FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Two Falklands every day

Two Falklands every day

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Last night i was looking at the casualty figures for a few wars...

It seems that in the UK we are currently losing people at the rate of two entire Falklands wars every day. Or about three Iraq wars every day. Thankfully we are nowhere near the total number of UK fatalities from WW2, but the average number of British killed each day in WW2 was 205. Yesterday there were 608 covid related deaths registered.

Crossing the Atlantic, the United States now has 266105 covid deaths, 2194 of them yesterday. The 911 twin towers attack killed 2977 people, so they are running at about four and a half World Trade Centers a week. The Vietnam and Korean wars added together ran for about 23 years, with a combined death figure of approximately 98000 americans. If we throw in the Iraq war as well (why not, it was mainly an American idea) that makes 102000 US deaths over 30 years. Which comes to (being generous and rounding it up) 10 deaths a day. So in America the SARS-CoV-2 virus is killing people at 200 times the rate of their three biggest wars in the last 70 years combined.

No doubt someone will now remind me that covid only kills the elderly and infirm so no need to worry. But then i guess that all those killed in WW2 would be dead by now anyway, so really we ought to just forget that as well...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *andsCouple  over a year ago

south birmingham

"Last night i was looking at the casualty figures for a few wars...

It seems that in the UK we are currently losing people at the rate of two entire Falklands wars every day. Or about three Iraq wars every day. Thankfully we are nowhere near the total number of UK fatalities from WW2, but the average number of British killed each day in WW2 was 205. Yesterday there were 608 covid related deaths registered.

Crossing the Atlantic, the United States now has 266105 covid deaths, 2194 of them yesterday. The 911 twin towers attack killed 2977 people, so they are running at about four and a half World Trade Centers a week. The Vietnam and Korean wars added together ran for about 23 years, with a combined death figure of approximately 98000 americans. If we throw in the Iraq war as well (why not, it was mainly an American idea) that makes 102000 US deaths over 30 years. Which comes to (being generous and rounding it up) 10 deaths a day. So in America the SARS-CoV-2 virus is killing people at 200 times the rate of their three biggest wars in the last 70 years combined.

No doubt someone will now remind me that covid only kills the elderly and infirm so no need to worry. But then i guess that all those killed in WW2 would be dead by now anyway, so really we ought to just forget that as well..."

if you believe the bullshit figures, not all of us do.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No doubt someone will now remind me that covid only kills the elderly and infirm so no need to worry. But then i guess that all those killed in WW2 would be dead by now anyway, so really we ought to just forget that as well...

if you believe the bullshit figures, not all of us do. "

Didn’t take long, what figure do you believe?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Where do you get your accurate data from?

Stockport

I don't make any claim that my figures are totally accurate to three decimal places... My virus figures were from a quick look at worldmeter, and the numbers for the wars etc were from Wikipedia. In all cases i rounded up the war figures and rounded down the virus figures, to underestimate rather than exaggerate how deadly covid is. Even if we then slice the values by 50%, and say we're only getting the effect of one Falklands war every day... It's still by far the worst conflict that has hit the world in the last 100 years.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Yes it seems like once you test positive for Covid you have a 99% chance of getting hit by a bus. Bizarrely

"

Delusional idiots... that is all

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Yes it seems like once you test positive for Covid you have a 99% chance of getting hit by a bus. Bizarrely"

Is that why they make you isolate when you get a positive test?

And there was me thinking it was to stop you spreading the virus to others..

All I can say is I'm glad I don't live on a bus route, the fucker probably would have been straight in through the front of my house after me!!

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I don't think using war casualties is a great analogy or comparison simply because at this time of the year the fatalities spike due to seasonal illnesses like flu and pneumonia.

I take nothing away from the severity of Covid but I think that a discussion about fatalities needs to be compared to yearly, seasonal expectations and averages.

"I don't think using war casualties is a great analogy or comparison simply because at this time of the year the fatalities spike due to seasonal illnesses like flu and pneumonia.

I take nothing away from the severity of Covid but I think that a discussion about fatalities needs to be compared to yearly, seasonal expectations and averages."

Actually it’s probably the best analogy out there, having spent time on the frontline in both realities there is a complete symmetry.

Those who despite your best efforts pass away, their distraught families, colleagues adding to the statistics of the now thou_ands of frontline workers who have been severely affected by the virus and struggle to return to their posts with the residual affects of long Covid. Then the faces of those surrounding you, those who over the past 9 months have endured, seen too much death are physically and emotionally dead on their feet.

I spent a few months witnessing the horrors that the Serbian army and militias inflicted on Kosovo. For me, the only difference between that and this time is NATO had the option to limit the affects on frontline troops by circulating units, sadly the NHS doesn’t have reserves, they don’t have the ability to provide respite.

This past month has been horrific to work, you have no concept of the numbers who almost don’t make it, then the sheer volume and regularity of death this pandemic has brought. You shouldn’t make a judgement severity when it’s not a reality you live, you also shouldn’t underestimate the situation a few of us have to deal with on a day to day basis.

NW London

"I don't think using war casualties is a great analogy or comparison simply because at this time of the year the fatalities spike due to seasonal illnesses like flu and pneumonia.

I take nothing away from the severity of Covid but I think that a discussion about fatalities needs to be compared to yearly, seasonal expectations and averages.

Actually it’s probably the best analogy out there, having spent time on the frontline in both realities there is a complete symmetry.

Those who despite your best efforts pass away, their distraught families, colleagues adding to the statistics of the now thou_ands of frontline workers who have been severely affected by the virus and struggle to return to their posts with the residual affects of long Covid. Then the faces of those surrounding you, those who over the past 9 months have endured, seen too much death are physically and emotionally dead on their feet.

I spent a few months witnessing the horrors that the Serbian army and militias inflicted on Kosovo. For me, the only difference between that and this time is NATO had the option to limit the affects on frontline troops by circulating units, sadly the NHS doesn’t have reserves, they don’t have the ability to provide respite.

This past month has been horrific to work, you have no concept of the numbers who almost don’t make it, then the sheer volume and regularity of death this pandemic has brought. You shouldn’t make a judgement severity when it’s not a reality you live, you also shouldn’t underestimate the situation a few of us have to deal with on a day to day basis. "

Fair enough.

My point is that at present we are bombarded daily with running tallies of the fatality and infection numbers etc, yet in previous years few have batted an eyelid during the annual flu season. No-one has ever suggested locking down, closing businesses or abstaining from regular life. Nobody ever suggested cancelling Christmas or NYE.

Obviously this year is much different and obviously certain precautions and restrictions are sensible.

As such, the total number of Covid fatalities are constantly presented with needs to be taken in context with what is to be expected in other "normal" years.

"

Fair enough.

My point is that at present we are bombarded daily with running tallies of the fatality and infection numbers etc, yet in previous years few have batted an eyelid during the annual flu season. No-one has ever suggested locking down, closing businesses or abstaining from regular life. Nobody ever suggested cancelling Christmas or NYE.

Obviously this year is much different and obviously certain precautions and restrictions are sensible.

As such, the total number of Covid fatalities are constantly presented with needs to be taken in context with what is to be expected in other "normal" years. "

Because they are surpassing flu deaths and perhaps more importantly massively exceeding non fatal hospitalisations DESPITE all off the sacrifices we have made as a country to limit the viruses impact.

NW London

"

Fair enough.

As such, the total number of Covid fatalities are constantly presented with needs to be taken in context with what is to be expected in other "normal" years.

Because they are surpassing flu deaths and perhaps more importantly massively exceeding non fatal hospitalisations DESPITE all off the sacrifices we have made as a country to limit the viruses impact. "

Understandable.

I just think it's more relatable to present as a comparison between average per year and average for 2020 or to present the excess death figure rather than the total seeing as most people have no concept of how many people pass away each day/month/annually in regular times.

Also, I thought that flu/pneumonia related deaths were actually down this year as a result of Covid (which has obviously pushed up the excess figure)?

By *eard-lincolnMan  over a year ago

market rasen

[Removed by poster at 25/11/20 21:46:31]

By *eard-lincolnMan  over a year ago

market rasen

"

Fair enough.

Because they are surpassing flu deaths and perhaps more importantly massively exceeding non fatal hospitalisations DESPITE all off the sacrifices we have made as a country to limit the viruses impact.

Understandable.

I just think it's more relatable to present as a comparison between average per year and average for 2020 or to present the excess death figure rather than the total seeing as most people have no concept of how many people pass away each day/month/annually in regular times.

Also, I thought that flu/pneumonia related deaths were actually down this year as a result of Covid (which has obviously pushed up the excess figure)?"

The last figures I could find showed that the first few weeks in November there were 2500 excess deaths a week , and in April the average was 9000 excess deaths a week. So those 6 weeks alone there was 41000 more deaths than normal.

The new flu advert on the tv says there’s normally an average of 11,000 flu deaths a year.

the wetlands

"

Fair enough.

Understandable.

Also, I thought that flu/pneumonia related deaths were actually down this year as a result of Covid (which has obviously pushed up the excess figure)?

The last figures I could find showed that the first few weeks in November there were 2500 excess deaths a week , and in April the average was 9000 excess deaths a week. So those 6 weeks alone there was 41000 more deaths than normal.

The new flu advert on the tv says there’s normally an average of 11,000 flu deaths a year."

Ah but, How many were bus crashes and how many parachutes didn't open

"

Fair enough.

Understandable.

Also, I thought that flu/pneumonia related deaths were actually down this year as a result of Covid (which has obviously pushed up the excess figure)?"

Why do you feel flu deaths and covid deaths should be compared?

The flu deaths average has already been surpassed by covid in the spring and this was with the most extraordinary measures in place in terms of infection control within society and obviously a huge shift in resources to treat covid patients.

The annual flu deaths are high historically but they aren’t comparable to covid-19, if we had of made no special provision for covid-19 treatment, if we hadn’t of introduced lockdown where would covid-19 deaths be now? 10x more? 20x more?

Both make you sneeze, cough, are normally non fatal viruses but they are two very different entities in truth. Flu’s threat level to the NHS as a service has always been a strain on resources but it’s nothing compared to C19

south birmingham

"

Delusional idiots... that is all"

my thoughts exactly, welcome aboard

south birmingham

Where do you get your accurate data from? "

certainly not the media, when have they ever told the truth, i have eyes and ears.

south birmingham

Didn’t take long, what figure do you believe? "

as mentioned, my eyes and ears.

certainly not the media, when have they ever told the truth, i have eyes and ears."

I also have eyes and ears, do you have access to some secret information that the rest of us don’t ?

By *hilledOutGuy1Man  over a year ago

Not far away

No doubt someone will now remind me that covid only kills the elderly and infirm so no need to worry. But then i guess that all those killed in WW2 would be dead by now anyway, so really we ought to just forget that as well..."

I really think you need to get out more, oh wait..... .

By *ip_brumMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"

Delusional idiots... that is all

my thoughts exactly, welcome aboard"

You didn’t get that did you, it was you he was referring to as being deluded.

NW London

"

Fair enough.

Understandable.

Why do you feel flu deaths and covid deaths should be compared?

The flu deaths average has already been surpassed by covid in the spring and this was with the most extraordinary measures in place in terms of infection control within society and obviously a huge shift in resources to treat covid patients.

The annual flu deaths are high historically but they aren’t comparable to covid-19, if we had of made no special provision for covid-19 treatment, if we hadn’t of introduced lockdown where would covid-19 deaths be now? 10x more? 20x more?

Both make you sneeze, cough, are normally non fatal viruses but they are two very different entities in truth. Flu’s threat level to the NHS as a service has always been a strain on resources but it’s nothing compared to C19"

The annual Flu is the closest comparison we have to Covid (at least in layman's terms). Both are transmitted the same ways, have similar symptoms and follow a similar cycle of seasonal rates of infection.

By *ugget O CassMan  over a year ago

Salt lake

Reality alert! Even without covid people die they really do you know! Last year we had nearly as many deaths form other things!

"The annual Flu is the closest comparison we have to Covid (at least in layman's terms). Both are transmitted the same ways, have similar symptoms and follow a similar cycle of seasonal rates of infection.

"

But that’s completely wrong, obviously the closet comparisons are the other coronavirus based infections.

Flu and Covid are very different beasts.

"Reality alert! Even without covid people die they really do you know! Last year we had nearly as many deaths form other things! "

Is that one straight from Donald Trumps Rhetoric playbook?

Seriously, I’m compelled... you had me at “reality alert”

"Didn’t take long, what figure do you believe?

as mentioned, my eyes and ears."

Glasses and an ear syringe would be my tip hun x

Stockport

"Reality alert! Even without covid people die they really do you know! Last year we had nearly as many deaths form other things! "

If only Harold Shipman had thought to use that defence...

"M'lord, i put it to you that they were old and were soon to drop off the twig anyway. Also last year we had nearly as many deaths from other things."

"Yes, i see now, many thanks to my learned friend for pointing that out. Clearly there is no case to be brought. All charges are dismissed. Doctor Shipman, you are free to continue with your good work in dispatching the elderly who are soon to die anyway and are merely a drain on the resources of the country."

"Thank you M'lord, if i hurry up there is just enough time to do another 498 today."

the wetlands

"Reality alert! Even without covid people die they really do you know! Last year we had nearly as many deaths form other things!

"M'lord, i put it to you that they were old and were soon to drop off the twig anyway. Also last year we had nearly as many deaths from other things."

"Yes, i see now, many thanks to my learned friend for pointing that out. Clearly there is no case to be brought. All charges are dismissed. Doctor Shipman, you are free to continue with your good work in dispatching the elderly who are soon to die anyway and are merely a drain on the resources of the country."

"Thank you M'lord, if i hurry up there is just enough time to do another 498 today.""

Ha ha brilliant

"Reality alert! Even without covid people die they really do you know! Last year we had nearly as many deaths form other things!

"Thank you M'lord, if i hurry up there is just enough time to do another 498 today.""

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Reality alert. If Covid restrictions had not been in place we would have had many many more Covid deaths this year...

By *asmartsCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

Difference is they were all fit young men with their futures ahead of them

In my opinion the point made about about the Falkland deaths comparison is a very valid one. Since the daily political updates stopped the (high) number of deaths are hardly ever mention on the news or by the press. Maradona's death has occupied far space for three days in a row!!!..How crazy is that. The media have lost all perspective and balance and are not serving us well.

Difference is they were all fit young men with their futures ahead of them

"

And?

south birmingham

certainly not the media, when have they ever told the truth, i have eyes and ears.

I also have eyes and ears, do you have access to some secret information that the rest of us don’t ? "

Doubt it, most people have world news in the palm of their hands.Certainly dont believe proven liars and corrupt media.

By *orkiecplCouple  over a year ago

York

After watching a documentary on bbc 2 about the spannish flu of 1918-1919 the current number of deaths from covid seem so small, the spannish flu killed world wide 50-100 million, that was a true pandemic

By *handraWoman  over a year ago

Hastings

I also have eyes and ears, do you have access to some secret information that the rest of us don’t ?

Doubt it, most people have world news in the palm of their hands.Certainly dont believe proven liars and corrupt media."

The media put out headlines with figures, however the 'small print' says deaths 28 days after testing positive. The deaths are of any cause of death.

More deaths will be due to people bit going to doctors or hospital, surgery postponement, scaled down treatments and suicides.

By *extasy19Couple  over a year ago

Northampton

From The Guardian yesterday quoting PHE stats, of the covid deaths in the last month, there was no-one under the age of 27 and only 16 deaths where there was no underlying health condition. Those seem rather more objective numbers.

"From The Guardian yesterday quoting PHE stats, of the covid deaths in the last month, there was no-one under the age of 27 and only 16 deaths where there was no underlying health condition. Those seem rather more objective numbers."

Do they publish the ages of those with no known underlying health conditions, out of curiosity? Sorry I never look at the figures so just curious

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Cebu City

Doubt it, most people have world news in the palm of their hands.Certainly dont believe proven liars and corrupt media.

The media put out headlines with figures, however the 'small print' says deaths 28 days after testing positive. The deaths are of any cause of death.

More deaths will be due to people bit going to doctors or hospital, surgery postponement, scaled down treatments and suicides. "

Yep, our government no longer even attempt to count actual COVID deaths. Cause of death has always puzzled me , it’s like a monism, it’s flawed, there’s all sorts of things lead to death. They should put on a few death certificates - this person sat in a lazy boy chair watching Jeremy Kyle, he drank , smoked and pushed donuts into his face until he died. COVID never stood a chance with that kind of competition.

» Add a new message to this topic