FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Malaria...

Malaria...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eorge Jetson OP   Man  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Not a covid topic but you'll see where this is going.....

WHO and biological science have announced that a breakthrough has been found in the battle for a vaccine against malaria, by 2024 a rollout of testing will be in the field in Africa for 80,000 people to combat the mosquito transmitted virus.

By 2024 it will have taken just 62 years to map the DNA of the malaria virus.

61 years longer than it took to do the exact same testing and development of the vaccine for coronavirus.

I'm not gonna explain this, the maths isn't difficult

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Not a covid topic but you'll see where this is going.....

WHO and biological science have announced that a breakthrough has been found in the battle for a vaccine against malaria, by 2024 a rollout of testing will be in the field in Africa for 80,000 people to combat the mosquito transmitted virus.

61 years longer than it took to do the exact same testing and development of the vaccine for coronavirus.

I'm not gonna explain this, the maths isn't difficult "

One is practical and the other is virological ?

By *ustfun 1984Man  over a year ago

exeter

One is practical and the other is virological ? "

One is crippling the worlds economy so has unlimited resources to find a cure the other hasn't

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

The Malaria vaccine was actually in phase 3 trials last year so that already cuts your 61 years down to 56.... then if you consider we were first able to genetically sequence anything only since 1977 that makes it 42 years...

Then of course you have to look at the worldwide impact of malaria compared to Covid.. last year Malaria killed just over 400,000 people, Covid so far has killed over 3 times that.

Malaria is a major health problem, but it’s not a global problem, so a malaria vaccine hasn’t received as much funding or priority as a Covid one..

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

And there is procenshion for malaria all ready so it has not had the funding. OP when did you last donate to the malaria vaccine reach project...

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

The maths is simple, the point of the post eludes me.

By *eorge Jetson OP   Man  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

"And there is procenshion for malaria all ready so it has not had the funding. OP when did you last donate to the malaria vaccine reach project..."

When did you last donate to the covid-19 vaccine research project?

Oh wait, you didn't.. Because there wasn't one. Because the vaccination for this unknown virus was produced so quickly that no further assistance was needed in the search for it.

The point of this is... Globally or not, economy crippling or not, funded or not, a vaccination for a completely new and unstudied virus compared to malaria shouldn't have taken less than 1 year to fully develop and produce for UK, European and worldwide distribution.

The fact that it has is a huge weight off the world, the fact that it took less than a year is more thought provoking.

Wales/ All over UK

"And there is procenshion for malaria all ready so it has not had the funding. OP when did you last donate to the malaria vaccine reach project...

Oh wait, you didn't.. Because there wasn't one. Because the vaccination for this unknown virus was produced so quickly that no further assistance was needed in the search for it.

The point of this is... Globally or not, economy crippling or not, funded or not, a vaccination for a completely new and unstudied virus compared to malaria shouldn't have taken less than 1 year to fully develop and produce for UK, European and worldwide distribution.

The fact that it has is a huge weight off the world, the fact that it took less than a year is more thought provoking.

"

It’s down to current technology and funding... we could do the same with many other health issues if billions were thrown at them

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

Dont take the vaccine if you dont want it. Dont worry about the ones that do and im sure they wont worry about you either.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

the difference is that malaria doesn't really effect the western world and so no drug companies as bothered when they've got mega rich western governments to rescue

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Necessity and money are the mothers of invention

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

I don't think you could explain it to be honest.

If you can't see the difference between malaria and C19, the way each spreads, the areas of the world each of them impact on, you probably couldn't explain a game of conkers.

It's going to be a head wobbler of a day.......

E

Malaria isn't caused by a virus it is caused by plasmodium. Plasmodium is very different to viruses and also to bacteria. Comparing the development of a vaccine for covid and plasmodium is not really meaningful.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Malaria isn't caused by a virus it is caused by plasmodium. Plasmodium is very different to viruses and also to bacteria. Comparing the development of a vaccine for covid and plasmodium is not really meaningful. "

This

Plasmodium is a eukaryotic parasitic organism. It's difficult to target such parasites for treatment or vaccines because human cells are also eukaryotic and therefore many dr*GS that would impact on Plasmodium would have the same or similar impact on our own cells. Side effects are a massive problem. The same issues occur in fungal disease due to nature of fungal cells being eukaryotic too.

Viruses and bacteria are much easier to target with medications and vaccines because they are either prokaryotic (bacteria) or lack a true cellular structure (viruses) and the components that make up bacteria and viruses are sufficiently different to provide suitable dr*g targets.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant/conspiracy theory.

Wales/ All over UK

Malaria isn't caused by a virus it is caused by plasmodium. Plasmodium is very different to viruses and also to bacteria. Comparing the development of a vaccine for covid and plasmodium is not really meaningful.

This

Plasmodium is a eukaryotic parasitic organism. It's difficult to target such parasites for treatment or vaccines because human cells are also eukaryotic and therefore many dr*GS that would impact on Plasmodium would have the same or similar impact on our own cells. Side effects are a massive problem. The same issues occur in fungal disease due to nature of fungal cells being eukaryotic too.

Viruses and bacteria are much easier to target with medications and vaccines because they are either prokaryotic (bacteria) or lack a true cellular structure (viruses) and the components that make up bacteria and viruses are sufficiently different to provide suitable dr*g targets.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant/conspiracy theory."

I have learned something new today!.. Thank you

North West

This

I have learned something new today!.. Thank you"

If one person learns something, it's worth sitting and typing it all out. Biology education is my bread and butter (microbiology specifically)

Wales/ All over UK

This

If one person learns something, it's worth sitting and typing it all out. Biology education is my bread and butter (microbiology specifically) "

I’m just a humble nerd, enjoying picking up new science information

Malaria also has a habit of mutating very quickly, so scientists have always been on the back foot.

Even the prevention drugs do not always work.

I know, I got it in 1999!

By *oastGentMan  over a year ago

G71 7SA

"

If one person learns something, it's worth sitting and typing it all out. Biology education is my bread and butter (microbiology specifically) "

I’m absolutely LOVING that this thread has been flipped by someone with actual knowledge and expertise on the subject! It’s having literally the opposite effect of that intended by the OP!

The Malaria vaccine was actually in phase 3 trials last year so that already cuts your 61 years down to 56.... then if you consider we were first able to genetically sequence anything only since 1977 that makes it 42 years...

Then of course you have to look at the worldwide impact of malaria compared to Covid.. last year Malaria killed just over 400,000 people, Covid so far has killed over 3 times that.

Malaria is a major health problem, but it’s not a global problem, so a malaria vaccine hasn’t received as much funding or priority as a Covid one..

"

Like anything it depends on how data is read and what parts are share or left out.

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that more than a million people in Africa die from malaria every year, including 3,000 children each day. "It's a huge problem," said Snow, who is also a professor of tropical public health at the University of Oxford. (2020)

This is just Africa. Does not include Asia or south America.

The official figure is about 420-450 thousand per year of those known to have died from malaria. This means those who were registered under one of their health schemes. They know that there are 100s of thousand more that die in the villages that are not detected and a much much high proportion are children.

It is a FAR bigger problem than you're implying, and it is becoming a global issue as global warming has now brought it into Europe and America and other countries that there were no known cases due to temperatures, it can't survive at certain altitudes either because of temperature.

You also for get that these figure are only per year, so in my lifetime there has been in excess of 30-40 million allowing advancement of treatments, with a high proportion of them being children.

So it all depends on how one wants to read and use data.

The maths is simple, the point of the post eludes me."

id say the opposite... the point of the post was clearly anti covid vax ... that math was ill informed and over simplified for the purpose of the point

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Malaria also has a habit of mutating very quickly, so scientists have always been on the back foot.

Even the prevention drugs do not always work.

I know, I got it in 1999!"

That will explain why in 1980 in Kenya we had three different types of tablets in a 6 month period..

And some still got it..

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

It will be interesting to see if they do a two month phase 3 trial and then approve the malaria vaccine in ten days. Or perhaps they will take the normal precautions and give it a couple of years to make sure it is safe.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"It will be interesting to see if they do a two month phase 3 trial and then approve the malaria vaccine in ten days. Or perhaps they will take the normal precautions and give it a couple of years to make sure it is safe."

What's your suggestion for the next 2 years as an alternative to the vaccine ?

At the end of 2 years would you maybe wait for 10 years, or 20 ?

I doubt they'll get 43000 volunteers to sign up for the malaria vaccine so that might slow it a bit.

This

But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant/conspiracy theory."

What a load of pointless information. The OP was clear. Malaria vaccine and covid vaccine are the exact same thing. 'Vaccine' is spelled the same way.

One took less than a year and one took 62 years. The maths is simple.

By *adMerWoman  over a year ago

Sandwich

This

What a load of pointless information. The OP was clear. Malaria vaccine and covid vaccine are the exact same thing. 'Vaccine' is spelled the same way.

One took less than a year and one took 62 years. The maths is simple. "

Pointless?

Malaria and Covid are not the same. The vaccines won’t be the same!

A well informed person in the field of microbiology explains it, but that’s pointless information?!

Some people will just believe whatever they want. Even when there’s plenty of evidence to the contrary.

The South

This

Pointless?

A well informed person in the field of microbiology explains it, but that’s pointless information?!

Some people will just believe whatever they want. Even when there’s plenty of evidence to the contrary."

That awkward moment when a joke whistles over someone's head.

E

This

Pointless?

Some people will just believe whatever they want. Even when there’s plenty of evidence to the contrary.

That awkward moment when a joke whistles over someone's head.

E"

North West

This

One took less than a year and one took 62 years. The maths is simple. "

Apologies. I'll dig out my Maths GCSE and revise immediately. And my English to check spellings

This

Apologies. I'll dig out my Maths GCSE and revise immediately. And my English to check spellings "

It's not your fault. Everyone knows GCSE'S are a doddle.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I'm curious as to where the "62 years" came from. The first identification of the parasite that causes malaria was actually 1880.

... the reason that stopping malaria has not happened in as short a time as the vaccine for Covid is obvious. The financial impact that has crippled most of the world is a huge motivation.

Cal

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"It will be interesting to see if they do a two month phase 3 trial and then approve the malaria vaccine in ten days. Or perhaps they will take the normal precautions and give it a couple of years to make sure it is safe."

Oh dear. Your post just shows you have no idea of the registration process. Once the submission has gone to the regulators it normally takes 2 full years to get a registration and not 2 years to make sure it's safe (the applicant is not allowed to submit anymore data). The regulators put the submission into a queue. They firstly do a completeness check on the data to make sure all the relevant studies have been submitted and give themselves 3-6 months to do this. Then they put the submission into another queue and review the studies and give themselves 6-12 months to do that. They send their findings back to the applicant and other regulators for them all to comment. All in all it's usually 2 years for this process to take place. In the vaccine cases they have put them to the top of the queue and have thrown lots of manpower into the review. I guess it's a bit like DIY SOS where they transform a home in 9 days using hundreds of volunteers. Something that normally takes a year is achieved in those nine days.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The maths is simple, the point of the post eludes me."

It will be a great day when both illnesses are left in the past. And that diseases largely affecting poorer people are given prominence and resources.

2 pathogens may not be equivalent, having very different abilities to mutate, adapt and to still be problems.

The genetic sequence was available for Sars-Cov-2 from the first week of January this year, when China issued it to the world, before most of us even knew of any problem.

Nothing similar obviously happened with malaria. That's a tough disease too, often affecting people who are within conflict zones, making it highly dangerous for medics to gain access to people, distributing safety nets etc.

Central

It will depend on the nation states that it's approved for. As well as their approval processes and priorities. You're referring to what the UK has done, because of our motivation and systems - it's going to be most beneficial in countries rather different to here.

The biggest problem with malaria is that the parasite can differ from region to region as it becomes immune to the prophalaxis. So the treatment for one area does not mean it'll work against the parasite in another. It's not a virus either.

Some strains of malaria are more dangerous than others in particular falciporum, as the body temperature rises so high that it usually cause featal death or abnormalities and possible brain damage to the host. I believe it is this strain that the Oxford "vaccine' is targeting and isn't expected to be available until 2024. To think it will treat all malaria is unrealistic given the nature and number of different strains.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

Mosquito nets! Say it right, it sounds like you're swearing

Hate to say it, but we actually need diseases to keep the population at a level where we have a chance of feeding everyone.

Puts tin hat on....

By *assage_MusicCouple  over a year ago

South East

"And there is procenshion for malaria all ready so it has not had the funding. OP when did you last donate to the malaria vaccine reach project...

"

I can't find fault in your reasoning. Not only the maths but logic doesn't add up.

Is everyone blind to cheer up what's being presented to the public? No need to go into conspiracy theories, but shouldn't we be at least a little cautious?

South East

"Mosquito nets! Say it right, it sounds like you're swearing

Hate to say it, but we actually need diseases to keep the population at a level where we have a chance of feeding everyone.

Puts tin hat on....

"

Oh there's plenty of food for everyone. Even if the population rises tenfold. Cut out greed and "me-first" attitude, waste of resources, unnecessary war conflicts and a few other issues perhaps, and we can all wine and dine with no shortages and deprivation.

By *utterflyandArtificeCouple  over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

I had malaria, might still have it but not had an episode in 5 years. Was lucky it wasn't cerebral malarial and always had a coarse of coartem with me.

I took doxycycline daily and still got it. I followed all the rules, long sleeves and trousers at dawn and dusk, repellent and burners.

The mozzies of the Mosquito Coast of West Africa are double hard barstewards.

Malaria is awful, it kills loads in Africa, it ain't right. However the corruption which prices free nets and medicine beyond the finances of the poor should be addressed first.

I sent my local buyers to purchase nets for my camp in East Africa; they returned with 70 brand new nets which cost a kings ransom that should have been free, but were sold in a shop along with USAid foodstuffs - it didn't get in the shops legally but C'est L'Afrique and it happens.

South East

"It will be interesting to see if they do a two month phase 3 trial and then approve the malaria vaccine in ten days. Or perhaps they will take the normal precautions and give it a couple of years to make sure it is safe.

Oh dear. Your post just shows you have no idea of the registration process. Once the submission has gone to the regulators it normally takes 2 full years to get a registration and not 2 years to make sure it's safe (the applicant is not allowed to submit anymore data). The regulators put the submission into a queue. They firstly do a completeness check on the data to make sure all the relevant studies have been submitted and give themselves 3-6 months to do this. Then they put the submission into another queue and review the studies and give themselves 6-12 months to do that. They send their findings back to the applicant and other regulators for them all to comment. All in all it's usually 2 years for this process to take place. In the vaccine cases they have put them to the top of the queue and have thrown lots of manpower into the review. I guess it's a bit like DIY SOS where they transform a home in 9 days using hundreds of volunteers. Something that normally takes a year is achieved in those nine days."

This is a good illustration that you give with building/renovating a house in 9 days as opposed to, as you claim, a whole year.

If it normally takes a year to do something and you compress it into 9 days, there will be negative consequences, structural instability, cracking, flacking off, damp, etc.

Concrete slabs take 30days to cure. Don't lay flooring on top too quickly. Render/plaster, wait 14 days before final finish.

I wouldn't trust a builder who skips technological steps to speed up the process, even when he assures me that all steps have been duly followed...

North West

I can't find fault in your reasoning. Not only the maths but logic doesn't add up.

Is everyone blind to cheer up what's being presented to the public? No need to go into conspiracy theories, but shouldn't we be at least a little cautious?

"

The technology behind the Pfizer vaccine (and the Moderna and Oxford ones) isn't new. All the techniques have been proven to work and have been studied since the late 80s. The woman who first identified the possibility of an mRNA based vaccine is a Hungarian scientist called Katalin Karikó and she's been working on it since 1989. The Guardian article below profiles her, but the following sentence is telling: "But the team fell apart due to lack of funding. "We couldn't get money then because it was too novel.""

This technology could easily have been deployed in other vaccines before now, if someone had thought outside the traditional design box and funded it. What happened this year is more money was thrown at this in a 10 month period than has ever been thrown at a medical problem, ever. Malaria is a) too third world for most pharma companies to invest in (sad but true) and b) much more complex than a single stranded RNA virus, for the reasons I outlined in my first comment on this thread. Plasmodium is eukaryotic, as are human cells, so identifying suitable vaccine and dr*g targets without harming human cells is very difficult.

Central

"It will be interesting to see if they do a two month phase 3 trial and then approve the malaria vaccine in ten days. Or perhaps they will take the normal precautions and give it a couple of years to make sure it is safe.

Oh dear. Your post just shows you have no idea of the registration process. Once the submission has gone to the regulators it normally takes 2 full years to get a registration and not 2 years to make sure it's safe (the applicant is not allowed to submit anymore data). The regulators put the submission into a queue. They firstly do a completeness check on the data to make sure all the relevant studies have been submitted and give themselves 3-6 months to do this. Then they put the submission into another queue and review the studies and give themselves 6-12 months to do that. They send their findings back to the applicant and other regulators for them all to comment. All in all it's usually 2 years for this process to take place. In the vaccine cases they have put them to the top of the queue and have thrown lots of manpower into the review. I guess it's a bit like DIY SOS where they transform a home in 9 days using hundreds of volunteers. Something that normally takes a year is achieved in those nine days.

This is a good illustration that you give with building/renovating a house in 9 days as opposed to, as you claim, a whole year.

If it normally takes a year to do something and you compress it into 9 days, there will be negative consequences, structural instability, cracking, flacking off, damp, etc.

Concrete slabs take 30days to cure. Don't lay flooring on top too quickly. Render/plaster, wait 14 days before final finish.

I wouldn't trust a builder who skips technological steps to speed up the process, even when he assures me that all steps have been duly followed...

"

Thank goodness that all steps were taken appropriately with the vaccines in the west.

The South

"

You know you can 3D print a four bedroom, detached, 2 story house in a day now?

E

North West

The technology behind the Pfizer vaccine (and the Moderna and Oxford ones) isn't new. All the techniques have been proven to work and have been studied since the late 80s. The woman who first identified the possibility of an mRNA based vaccine is a Hungarian scientist called Katalin Karikó and she's been working on it since 1989. The Guardian article below profiles her, but the following sentence is telling: "But the team fell apart due to lack of funding. "We couldn't get money then because it was too novel.""

This technology could easily have been deployed in other vaccines before now, if someone had thought outside the traditional design box and funded it. What happened this year is more money was thrown at this in a 10 month period than has ever been thrown at a medical problem, ever. Malaria is a) too third world for most pharma companies to invest in (sad but true) and b) much more complex than a single stranded RNA virus, for the reasons I outlined in my first comment on this thread. Plasmodium is eukaryotic, as are human cells, so identifying suitable vaccine and dr*g targets without harming human cells is very difficult. "

Oops, forgot the link (must go to Barnard Castle for an eye test )

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/nov/21/covid-vaccine-technology-pioneer-i-never-doubted-it-would-work

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Like anything it depends on how data is read and what parts are share or left out.

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that more than a million people in Africa die from malaria every year, including 3,000 children each day. "It's a huge problem," said Snow, who is also a professor of tropical public health at the University of Oxford. (2020)

The official figure is about 420-450 thousand per year of those known to have died from malaria. This means those who were registered under one of their health schemes. They know that there are 100s of thousand more that die in the villages that are not detected and a much much high proportion are children.

It is a FAR bigger problem than you're implying, and it is becoming a global issue as global warming has now brought it into Europe and America and other countries that there were no known cases due to temperatures, it can't survive at certain altitudes either because of temperature.

You also for get that these figure are only per year, so in my lifetime there has been in excess of 30-40 million allowing advancement of treatments, with a high proportion of them being children.

So it all depends on how one wants to read and use data."

These WHO figures don't add up as 3000 x 365 = 1,095,000 alone.

North West

So it all depends on how one wants to read and use data.

These WHO figures don't add up as 3000 x 365 = 1,095,000 alone.

"

67% of malaria deaths are in children under 5yrs. If we define a child as anyone under 18, we soon see how children make up a massive majority of malaria deaths. There's plenty of data to be read on the WHO, Unicef etc websites - "from the horse's mouth", so to speak. Sadly we cannot link to them here.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

It seems that the op doesn't want to get involved in this conversation now. Quite possibly realised quite quickly that their anti vaccine or whatever opinion is a load of *****.

This technology could easily have been deployed in other vaccines before now, if someone had thought outside the traditional design box and funded it. What happened this year is more money was thrown at this in a 10 month period than has ever been thrown at a medical problem, ever. Malaria is a) too third world for most pharma companies to invest in (sad but true) and b) much more complex than a single stranded RNA virus, for the reasons I outlined in my first comment on this thread. Plasmodium is eukaryotic, as are human cells, so identifying suitable vaccine and dr*g targets without harming human cells is very difficult. "

I remember sharing a great article about the advances in mRNA technology and how they were hoping to form the basis of a vaccine with it that could be adapted to multiple viruses (written pre-covid) and my thread got engagement from a grand total of one single person. It's far easier to go with the "this technology is too new" route to justify not getting vaxxed rather than "all my mates are sending me fake news saying it's dangerous so obviously it's true; facts be damned!".

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"

I did say its a bit like ......

Noticed you ignored the actual details for the registration.

North West

"

This technology could easily have been deployed in other vaccines before now, if someone had thought outside the traditional design box and funded it. What happened this year is more money was thrown at this in a 10 month period than has ever been thrown at a medical problem, ever. Malaria is a) too third world for most pharma companies to invest in (sad but true) and b) much more complex than a single stranded RNA virus, for the reasons I outlined in my first comment on this thread. Plasmodium is eukaryotic, as are human cells, so identifying suitable vaccine and dr*g targets without harming human cells is very difficult.

I remember sharing a great article about the advances in mRNA technology and how they were hoping to form the basis of a vaccine with it that could be adapted to multiple viruses (written pre-covid) and my thread got engagement from a grand total of one single person. It's far easier to go with the "this technology is too new" route to justify not getting vaxxed rather than "all my mates are sending me fake news saying it's dangerous so obviously it's true; facts be damned!". "

Amber, many of us share factual science (though we cannot include links most of the time), and it most often gets zero response. But posts that are utter codswallop, based on conspiracy theories, get loads of replies, often in support. This pandemic has opened my eyes to the basic scientific illiteracy of the general public and the lack of critical thinking skills. If that's how the average thinks, then we're doomed *in the voice of Private Fraser*

"I had malaria, might still have it but not had an episode in 5 years. Was lucky it wasn't cerebral malarial and always had a coarse of coartem with me.

I took doxycycline daily and still got it. I followed all the rules, long sleeves and trousers at dawn and dusk, repellent and burners.

The mozzies of the Mosquito Coast of West Africa are double hard barstewards.

Malaria is awful, it kills loads in Africa, it ain't right. However the corruption which prices free nets and medicine beyond the finances of the poor should be addressed first.

I sent my local buyers to purchase nets for my camp in East Africa; they returned with 70 brand new nets which cost a kings ransom that should have been free, but were sold in a shop along with USAid foodstuffs - it didn't get in the shops legally but C'est L'Afrique and it happens."

Aka, the 'white man's grave'.

I've had it dozens of times, as I lived and worked in Africa for many many years, sometimes worse than others. It is not uncommon for the parasite to stay in your blood stream up to 2 years after treatment has been given.

It would be amazing if a universal treatment were found but I rather doubt it. The WHO even had a programme trying to genetically to change mosquitoes so fewer females were reproduced.

Dengue fever another big killer this is also another parasite that is passed by 'daytime' mosquitoes which could have been eradicated if they were successful.

» Add a new message to this topic