FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Vaccine

Vaccine

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What up?

So with vaccines currently in the news a lot these days. It seems to be going at a steady pace with the first vaccines to start in January 2021. I will be getting the vaccine 100% no doubt! Purely because I’ve a suppressed immune system. Do you thing you will get it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ortadowncplCouple  over a year ago

Portadown

Yes, depending on which one it is. I’ve read up on the ones that have released study results and will try to get the others as they are released. I’m happy that it’s safe enough to outweigh the risk of covid and I’m also content with the risk/reward ratio on this.

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

it depends on what you'll be allowed do without the vaccine. my mind continuously changes. a vaccine produced in 8 months is bound to have people sceptical. also taking a vaccine for something that has over a 99 % survival rate. it depends your own situation and how u look at things.

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

Yes I'll get it....I believe we wont be allowed travel without it...

And I'm sure work will look for us to have it...

So I'll be getting it.

Tipperary

I know healthcare workers, working in nursing homes who said they wont be taking it. what happens there?

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"it depends on what you'll be allowed do without the vaccine. my mind continuously changes. a vaccine produced in 8 months is bound to have people sceptical. also taking a vaccine for something that has over a 99 % survival rate. it depends your own situation and how u look at things. "

Yeah 8 months. But I’d assume with the amount of staff and companies working this period justifies the short period! Plus it’s a pandemic that we’re going through.. that’s the way I look at it..

I agree with you to a certain extent, as there has been people who have been healthy and has been left with long term damage to their bodies. I.e. loss of mobility etc.

tipperary

"I know healthcare workers, working in nursing homes who said they wont be taking it. what happens there?"

Up to each individual.....

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Each to their own, and im not an anti vaxxer but no i wont be getting it.

And i dont agree with forced vaccinations either..this "you cant travel unless you have had it theory" is basically forced consent.

Its my body, i get to say what is put into it.

Q

Tipperary

"it depends on what you'll be allowed do without the vaccine. my mind continuously changes. a vaccine produced in 8 months is bound to have people sceptical. also taking a vaccine for something that has over a 99 % survival rate. it depends your own situation and how u look at things.

Yeah 8 months. But I’d assume with the amount of staff and companies working this period justifies the short period! Plus it’s a pandemic that we’re going through.. that’s the way I look at it..

I agree with you to a certain extent, as there has been people who have been healthy and has been left with long term damage to their bodies. I.e. loss of mobility etc. "

risk v reward is how alot will look at it. as I said it depends what you'll be allowed do. life is pretty crap at the moment.

tipperary

And with that I'm out...I'll be getting it....

Get it or dont get it....its up to each individual....

Tipperary

"And with that I'm out...I'll be getting it....

Get it or dont get it....its up to each individual...."

you're right, it is, but I feel for the country to return to normality, a certain % will have to take it.

"Each to their own, and im not an anti vaxxer but no i wont be getting it.

And i dont agree with forced vaccinations either..this "you cant travel unless you have had it theory" is basically forced consent.

Q"

It's been the case for many years that vaccinations for various diseases are required for some foreign travel. Is that also forced consent or is it just this one that has you suddenly precious about it?

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Lots of time to think about it here, other priority people way ahead of me. Add to that the Covax group have stated no country will get more doses until each country has dealt with 20% of their population, ie the vulnerable & health care workers.... so plenty of time to think about it

"Yes, depending on which one it is. I’ve read up on the ones that have released study results and will try to get the others as they are released. I’m happy that it’s safe enough to outweigh the risk of covid and I’m also content with the risk/reward ratio on this."

I'm not sure we will get much of a choice which one we get

"it depends on what you'll be allowed do without the vaccine. my mind continuously changes. a vaccine produced in 8 months is bound to have people sceptical. also taking a vaccine for something that has over a 99 % survival rate. it depends your own situation and how u look at things. "

Where do people get this 99% from even experts keep asking that

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

From The NHS UK website;

A coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine developed by Pfizer/BioNTech has been approved for use in the UK.

The vaccine will be made available from next week.

The vaccine has met strict standards of safety, quality and effectiveness set out by the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).

Other vaccines are being developed. They will only be available on the NHS once they have been thoroughly tested to make sure they are safe and effective.

Vaccine safety.

Any coronavirus vaccine that is approved must go through all the clinical trials and safety checks all other licensed medicines go through. The UK has some of the highest safety standards in the world.

Vaccines will only be used if they are approved by the MHRA. The MHRA has been monitoring every stage of coronavirus vaccine development.

So far, thousands of people have been given a coronavirus vaccine and no serious side effects or complications have been reported.

E

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Q"

Travelling isn't essential or a right. If you choose not to take the vaccine and the vaccine is required for entry to other countries or to board a plane, then there you are. You'll have to holiday in Skegness or somewhere. Other countries have a right to decide on what basis to accept people across their border and already, vaccination against certain diseases (eg yellow fever) is required for some places. We've all become too used to simply swanning around Europe in a frictionless, borderless way. Even without Covid, that ability to swan is going to disappear thanks to the thing beginning with B

North West

PS: I'd have the vaccine quite happily but being 35, I doubt it'll be this side of 2021. However I did get a free flu jab this year, so maybe my old heart murmur (that I was told for years did NOT allow a free flu jab) has been elevated up the priority list. Anyway. We shall see.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

This is how I feel about it, 50/50.

What I want to know is, apart from they haven't been tested, is why aren't they giving it to children when the government is so adamant they won't close schools?

Why haven't we heard anything from the people who were tested?

Why aren't teachers on the priority list?

North West

"it depends on what you'll be allowed do without the vaccine. my mind continuously changes. a vaccine produced in 8 months is bound to have people sceptical. also taking a vaccine for something that has over a 99 % survival rate. it depends your own situation and how u look at things.

What I want to know is, apart from they haven't been tested, is why aren't they giving it to children when the government is so adamant they won't close schools?

Why aren't teachers on the priority list? "

The vaccine has not been trialled in U18s so it's not licensed for children. That answers that question. Children are exceptionally unlikely to become seriously ill, many are asymptomatic, so all the money and research has been thrown at making a vaccine suitable for adults, especially the elderly, whose immune systems are distinctly different to children's.

Teachers are on the list insofar as they will get it according to their age and presence of co-morbidities. Adults with high risk health conditions are no 5 on the priority list.

Q

Travelling isn't essential or a right. If you choose not to take the vaccine and the vaccine is required for entry to other countries or to board a plane, then there you are. You'll have to holiday in Skegness or somewhere. Other countries have a right to decide on what basis to accept people across their border and already, vaccination against certain diseases (eg yellow fever) is required for some places. We've all become too used to simply swanning around Europe in a frictionless, borderless way. Even without Covid, that ability to swan is going to disappear thanks to the thing beginning with B "

It's not. As most travelers are probably in the age that will not be getting it before May/June at the earliest I'm assuming then flights and international land travel will be quite limited.

I'm guessing all businesses will be buying it for their cross border truckers too.

tipperary

Where do people get this 99% from even experts keep asking that "

From a lad on fb.....

Or off the interweb....

Either way....they know a lot

Why aren't teachers on the priority list? "

Presumably family holidays will be put on hold this year then if kids aren't being given it.

It was on the news the other day that people who have been vaccinated can still carry and therefore still pass on the virus as it can still be present in the nasal passage of vaccinated people.

I take from that, that it doesn't stop the spread but prevents the individual from getting severely ill from it.

tipperary

Q

Travelling isn't essential or a right. If you choose not to take the vaccine and the vaccine is required for entry to other countries or to board a plane, then there you are. You'll have to holiday in Skegness or somewhere. Other countries have a right to decide on what basis to accept people across their border and already, vaccination against certain diseases (eg yellow fever) is required for some places. We've all become too used to simply swanning around Europe in a frictionless, borderless way. Even without Covid, that ability to swan is going to disappear thanks to the thing beginning with B

It's not. As most travelers are probably in the age that will not be getting it before May/June at the earliest I'm assuming then flights and international land travel will be quite limited.

I'm guessing all businesses will be buying it for their cross border truckers too."

Will the vaccine not be free

Q

I'm guessing all businesses will be buying it for their cross border truckers too.

Will the vaccine not be free"

Yes but it's being rolled out to those most vulnerable and those who are on the front line first. This will take time as limited supplies are available, the UK isn't the only country requesting it.

There are those whom the government feel do not need it, ie children they they will be at the bottom of the queue.

This is an example if how other vaccines are distributed:

The NHS has calculated that giving the shingles vaccine to 70-year-olds will protect the greatest number of people for the longest possible time. Some vaccinated people will still get shingles, but the effects of the disease are likely to be less severe than they would usually be.

So I don't see it as an issue for those who choose not to take it, and certainly don't see why pro vaxxers are trying to shame or restrict those who may choose not to take it either.

Q

It's been the case for many years that vaccinations for various diseases are required for some foreign travel. Is that also forced consent or is it just this one that has you suddenly precious about it?"

Awww do you think im precious..lol

I dont want the vaccine, thats my business..if you want it go ahead.

I dont judge you for that so a bit of respect and manners please

Q

It's been the case for many years that vaccinations for various diseases are required for some foreign travel. Is that also forced consent or is it just this one that has you suddenly precious about it?

Awww do you think im precious..lol

I dont want the vaccine, thats my business..if you want it go ahead.

I dont judge you for that so a bit of respect and manners please "

I never judged your decision to not have the covid vaccine. I'm judging equating the possibility of needing a covid vaccine for foreign travel with, as you call it, forced consent

Will all us non essential people even be offered it? I cant see the government spending money where they really really dont have too. Especially if we all need it every year for evermore. Logistical nightmare surely. They will just accidently run out when they've vaxed the ones they want too. My wacky theory of the day

By *ent in BlackMan  over a year ago

Silsden

As soon as I have the opportunity I’ll get it. However I’ll be low on the list I think. The wife is a nurse working on a rehab ward for the elderly (used to be called gereatric) so we think she’ll get it sooner.

Northampton Somewhere

The vaccine has not been trialled in U18s so it's not licensed for children. That answers that question. Children are exceptionally unlikely to become seriously ill, many are asymptomatic, so all the money and research has been thrown at making a vaccine suitable for adults, especially the elderly, whose immune systems are distinctly different to children's.

Teachers are on the list insofar as they will get it according to their age and presence of co-morbidities. Adults with high risk health conditions are no 5 on the priority list."

I know all that but thanks for your lovely reply anyway

Northampton Somewhere

Presumably family holidays will be put on hold this year then if kids aren't being given it.

It was on the news the other day that people who have been vaccinated can still carry and therefore still pass on the virus as it can still be present in the nasal passage of vaccinated people.

I take from that, that it doesn't stop the spread but prevents the individual from getting severely ill from it."

That is exactly it, even if you've been vaccinated you can still pass it on.

It's protecting the vunerable. Nothing wrong with that, obviously.

North West

Teachers are on the list insofar as they will get it according to their age and presence of co-morbidities. Adults with high risk health conditions are no 5 on the priority list.

I know all that but thanks for your lovely reply anyway "

I didn't realise your questions were rhetorical

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

From a national point of view, when 50% or more of the population have some type of immunity, the risk of the virus becoming an epidemic is significantly small. They have said there are no plans for any sort of "covid passport", and there would be a long legal battle to bring in something like that. Some countries "may" insist you are vaccinated before you can visit (like many do for other infections) but that will be left to be seen.

Cal

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'll probably have it and will take a final review of the relevant research evidence, before doing so. It's for me, family and the rest of the people I may come into contact with, including those unable to have 1

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Think i will be getting mine quite soon. Bit scared but feel it is for the best.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Practise Nurse's are given 2 mins to give each person a flu jab, explain and document in most surgeries, in some its 1 minute. Standing all day doing this work for some is impossible. Here they do 8.30 - 1.30 flu clinics. Spare a thought for all who will be doing these covid vaccinations. Some of them also need mixing, they are not even pre-syringed.

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

I'll be getting it as soon as I can. I'm down the list tho (quite rightly). I've read enough already so I'm just going for it.

Tipperary

for a return to normal life, give me a shot of it.

Has it been made clear what this vaccine actually does?

From the data so far it doesn't appear to stop the transmission of the virus but lessens it's severity if you contract the disease.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

There's an interesting article I just read by Peter Droshi who is an editor at the British medical journal.

I'm not sure that we can post links, but he discusses how the trials and results were recorded and on whom, who was tested after being vaccinated and the short term documented side effects.

It's good to have all the information as I believe they are starting the vaccinations for the most vulnerable tomorrow.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Will all us non essential people even be offered it? I cant see the government spending money where they really really dont have too. Especially if we all need it every year for evermore. Logistical nightmare surely. They will just accidently run out when they've vaxed the ones they want too. My wacky theory of the day "

That’s been in my thoughts to, are they really going to offer the whole population the option of having the vaccination, I’m thinking not.... already mooted that under 16s won’t be offered it. Time will tell

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Yes, depending on which one it is. I’ve read up on the ones that have released study results and will try to get the others as they are released. I’m happy that it’s safe enough to outweigh the risk of covid and I’m also content with the risk/reward ratio on this."

North West

"Has it been made clear what this vaccine actually does?

From the data so far it doesn't appear to stop the transmission of the virus but lessens it's severity if you contract the disease. "

Yes, it prevents you getting ill with Covid, ie you won't become ill and require hospital treatment. This disease is not the only one whereby vaccination prevents illness in the recipient but might not stop them spreading it. Children who get the nasal flu vaccine actually shed viable virus for a few days after the vaccination and are recommended to avoid contact with vulnerable people/people with weakened immune systems.

"Practise Nurse's are given 2 mins to give each person a flu jab, explain and document in most surgeries, in some its 1 minute. Standing all day doing this work for some is impossible. Here they do 8.30 - 1.30 flu clinics. Spare a thought for all who will be doing these covid vaccinations. Some of them also need mixing, they are not even pre-syringed."

They won't be using the same criteria. Doctors have requested additional funding too for each vaccination given.

I understand where you're coming from though.

"Has it been made clear what this vaccine actually does?

From the data so far it doesn't appear to stop the transmission of the virus but lessens it's severity if you contract the disease.

Yes, it prevents you getting ill with Covid, ie you won't become ill and require hospital treatment. This disease is not the only one whereby vaccination prevents illness in the recipient but might not stop them spreading it. Children who get the nasal flu vaccine actually shed viable virus for a few days after the vaccination and are recommended to avoid contact with vulnerable people/people with weakened immune systems."

I think it's more accurate to say it greatly reduces the chance of getting it and if you do the chance of hospitalisation is negligible unless it triggers other underlying health issues.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

Get it or dont get it....its up to each individual....you're right, it is, but I feel for the country to return to normality, a certain % will have to take it. "

they are looking at around 60 to70% for that to start happening. Personally I am v v wary of this Pfizer one. ill wait for the Oxford one

The South

Get it or dont get it....its up to each individual....you're right, it is, but I feel for the country to return to normality, a certain % will have to take it. they are looking at around 60 to70% for that to start happening.

Personally I am v v wary of this Pfizer one. ill wait for the Oxford one "

I suspect (strongly) that both will have gone through the same approval process.

E

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

Q"

It won’t be our government and probably not the airlines saying that you can’t travel without the vaccine though, it will be the government in other countries. There are already 9 European countries who have said vaccination will be compulsory. If anyone realistically thinks that these countries and others such as Australia and New Zealand where COVID levels are very low are going to let in travellers who haven’t been vaccinated from other countries where levels are much higher they are deluded.

The South

Q

It won’t be our government and probably not the airlines saying that you can’t travel without the vaccine though, it will be the government in other countries. There are already 9 European countries who have said vaccination will be compulsory. If anyone realistically thinks that these countries and others such as Australia and New Zealand where COVID levels are very low are going to let in travellers who haven’t been vaccinated from other countries where levels are much higher they are deluded."

This. ^

The pure logic escapes many.

E

» Add a new message to this topic