FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Covid, it’s just like another flu

Covid, it’s just like another flu

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’ve heard this on increasing levels in the past weeks from a number of posters amongst these forums and would love some insight...

It’s 3:42am and I’ve literally just finished my 12 hour shift which should have stopped at midnight. Today we’ve admitted 22 new arrivals into the red zone which should have been around 6 if we went by last years flu crisis which by the end of October had our trust at near capacity.

We’ve had our oxygen alarm go off twice today warning we are placing a strain on the system beyond it’s advised safe limit, we’ve also cleared and prepared an additional ward and operating theatre to take our patient surplus as a repeat of today’s admissions would actually take us past our remaining beds in the red zone.

The theatre and ward we have closed was scheduled to perform elective surgery for 40 people in the next two weeks, these will now obviously be postponed.

We have also sadly lost a pair of patients who have been in our care for 3 and 4 weeks respectively. We have every age group with us now from 16 plus, yes a majority over 60 but it includes 3 students in their late teens. We have also lost 2 members of staff from my team in the past days who are now off after testing positive for covid-19. We are hoping we don’t repeat the experience of seeing either of them return to us as critical patients which sadly we’ve had to experience earlier this year.

I’d really love for one of the detractors clinging onto a single statistic whilst ignoring any of the context it sits in to come and experience just one day in this reality. In truth, it’s fucking brutal. I’d love to see you explain your view directly to those treating patients or the families of those affected.

So go on... give me a logical and considered argument, how is this in any way just another flu?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *illyGoFarMan  over a year ago

Fantasyland USA

Thanks for your commitment. I'm glad that people who say "it's just like the flu" aren't working on the front line like you. We'd all be up shit creek. Just be thankful some random dude with a keyboard has no influence on policy. It's really not worth the energy arguing with them.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Its so heartening to know that we have professionals like yourself, in our lives.

A simple thank you is never enough, but i'll say it anyway.

Thank you

By *nertsmateMan  over a year ago

Between Trumpton and Camberwick Green

It's like another flu that kills 25 times as many people as any other common flu.

It's like another flu but we have no vaccine for it.

It's like another flu but we don't know what sort of immunity we build up to it.

Ooops maybe it's not just like another flu !

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

And if all these idiots , stuck to the rules , we wouldn’t be where we are now , this pandemic will go on for years because most people think they know better than the professionals,

I’m on the frontline too. It’s fucking bad flu if that’s what it is - just hoping it will replace the normal winter flu!

By *iger-NWMan  over a year ago

Preston

Report anyone asking to meet during covid

Meeting isn’t illegal everywhere...! Yet...

By *edandLouCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Report anyone asking to meet during covid"

We do if they show up on our feed. The amount of blatant meet posts or hints is worrying to be honest. I thought admins would be all over them. Lou.

I fully agree and support my old friend Ms Charli Grace in everything she says in this respect. If anyone thinks this is just another flue then wait until you have experienced family members or personal friends catching it or even worse dying from it, which I have

The figures dead worldwide are staggering with over 1 MILLION, ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DEAD! and it seems to be eceslarating all the time. France has now over 30,000 official case's a day which we are about 2-3 weeks behind. With more case's comes more patients, all these people need health care now in the sort term and some long term which should be our priority.

I must say the government has not helped the situation at all with its shambolic response to the pandemic with ever changing confusing mixed messages and rules and in some case's with down right lies, Mr Cummings to name one! This has bread an growing cultural of mistrust of the state and ignorance because many simply don't believes much they say these days even if it is true. It does seem like Bo Jo the clown is running the show with Mr tumble advising going from one calamity to the next.

If the government can't bring the majority of the country along with it like in the first lock because of mistrust they are going to have trouble controling infected numbers. There's an ever growing cultural of apathy to the pandemic now that's becoming a mainstream view that is bleeding into society.

In saying all that we shouldn't lose sight of the reality of the numbers and people dying and the people on the front line like Charli Grace who still need our support ever day & to hear a massive THANK YOU xxx

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"And if all these idiots , stuck to the rules , we wouldn’t be where we are now "

My son is a teacher and this week tested positive. He is not an idiot and he was following the rules.

"And if all these idiots , stuck to the rules , we wouldn’t be where we are now

My son is a teacher and this week tested positive. He is not an idiot and he was following the rules. "

V true. It’s a virus. It spreads. Quickly. No country has exactly the same rules so there is no right answer. We all will get it at some stage, well 75% of us anyway. If you get it you’re not an idiot, you’re the 75%. Self righteousness doesn’t help here.

"I’ve heard this on increasing levels in the past weeks from a number of posters amongst these forums and would love some insight...

It’s 3:42am and I’ve literally just finished my 12 hour shift which should have stopped at midnight. Today we’ve admitted 22 new arrivals into the red zone which should have been around 6 if we went by last years flu crisis which by the end of October had our trust at near capacity.

We’ve had our oxygen alarm go off twice today warning we are placing a strain on the system beyond it’s advised safe limit, we’ve also cleared and prepared an additional ward and operating theatre to take our patient surplus as a repeat of today’s admissions would actually take us past our remaining beds in the red zone.

The theatre and ward we have closed was scheduled to perform elective surgery for 40 people in the next two weeks, these will now obviously be postponed.

We have also sadly lost a pair of patients who have been in our care for 3 and 4 weeks respectively. We have every age group with us now from 16 plus, yes a majority over 60 but it includes 3 students in their late teens. We have also lost 2 members of staff from my team in the past days who are now off after testing positive for covid-19. We are hoping we don’t repeat the experience of seeing either of them return to us as critical patients which sadly we’ve had to experience earlier this year.

I’d really love for one of the detractors clinging onto a single statistic whilst ignoring any of the context it sits in to come and experience just one day in this reality. In truth, it’s fucking brutal. I’d love to see you explain your view directly to those treating patients or the families of those affected.

So go on... give me a logical and considered argument, how is this in any way just another flu? "

Thank you for your amazing work, we are lucky there are people like you x

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"And if all these idiots , stuck to the rules , we wouldn’t be where we are now

My son is a teacher and this week tested positive. He is not an idiot and he was following the rules. "

He wouldn't have tested positive if these idiots stuck to the rules.

I tested positive on Friday and can attest that it is not like flu. I, thankfully, have a mild case but it's a weird thing, most peculiar. The change in smell and taste is bizarre. Some things are totally inedible to me now.

By *dsindyTV/TS  over a year ago

East Lancashire

Stay strong Charli and stay safe, look after yourself so that you can keep looking after others xx.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I've had the flu once in my life when I was 17. My parents cared for me like a baby as I couldn't get out of bed even if my feet were on fire: I'm 60 and remember it well.

I tested positive for covid three weeks ago and apart from a cough, headache and tiredness, no problem. If we weren't in the midst of a pandemic I'd have taken a couple of paracetamol and carried on.

People die from the flu so I don't get the mentality behind the "it's only the flu!" brigade either.

"I tested positive on Friday and can attest that it is not like flu. I, thankfully, have a mild case but it's a weird thing, most peculiar. The change in smell and taste is bizarre. Some things are totally inedible to me now."
Get well soon

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

All I can say is a massive "thank you" to the op, and their colleagues. Every decent person can see, how dedicated, selfless and courageous the medical staff are.

Leeds

[Removed by poster at 18/10/20 08:39:39]

Leeds

A massive thank you to all NHS staff who work so hard for our benefit

By *heekyweebissimWoman  over a year ago

fife,

"I’ve heard this on increasing levels in the past weeks from a number of posters amongst these forums and would love some insight...

So go on... give me a logical and considered argument, how is this in any way just another flu? "

Thank you for the hard work and the stark reminder. I think sometimes we all become frustrated and complacent.

But

For those still traveling about between areas because they have holiday homes and those being selfish because they are young and fit so it won’t effect them, it does.....stop being knobs!

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

What a snidy comment

What the poster fails to know is, if they are admitted, the op would still fight tooth and nail to help them. If the poster is any sort of gentleman, he'd publicly apologise on this forum.

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

Thank you for putting this post up and thank you for all the work you and your NHS colleges do. I'm fighting the company I work for to take this virus seriously, I think finally I may have got three to them as they have now changed the way staff work in the warehouse and the wearing of facecoverings

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Those who claim wrongly that it's the same as flu have an agenda, or have picked up another's agenda alongside the fake flu analogy. They're not particularly well informed, so their ignorance helps make them a pliable puppet to be manipulated and then to become disruptive.

It may share some symptoms and affects our lungs but covid-19 is a different beast. Our national flu deaths figures are tiny in comparison - 1,223 people died from flu related illness in 2019, which helps to put it into perspective.

Unfortunately the ignorant and people motivated by questionable agendas get an easy platform to spread misinformation that helps to cause disruptive mayhem, costing lives. We need people to be together against this killer, not against each other, taking steps that suppresses infection.

Thanks for your great work op.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Solidarity, OP.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

It's very hard to know what is true these days,photos can be put up from ages ago so matters not what date they have, but ones with masks on are obviously fairly recent, we had a chap move in next to us last year who told me he was a doctor on a childs cancer ward was very convincing and appeared 100% genuine, turns out he was making every word of it up.

As to the OP who knows, I really hope its genuine

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Thank you OP and all front line workers for everything you do x

By *ent1Man  over a year ago

Ashford

You get paid dont you? its not charity work and no one is forcing you to do it. Most of us just go to work and get on with it.

"I've had the flu once in my life when I was 17. My parents cared for me like a baby as I couldn't get out of bed even if my feet were on fire: I'm 60 and remember it well.

I tested positive for covid three weeks ago and apart from a cough, headache and tiredness, no problem. If we weren't in the midst of a pandemic I'd have taken a couple of paracetamol and carried on.

People die from the flu so I don't get the mentality behind the "it's only the flu!" brigade either."

This is my experience too.

I have had flu twice in my lifetime and both times I was much more poorly than I was when I had covid.

When I caught covid I had every symptom but the cough.

But it was still nothing compared to the 2 cases of flu that I have.

I think some people have had cold before and are confusing them with flu.

Flu makes you bedridden hor sometimes weeks at a time.

Manchester (she/her)

"You get paid dont you? its not charity work and no one is forcing you to do it. Most of us just go to work and get on with it. "

Umm. Wow.

The OP is going through extraordinary things beyond the huge things she normally gets paid to do.

This isn't "I had a bad day at work" it's "we've been understaffed and underpaid for a long time, we do difficult work, and it's getting beyond what our system can cope with, let alone us as overworked exhausted people being pushed past the limit".

Show some compassion FFS.

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

"I've had the flu once in my life when I was 17. My parents cared for me like a baby as I couldn't get out of bed even if my feet were on fire: I'm 60 and remember it well.

People die from the flu so I don't get the mentality behind the "it's only the flu!" brigade either.

I have had flu twice in my lifetime and both times I was much more poorly than I was when I had covid.

Flu makes you bedridden hor sometimes weeks at a time."

Got to agree with this. When I had the flu, I was ok during the day, just felt a bit "off". By the time I got home, went from being burning hot to freezing cold, no energy, no appetite & felt the roughest I'd ever felt. That was several years ago now, and when I hear people saying "think I've got the flu" but still carrying on in relative normality, I'm sure they're confusing a bad cold with the flu.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"You get paid dont you? its not charity work and no one is forcing you to do it. Most of us just go to work and get on with it. "

My wife is NHS, 40+ yes, and at the last count 6 other close family members in different areas of the system all front line delivering the services..

It's absolutely common that such things as meal breaks, finishing on time are even in pre covid times s rarity..

Do yes they do get paid but they regularly go beyond what is required..

Manchester (she/her)

"You get paid dont you? its not charity work and no one is forcing you to do it. Most of us just go to work and get on with it.

My wife is NHS, 40+ yes, and at the last count 6 other close family members in different areas of the system all front line delivering the services..

It's absolutely common that such things as meal breaks, finishing on time are even in pre covid times s rarity..

"

I know one group who had a "strike" in the last few years which involved simply working their hours and taking the breaks they're entitled to.

"I'll only give 100%" was industrial action ffs

Got to agree with this. When I had the flu, I was ok during the day, just felt a bit "off". By the time I got home, went from being burning hot to freezing cold, no energy, no appetite & felt the roughest I'd ever felt. That was several years ago now, and when I hear people saying "think I've got the flu" but still carrying on in relative normality, I'm sure they're confusing a bad cold with the flu."

Yes I get pretty angry if I am talking to someone at work or in the street and they come out with "I think I have the flu"

My answer is the same everytime.

You don't have the flu if you did you would be at home in bed

in Lancashire

"You get paid dont you? its not charity work and no one is forcing you to do it. Most of us just go to work and get on with it.

I know one group who had a "strike" in the last few years which involved simply working their hours and taking the breaks they're entitled to.

"I'll only give 100%" was industrial action ffs"

I think it's either ignorance, spite or just plain old arsyness in trying times..

I used to say why do you do it, it was only when our Dad was being cared for in his last days I got it..

It's a level of something beyond me but it's admirable and without it the system would be in dire straits..

Manchester (she/her)

I think it's either ignorance, spite or just plain old arsyness in trying times..

I used to say why do you do it, it was only when our Dad was being cared for in his last days I got it..

It's a level of something beyond me but it's admirable and without it the system would be in dire straits.."

I think people are sick of applauding the NHS. They're suffering and want others to be unhappy too.

Umm those working on the NHS were working on goodwill *before* this shit hit the fan.

By *rufinWoman  over a year ago

notts

Got to agree with this. When I had the flu, I was ok during the day, just felt a bit "off". By the time I got home, went from being burning hot to freezing cold, no energy, no appetite & felt the roughest I'd ever felt. That was several years ago now, and when I hear people saying "think I've got the flu" but still carrying on in relative normality, I'm sure they're confusing a bad cold with the flu.

Yes I get pretty angry if I am talking to someone at work or in the street and they come out with "I think I have the flu"

"

That's really not the case at all. Most flu (confirmed by antibodies via swab tests in studies into flu transmission) is so mild that people are either totally asymptomatic (over 50%) or have very mild symptoms

Much like coronavirus, it is becoming clear

in Lancashire

It's a level of something beyond me but it's admirable and without it the system would be in dire straits..

I think people are sick of applauding the NHS. They're suffering and want others to be unhappy too.

Umm those working on the NHS were working on goodwill *before* this shit hit the fan."

Totally and if it gets watered down or removed the shit will hit the fan..

Manchester (she/her)

Umm those working on the NHS were working on goodwill *before* this shit hit the fan.

Totally and if it gets watered down or removed the shit will hit the fan.."

I fear the shit has hit the fan and those on the front line will break trying to hold it back from us.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Ive noticed people just post shite like this and disappear.

Probally a rather pitiful excuse to get some attention

That's really not the case at all. Most flu (confirmed by antibodies via swab tests in studies into flu transmission) is so mild that people are either totally asymptomatic (over 50%) or have very mild symptoms

Much like coronavirus, it is becoming clear "

Definitely not the experience I had both times I was really poorly.

notts

Much like coronavirus, it is becoming clear

Definitely not the experience I had both times I was really poorly. "

On average people have flu every couple of years (again, as shown by antibodies not symptoms, I think the average is every 5 years) so you might be an asymptomatic spreader or just usually experience it as a bit of a sneeze and a cough or two. The people who say they have flu whilst walking round etc are much more likely to be right than you thinking you've only had flu twice ever (unless you are 10, in which case I am worried you are on fab ) . You've almost certainly had it many times but only fallen seriously ill with it a few times ever. You can see how it spreads so easily as it is rare to be seriously ill with it but common to be asymptomatic or have it very mildly whilst shedding the virus to others.

notts

Excuse the smilies!

By *arahspiceCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Well put thank you .

I just call the Covidiots they just seem to be in their own little internet based world. Sad really

Manchester (she/her)

We know a lot about the flu, it's been around a long time.

We don't know enough about this yet, it's been in humans about a year. We don't know if there are long term effects, even in the mildest of cases.

You might be fine... now. You might not be fine later. And even if you are fine, you might pass it to someone who might not be.

By *arahspiceCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

How sad and spiteful

Shame on you

chelmsford

How sad and spiteful

Shame on you "

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

It’s not another flu, no.

It’s a pandemic caused by a NOT well understood new virus that hits people with different degrees of severity, although on average it appears to be significantly more severe than flu, particularly in terms of fatality rate.

It is possible to agree with the OP but also to state that you agree with hands, face, space, efficient track and trace, but that you do not agree with wrecking the economy.

It makes me laugh how if one person has an opinion that others do not agree with that they get so angry on this site. Saw a lhandbags at dawn fight on here last night on another forum issue Relax everyone is entitled to their views regardless

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

thank you for all you do and thank you for all the people in the NHS doing a selfless service

saying all that, i doubt you'll find the people who complain the most wont turn up in this thread...

the problem now is that people are so fixated about the death rate, they forget about the amount of people who end up being hospitalised with this

basically they have turned "ending up in hopsital" and made it akin to going to a holiday camp!

hospital aint nice... if you are in bad enough shape to end up in a hospital its not a pleasant experience! to road to "getting you well enough to leave" is not a bed of candy and roses!

and "getting well" does not mean full recovery! it messes with your lungs, it messes with your heart, it can mess around with other functions!!!

for weeks..... for months.... maybe for a lifetime

have a series of commercials about the real impact of covid in hospitals and i'll guarentee people will listen....

they might argue with politicans, they dare not argue with those on the front line telling it straight!

"It makes me laugh how if one person has an opinion that others do not agree with that they get so angry on this site. Saw a lhandbags at dawn fight on here last night on another forum issue Relax everyone is entitled to their views regardless

But it's clearly not their opinion it's just a spiteful posting as no one is that stupid ?"

Some people’s posting does not start as spiteful but another persons point of view and reaction can lead to it all becoming spiteful on here

By *avid ElliottCouple  over a year ago

West Worthing

"It makes me laugh how if one person has an opinion that others do not agree with that they get so angry on this site. Saw a lhandbags at dawn fight on here last night on another forum issue Relax everyone is entitled to their views regardless "

I think some peoples "opinions" are only put on there to provoke a reaction though . To make accusations against nurses is appalling , whatvreaction did you expect ?

West Worthing

The guy that posted

Was provoking a reaction and unfortunately the nurses reaction was taken down ?

liverpool

"It makes me laugh how if one person has an opinion that others do not agree with that they get so angry on this site. Saw a lhandbags at dawn fight on here last night on another forum issue Relax everyone is entitled to their views regardless

I think some peoples "opinions" are only put on there to provoke a reaction though . To make accusations against nurses is appalling , whatvreaction did you expect ? "

my grandson is a year manager in a school

has followed everything to the letter

tested positive on Thursday

his mam passed away on in April with it

By *etasubTV/TS  over a year ago

West of Newcastle

Thanks for putting it so well Charli. I know you are genuine as I had the pleasure of meeting you a while back at the GH. xxxx

By *atnat85Woman  over a year ago

northwest

I've had flu just the once, was in bed for 5 days, took about 10 to recover.

Had numerous colds over the years(mild and heavy) but was able to carry on working

Currently going through covid and wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. I'm relatively young and fit and I feel awful. It's been a week now and it's not getting s better. I ache all over, shiver, sweat, cough, headache basically feel like a pile of poo.

The hospital I work at (not been in for the past week obvs) went from 40 inpatients to 120+ in two weeks so it shows it's growing. I'm waiting for elective ops to be stood down and staff redeployed again)

So thank you OP for your hard work. I think if there was more footage of the condition of people in hospitals then people would adhere to the rules alot more.

By *asIsaCouple  over a year ago

harrow

"I tested positive on Friday and can attest that it is not like flu. I, thankfully, have a mild case but it's a weird thing, most peculiar. The change in smell and taste is bizarre. Some things are totally inedible to me now."

But it looks like you are still looking to meet ? That's certainly what your current status seems to suggest?

By *uvhandle20Man  over a year ago

SE London

A big thanks to you and your colleagues for your commitment.

Stay safe

By *reemindCoolMan  over a year ago

between Barnsley and Wakefield

Well Said

some People want to ignore an inconvenient truth, till it actually impacts them personally

The symptoms I had were weird,it wasn't flu like or even like a cold, the strange taste in my mouth was bizarre

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

Well said.

I hope you're able to rest and recuperate in your down time.

Thank you for the post and for your dedication.

Much love.

E

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"It's like another flu that kills 25 times as many people as any other common flu.

It's like another flu but we have no vaccine for it.

It's like another flu but we don't know what sort of immunity we build up to it.

Ooops maybe it's not just like another flu !"

This. ^

E

"And if all these idiots , stuck to the rules , we wouldn’t be where we are now , this pandemic will go on for years because most people think they know better than the professionals, "

"And if all these idiots , stuck to the rules , we wouldn’t be where we are now , this pandemic will go on for years because most people think they know better than the professionals, "

Thankyou op and your colleagues for your commitment....

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Three comments...

1) more strength to you op.

2) who cares if it's like another illness / cough / cold / flu.... Its irrelevant. The point is Its out of control in many of our communities and being wilfully spread by some of them, and not in some, and it kills some people and the more who have it the more it kills.

3)that arse Burnham is refusing to take any actions to stop its spread. Whatever his politics, that's just wrong.

Central

It's peculiar how having been here for 10 years, there are still some chilling posts that surprise - the 'you get paid, don't you' is quite sickening, it's devoid of empathy.

As for the flu compared to this virus. There's no argument that flu is anything like as bad as this virus . How infectious this is, being 1. The devastating volume of infections reflects this.

Death levels - over 42,000 lives lost. Flu has had a few hundred lives lost, through to a small number of thousands. It was 1,223 in 2018, from flu and complications, for example.

Both viruses can leave us with complications but this one is especially severe, affecting multiple organs, cognitive capability and even for people with mild symptoms. We don't know how people may fare should they get repeated infections. And we need to grasp that many people and the NHS, will be affected for decades. Flu is damaging but on another level from this.

It's right for us to be extremely cautious with a novel virus that's so extensive in its high scale of damages.

And of course the flu has had many years of vaccines that have been behind reducing its impact here. A universal flu vaccine is in trials that will prevent us having to estimate which strains will be prevalent each year. With vaccine take-up levels being easy to achieve, we're comparing it with this one that has no vaccine.

The symptoms of both vary in their severity but covid-19 is a much worse blow for the country.

Killer flu outbreak is to blame for a 42% spike in deaths in January after 64,000 people died - the highest number since records began.... 2018, England and Wales

"Killer flu outbreak is to blame for a 42% spike in deaths in January after 64,000 people died - the highest number since records began.... 2018, England and Wales "

It is the highest number since records began in 2006 - and only the second time it has breached 60,000.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Is this pandemic being compered to Spanish flu?

"Killer flu outbreak is to blame for a 42% spike in deaths in January after 64,000 people died - the highest number since records began.... 2018, England and Wales

It is the highest number since records began in 2006 - and only the second time it has breached 60,000.

"

the last time more than 60,000 people died in a month was January 2015 - when an aggressive flu outbreak triggered a surge of deaths

By *he Ring WraithMan  over a year ago

Bradford

However many times people who know the truth post on these threads and in the media the people who refuse to believe this is serious or will never affect them will continue to break the rules imposed by law as well as the rules imposed by fab at this time.

I have just read a profile on here asking for two more couples to join four couples already invited to a party next saturday, this is in lincoln and under the rule of 6, my reckoning is that will make 7 couples so 14 people if you count the hosts; yet it is still there; reported, twice by two different people so far nothing done, maybe it takes a few days for the site to act i do not know - but these people and people of the same mind ARE THE PROBLEM !!

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

"Killer flu outbreak is to blame for a 42% spike in deaths in January after 64,000 people died - the highest number since records began.... 2018, England and Wales

"

That figure for April this year was 88K

chelmsford

"However many times people who know the truth post on these threads and in the media the people who refuse to believe this is serious or will never affect them will continue to break the rules imposed by law as well as the rules imposed by fab at this time.

I have just read a profile on here asking for two more couples to join four couples already invited to a party next saturday, this is in lincoln and under the rule of 6, my reckoning is that will make 7 couples so 14 people if you count the hosts; yet it is still there; reported, twice by two different people so far nothing done, maybe it takes a few days for the site to act i do not know - but these people and people of the same mind ARE THE PROBLEM !!"

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Is this pandemic being compered to Spanish flu?"

well the spanish flu killed more people in its "second wave" than it did in its first.... so be weary!

By *nigmatic_AngelWoman  over a year ago

The place where fairies live

"my grandson is a year manager in a school

has followed everything to the letter

tested positive on Thursday

his mam passed away on in April with it

"

So sorry to hear this

In all my time on the forums I think this is THE worst reply I have ever read. It has sickened me.

Shame on you.

V

By *amesoflondonMan  over a year ago

London

If you don't like this guys post, report him to admin, don't feed the troll.

PS. I pimped a 'for sale' sign outside my house into a heart and 'NHS Love you' sign, I wish that that would catch on over the UK

chelmsford

In all my time on the forums I think this is THE worst reply I have ever read. It has sickened me.

Shame on you.

V"

It is sick

By *ingerie whoreTV/TS  over a year ago

kirk hammerton

Iv followed the rules and I have caught it really is awfull

By *amesoflondonMan  over a year ago

London

"Iv followed the rules and I have caught it really is awfull"

are you recovered? - I hope so, do you have support if not? ?

By *ougarsandcubsWoman  over a year ago

Medway

Hallelujah a true vouce

kirk hammerton

Yes iv still got it and I'm coping just I have had pneumonia in past but this is a whole new level

West Worthing

Shame on you.

V

It is sick "

The nurses reply got taken down !!

West Worthing

"The symptoms I had were weird,it wasn't flu like or even like a cold, the strange taste in my mouth was bizarre"

Combined with unable to get your breath is really scary , I felt at one stage i had taken my last breath

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

What’s really needed is a social media live channel from those on the front line showing the true picture. I know people who are convinced it’s all a hoax and there are not even any real patients!!

I fear you have a very tough few months ahead OP. There will always be some dumbasses but the rest of us really appreciate your efforts. Thank you

West Worthing

Why is this post still on here when the nurses response to it was removed ?

Shame on you.

V

It is sick

The nurses reply got taken down !!"

That’s crazy! I am also in nursing. I was on my break working a night shift. I’m still shocked by the comment

By *litoris_AllsortssWoman  over a year ago

There , or thereabouts in

How many would die from Flu if we didnt have any vaccinations ??

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

My coffee now tastes like the mouthwash you get at dentists to rinse with..

I too recently tested positive, I have been taking all precautions I can; regular hand washing, social distancing and wearing a mask when required and when I also felt necessary, such as outside on a busy street.

I am certain when I contracted the disease; on a busy underground train with a number of people not wearing masks. They were mainly male's in their 20's and also some hippy types who had been protesting in London they day..

It is unfortunate that a small minority of people do not follow the rules, simply because they are not enforceable.

Until the laws are tightened and people are fined for infringement, this virus will keep being spread by the ignorant who spout rubbish about human rights..

The rest of us have the right not to catch the virus off the rule flouters and surely our right to preservation of life and health should outweigh the rights of those whose beliefs cause harm to others..

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"How many would die from Flu if we didnt have any vaccinations ??"
well since june, around 1000 per, week have been dying from the flu and that's with a vaccination.we havnt hit the peak flu season yet I don't see any hysteria about that

By *outhlondon_guyMan  over a year ago

London

"How many would die from Flu if we didnt have any vaccinations ??well since june, around 1000 per, week have been dying from the flu and that's with a vaccination.we havnt hit the peak flu season yet I don't see any hysteria about that "

Do you really think 1000 people per week have been dying since June in the UK with flu?

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

Don’t post in the virus group often but, dear CG, nothing more than big hug (well a virtual one) from me.

V x

in Lancashire

"How many would die from Flu if we didnt have any vaccinations ??well since june, around 1000 per, week have been dying from the flu and that's with a vaccination.we havnt hit the peak flu season yet I don't see any hysteria about that "

Source please?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Interesting. Could you share your source for that information.?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

So go on... give me a logical and considered argument, how is this in any way just another flu?

What’s really needed is a social media live channel from those on the front line showing the true picture. I know people who are convinced it’s all a hoax and there are not even any real patients!!

I fear you have a very tough few months ahead OP. There will always be some dumbasses but the rest of us really appreciate your efforts. Thank you "

What we needed at the beginning was a media blitz showing people dying in hospital, showing families mourning, showing the full uncensored effects of this. Instead we got Boris boasting about shaking hands with everyone. I have still not seen any coverage of the sick and dying. Nothing showing the detail of those dying. No pictures of the dead.

Some of you may be old enough to remember the car passenger seatbelt campaigns, and d*unk driver campaigns. You might also remember that most of those campaigns had little effect - until the one that showed pictures of people that had gone through windscreens. That had interviews with survivors that would never walk again. That talked to the parents of children killed by d*unk drivers.

This is what we need, something that cannot be ignored, that cannot be called a hoax. Something that will punch people in the gut. We need "strictly come covid" and "the great british deathwatch". "Help I'm a celebrity, get me a vaccination" - but there isn't a vaccine and one by one they die.

Too much? Poor taste? Not if it saved lives.

By *edandLouCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

Yet your current status hints that you want a meet.....

You have Covid yet your last two status updates are blatantly looking for a meet??

Unbelievable

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

Why is this post still on here when the nurses response to it was removed ?"

Because apart from it being a insensitive comment nothing they said was false or abusive,

I had a very bad accident about 15 years ago and was looked after by a few nurses and loads more in background who I didn't see, I have nothing but respect for the dedication they put in, I know I couldn't do there job

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

I fear you have a very tough few months ahead OP. There will always be some dumbasses but the rest of us really appreciate your efforts. Thank you

What we needed at the beginning was a media blitz showing people dying in hospital, showing families mourning, showing the full uncensored effects of this. Instead we got Boris boasting about shaking hands with everyone. I have still not seen any coverage of the sick and dying. Nothing showing the detail of those dying. No pictures of the dead.

Some of you may be old enough to remember the car passenger seatbelt campaigns, and d*unk driver campaigns. You might also remember that most of those campaigns had little effect - until the one that showed pictures of people that had gone through windscreens. That had interviews with survivors that would never walk again. That talked to the parents of children killed by d*unk drivers.

This is what we need, something that cannot be ignored, that cannot be called a hoax. Something that will punch people in the gut. We need "strictly come covid" and "the great british deathwatch". "Help I'm a celebrity, get me a vaccination" - but there isn't a vaccine and one by one they die.

Too much? Poor taste? Not if it saved lives."

I'm not sure what you watch but the little bit I cant avoid of telly news and read of written news it's a non stop stream.of panic and reports of cases of covid and how we are all going to die, ffs the average age of covid deaths is 82, less than 3000 under 65 have died with it and the huge majority of those have at least one other serious health condition.

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

I don’t really understand the red zone... no experience of it ... but looking at a figure in isolation may not provide an accurate representation ... discharges in this case are also important.

We’ve had our oxygen alarm go off twice today warning we are placing a strain on the system beyond it’s advised safe limit,

This oxygen things been discussed previously.... it’s a relatively simple thing to rectify... ask your trust why this has not been done!

we’ve also cleared and prepared an additional ward and operating theatre to take our patient surplus as a repeat of today’s admissions would actually take us past our remaining beds in the red zone.

There’s the nightingale?

Closed a theatre? Nightingale surely?

We have also sadly lost a pair of patients who have been in our care for 3 and 4 weeks respectively.

2 lives lost? In a hospital? Is this not par for the course?

We have every age group with us now from 16 plus, yes a majority over 60 but it includes 3 students in their late teens. We have also lost 2 members of staff from my team in the past days who are now off after testing positive for covid-19. We are hoping we don’t repeat the experience of seeing either of them return to us as critical patients which sadly we’ve had to experience earlier this year.

You haven’t ‘lost’ the two staff members they’re away from work .... you don’t say whether they have symptoms or not so it has little context .... this is happening in workplaces all over the country/world ... as of 1st October you had c.700 off due to Covid and another 1000 off for other reasons.... these figures may be skewed by test track and trace, self isolation, etc. I’ve spent days off work due to my child’s cough and her not being allowed into school.

I can’t just come for the day... I would... it’s just not like that.

The comparisons have all been said elsewhere numerous times I won’t add to it ... but there is context to be applied from both sides.

"I don’t really understand the red zone... no experience of it ... but looking at a figure in isolation may not provide an accurate representation ... discharges in this case are also important."

The red zone - a sealed environment to treat those effected with covid, a soft or hard PPE only environment with a donning and doffing facility to ensure infection is controlled.

Alongside admissions we had 1 transfer from ICU to the HDU due to improvement and 2 deaths... 22 in, 3 out. As a marker... people arriving are likely to be with us for 2 weeks plus, our longest resident covid patient was with us for 4 months.

As a marker we maintain a steady patient level with 3-4 admissions a week, less and we start to empty, more and we start filling beds.

"This oxygen things been discussed previously.... it’s a relatively simple thing to rectify... ask your trust why this has not been done!"

I can assure you it’s a massive issue in many trusts. We have added an additional storage tank, upgraded pumps and valves throughout our system in past months. The issue as with elsewhere is the pipe network, we draw too much oxygen from the system in the red zone and reach capacity.

There is a solution which is to fracture and spread out the red zone within the hospital but this obviously requires the closure of services to use their space plus it fractures the distance between key members of are team and negatively affects clinical care. It’s a catch 22 scenario.

I don’t need to ask my trust anything, I’ve spent 6 months discussing the intricacies with our team, hospital management, maintenance and BOC who are the industry leaders in these systems. It may surprise you but undertaking major pipe replacement or additions is not possible in a busy clinical area during a pandemic.

"

There’s the nightingale?"

The NW nightingale has zero ventilated beds, just basic oxygen therapy. It also currently has zero consultants, nurses, radiologists, surgical team etc... even in London/Birmingham etc where they have ventilation/CPAP they currently have zero staff. To man them it would mean taking staff from other services

"

Closed a theatre? Nightingale surely? "

As above... plus you do realise you’d need to send in effect 3 consultant grade medics with a patient in our care to keep them alive during the transfer... even in a scenario where we had provision the logistics would deliver a new challenge

"2 lives lost? In a hospital? Is this not par for the course? "

Dealing with the concept of death is not an issue, it is however not the nicest experience to be in direct involvement with.

On ICU it is unfortunately a higher toll then other areas of the hospital obviously. As a team most of us have now dealt with an individual tally into the 100’s over this period and that is dramatically higher than our normality. Our worst day had our team have to deal with 14 fatalities over 12 hours.

I’ll be honest your statement is a bit flippant, I’m not interested in sympathy, what I am illustrating is the contrast. Our ICU dealt with around 80 flu deaths last year, our covid stats stand in excess of 600 or over 900 depending on how you want to qualify ‘covid deaths’ (And know we haven’t had any buses drive through ICU). For clarity we’ve seen perhaps 4 times the amount of bodies we’d usually deal with over this year, many of these concentrated in very short periods of time. When we talk about mental health during the pandemic there is a sub header reserved for the frontline staff on covid wards, as a consultant at BRI commented in the press this week, mentally and physically teams are exhausted.

"You haven’t ‘lost’ the two staff members they’re away from work .... you don’t say whether they have symptoms or not so it has little context .... this is happening in workplaces all over the country/world ... as of 1st October you had c.700 off due to Covid and another 1000 off for other reasons.... these figures may be skewed by test track and trace, self isolation, etc. I’ve spent days off work due to my child’s cough and her not being allowed into school."

I think lost is entirely appropriate as a word, we are playing with two people missing from our already stretched team, staff is a massive issue for us as it’s the most important factor in how many we can treat. For context, both staff are quite unwell, one is a lady in her 50’s which we are all pretty worried about.

"I can’t just come for the day... I would... it’s just not like that."

Actually you could, we allow a relative a single hour within the red zone to say goodbye to patients, that however is in fates hand. You skew the point though... as with many you have an outlook or opinion which downplays the seriousness of the reality. In many ways I feel you are a little bit like a guy who’s read up on Afghanistan telling a Para “yeah I don’t think Hellumund was that bad”... you haven’t earned the right to judge what it’s like if I’m blunt.

"The comparisons have all been said elsewhere numerous times I won’t add to it ... but there is context to be applied from both sides.

"

Not really, we are just entering “flu season” which by co-incidence has always been identified as covid-19’s optimum time for transmission... we stand at over 40,000 deaths (arguably 60k+) and whatever the future brings.... flu will historically bring 10,000 deaths each year, so far we are behind on the flu figures suggesting a lesser outcome than 2019. I maintain, Covid-19 is not just another flu bug, it’s impact despite all of the extreme measures we have used to minimise it’s harm have and continue to be devastating. On deaths alone flu won’t come close.

I appreciate your post, it’s tone and I think it highlights a number of valid misconceptions that exist within the general public. I hope you realise that whilst my answers don’t agree with your outlook my reply (which lacks the ability of tone) is quite respectful of your points.

By *amaraBeaverbankWoman  over a year ago

Benidorm Spain

I was wondering the same. The person who posted about getting f paid needs to have a good long hard look at themselves

"I was wondering the same. The person who posted about getting f paid needs to have a good long hard look at themselves

You get paid dont you? its not charity work and no one is forcing you to do it. Most of us just go to work and get on with it.

I can only guess the nurse choose to delete to avoid any negative replies.

In truth I’m glad his posts still up... if he wants to wear that t-shirt, well, fair enough. People can take their own view on him.

"I was wondering the same. The person who posted about getting f paid needs to have a good long hard look at themselves

Why is this post still on here when the nurses response to it was removed ?

I can only guess the nurse choose to delete to avoid any negative replies.

In truth I’m glad his posts still up... if he wants to wear that t-shirt, well, fair enough. People can take their own view on him."

I dont know what was said but it looks like it was removed rather that deleted by the poster.

By *amaraBeaverbankWoman  over a year ago

Benidorm Spain

Fair enough. Thanks for pointing that out as I was curious too

Manchester (she/her)

Solidarity, OP.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"It's very hard to know what is true these days,photos can be put up from ages ago so matters not what date they have, but ones with masks on are obviously fairly recent, we had a chap move in next to us last year who told me he was a doctor on a childs cancer ward was very convincing and appeared 100% genuine, turns out he was making every word of it up.

As to the OP who knows, I really hope its genuine"

A right Walter Mitty,. This is pretty serious, as people believe these fraudsters and end up paying for it. Cancer is one thing, but this is lower than low. Should be a law against dangerous fantasists tlike that.

By *j48Man  over a year ago

Wigan

Because quite frankly whenever a patient over 65 is hospitalised for any reason and for more than a week in any hospital they detirorate whithin a week or so..

Hospital pneumonia is the standard response from Doctors irrespective of the symptoms

First hand experience of this. My father had a stroke in Hospital and it took nearly 10 days for a doctor to actually agree that was had happened

Jesus Christ for 10 days the best they came up with was paracetamol by drip.. Its pneumonia

Is it fuck he's had a stroke

Sat dowm in some "doctors" office

I'm really sorry but your father has had a stroke...

No shit sherlock

The old fella was dead a week later

The Nhs is appalling in everything apart from stitching on a severed part of a body

GOD complex - it's impossible to save every life, so don't pretend you can

Be realistic and actually know what's what before you brush of what you think is a sheep..

"

Because quite frankly whenever a patient over 65 is hospitalised for any reason and for more than a week in any hospital they detirorate whithin a week or so..

Hospital pneumonia is the standard response from Doctors irrespective of the symptoms

First hand experience of this. My father had a stroke in Hospital and it took nearly 10 days for a doctor to actually agree that was had happened

Jesus Christ for 10 days the best they came up with was paracetamol by drip.. Its pneumonia

No shit sherlock

The Nhs is appalling in everything apart from stitching on a severed part of a body

Be realistic and actually know what's what before you brush of what you think is a sheep..

"

Perhaps you should experience healthcare in another country, we are incredibly lucky to have what we have for free x

Wigan

"

No shit sherlock

Perhaps you should experience healthcare in another country, we are incredibly lucky to have what we have for free x"

Ha ha.. May as well be, not one of the Doctors first language was English..

All "hot desking" around laptops looking at various drugs and permutations of for the poor sods in the Beds

Fat nurses walking around in overalls two sizes too big and the legs of which are all frayed under their shoes as they're too long...

Just agree and walk off, then next visit all change new Doctors, different nurses. Start all over again

He's had a stroke

Was like groundhog day for nearly 7 weeks

A shit show and that's being kind

liverpool

"

No shit sherlock

Perhaps you should experience healthcare in another country, we are incredibly lucky to have what we have for free x

All "hot desking" around laptops looking at various drugs and permutations of for the poor sods in the Beds

Fat nurses walking around in overalls two sizes too big and the legs of which are all frayed under their shoes as they're too long...

Just agree and walk off, then next visit all change new Doctors, different nurses. Start all over again

He's had a stroke

A shit show and that's being kind"

We should just have English doctors?

Fat nurses?

Manchester (she/her)

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

"

Goodness, people clever enough to be doctors and speak more than one language.

Why do nurses have to be thin?

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

You're placing the blame in the wrong place.

By *ensual_duoCouple  over a year ago

bath

Anyone who thinks its just flu is naive. Engineered in a chinese lab and escaped. Not the first time either. We dont shut the worlds ecomony down for flu we vacinate against it and even its mutations.

Governments know its potential hence the extent we have gone to in prevention. Its lethal for some and nothing to orhers. Ignore it and roll the dice

Manchester (she/her)

"And if all these idiots , stuck to the rules , we wouldn’t be where we are now , this pandemic will go on for years because most people think they know better than the professionals,

You're placing the blame in the wrong place."

If those idiots had done their jobs, governed, and not lined the pockets of their mates and ignored the science, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Wigan

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

Why do nurses have to be thin?"

Because their English second language is almost impossible to understand

They're "selling" health.. Overweight just can't keep up with the pace so they cut corners, do the absolute minimum.. Then go home..

liverpool

"Anyone who thinks its just flu is naive. Engineered in a chinese lab and escaped. Not the first time either. We dont shut the worlds ecomony down for flu we vacinate against it and even its mutations.

Governments know its potential hence the extent we have gone to in prevention. Its lethal for some and nothing to orhers. Ignore it and roll the dice"

Why did they engineer it?

liverpool

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

They're "selling" health.. Overweight just can't keep up with the pace so they cut corners, do the absolute minimum.. Then go home..

"

You dont go into a hospital..check out the nurses waist line and go..yes I think I'll have treatment here.

Manchester (she/her)

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

"

Nurses aren't selling health they're caring for people

And maybe you should make the effort. Or lobby for supported training for locals if you don't like it that much.

By *ncemoreroundthesunCouple  over a year ago

A town and place not in the UK

There is no vaccine for the dangerously stupid and arrogant who have exacerbated this with their hubris.

We feel so sad for you and all who have tried to help during this, fighting two enemies, the virus and the other one wearing shoes.

Wigan

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

You dont go into a hospital..check out the nurses waist line and go..yes I think I'll have treatment here."

But you do look from the outside in..

The billions it costs and it continually fails. When there's a national issue we have to stay at home so it doesn't get overwhelmed and clap them

Ha ha

Clap away... Guess what it still can't cope.

A great socialist idea, and who above mentioned it being free...

Is it bollocks, it costs billions and can't diagnose a stroke.

Chasing a virus down? not a chance..

By *nigmatic_AngelWoman  over a year ago

The place where fairies live

[Removed by poster at 20/10/20 21:43:51]

liverpool

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

You dont go into a hospital..check out the nurses waist line and go..yes I think I'll have treatment here.

The billions it costs and it continually fails. When there's a national issue we have to stay at home so it doesn't get overwhelmed and clap them

Ha ha

Chasing a virus down? not a chance.. "

Do you?

I only go in the hospital when I need too.

My dad had a heart attack a few years ago.They took him in and he had a 2nd one.

They saved his life and he was out in a few weeks.He didnt pay a penny.

If that's a socialist idea it's one of the fucking few things in this country to be proud of.

liverpool

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

Ha ha

Do you?

My dad had a heart attack a few years ago.They took him in and he had a 2nd one.

If that's a socialist idea it's one of the fucking few things in this country to be proud of.

"

Maybe I should have insisted he was operated on by someone english.

Wigan

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

Ha ha

Do you?

"

We all pay in for substandard - that's my point..

Not being given a bill on the day of being sent home isn't so fantastic. If it was, how many would pay?

Not the dead that's for sure

Now if this doesn’t hammer the message home I really don’t know what it will take! Total respect to you for being on the front line and facing this, I know a lot of people wouldn’t have the courage!

It’s not just flu ffs it’s killing people and not just those with the virus, other people who need medical treatment for a whole host of conditions. Let’s just all do our bit and show some support to the NHS and respect for others

Manchester (she/her)

"Now if this doesn’t hammer the message home I really don’t know what it will take! Total respect to you for being on the front line and facing this, I know a lot of people wouldn’t have the courage!

It’s not just flu ffs it’s killing people and not just those with the virus, other people who need medical treatment for a whole host of conditions. Let’s just all do our bit and show some support to the NHS and respect for others"

This has to be the lowest of the low, your a total disgrace

liverpool

"

No shit sherlock

He's had a stroke

Fat nurses?

Ha ha

Do you?

We all pay in for substandard - that's my point..

Not being given a bill on the day of being sent home isn't so fantastic. If it was, how many would pay?

Not the dead that's for sure

"

Saving someone's life isnt substandard.

By *essiejamesABCCouple  over a year ago

Salisbury

The OP clearly goes to work and gets on with it and so much more besides. Obviously no one you care about has had serious case of this virus yet. I sincerely hope they don't, you on the other hand, maybe you could do with seeing first hand what the OP and their colleagues are going through on a daily basis.

Unfortunately you are right. Shock and horror is the only thing that effects people, that was the 80s 90s though, with x box and shot em up, is anyone that effected by anyone else's suffering unless it's their own.

Thank you OP for the insight and stay safe, keep us updated we would be grateful for your unedited views, certainly made me think x

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Thanks for taking the time it is a wonderfull post and very informative.

You are amazing and have my greatest respect

So go on... give me a logical and considered argument, how is this in any way just another flu? Thanks for taking the time it is a wonderfull post and very informative.

You are amazing and have my greatest respect"

Fully endorse the support, total respect, thank you

Sometimes I dispair at the utter ignorance of some people.

[Removed by poster at 20/10/20 22:43:23]

Sometimes I dispair at the utter ignorance of some people. "

Don’t despair the majority of people on fab may not agree with all the restrictions but we all do our bit in the hope it will makes things better for everyone. Have to confess the comment about the nhs being paid was particularly hostile but you have to accept that some of the single guys on here think they can do, say what they want

Don’t despair the majority of people on fab may not agree with all the restrictions but we all do our bit in the hope it will makes things better for everyone. Have to confess the comment about the nhs being paid was particularly hostile but you have to accept that some of the single guys on here think they can do, say what they want"

Do you have a source for that info?

West Worthing

Don’t despair the majority of people on fab may not agree with all the restrictions but we all do our bit in the hope it will makes things better for everyone. Have to confess the comment about the nhs being paid was particularly hostile but you have to accept that some of the single guys on here think they can do, say what they want"

Indeed , it just seems odd why some guys who have no idea what's going on in the hospitals seem to think they have some kind of insight. Then all they show is their ignorance.

Central

Sometimes I dispair at the utter ignorance of some people. "

I think those ignorant individuals would be the last to have wanted to help out our over-burdened health and care facilities earlier this year. They don't have the cojones to do what any of them have been doing every day, whilst losing colleagues and friends, they just throw their rancid insults around. Not even able to show some respect or gratitude. Whilst the search goes on in the cosmos for non-human life, I find it hard to contemplate human life amongst some here.

kirk hammerton

"Iv followed the rules and I have caught it really is awfull

are you recovered? - I hope so, do you have support if not? ?"

still struggling it is so debilitating sapping every ounce of energy from me x

Iv had proper flu in my 20s that was bad enough really wouldn’t like it sgain let alone this virus

Don’t despair the majority of people on fab may not agree with all the restrictions but we all do our bit in the hope it will makes things better for everyone. Have to confess the comment about the nhs being paid was particularly hostile but you have to accept that some of the single guys on here think they can do, say what they want

Do you have a source for that info? "

Also easy to see why some of the single men on the site for 9 months don’t have any verifications , now there is a surpris

You utter, utter dope. Sigh.

Total solidarity with the OP, well said and thank you for your hard work

Sure you wont think it's like flu if you get it especially the over forties with preexisting medical conditions

Ty so much I always wear a mask and keep safe but unfortunately it's not stopped me getting I'll all stay safe xx

I wonder how long it has been around 3 years ago I had the worst viral infection I've ever experienced and all the symptoms were as COVID.I lost my taste and smell and to this day still dnt have it back properly. Nothing smells or tastes the same. I felt like I was going to die and doctors would give me nothing so 3 months I had to put up with it. Until I found some old antibiotics and took them. Thankfully they did help having been told 3 times they dnt help. Was it COVID who knows

Let's here you say this if you become ill. I dnt wish it on anyone but that remark is pure ignorance. Shame on you.

"

I can't, sorry. Tried use their arguments but nothing they say makes sense.

Only conclusion I can come up with is from anyone who has had it and says that is, they only experienced flu like symptoms.

Many haven't however and one thing this virus hasn't displayed yet which for me is the biggest worry if you survive. Some studies are coming out showing that Covid19 can leave major organs damage not detected until much later on.

There have been concerns raised that we could have serious health issues later in life due to having Covid19.

If this proves to be the case, it asks some big questions that few have thought about.

Covid may leave it's mark long after its controlled. Life insurance companies/ health policies etc may rewrite the small print.

It may be taken more seriously by those who act as if it's nothing more than the common flu.

So to answer you question I can't for the life of me. I wish I could though.

"

Only conclusion I can come up with is from anyone who has had it and says that is, they only experienced flu like symptoms.

Many haven't however and one thing this virus hasn't displayed yet which for me is the biggest worry if you survive. Some studies are coming out showing that Covid19 can leave major organs damage not detected until much later on.

There have been concerns raised that we could have serious health issues later in life due to having Covid19.

If this proves to be the case, it asks some big questions that few have thought about.

Covid may leave it's mark long after its controlled. Life insurance companies/ health policies etc may rewrite the small print.

It may be taken more seriously by those who act as if it's nothing more than the common flu.

"

Agreed, long covid is not clever in the slightest and the numbers showing issues is quite frightening x

Wigan

"

Agreed, long covid is not clever in the slightest and the numbers showing issues is quite frightening x"

Ohh yeah that's the next "scare" long covid..

That's being peddled to try to drag it all out before the ineptitude from day one is brought to task... That is of course before any of this government and its cronies dissapear into the sunset with thier golden pension pots and payoffs for failure as is the norm

Long Covid, my Arse

in Lancashire

"

Agreed, long covid is not clever in the slightest and the numbers showing issues is quite frightening x

That's being peddled to try to drag it all out before the ineptitude from day one is brought to task... That is of course before any of this government and its cronies dissapear into the sunset with thier golden pension pots and payoffs for failure as is the norm

Long Covid, my Arse "

My sister is about to lose her job teaching because of long covid..

It affecting people who only had the virus to a mild level, it's real..

The NHS is playing catch up with it..

An not in disagreement in relation to this government but perhaps do some research before trying to diminish what is for some people a life changing issue post covid..

"Ohh yeah that's the next "scare" long covid..

Long Covid, my Arse "

Long Covid is a massive issue, 30,000 diagnosed and counting. Your post is ridiculous.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

It strikes me that the virus not only kills but does leave some with long term health issues. If you have clear proof that it doesn't. I'm sure the government and its leading medical advisors would love to hear from you

"

Long Covid, my Arse "

Long Covid has disabled a friend of mine. A young fit woman, model and fitness instructor. Her heart is damaged. She can't work, struggles to speak. Another friend, my age has been unable to work since she caught covid in March. It's very real, not a "scare".

OP, thanks for your post, and for your work. x

Manchester (she/her)

Long Covid, my Arse

Long Covid is a massive issue, 30,000 diagnosed and counting. Your post is ridiculous."

Too many are stuck in "it hasn't hurt me so it's not real"

By *cloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

Long Covid, my Arse

"

I'm one of the diagnosed - i had Covid in April & still struggling now. Its not pleasant & some days its debilitating

I had flu a few years ago & strangely enough wasn't recovering for nearly 7 month

I'm also a front line nurse . . . . Ill leave that one right there

Thanks for all your medical knowledge though that probably from out of your arse

By *essiejamesABCCouple  over a year ago

Salisbury

Long Covid, my Arse

I'm one of the diagnosed - i had Covid in April & still struggling now. Its not pleasant & some days its debilitating

I had flu a few years ago & strangely enough wasn't recovering for nearly 7 month

Thanks for all your medical knowledge though that probably from out of your arse

"

Sorry to hear your still struggling with it. Best of luck to you in your recovery. Be assured that the majority of the country are grateful for your efforts on the front line, we are not all idiots with our head up our arses. Keep up the good work and thanks for your efforts.

Long Covid, my Arse

Sorry to hear your still struggling with it. Best of luck to you in your recovery. Be assured that the majority of the country are grateful for your efforts on the front line, we are not all idiots with our head up our arses. Keep up the good work and thanks for your efforts. "

Echo the above sentiments, our nurses are doing a fantastic job, the ignorance of some on here is quite mind blowing, thank god the majority are sensible and are trying to do their bit by staying safe. My other half is also a nurse, she was confirmed with Covid in April and yes, still suffetring... flu? My arse !

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

Long Covid, my Arse

Sorry to hear your still struggling with it. Best of luck to you in your recovery. Be assured that the majority of the country are grateful for your efforts on the front line, we are not all idiots with our head up our arses. Keep up the good work and thanks for your efforts. "

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

Pneumonia is called old mans friend..... maybe Covid is just the new old mans friend?

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

Total solidarity with the OP, well said and thank you for your hard work "

Those two sentences are not contradictory. Yes NHS staff are doing a good job but that is what they are paid to do. If you spend that long training without realising it's a tough job then something has gone wrong.

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"Do you?

"

Total solidarity with the OP, well said and thank you for your hard work

Those two sentences are not contradictory. Yes NHS staff are doing a good job but that is what they are paid to do. If you spend that long training without realising it's a tough job then something has gone wrong. "

Actually I think you need to appreciate for those at the very sharp end it has gotten ridiculously difficult on many levels. The environment, demand, trauma levels etc have all gone way above the normality of what is always a very demanding job.

This isn’t the army, you don’t go and experience intense pressure etc and then get relieved, pulled from the frontline etc. These people have been working under extraordinary circumstances for months without respite.

Amongst our staff we have people who went to help during the Ebola crisis in. Sierra Leone, these are tough, experienced people but it doesn’t make the invulnerable.

“Something has gone wrong?”, no shit... the world has and actually the burden of that falls on the health workers across the globe to try to deal with it.

I’m glad you feel you have the right to take such a ridiculously naive viewpoint from up there in the remote highlands... very brave.

oban

"

I’m glad you feel you have the right to take such a ridiculously naive viewpoint from up there in the remote highlands... very brave.

"

I don't think it's niave to think that NHS staff are doing their job and I don't see what my location has to do with it.

Manchester (she/her)

No one signed up for this. Particularly at the sharp end of it.

oban

"No one signed up for this. Particularly at the sharp end of it."

And I think that's the (slightly) naive thing. What did they sign up for? Dealing with crises is something I would consider part of the job description.

Manchester (she/her)

"No one signed up for this. Particularly at the sharp end of it.

And I think that's the (slightly) naive thing. What did they sign up for? Dealing with crises is something I would consider part of the job description."

There's crisis and then there's global catastrophe that seemingly has no end, on top of funding cuts and staff shortages.

Manchester (she/her)

I do stuff at the much softer end of dealing with Covid issues, and holy shit I did not sign up for any of this. And it's a piece of piss compared with what the OP is doing.

oban

I don't know what the OP does so I can't comment but it does make me wish I'd followed the family line and studied medicine.

Manchester (she/her)

"I don't know what the OP does so I can't comment but it does make me wish I'd followed the family line and studied medicine."

There are clues in the OP.

But this is a global crisis unlike what we've seen in our lifetimes. By definition I don't think any of us could have signed up for it.

"No one signed up for this. Particularly at the sharp end of it.

And I think that's the (slightly) naive thing. What did they sign up for? Dealing with crises is something I would consider part of the job description."

Tell that to our ICU porters who on average deal with 2-3 deaths a week at peak times... their worst week to date was 32. Oh, and they do it for £16 an hour. One of ours has also had to spend 12 weeks in NHS accommodation as his family at home includes a seriously at risk mother alongside his wife and kids. He’s had to move back into it this week.

Add to that one deceased nurse from our team, 4 members of staff on long term sick with long covid. Another member of The Northwest ambulance team who services our hospital dead.

You have no concept of the reality shift these people have faced and dealt with. Your comment made from the picturesque and sedate surroundings of Oban is just laughable in truth, if you spent 1 hour with these people seeing what they do you’d feel ashamed.

oban

Humanity has been overdue a pandemic for decades. Of course it was coming. We're just lucky it's not as lethal as it could have been.

Manchester (she/her)

"Humanity has been overdue a pandemic for decades. Of course it was coming. We're just lucky it's not as lethal as it could have been."

So the people going through untold trauma, saving us from it, signed up for it and we shouldn't feel empathy for them?

I cannot condemn such a view in strong enough terms.

oban

I didn't say you shouldn't feel empathy for them, you can if you want. Though I fail to see how doing their job causes them trauma.

However we'll never agree so let's move on.

"I don't know what the OP does so I can't comment but it does make me wish I'd followed the family line and studied medicine."

I’m a PPE warden, I look after our team and visitors PPE and it’s associated procedures within the red zone. I also support our porters and crash team when required and chaperone relatives who wish to say their goodbyes.

I am not a career NHS employee, I started working for them at the start of this crisis due to my past military background first employed at the NW nightingale and now a central Manchester trust.

If you want one bit of insight, I spent time in Kosovo and witnessed a fair amount of horror viewing what the human race can do at its very worst... in truth that was mentally far easier to deal with than this current environment.

I don’t wish for any sympathy, I just find your comments hugely insulting to what in truth is the most selfless, brave and determined individuals I’ve ever been lucky enough to work with.