell you its ok and nothing to worry about

By *ovegames42Man  over a year ago

london

"

Is Greta going to help the countless Buisness that count on office workers going under.

The Black Death is thought to have been the root of the industrial revolution. Perhaps some Tefal headed tree hugger in a lab in Wuhan saw all the videos of Greenlands icebergs crashing into the sea and wondered if they could come up with a way to stop the madness that was going on in the world and create the ingredients for a second industrial revolution.

Sorry I am going off on one LOL. Nearly the weekend and I am doing too much philosophical for my own good."

Your sentiment and China theory sounds great (if a little dubious)

Your history is a bit out tho....industrial revolution 18th-19th century driven mostly by coal and cas iron.

Black death/plague 100s of years prior to that.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Is Greta going to help the countless Buisness that count on office workers going under."

Us Engineers have a saying.... You don't solve one problem by creating another problem!

If the way of working in the future is going to be different, then it needs a lot of informed debate on the possible ways forward.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I am thinking after coming back from my holidays in 2 weeks I might pop in to the office for a couple of days. Why I need social interaction with real people.

Being at home for 6 months sounds great. It really isn’t lol. I miss the office banter, I miss the ability to rant, I miss the ability to interact with others. I am wondering how I will use my commute as I have been using the 1st hour to catch up on things

So it’s a conversation I may have to have to work out how my return to office is going to work

What’s other peoples thoughts "

I am amazed that so many are reluctant to go back to the office to be honest

"I am thinking after coming back from my holidays in 2 weeks I might pop in to the office for a couple of days. Why I need social interaction with real people.

What’s other peoples thoughts I am amazed that so many are reluctant to go back to the office to be honest"

I am more productive at home. Less distractions, longer sleep, more time with family. All work is complete. I have no major benefit of going to an office sitting on a late train both ways. Saving 2 or so hours of my day in total.

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

Thats why the Goverment is keen to get many more people to return. "

So you're arguing that we should all work less effectively, and commute for much longer, so taxi drivers and sandwich shop owners can make a living?

I need a better argument than that. Want to sell me a sandwich? Bring it to where I am. Arguing that I should do a long, miserable commute on the worst roads in England, or on inconvnenient, packed, badly managed and expensive trains, so you can occasionally sell me a sandwich is the worst argument in the world. Remind me what sandwich sellers have ever done when I've needed a pay rise or a hand up.

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Thats why the Goverment is keen to get many more people to return. So you're arguing that we should all work less effectively, and commute for much longer, so taxi drivers and sandwich shop owners can make a living?

I need a better argument than that. Want to sell me a sandwich? Bring it to where I am. Arguing that I should do a long, miserable commute on the worst roads in England, or on inconvnenient, packed, badly managed and expensive trains, so you can occasionally sell me a sandwich is the worst argument in the world. Remind me what sandwich sellers have ever done when I've needed a pay rise or a hand up."

Spot on

By *ike676767Man  over a year ago

Near Taunton

Wait until the weather turns the need to heat the home from 9 until 5 and the additional cost of doing so may see a desire to get back to the office!!.

North West

"Wait until the weather turns the need to heat the home from 9 until 5 and the additional cost of doing so may see a desire to get back to the office!!."

Nah, just woolly jumpers will become formal wear and Granny style knee blankets the norm. I've WFH 1 or 2 days a week for about 3 years before the lockdown and I do not put extra heating on in the day. Oh, and thick socks

"Wait until the weather turns the need to heat the home from 9 until 5 and the additional cost of doing so may see a desire to get back to the office!!."

Nah.

Running the heating is still far cheaper than running a car for my 75 mile round trip commute.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

[Removed by poster at 30/08/20 00:59:04]

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Thats why the Goverment is keen to get many more people to return. So you're arguing that we should all work less effectively, and commute for much longer, so taxi drivers and sandwich shop owners can make a living?

I need a better argument than that. Want to sell me a sandwich? Bring it to where I am. Arguing that I should do a long, miserable commute on the worst roads in England, or on inconvnenient, packed, badly managed and expensive trains, so you can occasionally sell me a sandwich is the worst argument in the world. Remind me what sandwich sellers have ever done when I've needed a pay rise or a hand up."

The perfect example of why socialism can never work.

I'm ok fuck everyone else.

I need a better argument than that. Want to sell me a sandwich? Bring it to where I am. Arguing that I should do a long, miserable commute on the worst roads in England, or on inconvnenient, packed, badly managed and expensive trains, so you can occasionally sell me a sandwich is the worst argument in the world. Remind me what sandwich sellers have ever done when I've needed a pay rise or a hand up.

I'm ok fuck everyone else."

Well you do have to look after no1. Reality is working from home is the future for many office jobs. Even when people go back to the office they now realise how much they can save not eating or having coffee at coffee shop.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

My personal opinion is that WFH is a realignment in how we do business, it’s streamlining the economy, removing wasteful services and allowing those in traditional business to evaluate their Economic models for the 21st century.

The benefits are pretty self evident since lockdown. Here are a few in no particular order.

- better work/life balance for families

- increased health

- reduction in work related travel and the stress which is associated with it.

- increase in work productivity.

- reduction in pollution in towns and cities.

- increases in monetary savings for home workers.

- lower food bills.

- boosting the local economy by spending locally as opposed to spending in areas of work.

In the same respect there are unbeneficial aspects which should not be ignored either, again in no particular order.

- increases in mental health Issues due to isolation.

- pressure to overcompensate when working as you are not visible.

- no separation from home/work environments for many.

- decreased Physical activity for those Who were active.

Only you as an individual can judge what suits you, but for many, work is just means to an end, for others they live to work.

At the end of this, we need to remember the Virus forced us to evaluate what was important in life.

Only history can say whether WFH was turning point in how we work for the better or for the worse.

North West

Well you do have to look after no1. Reality is working from home is the future for many office jobs. Even when people go back to the office they now realise how much they can save not eating or having coffee at coffee shop. "

No one needs to buy from coffee shops etc in town centres. No one forces people to waste their wages. Make a packed lunch and take a mug and tub of coffee to work. Employers by law have to provide for breaks, so there should be a kettle or hot water dispenser. If there isn't, take a Thermos of boiling water. It's not rocket science.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

About 6 weeks ago I was asked if I could work from home. I was asked if I had broadband and if I had space.Although I have space I don’t have broadband so I have carried on working at the office.It has got me thinking though that as employers can see their work is been completed and their workforce seem to be happier working from home will this become the new normal.I guess some employers will no longer need 4 floors of office space if they can get away with 2.

"We've been back open for a while, and are encouraging everyone to do at least one day a week in the office. Everyone who's been in has admitted it's great for their mental well being.

The roads are definitely busier each day, as are the queues in the local Sandwich shopswtc at lunchtimes. Would hate to see some of our local businesses forced to close because not enough people are able to support them."

my company have taken the exact opposite approach ... even when i have asked to be on site for tasks that will be easier (and i know my floor is empty so social distancing is not an issue) i was told no

our access has been revoked, not allowed in to collect personal belongings and we have been provided desks chair and monitors at home, printers being removed from the offices ... its clear to me we are never going back as they know they can cut cost on leased office space

"My personal opinion is that WFH is a realignment in how we do business, it’s streamlining the economy, removing wasteful services and allowing those in traditional business to evaluate their Economic models for the 21st century.

The benefits are pretty self evident since lockdown. Here are a few in no particular order.

- better work/life balance for families

- increased health

- reduction in work related travel and the stress which is associated with it.

- increase in work productivity.

- reduction in pollution in towns and cities.

- increases in monetary savings for home workers.

- lower food bills.

- boosting the local economy by spending locally as opposed to spending in areas of work.

In the same respect there are unbeneficial aspects which should not be ignored either, again in no particular order.

- increases in mental health Issues due to isolation.

- pressure to overcompensate when working as you are not visible.

- no separation from home/work environments for many.

- decreased Physical activity for those Who were active.

Only you as an individual can judge what suits you, but for many, work is just means to an end, for others they live to work.

At the end of this, we need to remember the Virus forced us to evaluate what was important in life.

Only history can say whether WFH was turning point in how we work for the better or for the worse.

"

I’d hate to have to work from home.

I’ve enjoyed continuing going to work at my workplace.

We’ve all been given laptops though, so if any of us has to self isolate we can still do some work from home.

Cramlington

I'm ok fuck everyone else."

You really need to get a greater repertoire of witty comebacks. If I buy a sandwich for £3 from Pret a Manger how much of the price of that sandwich do you think ends up in anyone's wages? The greatest part of the price of that sandwich ends up in the hands of landlords and the investment bankers who own the company. Wages, even incuding the wages of the delivery drivers and the suppiers employees, make up maybe less than 10% of the price of that sandwich. Now, between you and me, I don't remember any definition of socialism that says that I should buy expensive sandwiches so investment bankers and landlords can carry on getting richer.

Mr Icebreaker

Cramlington

Well you do have to look after no1. Reality is working from home is the future for many office jobs. Even when people go back to the office they now realise how much they can save not eating or having coffee at coffee shop.

No one needs to buy from coffee shops etc in town centres. No one forces people to waste their wages. Make a packed lunch and take a mug and tub of coffee to work. Employers by law have to provide for breaks, so there should be a kettle or hot water dispenser. If there isn't, take a Thermos of boiling water. It's not rocket science. "

I agree, but that rather blows apart the shallow argument of this government and its apologists that everyone has to go back to work in city centres to get the economy restarted.

North West

No one needs to buy from coffee shops etc in town centres. No one forces people to waste their wages. Make a packed lunch and take a mug and tub of coffee to work. Employers by law have to provide for breaks, so there should be a kettle or hot water dispenser. If there isn't, take a Thermos of boiling water. It's not rocket science. I agree, but that rather blows apart the shallow argument of this government and its apologists that everyone has to go back to work in city centres to get the economy restarted."

Honestly, it's really tickled me in the past, watching colleagues spending upwards of £10 a day in a staff canteen on breakfast, lunch, hot drinks, vending machines etc. The employer pays you and you immediately give them about £50 straight back! Much cheaper to bring your own food, use the microwave/kettle (toaster, if allowed) or eat cold lunches. I've worked all sorts of silly shifts in the past but very infrequently buy lunch etc at work.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

No one needs to buy from coffee shops etc in town centres. No one forces people to waste their wages. Make a packed lunch and take a mug and tub of coffee to work. Employers by law have to provide for breaks, so there should be a kettle or hot water dispenser. If there isn't, take a Thermos of boiling water. It's not rocket science. I agree, but that rather blows apart the shallow argument of this government and its apologists that everyone has to go back to work in city centres to get the economy restarted.

Honestly, it's really tickled me in the past, watching colleagues spending upwards of £10 a day in a staff canteen on breakfast, lunch, hot drinks, vending machines etc. The employer pays you and you immediately give them about £50 straight back! Much cheaper to bring your own food, use the microwave/kettle (toaster, if allowed) or eat cold lunches. I've worked all sorts of silly shifts in the past but very infrequently buy lunch etc at work. "

The modern day equivalent of the factory shop, part paid in tokens only taken by the owners shop keeper..

Just a bit more fancier food and coffee you need a dictionary to decipher what each one is..

North West

No one needs to buy from coffee shops etc in town centres. No one forces people to waste their wages. Make a packed lunch and take a mug and tub of coffee to work. Employers by law have to provide for breaks, so there should be a kettle or hot water dispenser. If there isn't, take a Thermos of boiling water. It's not rocket science. I agree, but that rather blows apart the shallow argument of this government and its apologists that everyone has to go back to work in city centres to get the economy restarted.

Honestly, it's really tickled me in the past, watching colleagues spending upwards of £10 a day in a staff canteen on breakfast, lunch, hot drinks, vending machines etc. The employer pays you and you immediately give them about £50 straight back! Much cheaper to bring your own food, use the microwave/kettle (toaster, if allowed) or eat cold lunches. I've worked all sorts of silly shifts in the past but very infrequently buy lunch etc at work.

The modern day equivalent of the factory shop, part paid in tokens only taken by the owners shop keeper..

Just a bit more fancier food and coffee you need a dictionary to decipher what each one is.."

Difference now is that you aren't tied to tokens from your employer. It's entirely up to the employee as to whether they bip their card or not for a hot lunch or stick a few quid in the coffee machine. If people are moaning about £3 sandwiches and expensive coffee, then the answer is very straightforward. Buy a load of bread, spread/butter and a filling you enjoy, and make butties. It takes a few minutes the evening before. Bring your own tea/coffee if the employer does not provide it, bring a thermal cup in your bag and take it home to wash each day. I keep green tea bags in my desk drawer (employer provides basic tea/coffee) and my mug goes home, along with the tupperwear and fork I used for my lunch.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Just a bit more fancier food and coffee you need a dictionary to decipher what each one is..

Difference now is that you aren't tied to tokens from your employer. It's entirely up to the employee as to whether they bip their card or not for a hot lunch or stick a few quid in the coffee machine. If people are moaning about £3 sandwiches and expensive coffee, then the answer is very straightforward. Buy a load of bread, spread/butter and a filling you enjoy, and make butties. It takes a few minutes the evening before. Bring your own tea/coffee if the employer does not provide it, bring a thermal cup in your bag and take it home to wash each day. I keep green tea bags in my desk drawer (employer provides basic tea/coffee) and my mug goes home, along with the tupperwear and fork I used for my lunch. "

Totally agree..

Cramlington

Difference now is that you aren't tied to tokens from your employer. It's entirely up to the employee as to whether they bip their card or not for a hot lunch or stick a few quid in the coffee machine. If people are moaning about £3 sandwiches and expensive coffee, then the answer is very straightforward. Buy a load of bread, spread/butter and a filling you enjoy, and make butties. It takes a few minutes the evening before. Bring your own tea/coffee if the employer does not provide it, bring a thermal cup in your bag and take it home to wash each day. I keep green tea bags in my desk drawer (employer provides basic tea/coffee) and my mug goes home, along with the tupperwear and fork I used for my lunch. "

Yes, yes, but if we go back to work and don't spend any money in the city centre then that's the government's spurious argument about the economic harm being done by people working from home rather torpedoed isn't it? That's the point....

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

Difference now is that you aren't tied to tokens from your employer. It's entirely up to the employee as to whether they bip their card or not for a hot lunch or stick a few quid in the coffee machine. If people are moaning about £3 sandwiches and expensive coffee, then the answer is very straightforward. Buy a load of bread, spread/butter and a filling you enjoy, and make butties. It takes a few minutes the evening before. Bring your own tea/coffee if the employer does not provide it, bring a thermal cup in your bag and take it home to wash each day. I keep green tea bags in my desk drawer (employer provides basic tea/coffee) and my mug goes home, along with the tupperwear and fork I used for my lunch. Yes, yes, but if we go back to work and don't spend any money in the city centre then that's the government's spurious argument about the economic harm being done by people working from home rather torpedoed isn't it? That's the point...."

I think the Govt is more interested in saving commercial landlords rather than individual businesses.

Cramlington

Difference now is that you aren't tied to tokens from your employer. It's entirely up to the employee as to whether they bip their card or not for a hot lunch or stick a few quid in the coffee machine. If people are moaning about £3 sandwiches and expensive coffee, then the answer is very straightforward. Buy a load of bread, spread/butter and a filling you enjoy, and make butties. It takes a few minutes the evening before. Bring your own tea/coffee if the employer does not provide it, bring a thermal cup in your bag and take it home to wash each day. I keep green tea bags in my desk drawer (employer provides basic tea/coffee) and my mug goes home, along with the tupperwear and fork I used for my lunch. Yes, yes, but if we go back to work and don't spend any money in the city centre then that's the government's spurious argument about the economic harm being done by people working from home rather torpedoed isn't it? That's the point....

I think the Govt is more interested in saving commercial landlords rather than individual businesses."

You don't say, lol....

. Wow...great response. It's not just sandwich bars that will suffer....think of cafes pubs high street shops banks etc. then think of the knock on effect onto public transport, higher fares and less routes needed. Less need for maintenance on shops so local DiY stores quieter. Everything here has a knock on effect to the point that city centres and towns will no longer be needed. And before anyone says...online shopping is not for everyone.

» Add a new message to this topic