FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Terminally ill vaccination

Terminally ill vaccination

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There has ben a campaign launched to put terminally ill people at the top of the vaccination list.

Do you have sympathy with this...moving them up the pecking order? Or do you think it would be wasteful giving the vaccine to people who may only have months to live anyway ahead of others with a lifetime agead of them?

Tricky one!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ahead*

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Would have to be judged on individual cases, re quality of life like any other medicine. Total number of terminally ill people who would benefit is probably quite small compared to vaccine supply.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No problem with it personally. If one of my loved ones was terminally ill I'd want them to have priority.

Medical staff have to make some awful decisions I wouldn't want to see one more added to that list in the shape of deciding vaccination priority based on time left to live

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

From cradle to grave

Of course they should have priority - quality of life at end of life.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"There has ben a campaign launched to put terminally ill people at the top of the vaccination list.

Do you have sympathy with this...moving them up the pecking order? Or do you think it would be wasteful giving the vaccine to people who may only have months to live anyway ahead of others with a lifetime agead of them?

Tricky one!"

That's like those saying that the death toll doesn't mean anything because it was mostly old and extremely or terminally ill people. Some humans are just straight up cold.

"There has ben a campaign launched to put terminally ill people at the top of the vaccination list.

Tricky one!

That's like those saying that the death toll doesn't mean anything because it was mostly old and extremely or terminally ill people. Some humans are just straight up cold. "

Sorry I misunderstood your post! I thought you said people were campaigning AGAINST it. But the sentiment still remains.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

My sister in law was terminal for 7 years, I think it would have to be done on an individual basis. If they had some hope of quality of life still as she did up to the end, then maybe yes.

By *ancelot1633Man  over a year ago

margate

As a rule, put them ahead for sure, bearing in mind that there will always be some individual cases in both where this doesn’t seem right or fair.

By *ancelot1633Man  over a year ago

margate

"No problem with it personally. If one of my loved ones was terminally ill I'd want them to have priority.

Medical staff have to make some awful decisions I wouldn't want to see one more added to that list in the shape of deciding vaccination priority based on time left to live"

Absolutely agree with all the above

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Tricky one!"

No not tricky at all, a month of two of a bit more freedom to feel safe with their families i will be happy to wait a bit longer.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

[Removed by poster at 09/12/20 16:42:10]

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Giving people the chance to see and hug their loved ones before they die is absolutely worth it.

Wouldn't everyone want that for themselves?

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"Giving people the chance to see and hug their loved ones before they die is absolutely worth it.

Wouldn't everyone want that for themselves? "

Definitely

[Removed by poster at 09/12/20 18:16:45]

By *ess n BenCouple  over a year ago

Didcot

"Giving people the chance to see and hug their loved ones before they die is absolutely worth it.

Well said

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm fine with this.

My grandmother is terminally ill, she has a few months at best. I really hope she gets the vaccine soon so that we can make the most of the time we have with her.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

Who on earth would begrudge someone living a free life for their last few months - I can’t believe this is even a question.

South

Tricky one!"

TRICKY??? Tricky??!!!!! What? Not tricky at all not even for a second it’s obvious. Show compassion show love and done be a selfish arsehole.

Tricky one!

TRICKY??? Tricky??!!!!! What? Not tricky at all not even for a second it’s obvious. Show compassion show love and done be a selfish arsehole. "

I'm so glad most forumites don't swing!

Maybe we should move heartless people to the bottom of the list because they contribute nothing to humanity?

OP there is no shortage of vaccines. Your philosophy of eugenics puts you just behind Hitler on my Christmas card list.

here

a very reasonable moral question to be asking, which ordinarily would encourage an intelligent discussion.

This is of course fab forums

"a very reasonable moral question to be asking, which ordinarily would encourage an intelligent discussion.

This is of course fab forums "

Unless of course someone you love is terminally ill. Then it's extremely hurtful and insensitive.

I don't know anyone terminally ill but still find eugenics repulsive.

here

"a very reasonable moral question to be asking, which ordinarily would encourage an intelligent discussion.

Unless of course someone you love is terminally ill. Then it's extremely hurtful and insensitive.

I don't know anyone terminally ill but still find eugenics repulsive. "

The OP asked a question - why is it so difficult to have a reasonable discussion without brandishing him as having a philosophy which you have created in order you can project your emotive response in an aggressive manner?

South

This is of course fab forums "

How on earth would anyone with any moral fibre or intellect at all even contemplate the answer being ‘no I won’t waste a vaccine on you as your life isn’t worth it’

That’s not worthy of debate

South

I don't know anyone terminally ill but still find eugenics repulsive.

The OP asked a question - why is it so difficult to have a reasonable discussion without brandishing him as having a philosophy which you have created in order you can project your emotive response in an aggressive manner?"

How can anyone not respond in an emotive way .. discussing not allowing terminally ill people to get vaccinated first is abhorrent and doesn’t deserve cools detached debate.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

If the patient is able to take a vaccine then I see no ethical, moral or practical reason why they shouldn't be moved up the list.

I want vaccinating, but I'd happily do the right thing and wait a bit longer if that's what's needed.

By *hickennchipsWoman  over a year ago

up above the streets and houses

My terminally ill relative has made it very clear she does not want a vaccine ‘wasted’ on her when she is going to die anyway. There’s another side for you to contemplate

here

... and yet I am sure there are very similar non covid medical and care decisions having to be made every day in hospitals up and down the country.

South

"My terminally ill relative has made it very clear she does not want a vaccine ‘wasted’ on her when she is going to die anyway. There’s another side for you to contemplate "

Her choice to decide then but she should have the opportunity - a few months would make all the difference to lots of people who would t decline.

South

"... and yet I am sure there are very similar non covid medical and care decisions having to be made every day in hospitals up and down the country."

For example?

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

My partner was terminally ill for 16months ... he would of said no ... and given it to someone else ... he didn’t want to die ... but it happened

here

"My partner was terminally ill for 16months ... he would of said no ... and given it to someone else ... he didn’t want to die ... but it happened

"

Thank you for sharing this

"... and yet I am sure there are very similar non covid medical and care decisions having to be made every day in hospitals up and down the country."

Aw shame! Did I hurt your feelings when I objected to the idea of sending someone to an early grave?

If you don't want a strong response to a repulsive question don't ask it.

Why are all the cruel, insensitive people on this forum so touchy when they get back what they dish out?

By *alerieCouple  over a year ago

Close by

. Exactly this !

South

"... and yet I am sure there are very similar non covid medical and care decisions having to be made every day in hospitals up and down the country.

Aw shame! Did I hurt your feelings when I objected to the idea of sending someone to an early grave?

Why are all the cruel, insensitive people on this forum so touchy when they get back what they dish out?"

Excellent response that man

here

"My terminally ill relative has made it very clear she does not want a vaccine ‘wasted’ on her when she is going to die anyway. There’s another side for you to contemplate "

How do you feel about their choice ?

"My terminally ill relative has made it very clear she does not want a vaccine ‘wasted’ on her when she is going to die anyway. There’s another side for you to contemplate

How do you feel about their choice ?"

I respect it

By *d4fun73Man  over a year ago

Shipley

They should be giving the vaccine to the working population first.

"My terminally ill relative has made it very clear she does not want a vaccine ‘wasted’ on her when she is going to die anyway. There’s another side for you to contemplate

This whole thread is based on the premise that the purpose of the vaccine is for personal protection. This vaccine, like all vaccines is intended to achieve herd immunity. There is nothing noble about refusing the vaccine. It's just another way of saying I don't care if I become a conduit for the spread of the virus.

How many times does this concept have to be repeated before it sinks in?

I maybe have a different view on this.

My auntie had motor neurone disease. She was dying and had zero quality of life. She wanted to die so in her case as someone that is terminally ill then in my mind she should not have received the vaccine.

On the other side of this. I think those that can live whatever life they have left with less fear and more quality should be put to the front of the queue. Let them see their family, hug them, be close to them and even say goodbye.

I think it’s something that should be done case by case

"They should be giving the vaccine to the working population first. "

They should be giving it to the vulnerable first because they are the reason why herd immunity isn't a viable option.

I respect it

"I maybe have a different view on this.

My auntie had motor neurone disease. She was dying and had zero quality of life. She wanted to die so in her case as someone that is terminally ill then in my mind she should not have received the vaccine.

On the other side of this. I think those that can live whatever life they have left with less fear and more quality should be put to the front of the queue. Let them see their family, hug them, be close to them and even say goodbye.

I think it’s something that should be done case by case "

I am sorry to hear about your auntie

But let's say her or a person like her didn't get vaccinated and contracted Covid-19. And the NHS person treating her, say a 30 year old nurse (who for medical reasons couldn't be vaccinated) with 3 children caught it from her and died...

What then?

South

This whole thread is based on the premise that the purpose of the vaccine is for personal protection. This vaccine, like all vaccines is intended to achieve herd immunity. There is nothing noble about refusing the vaccine. It's just another way of saying I don't care if I become a conduit for the spread of the virus.

How many times does this concept have to be repeated before it sinks in?"

Mind blowing isn’t it ....

How many times does this concept have to be repeated before it sinks in?

Mind blowing isn’t it .... "

Before Covid-19 I thought that mankind had become self centered. Now I believe mankind has become self obsessed.

But let's say her or a person like her didn't get vaccinated and contracted Covid-19. And the NHS person treating her, say a 30 year old nurse (who for medical reasons couldn't be vaccinated) with 3 children caught it from her and died...

What then?"

It’s a good point. I guess not everything is just plain black and white.

I mean, you could look at this in a logical and statistical way and say that the nurses children are highly unlikely to get ill.... then again, they might, plus they could pass it on.

I suppose there are many variants in all of this and many sides to look at. All i know for sure is she didn’t want or need to live any longer than necessary. I suppose this could bring on a whole new euthanasia debate but it’s way too late for that!

What then?

I mean, you could look at this in a logical and statistical way and say that the nurses children are highly unlikely to get ill.... then again, they might, plus they could pass it on.

I suppose there are many variants in all of this and many sides to look at. All i know for sure is she didn’t want or need to live any longer than necessary. I suppose this could bring on a whole new euthanasia debate but it’s way too late for that! "

From my point of view it is black and white. If everyone for whom it is medically safe to be vaccinated, gets vaccinated then this dreadful disease will be gone by the end of summer.

If not we will live with the virus longer than need be and every death, every suicide from lockdown, every business gone bankrupt, every job lost, every penny our nation goes into debt will be needless.

We need to do what needs to be done. No ifs no buts. As a species we need to grow up and accept the responsibilities of adulthood and stop behaving like a bunch of spoiled children. Just my perspective.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

When you think some terminally ill people are in care homes, they haven't had visitors since March.

I don't begrudge them a few more weeks, with thier family around them.

What then?

I suppose there are many variants in all of this and many sides to look at. All i know for sure is she didn’t want or need to live any longer than necessary. I suppose this could bring on a whole new euthanasia debate but it’s way too late for that!

From my point of view it is black and white. If everyone for whom it is medically safe to be vaccinated, gets vaccinated then this dreadful disease will be gone by the end of summer.

If not we will live with the virus longer than need be and every death, every suicide from lockdown, every business gone bankrupt, every job lost, every penny our nation goes into debt will be needless.

We need to do what needs to be done. No ifs no buts. As a species we need to grow up and accept the responsibilities of adulthood and stop behaving like a bunch of spoiled children. Just my perspective. "

I totally get what your saying. I’m all for the vaccine myself and as I lost my job from this I see the financial and mental implications from it. I just also understand different opinions on it from this personal experience.

Luckily I ended up getting my job back which also helped my mental well-being as well as teaching me a good few lessons.

I also hope your not referring to me as being a spoiled child.

"My grandmother is terminally ill, she has a few months at best. I really hope she gets the vaccine soon so that we can make the most of the time we have with her. "

I really hope she does too.

I hope you all get to spend some quality time together.

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

If it were up to me they'd definitely be front of the queue. Get as much as possible out of the time that's left with family and friends x

What then?

We need to do what needs to be done. No ifs no buts. As a species we need to grow up and accept the responsibilities of adulthood and stop behaving like a bunch of spoiled children. Just my perspective.

I totally get what your saying. I’m all for the vaccine myself and as I lost my job from this I see the financial and mental implications from it. I just also understand different opinions on it from this personal experience.

Luckily I ended up getting my job back which also helped my mental well-being as well as teaching me a good few lessons.

I also hope your not referring to me as being a spoiled child. "

It's for people like you I am trying to make a difference. Personally I've done well with covid. I've taken bad situations and turned them around. So this isn't a personal crusade. If seen what it does do others and their tragedy had touched me deeply and reminded me how lucky I have been. That's why my heart bleeds for those affected, and I just want give the world a kick in the pants and say snap out of your bullshit.

No my friend. A said our species as a whole need to grow up. 100 years ago people would have queued down the street to get a vaccine these snowflakes are turning there noses up at.

"My grandmother is terminally ill, she has a few months at best. I really hope she gets the vaccine soon so that we can make the most of the time we have with her.

I really hope she does too.

I hope you all get to spend some quality time together. "

I hope so too. My thoughts are with the grandmother and everyone in their situation its such a sad part of life

What then?

It's for people like you I am trying to make a difference. Personally I've done well with covid. I've taken bad situations and turned them around. So this isn't a personal crusade. If seen what it does do others and their tragedy had touched me deeply and reminded me how lucky I have been. That's why my heart bleeds for those affected, and I just want give the world a kick in the pants and say snap out of your bullshit.

No my friend. A said our species as a whole need to grow up. 100 years ago people would have queued down the street to get a vaccine these snowflakes are turning there noses up at."

Well thank god for that... I didn’t want to have to fight you as my six pack is in the fridge unlike yours so I’d have lost!

What then?

No my friend. A said our species as a whole need to grow up. 100 years ago people would have queued down the street to get a vaccine these snowflakes are turning there noses up at.

Well thank god for that... I didn’t want to have to fight you as my six pack is in the fridge unlike yours so I’d have lost! "

Oh no that would never happen I like to make friends, party, and not take lfe seriously. Speaking of which my beers are in the fridge. And they're calling me...

That's really sad I couldn't imagine hearing someone I love say that.

By *d4fun73Man  over a year ago

Shipley

"They should be giving the vaccine to the working population first.

They should be giving it to the vulnerable first because they are the reason why herd immunity isn't a viable option."

Rubbish. If you give it the population that are spreading it then it will cut the infection rate off.

By *ensual but naughtyCouple  over a year ago

Suffolk

They should be giving it to the vulnerable first because they are the reason why herd immunity isn't a viable option.

Rubbish. If you give it the population that are spreading it then it will cut the infection rate off. "

Not quite rubbish, but your argument is sound except for the fact we would need billions of vaccine doses from the off and that's not possible so the only choice is to protect the vulnerable and key workers first.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"From cradle to grave

Of course they should have priority - quality of life at end of life.

"

I agree it’s not that we will all die it the way you go that matters

Rubbish. If you give it the population that are spreading it then it will cut the infection rate off.

Not quite rubbish, but your argument is sound except for the fact we would need billions of vaccine doses from the off and that's not possible so the only choice is to protect the vulnerable and key workers first."

Its not a sound argument at all because we only know that the vaccine currently available has a high chance of protecting the individual from getting seriously ill, it is unknown as to whether it prevents transmission

Didn't they start producing these vaccines months ahead of approval so they would have enough?

If the vaccine works by fooling the body into producing antibodies? Surely it takes time for this to happen and differs from person to person? Surely on this basis they can't guarantee that the vaccine will prevent transmission but is this the same thing as saying it doesn't prevent transmission?

"... and yet I am sure there are very similar non covid medical and care decisions having to be made every day in hospitals up and down the country.

Why are all the cruel, insensitive people on this forum so touchy when they get back what they dish out?"

its gone completely over my head what he said that was so repulsive?

the OP also raised a perfectly valid moral dilemma and a few people have already shared their stories of having loved ones who were/are terminal who can see there is more than one viewpoint to be had here

How many times does this concept have to be repeated before it sinks in?"

its noble in this case because by refusing if when terminal you can allow someone else who will be more like to remain “in the herd” to have it sooner

I think it’s something that should be done case by case "

totally agree ... difficult decisions for people to be responsible for though

They should be giving it to the vulnerable first because they are the reason why herd immunity isn't a viable option."

the purpose of the vaccine is exactly herd immunity

the purpose of the vaccine is exactly herd immunity "

That's what I meant. Sorry maybe I should have said "was". My bad. Before herd immunity wasn't an option because of the unacceptabley high death rate of the vulnerable.

Once the vulnerable are safe herd immunity becomes an option. Once the vaccine is rolled out to the rest of the population herd immunity will become a reality.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Tricky one!"

We're all terminally ill mate.

Tricky one!"

What difference is it going to make to the terminally ill.? Its their illness thats going to kill them not the virus. What will it allow them to do that they couldn't do before having it? Nothing as far as I can think. There won't be full normality until a major proportion of the population have it.. Ie months away.

» Add a new message to this topic