FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > How serious is covid to the future of humanity?

How serious is covid to the future of humanity?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

I know there’s a covid group page section, but I’m just wandering how much danger is mankind in?

Covid mutates and new strains are forming, more vigorous than the previous one, are we looking at a doomsday scenario here?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS  over a year ago

doncaster

Mutations are usually weaker , the virus needs to thrive

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

To mankind. Zero danger.

It is nowhere near an extinction event. Plastic waste, cutting down of rainforests etc are much more of a threat

Cars and their pollution kill more people most likely. Perhaps we ought to get rid of those.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Humanity has certainly seen and survived far worse than Covid; Spanish Flu for instance killed in excess of 50 million people worldwide.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Mankind are in more danger from what we do to the planet than we are from the virus, science they work hard on for people but still lagging behind on what we can do for the planet. The virus had a plus in that travel was reduced, along with it pollution levels and natural wildlife thrived

Economies is the next danger. Alot of countries hurting from the economic costs of covid.

"I know there’s a covid group page section, but I’m just wandering how much danger is mankind in?

Covid mutates and new strains are forming, more vigorous than the previous one, are we looking at a doomsday scenario here?

"

Who told you that new mutations are more vigorous?

It's usually the opposite.

Why would a virus want mutate to kill more hosts?

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Economies is the next danger. Alot of countries hurting from the economic costs of covid."

True, they say history repeats itself are we heading into another global depression

By *leasure4leisureMan  over a year ago

south

"Economies is the next danger. Alot of countries hurting from the economic costs of covid."

And will do for some considerable time too ;(

[Removed by poster at 15/12/20 20:02:01]

"Economies is the next danger. Alot of countries hurting from the economic costs of covid.

True, they say history repeats itself are we heading into another global depression"

Wars famine global homelessness. It's going to get crazier.

A eminent scientist put it very well today and said that trying to stop a virus with ridiculous and silly rules is like trying to stick leaves back on a tree to prevent Autumn. There may well be a virus that threatens human existence but this isn't it.

"Economies is the next danger. Alot of countries hurting from the economic costs of covid.

True, they say history repeats itself are we heading into another global depression

Wars famine global homelessness. It's going to get crazier."

The UN has warned the coronavirus pandemic will cause famine of biblical proportions in the 3rd world countries.

[Removed by poster at 15/12/20 20:14:44]

WW1 Economic collapse

WWII economic collapse

Cause and effects. Get ready for a rollercoaster ride.

Worlds population increases by 80,000,000 a year so whats a few million deaths in the scheme of things.

I wonder as we appear to spend all our time killing off everything else in our world if its us that's the virus lol

By *urham 3 riversMan  over a year ago

Co. Durham

Virus are there to strengthen the human race not kill them as only the finest servive

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"A eminent scientist put it very well today and said that trying to stop a virus with ridiculous and silly rules is like trying to stick leaves back on a tree to prevent Autumn. There may well be a virus that threatens human existence but this isn't it.

"

well the way everyone has gone on through this one then god help everyone when the next virus comes along. The, way the science has gone on with covid putting nothing but fear into everyone you would think armageddon was here already.

By *eorge JetsonMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

All I know is this....

I can't get to a dentist until the end of January cos my toothache isn't deemed an Emergency. J

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

"I know there’s a covid group page section, but I’m just wandering how much danger is mankind in?

"

The Doomsday we’re creating is the collateral damage of Covid, not the disease itself

The Doomsday we’re creating is the collateral damage of Covid, not the disease itself "

By *en_Dover79Man  over a year ago

Oswaldtwistle

more danger of Burnley winning the premier league

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"more danger of Burnley winning the premier league"

Someone said that about Leicester a few seasons back

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

i do not think so be gone in a couple of years and be a bloody nuisence like measles etc

First Spanish flu now this fucking Chinese flu.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Viruses are unintelligent, it's questionable that they are alive. Their mechanisms of reproduction via hosts that do it for them, shows an aspect of host vulnerability. The fact that Sars-Cov-2 can move between multiple species hints at its lack of need for us as well as its ability to come and go from our lives. It doesn't seem likely to result in our extinction based on its current trajectory. But it can move around, via other species, mutating anywhere and significant multiple mutations could realise a virus that's more severe in its effects, with higher proportions of the infected becoming severely affected, instead of the current minority and acquiring frequent mutations that cause repeat infections, progressively injuring and disabling people, potentially progressively killing them, just not in 1 hit. That's probably not too likely.

Our determination to have little respect for the natural world and protected ecosystems, is atrocious. We have almost no regard for wildlife, burning and clearing ancient forests and rainforests, whether for HS2 or to plant crops like palm oil palm species for rapid financial gain, to leave them depleted and wasted after a small amount of years, unless we can cultivate a tiny number of animal species for our greedy consumption, taking all we can, at what ever longer term costs. The glee of Trump supporters exiting the Paris climate change treaty shouts of the ignorant wilfulness of many, to care nothing for others or tomorrows world.

Many other viruses exist that would probably be harsher upon us. We may be fortunate to escape others for some time but we'll likely have new epidemics more frequently now that we continue with our invasion of wild ecosystems without care or protection for other species.

Antibiotic resistance js fairly sure to be a bigger killer in the short term, if we likewise continue with our exploitation of living conditions of the small number of animal species that we cultivate for our gain, at huge environmental cost to wildlife and whilst using antibiotics to fuel their unnatural growth. We are out of control as a species

Central

"First Spanish flu now this fucking Chinese flu. "

That's not been outlined in the scientific literature. Have you published research on it that's not been peer reviewed?

North West

"First Spanish flu now this fucking Chinese flu. "

Apart from them being 102 years apart. And this isn't flu. It's a coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) - a totally different viral family. Oh, and there's been a bunch of pandemics since 1918 (mainly of actual influenza). The last one was H1N1 swine influenza in 2009/10.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"WW1 Economic collapse

WWII economic collapse

Cause and effects. Get ready for a rollercoaster ride."

The great depression was in the 30s between the war

The great crash came 11 years after the war finished.

"First Spanish flu now this fucking Chinese flu.

Apart from them being 102 years apart. And this isn't flu. It's a coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) - a totally different viral family. Oh, and there's been a bunch of pandemics since 1918 (mainly of actual influenza). The last one was H1N1 swine influenza in 2009/10. "

I see the irony in that loaded statement of mine is lost on some

By *andyMinx_tvTV/TS  over a year ago

Leeds

"A eminent scientist put it very well today and said that trying to stop a virus with ridiculous and silly rules is like trying to stick leaves back on a tree to prevent Autumn. There may well be a virus that threatens human existence but this isn't it.

"

This is a thought provoking and intelligent comment from said scientist. Unfortunately the road sweepers trying to rid the footpaths of fallen leaves are causing more damage than the falling leaves themselves.

North West

Apart from them being 102 years apart. And this isn't flu. It's a coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) - a totally different viral family. Oh, and there's been a bunch of pandemics since 1918 (mainly of actual influenza). The last one was H1N1 swine influenza in 2009/10.

I see the irony in that loaded statement of mine is lost on some"

Obviously. You're far more ironic and probably other stuff too

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

lol well I'm already homeless

Obviously. You're far more ironic and probably other stuff too "

Other stuff too, definitely

North West

Other stuff too, definitely "

Jolly good

Jolly good "

If you can't see the lighthearted joke in that then I certainly don't know

North West

Jolly good

If you can't see the lighthearted joke in that then I certainly don't know"

I'm laughing so hard, I had to replace my Tena lady pants. The decent ones with flowers on. Not the cheap ones

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Coronavirus will keep mutating and be circulating probably ad-infinitum and keep presenting a threat to the most vulnerable despite vaccination.

However I would start to get very worried when something like Ebola (EVD) mutates into a more easily transmissible virus. Or combines itself with the common cold virus.

A global pandemic of EVD will be unimaginable.

A cheerful thought for the day....

North West

"Coronavirus will keep mutating and be circulating probably ad-infinitum and keep presenting a threat to the most vulnerable despite vaccination.

However I would start to get very worried when something like Ebola (EVD) mutates into a more easily transmissible virus. Or combines itself with the common cold virus.

A cheerful thought for the day...."

Ebola virus is already potentially mutating into strains that are less lethal (but still jolly nasty). Mortality is anywhere from about 25% up to 90-odd % with recent outbreaks having mortality rates in the order of about 40% ish.

"Coronavirus will keep mutating and be circulating probably ad-infinitum and keep presenting a threat to the most vulnerable despite vaccination.

Ebola virus is already potentially mutating into strains that are less lethal (but still jolly nasty). Mortality is anywhere from about 25% up to 90-odd % with recent outbreaks having mortality rates in the order of about 40% ish."

Mortality is 100%, it just has different timings.

By *uttyandbeeCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

"

Every one has had a cold but its not the same cold as the last one and it wont ne the same the next one you get, everyone is a different

North West

Ebola virus is already potentially mutating into strains that are less lethal (but still jolly nasty). Mortality is anywhere from about 25% up to 90-odd % with recent outbreaks having mortality rates in the order of about 40% ish.

Mortality is 100%, it just has different timings."

Indeed. I'm sure the parents of small children who died an horrific death from Ebola (with or without malaria at the same time) will be comforted to know it's just part of life's rich tapestry.

Ebola is one of those nasty diseases that genuinely does not discriminate. It will equally kill fit and healthy young people in their 20s as much as it kills school children and middle aged people. It's also really, really horrific. I don't think the fact that "everyone dies eventually" is really very relevant?

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

no a disease might thin us out but won't ultimately kill us as it needs to survive. it will get weaker so that we carry on with population and keep it going.

no one or more volcanoes, that might put us in real danger. look up i think krakatoa. that can affect whether the sun gets through, crop failure etc

Central

"no a disease might thin us out but won't ultimately kill us as it needs to survive. it will get weaker so that we carry on with population and keep it going.

no one or more volcanoes, that might put us in real danger. look up i think krakatoa. that can affect whether the sun gets through, crop failure etc"

This virus, like others, can live and reproduce in other animals, it doesn't have to have us around to continue to reproduce.

I don't see this causing our extinction through

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

We will survive it easily, although we should be more worried about the economy and the survival of the businesses.

By *am and LisaCouple  over a year ago

milton keynes

Not a threat to humanity ......successful viruses mutate and get weaker so that they can spread further and infect more people ....symptoms usually get weaker.

E.g Ebola Ebola kills so can be contained as has trouble spreading so dreadful but can be contained when it outbreaks

Coronavirus Death rate is currently 0.66% in uk there are 70 million people. so worse case scenario will still be 69.5 million .......but 500k people getting ill or worse is a lot This is about the availability of care to cope

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"We will survive it easily, although we should be more worried about the economy and the survival of the businesses."

The Economy will recover, it will take a few years, but recover it will.

Cal

"We will survive it easily, although we should be more worried about the economy and the survival of the businesses.

Cal"

Yes but it might he hard to recover for those who have already lost their busines or about to due to the lockdows. I say lockdows are more devastating than the virus.

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

"We will survive it easily, although we should be more worried about the economy and the survival of the businesses.

CalYes but it might he hard to recover for those who have already lost their busines or about to due to the lockdows. I say lockdows are more devastating than the virus."

I’ve been saying this for a while now and have taken untold amount of personal attacks and abuse for it. The damage this is doing, and not just financial is totally disproportionate

CalYes but it might he hard to recover for those who have already lost their busines or about to due to the lockdows. I say lockdows are more devastating than the virus.

I’ve been saying this for a while now and have taken untold amount of personal attacks and abuse for it. The damage this is doing, and not just financial is totally disproportionate "

Yes it is not good at all financially, lets hope the businesses will survive

» Add a new message to this topic