FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Teachers

Teachers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *adbutsanecouple OP   Couple  over a year ago

Calne

The vast majority of teachers just want to get back to doing their jobs.

Yes I am a teacher and myself and my colleagues are preparing for a teaching environment that will be as safe as possible under the restrictions that we will be working under in this ever changing environment where there are no definitive answers.

Yes we have concerns about our health and that of our families but remember we also have concerns about our students. We are not robots we build relationships with them as well, when students become unwell or worse pass away it affects us to.

95% of teachers are ready willIng and waiting to start providing the vital education that our kids need so please when you here the odd dissenting teacher or a quote from unions who don’t really represent us don’t tar us all with the same brush.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"The vast majority of teachers just want to get back to doing their jobs.

Yes I am a teacher and myself and my colleagues are preparing for a teaching environment that will be as safe as possible under the restrictions that we will be working under in this ever changing environment where there are no definitive answers.

Yes we have concerns about our health and that of our families but remember we also have concerns about our students. We are not robots we build relationships with them as well, when students become unwell or worse pass away it affects us to.

95% of teachers are ready willIng and waiting to start providing the vital education that our kids need so please when you here the odd dissenting teacher or a quote from unions who don’t really represent us don’t tar us all with the same brush."

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What a lovely post from a brave person. Mrs N has to go into work every day at the supermarket she works at, There is some small risk but she just gets on with it. I am very proud to know her, as I would you if I knew you.

Good luck.

x

By *s Fussy BiatchWoman  over a year ago

somewhere along the fylde

95% of teachers are ready willIng and waiting to start providing the vital education that our kids need so please when you here the odd dissenting teacher or a quote from unions who don’t really represent us don’t tar us all with the same brush."

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Well said OP

Agree totally op, well said

By *iliciousCouple  over a year ago

South East

OP

Good luck.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Great post. I’m not a teacher, not involved in education in any way and my kids are grown and working.

I’ve been shocked by some of the comments aimed at teachers. Don’t forget, many parents are also worried.

The government seemed to sort out the ‘air bridges’ and safe countries to visit just in time for when Parliament broke up. I knew they would. Then started imposing restrictions once they were back from their holidays or homes abroad.

Now scrambling to sort out schools at a time when they won’t be in the House of Commons and many office workers won’t return to the office. Useless amateurs!

As a teacher, you need a very thick skin (as I'm sure you're aware)

There will always be folk who bash us because it's the easy thing to do. We have too many holidays, we finish at 3pm, we should be back in school blah blah blah.

It amazes me how people who know very little about the profession can comment like they're an expert. I wouldn't dream on commenting on other professions that I know little about.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

It's also worth adding that the profession consists of a vast range of different types of teacher, working in a wide variety of different settings. Everyone seems to think mainstream primary and secondary schools are the only place teachers exist. However, don't forget colleagues in: FE, HE, private training providers, pre-schools/nursery schools, private schools/colleges, special and residential schools, pupil referral units and there are more.

Each setting brings its own set of risks and challenges which need to be balanced, yet central Government issues blanket guidance like everywhere is the same. It's not!

Teachers get a rough ride. The press have a lot to answer for, love to demonise them!

Good luck on your return

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"As a teacher, you need a very thick skin (as I'm sure you're aware)

There will always be folk who bash us because it's the easy thing to do. We have too many holidays, we finish at 3pm, we should be back in school blah blah blah.

It amazes me how people who know very little about the profession can comment like they're an expert. I wouldn't dream on commenting on other professions that I know little about."

Its simple really.

They see a headline in the likes of the daily mail such as 'marxist unions/or left wing teachers 'and they don't have the faculties to question what they are reading.

Whilst boris talks about moral duties whilst expecting schools to fundraise money for ppe.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

It amazes me how people who know very little about the profession can comment like they're an expert. I wouldn't dream on commenting on other professions that I know little about.

Its simple really.

They see a headline in the likes of the daily mail such as 'marxist unions/or left wing teachers 'and they don't have the faculties to question what they are reading.

Whilst boris talks about moral duties whilst expecting schools to fundraise money for ppe."

Exactly, the press stir it up and the idiots jump on the bandwagon!

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

I and collegues must have met the 5% who are determined not to return

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"It's also worth adding that the profession consists of a vast range of different types of teacher, working in a wide variety of different settings. Everyone seems to think mainstream primary and secondary schools are the only place teachers exist. However, don't forget colleagues in: FE, HE, private training providers, pre-schools/nursery schools, private schools/colleges, special and residential schools, pupil referral units and there are more.

Each setting brings its own set of risks and challenges which need to be balanced, yet central Government issues blanket guidance like everywhere is the same. It's not! "

Good points, we worked in FE, private training , work based etc and what is left of adult Ed and it’s completely different to schools. We also delivered thousands of online exams and end point assessments, with proper remote invigilation approved by Ofqual, can’t believe how the government fucked up the exams this year because of pressure by the dinosaurs in the JCQ, who resist any kind of reform of paper and pencil tests.

North West

"I and collegues must have met the 5% who are determined not to return "

None of the 12 teachers in my department are unwilling to return. Every one is fine with coming in; their only concern/challenge is with public transport rather than anything to do with the college itself.

South

"I and collegues must have met the 5% who are determined not to return "

I’m a teacher and union rep I’ve not met anyone that is determined not to return .....

South

"I and collegues must have met the 5% who are determined not to return

None of the 12 teachers in my department are unwilling to return. Every one is fine with coming in; their only concern/challenge is with public transport rather than anything to do with the college itself. "

For us it’s mainly that guidelines are being followed as they weren’t last term.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Thank you to all teachers for the truly professional and demanding job you all do.

North West

"It's also worth adding that the profession consists of a vast range of different types of teacher, working in a wide variety of different settings. Everyone seems to think mainstream primary and secondary schools are the only place teachers exist. However, don't forget colleagues in: FE, HE, private training providers, pre-schools/nursery schools, private schools/colleges, special and residential schools, pupil referral units and there are more.

Each setting brings its own set of risks and challenges which need to be balanced, yet central Government issues blanket guidance like everywhere is the same. It's not!

Good points, we worked in FE, private training , work based etc and what is left of adult Ed and it’s completely different to schools. We also delivered thousands of online exams and end point assessments, with proper remote invigilation approved by Ofqual, can’t believe how the government fucked up the exams this year because of pressure by the dinosaurs in the JCQ, who resist any kind of reform of paper and pencil tests."

I work in UK based international private education. We administered time controlled assessments with students across the world. We had more students in total than most UK secondary schools (over 1000). We set them, oversaw them, marked them, moderated them and sent everything to the external examiners for EV. We attended exam boards remotely etc etc. Our exam board are planning all 2020/21 exams to be remotely proctored now.

liverpool

"Thank you to all teachers for the truly professional and demanding job you all do. "

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Thanks op! Hope this coming term works a little easier than last year. I think most people are fully supportive of our dedicated teachers

It amazes me how people who know very little about the profession can comment like they're an expert. I wouldn't dream on commenting on other professions that I know little about."

By *teveuk77Man  over a year ago

uk

We know that teachers work outside school hours and holidays aren't perhaps spent chilling out but at times teachers don't do themselves any favours.

I remember a few years ago in TES there was an article where they compared the claimed hours a teacher does to the hours of other professions. It read as though teachers were doing 60 hrs and everyone else was doing 35-40 hours. Sorry, but many professionals work way over their contractual hours for no extra pay and also with just a few weeks on annual leave. I felt that was a really bad article because it made out teachers were doing more hours than me.

I also think that teachers can be a little ignorant of the challenges that office workers have in their work place. I don't just go to work, sit at computer all day and then return home. My work is technically very challenging with different clients wanting different solutions. There is limited re-usabilty. Compare that to education where teachers pretty much regurgitate the same lessons year on year.

liverpool

We know that teachers work outside school hours and holidays aren't perhaps spent chilling out but at times teachers don't do themselves any favours.

I remember a few years ago in TES there was an article where they compared the claimed hours a teacher does to the hours of other professions. It read as though teachers were doing 60 hrs and everyone else was doing 35-40 hours. Sorry, but many professionals work way over their contractual hours for no extra pay and also with just a few weeks on annual leave. I felt that was a really bad article because it made out teachers were doing more hours than me.

I also think that teachers can be a little ignorant of the challenges that office workers have in their work place. I don't just go to work, sit at computer all day and then return home. My work is technically very challenging with different clients wanting different solutions. There is limited re-usabilty. Compare that to education where teachers pretty much regurgitate the same lessons year on year.

"

What's tes?

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Times Educational Supplement

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Teachers by the very nature love to make mountains out of molehills it's a culture..

School Gov...

liverpool

"Times Educational Supplement"

So a paper owned by Murdoch has a damaging piece in it about teachers?

"

It's only when the very ignorant acuse teachers of working from 9 till 3 and holidaying for 13 weeks a year that some feel they have to defend themselves.

If you knew the truth, you'd know that is a million miles away. However, I chose my profession (just like you did yours) If someone doesn't like what they do or they think teaching is somehow an easy profession then crack on and train to join us.

As for re-gurgitating the same lessons year on year, where have you heard this? What are you basing this absurd opinion on?

liverpool

"Teachers by the very nature love to make mountains out of molehills it's a culture..

School Gov..."

Evidence of this wide sweeping generalisation?

By *inkybiblackMan  over a year ago

Leyton

I’m a teacher and union rep I’ve not met anyone that is determined not to return ..... "

I’m a teacher and also active in a teacher union; the NEU supports schools to open safely for students in September. The govt has a gung ho attitude to the process, thank god for unions and public opinion in pushing back when needed!

liverpool

I’m a teacher and union rep I’ve not met anyone that is determined not to return .....

I’m a teacher and also active in a teacher union; the NEU supports schools to open safely for students in September. The govt has a gung ho attitude to the process, thank god for unions and public opinion in pushing back when needed! "

South

I’m a teacher and also active in a teacher union; the NEU supports schools to open safely for students in September. The govt has a gung ho attitude to the process, thank god for unions and public opinion in pushing back when needed! "

Absolutely!!!!

South

"

I qualified as a teacher at 40 .... worked in lots of technical/ sales environments prior to. Seriously none of the sectors I worked for and I worked pretty high up have anywhere near the pressure. We are dealing with lives every single word you say makes or breaks them. Mental health of kids, academic progress, how they view themselves, adults, the world around them all on our shoulders, school makes or breaks children we love them and pour our heart and soul into them. They break we break. Also just FYI teachers aren’t paid for school holidays so it’s not annual leave at all.

Unless you have been a teacher and worked in other sectors I don’t think you can judge ‘how little they know’. I know both.. do you?

South

"Teachers by the very nature love to make mountains out of molehills it's a culture..

School Gov..."

School governors by nature seem to want to run schools as businesses and are always looking at making savings to the detriment of the pupils. It’s a culture

Teacher...

North West

"

Deary me. My working pattern is more like that of an office worker. I am contracted (paid) to work, in my educational setting, for 37.5hrs a week, 7.5hrs a day. Those hours can be anywhere between 8am and 8pm. I have 30 days annual leave per year, plus Bank Holidays. I can only take my holidays at certain times of the year, when students are on vacation or at lower demand times. We are now nearly in September and I still have 25 days holiday to use, because I haven't had a fucking chance to use any in the lockdown period.

We have literally reinvented the wheel. We are now teaching across every time zone in the world, rather than teaching everyone physically in the UK. We had no provision for online teaching on the day we were kicked out (19 March) but by 1st April, we launched full time online teaching, covering a marginall reduced syllabus. We administered time controlled end of course assessments and we are currently dealing with the student's progression to university. Which, due to the issues with the British qualifications, is an utter shit storm this year. We have reduced support staff (furlough or reduced hours). My assistant and another teacher I manage were furloughed or on leave for the duration of the lock to date, due to caring responsibilities which stop them working at home. I've done 3 people's jobs since March.

Don't you dare tell me that I don't work at least as hard, if not harder than a "regular" office worker.

We now have to launch an utterly seamless online offering for the new September intake. Again, our teaching materials for semester 1 are not geared to purely online, so the wheel continues to be reinvented.

I will lack an assistant until at least the beginning of November, so I continue to do two people's jobs. Thankfully the other guy came back last week.

By *inkybiblackMan  over a year ago

Leyton

I’m a teacher and union rep I’ve not met anyone that is determined not to return ..... "

I’m a teacher and also active in a teacher union; the NEU supports schools to open safely for students in September. The govt has a gung ho attitude to the process, thank god for unions and public opinion in pushing back when needed!

liverpool

School Gov...

School governors by nature seem to want to run schools as businesses and are always looking at making savings to the detriment of the pupils. It’s a culture

Teacher... "

Boom

Deary me. My working pattern is more like that of an office worker. I am contracted (paid) to work, in my educational setting, for 37.5hrs a week, 7.5hrs a day. Those hours can be anywhere between 8am and 8pm. I have 30 days annual leave per year, plus Bank Holidays. I can only take my holidays at certain times of the year, when students are on vacation or at lower demand times. We are now nearly in September and I still have 25 days holiday to use, because I haven't had a fucking chance to use any in the lockdown period.

We have literally reinvented the wheel. We are now teaching across every time zone in the world, rather than teaching everyone physically in the UK. We had no provision for online teaching on the day we were kicked out (19 March) but by 1st April, we launched full time online teaching, covering a marginall reduced syllabus. We administered time controlled end of course assessments and we are currently dealing with the student's progression to university. Which, due to the issues with the British qualifications, is an utter shit storm this year. We have reduced support staff (furlough or reduced hours). My assistant and another teacher I manage were furloughed or on leave for the duration of the lock to date, due to caring responsibilities which stop them working at home. I've done 3 people's jobs since March.

Don't you dare tell me that I don't work at least as hard, if not harder than a "regular" office worker.

We now have to launch an utterly seamless online offering for the new September intake. Again, our teaching materials for semester 1 are not geared to purely online, so the wheel continues to be reinvented.

I will lack an assistant until at least the beginning of November, so I continue to do two people's jobs. Thankfully the other guy came back last week. "

Absolutely spot on

I can't wait to start 're-gurgitating' lessons again next week. Because every year, the children are exactly the same of course so I can just teach them in exactly the same way!!! Teaching is such an easy profession.

I'm being sarcastic of course just in case you missed it lol

By *entle giraffeMan  over a year ago

Minehead

School Gov..."

Butcher, baker or candlestick maker?

liverpool

A quick perusal of the comments section To a daily mail story about teachers,gives a little inkling of where some of these 'views 'come from.

North West

"A quick perusal of the comments section To a daily mail story about teachers,gives a little inkling of where some of these 'views 'come from."

Daily Mail readers wouldn't last 5 minutes as teachers.

Well said

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"A quick perusal of the comments section To a daily mail story about teachers,gives a little inkling of where some of these 'views 'come from.

Daily Mail readers wouldn't last 5 minutes as teachers. "

what? Are you saying that no teacher reads the Daily Mail?

North West

"A quick perusal of the comments section To a daily mail story about teachers,gives a little inkling of where some of these 'views 'come from.

Daily Mail readers wouldn't last 5 minutes as teachers. what? Are you saying that no teacher reads the Daily Mail? "

No, we haven't got time

liverpool

Daily Mail readers wouldn't last 5 minutes as teachers. "

I didnt get past the 1st 2 tbh.

Apparently teachers have set back education for decades.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

» Add a new message to this topic