FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Vitamin D

Vitamin D

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *pices69 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gravesend

Anyone seen the Spain Trial of 76 Patients, double blind...

Where they also administered Vit D as part of the treatment of Covid to one group, and it had the impact of reducing their transfer to ICU from 50% to 2%

Where the patient had Vitimin D, only one in 50 Covid Patients need ICU, whereas 13 in 26 not treated with Vit D - required ICU.

No large scale trials planned.... There’s no money in Vitimin D sales

I take it anyway as i suffer from Vitilgo, but kinda worrying that our key doctors almost always have a link to big business.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Not really a surprise, it's common knowledge that vitamin D is extremely benefial to the immune system.

Around a quarter of the UK population is vitamin D deficient (rising to one third in winter months).

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I have made a bit of an effort to look after myself a bit more now I’m over 40.

Have been supplementing Vit D for the first time this year and a collagen peptide for the joints. Found the best deal for Vit D in Cost Co. You can buy a years worth for under a tenner. They have cottoned on as there are pallets of the stuff.

Also took up the flu jab option for the first time as well.

Covid has me rethink my mortality.

By *outhlondon_guyMan  over a year ago

London

"Anyone seen the Spain Trial of 76 Patients, double blind...

Where they also administered Vit D as part of the treatment of Covid to one group, and it had the impact of reducing their transfer to ICU from 50% to 2%

Where the patient had Vitimin D, only one in 50 Covid Patients need ICU, whereas 13 in 26 not treated with Vit D - required ICU.

I take it anyway as i suffer from Vitilgo, but kinda worrying that our key doctors almost always have a link to big business."

So you think the government would overlook a very cheap and easy route to combat the pandemic because 'there's no money in it'?

I dont know enough about the Spain study you talk about to have a view on the efficacy of the outcome other than with such a small sample size it's impossible to draw any reasonable conclusions other than a larger scale study is worthwhile. The fact it isn't being progressed is more likely to indicate there was flawed methodology in the original study than something more sinister

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

I take it anyway as i suffer from Vitilgo, but kinda worrying that our key doctors almost always have a link to big business."

Much as I would encourage people to take vitamin d as I was involved with some research many years ago, it's not a miracle drug and a study of 76 people is pretty meaningless.

As with ANY supplement please ask your GP first as it is possible to have a reaction.

Gravesend

Yeah - CostCo is best place for buying it.

Re: Deficiencies - 80% of BAME are deficient in it. They are also more susceptible to Covid by a factor of two apparently. Wonder if that is related.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Vit D has been used as part of treatment for covid patients for the past 4 or more months by some who know of it's benefits in boosting the immune system, with great success. However many said there was no evidence to show it works so wouldn't do it, apparently citing there needs to be clinical trials first. Sometimes there's a blindness brought on by H&S and lack of initiatives that makes me dispare at times with society.

There were suggestions a few months back too that vit D sufficiency may be one of the factors exposing why the BAAC suffered disproportionately with Covid in European countries. For 6 months in the year we don't get enough natural vit D from sunlight and their skin naturally blocks out more too.

"Vit D has been used as part of treatment for covid patients for the past 4 or more months by some who know of it's benefits in boosting the immune system, with great success. However many said there was no evidence to show it works so wouldn't do it, apparently citing there needs to be clinical trials first. Sometimes there's a blindness brought on by H&S and lack of initiatives that makes me dispare at times with society.

There were suggestions a few months back too that vit D sufficiency may be one of the factors exposing why the BAAC suffered disproportionately with Covid in European countries. For 6 months in the year we don't get enough natural vit D from sunlight and their skin naturally blocks out more too.

"

explaining*

Gravesend

Here’s a link.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076020302764?via%3Dihub#bib0100

I dont have access to the original journal article sadly.

Gravesend

I take it anyway as i suffer from Vitilgo, but kinda worrying that our key doctors almost always have a link to big business.

Much as I would encourage people to take vitamin d as I was involved with some research many years ago, it's not a miracle drug and a study of 76 people is pretty meaningless.

As with ANY supplement please ask your GP first as it is possible to have a reaction."

Are you suggesting we should ask our GP before we take ANY supplement? So all those over the counter vitamin, we should take medical advice? Seems a rather extreme view. I would rather just read the literature, leaflet and labels. Honestly I have found a lot of GP’s to be constrained by budget and timings, who deflect rather than resolve. Jack of all trades, triage if you like. Ive had a number of semi major incidents over the years which GP’s have been verging on negligent... My experience of course and others may have had different, but I wouldnt waste their time asking if i can take a vitimin. If there was a reaction, which you mention, how would a doc know about it in advance anyway...

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

So you think the government would overlook a very cheap and easy route to combat the pandemic because 'there's no money in it'?

I dont know enough about the Spain study you talk about to have a view on the efficacy of the outcome other than with such a small sample size it's impossible to draw any reasonable conclusions other than a larger scale study is worthwhile. The fact it isn't being progressed is more likely to indicate there was flawed methodology in the original study than something more sinister "

How do you know it isn't being progressed? Or that there aren't other studies going on.? Or that there haven't been over 100 studies this year already? The press have been full of them. The bmj, nice, the lancet, the press, sky, BBC.... Why do I need the govt to tell me to take a supplement to stay healthy? Have people relinquished all responsibility for their own health to somebody else?

Tin town

As with ANY supplement please ask your GP first as it is possible to have a reaction.

Are you suggesting we should ask our GP before we take ANY supplement? So all those over the counter vitamin, we should take medical advice? Seems a rather extreme view. I would rather just read the literature, leaflet and labels. Honestly I have found a lot of GP’s to be constrained by budget and timings, who deflect rather than resolve. Jack of all trades, triage if you like. Ive had a number of semi major incidents over the years which GP’s have been verging on negligent... My experience of course and others may have had different, but I wouldnt waste their time asking if i can take a vitimin. If there was a reaction, which you mention, how would a doc know about it in advance anyway...

"

Your choice.... The issue could be unregulated supplements, many of which are "marketing miracle cures" which have not been clinically trialled and how they react with any other medication you may be taking.

The supplements industry... Another kettle of fish entirely.

I dont know enough about the Spain study you talk about to have a view on the efficacy of the outcome other than with such a small sample size it's impossible to draw any reasonable conclusions other than a larger scale study is worthwhile. The fact it isn't being progressed is more likely to indicate there was flawed methodology in the original study than something more sinister

How do you know it isn't being progressed? Or that there aren't other studies going on.? Or that there haven't been over 100 studies this year already? The press have been full of them. The bmj, nice, the lancet, the press, sky, BBC.... Why do I need the govt to tell me to take a supplement to stay healthy? Have people relinquished all responsibility for their own health to somebody else?

"

Maybe you dont need the government to tell you as I dont...but oddly a lot do rely on official prompts.

Surely the op post should be welcomed in promoting vit D and not be fired at as on the whole I find these posts on this subject to be quite beneficial to the uninitiated to this cheap ammunition against covid.

Your choice.... The issue could be unregulated supplements, many of which are "marketing miracle cures" which have not been clinically trialled and how they react with any other medication you may be taking.

The supplements industry... Another kettle of fish entirely. "

This more or less contradicts your last post.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Interesting outcome on the surface, without reading the study. There have been studies, including in the UK this year, so it's not a completely overlooked source of potential help. With the BAME populations, it may play some role in explaining their worse outcomes compared to Caucasians but unlikely to explain the whole substantial level of difference.

There are a few threads here upon vitamin D that you may find interesting if you search for them

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Just a quick google.

'Vitamin D deficiency is very common. It's estimated that about 1 billion people worldwide have low levels of the vitamin in their blood. According to a 2011 study, 41.6% of adults in the US are deficient. This number goes up to 69.2% in Hispanics and 82.1% in African-Americans'.

I did post another study that was done in 2016 (can locate it on here though) and it was roughly the same.

Vit D is one of the really cheap supplements available. 3 months high-dose Vd3 is only £6.99 at Amazon.

Ps. My GP said the Vitamin D3 derivative is the better form.

Just a word of warning to anyone with gallstones,avoid buying vitamin D with added calcium

As with ANY supplement please ask your GP first as it is possible to have a reaction."

Very true

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"

It's your choice what you put into your body, many people don't even look at labels and don't consider adverse reactions and some don't even know what an adverse reaction is.

Some vitamins can contain salt which in extreme circumstances can be fatal, your gp will advise.

Actually scrub that £6.99 for 96 - just searched again a you can buy 400 for £8.99. Search folks for the better deal lol.

There are many vitamins and minerals that can help boost the immune system. One we have used and still use against flu and colds is made from elderberries and proven to help infection and reduce recovery times but as its classed as herbal and more than 2 active ingredients then pharmaceutical companies cant market it as a medicine....its a crazy world we live in..

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Yeah - CostCo is best place for buying it.

Re: Deficiencies - 80% of BAME are deficient in it. They are also more susceptible to Covid by a factor of two apparently. Wonder if that is related. "

It’s very common knowledge in private medical and alternative medical sectors, high doses of VitC and VitD are used to treat all kinds of things. I’ve taken 1000mg of VitC daily for years and never get coughs or colds. I get VitD naturally when possible it takes 30seconds a day , if I start to feel unwell I force myself to rest and eat and drink 2-3x more. I also found sources of selenium as EU root vegetables doesn’t have it. I exercise and stretch to force more oxygen into my body and breath properly.

You are wasting your time taking to NHS GPs if you are serious about your future health , do your own research then pay for a private consultations / tests etc , NHS is only really capable of reactive not proactive.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

It's your choice what you put into your body, many people don't even look at labels and don't consider adverse reactions and some don't even know what an adverse reaction is.

Some vitamins can contain salt which in extreme circumstances can be fatal, your gp will advise.

"

Good quality natural carriers and high absorption rate is what matters, you won’t get that from the junk they sell at Costco or Asda

[Removed by poster at 08/10/20 10:54:26]

Also just to add the clocks go back in 2-3 weeks and we will hardly get any vit D until march -april from the sun.

So our bodies will be very deficient in the coming months

I'm sticking to domestos following Donald trumps advice????????????????????

"I'm sticking to domestos following Donald trumps advice????????????????????"

Makes sure it's a good quality one - ruined a perfectly good pair of jeans with cheap bleach recently lol.

"I'm sticking to domestos following Donald trumps advice????????????????????

Makes sure it's a good quality one - ruined a perfectly good pair of jeans with cheap bleach recently lol. "

????????????????????????

By *istyblue1967Man  over a year ago

manchester

can you get vitamin D from winter daylight ??? do you need to be exposed for a longer period ?

[Removed by poster at 08/10/20 11:23:30]

Winter Sunlight is much weaker.

My Mme' used to Say: 'October to May. Go out and Play'.

By *istyblue1967Man  over a year ago

manchester

i hope we can play out soon !!!!

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple  over a year ago

norwich

"can you get vitamin D from winter daylight ??? do you need to be exposed for a longer period ?

"

Due to the amount of clothing we wear many people dont even get enough sun in the summer let alone the winter.

We supplement Vit D and use sunbeds. Sunbeds get a lot of stick but there are more and more doctors and specialists promoting light therapies, including sunbeds as there is evidence for the benefits out weighting the negatives.

Tin town

This more or less contradicts your last post."

In what way? One says take some responsibility for your own health. The other says be careful what you put in your body.? At no point do I preclude speaking to your gp.?

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

"can you get vitamin D from winter daylight ??? do you need to be exposed for a longer period ?

"

Not once the Sun is below 45 degrees as the atmosphere strips out all the UVB light thats needed to make vitamin D. So a good rule of thumb is once your shadow is longer than you start taking your supplements.

I need some vitamin D

Vit D is covered on the NHS website including a few paragraphs specifically on Covid.

This more or less contradicts your last post.

In what way? One says take some responsibility for your own health. The other says be careful what you put in your body.? At no point do I preclude speaking to your gp.? "

The one seemed to say dont be a wimp,then the second one came across as oh hang on...

Maybe I got it wrong

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

I take Vit D Vit C zinc multi vitamins B12 collagen magnesium oh and iron !!! Fighting fit for a 60yr old ...

"I take Vit D Vit C zinc multi vitamins B12 collagen magnesium oh and iron !!! Fighting fit for a 60yr old ... "

Do tell me more about this collagen?

"There are many vitamins and minerals that can help boost the immune system. One we have used and still use against flu and colds is made from elderberries and proven to help infection and reduce recovery times but as its classed as herbal and more than 2 active ingredients then pharmaceutical companies cant market it as a medicine....its a crazy world we live in.."

Vit D, tumeric and Vit C and zinc are commonly used. Black pepper helps absorb the tumeric efficiently.

We are what we eat shouldn't be ignored. Eat healthier stay healthier

If we put shit in regularly expect shit results.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

A good quality oil based Vit D supplement should be taken by pretty much everyone in the UK. The wavelengths of UV light that cause us to make Vit D in our skin are only correct from approx April to September each year. More than half of the year, even on a bright sunny day, we aren't synthesising Vit D. To add to that, unless you spend significant time in direct sunlight with a large surface area of skin, you still won't make enough.

Vit D is fat soluble so best absorbed via an oil capsule, not a chalky tablet.

"A good quality oil based Vit D supplement should be taken by pretty much everyone in the UK. The wavelengths of UV light that cause us to make Vit D in our skin are only correct from approx April to September each year. More than half of the year, even on a bright sunny day, we aren't synthesising Vit D. To add to that, unless you spend significant time in direct sunlight with a large surface area of skin, you still won't make enough.

Vit D is fat soluble so best absorbed via an oil capsule, not a chalky tablet. "

Recall reading a medical journal on the subject and advocating to use less sun block as most people go ott in reaction to possiblity of skin cancer by using factor 50. They did say however in Britain we tend not to do things in moderation either, when the sun comes out we all strip off and overdose wit and burn.

Many don't realise they can burn in cloudy weather.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Been taking it everyday for over a month now as normally only take vit c so now taking both

North West

"A good quality oil based Vit D supplement should be taken by pretty much everyone in the UK. The wavelengths of UV light that cause us to make Vit D in our skin are only correct from approx April to September each year. More than half of the year, even on a bright sunny day, we aren't synthesising Vit D. To add to that, unless you spend significant time in direct sunlight with a large surface area of skin, you still won't make enough.

Recall reading a medical journal on the subject and advocating to use less sun block as most people go ott in reaction to possiblity of skin cancer by using factor 50. They did say however in Britain we tend not to do things in moderation either, when the sun comes out we all strip off and overdose wit and burn.

Many don't realise they can burn in cloudy weather."

I have no choice about the factor 50, I have feeble skin that burns in minutes. I have to wear a hat too. I once burnt my head on a day out in early April - overcast, wearing a jumper and wellies.

I'd rather pop a Vit D capsule every day and put my factor 50 on to avoid the burning

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

"Just a quick google.

'Vitamin D deficiency is very common. It's estimated that about 1 billion people worldwide have low levels of the vitamin in their blood. According to a 2011 study, 41.6% of adults in the US are deficient. This number goes up to 69.2% in Hispanics and 82.1% in African-Americans'.

I did post another study that was done in 2016 (can locate it on here though) and it was roughly the same.

Vit D is one of the really cheap supplements available. 3 months high-dose Vd3 is only £6.99 at Amazon.

"

I got a year's worth of the daily recommended dose for £7.99 on Amazon in march.

Many don't realise they can burn in cloudy weather.

I have no choice about the factor 50, I have feeble skin that burns in minutes. I have to wear a hat too. I once burnt my head on a day out in early April - overcast, wearing a jumper and wellies.

I'd rather pop a Vit D capsule every day and put my factor 50 on to avoid the burning "

You said this in another post on the same topic.

Think you've missed the point yet again. There are always those who need to be covered over completely,as you seem to be, but that's not the general rule.

The observation in the journal was about those who don't need to cover themselves completely.

I'm glad you realise you need to though and therefore taking a Vit D supplement would be more appropriate for you.

By *plpxp2Couple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Further clinical trials underway, quite a detailed overview here with evidence links, around 25 minutes but interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Ks9fUh2k8

By *nigmatic_AngelWoman  over a year ago

The place where fairies live

"I have made a bit of an effort to look after myself a bit more now I’m over 40.

Have been supplementing Vit D for the first time this year and a collagen peptide for the joints. Found the best deal for Vit D in Cost Co. You can buy a years worth for under a tenner. They have cottoned on as there are pallets of the stuff.

Also took up the flu jab option for the first time as well.

Covid has me rethink my mortality. "

Two things.. What brand /link was the collegan please. Also.. What dose of it D? I'm taking 4000 U recommemended x

"Just a quick google.

I got a year's worth of the daily recommended dose for £7.99 on Amazon in march."

Yup I researched and got the same better deal.

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

I take it every day plus a berroca style multivitamin

Yet another report indicating that Vit D mitigates the worst effects of Covid.

When are Whitty and Vallance going to come out and say so ?

About time they gave us some positive news among all the doom and gloom.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200928/Healthy-vitamin-D-levels-could-reduce-COVID-19-complications.aspx

Gravesend

I have located the following information in response to some of the issues raised, including by myself.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=COVID&term=Vitamin+D&type=&rslt=&age_v=&gndr=&intr=Vitamin+D&titles=&outc=&spons=&lead=&id=&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=&locn=&rsub=&strd_s=&strd_e=&prcd_s=&prcd_e=&sfpd_s=&sfpd_e=&rfpd_s=&rfpd_e=&lupd_s=&lupd_e=&sort=

There’s 5 more trials of vit d all in early stages...

Some reference other work that talks about lack of vit d in other respiratory track infections...

I will be carrying on with it myself.

ps. Someone mentioned berocca... Love the illuminous urine effect with that stuff. lol

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"

Two things.. What brand /link was the collegan please. Also.. What dose of it D? I'm taking 4000 U recommemended x"

4000 iu is pretty high.

400 iu is NHS advised

I am personally taking 1000 IU which is well under threshold.

You can overdose though have to be taking large amounts for an long time upward and over 20,000 IU. But 4000 IU is still high for a daily amount.

yumsville

*Speak to a medic.

I have the 5000iu tabs

I take one every other day

North West

"

Two things.. What brand /link was the collegan please. Also.. What dose of it D? I'm taking 4000 U recommemended x

4000 iu is pretty high.

400 iu is NHS advised

You can overdose though have to be taking large amounts for an long time upward and over 20,000 IU. But 4000 IU is still high for a daily amount. "

Yes, and Vit D overdose is a bad thing. It will cause demineralisation of bone as calcium and phosphorus will leach out. 1000IU is more than enough unless taking prescription strength stuff under the direction of a doctor (for clinically diagnosed very low Vit D levels)

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

We have been taking the Vitabiotics Vit D3 1000 iu optimum level since March, buy it from Boots 3 packs of 96 cost £11, got a feeling Boots are struggling as soooooo many offers lately, I would hate for them to disappear off the high street I try to support the high street where possible before all we have is tumble blowing through deserted towns

yumsville

"We have been taking the Vitabiotics Vit D3 1000 iu optimum level since March, buy it from Boots 3 packs of 96 cost £11, got a feeling Boots are struggling as soooooo many offers lately, I would hate for them to disappear off the high street I try to support the high street where possible before all we have is tumble blowing through deserted towns "

Boots is owned by Wallgreens, they announced ages ago Boots were having trouble and were going to close some stores.. covid is just accelerating the issue for the high st.

By *ymguy1966Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

So much inaccurate info here about Vit D, kinda scary

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

"We have been taking the Vitabiotics Vit D3 1000 iu optimum level since March, buy it from Boots 3 packs of 96 cost £11, got a feeling Boots are struggling as soooooo many offers lately, I would hate for them to disappear off the high street I try to support the high street where possible before all we have is tumble blowing through deserted towns

Boots is owned by Wallgreens, they announced ages ago Boots were having trouble and were going to close some stores.. covid is just accelerating the issue for the high st."

Oh really boo hoo that makes me so sad, I hate internet shopping it sucks, buying junk you can’t see and feel from random pop up places, I would much rather shop on the High Street but seems I’m in the minority.

By *ymguy1966Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

"

4000 iu is pretty high.

400 iu is NHS advised

You can overdose though have to be taking large amounts for an long time upward and over 20,000 IU. But 4000 IU is still high for a daily amount. "

Lol

North West

"So much inaccurate info here about Vit D, kinda scary "

Go on then, enlighten us pal.

BTW, not allowed to post links but feel free to research hypervitaminosis D and how it can cause hypercalcaemia. An elderly lady in a care home died due to this a while back because she was prescribed a very high dose Vitamin D, which the staff gave daily instead of monthly: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vitamin-d-overdose-care-home-inquest-yorkshire-guiseley-eileen-cowles-coroner-a8828506.html

Gravesend

Wow

I had a 50,000 iu course... Dont worry, it was under medical supervision including before and after blood tests... I’m not on a much smaller routine now... It keeps my Vitiligo at bay, and stopped the chest pains, which was my body mining my bones for it.

People are right to be wary of online advice, don’t do what i did and please read the label and within low doses stated. Vit D can be dangerous!!

By *razyhappyguys04Couple  over a year ago

London.

We take vitamin D and magnesium and vitamin C , very good for your immune, and mental health xx

» Add a new message to this topic