FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > The Singapore grip

The Singapore grip

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *spotpleasurer OP   Man  over a year ago

Norwich

In the early days of the pandemic, Singapore was touted as a model example. Highly efficient tracing and they introduced the concept of circuit breaker that's now popular here.

Very few cases but later it all went pear shaped. They have a large migrant population in low paying menial jobs living in crowded cheap accommodation. Hundreds of positives detected per day although the local citizens still had a low incidence. The government then isolated the workers in dormitories that were equally crowded and Covid continued to spread among them. Over 57,000 cases to date in a population of only 6 million.

Why do I bring this up? The UK universities are performing exactly the same experiment by housing lots of students in campus accommodation with probably less strict monitoring than in Singapore. No doubt it's spreading the virus but we won't know as there is no compulsory testing and some carriers will be asymptomatic.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"In the early days of the pandemic, Singapore was touted as a model example. Highly efficient tracing and they introduced the concept of circuit breaker that's now popular here.

Very few cases but later it all went pear shaped. They have a large migrant population in low paying menial jobs living in crowded cheap accommodation. Hundreds of positives detected per day although the local citizens still had a low incidence. The government then isolated the workers in dormitories that were equally crowded and Covid continued to spread among them. Over 57,000 cases to date in a population of only 6 million.

Why do I bring this up? The UK universities are performing exactly the same experiment by housing lots of students in campus accommodation with probably less strict monitoring than in Singapore. No doubt it's spreading the virus but we won't know as there is no compulsory testing and some carriers will be asymptomatic."

The students were well aware of methods of preventing transmission

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"In the early days of the pandemic, Singapore was touted as a model example. Highly efficient tracing and they introduced the concept of circuit breaker that's now popular here.

Why do I bring this up? The UK universities are performing exactly the same experiment by housing lots of students in campus accommodation with probably less strict monitoring than in Singapore. No doubt it's spreading the virus but we won't know as there is no compulsory testing and some carriers will be asymptomatic."

Maybe it's the best way of increasing transmission while keeping the more vulnerable out of the picture.

Why do I bring this up? The UK universities are performing exactly the same experiment by housing lots of students in campus accommodation with probably less strict monitoring than in Singapore. No doubt it's spreading the virus but we won't know as there is no compulsory testing and some carriers will be asymptomatic..

Maybe it's the best way of increasing transmission while keeping the more vulnerable out of the picture."

It could result in a herd immunity for the future as a positive side effect.

I thought it was going to be about ITV's new drama...what is the grip btw?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Why do I bring this up? The UK universities are performing exactly the same experiment by housing lots of students in campus accommodation with probably less strict monitoring than in Singapore. No doubt it's spreading the virus but we won't know as there is no compulsory testing and some carriers will be asymptomatic..

Maybe it's the best way of increasing transmission while keeping the more vulnerable out of the picture."

If people in the isolated group never had any form of potential contact with others, including sending out waste, shopping, going to work etc, it might. In the real world, there's no barrier between everyone. In Singapore, they're workers.

For students, they'll be shopping, going out, classes that aren't via the internet etc.

"

It's not really the same to compare Singapore to the UK though and it didn't really go pear shaped there. First of all, Singapore is half the size of the greater London area (50% greater population density than Greater London). Then the dorm workers in Singapore sleep with up to 20 people living in a single room with very shared washing/toilet/cooking facilities which is not really comparable to our universities. The UK will do far worse than Singapore will overall because we never took the threat of a pandemic seriously and are just making it up as we go along.

By *spotpleasurer OP   Man  over a year ago

Norwich

"I thought it was going to be about ITV's new drama...what is the grip btw?"

The drama is pretty poor in my opinion and not a realistic depiction of Singapore back then.

The book is better, and there the Singapore grip is explained as having sex without the man thrusting or moving. Instead the female clenches him inside with her pelvic muscles and makes him come that way.

"I thought it was going to be about ITV's new drama...what is the grip btw?

The drama is pretty poor in my opinion and not a realistic depiction of Singapore back then.

The book is better, and there the Singapore grip is explained as having sex without the man thrusting or moving. Instead the female clenches him inside with her pelvic muscles and makes him come that way. "

Ah but don't you find that with many adaptations when it comes to tv...but thanks for explaining the grip. At my age it sounds the way forward

» Add a new message to this topic