FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Nightingale

Nightingale

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

Listened to GMTV on Friday

The nightingale hospitals are only being used as a last resort?

WTF

Why are you overcrowding NHS hospitals for covid patients, when a purpose built centre was created by the tax payer?

FFS

Use these facilities, enabling other people with life threatening problems use local hospitals, as a cancer survivor in remission, I haven’t seen anyone for twelve months next month.

I’m overdue by 11 months.

I was supposed to have blood tests

I sit here thinking, why are we not treating covid 19 patients in the facilities build and designed for that purpose?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"Listened to GMTV on Friday

The nightingale hospitals are only being used as a last resort?

WTF

Why are you overcrowding NHS hospitals for covid patients, when a purpose built centre was created by the tax payer?

FFS

Use these facilities, enabling other people with life threatening problems use local hospitals, as a cancer survivor in remission, I haven’t seen anyone for twelve months next month.

I’m overdue by 11 months.

I was supposed to have blood tests

I sit here thinking, why are we not treating covid 19 patients in the facilities build and designed for that purpose?

"

Given how many threads there have been about the Nightingale hospitals, with thorough and in depth explanations from front line NHS staff, I'm really surprised you're asking.......

E

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

My take away from the discussions previously on this forum is that there are not enough qualified personnel to staff the facilities.

Which makes me question why we spent millions of £££ building the things in the first place or why we haven't tried to train anybody up in basic covid care to assist in staffing them.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Short answer - there's not enough staff to staff both the Nightingales and regular hospitals.

By *lue MancMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Because there are not enough doctors and nurses to leave our hospitals and go to the nightingale.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"Short answer - there's not enough staff to staff both the Nightingales and regular hospitals."

I suppose there aren't enough covid cases per area to justify having full time staff in the Nightingales and use them soley for covid patients.

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Short answer - there's not enough staff to staff both the Nightingales and regular hospitals."

I realise that I really do, but as previous post says, why build them in first place?

Appreciate staffing issue, but we need dedicated hospitals for this cruel virus, not impact on other illnesses and create hotspots where covid is very likely to spread to other ill patients.. surely nhs staff can see and understand that?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Short answer - there's not enough staff to staff both the Nightingales and regular hospitals.

I realise that I really do, but as previous post says, why build them in first place?

Appreciate staffing issue, but we need dedicated hospitals for this cruel virus, not impact on other illnesses and create hotspots where covid is very likely to spread to other ill patients.. surely nhs staff can see and understand that?"

Pr stunt?

North West

"Short answer - there's not enough staff to staff both the Nightingales and regular hospitals.

Appreciate staffing issue, but we need dedicated hospitals for this cruel virus, not impact on other illnesses and create hotspots where covid is very likely to spread to other ill patients.. surely nhs staff can see and understand that?"

Why build them? Government sound bite? They were told at the time that staffing would be almost impossible. It made the Govt look good to those who read the headlines. Pandemic strikes; Govt builds more hospital space. What's not to love?

Fully agree proper services need to be restored. NHS staff are doing what the decision makers at the top tell them. The ordinary doctor or nurse at the sharp end hasn't got much choice. My urogynae consultant made it clear he wanted to see his patients in clinic, but simply wasn't given enough clinic time to do that. How does he assess problems of the urinary & gynae systems over the phone?

The South

Appreciate staffing issue, but we need dedicated hospitals for this cruel virus, not impact on other illnesses and create hotspots where covid is very likely to spread to other ill patients.. surely nhs staff can see and understand that?

Pr stunt?"

If we didn't have them, but desperately needed them, what would your criticism read like?

E

liverpool

Pr stunt?

If we didn't have them, but desperately needed them, what would your criticism read like?

E"

Why build something you cant use?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Pr stunt?

E

Why build something you cant use?"

Because they didn't know what capacity would be needed. Had the worst happened, it was better to have the facilities to have more Covid patients in one place. The nightingale hospitals have capacity for far more than normal individual hospitals. You can then have central points for doctors to work in. It is more efficient if dealing with thousands of critically ill in one place at one time, however it comes at a cost of all other services as you redeploy staff. They reason we aren't shipping Covid cases into them much at the moment is the local hospitals have the capacity (just in some cases) to take the patients. This then means that when the doctors aren't treating Covid cases, they are close enough at hand to be able to then treat other cases. It is simply down to what allows the most efficient treatment with the resources available. It would be lovely to staff both, but that isn't possible now or in the near future.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

Not enough staff, God help us if we hit a PANDEMIC

North West

Not enough staff, God help us if we hit a PANDEMIC "

That's what happens when the default model before the pandemic is "bare bones". We're overwhelmed in the NHS every winter. Our local hospital was on black alert last winter, it cancelled elective surgery every winter for the past 3yrs. The staffing and capacity issues are not new.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Lots of nhs staff and families are self isolating, front line services are stretched because of having quantities of staff off, when they say not to overstretch the nhs its not just from admittance of patients, its also staff being infected.

Hope you get seen soon Stella x

By *he Ring WraithMan  over a year ago

Bradford

"My take away from the discussions previously on this forum is that there are not enough qualified personnel to staff the facilities.

Which makes me question why we spent millions of £££ building the things in the first place or why we haven't tried to train anybody up in basic covid care to assist in staffing them."

They were no doubt built by companies that Boris and his friends have stakes in .... jobs for the boys / girls / whoever !

By *usybee73Man  over a year ago

in the sticks

Owners are in the same network of lodges no doubt

liverpool

Pr stunt?

E

Because they didn't know what capacity would be needed. Had the worst happened, it was better to have the facilities to have more Covid patients in one place. The nightingale hospitals have capacity for far more than normal individual hospitals. You can then have central points for doctors to work in. It is more efficient if dealing with thousands of critically ill in one place at one time, however it comes at a cost of all other services as you redeploy staff. They reason we aren't shipping Covid cases into them much at the moment is the local hospitals have the capacity (just in some cases) to take the patients. This then means that when the doctors aren't treating Covid cases, they are close enough at hand to be able to then treat other cases. It is simply down to what allows the most efficient treatment with the resources available. It would be lovely to staff both, but that isn't possible now or in the near future."

You could be right

I dont work in the nhs.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"My take away from the discussions previously on this forum is that there are not enough qualified personnel to staff the facilities.

Which makes me question why we spent millions of £££ building the things in the first place or why we haven't tried to train anybody up in basic covid care to assist in staffing them.

They were no doubt built by companies that Boris and his friends have stakes in .... jobs for the boys / girls / whoever !"

Like the Armed Forces?

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

And if they hadn't built them same people complaining about their lack of use would probably be complaining about their lack of existence.

They where created as a fail safe to back up hospitals overwhelmed with covid.

I think I read a post by one of the more informed and reliable sources on here they are using them for rehabilitation for patients recovering , which is sensible that way they won't need staff to be as qualified to staff.

Or at least as many as they would in ICU.

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

Councils and the government like to waste public money on token things like the nightingales , cycle lanes and pavement closures all of which don't get used but gives the media a story either way ?

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Councils and the government like to waste public money on token things like the nightingales , cycle lanes and pavement closures all of which don't get used but gives the media a story either way ?"

I wouldn't call cycle lanes a waste of money.

Also the nightingales.

If they are underused or not used surely that's a good thing.

It's once the nightingales are overwhelmed that we really need to shit ourselves.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Lots of nhs staff that can be used for the nightingales are ready to be seconded from other areas, back in March K had to fly out forms to say what skills she had from previous roles

The South

Pr stunt?

E

Why build something you cant use?"

Nice sidestep.

I'll ask again.

E

The South

Pr stunt?

E

Because they didn't know what capacity would be needed. Had the worst happened, it was better to have the facilities to have more Covid patients in one place. The nightingale hospitals have capacity for far more than normal individual hospitals. You can then have central points for doctors to work in. It is more efficient if dealing with thousands of critically ill in one place at one time, however it comes at a cost of all other services as you redeploy staff. They reason we aren't shipping Covid cases into them much at the moment is the local hospitals have the capacity (just in some cases) to take the patients. This then means that when the doctors aren't treating Covid cases, they are close enough at hand to be able to then treat other cases. It is simply down to what allows the most efficient treatment with the resources available. It would be lovely to staff both, but that isn't possible now or in the near future."

This. ^

E

The South

"Councils and the government like to waste public money on token things like the nightingales , cycle lanes and pavement closures all of which don't get used but gives the media a story either way ?"

You'd be happier if we didn't spend the money on the Nightingales, but needed them and couldn't treat thousands of people I presume?

E

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

"Councils and the government like to waste public money on token things like the nightingales , cycle lanes and pavement closures all of which don't get used but gives the media a story either way ?

You'd be happier if we didn't spend the money on the Nightingales, but needed them and couldn't treat thousands of people I presume?

E"

Given how many threads there have been about the Nightingale hospitals, with thorough and in depth explanations from front line NHS staff, I'm really surprised you're asking.......

Could you summarise please?, I didn’t read them all, have forgotten some and others didn’t seem to sit right....

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Not enough staff, God help us if we hit a PANDEMIC "

What tax rate would you like to pay...

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The 'leader' has form for style over substance and lies. If he can hoodwink, he will.

We achieved some great construction but it didn't reverse 10 years of underfunding the core services we need. Recent winters showed corridors filled with people waiting. Queues of ambulances with patients who couldn't be offloaded for treatment.

The EU plan he vhampioned ensured overseas medical staff were unwelcome and left. The service was threadbare.

It's very sad and small wonder that warehouse hospitals thrown up quickly are difficult to resource. Vacancy levels remain high.

The full plans for these Nightingales aren't too clear but splitting staff into more spots could fragment our abilities to give suitably high care levels that sustain safety.

We will have to invest in our essential core services if we are to ever cope with extreme problems and maintain the decent cancer care and other services that are fundamental to treatment of everyone with suitably high speed and quality at all times.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

Government might like wasting money but councils haven't had that luxury for years and are struggling to keep front line services running.

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

"Councils and the government like to waste public money on token things like the nightingales , cycle lanes and pavement closures all of which don't get used but gives the media a story either way ?

Also the nightingales.

It's once the nightingales are overwhelmed that we really need to shit ourselves."

I would when they already have them in and then put another along side using a lane that could take cars but now causing a bottle neck

Also the ones along side some B roads cyclist don't use them prefer to ride two or three abreast on the road putting their selves and other road users in danger ?

The South

E

Could you summarise please?, I didn’t read them all, have forgotten some and others didn’t seem to sit right.... "

No need, green arrow yourself, you've posted on most of them.

E

By *j48Man  over a year ago

Wigan

Not enough staff?

Where have all the hundreds, nay thousands of retired and "gone to do something else" NHS doctors, matrons, sisters and nurses dissappeared to that apparently where signing up in droves to help out in April?

A figment of Government lies me thinks

"

Also the nightingales.

It's once the nightingales are overwhelmed that we really need to shit ourselves.I would when they already have them in and then put another along side using a lane that could take cars but now causing a bottle neck

Also the ones along side some B roads cyclist don't use them prefer to ride two or three abreast on the road putting their selves and other road users in danger ? "

1. Cyclists are not compelled to use cycle lanes even when they exist - and there are a multitude of reasons why a cyclist would choose not too, nearly all for their own safety. (eg potholes, full of debris etc etc)

2. Cycling 2 abreast is SAFER than not in many circumstances (although not all). In particular it often prevents impatient (and usually ignorant) motorists attempting "close passes" by ensuring there is insufficient overtaking space.

North West

"Not enough staff?

Where have all the hundreds, nay thousands of retired and "gone to do something else" NHS doctors, matrons, sisters and nurses dissappeared to that apparently where signing up in droves to help out in April?

"

Yeah, because asking a bunch of retired people (in the main over 65/70) to work 12hr shifts, on their feet, wearing full PPE etc is a sustainable model? Not forgetting the retraining many will need on current machinery, systems etc?

Also nurses (some retired) brought in to work on 111 clinical helplines didn't work out because of a lack of training, too much responsibility out of their ability and a lack of oversight.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/majority-of-retired-nhs-staff-dont-want-to-return-to-tackle-covid-19-crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/01/nurses-barred-from-nhs-111-covid-clinical-service-after-60-of-calls-unsafe

Wigan

"Not enough staff?

Yeah, because asking a bunch of retired people (in the main over 65/70) to work 12hr shifts, on their feet, wearing full PPE etc is a sustainable model? Not forgetting the retraining many will need on current machinery, systems etc?

Also nurses (some retired) brought in to work on 111 clinical helplines didn't work out because of a lack of training, too much responsibility out of their ability and a lack of oversight.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/majority-of-retired-nhs-staff-dont-want-to-return-to-tackle-covid-19-crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/01/nurses-barred-from-nhs-111-covid-clinical-service-after-60-of-calls-unsafe"

Exactly, so that bit of amazing news from Half cock hancock, at one of his "We're keeping you safe, we're ramping up this and that" etc was in fact BULLSHIT

wigan

E

Could you summarise please?, I didn’t read them all, have forgotten some and others didn’t seem to sit right....

E"

Ok ... have done not much there? Could you summarise please? I’m sure the OP would appreciate it too!

North West

"Not enough staff?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/01/nurses-barred-from-nhs-111-covid-clinical-service-after-60-of-calls-unsafe

Exactly, so that bit of amazing news from Half cock hancock, at one of his "We're keeping you safe, we're ramping up this and that" etc was in fact BULLSHIT"

It sounds good though. Blitz spirit etc. Dunkirk when we sent random boats over to France becomes drafting in retirees to bolster the ship. It's all very the sort of Churchillian style that our dear leader likes.

Wigan

"Not enough staff?

Exactly, so that bit of amazing news from Half cock hancock, at one of his "We're keeping you safe, we're ramping up this and that" etc was in fact BULLSHIT

It sounds good though. Blitz spirit etc. Dunkirk when we sent random boats over to France becomes drafting in retirees to bolster the ship. It's all very the sort of Churchillian style that our dear leader likes."

We're now, at least, being primed for another 6 months of this shit..

People need to start to realise we're on a ship with no engine nor rudder and a fucking great hole it's side

The South

E

E

Ok ... have done not much there? Could you summarise please? I’m sure the OP would appreciate it too! "

Just read through this thread then. Most of the words are quite small, not too many letters or syllables. I'm sure someone as intelligent as you can manage.

E

wigan

E

E

Ok ... have done not much there? Could you summarise please? I’m sure the OP would appreciate it too!

Just read through this thread then. Most of the words are quite small, not too many letters or syllables. I'm sure someone as intelligent as you can manage.

E"

Ah right, got you now.... so the thorough and in depth assessment by front line staff was that nightingales where a load of shite ?

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

It was a publicity stunt - state propaganda. Using the army when exhibition construction companies would have done a better job and needed the work.

I though it would be relatively easy / quick to train people to help treat / deal with COVID-19 but of course the overwhelming majority have other serious health issues or are elderly.

Exeter are now using there nightingale hospital for covid cases

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Be thankful they weren't needed rather than questioning why they weren't used.

They were built in very dark days when the situation looked very grave.

Hindsight would have been wonderful in March.

The South

"Be thankful they weren't needed rather than questioning why they weren't used.

Hindsight would have been wonderful in March."

I'm struggling to understand why people don't understand this.

The "whine whine whine, we spent all this money and no one's used them" mantra is frankly ridiculous.

Because the alternative is......?

There are hundreds of posts wailing about the waste of money.

When questioned about what they'd say if we didn't have them and desperately needed them always goes unanswered.

They ignore, or answer a different question, or simply make another wholly irrelevant, unrelated comment.

To me, the choice is simple, "waste" the money and not need the resource is better than saving the money and desperately desperately needing it.

A no brainer, surely?

E

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

In Glasgow they’ve been using the Louise Jordan facility for training nurses, doctors and dentists as they can train but keep social distancing as well.

By *oojCouple  over a year ago

exeter

Why can't military medical staff be used?

liverpool

Pr stunt?

E

Nice sidestep.

I'll ask again.

E

"

What have I sidestepped?

The poster above responded to me.

As an outsider,it seems a bit strange that you would have an an hospital standing there which you dont have the staff to full.

But the other poster responded with an explanation.

I still dont fully get it but I dont know the ins and outs.

They certainly carped on about them enough.

liverpool

"Why can't military medical staff be used?"

I don't think they have enough

liverpool

The "whine whine whine, we spent all this money and no one's used them" mantra is frankly ridiculous.

When questioned about what they'd say if we didn't have them and desperately needed them always goes unanswered.

They ignore, or answer a different question, or simply make another wholly irrelevant, unrelated comment.

To me, the choice is simple, "waste" the money and not need the resource is better than saving the money and desperately desperately needing it.

A no brainer, surely?

E"

You act as if we shouldn't dare ask questions.

Shall we keep shtum about the millions spent in the ppe scandal too?

The South

Pr stunt?

E

Nice sidestep.

I'll ask again.

E

What have I sidestepped?

As an outsider,it seems a bit strange that you would have an an hospital standing there which you dont have the staff to full.

They certainly carped on about them enough."

I asked you;

"If we didn't have them, but desperately needed them, what would your criticism read like?"

You answered;

"Why build something you cant use?"

That's a sidestep and didn't answer my question. But I think you know that.

E

The South

A no brainer, surely?

E

You act as if we shouldn't dare ask questions.

Shall we keep shtum about the millions spent in the ppe scandal too?"

I'm not suggesting questions are not asked or welcomed. I'm asking what people don't understand about why we spent the money, but didn't fully use the facilitys.

I'm also staying on topic and not conflating.

E

wigan

A no brainer, surely?

E"

While you didn’t answer my previous question.... what people aren’t understanding is the logic behind resource being used to ‘build’ nightingales without the staff to man them. So by the “what if we’d needed them and they weren’t built..” what if we built them, needed them then hadn’t the staff to do the work? In that case they would be a waste of money and by all accounts that was the case. With cases falling and capacity not exceeded they were still being built! Then they’re built and redundant but there’s the second wave doom mongering... so what do we do?, start pulling them down!

So hindsight’s magic I know... but foresight’s importance can’t be ignored. We’re going to build this for 1000 patients... great! .... how many staff do we need? .. 300.... how many staff have we got? Well err none.... shit.... carry on building though! The public are saying we’re wankers because we’ve wasted a shit load of their money.... but theres going to be a second wave, hundreds of thousands will die.... ah well ... dismantle the things.

So while I can’t understand why you don’t understand hopefully there’s some insight into others concerns.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

OP I’m sorry you are still waiting for your tests, which must be stressful, I hope you get them soon.

I’m beginning to think treatment/operations of other issues outside of covid is becoming a lottery of where you live.

Some I know have still had their follow up care, tests and necessary operations / treatment. Some very quickly and appears in line with normal procedure for their ailments, others scans / tests due in May now completed as staff working overtime on Saturdays to provide extra slots for the catch up programme; along with routine operations now taking place.

liverpool

Pr stunt?

E

Nice sidestep.

I'll ask again.

E

What have I sidestepped?

I asked you;

"If we didn't have them, but desperately needed them, what would your criticism read like?"

You answered;

E"

My answer would have been the lines of.so what happened to the 40 odd new hospitals which were promised pre election?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

A no brainer, surely?

E

While you didn’t answer my previous question.... what people aren’t understanding is the logic behind resource being used to ‘build’ nightingales without the staff to man them. So by the “what if we’d needed them and they weren’t built..” what if we built them, needed them then hadn’t the staff to do the work? In that case they would be a waste of money and by all accounts that was the case. With cases falling and capacity not exceeded they were still being built! Then they’re built and redundant but there’s the second wave doom mongering... so what do we do?, start pulling them down!

So hindsight’s magic I know... but foresight’s importance can’t be ignored. We’re going to build this for 1000 patients... great! .... how many staff do we need? .. 300.... how many staff have we got? Well err none.... shit.... carry on building though! The public are saying we’re wankers because we’ve wasted a shit load of their money.... but theres going to be a second wave, hundreds of thousands will die.... ah well ... dismantle the things.

So while I can’t understand why you don’t understand hopefully there’s some insight into others concerns. "

I think fiscal responsibility and general planning haven't been fortes of this leadership

The South

Pr stunt?

E

Nice sidestep.

I'll ask again.

E

What have I sidestepped?

I asked you;

You answered;

E

My answer would have been the lines of.so what happened to the 40 odd new hospitals which were promised pre election?

"

Ok, I understand. I'll not ask again.

I don't see that the two are connected. I'd also suggest that since pre-election, things have changed a tad.

E

liverpool

Pr stunt?

E

Nice sidestep.

I'll ask again.

E

What have I sidestepped?

I asked you;

You answered;

E

I don't see that the two are connected. I'd also suggest that since pre-election, things have changed a tad.

E"

Well if the new hospitals were built, we wouldnt need temporary ones.

And clearly there is a need for them,even pre pandemic.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

My daughter has been told she might have to wait a year for her very necessary operation due to the chaos caused in the NHS by the need to treat virus patients many of whom caught the virus because they chose not to follow the simple guidance on how to stay safe. Seeing the whole issue made to look like one of politics is crass.

The South

Pr stunt?

E

Nice sidestep.

I'll ask again.

E

What have I sidestepped?

I asked you;

You answered;

E

E

"

I think it takes a while to build a hospital, a proper one, not a Nightingale.

They'd still be building them now in reality.

But again, I suspect you know this, you bugger.

E

liverpool

Pr stunt?

E

Nice sidestep.

I'll ask again.

E

What have I sidestepped?

I asked you;

You answered;

E

E

I think it takes a while to build a hospital, a proper one, not a Nightingale.

They'd still be building them now in reality.

But again, I suspect you know this, you bugger.

E"

They promised 40 new hospitals

Its actually 6 and most are refurbs.

Still we know the truth is an alien concept to some.

» Add a new message to this topic