FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > The 10pm mass bubble

The 10pm mass bubble

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isfits behaving badly OP   Couple  over a year ago

Coventry

10pm closing time seems to be causing everyone to leave the pub at the same time, often with a itch to carry on the party else where. As apposed to people leaving at various times throughout the night once they've had enough. And no one could see this would happen?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The 10 o,clock thing is a joke.

You either keep them open or you shut them...as lammy said their is no science whatsoever on this...

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"10pm closing time seems to be causing everyone to leave the pub at the same time, often with a itch to carry on the party else where. As apposed to people leaving at various times throughout the night once they've had enough. And no one could see this would happen?"

Its unreal.

Coventry

"The 10 o,clock thing is a joke.

You either keep them open or you shut them...as lammy said their is no science whatsoever on this..."

Oh no I beg to different the government has guaranteed us there's sound science behind it. Not shown us any but come on we can trust them.

Think they were banking on the common sense of the public to make it work. Once again, the public has proved them wrong... Anyone surprised?

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"10pm closing time seems to be causing everyone to leave the pub at the same time, often with a itch to carry on the party else where. As apposed to people leaving at various times throughout the night once they've had enough. And no one could see this would happen?"

No, only arseholes and the brain dead will.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Yes they knew it would happen, most will disperse home, some will have house parties and risk the fine, its the same over and over again. I'm going to do what I want to do attitude, sod everyone else and thats not just limited to the uk.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"Think they were banking on the common sense of the public to make it work. Once again, the public has proved them wrong... Anyone surprised? "

Or maybe (by accident or by design) people are being set up to fail? Convenient scapegoats?

"Yes they knew it would happen, most will disperse home, some will have house parties and risk the fine, its the same over and over again. I'm going to do what I want to do attitude, sod everyone else and thats not just limited to the uk.

"

[Removed by poster at 27/09/20 16:01:43]

[Removed by poster at 27/09/20 16:01:39]

"Think they were banking on the common sense of the public to make it work. Once again, the public has proved them wrong... Anyone surprised?

Or maybe (by accident or by design) people are being set up to fail? Convenient scapegoats?"

Oh please. The rules are clear. People are purposefully choosing not follow them. They are setting themselves up, not the government.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Anyone remember one of the arguments for extending pub opening hours beyond the old 11pm, back in the Tony Blair days? It was to reduce the mass dispersing of people out of pubs to cause trouble on the streets. It wasn't the only reason but forward, but certainly was one.

We're back to the same, its just now at 10pm rather than 11pm.

What difference does an hour make?

Those who won’t follow the rules, won’t at 10pm or 11pm.

liverpool

"What difference does an hour make?

Those who won’t follow the rules, won’t at 10pm or 11pm."

Booting people our at 10 pm is hugely flawed.

There is of course an argument to say people need to take responsibility but an ultra cynical view would be the policy was introduced so the blame could be placed on people.

Not by me though.

NW London

"Think they were banking on the common sense of the public to make it work. Once again, the public has proved them wrong... Anyone surprised?

Or maybe (by accident or by design) people are being set up to fail? Convenient scapegoats?

Oh please. The rules are clear. People are purposefully choosing not follow them. They are setting themselves up, not the government. "

Obviously people should behave and respect social distancing. But the govt should have known this sort of thing was bound to happen, especially the crowded London underground.

It just seems a bit of a coincidence that pubs and bars were allowed to reopen a week or so after Gay Pride (The street scenes in London that gave people a heart attack were in the Gay area of Soho) and the Leicester local lockdown was introduced the day before Eid massively pissing off the Muslim population.

i picked my grandson up last night from pub he was at ,at 9 45 people were just coming out in dribs and drabs same as the pub futher down if people followed the advice that was given we wouldnt have this

By *eordiesCouple  over a year ago

newcastle

Or maybe (by accident or by design) people are being set up to fail? Convenient scapegoats?"

My feelings as well.

The public gets the blame for not following the rules, but the rules don't make scientific sense.

But it lets Boris blame everyone else except him.

My feelings as well.

The public gets the blame for not following the rules, but the rules don't make scientific sense.

But it lets Boris blame everyone else except him."

Well you can leave earlier than 10. Common sense

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Saw very similar with 12 and 1am curfews in Lagos and Rhodes earlier this year , it creates a huge crowd and fighting and parties follow. Also the bars I saw were just opening from 5pm instead of 9/10 , very predictable for any one with any common sense or understanding of culture

My feelings as well.

"

And judging by some posts on Fab, it's mad how many members of the general public seem quite happy to accept any blame Boris and co throw in their direction, when all they've done is follow the governments guidelines. It's bizarre

By *ebel Red HotWoman  over a year ago

York

There is nothing wrong with people being responsible and leaving at intervals. If they are too pissed to do that maybe a 9 pm curfew is needed.

By *ensual 2Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

People are tiring of all this and gonna be deciding for themselves in the coming months whether to entertain later at home or not ...too much oppression for too long just wont work !!

How can you vilify people for leaving pubs at 10pm when that's exactly what the government has imposed??

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Think the 10pm ruling was aimed at the younger crowd that wouldn’t normally go out until this time and then party until 5am, they used to wait for the oldies to vacate the pubs but obviously a flawed plan as all ages are trying to cram in now at the same time

when the pubs opened back up in july, it was only outside and only til 10 (at least in glasgow anyway as outdoor licenses only exist til 10) ... everyone was being kicked out at the same time and there was none of this gathering and partying in the streets because people felt appreciative of being allowed a little freedom after having none

many bars continued the 10pm for part of july even once we were allowed to start indoors ... still no issue as we were slowly being allowed more freedoms

so whats the difference now... freedom is being tightened and people are spitting the dummy out ... the time has nothing to do with it, people leaving at the same time has little impact too... late night venues were not even open so it was everyone out at 12 before now 10 ... its still not staggered

personal opinion its all about peoples self entitles attitudes of nobody gets to tell me so ill show them

"How can you vilify people for leaving pubs at 10pm when that's exactly what the government has imposed?? "

i would assume the gripe is with the congregated almost parties in the street.. people apparently cant be trusted to get the purpose of the curfew and take shutting time as a signal to go home

By *onghMan  over a year ago

cardiff

Here in Wales, our wise leaders identified that a 10 pm all out policy could result in a potentially problematic mass exodus into city and town centres at that time and so introduced a more relaxed policy; no service after 10 pm instead of all out by then. They then let themselves down by imposing a 20 minute drink up time so it's all out by 10.20!

Local restrictions in 75 minutes and counting!

By *ookMan  over a year ago

london

Ok here’s an idea... issue everyone ( uk citizens who pay tax) with a nhs card required for treatment... break the rules... card gets withdrawn and no treatment! Also let’s grow really big chickens the size of ostriches negate the need for panic buying.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

People know how to risk spreading it. People know how to reduce the risk of spreading it. People are making their decisions. People need to take responsibility for the decisions they are taking and stop blaming any and everybody else. Nobody is forcing people together.

If you must do it... Do it... But don't then whine that it is someone else's fault.

Find myself wondering what folk are going to do if a vaccine is discovered and this all gets under control. Who they going to moan about, look down upon and generally sit in judgement of then?

Yeah some people are ignoring guidance and some people are doing things they shouldn't but the vast majority are abiding.

Where are the predicted spikes from May Bank Holiday or the blm protests?

They didn't appear so why not?

Why is the current increase happening?

Is it related to mask wearing? Is it related to normal seasonal infections? Are we being misled as to what the figures thrown at us every day actually represent?

I don't have the answer but when this topic first appeared it was informative and interesting. Now, it's all about blame and oooo the guy 3 doors down from my great aunts dog was out without a mask.

There's more benefit derived from educating and encouraging than ever will be from dissing and being sanctimonious.

Huge lack of understanding about all the impacts of this virus other than the obvious.

I do as I'm guided to do but doesn't make me feel superior to anyone, I hate it actually but please folks it's time to get off the high horse, stop verbally attacking people who disagree and concentrate on encouraging others to do what they can, every little helps. Think of me as you will as ill not be back in this depression chamber anymore, any benefits it initially had are long gone.

By *ookMan  over a year ago

london

Yes the vast majority are abiding. Well done all... however it’s a virus that spreads and makes no allowance for anyone who’s not! Those that don’t follow the rules or even just use some common sense totally fuck it up for everyone else... health, jobs everything is at risk etc etc!!!

"Find myself wondering what folk are going to do if a vaccine is discovered and this all gets under control. Who they going to moan about, look down upon and generally sit in judgement of then?

Yeah some people are ignoring guidance and some people are doing things they shouldn't but the vast majority are abiding.

Is it related to mask wearing? Is it related to normal seasonal infections? Are we being misled as to what the figures thrown at us every day actually represent?

I don't have the answer but when this topic first appeared it was informative and interesting. Now, it's all about blame and oooo the guy 3 doors down from my great aunts dog was out without a mask.

There's more benefit derived from educating and encouraging than ever will be from dissing and being sanctimonious.

Huge lack of understanding about all the impacts of this virus other than the obvious.

I do as I'm guided to do but doesn't make me feel superior to anyone, I hate it actually but please folks it's time to get off the high horse, stop verbally attacking people who disagree and concentrate on encouraging others to do what they can, every little helps. Think of me as you will as ill not be back in this depression chamber anymore, any benefits it initially had are long gone. "

This

It’s not compulsory to go to the pub in the first place

By *ensual 2Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

"It’s not compulsory to go to the pub in the first place "
Agreed ....pubs are gonna take it hard for the next 6 months (if they even stay open) ... with people giving Mickey mouse names up on arrival and fake phone numbers track /trace is doomed as many dont wanna be involved with any chance of detection

the wetlands

"

"

It's obvious you're not a scientist then

Tin town

"Find myself wondering what folk are going to do if a vaccine is discovered and this all gets under control. Who they going to moan about, look down upon and generally sit in judgement of then?

I do as I'm guided to do but doesn't make me feel superior to anyone, I hate it actually but please folks it's time to get off the high horse, stop verbally attacking people who disagree and concentrate on encouraging others to do what they can, every little helps. Think of me as you will as ill not be back in this depression chamber anymore, any benefits it initially had are long gone. "

Really well said

Fully in agreement.

Those who won’t follow the rules, won’t at 10pm or 11pm."

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

All kicked of in colchester last night ,fights ,abuse at the police ,stupid idiots ,pubs shut at 11, when i was younger and 10.30 on a sunday ,this generation are so spoiled and such cockwombles,

liverpool

"

It's obvious you're not a scientist then "

I'm not sure closing the pub at 10 is a scientific argument tbh.

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

Think of all them hungry people descending on the fast food outlets at the same time. Absolute chaos.

liverpool

"It’s not compulsory to go to the pub in the first place "

Do you not think people should be allowed some freedoms?

"It’s not compulsory to go to the pub in the first place

Do you not think people should be allowed some freedoms?"

how does saying nobody forced you yo go to the pub equate to thinking we shouldn’t have some freedom ?

liverpool

how does saying nobody forced you yo go to the pub equate to thinking we shouldn’t have some freedom ?"

Maybe freedom isn't the right word.

People are struggling as it is..they should be allowed some...down time.

I'm very happy and comfortable up here on my horse though...

[Removed by poster at 27/09/20 19:28:29]

how does saying nobody forced you yo go to the pub equate to thinking we shouldn’t have some freedom ?

People are struggling as it is..they should be allowed some...down time."

i agree , but i dont think asking you to go home instead of having a party in the streets at closing time is too much to ask in exchange for that down time ... its comes down to we can all enjoy a little, or a small selfish subsection can take it to far til we end up with tighter restrictions where we all get nothing ... but much like the stockpiling thread i guess for many its me and mine first and to hell with everyone else

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

i agree , but i dont think asking you to go home instead of having a party in the streets at closing time is too much to ask in exchange for that down time ... its comes down to we can all enjoy a little, or a small selfish subsection can take it to far til we end up with tighter restrictions where we all get nothing ... but much like the stockpiling thread i guess for many its me and mine first and to hell with everyone else "

liverpool

i agree , but i dont think asking you to go home instead of having a party in the streets at closing time is too much to ask in exchange for that down time ... its comes down to we can all enjoy a little, or a small selfish subsection can take it to far til we end up with tighter restrictions where we all get nothing ... but much like the stockpiling thread i guess for many its me and mine first and to hell with everyone else "

I don't disagree.People should take responsibility but the gmnt are asking people to be sensible after they have been drinking for 4 or 5 hours.

Even so most probslly will bit there will be a no that wont.

I said last week ,to me it makes more sense to keep the pubs open as they can enforce the social distancing rules.

It really depends on your level of cynicism I suppose.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

You either keep them open or you shut them...as lammy said their is no science whatsoever on this...

Oh no I beg to different the government has guaranteed us there's sound science behind it. Not shown us any but come on we can trust them."

nope we can't not even with a bargepole

"It’s not compulsory to go to the pub in the first place Agreed ....pubs are gonna take it hard for the next 6 months (if they even stay open) ... with people giving Mickey mouse names up on arrival and fake phone numbers track /trace is doomed as many dont wanna be involved with any chance of detection"

I visited a bar at the weekend & they asked for a passport or driving licence as I.D. no one was allowed in without showing that!

To begin with I was a little surprised but now can understand why "official" I.D. is needed as track & trace information.

That way it avoids people giving fake names!

Still all a bit "Big Brother" is watching you. I am not a fan of this.

Tin town

"It’s not compulsory to go to the pub in the first place Agreed ....pubs are gonna take it hard for the next 6 months (if they even stay open) ... with people giving Mickey mouse names up on arrival and fake phone numbers track /trace is doomed as many dont wanna be involved with any chance of detection

I visited a bar at the weekend & they asked for a passport or driving licence as I.D. no one was allowed in without showing that!

To begin with I was a little surprised but now can understand why "official" I.D. is needed as track & trace information.

Still all a bit "Big Brother" is watching you. I am not a fan of this. "

I agree. But here's the rub. If we keep doing what we are doing the Infection rates will be out of control in a week. So we need to change. Its that simple. We can argue and disagree but we must change. Or we will get what we have always got.

By *alsalltrevorMan  over a year ago

Cannock/Walsall/Wolverhampton

10 o'clock closing is harsh to shift workers who finish at 10 o'clock who may of enjoyed a pint after work. We are now banned from getting a drink in the week altogether.

North West

"It’s not compulsory to go to the pub in the first place Agreed ....pubs are gonna take it hard for the next 6 months (if they even stay open) ... with people giving Mickey mouse names up on arrival and fake phone numbers track /trace is doomed as many dont wanna be involved with any chance of detection

Still all a bit "Big Brother" is watching you. I am not a fan of this. "

Not everyone has a driving licence or a passport though. E.g my son is 18, not learned to drive yet so has no licence. His passport (a child's one) expired while he was still 17 during the lockdown. The passport office have not yet issued him with the full 10yr adult passport he applied for, so he has only an expired 5yr passport as ID. Some places are accepting it, but many are not because it's expired. How do you prove anything if you lack these documents? We have never been compelled to possess either passport nor driving licence and so there are lots of people who simply don't have them.

Not everyone has a driving licence or a passport though. E.g my son is 18, not learned to drive yet so has no licence. His passport (a child's one) expired while he was still 17 during the lockdown. The passport office have not yet issued him with the full 10yr adult passport he applied for, so he has only an expired 5yr passport as ID. Some places are accepting it, but many are not because it's expired. How do you prove anything if you lack these documents? We have never been compelled to possess either passport nor driving licence and so there are lots of people who simply don't have them. "

Just be careful as they would love a reason to bring a national IDcard into the frame...

Just start your night out earlier ! Like from 10 in the morning, and on the plus side of covid at the end of the 10pm night out now that all the students are locked up...you will be first in the queue for your takeaway kebab.

NW London

"10pm closing time seems to be causing everyone to leave the pub at the same time, often with a itch to carry on the party else where. As apposed to people leaving at various times throughout the night once they've had enough. And no one could see this would happen?

Just start your night out earlier ! Like from 10 in the morning, and on the plus side of covid at the end of the 10pm night out now that all the students are locked up...you will be first in the queue for your takeaway kebab."

You won't. Takeaways have to be delivery only after 10pm

Tin town

Not everyone has a driving licence or a passport though. E.g my son is 18, not learned to drive yet so has no licence. His passport (a child's one) expired while he was still 17 during the lockdown. The passport office have not yet issued him with the full 10yr adult passport he applied for, so he has only an expired 5yr passport as ID. Some places are accepting it, but many are not because it's expired. How do you prove anything if you lack these documents? We have never been compelled to possess either passport nor driving licence and so there are lots of people who simply don't have them.

Just be careful as they would love a reason to bring a national IDcard into the frame..."

And a national Id card is a bad thing?

Just be careful as they would love a reason to bring a national IDcard into the frame..."

its not a legal requirement at the moment to show ID for entry so he could just try somewhere else but i imagine covid or no covid he would have had the same issue at age 18 trying to get any establishment to serve him alcohol and the policy is challenge anyone who looks under 25 ... an 18 year old needing ID is not a new issue

i dont understand the fear of ID cards either ... if you already drive/ travel/have a bank/ pay tax ... the government already have access to all your information anyway ... what about your identity is that you want to hide

liverpool

Just be careful as they would love a reason to bring a national IDcard into the frame...

And a national Id card is a bad thing? "

Why do we need an I'd card?

Coventry

I can't see the government doing a U-turn on the 10pm thing (even though that would totally in character for them)? So if they can't u-turn and there continues to be pressure for action (especially if numbers continue to head in wrong direction) whats the next move? Pubs, clubs, venues etc closed? Could complaining about the 10pm silliness force the governments hand?

North West

its not a legal requirement at the moment to show ID for entry so he could just try somewhere else but i imagine covid or no covid he would have had the same issue at age 18 trying to get any establishment to serve him alcohol and the policy is challenge anyone who looks under 25 ... an 18 year old needing ID is not a new issue

i dont understand the fear of ID cards either ... if you already drive/ travel/have a bank/ pay tax ... the government already have access to all your information anyway ... what about your identity is that you want to hide "

Problem is that he CAN'T get ID though. He could apply for a provisional licence - how long would that take and many places don't accept them. His passport expired in April and he still doesn't have a new one. He has uni photograph ID and you have to be 18 to attend an English uni, but obviously places don't accept that either. He's not really going out drinking, but it posed an issue with him buying knives for use in his flat, for example. He's a young looking chap

Tin town

Why do we need an I'd card?"

Apparently to provide Id for 18 year olds who have neither drivingicense or passport and need to prove they are over 18 to gain entry to a pub.

North West

Apparently to provide Id for 18 year olds who have neither drivingicense or passport and need to prove they are over 18 to gain entry to a pub. "

Not just 18yos though. If we have to show photo ID for track and trace to enter any hospitality venue, presumably anyone of any age needs the ID?

Tin town

i dont understand the fear of ID cards either ... if you already drive/ travel/have a bank/ pay tax ... the government already have access to all your information anyway ... what about your identity is that you want to hide

Problem is that he CAN'T get ID though. He could apply for a provisional licence - how long would that take and many places don't accept them. His passport expired in April and he still doesn't have a new one. He has uni photograph ID and you have to be 18 to attend an English uni, but obviously places don't accept that either. He's not really going out drinking, but it posed an issue with him buying knives for use in his flat, for example. He's a young looking chap "

How long to apply for a provisional? No idea but can guarantee it will take a really long time if he never applies.

Re purchasing knives... Given the growing issue with knife crime are you suggesting he should be able to purchase them without valid photo Id? Or just that because he has neither license nor passport neither of which he has applied for, he has to find a way to survive without sharp knives. Don't mean it to sound as flippant but just trying understand what the issue is with pubs and knife sellers asking for photo id?

You either keep them open or you shut them...as lammy said their is no science whatsoever on this..."

Lammy is a fucking clueless prick.

It's very simple understandable having the 10pm rule, you don't need fucking science before being clued up enough to understand common sense.

North West

Problem is that he CAN'T get ID though. He could apply for a provisional licence - how long would that take and many places don't accept them. His passport expired in April and he still doesn't have a new one. He has uni photograph ID and you have to be 18 to attend an English uni, but obviously places don't accept that either. He's not really going out drinking, but it posed an issue with him buying knives for use in his flat, for example. He's a young looking chap

How long to apply for a provisional? No idea but can guarantee it will take a really long time if he never applies.

Re purchasing knives... Given the growing issue with knife crime are you suggesting he should be able to purchase them without valid photo Id? Or just that because he has neither license nor passport neither of which he has applied for, he has to find a way to survive without sharp knives. Don't mean it to sound as flippant but just trying understand what the issue is with pubs and knife sellers asking for photo id? "

Christ. I have no issues with ID. How are you supposed to supply it if you can't get it?

North West

He's got an out of date passport and that's it. It's still him, still his DOB but places don't accept out of date ID and HM Govt isn't issuing new ones. How do you prove your ID in the corona era?

Tin town

Apparently to provide Id for 18 year olds who have neither drivingicense or passport and need to prove they are over 18 to gain entry to a pub.

Not just 18yos though. If we have to show photo ID for track and trace to enter any hospitality venue, presumably anyone of any age needs the ID? "

Sounds like it for that venue. Inconvenient perhaps but not a big issue. Nightclubs frequently Id and in some places even retina scan. (yeha I was surprised by that... And objected... But if I wanted entry... I had to do it)

Not just 18yos though. If we have to show photo ID for track and trace to enter any hospitality venue, presumably anyone of any age needs the ID? "

ive not been out this month because i was on holiday then in quarantine but last month they were only asking for one lot of ID per party ... not sure if that difference was scottish rules or if places are just getting stricter... at risk of joining the blame gang i wonder if the Mickey mouse crew have once again spoiled it for everyone

"Think they were banking on the common sense of the public to make it work. Once again, the public has proved them wrong... Anyone surprised? "

Not in the slightest only requires common decency

They're trying to help businesses, social health and mental health it's only people that cock it up and can't see the bigger picture

liverpool

Apparently to provide Id for 18 year olds who have neither drivingicense or passport and need to prove they are over 18 to gain entry to a pub. "

Dont they still do those I am 18 type card things like I needed to have due to my boyish good looks?

Tin town

"He's got an out of date passport and that's it. It's still him, still his DOB but places don't accept out of date ID and HM Govt isn't issuing new ones. How do you prove your ID in the corona era? "

Ahh OK. Sorry wasn't aware they aren't issuing any passports or licenses. Im surprised that hasn't made the news with all the glee media take in pointing out our imperfections in the midst of a crisis.

the wetlands

"10 o'clock closing is harsh to shift workers who finish at 10 o'clock who may of enjoyed a pint after work. We are now banned from getting a drink in the week altogether. "

11 o'clock closing is unfair to those finishing at 11

"He's got an out of date passport and that's it. It's still him, still his DOB but places don't accept out of date ID and HM Govt isn't issuing new ones. How do you prove your ID in the corona era? "

i think they would probably accept an out of date adult passport but easy to see why not with a kids picture ... he has likely changed so much since the kids photo that it could easily be passed around his underage friends and anyone use it if places were accepting ... with their license at risk even pre covid bars would have been cautious with something like this

Tin town

Dont they still do those I am 18 type card things like I needed to have due to my boyish good looks?

"

I'm sure you still need it Lionel,!

liverpool

Lammy is a fucking clueless prick.

It's very simple understandable having the 10pm rule, you don't need fucking science before being clued up enough to understand common sense. "

Just cos you understand it doesnt mean it's common sense.

North West

"He's got an out of date passport and that's it. It's still him, still his DOB but places don't accept out of date ID and HM Govt isn't issuing new ones. How do you prove your ID in the corona era?

Ahh OK. Sorry wasn't aware they aren't issuing any passports or licenses. Im surprised that hasn't made the news with all the glee media take in pointing out our imperfections in the midst of a crisis.

"

Go and read what it says on the passport office site about renewals and this is his first adult, 10yr passport. His previous child's 5yr one expired in April when he was still 17.

"He's got an out of date passport and that's it. It's still him, still his DOB but places don't accept out of date ID and HM Govt isn't issuing new ones. How do you prove your ID in the corona era?

"

i have a friend that got a passport last week ... we are going on holiday in november ... are you sure there isnt a different issue with it?

Re purchasing knives... Given the growing issue with knife crime are you suggesting he should be able to purchase them without valid photo Id? Or just that because he has neither license nor passport neither of which he has applied for, he has to find a way to survive without sharp knives. Don't mean it to sound as flippant but just trying understand what the issue is with pubs and knife sellers asking for photo id? "

I had to leave a pizza cutter behind the other day because I didn't have ID, the lady at the till even asked me to pull my mask down for a second and got a second opinion from her co-worker but they both decided I didn't look a day over 20 (it was Challenge 25), don't know whether to be inconvenienced or flattered

Was also asked for ID by the delivery driver when I ordered a bench scraper off Amazon. It is a little ridiculous but at the same time with all these knife crime headlines you can't really blame companies for taking precautions.

North West

i think they would probably accept an out of date adult passport but easy to see why not with a kids picture ... he has likely changed so much since the kids photo that it could easily be passed around his underage friends and anyone use it if places were accepting ... with their license at risk even pre covid bars would have been cautious with something like this "

TK Maxx would not accept it for the purchase of kitchen knives. Tesco would not accept it for the purchase of a pack of beer.

liverpool

I'm sure you still need it Lionel,! "

North West

i have a friend that got a passport last week ... we are going on holiday in november ... are you sure there isnt a different issue with it? "

He applied, he heard nothing.

liverpool

They're trying to help businesses, social health and mental health it's only people that cock it up and can't see the bigger picture "

Have we got any actual proof that the majority of people are ignoring this rule?

Tin town

Go and read what it says on the passport office site about renewals and this is his first adult, 10yr passport. His previous child's 5yr one expired in April when he was still 17."

Will do that. Everydays a school day. Unless you're at school obvs.

They're trying to help businesses, social health and mental health it's only people that cock it up and can't see the bigger picture

Have we got any actual proof that the majority of people are ignoring this rule?"

Pics of Oxford Circus last night

"

They are issuing passports!

North West

They are issuing passports! "

They might be now, they are working through the backlog, presumably. He applied in May and has no new passport. No request for additional data, nothing! No passport.

They are issuing passports! "

yeah maybe should chase it up might just bd that his paperwork has gone missing... post office do a check and send service that usually speeds things up

North West

I went to apply for my new one a few weeks back and at that time, the passport office was saying only apply if urgent. Mine wasn't, although its expired, so I didn't apply. The information has changed since I went on there last.

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

The government had to be seen to be addressing the problem of transmission in the hospitality trade, yet they didn't want to close them all together, so its not bad enough to close the pubs, restaurants but bad enough to close an few hours earlier regardless of the added problems it is causing. Again, absolutely not idea why, it's another bizarre decision

liverpool

Have we got any actual proof that the majority of people are ignoring this rule?

Pics of Oxford Circus last night "

Thats one.

There are over 50 million people who live in this country.

North West

"I went to apply for my new one a few weeks back and at that time, the passport office was saying only apply if urgent. Mine wasn't, although its expired, so I didn't apply. The information has changed since I went on there last. "

This was the info I read only a couple of weeks ago:

"The Passport Office website currently asks people not to apply for a new passport unless they're travelling before September 2020 or need a passport urgently for compassionate reasons"

"The government had to be seen to be addressing the problem of transmission in the hospitality trade, yet they didn't want to close them all together, so its not bad enough to close the pubs, restaurants but bad enough to close an few hours earlier regardless of the added problems it is causing. Again, absolutely not idea why, it's another bizarre decision "

Their reasoning was that the longer people spend in pubs, the d*unker they get and the more social distancing goes out the window. I guess they didn't foresee the street gatherings and houseparties but the alternative was to shut pubs fully and have the hospitality industry take another nosedive... It's a catch 22.

Thats one.

There are over 50 million people who live in this country."

And funnily enough they're not all having their nights out photographed. If the decision making of even a small number of those 50m is akin to the general consensus of a large percentage of people in the virus threads then you can be sure it's happening all over.

liverpool

"The government had to be seen to be addressing the problem of transmission in the hospitality trade, yet they didn't want to close them all together, so its not bad enough to close the pubs, restaurants but bad enough to close an few hours earlier regardless of the added problems it is causing. Again, absolutely not idea why, it's another bizarre decision

Their reasoning was that the longer people spend in pubs, the d*unker they get and the more social distancing goes out the window. I guess they didn't foresee the street gatherings and houseparties but the alternative was to shut pubs fully and have the hospitality industry take another nosedive... It's a catch 22. "

No the alternative was to keep the pubs open longer in an environment which can be more controlled.

And people could stagger when they leave.

Does everyone suddenly become d*unk at 10 ?

liverpool

Thats one.

And funnily enough they're not all having their nights out photographed. If the decision making of even a small number of those 50m is akin to the general consensus of a large percentage of people in the virus threads then you can be sure it's happening all over. "

No.

You cant be sure at all.

You are saying because its happening in 1 place it must be happening in every single pub up and down the country?

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

They might be now, they are working through the backlog, presumably. He applied in May and has no new passport. No request for additional data, nothing! No passport. "

I applied for my lad’s passport first week of March, it arrived two weeks ago, so they have some backlog to clear

North West

They might be now, they are working through the backlog, presumably. He applied in May and has no new passport. No request for additional data, nothing! No passport.

I applied for my lad’s passport first week of March, it arrived two weeks ago, so they have some backlog to clear "

Thanks for confirming, Spurs. He's obviously got a bit to wait then

Thats one.

And funnily enough they're not all having their nights out photographed. If the decision making of even a small number of those 50m is akin to the general consensus of a large percentage of people in the virus threads then you can be sure it's happening all over.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

You are saying because its happening in 1 place it must be happening in every single pub up and down the country?"

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying.

liverpool

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

You are saying because its happening in 1 place it must be happening in every single pub up and down the country?

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying. "

Well you simply dont know that for a fact.

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Well you simply dont know that for a fact."

And you don't know for a fact that it's NOT happening. Why do you think we needed a second lockdown in the North? Did you not see the pics of everyone going for a night out and ramming up the bars and clubs on the last night before the northern lockdown? Have you not seen all the student parties that got busted and now are being forced to isolate? Mind, I do feel bad for them as I'd be distraught if I wasn't allowed to party as a fresher but at the end of the day I have family members who depend on me to stay responsible and no night out could ever be more important than their literal LIVES.

liverpool

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

And you don't know for a fact that it's NOT happening. Why do you think we needed a second lockdown in the North? Did you not see the pics of everyone going for a night out and ramming up the bars and clubs on the last night before the northern lockdown? Have you not seen all the student parties that got busted and now are being forced to isolate? Mind, I do feel bad for them as I'd be distraught if I wasn't allowed to party as a fresher but at the end of the day I have family members who depend on me to stay responsible and no night out could ever be more important than their literal LIVES. "

Lets be honest here.

They are in a lose situation.

Infections go up and they blame people

Infections go down and they take the credit

Its almost like they planned it .

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

And you don't know for a fact that it's NOT happening. Why do you think we needed a second lockdown in the North? Did you not see the pics of everyone going for a night out and ramming up the bars and clubs on the last night before the northern lockdown? Have you not seen all the student parties that got busted and now are being forced to isolate? Mind, I do feel bad for them as I'd be distraught if I wasn't allowed to party as a fresher but at the end of the day I have family members who depend on me to stay responsible and no night out could ever be more important than their literal LIVES.

Lets be honest here.

Its almost like they planned it ."

Yes the government planned a pandemic. They planned for 40k+ of their own people to die. They planned for the hospitality industry to die a slow death and plunge the country THEY are responsible for into crippling debt.

Here's an idea. What would you have done if you were in charge of the country? How would you have kept everyone alive and uninfected, kept the economy going all while keeping pubs and shops open? Huh? What's the magic answer that makes everyone happy and not complain about the government?

here

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Its almost like they planned it ."

I'm sure they didn't plan on the idiots lacking in personal responsibility in Liverpool to instigate a street party after the 10pm closing time.

So it would appear it is happening in more than one location....

i dont understand the fear of ID cards either ... if you already drive/ travel/have a bank/ pay tax ... the government already have access to all your information anyway ... what about your identity is that you want to hide "

I'm quite happy how I identify thanks.

As for the ID cards well let's say I'm of a generation that fought off them being introduced many years ago...we never thought about the internet coming and blowing it up though

liverpool

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Yes the government planned a pandemic. They planned for 40k+ of their own people to die. They planned for the hospitality industry to die a slow death and plunge the country THEY are responsible for into crippling debt.

Here's an idea. What would you have done if you were in charge of the country? How would you have kept everyone alive and uninfected, kept the economy going all while keeping pubs and shops open? Huh? What's the magic answer that makes everyone happy and not complain about the government? "

Erm.

Sorry to burst your little bubble but where exactly did I say they planned the pandemic?

I said they planned the curfew.

And saying 'well what you do?is about the weakest argument I can think off'

They are in power and thus, they are responsible for handling the crises.

liverpool

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

I'm sure they didn't plan on the idiots lacking in personal responsibility in Liverpool to instigate a street party after the 10pm closing time.

So it would appear it is happening in more than one location....

"

Right

So they though..we will close the pub at 10 and everyone will go home in a civil manner and they never once anticipated any potential issues with that?

And that's 2 locations in the whole country.

I'm sure there were plenty more but that doesnt mean everyone is doing it.

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Here's an idea. What would you have done if you were in charge of the country? How would you have kept everyone alive and uninfected, kept the economy going all while keeping pubs and shops open? Huh? What's the magic answer that makes everyone happy and not complain about the government?

Erm.

Sorry to burst your little bubble but where exactly did I say they planned the pandemic?

They are in power and thus, they are responsible for handling the crises."

And we are responsible for contributing to it and making sure their management of the crisis is effective.

And yeah ofc they planned the curfew. They planned any measure that would ensure this CRISIS dies down.

You only think my argument is weak because you don't have an answer. Calling someone's argument weak only applies for when you don't have anything of value to rebut with. If we are talking about weak arguments I could just as easily call out yours about "if it's happening behind closed doors that means it's definitely not happening". Please. There's ignorance, there's naivety and there's just plain stubbornness. Evidently some people are all three.

Anyway the mentality on these virus threads seriously destroys my faith in the intelligence of humanity so I'm out

liverpool

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Erm.

And we are responsible for contributing to it and making sure their management of the crisis is effective.

And yeah ofc they planned the curfew. They planned any measure that would ensure this CRISIS dies down.

You only think my argument is weak because you don't have an answer. Calling someone's argument weak only applies for when you don't have anything of value to rebut with. If we are talking about weak arguments I could just as easily call out yours about "if it's happening behind closed doors that means it's definitely not happening". Please. There's ignorance, there's naivety and there's just plain stubbornness. Evidently some people are all three.

Anyway the mentality on these virus threads seriously destroys my faith in the intelligence of humanity so I'm out "

It's a forum for a reason

If you cant have a debate that's your issue.

If their measures have been effective why do we have one of the worst death rates In Europe?or is that all our fault too?

I've told you my argument.Leave The pubs open longer so a more managed environment can be maintained and people can stagger when they leave.

By *m A FuckerMan  over a year ago

kingswood,surrey

Friday just gone at 10.10pm in the high streets was like nye..hour later ghostown....

here

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Erm.

Anyway the mentality on these virus threads seriously destroys my faith in the intelligence of humanity so I'm out

If their measures have been effective why do we have one of the worst death rates In Europe?or is that all our fault too?

I've told you my argument.Leave The pubs open longer so a more managed environment can be maintained and people can stagger when they leave."

That still requires people to have self-control and personal responsibility .

Timing isn't going to make a difference to those who are lacking in these simple attributes .

Winter is coming

liverpool

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Erm.

I've told you my argument.Leave The pubs open longer so a more managed environment can be maintained and people can stagger when they leave.

Timing isn't going to make a difference to those who are lacking in these simple attributes ."

I never said people shouldnt have self control (although it's a bit harder after 8 pints)kicking everyone out at 10 was bound to have issues.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I remember when they all closed at 10.30 or 11.00 they changed it to stop everyone piling onto the streets all at once and did work to a point.So it is creating a problem we had got rid of mainly

here

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Erm.

Timing isn't going to make a difference to those who are lacking in these simple attributes .

I never said people shouldnt have self control (although it's a bit harder after 8 pints)kicking everyone out at 10 was bound to have issues."

Your argument relies on you thinking that if a location stays open past 10 then people will be protected and then when the location does close they will act differently to the way they would react had the doors closed earlier.

You are very naive to think this .

People will either act responsibly or they won't - time doesn't change this.

Look at how the issues surrounding chucking out time have made some town and city centres a no go area - people have always acted the way they want to - regardless of whether it's 10pm, midnight or 2am

liverpool

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Erm.

I never said people shouldnt have self control (although it's a bit harder after 8 pints)kicking everyone out at 10 was bound to have issues.

Your argument relies on you thinking that if a location stays open past 10 then people will be protected and then when the location does close they will act differently to the way they would react had the doors closed earlier.

Look at how the issues surrounding chucking out time have made some town and city centres a no go area - people have always acted the way they want to - regardless of whether it's 10pm, midnight or 2am

"

No.

If a venue stays open later that safe environment Is maintained and it avoids a situation where you have a pub full of d*unk people are not leaving at the same time?

Do you think when they planned this not 1 person pointed out the potential problem?

It's been mentioned several times that one of the reasons later licences were granted was to stop everyone spilling out at 2 am..resulting in fights etc.

We seem to have gone back on that.

here

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Erm.

No.

If a venue stays open later that safe environment Is maintained and it avoids a situation where you have a pub full of d*unk people are not leaving at the same time?

Do you think when they planned this not 1 person pointed out the potential problem?

It's been mentioned several times that one of the reasons later licences were granted was to stop everyone spilling out at 2 am..resulting in fights etc.

We seem to have gone back on that."

What time do you think is better so that when people leave they will act responsibly ?

By *ustfun 1984Man  over a year ago

exeter

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Erm.

No.

What time do you think is better so that when people leave they will act responsibly ?

"

It's pretty simple alcohol and social distance don't go together

Or is that to simple

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Greece have been shuttling bars and restaurants at midnight for a few weeks. Some people then went elsewhere, including outside, to continue but without official observation

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Those who won’t follow the rules, won’t at 10pm or 11pm.

Booting people our at 10 pm is hugely flawed.

There is of course an argument to say people need to take responsibility but an ultra cynical view would be the policy was introduced so the blame could be placed on people.

Not by me though."

The lot in charge have form for shifting blame and not taking responsibility for much, if anything.

By *d6869Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen

[Removed by poster at 27/09/20 23:52:25]

Aberdeen

My feelings as well.

"

Aberdeen

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying. "

Prove it

By *orace99Man  over a year ago

York

"Anyone remember one of the arguments for extending pub opening hours beyond the old 11pm, back in the Tony Blair days? It was to reduce the mass dispersing of people out of pubs to cause trouble on the streets. It wasn't the only reason but forward, but certainly was one.

We're back to the same, its just now at 10pm rather than 11pm."

its a kind of disappointing view / reality of society that its not just generally accepted but actually expected that if we have to all leave a location at 10 oclock at night there will be trouble in the streets

the people who are saying the govt planned this so they could pin the blame ... has it not occurred to anyone that they could plan all they like but there would be nothing to pin blame on if we didn't act this way

liverpool

Thats one.

No.

You cant be sure at all.

Lets be honest here.

Erm.

No.

"

There isnt one.

But the gmnt have seemingly said the 10'o clock is the time that people become too d*unk to social distance.

here

" There isn't one "

Correct

NW London

Interestingly, figures from public health England suggest that prior to 10pm curfew only 3% of covid infections were linked to restaurants, pubs and bars.

Oh please. The rules are clear. People are purposefully choosing not follow them. They are setting themselves up, not the government. "

Exactly this

" There isn't one

Correct

"

So why bring it in ?

By *atch and blossomCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

There have been calls to review the 10pm as public transport is rammed. People on the streets and people more likely to go and party from home

I doesn't take a genius to work out that would happen.

I wish people would stop blaming the young who are at low risk for spreading this. It is scapegoating nonsense

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

"

That's incorrect we have been purchasing both passports and driving licences for unemployed clients on our support programmes all thoughout this year including during the full lockdown. The only real delay was back in April early May.

KJ

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

And the people peacefully protesting whilst social distancing got rounded up so they were then breaking those rules, then they were fined for being forced to do so?

liverpool

" There isn't one

Correct

So why bring it in ?"

Exactly.

North West

That's incorrect we have been purchasing both passports and driving licences for unemployed clients on our support programmes all thoughout this year including during the full lockdown. The only real delay was back in April early May.

KJ"

The delays in April and May mean a passport applied for in May has still not arrived and the intended owner has now moved away to uni, but it will be delivered here (eventually?) This has been corroborated by someone else who applied in March. Might your clients be in some sort of priority group, perhaps?

Tin town

"There have been calls to review the 10pm as public transport is rammed. People on the streets and people more likely to go and party from home

I wish people would stop blaming the young who are at low risk for spreading this. It is scapegoating nonsense "

It is truly astonishing that people will find an argument to "resist" in absolutely anything. We are very far from the only nation to implement curfew and especially curfew on sales of alcohol. It doesnt take a genius to work out that the more d*unk people get, the longer they socialise together for... The more the risk of spreading to soneone else. What we weren't expecting is that some of the great British public are now choosing to behave in ways they didn't before covid. People generally weren't going out on a sunday night prior to covid and having parties. And yet now... Its to be expected and we should blame the govt for it. This govt have been crap but seriously some of the stuff that they are being blamed for is preposterous.

liverpool

"There have been calls to review the 10pm as public transport is rammed. People on the streets and people more likely to go and party from home

I wish people would stop blaming the young who are at low risk for spreading this. It is scapegoating nonsense

It is truly astonishing that people will find an argument to "resist" in absolutely anything. We are very far from the only nation to implement curfew and especially curfew on sales of alcohol. It doesnt take a genius to work out that the more d*unk people get, the longer they socialise together for... The more the risk of spreading to soneone else. What we weren't expecting is that some of the great British public are now choosing to behave in ways they didn't before covid. People generally weren't going out on a sunday night prior to covid and having parties. And yet now... Its to be expected and we should blame the govt for it. This govt have been crap but seriously some of the stuff that they are being blamed for is preposterous. "

Its utterly ridiculous to think that kicking every one out the pub at 10 wasn't going to cause issues.

Anyone could have predicted that.

By *rkiteMan  over a year ago

wakefield

Have to admit don't know why all the fuss about with 10pm closing. I grew up when pubs shut at 3pm to open again at early evening and normal closing time was 10pm so you could get last bus home or go to working men's club as they sometimes stayed open till 11pm after that nothing was open not even take aways. Has for ID your NI Number is your ID through life. I find it sad that people moan instead of just sticking to the rules it's not hard to do. My daughter works with covid patients and has told me it's not a nice illness to have young or old.

Tin town

It is truly astonishing that people will find an argument to "resist" in absolutely anything. We are very far from the only nation to implement curfew and especially curfew on sales of alcohol. It doesnt take a genius to work out that the more d*unk people get, the longer they socialise together for... The more the risk of spreading to soneone else. What we weren't expecting is that some of the great British public are now choosing to behave in ways they didn't before covid. People generally weren't going out on a sunday night prior to covid and having parties. And yet now... Its to be expected and we should blame the govt for it. This govt have been crap but seriously some of the stuff that they are being blamed for is preposterous.

Its utterly ridiculous to think that kicking every one out the pub at 10 wasn't going to cause issues.

Anyone could have predicted that."

On a Thursday Friday Saturday maybe.... But on school nights..not really. Maybe what they need is the equivalent of 'eat out to help out" but this time... "go home sober to help out" and give them a few free tinnies. .. Seems this govts modus operandii.... Throw money at people to motivate them.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

So now they are talking of closing the pubs and restaurants for 2weeks, what good will that do?

"So now they are talking of closing the pubs and restaurants for 2weeks, what good will that do?"

I think it's about taking the opportunity of the schools having a extended 2 week break.

Let's be honest schools and bars are the main places this is transferring.

Now the jobs and loss of income are another thing that needs to be managed.

They only seem to have half a plan...

chelmsford

We saw the masses on the streets in York and other places, at 10 pm, so it's not working...people are given the opportunity to go to the pub, if it's abused, they will just close them again and nobody wins then..

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"So now they are talking of closing the pubs and restaurants for 2weeks, what good will that do?

I think it's about taking the opportunity of the schools having a extended 2 week break.

Let's be honest schools and bars are the main places this is transferring.

Now the jobs and loss of income are another thing that needs to be managed.

They only seem to have half a plan..."

Do we know that schools and pubs are the main source of the spread?

I’m not thick, I admit though that I have given up

listening to too much news, but nine months or so of this crisis and we still seem to know so little. We ‘suspect’ and as good citizens we do our bit as instructed- hand washing, distance, masks etc, but we don’t really know. Whole is like to blame our government, it seems that most ‘free’ countries are still a mess and that the medical experts are floundering. In fairness to them, although they are experts they’ve never experienced anything like this before.

Fucked off and confused of Essex!

chelmsford

It's most likely to spread in large groups of people, where there is little or no social distancing. Look at the universities, is it Glasgow with 600 infections?

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

Could easilyt see it happen .. strange thge government and their advisors particularly can't work things out in a sensible way .,

My suggestion would be to do one of 3 things / or some kind of similar thing !

Stay open as normal and trust to luck .. but with maybe a 30 minute evacuation limit in town centres .

Shut down altogether .. unlikley given the massive job losses

Or

Simply schedule people in for a given number of hours to ONE pub .. that way people dont all leave in one go ..

For example maybe 2 hr slots? .. you come in .. have a few drinks and you go home . Track and trace could be modified not to allow you to go anywhere else on that evening . So you go home and dont make a fool of yourself , get arrested etc etc .. .

Whatever happens we cant see the same stupid behaviour as we did last weekend .

chelmsford

I think they could open later if people just went home, when they left the pub, but that won't happen

"Could easilyt see it happen .. strange thge government and their advisors particularly can't work things out in a sensible way .,

My suggestion would be to do one of 3 things / or some kind of similar thing !

Stay open as normal and trust to luck .. but with maybe a 30 minute evacuation limit in town centres .

Shut down altogether .. unlikley given the massive job losses

Or

Simply schedule people in for a given number of hours to ONE pub .. that way people dont all leave in one go ..

For example maybe 2 hr slots? .. you come in .. have a few drinks and you go home . Track and trace could be modified not to allow you to go anywhere else on that evening . So you go home and dont make a fool of yourself , get arrested etc etc .. .

Whatever happens we cant see the same stupid behaviour as we did last weekend .

"

As you're demonstrating with this post, there is no elegant, foolproof solution to keeping the economy open and stopping the spread of the virus at the same time.

I'm not saying the govt is doing a good job, but coming up with ideas on an internet forum is a tad easier than making the call in real life.

the wetlands

Is this what life has become, dependant on an extra hour of pub opening times ?

It's a sad reflection of our priorities.

chelmsford

"Is this what life has become, dependant on an extra hour of pub opening times ?

It's a sad reflection of our priorities."

It has for some....just showing kicking out time in Liverpool, on the news...hmmm...

Tin town

"Is this what life has become, dependant on an extra hour of pub opening times ?

It's a sad reflection of our priorities."

It's a disgrace I tell you... Stealing the hard won freedoms of my grandparents so that the totalitarian state can Rob me of my rights to drink till 11 in the evening on a work night. Thin tip of the wedge... Can't you see...? How dare they ask me to be careful and limit my social encounters. Etc...

I think the issue is that this 10pm closing time has been decided by a bunch of people most of whom have never seen the inside of a city bar and haven't got a clue of the pub culture. There is no denying that alcohol does nothing to aid social distancing but there must be better ways of regulating pubs. I am old enough to remember years ago afternoon closing at 2pm and then evening closure at 10pm. This resulted in more people downing their drinks in a shorter period ending with more people d*unk. Indeed when all day drinking was introduced it was found through studies that the same amount of alcohol was consumed but over a longer period of time and resulted in more of a responsible drinking culture. I think the anger of the now earlier closing time by landlords and their customers just reflects on another decision by people not qualified to make them.

chelmsford

All day drinking hours certainly seemed to work from that perspective. I don't know how well these pubs work with the Covid rules, probably some better than others, the problem seems to be when customers leave the pubs, it's impossible to police, but it will, no doubt, end up with more local lockdowns, nobody gains from that.

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

"

I think the issue is that this 10pm closing time has been decided by a bunch of people most of whom have never seen the inside of a city bar and haven't got a clue of the pub culture. There is no denying that alcohol does nothing to aid social distancing but there must be better ways of regulating pubs. I am old enough to remember years ago afternoon closing at 2pm and then evening closure at 10pm. This resulted in more people downing their drinks in a shorter period ending with more people d*unk. Indeed when all day drinking was introduced it was found through studies that the same amount of alcohol was consumed but over a longer period of time and resulted in more of a responsible drinking culture. I think the anger of the now earlier closing time by landlords and their customers just reflects on another decision by people not qualified to make them. "

In Madrid and surrounding areas, all businesses have to close by 10pm. In Netherlands, all bars and restaurants have to close by 10pm. In France, bars and restaurants have to close by 10 pm in 15 cities, including Paris. In Marseilles, they have had to close for 15 days. In Copenhagen and surrounding areas, all bars, restaurants and night clubs must close at 10 pm. In Belgium, cafes and bars must close at 11pm and all other businesses selling food and drink must close by 10pm. In Portugal, all commercial establishments must close by 11pm.

Most of these places also have much stricter rules on the wearing of face masks etc.

We still have all day drinking in this country, is it really such a problem to be asked to finish at 10 for what hopefully will be a relatively short period in order to help combat a pandemic?

Tin town

"

I think the issue is that this 10pm closing time has been decided by a bunch of people most of whom have never seen the inside of a city bar and haven't got a clue of the pub culture. There is no denying that alcohol does nothing to aid social distancing but there must be better ways of regulating pubs. I am old enough to remember years ago afternoon closing at 2pm and then evening closure at 10pm. This resulted in more people downing their drinks in a shorter period ending with more people d*unk. Indeed when all day drinking was introduced it was found through studies that the same amount of alcohol was consumed but over a longer period of time and resulted in more of a responsible drinking culture. I think the anger of the now earlier closing time by landlords and their customers just reflects on another decision by people not qualified to make them.

In Madrid and surrounding areas, all businesses have to close by 10pm. In Netherlands, all bars and restaurants have to close by 10pm. In France, bars and restaurants have to close by 10 pm in 15 cities, including Paris. In Marseilles, they have had to close for 15 days. In Copenhagen and surrounding areas, all bars, restaurants and night clubs must close at 10 pm. In Belgium, cafes and bars must close at 11pm and all other businesses selling food and drink must close by 10pm. In Portugal, all commercial establishments must close by 11pm.

Most of these places also have much stricter rules on the wearing of face masks etc.

We still have all day drinking in this country, is it really such a problem to be asked to finish at 10 for what hopefully will be a relatively short period in order to help combat a pandemic?"

But I don't wanna.

» Add a new message to this topic