FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > A message of hope at last

A message of hope at last

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ofusplus OP   Couple  over a year ago

Limerick

This may come across as just another Covid thread, but please hear/read me out.

Reading this morning about Margaret Keenan, a 90 year-old lady from Fermanagh being first to receive the clinically approved Pfizer vaccine this morning. I actually shed a tear, a mixture of relief and hope washing over me. My reaction surprised me as I actually enjoyed the slower pace of life, but immediately my thoughts went to my parents, parents-in-law and other vulnerable members of my family and friends who I can finally hug again soon after all this time.

Please no negative comments, this is hopefully a positive thread to highlight that this is the beginning of the end of this horrible time which took us all completely by surprise.

Merry Christmas all!

Mrs

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Yes it was nice to hear it and the people in Belfast getting it

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ye I was surprised and a little bit reserved in my reaction as I didn’t know enough about it..

it seems she is protected against the worst effects but still maybe a carrier.. but hopefully as it’s rolled out to all we will all be able to get back to reality... and embrace life again.. it’s Great news OP...

Limerick

"Ye I was surprised and a little bit reserved in my reaction as I didn’t know enough about it..

it seems she is protected against the worst effects but still maybe a carrier.. but hopefully as it’s rolled out to all we will all be able to get back to reality... and embrace life again.. it’s Great news OP... "

Yes, well you could argue out the perceived negatives, for eg the speed at which the vaccine has been developed/approved and I, too would question this. But this morning my main feelings were of relief and hope and I think if we can take just one day to focus on the positives, it may help those who have been affected by this the most, that they can finally also have some hope.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

It's a positive step even with all the doubts about how quickly it has been developed.

Even though the UK has become the first country to roll it out there are issues with consent.

Nursing staff and I'm assuming it applies to all NHS staff have been told they are not obliged to take it. If they decide not to they must sign a waiver giving up their right to sick pay if they get covid in the future.

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

While I'm still a bit reserved about me taking the vaccine just yet, isn't it fantastic what can be achieved when an incentive is there and the proper funding?

With the year that we've had I think we can all agree that hearing news like this is not only positive, but it almost seems like a little weight might just have be lifted from our shoulders.

Limerick

"While I'm still a bit reserved about me taking the vaccine just yet, isn't it fantastic what can be achieved when an incentive is there and the proper funding?

With the year that we've had I think we can all agree that hearing news like this is not only positive, but it almost seems like a little weight might just have be lifted from our shoulders."

100%

Limerick

"It's a positive step even with all the doubts about how quickly it has been developed.

Even though the UK has become the first country to roll it out there are issues with consent.

Nursing staff and I'm assuming it applies to all NHS staff have been told they are not obliged to take it. If they decide not to they must sign a waiver giving up their right to sick pay if they get covid in the future. "

Yes that's worrying for them of course, but let's focus on the hope that today has brought so many unhappy people

It’s great. The light at the end of this shitty tunnel is finally beginning to shine a little !

Limerick

"It’s great. The light at the end of this shitty tunnel is finally beginning to shine a little ! "

That's the stuff

Great news

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

It is good news and hopefully the start of the end of this.

I have decided that when I'm offered it I will take it. I've debated it over the last few weeks and decided to go ahead and take it.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

"It is good news and hopefully the start of the end of this.

I have decided that when I'm offered it I will take it. I've debated it over the last few weeks and decided to go ahead and take it.

"

Queue every bloke that hasn't read the thread sending you messages Bo

Somewhere in Co. Down

Queue every bloke that hasn't read the thread sending you messages Bo"

Limerick

Queue every bloke that hasn't read the thread sending you messages Bo"

I found it an incredibly emotional morning. There have been many times during all this when, despite my determination to just get on with life the best I can, I've felt completely devoid of hope. I've watched the shift from "we're all in this together" where community spirit soared,to some completely distasteful and warped survival of the fittest and despaired for what we've become.

Today the clouds parted a little and I'm truly thankful for those who have helped bring this day about

By *edro50Man  over a year ago

enniskillen

I hope this gives us all about of hope to start the new year with and not to forget those people whos family have gone through the darkest of days.i hope this gives them some peace that they won't have to live through those times again too soon!my hopes and prayers are with everyone in the world right now.peace and love.xxx

By *lassy lady 216Woman  over a year ago

Craigavon

Its a fantastic day even though i have some doubts about it i have decided after much deliberation that i will take it but i cant help but think of those who unfortunately didnt make it through this and who arent here to see this day my thoughts and prayers are with them and their families xo

Limerick

Thanks all for the comments, we need positivity now and if course some constructive debate but definitely no negativity.

Today is a good day

It is great news

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

This IS great news. we need as many vaccines and drugs to alleviate symptoms as we can find, to help anybody who is susceptible to being hospitalised with this horrible disease

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

Vaccine on its way, Xmas is coming. Its the gift we needed

By *callycatMan  over a year ago

Mid Wales

Grateful thanks to the scientists, our NHS and to the volunteers who all helped us to reach this wonderful day.

By *ent in BlackMan  over a year ago

Silsden

It’s great news. Hopefully we’ll see the end of this soon.

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple  over a year ago

norwich

"

Nursing staff and I'm assuming it applies to all NHS staff have been told they are not obliged to take it. If they decide not to they must sign a waiver giving up their right to sick pay if they get covid in the future. "

I have just tried to find any information to back up that claim and can not. Could you direct me to some please.

Sounds like that could be legally seen as compelling staff to take the vaccine and therefore illegal

ribble valley

"

Nursing staff and I'm assuming it applies to all NHS staff have been told they are not obliged to take it. If they decide not to they must sign a waiver giving up their right to sick pay if they get covid in the future.

I have just tried to find any information to back up that claim and can not. Could you direct me to some please.

Sounds like that could be legally seen as compelling staff to take the vaccine and therefore illegal "

I'm sure the nursing unions would be up in arms, if was illegal.

Silsden

I’ll ask my wife when she’s home. She’s an NHS nurse.

ribble valley

I would have presumed the vast majority of nurses would have it anyway if they are able to. I don't really know tho?

Somewhere in Co. Down

[Removed by poster at 08/12/20 15:13:54]

Somewhere in Co. Down

"

Sounds like that could be legally seen as compelling staff to take the vaccine and therefore illegal "

It is actually something that has been mentioned in a few work places as in care homes, assisted living homes etc as well as hospitals. We are told it is entirely up to us if we take it or not but it is recommended that we do. Plus if we refuse at present to take it we will be put at the bottom of the list then if we decide we want to later on.

I have decided to take it anyhow as I already mentioned above as I can't see a lot changing until a lot get the vaccine.

"It's a positive step even with all the doubts about how quickly it has been developed.

Complete hogwash. Fact. How would this even work? Staff would come into work sick etc. These same rumours do the rounds every year for the flu vaccine amongst staff.

100% agreement in praise of the people that have made this possible, the NHS, care and key workers that have sacrificed so much for this. Thoughts and sadness for the ones that were unable to see this day, and their families and friends, and finally, thanks for all those that volunteered for the vaccine tests... Respect!

Silsden

My wife says that her trust is not saying this at all.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Complete hogwash. Fact. How would this even work? Staff would come into work sick etc. These same rumours do the rounds every year for the flu vaccine amongst staff."

This is the case in the private sector we are a mental health charity and we have been told if we don’t have the flu vaccine we won’t get paid if off sick .... I’m not having either !!!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's lovely to see her getting it and building hope. Great too how the decades of work have been streamlined this year, with their culmination having the unnecessary gaps and delays lessened, by the priority to help people like her and the real of society, to protect our wellbeing

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

Where is that nugget of illegal info from?

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

It appears that the second person to get it was William Shakespeare, an 81 year old man from... Warwickshire.

Laughter aside, this is a fantastic example of what mankind can do when they all pull in the same direction.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Complete twaddle..

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"It appears that the second person to get it was William Shakespeare, an 81 year old man from... Warwickshire.

Laughter aside, this is a fantastic example of what mankind can do when they all pull in the same direction. "

That is correct re William Shakespeare. If Margaret Keenan is classified as patient 1A, does that mean that William Shakespeare is 2B or not 2B - that is the question

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

"Yes it was nice to hear it and the people in Belfast getting it "

She was given the vaccine in Coventry.

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Yes it was nice to hear it and the people in Belfast getting it

She was given the vaccine in Coventry. "

It was given in Belfast as well this morning. I think that is what the person meant.

Limerick

"It appears that the second person to get it was William Shakespeare, an 81 year old man from... Warwickshire.

Laughter aside, this is a fantastic example of what mankind can do when they all pull in the same direction.

That is correct re William Shakespeare. If Margaret Keenan is classified as patient 1A, does that mean that William Shakespeare is 2B or not 2B - that is the question "

Loving the positivity and good vibes today

Belfast

Complete twaddle..

"

If you'd care to read some of the comments above about this begging the case.

It is most definitely not a rumour.

A friend who is responsible for more than 100 nurses was instructed to pass this information to her staff last week in preparation for the rollout.

I don't work for the NHS but I've no reason to doubt her.

I asked admin to remove my original comment this morning when I realised it wasn't in the spirit of the op's positive thread but they haven't done so.

Complete twaddle..

A friend who is responsible for more than 100 nurses was instructed to pass this information to her staff last week in preparation for the rollout.

I asked admin to remove my original comment this morning when I realised it wasn't in the spirit of the op's positive thread but they haven't done so. "

No it wasn't in the spirit of the thread at all but I don't think you meant it to be negative really.

However it is nonsense about sick pay. My partner is a clinical manager in one of the trusts here and she says it is patently not true. I also have a pal who is in one of the unions and he says it is completely untrue. And that is good enough for me.

Incidentally my partner told me that the uptake of the regular yearly flu vaccine is usually in and around 50% uptake which considering the risks and the fact its free surprises me.

in Lancashire

Complete twaddle..

I asked admin to remove my original comment this morning when I realised it wasn't in the spirit of the op's positive thread but they haven't done so. "

My wife is a nurse, there are seven other NHS professionals in the direct family, a close friend is working at doctorate level in one part of the country and at the other end where we lived in the south we have several friends also currently working in the job..

As someone else stated it's unlawful..

Belfast

Complete twaddle..

I asked admin to remove my original comment this morning when I realised it wasn't in the spirit of the op's positive thread but they haven't done so.

No it wasn't in the spirit of the thread at all but I don't think you meant it to be negative really.

However it is nonsense about sick pay. My partner is a clinical manager in one of the trusts here and she says it is patently not true. I also have a pal who is in one of the unions and he says it is completely untrue. And that is good enough for me.

Incidentally my partner told me that the uptake of the regular yearly flu vaccine is usually in and around 50% uptake which considering the risks and the fact its free surprises me."

The info was from a trust in England where she is a CSM. Beyond that I have no other details so I'll say no more on the subject.

Somewhere in Co. Down

Complete twaddle..

Incidentally my partner told me that the uptake of the regular yearly flu vaccine is usually in and around 50% uptake which considering the risks and the fact its free surprises me."

It has been mentioned to senior staff where I work that we will get statutory sick pay only which is under a 100 a week if we refuse the vaccine and get covid. At present we are meant to be paid our wages if we get it and are out of work. Personally I know I could not survive on stat sick pay alone.

in Lancashire

Complete twaddle..

Incidentally my partner told me that the uptake of the regular yearly flu vaccine is usually in and around 50% uptake which considering the risks and the fact its free surprises me.

It has been mentioned to senior staff where I work that we will get statutory sick pay only which is under a 100 a week if we refuse the vaccine and get covid. At present we are meant to be paid our wages if we get it and are out of work. Personally I know I could not survive on stat sick pay alone. "

If that's the case in any workplace you will have that written down as part of your contract, even 'custom and practice has protection'..

If some manager is saying it ask for it in writing or speak to your representative body if applicable..

And the news gets even better. The Lancet has published today that the Oxford vaccine is safe and effective. This will be a huge boost given its storage requirements, that of a normal fridge

Silsden

"And the news gets even better. The Lancet has published today that the Oxford vaccine is safe and effective. This will be a huge boost given its storage requirements, that of a normal fridge "

That is fantastic news! I hope they can get it out there quickly too.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"And the news gets even better. The Lancet has published today that the Oxford vaccine is safe and effective. This will be a huge boost given its storage requirements, that of a normal fridge "

Brilliant news!!!

Lovely post OP xx

There is light at the end of the tunnel

By * F 2018Couple  over a year ago

shropshire

"This may come across as just another Covid thread, but please hear/read me out.

Reading this morning about Margaret Keenan, a 90 year-old lady from Fermanagh being first to receive the clinically approved Pfizer vaccine this morning. I actually shed a tear, a mixture of relief and hope washing over me. My reaction surprised me as I actually enjoyed the slower pace of life, but immediately my thoughts went to my parents, parents-in-law and other vulnerable members of my family and friends who I can finally hug again soon after all this time.

Please no negative comments, this is hopefully a positive thread to highlight that this is the beginning of the end of this horrible time which took us all completely by surprise.

Merry Christmas all!

Mrs "

I know what you mean ... its a ray of hope that thing with get back to some normality

Limerick

Great news indeed

» Add a new message to this topic