FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Let the vulnerable protect themselves

Let the vulnerable protect themselves

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I am someone who is classed as vulnerable.

But I don't expect society to shut down to protect me.

What I want is for normal society to return and I will take my chances and protect myself by social distancing and masks and other measures. And Government advice would not go amiss, nor would a good testing system

And if that means I cannot hug my kids or go to the pub until a vaccine is found then so be it.

Why should I expect everyone else's lives to be totally disrupted for my sake and for the minority of others classed as vulnerable ?

It's just wrong and plain selfish..

Anybody else vulnerable who agrees with me ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

Yep. I think we should have a referendum on it. We all know we should just take care and get on. It’s up to people to make their own efforts. With some given a little government help.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I am in the vulnerable age group but dnt class myself as vulnerable. Im fit im healthy and am happy to take my chances. I keep myself safe and everyone around me. I do what is expected of me as a mature responsible woman. So I agree it should be our own responsibility to look after ourselves and our loved ones. I dnt expect the country to look after me.

By *urekamanfor2Man  over a year ago

Canterbury

That's rediculous and not possible for the majority of vulnerable though .

If you need carers or any kind of outside support the virus would then be brought into those vulnerable

"I am someone who is classed as vulnerable.

What I want is for normal society to return and I will take my chances and protect myself by social distancing and masks and other measures. And Government advice would not go amiss, nor would a good testing system

And if that means I cannot hug my kids or go to the pub until a vaccine is found then so be it.

Why should I expect everyone else's lives to be totally disrupted for my sake and for the minority of others classed as vulnerable ?

Anybody else vulnerable who agrees with me ?"

As an obvious question, do you think every vulnerable person in the U.K. lives in solitude?

If not... how do they do that, how do they protect themselves?

Perhaps you do actually live with others? If so then you can make as many selfless statements as you like but those in your household would have to limit their behaviour to keep you safe. It’s not really a choice, just the reality of the situation tbh

By *incsladyandscotsmanCouple  over a year ago

North fife

Somewhere sometime we need to realise that this virus with with us and is not going away. The normal time period for a successful (not rushed in hope) vaccine is 10 years.

Therefore we need to live with this.... The question is playing hide and seek with it the correct strategy?

The vulnerable will need to be protected, however lives need to be lived. It's an unhappy balancing act.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I have a blood disorder which comprises my immune system.. I was shielding....

I could not agree with you less......

Basically we are all in this together and if we all just wear a bloody mask... the spread would be nowhere near as bad as it is!

The fact that so many people are trying to bend the rules or just ignore them... that’s the problem!... they are the ones being selfish!

How has a piece of cotton become such a divisive thing.......

Every abides by the rules and we get some sort of something resembling normality back

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

I’m not in a vulnerable group but I sure hope that if I find myself in a car accident in mid November that there will be a spare ICU bed somewhere to treat me. There will be no beds and no none elective treatment if cases continue on the current trajectory. I was for all the “shield and the rest carry on idea” early in this pandemic but it just won’t work.

"I’m not in a vulnerable group but I sure hope that if I find myself in a car accident in mid November that there will be a spare ICU bed somewhere to treat me. There will be no beds and no none elective treatment if cases continue on the current trajectory. I was for all the “shield and the rest carry on idea” early in this pandemic but it just won’t work."

i kinf of agree with both sides of the argument, i am vunerable to the virus, and i take alot of care to try and protect myself, however, as a nation we are kidding ourselves if we think this virus is going anywhere, just because we lockdown for a few weeks.

the jab wont be ready in time, or not work properly, and is everyone going to get it?

the only solution i can see, is that we learn to live with it. and lets not forget, in reality it kills very few people, its far more important that we a a nation, try to carry on as normal, look at how much damage has been caused by lockdowns, nevermind the huge amount of people who cant get treatment for non covid illness.

It's not that black and white.

I am vulnerable - I'm fairly young but I have multiple health issues, so catching the virus would not be good. Ultimately, from the beginning, I have taken as much responsibility as I can - social distancing, wearing a mask, washing my hands etc.

However, like a lot of vulnerable people in this country, I require carers. I am fortunate in that I am cared for by members of my family, rather than strangers, but it still comes down to the same thing - having to rely on other people being sensible, taking the precautions, not bringing it into the house.

The elderly people my mother works with don't have a choice. They are scared to let people in their homes, but they can't get out of bed and washed and dressed alone - so what choice do they have?

If we say 'it's the responsibility of the vulnerable to protect themselves'... then carers - whether official or unofficial - also need to take the responsibility.

and those who are vulnerable but unable to look after themselves ???

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

I am scared for vulnerable teachers - they’re being thrown to the wolves as schools won’t shut.

By *ohnywrongunMan  over a year ago

Epping

Sounds like you have covid fatigue

Who is going to look after those for whom the vulnerable are responsible? Who is going to do their jobs?

"I am scared for vulnerable teachers - they’re being thrown to the wolves as schools won’t shut. "

How are teacher vulnerable ?

I think everyone is thier own safety officer,

Stop paying people for stopping at home at a drop of a hat

If a business is to close then full support,

But where certain profession get paid if they go home and endless paid holiday

Let’s hope covid corrects this

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I’m working straight through again. I don’t expect anything from anyone these days. My Father is having to shield so I will look after him from a distance and get through this.

I don’t agree with a longer lockdown but any approach has been so badly bungled what can they now do.

I’m off for a massage in a minute I expect some businesses like that to now go to the wire.

Sounds like you have covid fatigue "

The problem is that if we continue banging our heads against the wall in the current way eventually we will all become vulnerable people. I'm not sure if I can see the point of it unless it is to make us all equal at the bottom of the world heap. Possibly a sort of process of venezualarisation is under way and covid is just finishing us off.

Also it's not exactly a minority. I took a look at statistics and well...

There are nearly 12 million people aged 65 and above in the UK.

About About 15 million people in England have a long-term condition.

Obviously you allow for overlap... but that is still a significant number of people who are potentially classed as vulnerable.

So to make things safe (safer), roughly every 1 in 5 people would have to shield - and then their carers as well because what's the point otherwise? Who does the jobs that vulnerable people are doing? Who pays for all these people to shield for months?

I just don't see how it works.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Define vulnerable

The virus can and does infect anyone

The range of people ending up in hospital is extremely wide

Younger people aren't dying as much yet but many do need hospitalisations, without treatment then they could die.

Hospitals are filling up and there not all vulnerable.

What happens then ?

South

"I am scared for vulnerable teachers - they’re being thrown to the wolves as schools won’t shut.

How are teacher vulnerable ?

I think everyone is thier own safety officer,

Stop paying people for stopping at home at a drop of a hat

If a business is to close then full support,

But where certain profession get paid if they go home and endless paid holiday

Let’s hope covid corrects this"

Teachers are just as likely to be vulnerable as anyone else .... a person who works in an office and has health conditions can work from home or socially distance from people. Teachers are required to be i. Contact with 30 plus children (or hundreds of a secondary teacher) with no mask nor social distancing - schools won’t close. I’d say that makes teachers pretty vulnerable don’t you?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

All humans are vulnerable some more like to suffer than others

United we stand divided we fall.

If we do not help each other we might as well all die

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

It's a tough one, on one hand the death rates are very low and most people make a full recovery and a lot with zero symptoms, on the other hand a small perectange have a real bad time and it's fatal to some.

The world has basicly shit down and we've wiped off years of economic recovery,the long this goes on too we have the effect on people health as other illnesses have not disappeared either.

I totally get the point of the op and the elderly (majority of which have pensions and no rent mortgage to pay) and valnerable in particular isolating shielding whatever you call it to allow the rest to of the population to carry on at least to some degree of normality, if not to be selfish but to keep some kind of future for the masses and economy.

If it is going to continue as they believe it will I don't think lockdowns are the way to go, your tying the mass populations up in chains and they simply won't have it, we're already seeing unrest all over the world.

That said, you can't put a price on people's lives. It really is catch 22 and one any government can't get right. There is no correct way to deal with it that everyone is happy.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Anybody else vulnerable who agrees with me ?All humans are vulnerable some more like to suffer than others

United we stand divided we fall.

If we do not help each other we might as well all die

"

I agree.

I think there are a lot of people who will help the vulnerable, it needs to be coordinated somehow or some will fall through the net. That's where the authorities and charities come in.

At its most extreme asking the vulnerable to look after themselves means leaving people to die alone or leaving children without parents. Surely nobody advocates that.

Need to stand back and really look where this country is going

Can not blame boris or any of the other idiots

Which path you would have gone with SAME RESULT,

Can not look at Germany as they are taking a big hit please don’t mention Sweden total demographics

REALITY- we live with this same as influenza which is a bigger killer overall but I don’t hear teachers or vulnerable shouting this name

It’s a virus you will more or less infect yourself with this as some idiot will have coughed sneezing over something you will touch,

Remover teachers and councils guaranteed off work income then let’s see how many shout lock down

Same as council leaders mayors or any other political job,

It’s not lockdown is hide n seek

East Asia done the same live with it same as we do with the flu

[Removed by poster at 31/10/20 11:58:44]

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

I've seen this 'selfless bravery' many times over the years.

It all falls apart when reality encroaches on the rhetoric.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"

Absolutely

"Need to stand back and really look where this country is going

Can not blame boris or any of the other idiots

Which path you would have gone with SAME RESULT,

Can not look at Germany as they are taking a big hit please don’t mention Sweden total demographics

REALITY- we live with this same as influenza which is a bigger killer overall but I don’t hear teachers or vulnerable shouting this name

It’s a virus you will more or less infect yourself with this as some idiot will have coughed sneezing over something you will touch,

Remover teachers and councils guaranteed off work income then let’s see how many shout lock down

Same as council leaders mayors or any other political job,

It’s not lockdown is hide n seek

East Asia done the same live with it same as we do with the flu "

What have east Asia done??

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"I've seen this 'selfless bravery' many times over the years.

It all falls apart when reality encroaches on the rhetoric."

What a complete crock.

"

Absolutely"

So that is 2 of you , are you sure you speak for the other 2.2 million who had to shield ?

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"I've seen this 'selfless bravery' many times over the years.

It all falls apart when reality encroaches on the rhetoric.

What a complete crock.

"

Keyboard heroism is worthless.

Whole country is fucked,not even hit winter yet

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

With huge diversity amongst the tens of millions of people in this category, a tiny sample size means zilch.

As the oh so very many threads on this subject have shown, it's an unworkable harebrained idea.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Who's first to propose apartheid-style locking in of the BAME citizens and then implement it?

Another repeat of this crock of an idea

"

Absolutely

So that is 2 of you , are you sure you speak for the other 2.2 million who had to shield ? "

Can we also just qualify 2.2 million where told to shield yet 15 million is the figure for people with “underlying conditions” making them prime candidates for a fatal condition.

This whole concept of them shielding whilst everyone else cracks on is just crap, they share offices, homes with others... it’s just not workable.

"

Absolutely

So that is 2 of you , are you sure you speak for the other 2.2 million who had to shield ?

Can we also just qualify 2.2 million where told to shield yet 15 million is the figure for people with “underlying conditions” making them prime candidates for a fatal condition.

This whole concept of them shielding whilst everyone else cracks on is just crap, they share offices, homes with others... it’s just not workable."

I agree, it is nonsensical,

"

Absolutely

This whole concept of them shielding whilst everyone else cracks on is just crap, they share offices, homes with others... it’s just not workable."

Absolutely this

By *ungBitchTV/TS  over a year ago

Watford

We should just get the virus and deal with it

There's no cure or vaccine and theres sooo many who do test positive for the virus but yet still show no symptoms

If the country goes back into another national lockdown it will be the end of it, we barely survived the first one

"We should just get the virus and deal with it

There's no cure or vaccine and theres sooo many who do test positive for the virus but yet still show no symptoms

If the country goes back into another national lockdown it will be the end of it, we barely survived the first one "

Really? Can you explain how the NHS will cope?

"

Absolutely

By *ungBitchTV/TS  over a year ago

Watford

I know a lot of nurses and doctors who are on the front line and from what have told me their wards are near empty

The NHS can be helped but if the economy goes bust then that's a even bigger issue no jobs no business then what?

I live with multiple people who are classified as vulnerable,

Life has to Keep moving forward regardless

If the country goes back into another national lockdown it will be the end of it, we barely survived the first one "

You should just come have a look at the battle the critical patients go through... have a look at how over the matter of two weeks you can go from 2 admissions a week to 20 a day knowing full well given another few weeks deaths will do likewise.

You’d then understand how completely naive your statement is.

As for barely survived the first one... are you serious, bored and grumpy is not a state of Armageddon x

"I know a lot of nurses and doctors who are on the front line and from what have told me their wards are near empty

The NHS can be helped but if the economy goes bust then that's a even bigger issue no jobs no business then what?

Life has to Keep moving forward regardless"

Define the frontline?

Our icu is currently operating at 300% it’s normal capacity, we are on a 4-1 care ratio compared to our standard 1-1. You’ll have to excuse my dismissive stance but that sounds like a whole heap of crap from where I’m sitting

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Shit like this is why the aliens won't talk to us

"Shit like this is why the aliens won't talk to us"

Congratulations, you have just attained forum royalty status

"I know a lot of nurses and doctors who are on the front line and from what have told me their wards are near empty

Life has to Keep moving forward regardless"

Really, let’s pretend that is true, as a counter argument I ‘know’ a lot of nurses and doctors who say the opposite, so what does this mean?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Define the frontline?

Our icu is currently operating at 300% it’s normal capacity, we are on a 4-1 care ratio compared to our standard 1-1. You’ll have to excuse my dismissive stance but that sounds like a whole heap of crap from where I’m sitting"

charli... can you do me a favour....

can you repost your opening post the other day...

that way you can really inform the dim and selfish people of what is really happening

if they want to argue to let it roam free.... let us use that as a jarring reminder....

thank you......

Ha, apparently it is aliens that created COVID to kill of the human race

Really, let’s pretend that is true, as a counter argument I ‘know’ a lot of nurses and doctors who say the opposite, so what does this mean? "

In fairness this my wards empty business is a thing... there’s plenty of services that are almost unused currently.

The crux is, it’s a tiny section of a hospital that deals with Covid-19 and there’s no reserve in terms of personnel.

If you look at high dependency and the ambulance service, well we are fighting like hell and we already know it’s going to get worst.

Define the frontline?

Our icu is currently operating at 300% it’s normal capacity, we are on a 4-1 care ratio compared to our standard 1-1. You’ll have to excuse my dismissive stance but that sounds like a whole heap of crap from where I’m sitting

charli... can you do me a favour....

can you repost your opening post the other day...

that way you can really inform the dim and selfish people of what is really happening

if they want to argue to let it roam free.... let us use that as a jarring reminder....

thank you...... "

You know the sad point is, it’s kind of out of date now... the situation has got worst.

We now have more patients in compared to the peak of the first wave, we aren’t locked down, infection rates are still rising... Manchester is already into a worst reality than previously seen and it only took us 2 weeks to get here.

I definitely don’t look forward to it but I already know given a few more weeks we’ll beat our record of 12 deaths in a single shift.

The single malt might come out post work on that one :/

"Shit like this is why the aliens won't talk to us

Congratulations, you have just attained forum royalty status"

Someone voted you Queen of the Virus forum the other day. Xx

"Shit like this is why the aliens won't talk to us

Congratulations, you have just attained forum royalty status

Someone voted you Queen of the Virus forum the other day. Xx "

I thought I got branded a queen in 1991 first time I hit Soho wearing a frock????

South

"

As for barely survived the first one... are you serious, bored and grumpy is not a state of Armageddon x"

I know this isn’t a funny topic but seriously this made me spit my coffee! So so true and I’m stealing this for all the entitled idiots that think ‘bored and grumpy is barely surviving’

By *urekamanfor2Man  over a year ago

Canterbury

Get the virus and deal with it ??? Are you sure ! I think the vaccines will help

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Celle, Germany

Threat the virus like an std; I know what to do to avoid getting and spreading one and I know what to do if I think I've got one.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

People talk as if a vulnerable person will die if they catch the virus. This is not the case. Being vulnerable makes it a little more dangerous to catch, but the survival rate even for the over eighties makes far from a death sentence.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

At last! Yes I agree being asthmatic/diabetic/overweight and 63 I'm with u ! I would rather just go about life and have said to my kids if it comes to it I will forfeit a right to a ventilator x

» Add a new message to this topic