FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Will covid 19 always be around

Will covid 19 always be around

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Or do you think that we will discover a cure for it soon enough?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"Or do you think that we will discover a cure for it soon enough? "

Maybe it will just fizzle out like sars 1 did....

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Cure or vaccine? Flu is still here, so it's with us to stay for a very long time

"Or do you think that we will discover a cure for it soon enough?

Maybe it will just fizzle out like sars 1 did...."

It's strange how that fizzled out

scotland

It's strange how that fizzled out "

Is it?

Cure or vaccine? Flu is still here, so it's with us to stay for a very long time"

Cure or vaccine I meant.

That is a good point the flue hasn't gone away.

Given that we do not know how long natural immunity to COVID-19 lasts, nor whether it is capable of blocking infection completely or only symptoms, it's not clear that covid could ever burn itself out. Therefore, our only option remains to suppress COVID-19 as much as possible until we have a safe and effective vaccine available to the masses

Is it? "

Well I think so, though I'm not clued up when it comes to medical things.

If there was no cure then how could it just fizzle out?

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Different strains will

Is it? "

Covid-1 (sars) has gone, however covid 2 is a different beast

"Given that we do not know how long natural immunity to COVID-19 lasts, nor whether it is capable of blocking infection completely or only symptoms, it's not clear that covid could ever burn itself out. Therefore, our only option remains to suppress COVID-19 as much as possible until we have a safe and effective vaccine available to the masses"

Well let's hope we have a safe and effective vaccine available for the masses ASAP

scotland

Cure or vaccine? Flu is still here, so it's with us to stay for a very long time"

Stop comparing 1 virus with flu. There are 144 different subtypes of influenza A viruses.

It was evident by early 2004 that the SARS outbreak had ended. Starting in 2002, this epidemic lasted about one and a half years, infecting at least 8,000 people and killing 10% of them. Although it mostly affected east Asian countries, by its end SARS had spread worldwide.

scotland

Is it?

If there was no cure then how could it just fizzle out? "

Sars was very symptomatic. It was contagious only during this period. It therefore made contact tracing very effective.

Sars 2 (covid 19) in most cases is asymptomatic so easy to pass on and therefore very difficult to contact trace.

"It was evident by early 2004 that the SARS outbreak had ended. Starting in 2002, this epidemic lasted about one and a half years, infecting at least 8,000 people and killing 10% of them. Although it mostly affected east Asian countries, by its end SARS had spread worldwide.

"

Didn't affect many people then. What a different to covid.

Is it?

If there was no cure then how could it just fizzle out?

Sars was very symptomatic. It was contagious only during this period. It therefore made contact tracing very effective.

Sars 2 (covid 19) in most cases is asymptomatic so easy to pass on and therefore very difficult to contact trace."

STOKE ON TRENT

A vaccine soon

"A vaccine soon"

I pray for that

STOKE ON TRENT

"A vaccine soon

I pray for that "

Every day I pray

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It may be around, like bubonic plague still is, though could alter its impact on us, via mutation. If it remains as infectious, then it will stay as an important issue for us. With the large research efforts in to vaccines, I'm guessing that we'll have 1, probably more within a couple of years and 2 shots a year - twice the 'trouble' of the flu shot.

I'd hope that we'll get vaccines for poor and richer nations, to prevent it lingering in areas. It could die out, if unable to infect enough people.

Obviously mutation could push it in different directions but it appears to have low mutation levels.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

It's strange how that fizzled out "

It killed most people that got infected, dead hosts don't spread it

Wash your hands and it’s gone according to that prick Boris and his gang

It killed most people that got infected, dead hosts don't spread it"

Exactly - and this is the pattern for most virus - the less lethal strains tend to survive because they survive in living hosts and pass it on as a result.

Smallpox still exists - every virus that ever was probably still exists somewhere - it is just that we learn to manage it. Contain. Cure. Counteract (vaccinate, take health steps) these are the ways we live with a virus - containment is difficult as we see. Therapeutics are developing but not yet effective unlike for instance the therapeutics for HIV. Counteract at the moment relies on hygiene measures which are in fact very effective - you could theoretically swamp your hands in a puddle of COVID laden stuff and providing it does not enter through a mucous membrane you would be fine if you then washed well. Hand washing really does work - the lipid bi-layers surrounding the ‘virus’ are destroyed very quickly by soap and water.

"Wash your hands and it’s gone according to that prick Boris and his gang "

Well actually wash your hands and it is gone is true - take Boris out of the equation. Soap and water quickly destroy the ‘shell’ surrounding the molecule which then dies off. It is, alongside stopping yourself ingesting or exhaling gobs of virus laden spittle, highly effective. The virus also needs a carrier of some sort - it doesn’t dance around by itself in the wind - it has to be in something like a spot of spit or poo - if that lands on your hand even if you don’t manage to destroy the shell around the virus the likelihood is you will wash the carrier off.

The virus sars-cov2 will almost without doubt be around for the rest of your life at the very least.

Covid19 the disease that comes from being infected from the virus I've got better hopes for, treatments and vaccines seem to be coming thick and fast and I'd be surprised if it's not well under control within 5 years, that's if we've not managed to wreck everything trying to control it in those five years.

The virus sars-cov2 will almost without doubt be around for the rest of your life at the very least.

Covid19 the disease that comes from being infected from the virus I've got better hopes for, treatments and vaccines seem to be coming thick and fast and I'd be surprised if it's not well under control within 5 years, that's if we've not managed to wreck everything trying to control it in those five years."

I think you are probably about right at that - the first wave of vaccines will probably steadily improve and with the decreased mortality from the virus itself we will curb it. Therapeutics have already improved. My biggest concern is the effect on developing nations who lack the resource to mass vaccinate or purchase the best interventions. The Gates foundation funding plus other funding from the WHO (UN) will help but I have a significant concern for remote communities and those in enforced close proximity in the developing world.

Covid19 the disease that comes from being infected from the virus I've got better hopes for, treatments and vaccines seem to be coming thick and fast and I'd be surprised if it's not well under control within 5 years, that's if we've not managed to wreck everything trying to control it in those five years.

I think you are probably about right at that - the first wave of vaccines will probably steadily improve and with the decreased mortality from the virus itself we will curb it. Therapeutics have already improved. My biggest concern is the effect on developing nations who lack the resource to mass vaccinate or purchase the best interventions. The Gates foundation funding plus other funding from the WHO (UN) will help but I have a significant concern for remote communities and those in enforced close proximity in the developing world.

"

Why are you not advising boris, and indeed the world on this virus, it seems you know EVERYTHING!

Its the equivalent of saying the science will find a cure for death !there will never be a cure against Mother nature.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I expect that it will always be around.

However, we should have a vaccine before too long and we are getting better at treating it.

There's still an awful lot we don't know about the virus and it's longterm effects.

By *xtrafun4youMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

Covid was about in 2003. And still about.

By *reemindCoolMan  over a year ago

between Barnsley and Wakefield

yes

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

There is no guarantee a vaccine will work at all and not for everyone. That's if everyone gets it. Early signs are it will need to be boosted every now and again too. Given how wide spread the virus is it seems inevitable it will be around for some time yet.

All this I can't get on board with locking everyone up and shutting down business for the time it will take to vaccinate people to the point it can't spread readily.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Covid was about in 2003. And still about. "

It's been around an awful lot longer than that. The common cold is a covid virus.

"Covid was about in 2003. And still about.

It's been around an awful lot longer than that. The common cold is a covid virus. "

Think technically both were Corona Viruses....I know I know

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"It may be around, like bubonic plague still is, though could alter its impact on us, via mutation. If it remains as infectious, then it will stay as an important issue for us. With the large research efforts in to vaccines, I'm guessing that we'll have 1, probably more within a couple of years and 2 shots a year - twice the 'trouble' of the flu shot.

I'd hope that we'll get vaccines for poor and richer nations, to prevent it lingering in areas. It could die out, if unable to infect enough people.

Obviously mutation could push it in different directions but it appears to have low mutation levels. "

Being pedantic but Bubonic plague is caused by a bacteria not a virus. It is carried by fleas and is likely there will always by a small pool of rodent carriers from now until the end of life on earth.

As long as people keep refusing to social distance not wear masks and don't wash hands and have partys yeah it'll be around for a long time and more deaths.....

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

It’s here to stay! It’s how it’s managed that will be the game changer - nor is it the only virus out there capable of creating world pandemic! There are others that as yet, have not crossed the animal/human barrier.......but there is potential .....

» Add a new message to this topic