FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > A great day for science

A great day for science

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Can we all take a minute to take in what today's news actually means. This is amazing. 1 year almost to the day since the first case was officially reported, there is a vaccine ready to go. Yes there will be people saying rushed etc but this is huge. They've worked on nothing else for this year. I think it is a huge success for science and thanks to everyone involved, there is now light at the end of this long dark tunnel

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Totally agree mate but sitting back waiting for all the negative comments to roll in.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Yes it is amazing today is Christmas day.

Of course being out of Europe has got us the vaccine quicker thank god for Brexit

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

For the people that will inevitably say its to control us, don't be ridiculous. Where is your evidence. For the people who say it rushed, I say there it has been through every stage nothing has been skipped. Its what happens when billions of pounds get thrown into something. There is too much at stake for this not to work

By *bridge manMan  over a year ago

lanarkshire

Have they said how long you will be immune for once you get your 2 doses required?. Or will it be a yearly jab similar to the flu jab...

By *aralewisCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

Well i heard it usually takes 10 years not 10 month for a new vaccine

So I’m in no rush to join cue

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

The scientific community has been working on the fundamentals of this for years, they knew it was coming so that's assisted them and ultimately us..

All we need to do now is get all politicians to actually listen to them in relation to such things do we are not caught asleep like we have been this year..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yes it is amazing today is Christmas day.

Of course being out of Europe has got us the vaccine quicker thank god for Brexit"

Pardon ?

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Its great and the mRNA application can be used for so many other things, not just coronavirus its a massive step forward with this technology

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Humanity can achieve remarkable things if we put our minds to it

Of course being out of Europe has got us the vaccine quicker thank god for Brexit

Pardon ? "

I think he's saying that being out of the EU has led to less bureaucracy and sped up the approval process, the EMA has not approved it yet, but I'm sure they're only a few days behind.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"Well i heard it usually takes 10 years not 10 month for a new vaccine

"

You "heard"? Where did you hear this precisely, which scientific journal?

My understanding is that after SARS a number of vaccine "templates", for want of a better word, we're developed in anticipation of an event like this. Therefore, the bare bones of the vaccine were already there, it won't needed and actual virus to complete the vaccine development.

This combined with all the research, resources and financing from the worldwide community to find a solution would have helped speed up the process more than considerably.

The opposite posture to what you "heard" is of course, "we have a wholly unique global pandemic that spreads exponentially, kills hundreds of thousands and permanently ruins the lives of thousands more, but no rush, let's take 10 years to develop a "fix"

The second scenario is fecund stupidity, yes?

E

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

Its great news ! and in a year that is some very hard work from the scientists, developers and especially those who took part in the testing process.

Let's be clear its a risk of one kind or another at the end of the day.

The decision is simple .. do you

a) Want to stay a prisoner in your own home and carry on like we are now for the foreseeable?

b) Want to give the vaccine a whirl and hopefully be able to get back to living a normal life again and run the risk of it causing problems.

fact is we don't live forever and I for one cant be a prisoner in my own home for very much longer. So its a no brainer for me .. take the vaccine and hopefully live a normal life. Or try to .

"

Where did you ‘hear’ this?

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"

The vaccine had already been proven, all they needed to do was slight adaption to fight the current virus, this is obvious when you realise that the first human trials were started a few weeks after the virus was sequenced so actually it took the best part of 30 years to develop and test the Pfizer one

The South

"

You're perfectly within your rights not to take it.

Travel operators are within their rights not to fly you anywhere.

Employers are within their rights not to give you a job.

Shops are within their rights not to serve you.

Family members who fall into high risk groups may not want to see you.

You're free will may have consequences.

E

By *uadzillaMan  over a year ago

Warwickshire

The vaccine had already been proven, all they needed to do was slight adaption to fight the current virus, this is obvious when you realise that the first human trials were started a few weeks after the virus was sequenced so actually it took the best part of 30 years to develop and test the Pfizer one"

Not sure where you've got you info from but I'm thinking you're thinking of the astrazeneca vaccine and not this one the AZ vaccine is old technology this up until December 2020, no mRNA vaccine, drug, or technology platform, had ever been approved for use in humans, and before 2020, mRNA was only considered a theoretical or experimental candidate for use in humans. However it's still ha FANTASTIC day for science and life moving forward

the wetlands

The vaccine had already been proven, all they needed to do was slight adaption to fight the current virus, this is obvious when you realise that the first human trials were started a few weeks after the virus was sequenced so actually it took the best part of 30 years to develop and test the Pfizer one

Not sure where you've got you info from but I'm thinking you're thinking of the astrazeneca vaccine and not this one the AZ vaccine is old technology this up until December 2020, no mRNA vaccine, drug, or technology platform, had ever been approved for use in humans, and before 2020, mRNA was only considered a theoretical or experimental candidate for use in humans. However it's still ha FANTASTIC day for science and life moving forward "

mRNA was first tested in rats in the early 90s and has been in development ever since. Ready to go as soon as the virus was sequenced.

It was a solution waiting for a problem and money to back it.

There will be many benefits in years to come with this tech now its been accepted.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It is a great day to celebrate science. Those who come out with the really tired phrases and tropes, the scare fearmongering, based on absolutely zero science or evidence, such as 'It takes 10 years...' etc, need to put their focus on reading, learning and celebrating science.

Of the many months of claptrap here in this section, the unfounded scare stories and tactics, often being the manipulated puppets of people and other states getting richer from you, leaving the festering ignorance to decay the country's wellbeing, they didn't have to do much! You can see how the dirty propaganda from other former atrocities managed to infest the people who become the willing agents of wars.

It's often better to shut up, if you have no scientific evidence.

Where did you ‘hear’ this? "

Bojo yesterday. 'telescoping 10 years into 10 months'

the wetlands

"Can we all take a minute to take in what today's news actually means. This is amazing. 1 year almost to the day since the first case was officially reported, there is a vaccine ready to go. Yes there will be people saying rushed etc but this is huge. They've worked on nothing else for this year. I think it is a huge success for science and thanks to everyone involved, there is now light at the end of this long dark tunnel

"

Actually I found it quite emotional watching the news tonight, the start of the rest of our lives and a day that should be of significant note in history.

Hell we should make the 2nd December a public holiday, a day of celebration of life, and of reflection for those that lost their lives to this bloody virus

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Great news vaccine is ready

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Have they said how long you will be immune for once you get your 2 doses required?. Or will it be a yearly jab similar to the flu jab... "

The official answer

They have not had the time to find out

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Pardon ?

I think he's saying that being out of the EU has led to less bureaucracy and sped up the approval process, the EMA has not approved it yet, but I'm sure they're only a few days behind."

It is of course just another Tory lie that Brexit had any positive effect on this. As reported widely:

"Britain’s medicines regulator has contradicted claims by health secretary Matt Hancock that the UK got the first coronavirus vaccine faster because of Brexit.

Speaking shortly after the announcement that the Pfizer/BioNTec jab had been cleared for use by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), Mr Hancock said that the authorisation process was faster than in the EU because Britain was no longer a member.

But asked if this was the case, MHRA chief executive June Raine said the process was undertaken under the terms of European law, which remains in force until the completion of the Brexit transition at the end of 2020.

The discrepancy emerged as Germany’s ambassador to the UK hit out at ministers’ claims that authorisation of the vaccine developed by a German company was a win for Britain.

“Why is it so difficult to recognise this important step forward as a great international effort and success?” tweeted Andreas Michaelis. “I really don't think this is a national story. In spite of the German company BioNTech having made a crucial contribution, this is European and transatlantic.”"

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just see humans as humans and celebrate good news without getting tribal about it.

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Wouldn't it be nice if we could just see humans as humans and celebrate good news without getting tribal about it. "

This xx

By *hic EventsWoman  over a year ago

Cambridge

I’ve had Covid so I’m good for antibodies for a few more months according to my Dr (who knows) I’m happy to sit back and wait!

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Can we all take a minute to take in what today's news actually means. This is amazing. 1 year almost to the day since the first case was officially reported, there is a vaccine ready to go. Yes there will be people saying rushed etc but this is huge. They've worked on nothing else for this year. I think it is a huge success for science and thanks to everyone involved, there is now light at the end of this long dark tunnel

Actually I found it quite emotional watching the news tonight, the start of the rest of our lives and a day that should be of significant note in history.

Hell we should make the 2nd December a public holiday, a day of celebration of life, and of reflection for those that lost their lives to this bloody virus

"

"

JVT was happy to admit he was emotional about it too.

By *argaret James200TV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

"It is a great day to celebrate science. Those who come out with the really tired phrases and tropes, the scare fearmongering, based on absolutely zero science or evidence, such as 'It takes 10 years...' etc, need to put their focus on reading, learning and celebrating science.

Of the many months of claptrap here in this section, the unfounded scare stories and tactics, often being the manipulated puppets of people and other states getting richer from you, leaving the festering ignorance to decay the country's wellbeing, they didn't have to do much! You can see how the dirty propaganda from other former atrocities managed to infest the people who become the willing agents of wars.

It's often better to shut up, if you have no scientific evidence. "

Correct and I point out some of the fastest and biggest leaps in medicine are made during global conflicts were many countries share their research rather than keep it secret for monetary

gain because they are a necessity, this is after all a global conflict just because it's against a virus does not make it any less a necessity or a huge break through, the knock on effect could be immense against other members of this virus family,

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

It’s a step in the right direction with a process that could work in other illness.... a wee light ahead in a long tunnel

By *atBottomGirlsWoman  over a year ago

St Austell-ish

Bojo yesterday. 'telescoping 10 years into 10 months' "

That great man of science!

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Pardon ?

I think he's saying that being out of the EU has led to less bureaucracy and sped up the approval process, the EMA has not approved it yet, but I'm sure they're only a few days behind.

It is of course just another Tory lie that Brexit had any positive effect on this. As reported widely:

"Britain’s medicines regulator has contradicted claims by health secretary Matt Hancock that the UK got the first coronavirus vaccine faster because of Brexit.

Speaking shortly after the announcement that the Pfizer/BioNTec jab had been cleared for use by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), Mr Hancock said that the authorisation process was faster than in the EU because Britain was no longer a member.

But asked if this was the case, MHRA chief executive June Raine said the process was undertaken under the terms of European law, which remains in force until the completion of the Brexit transition at the end of 2020.

The discrepancy emerged as Germany’s ambassador to the UK hit out at ministers’ claims that authorisation of the vaccine developed by a German company was a win for Britain.

“Why is it so difficult to recognise this important step forward as a great international effort and success?” tweeted Andreas Michaelis. “I really don't think this is a national story. In spite of the German company BioNTech having made a crucial contribution, this is European and transatlantic.”"

"

Except the EU authority responsible for licensing it isnt due to meet again for several weeks, were we still members we couldnt use it until they approved it. I wonder how many vulnerable lives will be lost due to the delay hopefully none. I bet you Boris haters would soon be up in arms if we were slower than the rest of the EU in releasing it.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Pardon ?

Except the EU authority responsible for licensing it isnt due to meet again for several weeks, were we still members we couldnt use it until they approved it. I wonder how many vulnerable lives will be lost due to the delay hopefully none. I bet you Boris haters would soon be up in arms if we were slower than the rest of the EU in releasing it."

Except the UK has managed to approve this vaccine under EU legislation, just as the other member states could have done.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Pardon ?

Except the EU authority responsible for licensing it isnt due to meet again for several weeks, were we still members we couldnt use it until they approved it. I wonder how many vulnerable lives will be lost due to the delay hopefully none. I bet you Boris haters would soon be up in arms if we were slower than the rest of the EU in releasing it.

Except the UK has managed to approve this vaccine under EU legislation, just as the other member states could have done. "

Not as I understand it, we have approved it under the eu legislation as we rolled it over with everything else when we left earlier in the year, we are no longer subject to the EU body that approves new treatments, once the ema has approved it the commission then has to give authority for its use in eu countries which then take the decision on whether to use it. We now arent under the ema, that is my take on it, if you know different perhaps let us know

The South

Bojo yesterday. 'telescoping 10 years into 10 months'

That great man of science! "

I can't find where Boris has claimed to be a great man of science.

Do you have a source?

Meanwhile, back to the topic, it's great news and should be celebrated.

E

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"

Apparently a large percentage of the work that's gone into this vaccine is pre-existing tech for similar vaccinations.

In addition this vaccine has most likely had far more impetus applied than anything in recent memory.

That's why it's managed to be ready for approval so quickly.

» Add a new message to this topic