FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > So, lockdown works.

So, lockdown works.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ab james OP   Man  over a year ago

ribble valley

Cases down by a third, due to lockdown. Even with workplaces, schools still operating etc.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Strange as i know more people now with covid than i have done throughout the pandemic.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

As lockdown has apparantly been so successful, why have some areas gone from tier 1 to tier 3 ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"As lockdown has apparantly been so successful, why have some areas gone from tier 1 to tier 3 ?"

Possibly because not everyone has actually been following lock down restrictions and kept going about their business??

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

"As lockdown has apparantly been so successful, why have some areas gone from tier 1 to tier 3 ?"
Yes just what I was about to say as well, why have so many lockdows and differnt tiers, lockdows are not good for businesses tho.

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

Eactly many areas were past there 2nd peak and rates were failing before lockdown 2 e.g. Liverpool.

Also many places were lagging behind especially in the south and were / are still moving towards / hitting there 2nd peak hence many many areas in the country have seen rises in cases regardless of lockdown 2.

As other posters have said that's why the majority of areas will be going into a higher tier on the 2nd Dec regardless of the economic devastation that will cause as its the busiest time of year for many sectors especially hospitality.

In fact some areas are going from Tier 1 straight to Tier 3.

It's easy to say lockdowns work if you look at it in very simplistic terms however the reality its much more complicated than that.

Also lockdowns are a blunt destructive tool that cause widespread, long term damage to many and are only there to stop the NHS becoming overwhelmed and buy a bit of time until herd immunity or a vaccine. That's the only purpose people need to fully grasp that.

KJ

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

They probably work short term then open up and round it goes , this will all stop when we as a country can’t pay for it any longer which with the debt the U.K. is in heading for £2.8 Trillion and with Tax rises needed of £45 Billion or cuts

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

"They probably work short term then open up and round it goes , this will all stop when we as a country can’t pay for it any longer which with the debt the U.K. is in heading for £2.8 Trillion and with Tax rises needed of £45 Billion or cuts "

“........ They probably work short term....”

———————————-

If lockdown works in the short term then it’s still worth doing. The short term gain prevents the NHS from being overstretched, which if that happens, would cause more deaths from other illnesses other than covid.

“........ this will all stop when we as a country can’t pay......”

————————————-

We won’t get to that stage where we can’t pay for it.

The lockdowns will end next Spring when hopefully three vaccines would have been rolled out. The country won’t go bankrupt between now and next April.

Herne Bay

"They probably work short term then open up and round it goes , this will all stop when we as a country can’t pay for it any longer which with the debt the U.K. is in heading for £2.8 Trillion and with Tax rises needed of £45 Billion or cuts

———————————-

If lockdown works in the short term then it’s still worth doing. The short term gain prevents the NHS from being overstretched, which if that happens, would cause more deaths from other illnesses other than covid.

————————————-

The lockdowns will end next Spring when hopefully three vaccines would have been rolled out. The country won’t go bankrupt between now and next April. "

won’t go bankrupt but in the worst economy for 300 years ,Furlongs hiding for the moment of how bad economically it’s going to be

"They probably work short term then open up and round it goes , this will all stop when we as a country can’t pay for it any longer which with the debt the U.K. is in heading for £2.8 Trillion and with Tax rises needed of £45 Billion or cuts

———————————-

————————————-

The lockdowns will end next Spring when hopefully three vaccines would have been rolled out. The country won’t go bankrupt between now and next April. won’t go bankrupt but in the worst economy for 300 years ,Furlongs hiding for the moment of how bad economically it’s going to be "

And brexit is just around the corner as well.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Aren't they supposed to be providing the full calculation details for the tiers Sally, as a way to secure enough votes?

London

———————————-

————————————-

The lockdowns will end next Spring when hopefully three vaccines would have been rolled out. The country won’t go bankrupt between now and next April. won’t go bankrupt but in the worst economy for 300 years ,Furlongs hiding for the moment of how bad economically it’s going to be "

“........won’t go bankrupt but in the worst economy for 300 years ,Furlongs hiding for the moment of how bad economically it’s going to be.....”

————————————

We will recover from it - just like we did in The Great Depression and other economic recessions we have encountered over the centuries.

Those who die as a result of the pandemic ( covid & non covid ) have no hope of recovery.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Strange as i know more people now with covid than i have done throughout the pandemic."

Snap...admittedly it's not a huge number but in the last week I've been made aware of 4 people with it...and the local R number is below 1.

Prior to that one for months...when my local R number was higher.

I wonder if its just timing and / or also people providing no/false/inaccurate information.

Tin town

Because tier 3 is a continuation of lockdown and because we have won some territory back and we don't want to give it back again.

? What with the ridiculous covid fest that will be Xmas and New year. And letting fans back into sports grounds and events.

London

"Strange as i know more people now with covid than i have done throughout the pandemic."

And that’s because we are doing more testing now than we have done throughout the pandemic.

So your chances of knowing someone who’s had it now, should be higher than before.

By *andR510Couple  over a year ago

St Neots/Wisbech

"Cases down by a third, due to lockdown. Even with workplaces, schools still operating etc. "

Tier system was working before the lockdown, Boris chose to ignore that and imposed it anyway.

Herne Bay

[Removed by poster at 30/11/20 10:24:21]

Tin town

"Cases down by a third, due to lockdown. Even with workplaces, schools still operating etc.

Tier system was working before the lockdown, Boris chose to ignore that and imposed it anyway. "

Don't forget there were many who stated the exact opposite. That local lock downs weren't working, that they refused to go into local lockdown unless there was a national lock down.

Local or national, we are the ones spreading this thing. We have the control of giving it to others, or not. It's on us.

London

"Cases down by a third, due to lockdown. Even with workplaces, schools still operating etc.

Tier system was working before the lockdown, Boris chose to ignore that and imposed it anyway. "

“....... Tier system was working before the lockdown.....”

————————————

It was working before lockdown but it was a ‘slow’ process.

So the national lockdown was introduced to bring the cases down quicker, so that they can justify opening up parts of the economy and social activities in time for Christmas.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Tier system was working before the lockdown, Boris chose to ignore that and imposed it anyway.

Don't forget there were many who stated the exact opposite. That local lock downs weren't working, that they refused to go into local lockdown unless there was a national lock down.

Local or national, we are the ones spreading this thing. We have the control of giving it to others, or not. It's on us. "

Very true mate.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Cases down by a third, due to lockdown. Even with workplaces, schools still operating etc. "
Yes very good news lets be strong lets keep it up.Any Tory MP that votes against it are a discrace they must be punished in someway as complete stupity should not be exeptable in our parliament.

Boris is 100% right on this

My opinion here but: areas have been put into tier 3 to reduce the overall number of infection (not %) so when the xmas break happens the surge will be reduced

It is not a reflection of the area but the miss management of it

If tha makes any sense.

It's a tad disingenuous of Imperial to claim the lockdown is behind the 50% reduction in the north when the cases were already falling pre lockdown. In fact the cases in Liverpool had already peaked before they even went into tier 3.

Surely the public will see ? Having a low key Christmas is the way forward?

If those figures are to be believed,then combined with the possibility of a vaccine very soon,we could make massive headway into a normal summer next year.

Saying that...my next door neighbour, from the first lock down, seems to think they are above having to comply with any lock down.

ribble valley

I see many people aren't happy with infections going down. Strange they try to argue. I believe tiers are being reintroduced to try and prevent people spreading it over Xmas.Too many doom and gloom merchants. Be happy, lower figures are a good thing

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Because as Mr whitty said at the boris show, tiers 1 and 2 are pointless and he/sage want the whole of the uk in tier 3 till april

Local or national, we are the ones spreading this thing. We have the control of giving it to others, or not. It's on us. "

This is what I don't understand. Lockdown, tier this or tier that... it's all just ways to try and *force* people to keep a distance and be less at risk for catching it.

The virus can't jump down a phone line or across a street. I catch a cold from close contact with someone who has a cold. If they sneeze in the same room. If they are snorting next to me on the bus.

Rita Ora and her pals had a birthday party in a restaurant this weekend.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

Because the overall figures are a collective of the entire country; some areas will have higher cases than others, hence the regional tiers.

E

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Will tiers directly or indirectly increase the number of people who want the vaccine? If they are told that the vaccine will be the main way our of continuing restrictions, etc

London

"I see many people aren't happy with infections going down. Strange they try to argue. I believe tiers are being reintroduced to try and prevent people spreading it over Xmas.Too many doom and gloom merchants. Be happy, lower figures are a good thing "

".....I see many people aren't happy with infections going down...."

-------------------------------

Yes, some are not happy that the infections are going down.....and that's because the infections going down is a sign that the lockdowns and tier systems are doing what they are supposed to do: - and that is bring the infection cases down.

So, some people would prefer the cases to remain high.....just so they can say-: 'Lockdowns don't work'

I suppose if lockdowns hasn't meant you have lost your job or your business you could have a different outlook to those who have.

Herne Bay

"I suppose if lockdowns hasn't meant you have lost your job or your business you could have a different outlook to those who have."
That totally true ,many will sing a different tune when the bill comes in

"I suppose if lockdowns hasn't meant you have lost your job or your business you could have a different outlook to those who have. That totally true ,many will sing a different tune when the bill comes in "

What is the solution?

The South

"I suppose if lockdowns hasn't meant you have lost your job or your business you could have a different outlook to those who have. That totally true ,many will sing a different tune when the bill comes in

What is the solution? "

I'd rather lose my job than my life.

I'd rather lose my job than spread a killer virus to others.

E

"I suppose if lockdowns hasn't meant you have lost your job or your business you could have a different outlook to those who have. That totally true ,many will sing a different tune when the bill comes in

What is the solution?

E"

I agree, lockdown are a ‘necessary evil’, they work

The South

What is the solution?

E

I agree, lockdown are a ‘necessary evil’, they work "

A double whammy, the risk of spread is much reduced.

The NHS is not overwhelmed.

Simple, but effective.

E

"I suppose if lockdowns hasn't meant you have lost your job or your business you could have a different outlook to those who have. That totally true ,many will sing a different tune when the bill comes in "
You are right there .

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

and that third will quickly escalate the other way over the next 4/5 weeks, as everyone mixes up again and has their Christmas five day fun

Put rules in place and stick to them or just don’t bother and let everyone do what they wish to do

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

What is the solution?

E"

If they'd sorted out test and trace we wouldn't be in this mess.

I don't want the bill either but I'd rather a bill and a depression than a giant pile of bodies and a huge increase in disability burden

What is the solution?

E"

I wonder if that's why some towns are suffering with high infection rates more than others. People can't afford to stay off work if they have symptoms. Or they will get sacked if they call in sick...

Manchester (she/her)

What is the solution?

E

I wonder if that's why some towns are suffering with high infection rates more than others. People can't afford to stay off work if they have symptoms. Or they will get sacked if they call in sick..."

That's something that's being discussed, that people aren't being tested or don't disclose because they just can't afford to self isolate

The South

What is the solution?

E

I wonder if that's why some towns are suffering with high infection rates more than others. People can't afford to stay off work if they have symptoms. Or they will get sacked if they call in sick..."

I suspect there's a lot of truth in that.

E

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

What is the solution?

E

It was inevitably going to happen as evidenced in the poorer areas of Liverpool where the take up of testing has been low in those areas, and will continue to be the case till properly addressed..

One of the downsides to the zero hours culture..

Lockdowns clearly aint working , they just delay and cause massive spikes in cases

The South

"Lockdowns clearly aint working , they just delay and cause massive spikes in cases"

Can you point to any evidence of that? I'd like to see it.

Lockdowns delay what?

E

Manchester (she/her)

"Lockdowns clearly aint working , they just delay and cause massive spikes in cases"

They delay cases, perhaps?

... Which is what they're meant to do?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

What is the solution?

E

A factor without a doubt.

in Lancashire

Without them the numbers would have been substantially more..

And it's people not being sensible that cause some percentage of the spikes as well as those being stupidly negligent..

Tin town

What is the solution?

E

I don't want the bill either but I'd rather a bill and a depression than a giant pile of bodies and a huge increase in disability burden

"

I'm not convinced by the test and trace word age. I mean there is plenty of evidence (and a lot more anecdotes too) that people provide false or no information so they can't be traced, that people refuse testing because they dont want to risk the Co nsequences of a positive test or plain and simple refuse the Contacts from track and trace. So whilst I agree at the start testing was inadequate and tracing was non existant, its still up to us, the people to stop spreading it, reduce community infections and support measures however small to keep the risk at a minimum.

I'm also seeing massive assumptions about a vaccine. As far as I can tell (and looking for people who know more than me to correct me) no vaccine has yet completed trials, been approved for use in other than clinical trials.

Manchester (she/her)

What is the solution?

E

I'm not convinced by the test and trace word age. I mean there is plenty of evidence (and a lot more anecdotes too) that people provide false or no information so they can't be traced, that people refuse testing because they dont want to risk the Co nsequences of a positive test or plain and simple refuse the Contacts from track and trace. So whilst I agree at the start testing was inadequate and tracing was non existant, its still up to us, the people to stop spreading it, reduce community infections and support measures however small to keep the risk at a minimum.

I'm also seeing massive assumptions about a vaccine. As far as I can tell (and looking for people who know more than me to correct me) no vaccine has yet completed trials, been approved for use in other than clinical trials. "

It's been a massive failure here, but the principle of "find infectious people and keep them away from susceptible people" has worked in public health for centuries, and there's evidence of it working in other countries.

My faith in vaccine is "when the studies are done, the scientists look for problems, the studies are published, more scientists look for problems. After that the regulatory agencies we rely upon to keep us safe in all areas of our lives will examine it, then it'll be approved". Not "jab some random shit into my arm, Covid over"

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

What is the solution?

E

I'm also seeing massive assumptions about a vaccine. As far as I can tell (and looking for people who know more than me to correct me) no vaccine has yet completed trials, been approved for use in other than clinical trials.

It's been a massive failure here, but the principle of "find infectious people and keep them away from susceptible people" has worked in public health for centuries, and there's evidence of it working in other countries.

My faith in vaccine is "when the studies are done, the scientists look for problems, the studies are published, more scientists look for problems. After that the regulatory agencies we rely upon to keep us safe in all areas of our lives will examine it, then it'll be approved". Not "jab some random shit into my arm, Covid over""

What is the solution?

E

I agree, lockdown are a ‘necessary evil’, they work "

I presume neither of you have lost your job or business. So saying you’d be ok with doing so is a bit pointless.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

Unless, we, lock up the students, it'll never, work. The majority just don't listen. Durham city is, swarming with them in large numbers and groups still. Send them home and finish this year online.

What is the solution?

E

I wonder if that's why some towns are suffering with high infection rates more than others. People can't afford to stay off work if they have symptoms. Or they will get sacked if they call in sick...

It was inevitably going to happen as evidenced in the poorer areas of Liverpool where the take up of testing has been low in those areas, and will continue to be the case till properly addressed..

One of the downsides to the zero hours culture.."

Yep. There was something on the news about certain areas in Liverpool not taking part in the mass testing exercise they did.

It must be very worrying for them.

"Unless, we, lock up the students, it'll never, work. The majority just don't listen. Durham city is, swarming with them in large numbers and groups still. Send them home and finish this year online. "

Loads of pensioners where I live mingling without masks, getting too close in shops and when chatting to their neighbours.

Lock them up till next summer. They won't be spreading it or catching it.

What is the solution?

E

One of the downsides to the zero hours culture.."

I’m a zero hours worker. I’ve had approximately 40 hours work since February. No furlough money for me and due to my savings no benefits either.

ribble valley

"Unless, we, lock up the students, it'll never, work. The majority just don't listen. Durham city is, swarming with them in large numbers and groups still. Send them home and finish this year online.

Loads of pensioners where I live mingling without masks, getting too close in shops and when chatting to their neighbours.

Lock them up till next summer. They won't be spreading it or catching it. "

Can we paint a red Cross on their front door too?

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Great, let's lockdown permanently then. Only the chosen few can hold down jobs, everyone else gets supported by the state as businesses go to the wall one after the other. It may work, but it is not a viable option for the vast majority of people.

By *he Ring WraithMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Says who ? Oh yeh the people who imposed lockdown so their idea is a success, but then only in some places it seems as most of us will be in tier 3 and that is almost lockdown anyway.

Good job Boris the dictator has negotiated with Covid to stop infecting people at christmas so there is not another spike in the new year - but then he can always lock the country down again and bring cases down !

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Unless, we, lock up the students, it'll never, work. The majority just don't listen. Durham city is, swarming with them in large numbers and groups still. Send them home and finish this year online. "

Lock them behind barricades again? Hopefully they will get their course fees reduced as a result of having to do everything online too, it seems only fair.

Manchester (she/her)

"Great, let's lockdown permanently then. Only the chosen few can hold down jobs, everyone else gets supported by the state as businesses go to the wall one after the other. It may work, but it is not a viable option for the vast majority of people. "

I'm not in favour of that.

The first lockdown was necessary while we got a handle on the situation.

Other measures and lockdowns could have been prevented with a better test and trace system set up in the summer, or over the last month.

I'd rather be in the frying pan (lockdown) than fire (where we were before lockdown), but I don't particularly want either.

Tin town

"Unless, we, lock up the students, it'll never, work. The majority just don't listen. Durham city is, swarming with them in large numbers and groups still. Send them home and finish this year online.

Lock them behind barricades again? Hopefully they will get their course fees reduced as a result of having to do everything online too, it seems only fair. "

No chance of fees being repaid. They've been ripped off this year.

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

Lock them behind barricades again? Hopefully they will get their course fees reduced as a result of having to do everything online too, it seems only fair. "

They were never locked behind barricades.

The news reports at the time clearly stated that it was done as a way to know who was coming and going from the buildings, that it limited visitors and to ensure those isolating didnt leave when not supposed to.

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

Probably because we don't want another lockdown.

The South

What is the solution?

E

A factor without a doubt."

Agreed.

E

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

"Great, let's lockdown permanently then. Only the chosen few can hold down jobs, everyone else gets supported by the state as businesses go to the wall one after the other. It may work, but it is not a viable option for the vast majority of people. "

I presume this was said in sarcasm but to those supporting this and subsequent lockdowns this is the reality that’s coming. We’ve already reached the stage where the ‘cure’ is worse than the disease.

ribble valley

Tbf, I don't like to use the word "lockdown". Britain would not lockdown properly. All we've had are different restrictions. And some folk can't even stick to those. It seems to me, all the anti mask/vacc/lockdown people could help the country get back to normal much quicker if they'd put their brains into gear.

every single reply you are on about this future catastrophic bill... you would think it was coming itemised directly to your door

the reality is it will be getting paid for spread over decades and like the war debt you wont even notice until someone in the future reminds us by writing a news article about it to raise alarm that we’ve been paying for policies decided by tories 100 years ago

every single reply you are on about this future catastrophic bill... you would think it was coming itemised directly to your door

the reality is it will be getting paid for spread over decades and like the war debt you wont even notice until someone in the future reminds us by writing a news article about it to raise alarm that we’ve been paying for policies decided by tories 100 years ago "

If you don’t ‘even notice it’ then what is the problem?

"Great, let's lockdown permanently then. Only the chosen few can hold down jobs, everyone else gets supported by the state as businesses go to the wall one after the other. It may work, but it is not a viable option for the vast majority of people.

I presume this was said in sarcasm but to those supporting this and subsequent lockdowns this is the reality that’s coming. We’ve already reached the stage where the ‘cure’ is worse than the disease. "

What are you basing that on? Are you against all current restrictions?

the reality is it will be getting paid for spread over decades and like the war debt you wont even notice until someone in the future reminds us by writing a news article about it to raise alarm that we’ve been paying for policies decided by tories 100 years ago

If you don’t ‘even notice it’ then what is the problem? "

If you’re now unemployed or lost your business I think you might notice

I threw in the rolling eyes because it appears to be the done thing on here.

What is the solution?

E

I agree, lockdown are a ‘necessary evil’, they work

I presume neither of you have lost your job or business. So saying you’d be ok with doing so is a bit pointless."

i know quite a few who have, some found other work some haven’t yet , they might in the near future, it might be the distant future... its unknown

however what is known is if they had lost their life or their parents, they wouldn’t be getting a new one in any future

I threw in the rolling eyes because it appears to be the done thing on here."

I have every sympathy for people who have lost their job or their businesses, I have even more sympathy for those who have lost their lives or loved ones

If you don’t ‘even notice it’ then what is the problem? "

i dont have a problem... look around... in the current climate global economies are funded by debt... its all been “digital” or the speeding up of future funds for a long time (instead of needing to be backed up by gold/ cash) and in a way it kind of makes it just a number on a page.., it really doesn’t matter if its paid back in our lifetimes it will just perpetuate on and inflation will actually make the debt over time lower... that happened before covid and wouldn't have gone away had covid not happened

[Removed by poster at 30/11/20 18:24:41]

I threw in the rolling eyes because it appears to be the done thing on here."

if you are unemployed or list your business you aren’t paying tax or contributing to the countries debt bill so why would you notice its value ?

what you are noticing is your own personal financial situation ... exactly what all this extra debt had been taken on to try help ease

increase the countries debt... damned if you do

let the public flounder with no help ... damned if you don’t ... how exactly is it people suggest we avoid both?

Lancashire

"Great, let's lockdown permanently then. Only the chosen few can hold down jobs, everyone else gets supported by the state as businesses go to the wall one after the other. It may work, but it is not a viable option for the vast majority of people.

I presume this was said in sarcasm but to those supporting this and subsequent lockdowns this is the reality that’s coming. We’ve already reached the stage where the ‘cure’ is worse than the disease.

What are you basing that on? Are you against all current restrictions? "

Totally. The time has come to carry on as normal. The economy is screwed, unemployment set to go through the roof, education isn’t happening properly, mental health issues are out of control and conditions that can be treated are being forgotten about.

Totally. The time has come to carry on as normal. The economy is screwed, unemployment set to go through the roof, education isn’t happening properly, mental health issues are out of control and conditions that can be treated are being forgotten about."

How will that work? Do we stop treating people with serious COVID symptoms when the ICU beds are full?

Manchester (she/her)

Totally. The time has come to carry on as normal. The economy is screwed, unemployment set to go through the roof, education isn’t happening properly, mental health issues are out of control and conditions that can be treated are being forgotten about."

If letting a pandemic rip through, crippling our health service, and leaving an even larger preventable death and disability toll is "normal", then count me out.

Lancashire

Totally. The time has come to carry on as normal. The economy is screwed, unemployment set to go through the roof, education isn’t happening properly, mental health issues are out of control and conditions that can be treated are being forgotten about.

How will that work? Do we stop treating people with serious COVID symptoms when the ICU beds are full? "

Nightingales. If the NHS can’t cope then that’s a whole new discussion

By *yvanwy black wild childTV/TS  over a year ago

Northwich

———————————-

————————————-

That's why the government are now thinking off charging driver's 70p per mile to use you car?

Manchester (she/her)

How will that work? Do we stop treating people with serious COVID symptoms when the ICU beds are full?

Nightingales. If the NHS can’t cope then that’s a whole new discussion "

Where will the staff come from?

Lancashire

If letting a pandemic rip through, crippling our health service, and leaving an even larger preventable death and disability toll is "normal", then count me out."

Death is not and never will be preventable, like it or not it’ll come to all of us. You can sit at home and pretend it won’t all you want but I’d rather live my life. Mark my words, this will end up like the Poll Tax for this generation

Lancashire

Where will the staff come from?"

It’s the NHS’ job to look after us not vice versa. If it can’t then it’s not fit for purpose. A debate for another time

Manchester (she/her)

If letting a pandemic rip through, crippling our health service, and leaving an even larger preventable death and disability toll is "normal", then count me out.

Death is not and never will be preventable, like it or not it’ll come to all of us. You can sit at home and pretend it won’t all you want but I’d rather live my life. Mark my words, this will end up like the Poll Tax for this generation "

Death by any cause is not preventable, and you know I'm aware of this.

Death *and disability* by a novel disease is, at least in part.

I side with health and life over wealth, and not spreading my germs.

you know it and i know it.

after christmas and new year the figures will skyrocket.

so dont think things are improving boris cant wait to blame us all and to punish us even more.

Manchester (she/her)

"you know it and i know it.

after christmas and new year the figures will skyrocket.

so dont think things are improving boris cant wait to blame us all and to punish us even more."

Yup

"

It’s the NHS’ job to look after us not vice versa. If it can’t then it’s not fit for purpose. A debate for another time "

what a short sighted response

when shall we have the debate? when the nhs is overwhelmed and your family member is short of a bed? as long as your get out for your pint now though

the nhs is paid for by us for the benefit of us ... a bit like a building society for health if you wish ... its absolutely our responsibility to look after it

Nightingales. If the NHS can’t cope then that’s a whole new discussion "

They can’t cope, hence why we are where we are.

It’s the NHS’ job to look after us not vice versa. If it can’t then it’s not fit for purpose. A debate for another time "

The US don’t have a NHS and they are doing worse than the UK

Manchester (she/her)

"

It’s the NHS’ job to look after us not vice versa. If it can’t then it’s not fit for purpose. A debate for another time

when shall we have the debate? when the nhs is overwhelmed and your family member is short of a bed? as long as your get out for your pint now though

the nhs is paid for by us for the benefit of us ... a bit like a building society for health if you wish ... its absolutely our responsibility to look after it "

It reads to me like "run the NHS down for years, allow staff shortages, complain when things are worse than when they were better funded, then oh how convenient Bupa will take that on"

Lancashire

"

the nhs is paid for by us for the benefit of us ... a bit like a building society for health if you wish ... its absolutely our responsibility to look after it "

Excuse me but where have I mentioned my desire to have a drink? While we’re at it and you brought my family into this perhaps you can explain why it’s ok for my dad’s cataract operation to still be postponed from March to the point where he’s lost his driving license and is in real danger of going blind.

"

the nhs is paid for by us for the benefit of us ... a bit like a building society for health if you wish ... its absolutely our responsibility to look after it

Excuse me but where have I mentioned my desire to have a drink? While we’re at it and you brought my family into this perhaps you can explain why it’s ok for my dad’s cataract operation to still be postponed from March to the point where he’s lost his driving license and is in real danger of going blind. "

Of course that isn’t ok, why do you think it was postponed though? Maybe the government should step in and pay for him to have private treatment?

London

Death is not and never will be preventable, like it or not it’ll come to all of us. You can sit at home and pretend it won’t all you want but I’d rather live my life. Mark my words, this will end up like the Poll Tax for this generation "

"....but I’d rather live my life..."

-----------------------

Ah but some people will not be able to 'live a life' after they contract covid.

Some will have no life to live few weeks after contracting covid.

Some will recover, but face long term health issues (Long Covid). These people will also not be able to just 'live a life'. Not so if they are suffering from debilitating conditions due to the after effects of contracting covid. And this category includes young, fit & healthy people, not just the old and vulnerable.

So in as much as you want to 'live your life', maybe spare a thought for those who won't have a life to live if you end up passing the virus to them while you try to live your life.

Lancashire

"

Excuse me but where have I mentioned my desire to have a drink? While we’re at it and you brought my family into this perhaps you can explain why it’s ok for my dad’s cataract operation to still be postponed from March to the point where he’s lost his driving license and is in real danger of going blind.

Of course that isn’t ok, why do you think it was postponed though? Maybe the government should step in and pay for him to have private treatment? "

You don’t think we’ve tried to pay for it privately? These operations, and goodness knows what others just aren’t happening.

"

Excuse me but where have I mentioned my desire to have a drink? While we’re at it and you brought my family into this perhaps you can explain why it’s ok for my dad’s cataract operation to still be postponed from March to the point where he’s lost his driving license and is in real danger of going blind. "

its not ok for him to have missed out on that treatment... but its pretty poor logic to think adding extra pressure to the nhs will resolve his problem any quicker

Manchester (she/her)

"

I'm not ok with this either, and think it's yet another reason to bring the virus under control.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

Jeeeez. The penny never drops on here.

Use some critical thinking for a change folks. These lockdowns aren’t having any discernible effect on the spread. It’s getting proven now. This virus spreads like any cold virus or flu virus. It will behave as it will behave regardless of people’s behaviours.

As has been said this latest lockdown hasn’t been followed, so cases should be out of control according to what you keep being told. But, look... they aren’t. They’re plateauing and dropping.

If all measures were lifted I’d bet my house you’d see no great increase or decrease in numbers.

It’s getting so, so obvious now.

Manchester (she/her)

"Jeeeez. The penny never drops on here.

Use some critical thinking for a change folks. These lockdowns aren’t having any discernible effect on the spread. It’s getting proven now. This virus spreads like any cold virus or flu virus. It will behave as it will behave regardless of people’s behaviours.

As has been said this latest lockdown hasn’t been followed, so cases should be out of control according to what you keep being told. But, look... they aren’t. They’re plateauing and dropping.

If all measures were lifted I’d bet my house you’d see no great increase or decrease in numbers.

It’s getting so, so obvious now. "

What's your evidence for this?

I've been doing shopping for old people in my spare time and these lockdowns have really damaged them.

They miss people and some are frightened to even go for a walk with all the scaring on TV.

I have to knock on the door and talk to them by the window.

It's been dreadful for them.

"This virus spreads like any cold virus or flu virus. It will behave as it will behave regardless of people’s behaviours.

"

whats thats grammar term for 2 items side by side that entirely contradict each other oxymoron?

Manchester (she/her)

"This virus spreads like any cold virus or flu virus. It will behave as it will behave regardless of people’s behaviours.

whats thats grammar term for 2 items side by side that entirely contradict each other oxymoron? "

Yes the virus spreads via respiratory droplets but keeping people's breathing away from each other doesn't stop spread at all

What's your evidence for this?"

The evidence is there for all to see.

Manchester (she/her)

The evidence is there for all to see. "

Such as? Data?

What's your evidence for this?"

Government figures showed the cases were either flattening or falling prior to the lockdown.

Manchester (she/her)

Government figures showed the cases were either flattening or falling prior to the lockdown."

Yes, but that doesn't mean lockdown didn't work. It also doesn't mean that respiratory illnesses spread regardless of behaviour: that's absurd on its face

Government figures showed the cases were either flattening or falling prior to the lockdown.

Yes, but that doesn't mean lockdown didn't work. It also doesn't mean that respiratory illnesses spread regardless of behaviour: that's absurd on its face"

It does seem to show that the tier system was working and the second lockdown wasn’t needed.

Government figures showed the cases were either flattening or falling prior to the lockdown."

Exactly. The lockdown didn’t make any difference, they were already falling before.

Did Manchester get a higher level than Liverpool?.

Was this because Liverpool went along with the government and Burnham didn't?

Manchester (she/her)

Yes, but that doesn't mean lockdown didn't work. It also doesn't mean that respiratory illnesses spread regardless of behaviour: that's absurd on its face

It does seem to show that the tier system was working and the second lockdown wasn’t needed."

Perhaps. It doesn't show that lockdown doesn't work.

The idea that less chances for respiratory droplets to spread won't reduce the spread of a respiratory illness... Seems up there as counterfactual claims go.

London

The evidence is there for all to see. "

".....The evidence is there for all to see...."

--------------------------

Yes the evidence is there for all to see, that what you are saying is not true.

It does seem to show that the tier system was working and the second lockdown wasn’t needed."

Exactly. Someone gets it.

The evidence is there, it’s just down to how people choose to interpret it.

Manchester (she/her)

Ah. Goalpost shift. I see.

We've gone from "respiratory illness spread regardless of behaviour and lockdowns don't work" to "restrictions were already slowing the spread".

Nice try, but that's not what I asked for evidence for

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

At what rate were infections falling in the lead up to the second lockdown? And how does that compare to the rate they've fallen during the lockdown? Everything I've looked at shows that in the last three weeks or so since lockdown infection rates have dropped significantly, while in the the three weeks running up to it, they were broadly going up (with some small variations).

If you've got some other data that shows otherwise I'd be happy to see it.

London

It does seem to show that the tier system was working and the second lockdown wasn’t needed.

The evidence is there, it’s just down to how people choose to interpret it. "

Ah, so you now accept that the tier restrictions work, even though your previous post says the opposite.

Stop swapping air its as simple as that

Tin town

Ah, so you now accept that the tier restrictions work, even though your previous post says the opposite."

Errr isn't it a good thing infections and now hospital admissions have started to decrease. Well done everyone. Keep it up.

London

"....It does seem to show that the tier system was working and the second lockdown wasn’t needed...."

----------------------------

The tier system was working, but it was a slow process.

The national lockdown seems to have reduced the cases at a faster rate compared to the tier system.

Manchester (she/her)

Ah, so you now accept that the tier restrictions work, even though your previous post says the opposite.

Errr isn't it a good thing infections and now hospital admissions have started to decrease. Well done everyone. Keep it up. "

It is, but they're arguing lockdowns don't work, which is nonsense, and providing evidence not in support of their claim.

Lancashire

As with any major policy or approach 3 questions need to be explored.

1 is the current / proposed system proportionate?

2 Is this approach necessary?

3 What is the potential collateral damage?

Too many people are not asking any of these questions and are happy to live in fear...or even in a state of Stockholm Syndrome while their lives are changing unalterably around them. I’ll hang my hat on this, maybe you won’t for now but when lockdown 4,5,6 or however many eventually tips you over the edge perhaps you’ll remember this thread.

"As with any major policy or approach 3 questions need to be explored.

Too many people are not asking any of these questions and are happy to live in fear...or even in a state of Stockholm Syndrome while their lives are changing unalterably around them. I’ll hang my hat on this, maybe you won’t for now but when lockdown 4,5,6 or however many eventually tips you over the edge perhaps you’ll remember this thread. "

If anyone on here still thinks we have a proportionate reaction to this then they need their head examining.

The collateral damage doesn’t bear thinking about, but people choose to ignore this.

Many more people will die as a result than ever will of Covid.

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Too many people are not asking any of these questions and are happy to live in fear...or even in a state of Stockholm Syndrome while their lives are changing unalterably around them. I’ll hang my hat on this, maybe you won’t for now but when lockdown 4,5,6 or however many eventually tips you over the edge perhaps you’ll remember this thread. "

I think you're mixing up a willingness to make sacrifices to minimise loss of life with fear... just like you're likely mixing up concern for "freedom" and "rights" with selfishness.

Tin town

Errr isn't it a good thing infections and now hospital admissions have started to decrease. Well done everyone. Keep it up.

It is, but they're arguing lockdowns don't work, which is nonsense, and providing evidence not in support of their claim."

Isn't that a bit like.. "my dad's bigger than your dad"... Largely irrelevant.

I guess the main point is.. Can we find areas that have low enough infection rates to take them out of lockdown.

oh you mean when the repeated inconvenience to myself tips over passed how much i give a crap about others ... good job some of us made it past lockdown 1 then eh

also stockholm syndrome gave me a good laugh ... away to write a hit song with a depressy melody about being in love with my abuser

Too many people are not asking any of these questions and are happy to live in fear...or even in a state of Stockholm Syndrome while their lives are changing unalterably around them. I’ll hang my hat on this, maybe you won’t for now but when lockdown 4,5,6 or however many eventually tips you over the edge perhaps you’ll remember this thread.

I think you're mixing up a willingness to make sacrifices to minimise loss of life with fear... just like you're likely mixing up concern for "freedom" and "rights" with selfishness. "

oh you mean when the repeated inconvenience to myself tips over passed how much i give a crap about others ... good job some of us made it past lockdown 1 then eh

also stockholm syndrome gave me a good laugh ... away to write a hit song with a depressy melody about being in love with my abuser "

A form of Stockholm Syndrome has undoubtedly occurred. Any attempts to reason are futile.

God, help us.

"....It does seem to show that the tier system was working and the second lockdown wasn’t needed...."

The national lockdown seems to have reduced the cases at a faster rate compared to the tier system."

We’ll never know because they didn’t give the tiers long enough.

If I was a cynic I’d think that some thought it was needed to cover the fact their predicted scenario was way out.

It is, but they're arguing lockdowns don't work, which is nonsense, and providing evidence not in support of their claim."

Actually I’m not. I’m arguing that lockdown wasn’t needed this time round.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

"Tbf, I don't like to use the word "lockdown". Britain would not lockdown properly. All we've had are different restrictions. And some folk can't even stick to those. It seems to me, all the anti mask/vacc/lockdown people could help the country get back to normal much quicker if they'd put their brains into gear. "

Really ! I can see hundreds of patients a week but, in my free time should hermetically seal myself in my house.

ribble valley

"Tbf, I don't like to use the word "lockdown". Britain would not lockdown properly. All we've had are different restrictions. And some folk can't even stick to those. It seems to me, all the anti mask/vacc/lockdown people could help the country get back to normal much quicker if they'd put their brains into gear.

Really ! I can see hundreds of patients a week but, in my free time should hermetically seal myself in my house. "

Sorry, but did you mean to answer another thread?

Or is this gibberish?

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

"Tbf, I don't like to use the word "lockdown". Britain would not lockdown properly. All we've had are different restrictions. And some folk can't even stick to those. It seems to me, all the anti mask/vacc/lockdown people could help the country get back to normal much quicker if they'd put their brains into gear.

Really ! I can see hundreds of patients a week but, in my free time should hermetically seal myself in my house.

Sorry, but did you mean to answer another thread?

Or is this gibberish? "

Sadly no

also stockholm syndrome gave me a good laugh ... away to write a hit song with a depressy melody about being in love with my abuser

A form of Stockholm Syndrome has undoubtedly occurred. Any attempts to reason are futile.

God, help us. "

having some regard for the more vulnerable in society and doing what you can to protect them is not stockholm syndrome... its also not living in fear as some seem to suggest

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Manchester (she/her)

I think you're mixing up a willingness to make sacrifices to minimise loss of life with fear... just like you're likely mixing up concern for "freedom" and "rights" with selfishness. "

Well said.

in Lancashire

This..

We don't feel fear or shouldn't when we act in a socially responsible manner, the whole 'your scared and hiding behind the couch' cobbler's has only served to dilute any valid points made..

Tin town

I think you're mixing up a willingness to make sacrifices to minimise loss of life with fear... just like you're likely mixing up concern for "freedom" and "rights" with selfishness.

This..

We don't feel fear or shouldn't when we act in a socially responsible manner, the whole 'your scared and hiding behind the couch' cobbler's has only served to dilute any valid points made.."

Just a thought, if people are scared and hiding behind the couch. (my elderly mother being one such), that's not something to poke fun at. They need help and support. There are many people whom having been fed a diet of fear and hyperbole by the media (and sometimes by politicians) are having spirits crushed. Let's help them. Stronger together.

Manchester (she/her)

This..

We don't feel fear or shouldn't when we act in a socially responsible manner, the whole 'your scared and hiding behind the couch' cobbler's has only served to dilute any valid points made..

Just a thought, if people are scared and hiding behind the couch. (my elderly mother being one such), that's not something to poke fun at. They need help and support. There are many people whom having been fed a diet of fear and hyperbole by the media (and sometimes by politicians) are having spirits crushed. Let's help them. Stronger together. "

I'm not scared, but people seem to think that I am people like me am because I don't want to let it rip.

I think it's serious, I have a reasonable idea how to mitigate, and I'm doing what I can to function reasonably without undue risk to myself or others.

Which helps those who genuinely are terrified, I hope, be able to escape their home imprisonment sooner.

Tin town

This..

Just a thought, if people are scared and hiding behind the couch. (my elderly mother being one such), that's not something to poke fun at. They need help and support. There are many people whom having been fed a diet of fear and hyperbole by the media (and sometimes by politicians) are having spirits crushed. Let's help them. Stronger together.

I'm not scared, but people seem to think that I am people like me am because I don't want to let it rip.

I think it's serious, I have a reasonable idea how to mitigate, and I'm doing what I can to function reasonably without undue risk to myself or others.

Which helps those who genuinely are terrified, I hope, be able to escape their home imprisonment sooner."

Chapeau, And if there were more like you, or with that approach at the least, we would get through this better and quicker.

London

The national lockdown seems to have reduced the cases at a faster rate compared to the tier system.

We’ll never know because they didn’t give the tiers long enough.

If I was a cynic I’d think that some thought it was needed to cover the fact their predicted scenario was way out."

“...... If I was a cynic......”

—————————-

Yeh but you’re not a cynic

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Covid is here to stay, like the flu, like colds, and other viruses we have all the time. We need to learn to deal with it the same as anything else. We have never had lockdowns etc with any other viruses. Whilst I agree it's serious, we need to put things into perspective and still be able to live our lives with some sense of normality. (By the way, I am in no way comparing covid to flu or colds, they are being used as examples for viruses. )

By *he shaggersCouple  over a year ago

vancouver island

"They probably work short term then open up and round it goes , this will all stop when we as a country can’t pay for it any longer which with the debt the U.K. is in heading for £2.8 Trillion and with Tax rises needed of £45 Billion or cuts "

You think the virus will stop when the money runs out???

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

You think the virus will stop when the money runs out???"

I think they meant the lockdowns will stop, not the virus will stop.

Lockdown never worked.

Nor does the tier system.

The government has badly overexagerated everything and now has to slowly get out the hole it's in without the hole collapsing.

I.e you'll have lockdown til April.

They took their advice from prof neil Ferguson, the top expert in these matters.

He also has a track record of grossly over exaggerated mortality rates in epi and pandemics.

He also thought it so serious that he got his leg over with his married tart totally against his own advise.

"Saving lives" didnt matter to him.

This is the expert youre all wearing masks for.

He's also quite rightly arrogant enough to know that the idiots will do exactly what he says even tho he doesnt do it himself.

What a guy!

ribble valley

"Lockdown never worked.

The government has badly overexagerated everything and now has to slowly get out the hole it's in without the hole collapsing.

They took their advice from prof neil Ferguson, the top expert in these matters.

He also has a track record of grossly over exaggerated mortality rates in epi and pandemics.

He also thought it so serious that he got his leg over with his married tart totally against his own advise.

He's also quite rightly arrogant enough to know that the idiots will do exactly what he says even tho he doesnt do it himself.

What a guy!"

Clear evidence worldwide that lockdowns work. If you don't like them, it doesn't mean they don't work. Even the "anti,s" say tiers were working.

"Lockdown never worked.

"

Really? I await your scientific and statistical evidence proving what you 'know' is fact?.... But I won't be holding my breath

Tin town

"Lockdown never worked.

What a guy!"

Strong opening there fella. Trouble is it does nothing to build any credibility for the rest of your article. Even those against lockdown admit they reduce infections....albeit with serious consequences. A Good read though and admire your passion.

» Add a new message to this topic