FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > to vaccine or not

to vaccine or not

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *adame 2Swords OP   Woman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

i'm undecided so up for a CALM discussion. Pros and cons please

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No brainer for me. I'll be in the queue as soon as it is available to the general public. A great day for science. That has had big backing. I have not agreed with many of the restrictions that have been placed on us, but in an attempt to get things back to some sort of normality I have complied. The vaccine is the end game for this so I will be jumping af the opportunity

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I think if it’s going to turn people into zombies by the time it rolls round to my turn I will be fighting for my life anyway.

So if that doesn’t happen will give it a whirl.

Worried about potential long term side effects

By *uboCouple  over a year ago

East kilbride

There is no discussion. You don't want don't take. Quite simple.

Wonder if it would be different if someone was told, refuse it and you will go to end of queue or if you get covid you won't be treated by NHS ?

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"i'm undecided so up for a CALM discussion. Pros and cons please"

Personal decision forget "opinions"

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"No brainer for me. I'll be in the queue as soon as it is available to the general public. A great day for science. That has had big backing. I have not agreed with many of the restrictions that have been placed on us, but in an attempt to get things back to some sort of normality I have complied. The vaccine is the end game for this so I will be jumping af the opportunity "

Yes me too. Just listening to different professors on tv, who all agree the vaccine has been rigourously tested, with no issues. They still don't know how long immunity will last, but it's better than nothing and will take pressure off the nhs. On a slightly selfish note, by the time I get, it would have been given to thousands of people, so any problems will have shown up by then

If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on them

chelmsford

"If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on them"

Yes, I see what you're saying, but I doubt that will happen..

I'm really not sure as to whether or not to get it, undecided!

Victoria, London

please expand on this please

Victoria, London

I'm only asking so i can make my own mind up, but i'm willing to hear both sides of the argument

"I'm only asking so i can make my own mind up, but i'm willing to hear both sides of the argument"

About restrictions?

Victoria, London

I'm totally neutral, won't be bullied either way on my decision

Victoria, London

thank you finally a comment i can use

Victoria, London

lol as i can't be treated by a gp at the moment, makes no difference to me

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Personal opinion john.

Front of que when available. Reason protect my family and friends as with my job i can travel upto 250 miles a day and visit 50+ customers also so i can travel abroad for holidays as in my opinion most countries and airlines will only allow people to travel if they can prove they have had a vaccine. Plus there will still be antigen tests at airports for the forseable future.

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

"If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on them"

Why and what?

Victoria, London

i see your point, thank you

"If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on them

Why and what?"

With the comments above yours

I dont think you would be able to travel abroad and possibly not be able to go near vulnerable people

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

Good question and I’m very much in the same boat here. As a former odds compiler I’m struggling to see how a 95% successful vaccine for a disease with less than a 1% fatality rate makes any logical sense.

In time I can see being vaccinated becoming a necessity in order to live anything like a ‘normal’ life. As it stands I’ll be one of the last to be eligible so would expect any teething problems to be well ironed out before it’s my turn. The vaccine itself does not concern me, being forced to take it does.

chelmsford

"i see your point, thank you"

Can you use the quote button when you reply, we don't know who youre replying to

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I am over 60 & have heart trouble the vaccine is a lot safer than catching covid for me. for younger people covid is less lethal but by the time they are offered the jab it will have been tested on millions & any problems should have shown up

By *averockrockMan  over a year ago

swindon

We can't have it now anyway so someone will be the guinea pig. I would do it though!

Lots of people are saying wait and see, if every selfish person does that then no one will be vaccinated so we settle down to years of COVID, its a no brainer. Testing and approvals have been ramped up to such a degree it will be safe. It isnt good publicity or good for the bank balance to kill your customers, tends to bankrupt one

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"To vaccine, or not to vaccine: that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;

No more; and by a sleep to say we end

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks

That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause: there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long life;

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,

The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,

The insolence of office and the spurns

That patient merit of the unworthy takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,

But that the dread of something after death,

The undiscover'd country from whose bourn

No traveller returns, puzzles the will

And makes us rather bear those ills we have

Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;

And thus the native hue of resolution

Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,

And enterprises of great pith and moment

With this regard their currents turn awry,

And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!

The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons

Be all my sins remember'd!"

I look forward to being allowed into a pub and seeing people who wont have the vaccine being turned away, then its fair, dont want the vaccine fine, live in isolation! In France I believe it will be compulsory, quite right to, far too much wine to be d*unk and Coffee sipped to wait

Totally agree

If you are fighting for you life it will be too late for the vaccine to work. Thats the point

Victoria, London

So who's had covid?

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

I am not an expert and so wouldn't attempt to influence you but I have a friend who is an ICU consultant who gave me this advice.

He asked if I would drive my car every day without wearing a seat belt. Obviously my answer was no. His answer was that far more people die in car crashes because they ARE wearing there seat belt than die worldwide due to reactions to vaccines! When I said yes but this vaccine has been developed very quickly and may not have been tested as well as others he pointed out that these vaccines have all been tested on thousands of people without any serious side effects whereas other products that we use everyday ( cosmetics, sun tan lotion etc etc) may only be tested by 100 people before they are allowed to be sold. Tens of thousands of people die after allergic reactions to everyday products/food etc that we don't even think about before using. He admitted that no vaccine is risk free and there will be some people who have a reaction and possibly die as a result of having the vaccine but the risk is minute in comparison to not.

Stockport

"If you are fighting for you life it will be too late for the vaccine to work. Thats the point"

When you're up against the zombies a shotgun and a machete might be more useful than a syringe

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

I Steve would be happy to be the first to have it as i have worked all the way through this and cant meet with family or friends so now i see my life like Russian roulette anyway just waiting to catch it.

Zoe is the opposite as been at home since start and will refuse it for now and see if Steve falls off his perch first

By *rsPricklePantsWoman  over a year ago

Room 237 at The Overlook Hotel, Suffolk

Personally it's not something I need to think about as I would prefer to try and protect myself from covid or anything else for that matter living with any side effects than not have the vaccine and potentially risk dying from not having it but that's just me

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

There will allways be those who say not to but in time you will not be able to go clubs theatres etc and no flying to Spain for holidays.

We have controlling bodies that throught the world are respected thedy have a proven track record.

The anti vaxers are just very ignorant with no science in what they say

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Review the full trial research evidence of the ones that get approved. Take a Docs advice too. Most people will still have some time to wait.

Pro - you help to build herd immunity for the benefit of everyone

Con - a little sore after it

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"i'm undecided so up for a CALM discussion. Pros and cons please

I am not an expert and so wouldn't attempt to influence you but I have a friend who is an ICU consultant who gave me this advice.

He asked if I would drive my car every day without wearing a seat belt. Obviously my answer was no. His answer was that far more people die in car crashes because they ARE wearing there seat belt than die worldwide due to reactions to vaccines! When I said yes but this vaccine has been developed very quickly and may not have been tested as well as others he pointed out that these vaccines have all been tested on thousands of people without any serious side effects whereas other products that we use everyday ( cosmetics, sun tan lotion etc etc) may only be tested by 100 people before they are allowed to be sold. Tens of thousands of people die after allergic reactions to everyday products/food etc that we don't even think about before using. He admitted that no vaccine is risk free and there will be some people who have a reaction and possibly die as a result of having the vaccine but the risk is minute in comparison to not. "

Victoria, London

hence this thread, i want to know the arguments as i have kept well away so far. to me i put them in the same category as flat earthers

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Why does wearing a seatbelt make you more likely to die in a car crash ?

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

No. I wont take it, cos of the chances of the side effects as it havent been tested for a long period of time

By *kbloke_11Man  over a year ago

Hockley

Why?

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

"Why does wearing a seatbelt make you more likely to die in a car crash ?"

it does not but in a few rare accidents you might have been safer without the seatbelt & similarly if you are the 1 in a million to react badly to the jab you might be safer without

By *JCouple  over a year ago

Teesside

The never said that reread it.

They said in some accidents actually wearing the seat belt contributed to the person dying. Is this common not at all.

Is wearing a seat belt safer than not wearing one absolutely.

Regardless depending on the collision factors wearing a seltbelt in a small number of cases can go against you. That's what they were referring to.

KJ

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

Absolutely for it. And I’ve had covid and positive antibodies now for 6 months.

It’s not “rushed” it’s just had every bit of funding and every country thrown at it where usually it takes years of a handful of people.

It’s not a new vaccine, it’s an amended flu jab so didn’t need to be created from scratch which in turn reduces time and gives a better understanding of side effects.

Each to their own

xx

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

"Absolutely for it. And I’ve had covid and positive antibodies now for 6 months.

It’s not “rushed” it’s just had every bit of funding and every country thrown at it where usually it takes years of a handful of people.

It’s not a new vaccine, it’s an amended flu jab so didn’t need to be created from scratch which in turn reduces time and gives a better understanding of side effects.

Each to their own

xx"

And to be honest, if it was absolutely only my own risk- I probably wouldn’t have it. But we all know that’s not how covid works and I’d be putting other people at risk that would be more susceptible which isn’t okay for me

Stockport

It makes you less likely to die overall. But there will obviously be some few corner cases where because of freak circumstances the seatbelt might increase the injuries. Eg. Seatbelt getting stuck and preventing wearer getting out of a burning car. Accidental strangulation while having sex in car. Faulty belt tensioner causing chest to be crushed.

Mostly though the seatbelt will do its job of preventing the driver going through the windscreen or being impaled on the steering column...

By *a_journeyMan  over a year ago

WSM

Damn Volvo saving lives lol

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Nice discussion so far, i don't think anyone should feel bullied one way or the other. For me, whenever I'm offered it, I will have it. I can't imagine that will be anytime soon op so not something I need to spend much time thinking about for a year probably.

You're younger than me so unless you're an NHS front line or care home worker, it's unlikely to be coming your way anytime soon either.

We should all be mindful of what we put in our bodies... I wonder how many people look at their vitamins, supplements, foods, prescription medication in as much detail as this vaccine has generated. It's good to be aware and make informed decisions.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

The Oxford vaccine is essentially the ebola 'platform' altered to the specific genetic make up of this virus, it's got a track record in relation to any side effects..

Hence it's been a quicker process to get it to this point..

Will have it to protect elderly relatives and some vulnerable family and friends..

By *uadzillaMan  over a year ago

Warwickshire

Hi,

I have no reason to not take it when available to myself, I don't do all the bullshit about it's only taken a year etc or it's a bill gates special. For me it's had billions of dollars/pounds investing and finding a vaccine and it has had countless amounts of houses thrown at it too. My reason for taking it would be to protect my extremely vulnerable family. I'm guessing o won't need to make that decision until about April looking at the data of roll out.

"I'm only asking so i can make my own mind up, but i'm willing to hear both sides of the argument"

I'm yet to see an 'argument' to why anyone wouldn't take it

Leeds

"

I'm yet to see an 'argument' to why anyone wouldn't take it"

What is the take up rate on other vaccinations eg MMR, HPV, flu ? No where bear 100%. People have various reasons for choosing not to be innoculated.

Leeds

Near not bear

"If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on them

Yes, I see what you're saying, but I doubt that will happen.."

And nor should it happen. We don't live in a totalitarian state

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

My understanding of the vaccines is it’s not an immunity, like measles for example, but it’s more to try and help your body deal with it when you do catch it.... you won’t know it’s level until you do catch it and whether vaccine has been successful as I don’t think they plan on testing each person after their doses

So having the vaccine will reduce the effects you feel hoping your body has generated the necessary cells to fight it, but it doesn’t stop you catching it and the unknown as yet whether you can still pass it on.

I can understand why individuals would be cautious about having something that may give them a 70-95% chance of fighting it in their own body; along with all this talk of if you don’t have it you can’t do this, this or this when there are still so many unknowns to this virus and the possible vaccines and the help they could give.

That is my layman’s term of what I understand about them at the minute, correct me if I’m wrong.

My household is bottom of the list, so hoping for more clarity on it before I have to decide

chelmsford

"My understanding of the vaccines is it’s not an immunity, like measles for example, but it’s more to try and help your body deal with it when you do catch it.... you won’t know it’s level until you do catch it and whether vaccine has been successful as I don’t think they plan on testing each person after their doses

So having the vaccine will reduce the effects you feel hoping your body has generated the necessary cells to fight it, but it doesn’t stop you catching it and the unknown as yet whether you can still pass it on.

I can understand why individuals would be cautious about having something that may give them a 70-95% chance of fighting it in their own body; along with all this talk of if you don’t have it you can’t do this, this or this when there are still so many unknowns to this virus and the possible vaccines and the help they could give.

That is my layman’s term of what I understand about them at the minute, correct me if I’m wrong.

My household is bottom of the list, so hoping for more clarity on it before I have to decide "

That's pretty much my understanding , so we still have to follow all the rules, even after having the vaccination.

On a mooch

"My understanding of the vaccines is it’s not an immunity, like measles for example, but it’s more to try and help your body deal with it when you do catch it.... you won’t know it’s level until you do catch it and whether vaccine has been successful as I don’t think they plan on testing each person after their doses

My household is bottom of the list, so hoping for more clarity on it before I have to decide

That's pretty much my understanding , so we still have to follow all the rules, even after having the vaccination."

That’s how I understand it too, social distancing, masks etc will still be around for quite some time following the vaccine

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

My household is bottom of the list, so hoping for more clarity on it before I have to decide "

Yes thats right Spurs

The mRNA vaccine essentially preps your bodies T and memory cells into recognising coronavirus earlier than normal so it can mount a more efficient defence response.

The one approved today has already been tested on approx 20'000 people with no major side affects and no hospitalisations due to covid. Not saying it's 100% safe but the risk of getting ill due to the vaccination is incredibly low.

By *assage_MusicCouple  over a year ago

South East

"No brainer for me. I'll be in the queue as soon as it is available to the general public. A great day for science. That has had big backing. I have not agreed with many of the restrictions that have been placed on us, but in an attempt to get things back to some sort of normality I have complied. The vaccine is the end game for this so I will be jumping af the opportunity

Yes me too. Just listening to different professors on tv, who all agree the vaccine has been rigourously tested, with no issues. They still don't know how long immunity will last, but it's better than nothing and will take pressure off the nhs. On a slightly selfish note, by the time I get, it would have been given to thousands of people, so any problems will have shown up by then "

The real results may become evident in 10+years. Obviously too late for those who will suffer, but you'll be remembered as the Guinea pigs who helped propel medical science further by accepting a non-proven, despite the big claims to contrary, vaccine that will do very little to suppress infections, yet will do a great deal to subdue people into loyal subjects of the state.

Anyone refusing vac should be ashamed....if we all do this then we can get back to a normal life quicker

South East

Why?

If the vaccine works, those who have it will have nothing to fear from those who don't. You'll be protected, right? Why do you want to restrict my freedom?

Propaganda brainwashing has really gotten to you already, evidently...

My mum's 86 so should get it early. If she survives I'll give it a go

Why?

If the vaccine works, those who have it will have nothing to fear from those who don't. You'll be protected, right? Why do you want to restrict my freedom?

Propaganda brainwashing has really gotten to you already, evidently... "

Talking about travel restrictions and why should people do it for you when you wont do it for them?

chelmsford

"No brainer for me. I'll be in the queue as soon as it is available to the general public. A great day for science. That has had big backing. I have not agreed with many of the restrictions that have been placed on us, but in an attempt to get things back to some sort of normality I have complied. The vaccine is the end game for this so I will be jumping af the opportunity

Yes me too. Just listening to different professors on tv, who all agree the vaccine has been rigourously tested, with no issues. They still don't know how long immunity will last, but it's better than nothing and will take pressure off the nhs. On a slightly selfish note, by the time I get, it would have been given to thousands of people, so any problems will have shown up by then

The real results may become evident in 10+years. Obviously too late for those who will suffer, but you'll be remembered as the Guinea pigs who helped propel medical science further by accepting a non-proven, despite the big claims to contrary, vaccine that will do very little to suppress infections, yet will do a great deal to subdue people into loyal subjects of the state. "

Thank you for that, I'll still have it. Having listened to our nhs staff, on here and their experiences looking after very sick and dying patients, I really don't want to catch Covid, it sounds an awful and painful death.

I shall have it. And I'll be in the 2nd or 3rd band as a care worker(vaccine numbers will also dictate how soon).

I've been working with people with covid. The fear or catching it is first in my mind every day. Knowing my risk is less gives me peace of mind.

South East

"I look forward to being allowed into a pub and seeing people who wont have the vaccine being turned away, then its fair, dont want the vaccine fine, live in isolation! In France I believe it will be compulsory, quite right to, far too much wine to be d*unk and Coffee sipped to wait"
But why do you want people to be restricted when you'll have full protection by having taken the vaccine?

It doesn't make any sense at all! Unless, you simply enjoy causing misery to others. But that would be a whole different question that has nothing to do with vaccine and virus

And what if I have already had the virus, suffered with it, went through all oxygen masks and intubation, fatigued for months afterwards, fully recovered with anybodies and immunity that will last 100 years, yet a fat doorman stops me at the pub and asks for a shitty immunusation passport for a vaccine that noone knows the long term side effects, and besides the duration of the alleged immunity may last shorter than my pub visit.

Bloody world that is going to be!

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

We will jump at the chance to get it as soon as it's offered. It is as safe as any other vaccine and far safer than going without

By *priteyMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

"Anyone refusing vac should be ashamed....if we all do this then we can get back to a normal life quicker"

What a crazy thing to say,everyone has a personal choice

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I live my life, assuming I'm safe, based on the checks and balances that society puts into place. My chair won't collapse, my house won't fall down, my food won't kill me. These things are safety checked to ensure we don't have to worry.

So are vaccines. And the standard for vaccines to be deemed safe is higher than many other things, and is much safer than what it's trying to reduce or prevent. Even if you're low risk for Covid-19, the risk of a vaccine is lower.

Yes, vaccines have risks. I actually have personal experience with severe adverse reaction to a vaccination. To me it's about choosing the risk of the disease versus choosing the risk of the vaccine.

If any of these vaccines were as dangerous as Covid-19, people would have died. They have not.

Ultimately the study results will come out and be examined closely by those who know how to read them. The signs are definitely encouraging so far, and our regulatory agency thinks it's encouraging enough that it's willing to jump the gun (it will have looked at some data).

Vaccines prevent either serious illness or any illness.

They not only protect you, but they also protect those for whom the vaccine does not work or who can't be vaccinated through no fault of their own. But to do this, enough people need to be vaccinated to shield these vulnerable groups.

Given the UK and global disease burden, effective vaccination is one of the few tools we have to get our lives back.

On a mooch

Yes thats right Spurs

The mRNA vaccine essentially preps your bodies T and memory cells into recognising coronavirus earlier than normal so it can mount a more efficient defence response. "

Thanks

South East

He asked if I would drive my car every day without wearing a seat belt. Obviously my answer was no. His answer was that far more people die in car crashes because they ARE wearing there seat belt than die worldwide due to reactions to vaccines! When I said yes but this vaccine has been developed very quickly and may not have been tested as well as others he pointed out that these vaccines have all been tested on thousands of people without any serious side effects whereas other products that we use everyday ( cosmetics, sun tan lotion etc etc) may only be tested by 100 people before they are allowed to be sold. Tens of thousands of people die after allergic reactions to everyday products/food etc that we don't even think about before using. He admitted that no vaccine is risk free and there will be some people who have a reaction and possibly die as a result of having the vaccine but the risk is minute in comparison to not. "

This is all very well explained by a physician. Add to it that accepting the vaccine or not should be a free choice for everyone and no restrictions will be placed on those who don't elect to have the vaccine, and we have a perfectly well functioning society.

"I look forward to being allowed into a pub and seeing people who wont have the vaccine being turned away, then its fair, dont want the vaccine fine, live in isolation! In France I believe it will be compulsory, quite right to, far too much wine to be d*unk and Coffee sipped to wait But why do you want people to be restricted when you'll have full protection by having taken the vaccine?

It doesn't make any sense at all! Unless, you simply enjoy causing misery to others. But that would be a whole different question that has nothing to do with vaccine and virus

And what if I have already had the virus, suffered with it, went through all oxygen masks and intubation, fatigued for months afterwards, fully recovered with anybodies and immunity that will last 100 years, yet a fat doorman stops me at the pub and asks for a shitty immunusation passport for a vaccine that noone knows the long term side effects, and besides the duration of the alleged immunity may last shorter than my pub visit.

Bloody world that is going to be! "

Wow....a FAT doorman stops you? Wow why bring someone's body into your post? People are all shapes and sizes thank god and ill thank him for keeping you out of the bars

Warwick

Good question and I’m very much in the same boat here. As a former odds compiler I’m struggling to see how a 95% successful vaccine for a disease with less than a 1% fatality rate makes any logical sense.

In time I can see being vaccinated becoming a necessity in order to live anything like a ‘normal’ life. As it stands I’ll be one of the last to be eligible so would expect any teething problems to be well ironed out before it’s my turn. The vaccine itself does not concern me, being forced to take it does."

It's not as straightforward as that though. First thing to say is that if you now have a 1% chance of dying if you get cover, your chances are vastly reduced of dying even if you are in the 5% that the vaccine doesn't protect completely as the symptoms are likely to be reduced significantly.

Secondly if you and those you come into contact with most have the vaccine you all protect each other so that your chances of coming into contact with the virus at all are reduced.

Thirdly and probably the most importantly based on personal experience having suffered from covid back in March - it's not just the 1% who die. I am still suffering from the after effects of the virus now, you really don't want to get this virus. Things are getting better but I'm not sure if they will return to how they were before.

South East

The real results may become evident in 10+years. Obviously too late for those who will suffer, but you'll be remembered as the Guinea pigs who helped propel medical science further by accepting a non-proven, despite the big claims to contrary, vaccine that will do very little to suppress infections, yet will do a great deal to subdue people into loyal subjects of the state.

Thank you for that, I'll still have it. Having listened to our nhs staff, on here and their experiences looking after very sick and dying patients, I really don't want to catch Covid, it sounds an awful and painful death."

It is. A number of my friends are doctors and nurses. I've heard it directly from them, as if I've been there by the bedside of gasping for air dying patients, some of them very young.

The virus is real and the danger is grave.

Yet, a rushed vaccine (whatever they tell you about rigorous testing) should never be made compulsory. Any vaccine for that matter, should ever be compulsory.

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I live my life, assuming I'm safe, based on the checks and balances that society puts into place. My chair won't collapse, my house won't fall down, my food won't kill me. These things are safety checked to ensure we don't have to worry.

So are vaccines. And the standard for vaccines to be deemed safe is higher than many other things, and is much safer than what it's trying to reduce or prevent. Even if you're low risk for Covid-19, the risk of a vaccine is lower.

Yes, vaccines have risks. I actually have personal experience with severe adverse reaction to a vaccination. To me it's about choosing the risk of the disease versus choosing the risk of the vaccine.

If any of these vaccines were as dangerous as Covid-19, people would have died. They have not.

Ultimately the study results will come out and be examined closely by those who know how to read them. The signs are definitely encouraging so far, and our regulatory agency thinks it's encouraging enough that it's willing to jump the gun (it will have looked at some data).

Vaccines prevent either serious illness or any illness.

They not only protect you, but they also protect those for whom the vaccine does not work or who can't be vaccinated through no fault of their own. But to do this, enough people need to be vaccinated to shield these vulnerable groups.

Given the UK and global disease burden, effective vaccination is one of the few tools we have to get our lives back."

This 100%

By *ornybobBuilderMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

100%i would

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

restrictions, like what.... You can't leave the house. The government have said taking the vaccine won't be compulsory. Everyone has a choice

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

"Anyone refusing vac should be ashamed....if we all do this then we can get back to a normal life quicker"

I'm waiting and watching. I'm not ashamed, I've worked all through this as a nurse. If they tell me I cant work, so be it.

South East

"If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on themrestrictions, like what.... You can't leave the house. The government have said taking the vaccine won't be compulsory. Everyone has a choice "

But there are indeed talks that people may be prevented from certain access and freedoms, hence immunisation passports are on the offing.

Warwick

"Anyone refusing vac should be ashamed....if we all do this then we can get back to a normal life quicker

I'm waiting and watching. I'm not ashamed, I've worked all through this as a nurse. If they tell me I cant work, so be it.

"

You won't have long to wait some our friends working in the NHS are expecting to have their vaccination tomorrow!

South East

"Anyone refusing vac should be ashamed....if we all do this then we can get back to a normal life quicker

"

Wise words from someone with the most benevolent, yet underpaid job!

Hats off to you for your service and for your wisdom!

chelmsford

Thank you for that, I'll still have it. Having listened to our nhs staff, on here and their experiences looking after very sick and dying patients, I really don't want to catch Covid, it sounds an awful and painful death.

It is. A number of my friends are doctors and nurses. I've heard it directly from them, as if I've been there by the bedside of gasping for air dying patients, some of them very young.

The virus is real and the danger is grave.

Yet, a rushed vaccine (whatever they tell you about rigorous testing) should never be made compulsory. Any vaccine for that matter, should ever be compulsory. "

Oh I agree it shouldn't be compulsory. What is the opinion of your nhs friends, as a matter of interest, do they think it is advisable that we have it, because it would certainly take the pressure off them.

Why?

Oh dear. You're embarrassing yourself with your ignorance. You clearly have no understanding of how vaccines work or even the process of testing and producing them. The irony of your brainwashing quote.

"

What is the take up rate on other vaccinations eg MMR, HPV, flu ? No where bear 100%. People have various reasons for choosing not to be innoculated. "

Still not seen any plausible arguments. People can have whatever reason they like, doesn't make it persuasive.

chelmsford

"

What is the take up rate on other vaccinations eg MMR, HPV, flu ? No where bear 100%. People have various reasons for choosing not to be innoculated.

Still not seen any plausible arguments. People can have whatever reason they like, doesn't make it persuasive. "

Same here

the wetlands

"If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on themrestrictions, like what.... You can't leave the house. The government have said taking the vaccine won't be compulsory. Everyone has a choice

But there are indeed talks that people may be prevented from certain access and freedoms, hence immunisation passports are on the offing. "

And rightly so, until the danger of the pandemic has passed.

It means your not going to be forced to have the vaccine so you have a choice.

By *ertie2020Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

"So who's had covid?"

I had covid back in March and still had symptoms for 3 months. My son had covid last month and was very poorly for 3 weeks. My butcher's father died from covid pneumonia 2 weeks ago and my neice has had it where she couldn't walk and hold things for some time. I will definitely have the vaccine. The more people who take up the vaccine the sooner we can end the restrictions.

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

"If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on themrestrictions, like what.... You can't leave the house. The government have said taking the vaccine won't be compulsory. Everyone has a choice

But there are indeed talks that people may be prevented from certain access and freedoms, hence immunisation passports are on the offing. "

This is nothing new if you don’t have seroconversion for Hep -B in Dentistry then you are unable to work until you have a booster and seroconvert.

By *aughty k1ttenTV/TS  over a year ago

Coventry

so some will take it and some will not, but how will we know who has not taken it, so we can distance from those people?

By *ensual massagerMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Like what?

Bolton

Why and what?

With the comments above yours

I dont think you would be able to travel abroad and possibly not be able to go near vulnerable people"

Isn't that an opinion?

the wetlands

"If you don't want to take it thats your decision but I also think people who don't take it should still have restrictions placed on them so some will take it and some will not, but how will we know who has not taken it, so we can distance from those people? "

If you have had the vaccine and developed anti bodies then you don't need to avoid them, they need to avoid you, in fact they would need to continue to social distance or shield as necessary possibly for the rest of their life but it's their choice.

"There is no discussion. You don't want don't take. Quite simple.

Wonder if it would be different if someone was told, refuse it and you will go to end of queue or if you get covid you won't be treated by NHS ? "

It’s against human rights

Bolton

Why?

Absolutely

I really don't see how there can be an 'argument' when it comes to a vaccine.

The only reason vaccines take so long to develop in normal times is because of funding applications, far smaller numbers of willing volunteers for testing, bureaucracy, resubmission of funding applications etc. All those who work within medicinal science have said that all COVID vaccines have been/will be tested to the usual rigourous standards.

They've gotten approval quicker because it is necessary to do so, not because they're taking shortcuts.

That's really all that needs to be said on a vaccine. If anyone isn't willing to take it because they cite their 'oWn ReAsEaRcH' (typically sources collected from heavily bias YouTube videos or tinfoil hat bloggers claiming to 'expose corruption') then they're not very bright.

the wetlands

Wonder if it would be different if someone was told, refuse it and you will go to end of queue or if you get covid you won't be treated by NHS ?

It’s against human rights"

Try telling that to people who smoke, drink excessively or are overweight and refused treatment

It's reality ...

It seems to be the people who have been breaking the rules all the time and complaining about restrictions, who now say they won't take the vaccine.

I'm at the back of the queue but if they offered it to me tomorrow I'd take it.

Bolton

"I look forward to being allowed into a pub and seeing people who wont have the vaccine being turned away, then its fair, dont want the vaccine fine, live in isolation! In France I believe it will be compulsory, quite right to, far too much wine to be d*unk and Coffee sipped to wait But why do you want people to be restricted when you'll have full protection by having taken the vaccine?

Bloody world that is going to be! "

Very well said plus I think there'll be a flourishing trade in copy Vaccination Certificates

Warwick

"So who's had covid?

I had covid back in March and still had symptoms for 3 months. My son had covid last month and was very poorly for 3 weeks. My butcher's father died from covid pneumonia 2 weeks ago and my neice has had it where she couldn't walk and hold things for some time. I will definitely have the vaccine. The more people who take up the vaccine the sooner we can end the restrictions. "

I had it back in March. I am still suffering considerably 8 months later. Knowing what I know I would advise everyone who can have the vaccine to get it as soon as they can, you are not only protecting yourself but those around you. And don't think I'm fit and healthy it won't affect me. A week before I caught the virus I had ridden 80 miles on my bike, one of the teachers at my Grandson's school, a fit 24 year old semi professional footballer died after contracting covid in June, and 40% of the patients in intensive care out our local hospital are under 50.

Warwick

A lot of those who say they are not going to be vaccinated will soon change their minds when they want to go on holiday and realise that they can't get holiday insurance. Even with a high vaccine take up covid is going to be around in high numbers for at least a couple of years. Insurance companies will have no choice but to require covid vaccination ( just as they do other vaccinations now) or the costs could be enormous.

Bolton

It’s against human rights

Try telling that to people who smoke, drink excessively or are overweight and refused treatment

It's reality ..."

To be fair, that is a completely different argument

Smoking is a choice, may be addicted but still a choice

Drink is a choice, again may be addicted and becomes a medical problem whether some class it as a disease or illness

Overweight may not necessarily be a choice. It could be a medical problem, disease or illness or some phycological reasons. Not necessarily a choice.

Why should any of the above be refused NHS treatment and let's say that they were. Don't they have the right NOT to pay into the National Insurance system?

Bolton

"A lot of those who say they are not going to be vaccinated will soon change their minds when they want to go on holiday and realise that they can't get holiday insurance. Even with a high vaccine take up covid is going to be around in high numbers for at least a couple of years. Insurance companies will have no choice but to require covid vaccination ( just as they do other vaccinations now) or the costs could be enormous. "

Ah, so is this fact or assuming? Afaik, the op said not opinions.

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

"

What is the take up rate on other vaccinations eg MMR, HPV, flu ? No where bear 100%. People have various reasons for choosing not to be innoculated. "

You have a great point there , how many people who are pro Covid vaccine are anti Flu vaccine ?

I John have the Flu vaccine where as Jill doesn't , If I choose to take the Covid vaccine that will be my choice I will not be forced to have just so to give me a social passport .

To many hypocrites have surfaced since the beginning of this pandemic.

By *adbod74Man  over a year ago

Dudley

I will 100% be having mine, I get my flu jab every year too, I've not had so much as a cold in 10 years, I'd rather have some for of vaccine than take a risk.

Victoria, London

Well done for all your views, I'll have a quiet read of them in a bit.

My next question - IF i decided to meet someone, do I accept their word that they've had the vaccine.

Only ask, because they all say they are single, till they have to be home for dinner!!!!

Swansea

Our youngest just threw up the " its my human rights not to have the vaccine and they cant make me have it" we agreed but pointed out what will he do when he can't go to watch football or a gig or travel abroad. Again he threw up the same reply" human rights" but as we told him it is the company, person or venue's right to refuse entry to anyone the deem "unacepable" like when he was banned from pubs for fighting or being too d*unk as we said try telling a doorman "its my human rights! you have to let me in " don t think so

Just get the vaccine and get on with it

the wetlands

It's really not helpful to start throwing toys out of the pram about people not wanting the vaccine.

Reality is they are scared.

Shaming is ridiculous, and I'll admit while I'm 100% behind the vaccine that I am a little anxious that there might just be some long term side effects.

I have worked in medical labs for 30 years, I have a better understanding than most of the principals of the vaccine and how the trials have been conducted but I don't claim to be an expert

I can fully understand why people are apprehensive to the point they say they wont have the vaccine, we have to accept their decision and let them watch and learn and in months or even years to come they will hopefully see that it's safe and eventually get themselves vaccinated.

Of course there are some people that can't have the vaccine and see these antivax people as the enemy just waiting to infect them and kill them

Once we get over half the population vaccinated we should see a rapid decline in infections and although Covid will continue to be a deadly disease we will hopefully be able to manage it.

It's bloody ridiculous to use stupid lies and scaremongering to hide your fear of vaccines, just don't get it and forget it, deal with any restrictions for a while and make your decision based on what happens in the next year not what happened 10,20 or 100 years ago because it's really not relevant.

By *razyhappyguys04Couple  over a year ago

London.

Why should someone who chooses not to have the vaccine be turned away from pubs bars gyms and the hospital, ?

Wonder if it would be different if someone was told, refuse it and you will go to end of queue or if you get covid you won't be treated by NHS ? "

Doubt it because most of those who will refuse it are probably doing it on moral or risk adverse grounds and have probably spent more time knowing why they won't than the majority who won't have thought much beyond the idea that if they get it the quicker they can start meeting up again. I know this isn't the case for all but reading between the lines can often reveal the drive behind many of the comments especially the constant repetitive shammers.

Swansea

Sorry not hospital hospitality

It is a possibilty being discussed by larger venues and airlines. Spain already insists on negative covid test and will prob move to proof of vaccination once majority rolled out

[Removed by poster at 02/12/20 21:05:44]

"Well done for all your views, I'll have a quiet read of them in a bit.

My next question - IF i decided to meet someone, do I accept their word that they've had the vaccine.

Only ask, because they all say they are single, till they have to be home for dinner!!!!

"

Im sure it will be on an app on there phone....Next to wife's phone number lol

After reading through a post yesterday I had this thought. I wonder if there will be posts in 20 yrs time by some who chose not to take it, or worse from some who did because they were shamed into and some long term serious side effects have resulted. What if in a year's time some side effects have developed from certain vaccines?

I hope they are more gracious than many who keep posting to shame people into taking it.

By *ugRollersCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

What I would like to know is .... why are we the first country to approve this .... when it’s developed in the US. Surely when they are competitive and want to be first in everything they would be the guinea pigs? Why are the U.K. the first to get this. It will be interesting to see how they roll out the logistics of this. Apparently it starts next week ... say I got vaccinated next week ... 3 weeks later is Xmas week... I wonder how many people don’t bother going for dose 2 because they are d*unk and eating their Xmas dinner I reckon there’s gonna be a lot of wasteage because they have to be stored and used pretty quickly

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As I am in the 2nd tranche of the vaccinations I am anxiously waiting for my letter, bring it on.

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

Well the nhs are setting up centres to deal with all the side effects from the vaccine and work out what to do with NHs staff that can’t work because of side effects........ Mrs works for the NHs

"Well the nhs are setting up centres to deal with all the side effects from the vaccine and work out what to do with NHs staff that can’t work because of side effects........ Mrs works for the NHs "

What is your source for this information?

I do take the flu jab usually every year but Im not so keen on a covid one. Seems almost a waste to give it to everyone, including all those unlikely to ever be ill, and I know it's all to do with protecting the vulnerable, herd immunity stuff but could the vaccine become a little something like what the pnuemonia jab is, given to those over a certain age and vulnerable for pnuemonia and they get their protection that way. So I think Im saying it would be a waste to give it to me and less at risk others? Dunno.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Now this is hard are we going to be able to pick witch vaccine we get?

If it's the Pfizer 1 I'd rather not.

But the AstraZeneca vaccine I'd be happy about.

I'll have the vaccine without a doubt.

Okay, so it's new and untried on the masses but if the first steps aren't taken then how will the world know if it works or not?

Mind you, I'm ex Armed Forces and had lots of different stuff either injected or taken as tablets to combat all sorts of odd and strange illnesses! We weren't told if any side effects were known. Just roll up the sleeve and take it Or swallow the tablets anyway!

If there's to be any kind of vaccinated person "passport" surely that isn't a bad thing? I'd be more than happy to get one, especially if needed to get into a sports venue, pub, theatre, cinema etc.

Think about it a minute. If there is a large venue like a football stadium or other sporting arena or travel centre such as a railway station, surely it makes sense to have a crowd of vaccinated people and ensure, theoretically, no spread of coronavirus amongst thousands of people. I know it would not be a 100% certainty but the odds against spreading the virus would be seriously reduced.

When all is said and done, let's congratulate and thank all the scientists involved in developing all the new vaccines to combat the dreadful virus. Well done and thank you.

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

Has anyone else thought that they are vaccinating the over 80's first to cull them ?

Edinburgh

"Well the nhs are setting up centres to deal with all the side effects from the vaccine and work out what to do with NHs staff that can’t work because of side effects........ Mrs works for the NHs

What is your source for this information?"

Didn't you see? Mrs works for the NHS... so no doubt has some strategic oversight of the vaccination strategy. Either that or it's just typical hearsay and spurious bollocks...

"Now this is hard are we going to be able to pick witch vaccine we get?

If it's the Pfizer 1 I'd rather not.

But the AstraZeneca vaccine I'd be happy about. "

Yeah, I'll wait for the Oxford one to be approved.

warwick

"Well the nhs are setting up centres to deal with all the side effects from the vaccine and work out what to do with NHs staff that can’t work because of side effects........ Mrs works for the NHs

What is your source for this information?"

My source is Mrs B ...... she’s an NHs workforce manager, it’s what she’s been working on today ..... not making it up

the wetlands

"Well the nhs are setting up centres to deal with all the side effects from the vaccine and work out what to do with NHs staff that can’t work because of side effects........ Mrs works for the NHs "

I wouldn't be at all surprised, they have already published a list of known side effects, haven't you read them ?

Headaches, fever etc they could end up with some staff having to go home after the vaccine so they make plans ?

No big conspiracy there then

Manchester (she/her)

"I do take the flu jab usually every year but Im not so keen on a covid one. Seems almost a waste to give it to everyone, including all those unlikely to ever be ill, and I know it's all to do with protecting the vulnerable, herd immunity stuff but could the vaccine become a little something like what the pnuemonia jab is, given to those over a certain age and vulnerable for pnuemonia and they get their protection that way. So I think Im saying it would be a waste to give it to me and less at risk others? Dunno. "

I see what you're saying, I think. But I think the answer is, those who are vaccinated who it doesn't protect. If Doris, 95 with heart problems (a fictional character to illustrate) gets the shot and doesn't get a protective immune response, then when the younger people are vaccinated, they're less likely to transmit to her, even though we need it less. That's what herd immunity is. I might be fine. I'm happy to wait because it's likely I'd be fine. But I'll get the jab so I can protect the Dorises out there.

Didn't you see? Mrs works for the NHS... so no doubt has some strategic oversight of the vaccination strategy. Either that or it's just typical hearsay and spurious bollocks..."

My Daughter in law is a senior manager at a hospital in Kent and she is unaware of such a scheme.

I'd like to read your source if you'd like to disclose it. I've a few family members who work in the NHS at various levels and quite a few doctor friends. Never heard this.

warwick

Didn't you see? Mrs works for the NHS... so no doubt has some strategic oversight of the vaccination strategy. Either that or it's just typical hearsay and spurious bollocks...

My Daughter in law is a senior manager at a hospital in Kent and she is unaware of such a scheme."

Well this is Oxfordshire

"I do take the flu jab usually every year but Im not so keen on a covid one. Seems almost a waste to give it to everyone, including all those unlikely to ever be ill, and I know it's all to do with protecting the vulnerable, herd immunity stuff but could the vaccine become a little something like what the pnuemonia jab is, given to those over a certain age and vulnerable for pnuemonia and they get their protection that way. So I think Im saying it would be a waste to give it to me and less at risk others? Dunno.

I see what you're saying, I think. But I think the answer is, those who are vaccinated who it doesn't protect. If Doris, 95 with heart problems (a fictional character to illustrate) gets the shot and doesn't get a protective immune response, then when the younger people are vaccinated, they're less likely to transmit to her, even though we need it less. That's what herd immunity is. I might be fine. I'm happy to wait because it's likely I'd be fine. But I'll get the jab so I can protect the Dorises out there."

I agree with your reasoning but is there clear proof that if you are vaccinated you cannot pass it on? This was asked a couple days ago on the news and the answer all round was we don't know yet, unless they have revised this.

Hi

We won’t be taking it as we have already had corona this year February and our immune systems dealt with it.

A vaccine does not stop you catching the virus, it entrains your own immune system to recognise and fight it. From our view there is no evidence to suggest that a vaccine will do anything more than our own immune system has already done.

However completely understand that if our immune system was compromised and we were in the vulnerable group then we would absolutely have a different view. This is why it is such an individual and polarised choice.

There’s loads of information about vaccines and the vaccine companies themselves produce info too, just do due diligence and read their small print... reliability, validity, population the tests were trialled on, were they all young fit and healthy or was the vulnerable and the elderly tested too etc... the more you know outside of opinions the easier it will be to make your decision.

Manchester (she/her)

"I do take the flu jab usually every year but Im not so keen on a covid one. Seems almost a waste to give it to everyone, including all those unlikely to ever be ill, and I know it's all to do with protecting the vulnerable, herd immunity stuff but could the vaccine become a little something like what the pnuemonia jab is, given to those over a certain age and vulnerable for pnuemonia and they get their protection that way. So I think Im saying it would be a waste to give it to me and less at risk others? Dunno.

I see what you're saying, I think. But I think the answer is, those who are vaccinated who it doesn't protect. If Doris, 95 with heart problems (a fictional character to illustrate) gets the shot and doesn't get a protective immune response, then when the younger people are vaccinated, they're less likely to transmit to her, even though we need it less. That's what herd immunity is. I might be fine. I'm happy to wait because it's likely I'd be fine. But I'll get the jab so I can protect the Dorises out there.

I agree with your reasoning but is there clear proof that if you are vaccinated you cannot pass it on? This was asked a couple days ago on the news and the answer all round was we don't know yet, unless they have revised this."

We don't know as far as I know, but it's the rationale for many vaccines. Plus I want it when it's my turn.

If enough are vaccinated Covid will become a non problem, whether through reduced disease or failure to transmit.

Edinburgh

"Hi

We won’t be taking it as we have already had corona this year February and our immune systems dealt with it.

A vaccine does not stop you catching the virus, it entrains your own immune system to recognise and fight it. From our view there is no evidence to suggest that a vaccine will do anything more than our own immune system has already done.

However completely understand that if our immune system was compromised and we were in the vulnerable group then we would absolutely have a different view. This is why it is such an individual and polarised choice.

There’s loads of information about vaccines and the vaccine companies themselves produce info too, just do due diligence and read their small print... reliability, validity, population the tests were trialled on, were they all young fit and healthy or was the vulnerable and the elderly tested too etc... the more you know outside of opinions the easier it will be to make your decision.

"

Out of curiosity, what if you require vaccine certification to travel or go to big concerts etc.?

I see what you're saying, I think. But I think the answer is, those who are vaccinated who it doesn't protect. If Doris, 95 with heart problems (a fictional character to illustrate) gets the shot and doesn't get a protective immune response, then when the younger people are vaccinated, they're less likely to transmit to her, even though we need it less. That's what herd immunity is. I might be fine. I'm happy to wait because it's likely I'd be fine. But I'll get the jab so I can protect the Dorises out there."

Poor Doris yes, assuming I and others get the correct immune response from it too. It's all stacking cards of uncertainty isnt it.

Manchester (she/her)

Poor Doris yes, assuming I and others get the correct immune response from it too. It's all stacking cards of uncertainty isnt it. "

Yes, but it's the same with every vaccine. We don't worry about measles encephalitis, generally, even though not everyone can be vaccinated against measles and it isn't 100% effective (and measles is up to 10x more contagious than Covid). Enough of us are vaccinated that measles usually doesn't spread, so we don't have to worry about nasty brain swelling and stuff like that.

Herd immunity is all of us standing around Doris, protecting her. Some of us might not, but hopefully the layer standing around us will, etc.

I agree with your reasoning but is there clear proof that if you are vaccinated you cannot pass it on? This was asked a couple days ago on the news and the answer all round was we don't know yet, unless they have revised this.

We don't know as far as I know, but it's the rationale for many vaccines. Plus I want it when it's my turn.

If enough are vaccinated Covid will become a non problem, whether through reduced disease or failure to transmit."

But we are we then not talking worldwide vaccination to prevent hotspots re-emerging and then introducing global testing that identifies any changes the virus does to combat the antibodies and then vaccines need modified, much like the flu unless I've misunderstood. Tourism would need to be stopped for say a year or 18 months to make sure any hotspots die out unless one is traveling between two covid neural countries.

Manchester (she/her)

If enough are vaccinated Covid will become a non problem, whether through reduced disease or failure to transmit.

But we are we then not talking worldwide vaccination to prevent hotspots re-emerging and then introducing global testing that identifies any changes the virus does to combat the antibodies and then vaccines need modified, much like the flu unless I've misunderstood. Tourism would need to be stopped for say a year or 18 months to make sure any hotspots die out unless one is traveling between two covid neural countries."

Ideally yes, but not necessarily. If Citizen A isn't vaccinated, she comes into contact with say 20 people a day every day, maybe up to 140 infection opportunities a week, all the time. If Tourist B isn't vaccinated (assuming we don't demand vaccination before entry) they're here for maybe a week or two before they become someone else's problem.

The goal isn't eradication, it's reduction of risk to background levels.

Measles still pops up in the UK. People come in with TB. But we don't have to grind society to a halt - we have little outbreaks and deal with it quickly.

But we are we then not talking worldwide vaccination to prevent hotspots re-emerging and then introducing global testing that identifies any changes the virus does to combat the antibodies and then vaccines need modified, much like the flu unless I've misunderstood. Tourism would need to be stopped for say a year or 18 months to make sure any hotspots die out unless one is traveling between two covid neural countries.

Ideally yes, but not necessarily. If Citizen A isn't vaccinated, she comes into contact with say 20 people a day every day, maybe up to 140 infection opportunities a week, all the time. If Tourist B isn't vaccinated (assuming we don't demand vaccination before entry) they're here for maybe a week or two before they become someone else's problem.

The goal isn't eradication, it's reduction of risk to background levels.

Measles still pops up in the UK. People come in with TB. But we don't have to grind society to a halt - we have little outbreaks and deal with it quickly."

That's true. Let's hope that the vaccine prevents transmission which for me would be the greatest nail in the virus coffin above prevention of contacting it.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I don't believe Bill gates is behind it or that's there's a massive global conspiracy so I'm inclined to believe the scientists and the regulators who say the vaccine is safe and would take it so we can get back to normality, so I can have a beer and steak, watch the football and chill out.

Of course there might be some side effects. But I'm on pretty serious meds already that have fatal side effects but taking them is better than the alternative.

Same with the covid vaccine as I'm high risk. Yes it would be nice to wait 5 years to see if there are long term effects. But we can't carry on like this for 5 years.

People always banging on about suicide rates in lockdown but not bothered enough to take a vaccine to end lockdowns.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

you are going to look pretty fucking stupid being the last person to die of covid because you didnt have the jab,the sooner the better for me.

warwick

"I don't believe Bill gates is behind it or that's there's a massive global conspiracy so I'm inclined to believe the scientists and the regulators who say the vaccine is safe and would take it so we can get back to normality, so I can have a beer and steak, watch the football and chill out.

Of course there might be some side effects. But I'm on pretty serious meds already that have fatal side effects but taking them is better than the alternative.

Same with the covid vaccine as I'm high risk. Yes it would be nice to wait 5 years to see if there are long term effects. But we can't carry on like this for 5 years.

People always banging on about suicide rates in lockdown but not bothered enough to take a vaccine to end lockdowns. "

That’s all very well but we’ve had Covid, about like a cold for us , so why should we take a vaccine that no one knows what it might do in years to come ....

My Daughter in law is a senior manager at a hospital in Kent and she is unaware of such a scheme.

Well this is Oxfordshire "

Your post states it is the NHS who are setting up centres, well as the NHS is nationwide why are they not setting up such centres in counties other than Oxfordshire?

By *arbellsWoman  over a year ago

Cambridge

I definitely won't feel ashamed because I didn't get a vaccine.

By *orwidMan  over a year ago

heywood

Not sure if this has been mentioned.... but the no liability clause which has been passed as law is a concern.... no liability for drug company or government...... anyone remember thalidomide???

Manchester (she/her)

"Not sure if this has been mentioned.... but the no liability clause which has been passed as law is a concern.... no liability for drug company or government...... anyone remember thalidomide???"

The law has extended the protection from suit (and pay out options for victims) for Covid-19 vaccines, yes. To the same standard as any other vaccine. The consultation documents on this change are enlightening.

I'm not old enough to remember thalidomide, but I do know that the scandal prompted changes in how we monitor safety of drugs, which carries through to this day. Including in these trials

"Not sure if this has been mentioned.... but the no liability clause which has been passed as law is a concern.... no liability for drug company or government...... anyone remember thalidomide???"

Great someone has answered this.

"Not sure if this has been mentioned.... but the no liability clause which has been passed as law is a concern.... no liability for drug company or government...... anyone remember thalidomide???

The law has extended the protection from suit (and pay out options for victims) for Covid-19 vaccines, yes. To the same standard as any other vaccine. The consultation documents on this change are enlightening.

I'm not old enough to remember thalidomide, but I do know that the scandal prompted changes in how we monitor safety of drugs, which carries through to this day. Including in these trials "

Interesting.

Manchester (she/her)

I know that in the US (most of the vaccine people I follow are US based), vaccine damages became payable out of a communal fund because lawsuits were getting to a point where vaccines were no longer worth producing. The government recognised that the benefit to the majority was worth compensating the extremely rare cases of genuine severe injury, for the protection of everyone else. The US vaccine court has an extremely low standard of proof to prove injury, it's very claimant friendly.

I don't know the specifics of the UK arrangement, but it's the same sort of thing. The benefit of vaccination is so great to society and the vast majority of people, that the community steps up in the rare instance things go wrong.

(I have a family member who suffered a severe adverse reaction from a vaccine. Not only will I take an approved vaccine, in the meantime I'm waiting to hear back from trials)

"Absolutely for it. And I’ve had covid and positive antibodies now for 6 months.

Each to their own

xx"

Well said

Yes. We need 60+ % of the adult population to have it for it to be anyway effective. Some people can’t take it. For anyone else if we are to ever get our freedom back we should have it. I will having mine this month by the sounds of it.

Read the Thalidonide support groups view, it is absolutly nothing like it. That was in the 50's and resulted in the testing regime and approvals. The support society is dumbstruck that the anti vaxxers are using it as an example. Wont go into detail, just have a look, is a total red herring

Manchester (she/her)

"Read the Thalidonide support groups view, it is absolutly nothing like it. That was in the 50's and resulted in the testing regime and approvals. The support society is dumbstruck that the anti vaxxers are using it as an example. Wont go into detail, just have a look, is a total red herring"

This surprises me not at all.

To protect people and to get back to normal its essential. Its a social obligation in an age when most people think about number one. I will laugh so much when the refusers are refused entry to football matches and pubs

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Well if anyone wants mine .... feel free to have it ....

To protect Mum, Dad, Granny, Grandad, easy answer

By *orwidMan  over a year ago

heywood

Not saying I won’t have the vaccine.... just raising it as a point for discussion

I dont imagine anyone will reply to this, left me gobsmacked, how ludicrous

Indeed, the personal choice to kill others, at which point does personal choice become antisocial or dangerous? Is my personal choice to drive at 100mph through a town ok then? Its all about social obligations

Manchester (she/her)

"Indeed, the personal choice to kill others, at which point does personal choice become antisocial or dangerous? Is my personal choice to drive at 100mph through a town ok then? Its all about social obligations"

If you hit the quote button we'll know who you're replying to

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Each to their own

xx"

The AstaZeneca vaccine is a 're work of old covid vaccine I think I read Sarz it is nothing like the Flu jab.

As for the Pfizer one don't know much about it.

So as stated befor would rather wate for the Oxford vaccine.

Manchester (she/her)

Each to their own

xx

The AstaZeneca vaccine is a 're work of old covid vaccine I think I read Sarz it is nothing like the Flu jab.

As for the Pfizer one don't know much about it.

So as stated befor would rather wate for the Oxford vaccine.

"

So do you not want the Oxford AstroZenica vaccine, or would you rather wait for the Oxford AstroZenica vaccine?

Manchester (she/her)

The Oxford AstroZenica vaccine is a modified chimp adenovirus. It causes a cold in chimpanzees. It's been modified to contain the spike protein of SARS-COV-2 and not replicate, just cause an immune response for when we're exposed.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are mRNA vaccines. They take a portion of the spike protein of SARS-COV-2 and wrap it up so it can be delivered into our bodies and in a way our bodies will be able to understand and react to.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Read the Thalidonide support groups view, it is absolutly nothing like it. That was in the 50's and resulted in the testing regime and approvals. The support society is dumbstruck that the anti vaxxers are using it as an example. Wont go into detail, just have a look, is a total red herring"

Doesn't surprise me at all.

That 'example' gets wheeled out on a regular basis.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

In time I can see being vaccinated becoming a necessity in order to live anything like a ‘normal’ life. As it stands I’ll be one of the last to be eligible so would expect any teething problems to be well ironed out before it’s my turn. The vaccine itself does not concern me, being forced to take it does."

Good Post, I'm of the same opinion. X

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I won't be having it, I'm concerned about the speed of which it's been rushed through, drug companies aren't liable for side affects and the fact that it's only up to 90% effective when the recovery rate for covid is at least 98%, and I think ive probably had it earlier this year anyway. By all means, if people want to have it, they can go ahead and do so, bit don't comdemn others and accuse them of being killers, anti vaxxers etc for exercising their right to choose.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

In time I can see being vaccinated becoming a necessity in order to live anything like a ‘normal’ life. As it stands I’ll be one of the last to be eligible so would expect any teething problems to be well ironed out before it’s my turn. The vaccine itself does not concern me, being forced to take it does.

Good Post, I'm of the same opinion. X"

And me

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

"I won't be having it, I'm concerned about the speed of which it's been rushed through, drug companies aren't liable for side affects and the fact that it's only up to 90% effective when the recovery rate for covid is at least 98%, and I think ive probably had it earlier this year anyway. By all means, if people want to have it, they can go ahead and do so, bit don't comdemn others and accuse them of being killers, anti vaxxers etc for exercising their right to choose. "

If you are referring to speed of development of the mRNA vaccine. This type of vaccine has been in development for decades not just a single year. Any possible side effects are now well understood as trials have been carried out on 10’s of thousands of people over the years.

The difference is that with COVID-19 vast sums of money and people have been thrown at it to isolate the right part of the virus to create a targeted mRNA response. Rather than a small group of researchers continually scrabbling for funding.

No one will be forcing you to have the vaccine it will still be your freedom of choice. Though like everything in this life each choice has it’s consequences whether you like it or not.

Some professions have a mandatory requirement to be Hepatitis B vaccinated and have seroconversion otherwise you cannot work in that area.

It maybe a Hobson’s choice but it’s still a choice.

It's all about the dual responsibility of protecting you from others and others from you.

Bolton

"I won't be having it, I'm concerned about the speed of which it's been rushed through, drug companies aren't liable for side affects and the fact that it's only up to 90% effective when the recovery rate for covid is at least 98%, and I think ive probably had it earlier this year anyway. By all means, if people want to have it, they can go ahead and do so, bit don't comdemn others and accuse them of being killers, anti vaxxers etc for exercising their right to choose.

If you are referring to speed of development of the mRNA vaccine. This type of vaccine has been in development for decades not just a single year. Any possible side effects are now well understood as trials have been carried out on 10’s of thousands of people over the years.

The difference is that with COVID-19 vast sums of money and people have been thrown at it to isolate the right part of the virus to create a targeted mRNA response. Rather than a small group of researchers continually scrabbling for funding.

No one will be forcing you to have the vaccine it will still be your freedom of choice. Though like everything in this life each choice has it’s consequences whether you like it or not.

Some professions have a mandatory requirement to be Hepatitis B vaccinated and have seroconversion otherwise you cannot work in that area.

It's all about the dual responsibility of protecting you from others and others from you. "

Sounds interesting. If it was moved that if a person decided not to take up the option of any of the vaccines that are approved, then a list of what they can do or not should be available. As you said, some professionals have a mandatory injection otherwise the can't work in a certain area. That is understandable so, therefore list the areas of prohibited things the anti vaxxers will face if they don't have the injection.

They can then make an informed decision whether the prohibited areas of life are worth missing out on.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"I won't be having it, I'm concerned about the speed of which it's been rushed through, drug companies aren't liable for side affects and the fact that it's only up to 90% effective when the recovery rate for covid is at least 98%, and I think ive probably had it earlier this year anyway. By all means, if people want to have it, they can go ahead and do so, bit don't comdemn others and accuse them of being killers, anti vaxxers etc for exercising their right to choose.

It's all about the dual responsibility of protecting you from others and others from you.

Sounds interesting. If it was moved that if a person decided not to take up the option of any of the vaccines that are approved, then a list of what they can do or not should be available. As you said, some professionals have a mandatory injection otherwise the can't work in a certain area. That is understandable so, therefore list the areas of prohibited things the anti vaxxers will face if they don't have the injection.

They can then make an informed decision whether the prohibited areas of life are worth missing out on. "

Once again, the use of the term anti vaxxer. I have not said at any point I am anti vax. I am pro choice and just don't want this one. Please do not tar us all with the same brush.

Bolton

They can then make an informed decision whether the prohibited areas of life are worth missing out on.

Once again, the use of the term anti vaxxer. I have not said at any point I am anti vax. I am pro choice and just don't want this one. Please do not tar us all with the same brush. "

Sorry, I didn't point my reply at you personally and I agree with choice. I was merely picking up on the point that you raised rather than answering and people didn't understand a disjointed reply.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

There will be a lot of restrictions put onto those that do not take it up.

Travel will be just the beginning.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Once again, the use of the term anti vaxxer. I have not said at any point I am anti vax. I am pro choice and just don't want this one. Please do not tar us all with the same brush.

Sorry, I didn't point my reply at you personally and I agree with choice. I was merely picking up on the point that you raised rather than answering and people didn't understand a disjointed reply. "

. Thankyou. X

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

You do know that that was not caused by a vaccine??? I think science has moved on since the 1950,s too.I cant believe people still think like this,the drug affected the fetus in pregnant women looking at you i dont think you will be having that problem being a guy.

By *kbloke_11Man  over a year ago

Hockley

Why, please explain

We will have it when its our turn, if lots of people don't take it because of all the scare mongering then all these restrictions will stay in place longer

Have it and life can return to normal, simples