FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Manchester uni

Manchester uni

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ionelhutz OP   Man  over a year ago

liverpool

Tried to barricade the students in who came out and tore down the fences.

The uni came out and apologise d for not telling the students.

Spectacularly missing the point.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's been pretty horrible how they've been treated. But the uni gets the full fees

liverpool

"It's been pretty horrible how they've been treated. But the uni gets the full fees "

Dont blame them for kicking off.

Who ever made that decision should be asked why.

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

Cant abide by the lockdown send the lot home.

lLess trouble and also less cost spent on just to keep them in all in one place.

liverpool

"Cant abide by the lockdown send the lot home.

lLess trouble and also less cost spent on just to keep them in all in one place. "

Kind of missing the point

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Shocking behaviour by University of Manchester, erecting 7foot metal fences with no warning, blocking access to green space and forcing 1000 students to access a single entrance/exit.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

lLess trouble and also less cost spent on just to keep them in all in one place. "

Students are PAYING to live there and incurring substantial education loans to study whilst getting treated like dirt and like they are lesser citizens. They're entitled to go outside, to come and go from their residence (within the current limits) and you might be surprised to know that a student household can be between 6-12 students, depending on the size of the flat, so legitimately allowed to be together outdoors as a household.

I'm bloody glad my son is in private rented accommodation and has a good landlord. Us! He has the same freedom as any other adult in the UK (yes, currently somewhat limited) whilst his colleagues are being treated like dirt.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oh for the days before tuition fees when protest didn't bring a £30k debt prospect with ejection

By *etsomeMan  over a year ago

birmingham

it all comes down to how much of this people are prepared to tolerate

By *elshcouple18Couple  over a year ago

Cardiff

My wife deals with student accommodation, so she'd have a different view on their actions, as she's had some rather abusive self righteous students and parents recently.

By *ee And MikeCouple  over a year ago

Cannock

Our youngest went there recently so know the campus well.

The government conned the kids into going to University so the Universities could get the £5K a year in accommodation fees.

They could have paid their fees and stayed at home and done online lectures.

This pandemic is about the Government having control of the people and their lives, I’m not a conspiracy theorist or anything like that but if this virus is the Black Death as the NHS and government seemed to be making out with the ‘graphs of doom’ then you don’t transport thousands of students to all four corners of our country to study !

"My wife deals with student accommodation, so she'd have a different view on their actions, as she's had some rather abusive self righteous students and parents recently. "

Can I digress slightly and say your wife has a lovely ass.... Sorry

"Our youngest went there recently so know the campus well.

The government conned the kids into going to University so the Universities could get the £5K a year in accommodation fees.

This pandemic is about the Government having control of the people and their lives, I’m not a conspiracy theorist or anything like that but if this virus is the Black Death as the NHS and government seemed to be making out with the ‘graphs of doom’ then you don’t transport thousands of students to all four corners of our country to study !

"

Cardiff

"My wife deals with student accommodation, so she'd have a different view on their actions, as she's had some rather abusive self righteous students and parents recently.

Can I digress slightly and say your wife has a lovely ass.... Sorry "

digress all you like. I'm off up to bed now, to spoon it. Lol

"My wife deals with student accommodation, so she'd have a different view on their actions, as she's had some rather abusive self righteous students and parents recently.

Can I digress slightly and say your wife has a lovely ass.... Sorry digress all you like. I'm off up to bed now, to spoon it. Lol"

Spoon it? Surely you mean f.....

Cardiff

That's special occasions only.. or days of the week which contain a t in its spelling.

"That's special occasions only.. or days of the week which contain a t in its spelling. "

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Apart from the fact that they never told anyone what the plan was this is just another case of someone playing with money that is not theirs.

Whoever signed off in this should be given the bill personally

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

£11,000

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"Tried to barricade the students in who came out and tore down the fences.

The uni came out and apologise d for not telling the students.

Spectacularly missing the point.

"

Yep, they shouldn’t have been there.

The universities are in panic mode as this is exposing them on many levels.

Are they really needed in this hi-tech world and in reality what do most people gain from going other than a huge debt hanging over them for years to come.

Think they should focus on subjects where there is a purpose, medical, legal, accountancy etc.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"£11,000"

I wonder who’s mate, cousin, family member owns the company who were brought in to install the barriers

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"

I love it when people say things like "I'm not a conspiracy theorist" after spouting their own conspiracy and follow it up with another one.

E

Cannock

I love it when people say things like "I'm not a conspiracy theorist" after spouting their own conspiracy and follow it up with another one.

E

"

Ok then, so why in the middle of a pandemic when the kids could have studied online where they actively encouraged to travel all around the country to go to university when the rest of the country are being to work from home !

E

Ok then, so why in the middle of a pandemic when the kids could have studied online where they actively encouraged to travel all around the country to go to university when the rest of the country are being to work from home !"

There are millions not working from home lol.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"

UK Universities have turned into businesses over the last ten years or so, I feel very badly for youngsters who don’t have the experience to know whether they are getting value for money until it’s too late. This applied pre Covid, but Covid has put it into focus.

Cannock

E

Ok then, so why in the middle of a pandemic when the kids could have studied online where they actively encouraged to travel all around the country to go to university when the rest of the country are being to work from home !

There are millions not working from home lol."

Mate, are you just trying to be clever for the sake of it ?

Of course, there are loads of us not working from home but the government directive has been work from home if you can, so on that basis why do you send thousands of students across the country to towns snd cities that aren’t their ‘home’ !

The South

E

Ok then, so why in the middle of a pandemic when the kids could have studied online where they actively encouraged to travel all around the country to go to university when the rest of the country are being to work from home !"

The rest of the country are working from home?

Really?

E

Cannock

UK Universities have turned into businesses over the last ten years or so, I feel very badly for youngsters who don’t have the experience to know whether they are getting value for money until it’s too late. This applied pre Covid, but Covid has put it into focus. "

People forget most of our kids have paid £9K a year fees and £5K accommodation, that’s £14K a year and everyone wonders why parents are students alike are pissed off that the government and universities are treating them like prisoners !

Cannock

E

Really?

E"

Fook me thawed are some clever cunts on here !

As I said above the government directive is to work from home if you can, although many like myself can’t !

The South

E

Of course, there are loads of us not working from home but the government directive has been work from home if you can, so on that basis why do you send thousands of students across the country to towns snd cities that aren’t their ‘home’ !"

So, what is it? "The rest of the country are working from home" or "loads of people are working from home?"

Can't be both.

E

liverpool

"My wife deals with student accommodation, so she'd have a different view on their actions, as she's had some rather abusive self righteous students and parents recently. "

If someone tried to cage me in,I wouldnt be too happy.

I wonder when they have to sow a star on there jacket to identify them selves as students

The South

E

Really?

E

As I said above the government directive is to work from home if you can, although many like myself can’t !"

And as YOU said above "the rest of the country"

I'm not clever, but I do know all of the country aren't working from home.

Just going to Tesco tells me that, let alone the NHS and thousands of other business's.

When you make a broad sweeping statement to support your incorrect view, expect people to put forward an alternative perspective.

E

Cannock

E

Ok then, so why in the middle of a pandemic when the kids could have studied online where they actively encouraged to travel all around the country to go to university when the rest of the country are being told work from home !

Of course, there are loads of us not working from home but the government directive has been work from home if you can, so on that basis why do you send thousands of students across the country to towns snd cities that aren’t their ‘home’ !

So, what is it? "The rest of the country are working from home" or "loads of people are working from home?"

Can't be both.

E"

If you look above I say ‘being told to work from home’ that’s what the government is saying !

The fact many can’t is one of the reasons we are actually in a ‘real lockdown’ !

The point I’ve been trying to make, is that if the government are trying to encourage ‘work from home’ then encourages thousands of students to trek around the country to ‘foreign towns and cities’ what is the sense in that !

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

The fences were put up due to people off campus walking freely onto the campus when it is supposed to be locked down.

1984 springs to mind

liverpool

E

Can't be both.

E"

I think they are saying people are being encouraged to work from home.

The gmnt could have easily have done this,instead they let 10000s of students go back, resulting not only in the inevitable spike but students being treated appallingly.

Another masterstroke.

liverpool

"The fences were put up due to people off campus walking freely onto the campus when it is supposed to be locked down."

They dont live in a prison.

Cannock

E

Ok then, so why in the middle of a pandemic when the kids could have studied online where they actively encouraged to travel all around the country to go to university when the rest of the country are being told work from home !

Really?

E

As I said above the government directive is to work from home if you can, although many like myself can’t !

And as YOU said above "the rest of the country"

I'm not clever, but I do know all of the country aren't working from home.

Just going to Tesco tells me that, let alone the NHS and thousands of other business's.

When you make a broad sweeping statement to support your incorrect view, expect people to put forward an alternative perspective.

E"

The phrase I used was ‘told to work from home’ !

yumsville

"The fences were put up due to people off campus walking freely onto the campus when it is supposed to be locked down.

They dont live in a prison."

They are living with a virus as is the direct community, county and country.

liverpool

"The fences were put up due to people off campus walking freely onto the campus when it is supposed to be locked down.

They are living with a virus as is the direct community, county and country. "

We all are.

Are they fencing us all in?

Cannock

E

Can't be both.

E

The gmnt could have easily have done this,instead they let 10000s of students go back, resulting not only in the inevitable spike but students being treated appallingly.

Another masterstroke."

Thanks for the support, I’m sure people like to argue for the sake of it !

Being told to work from home if you can is what the government want and the students could have studied from home but the Universities make so much money from their accommodation blocks they weren’t going to let that happen !

The South

E

Can't be both.

E

Another masterstroke.

Being told to work from home if you can is what the government want and the students could have studied from home but the Universities make so much money from their accommodation blocks they weren’t going to let that happen !"

In fairness, I don't understand it either.

The only thing I can think of is, the thought process was industry have put process in place for people to work and observe social distancing, universities/colleges could do the same.

Conversley, we were all told not to travel. Students going home would have breached that guidance.

What about foreign students who would need to travel abroad to return home, set against international travel restrictions and quarantine requirements when they arrive.

It's a bit of a minefield......

E

E

Can't be both.

E

Another masterstroke.

Being told to work from home if you can is what the government want and the students could have studied from home but the Universities make so much money from their accommodation blocks they weren’t going to let that happen !

The only thing I can think of is, the thought process was industry have put process in place for people to work and observe social distancing, universities/colleges could do the same.

Conversley, we were all told not to travel. Students going home would have breached that guidance.

What about foreign students who would need to travel abroad to return home, set against international travel restrictions and quarantine requirements when they arrive.

E"

There's a minefield!!, bit extreme, I thought the Fence was bad enough

yumsville

We all are.

Are they fencing us all in?"

So, there's two routes. Allow it to continue and exhaust police services though increasing patrols and fining people or trust they are to make the right decisions.

It seems they do not want to make the right decisions as they have been walking on and off campus despite security being in place.

You want more power away from Whitehall and in local authority /community hands though don't like it when they take action (albeit unannounced). Boris cant handle the virus and now people local to it cant.

You'd let everybody roam free and see where the chips fall?

The South

E

Can't be both.

E

Another masterstroke.

E

There's a minefield!!, bit extreme, I thought the Fence was bad enough "

Claymores.

E

E

Can't be both.

E

Another masterstroke.

E

There's a minefield!!, bit extreme, I thought the Fence was bad enough

Claymores.

E"

Ahhh the SAS are involved, thought so

liverpool

We all are.

So, there's two routes. Allow it to continue and exhaust police services though increasing patrols and fining people or trust they are to make the right decisions.

It seems they do not want to make the right decisions as they have been walking on and off campus despite security being in place.

You want more power away from Whitehall and in local authority /community hands though don't like it when they take action (albeit unannounced). Boris cant handle the virus and now people local to it cant.

You'd let everybody roam free and see where the chips fall? "

If you want to argue that caging kids in is an acceptable policy,whoever made it,is an acceptable path to take by my guest.

But dont be surprised when they protest against it.

bradford

"

I beg to differ here the virus has been here since march.

Its plastered all over the papers that education is being affected, also the virus is being spread not only in education more so in a mixed enviroment.

Its certainly not the gov but the uni thats at fault here they get payment for the coarse dont you think it should be provided online during this virus.

As goes for accom fees is the student and parents that gullable thinking the virus wont affect them at uni.

yumsville

We all are.

If you want to argue that caging kids in is an acceptable policy,whoever made it,is an acceptable path to take by my guest.

But dont be surprised when they protest against it."

They are educated adults.

Their actions have resulted in the action taken - virus - lockdown - lockdown - virus.

No virus = no lockdown.

There is no argument; I am asking what would you do. You are against Whitehall measures, you're now against local measures.

No point complaining if you don't have a better idea.

bradford

"So, there's two routes. Allow it to continue and exhaust police services though increasing patrols and fining people or trust they are to make the right decisions.

But dont be surprised when they protest against it."

like I said before send them home before the lock down give them a refund for the time there sent home ( uni accom fees ) as for the coarse should be done online where available.

That is up to uni to sort out alternative ways to let there students have an education.

or better still cause the trouble fine the student or delete there fine from there fees paid.

they want to be adults then except what comes with being an adult.

By *ickDastardlyMan  over a year ago

North East

I work for a well established university and it really is a catch 22 situation.

The University told the students that this year was going to be different and difficult. We have guidelines, policies and procedures in place for them coming which of course were/are subject to change along with the government guidelines.

Our students did not walk into this situation blindly.

Its an interesting situation because I would say in my specific sub section, we have roughly about 70% of students completely flouting these rules, in favour of mass parties.

On campus, there are people working on the front line, usually in low paid jobs, housekeepers, maintainance assistants and others who have to go into these areas to do their jobs and the students (some, not all) really could not care less about there health and safety.

yumsville

Sad to read that

liverpool

We all are.

But dont be surprised when they protest against it.

They are educated adults.

Their actions have resulted in the action taken - virus - lockdown - lockdown - virus.

No virus = no lockdown.

There is no argument; I am asking what would you do. You are against Whitehall measures, you're now against local measures.

No point complaining if you don't have a better idea.

"

I'm against putting a big metal fence around people without telling them

The students shouldn't have went back.

Cannock

"I work for a well established university and it really is a catch 22 situation.

The University told the students that this year was going to be different and difficult. We have guidelines, policies and procedures in place for them coming which of course were/are subject to change along with the government guidelines.

Its an interesting situation because I would say in my specific sub section, we have roughly about 70% of students completely flouting these rules, in favour of mass parties.

On campus, there are people working on the front line, usually in low paid jobs, housekeepers, maintainance assistants and others who have to go into these areas to do their jobs and the students (some, not all) really could not care less about there health and safety. "

Well in that case the University hasn’t done a detailed ‘risk assessment’ before letting students back on campus !

You put groups of teenagers into accommodation blocks, usually they are in flats with five or six bedrooms and the blocks have twenty or so flats per block, so you are expecting 120 students to just sit around if they are doing three or four hours a week of online study - pissing in the wind !

In the meantime the students are being slagged off for being irresponsible when they are paying £9K a year fees and £5K a year for accommodation, it’s the universities that are being irresponsible and greedy encouraging students to come into campus in the first place !

"I work for a well established university and it really is a catch 22 situation.

On campus, there are people working on the front line, usually in low paid jobs, housekeepers, maintainance assistants and others who have to go into these areas to do their jobs and the students (some, not all) really could not care less about there health and safety. "

This is my experience too.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

This pandemic is about the Government having control of the people and their lives, I’m not a conspiracy theorist or anything like that but if this virus is the Black Death as the NHS and government seemed to be making out with the ‘graphs of doom’ then you don’t transport thousands of students to all four corners of our country to study."

I love this concept that the government have manufactured this virus to "control" peoples lives... by making them stop spending money (starving the nation of taxes), cover half their faces so the facial recognition systems don't work, and ramp up unemployment... it's such an obvious conclusion to jump to.

Cal

E

I am not working from home, I still travel the south east visiting clients.

By *ealArtfulDodgerMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

"I wonder when they have to sow a star on there jacket to identify them selves as students "

maybe they should as they are the ones spreading the pandemic...

DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A JEWISH NOR ANTI-SEMITE THING AS IT IS SO NOT..!

Cannock

Of course the ‘conspiracy theorists’ were slated when we went to war with Iraq on a dossier that said they had ‘weapons on mass destruction’, I think we are still looking for those aren’t we ?

The point I’m making is that this government does what it wants, you only have to see the anger of some MP’s this week to another lockdown, almost thrust upon us because of statistics that have proven to be out of date twice in the last week.

If that isn’t a controlling government, I don’t know what is !

"I love it when people say things like "I'm not a conspiracy theorist" after spouting their own conspiracy and follow it up with another one.

Of course the ‘conspiracy theorists’ were slated when we went to war with Iraq on a dossier that said they had ‘weapons on mass destruction’, I think we are still looking for those aren’t we ?

The point I’m making is that this government does what it wants, you only have to see the anger of some MP’s this week to another lockdown, almost thrust upon us because of statistics that have proven to be out of date twice in the last week.

If that isn’t a controlling government, I don’t know what is !"

That suggests planning and forethought. In my mind its a clear case of Hanlons Razor

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

And I don't think any political party or any leader would have served us any better

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"I wonder when they have to sow a star on there jacket to identify them selves as students "

It will be decreed with 2 days notice

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

lLess trouble and also less cost spent on just to keep them in all in one place.

Students are PAYING to live there and incurring substantial education loans to study whilst getting treated like dirt and like they are lesser citizens. They're entitled to go outside, to come and go from their residence (within the current limits) and you might be surprised to know that a student household can be between 6-12 students, depending on the size of the flat, so legitimately allowed to be together outdoors as a household.

I'm bloody glad my son is in private rented accommodation and has a good landlord. Us! He has the same freedom as any other adult in the UK (yes, currently somewhat limited) whilst his colleagues are being treated like dirt."

» Add a new message to this topic