FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Is working from home the new future

Is working from home the new future

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is working from home the new future with Internet saving companies thousands on rent and electricity.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

But people having to pay more electricity and gas working from home

By *ountry Boy FreshMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

"But people having to pay more electricity and gas working from home"

That's true but in reality those costs are far less than most peoples commuting costs. Some people may even mover to a 1 car family from 2 as they don't need 2.

Am working from home, am going to miss flirting with the girls from the offices now

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Is working from home the new future with Internet saving companies thousands on rent and electricity. "

Sadly yes. But not sure we understand the impact on people's lives and mental health being probably the biggest of those.

Its a version of the future but will develop and become a mixture of wfh with time spent in a shared environment; office or cafe or similar. Like the change in retail to the internet, it was always going to happen but COVID has pushed us on a few years

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Its a version of the future but will develop and become a mixture of wfh with time spent in a shared environment; office or cafe or similar. Like the change in retail to the internet, it was always going to happen but COVID has pushed us on a few years "

I've worked from home since just before the first lockdown started.

I like it, but sometimes I do feel a little bit isolated.

I've done the 'get some tax back' thing and the extra utility costs are easily offset with the lack of commute each day.

"Its a version of the future but will develop and become a mixture of wfh with time spent in a shared environment; office or cafe or similar. Like the change in retail to the internet, it was always going to happen but COVID has pushed us on a few years

I've worked from home since just before the first lockdown started.

I like it, but sometimes I do feel a little bit isolated.

I've done the 'get some tax back' thing and the extra utility costs are easily offset with the lack of commute each day."

Me too ... and its given the opportunity to move out of town to the countryside.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Jolly well hope not. I hate and abhor it. I enjoyed my job before Covid but I'm starting to despise it.

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple  over a year ago

Sunderland

Like others have said I think a mixture Will become the norm

Leicestershire

"

Me too ... and its given the opportunity to move out of town to the countryside. "

I've nearly always been a country dweller.

I get lost in places with more than three roads...

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I live out in the sticks I hate working from home especially this time of year.

It’s already been said that our way of working will become more flexible. I will probably do more home working over the spring and summer.

I’ve already applied for the tax adjustment and I would urge others to do the same.

By *ountry Boy FreshMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

On the positive it may make the overcrowding in London less as some will move further away if they can work from home.

"

Me too ... and its given the opportunity to move out of town to the countryside.

I've nearly always been a country dweller.

I get lost in places with more than three roads... "

I now get a bit anxious driving into big Cities and I've only been here 4 months! Came here from Manchester

Leicestershire

"

I now get a bit anxious driving into big Cities and I've only been here 4 months! Came here from Manchester "

I think the average city road has more traffic signs than we have in the three adjacent villages...

By *ighugs69Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

I'd been partially WFH for a few years and the company was seriously looking at expanding the scheme before this hit.

The savings in time & fuel more than cover extra household costs. But my commute was over 2 hours a day in the car.

Video calling is alright but would like the option of a day or 2 each week in the office. If only as a reason to leave the house.

Not if you do manual work. How can it be

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

No

I think it might be a novelty for a while but things will start to get back towards and office/team hub again. I hope so.

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

The new future? You ain't seen anything yet

More than £2 trillion in debt, negative interest rates, hyperinflation, years of austerity, massive unemployment, collapse of asset prices.

Do you really think that you can stop the whole world economy for nearly a year with no consequences?

Prior to this we had 10 years of austerity to save £37 billion and we've just pissed £300 billion up the wall on this so that's around a generation of austerity to come.

People need to wake up to the reality.

Leicestershire

"

Video calling is alright but would like the option of a day or 2 each week in the office. If only as a reason to leave the house.

"

Yes, that'd suit me better as well.

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"Is working from home the new future with Internet saving companies thousands on rent and electricity. "

Yes it’s the future, imagine all the naughty daytime fun that can be had

Tuesday afternoon is the new Saturday night

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

"The new future? You ain't seen anything yet

More than £2 trillion in debt, negative interest rates, hyperinflation, years of austerity, massive unemployment, collapse of asset prices.

Do you really think that you can stop the whole world economy for nearly a year with no consequences?

Prior to this we had 10 years of austerity to save £37 billion and we've just pissed £300 billion up the wall on this so that's around a generation of austerity to come.

People need to wake up to the reality."

Over 2 Trillion in debt people won’t Know whats hit them when the money runs out .mass unemployment , house repossessions probably NHS won’t exist in its present shape God knows what else

By *iguy for funMan  over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

if it is then shoot me know.

for those claim the tax credit/relief - do you need it?

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Some of us can't work from home, so I would say no.

"But people having to pay more electricity and gas working from home

That's true but in reality those costs are far less than most peoples commuting costs. Some people may even mover to a 1 car family from 2 as they don't need 2. "

“most” people sure, but i am out of pocket when i lived close enough to walk to work , would normally have been out the house about 60 hours a week that i will be heating the place extra over the winter

By *havenbabe01Couple  over a year ago

bedfordshire

hope not

my sofa hasnt got a steering wheel clutch or gear box

"if it is then shoot me know.

for those claim the tax credit/relief - do you need it?"

Does it matter whether they need it? They’re entitled to it.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I hope not

CIRENCESTER

Does it matter whether they need it? They’re entitled to it."

adds to the future debt/austerity levels/figures, so yes

adds to the future debt/austerity levels/figures, so yes"

If it was only about what we need then we’d all be earning the same amount and driving the same cars and living in the same houses.

If people work from home they are entitled to claim some tax back (it’s really not very much, I’ve checked) the amount claimed will pale into insignificance with the amount the government have feathered their friends nests with.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

Looks like it!

Less sneaking around hopefully

CIRENCESTER

adds to the future debt/austerity levels/figures, so yes

If it was only about what we need then we’d all be earning the same amount and driving the same cars and living in the same houses.

If people work from home they are entitled to claim some tax back (it’s really not very much, I’ve checked) the amount claimed will pale into insignificance with the amount the government have feathered their friends nests with."

to be fair yes i think its only 6 quid or so

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I really hope not. I hate it. My job has changed, I was person facing, now all contact is done by phone, it's horrendous.

I can't support people who have chaotic lifestyles adequatley over the phone.

Yes. But what you're not appreciating is working from home was much better in all kinds of respects, prior to Covid... why? because you could work actually in the gym or at a coffee shop... you were much more free to continue to meet people and have flexible hours that work better for you and family life. Some people might think going back to the office is better than this version of working from home... but I'm not having anyone has a valid argument against working from home without restrictions.

Wish I could work from home lol

adds to the future debt/austerity levels/figures, so yes"

Ha yes they're are entitled... quite.

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

I hope so personally. It was quite strange at first but once settled down with all the IT sorted out, it's been ok. Obviously saving the daily commute, home made lunches, coffees, snacks has all helped to offset any tiny increase in the electricity for the computer. Not really needed to change the heating much yet but probably won't be too different cost wise.

Does it matter whether they need it? They’re entitled to it."

Exactly

By *olden RatioWoman  over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

I don't think we will see empty offices just yet, especially since so many companies will be tied into leases on properties. However, we will see a more hybrid model of working becoming popular.

"I don't think we will see empty offices just yet, especially since so many companies will be tied into leases on properties. However, we will see a more hybrid model of working becoming popular. "

I don't think we’ll see empty offices yet but those leases only last so long.

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

Well, given that my job - a line of work to which I hope to return - was in training, most effectively done in classrooms, I hope that companies retain a hub at least. But WFH has proven to be a lot more feasible than management would have had us believe.

I suspect that companies who don’t offer it at least to some extent may find it more difficult to recruit. Or at least it should become part of the benefits package.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

It might not happen as the government want to add an extra tax, to those who remain working from home after the lockdown.

By *olden RatioWoman  over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

"I don't think we will see empty offices just yet, especially since so many companies will be tied into leases on properties. However, we will see a more hybrid model of working becoming popular.

I don't think we’ll see empty offices yet but those leases only last so long."

Absolutely! I would imagine in about 4 years time we will be seeing companies taking much smaller floorplates and the office being treated as much more of a social hub.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"It might not happen as the government want to add an extra tax, to those who remain working from home after the lockdown. "
I'd heard that. Well they will want as much money back from everyone to pay for all this

You don't get anything for nothing. They will be some right old moaning on here when it's payback time

"I don't think we will see empty offices just yet, especially since so many companies will be tied into leases on properties. However, we will see a more hybrid model of working becoming popular.

I don't think we’ll see empty offices yet but those leases only last so long."

Definitely seeing empty offices. I'm involved in the process ... London, Manchester, Bristol and others.

"Well, given that my job - a line of work to which I hope to return - was in training, most effectively done in classrooms, I hope that companies retain a hub at least. But WFH has proven to be a lot more feasible than management would have had us believe.

I suspect that companies who don’t offer it at least to some extent may find it more difficult to recruit. Or at least it should become part of the benefits package."

in my industry i see home being the norm and allowing a few days in the office actually being something that will draw candidates in

"It might not happen as the government want to add an extra tax, to those who remain working from home after the lockdown. I'd heard that. Well they will want as much money back from everyone to pay for all this

You don't get anything for nothing. They will be some right old moaning on here when it's payback time "

what would there be to tax? its not a financial benefit a company is giving you ... if anything i can only see them maybe giving some sort of tax relief to companies that bring people back t offices to help restart city centre economies

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"Well, given that my job - a line of work to which I hope to return - was in training, most effectively done in classrooms, I hope that companies retain a hub at least. But WFH has proven to be a lot more feasible than management would have had us believe.

I suspect that companies who don’t offer it at least to some extent may find it more difficult to recruit. Or at least it should become part of the benefits package.

in my industry i see home being the norm and allowing a few days in the office actually being something that will draw candidates in "

I see you’re in lingerie; do you think it will be the same for other industries?

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

I can see a middle ground of local shared office spaces. Many people will still want to get out of their homes, go somewhere with other people, a coffee shop, a clean, efficient environment etc...

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

"It might not happen as the government want to add an extra tax, to those who remain working from home after the lockdown. I'd heard that. Well they will want as much money back from everyone to pay for all this

You don't get anything for nothing. They will be some right old moaning on here when it's payback time

what would there be to tax? its not a financial benefit a company is giving you ... if anything i can only see them maybe giving some sort of tax relief to companies that bring people back t offices to help restart city centre economies "

I thought I saw it was being considered in Germany (from what I remember) and could equate to around £6 or £7 per day working from home, with the income going to Prop up the small businesses suffering as we're not spending in them. I'll be heading back to an office if they start going down that route (& still eat my own sandwiches etc )

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

Having WFH as a component or option of your job would be great! No commute (good for the environment) longer in bed, no lunch at your desk, not having to pretend to be polite to Karl from marketing in the coffee room...

If you're still free to meet up with colleagues as and when you feel like it, post covid, then I think it could be great for office jobs. The enforced WFH in isolation is really messing with a lot of people's mental health right now.

Having the option to work either at home, in a cafe / bar with a friend or colleague or in the office would be so good! It would be a benefit to disabled people and those with childcare needs (although trying to work with a screaming toddler is a trial of its own).

Birmingham

what would there be to tax? its not a financial benefit a company is giving you ... if anything i can only see them maybe giving some sort of tax relief to companies that bring people back t offices to help restart city centre economies "

I officially have a desk in a large office complex 90 miles from my house. I just haven't sat there for 4 years now... It'd be painfully, transparently petty to try and legislate against that being a thing.

"

Having the option to work either at home, in a cafe / bar with a friend or colleague or in the office would be so good! It would be a benefit to disabled people and those with childcare needs (although trying to work with a screaming toddler is a trial of its own). "

having the option to work from home is not and should never be a childcare solution ... if you are watching a toddler you aren’t properly working and if you are working you aren’t properly watching that toddler

many of us without kids have spend countless hours this year picking up the slack for our team members stuck at home with children not able to pick up their usual workload ... thats fine as part of pulling together in a pandemic but should not be advocated as a working solution to take forward

Ha ha. Working from home is great till your power goes down and you phone your energy supplier and get told - we are all working from home, your power won’t go back on till that changes. Happy now ?? . Or should people only work from home if it’s convenient for you ????

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

For some, it will be.

My other half's company are saving 70K a month in not having to pay staff travel expenses. To date, they've saved 560K since March.

As I said to the missus, "That's pure profit. On the bottom line".

One of Directors of the company was a real "Bums must be on seats in the office" kinda old guard, but he's seen the savings, and got the hang of Teams and conferencing remotely. His Team efficiency has increased 20% or thereabouts.

If I was his boss (Chairman), I'd be asking him to step in to the office to explain how come his team work even more effectively without him hovering over them in an office environment ?

As Chairman, *that's* where I'd be making additional savings on headcount (and promote one of her team to fill his place)

I suspect quite a lot of "middle management" are also questioning their "longevity" now WFH is seeing some motivated and efficient teams demonstrating they don't need a manager in the traditional office sense.

Leicestershire

"Ha ha. Working from home is great till your power goes down and you phone your energy supplier and get told - we are all working from home, your power won’t go back on till that changes. Happy now ?? . Or should people only work from home if it’s convenient for you ???? "

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

It's pretty obvious that some roles are logistically impossible if the person is WFH.

It's been that way all the way through this.

Birmingham

"Ha ha. Working from home is great till your power goes down and you phone your energy supplier and get told - we are all working from home, your power won’t go back on till that changes. Happy now ?? . Or should people only work from home if it’s convenient for you ????

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

It's pretty obvious that some roles are logistically impossible if the person is WFH.

It's been that way all the way through this."

Pretty clear he's saying people's power, Internet etc are less reliable than at work.

So yes whilst it can screw people over, half the office isn't ever going to be stuck in the 5m pile up on the M4 ever again, so swings and roundabouts...

» Add a new message to this topic