FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Maintaing Friendships after Covid-19

Maintaing Friendships after Covid-19

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *inkySeeKinkyDo OP   Woman  over a year ago

'tween PontyCarlo & CasVegas in West Yorks

The pandemic has done so much damage to peoples lives so far...but how are your friendships and family relationships faring?

I have at 5 family members and 2 friends who are using social media to constantly share their very extreme and negative views, various ridiculous conspiracy theories, and generally behaving like fanatical lunatics day in day out, so much so that i really dont want to associate with any of them in the future.

Are you experiencing this, and how will you deal with it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Thankfully I'm fortunate to not have anyone I'm close to who's behaving this way. I don't use social media and just rely on calls and texts.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Thankfully I'm fortunate to not have anyone I'm close to who's behaving this way. I don't use social media and just rely on calls and texts. "

This.

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

None of my family are that deranged and my friends are friends because we are like minded so no problems there.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Fab and Instagram are pretty much only the social media I use.

I found Facebook and the drama it entails usually from people I hardly know tiresome so I got rid. Was a great decision.

"Thankfully I'm fortunate to not have anyone I'm close to who's behaving this way. I don't use social media and just rely on calls and texts. "

Im just about ready to ditch it i think!

"None of my family are that deranged and my friends are friends because we are like minded so no problems there."

I honestly didnt expect this kind of behaviour from any of them

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

"None of my family are that deranged and my friends are friends because we are like minded so no problems there.

I honestly didnt expect this kind of behaviour from any of them"

Cutting the wrong people out of your life is a refreshing thing to do as it removes negativity.

"Fab and Instagram are pretty much only the social media I use.

I found Facebook and the drama it entails usually from people I hardly know tiresome so I got rid. Was a great decision. "

I generally just use fb for keeping in touch with family who live abroad, i dont get involved in the drama...and ive no idea how to use Instagram or Twitter or Snapchat thankfully...one platform is quite enough

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Thankfully not experiencing any of this from close friends or family. If I was then I reckon tgey would be ditched....nutters!!

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

When it's your own mother acting like this, it's very difficult to just say ditch her.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"When it's your own mother acting like this, it's very difficult to just say ditch her."

This is what my kids would say about me Lol! yes u cant ditch yr family! X

I remember years back when FB first started to become popular, some wise chap said "FB is a way of staying in touch with people you don't really want to stay in touch with." Still makes me laugh.

We all have different ways of expressing our worries, fear and frustrations. Some are able to share them at an early stage, some are not. It's not surprising that many struggle to distinguish what's really true and what is wrapped up enough in a kernel of truth to be plausible. We have immediate access to millions of info bites every hr and little time is given to allow processing of what is true or not as feeds keep on coming.

Loneliness has created many false hopes even before the pandemic and now it's become a pandemic in its own right.

I'd encourage you not to just dump those friends who are struggling and try and separate who they are to you and what they are saying during these difficult times. It will pass and we will all look back and hopefully learn from this.

We don't all struggle with difficulties in the same way. You or I might find ourselves in a similar situation in the future where we're not coping well and feel others don't care.

Be there, listen, allow time because we'll need the same from others sometime too.

Fear does funny things to even the most normal of people.

I have one idiot friend who says it's all a conspiracy! No one ever had it! And it's just lies to control us! He's sending stupid memes on a what's app group all the time about being force fed lies and propoganda. So much so a few of us have left the groups he's in. But same fella says he's wearing a mask to protect his nan when he goes to see her. Can't make it up! Won't be mixing with him for much longer.

I don't know anyone personally who denies covid or its effects but a lot of my friends aren't following social distancing rules, although they are wearing masks.

I also find that my parents have been really susceptible to conspiracy theories and misinformation spread by social media and some of their friends. I think this is in part to their age and being less savvy about fake news and scaremongering online. They do get it after I explain why what they're hearing is wrong but it's frustrating. There's been a lot of lecturing in this house during this pandemic...

Tbh the only downside about all this coming to an end is that I won't be able to filter out and block certain people anymore. Asking to meet during a pandemic is such a great indicator of one's character.

"Tbh the only downside about all this coming to an end is that I won't be able to filter out and block certain people anymore. Asking to meet during a pandemic is such a great indicator of one's character. "

I don't have many new feeds anymore lol

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Fear does funny things to even the most normal of people."

My mother wasn't normal before all this

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"The pandemic has done so much damage to peoples lives so far...but how are your friendships and family relationships faring?

I have at 5 family members and 2 friends who are using social media to constantly share their very extreme and negative views, various ridiculous conspiracy theories, and generally behaving like fanatical lunatics day in day out, so much so that i really dont want to associate with any of them in the future.

Are you experiencing this, and how will you deal with it? "

My oldest friend, a guy who I’ve literally been friends with since I was a toddler has gone full on with right wing, anti immigrant, Covid denial and anti vax stuff on Facebook. I’ve had to unfriendly him on there.

He wants to meet up with myself and another friend after Christmas and I’m at the point of saying no.

I’d be able to let it slide as “difference of opinion” if he hadn’t got abusive with me about it online, but as it is I can only see this being an end to a 45 year friendship

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"The pandemic has done so much damage to peoples lives so far...but how are your friendships and family relationships faring?

It has happened with one friend only but mainly I have become closer to my friends and feel are friendships are better than before.We have learned to apreciate and understand each other better.

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

You should leave Normanton immediately

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I've found those that are pro vaccine the absolute worst with thier bullying tactics and extreme views. I'm not anti anything, just pro choice.

No, if anything the more extreme views have mellowed, but everyone is both more politically aware and active in areas they would like to see progress. Relationships and friendships are still quite strong. However the next few weeks and months may cause some strain, hopefully the light of the vaccine will help. As we have seven extremely and very vulnerable adults in the extended family, and five health and care workers, the vacccine is something that unites rather than divides the family.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

There are some people who luckily for them can afford or who have chosen to carry on as "normal". For most people this has caused massive disruption, strain, emotional, financial, social. People aren't generally very good when pressured and we are seeing that. We have a 24 / 7 media which is rampantly perpetuating myth after myth, division after division, rabidly and unforgiving going after people who either make mistakes or sometimes make wrong choices. Everyone deserves a second chance. Nobody is perfect. And we are stronger together. Try to forgive a little more, judge a little less and be kind to those you care about every day.

Tbh I've not come across any misinformation, scaremongering etc from contacts on my FB account, and if I did they'd get one warning and next time blocked. I think by far and away the worst culprit for it (excluding media) that I've seen has been the FAB forums, it's been rife with it.

By *iss LovelyWoman  over a year ago

Here and There

My step sister, who I was never all that close with, has really shown her true colours. She’s the first one to slag off everyone she thinks isn’t sticking to the rules and keeps posting unpleasant, passive aggressive posts on FB about it, usually with a bit of racism for good measure, but this past weekend travelled to a Tier area for Sunday lunch (we’re Tier 3).

I’ve got 2 or 3 Facebook friends who’re really going all out with the conspiracy theory stuff. Some of the stuff they come up with really does astonish me.

Some of my friendships seem to have fallen away too which is a shame. Some through me being wrapped up in keeping my head above water, and some because others are doing the same. It’s been a strange year for sure.

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

I have social media and real friend across the whole spectrum of the arguments both the virus and politics in general, I myself tend to be more central. I don’t like the echo chamber you can find yourself in because of a friends views on a given subject you don’t have to agree with someone to see the good in them.

ashford

"I have social media and real friend across the whole spectrum of the arguments both the virus and politics in general, I myself tend to be more central. I don’t like the echo chamber you can find yourself in because of a friends views on a given subject you don’t have to agree with someone to see the good in them."

That's a lovely attitude I agree x

"Fear does funny things to even the most normal of people.

My mother wasn't normal before all this "

It's certainly been much harder for those who were struggling even before the pandemic.

ashford

"Fear does funny things to even the most normal of people.

My mother wasn't normal before all this

It's certainly been much harder for those who were struggling even before the pandemic."

My kids tell me I've never been normal! Lmfao! X

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I dont experience this with my family or friends as we hold the same view about it

» Add a new message to this topic