FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Key workers

Key workers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

I'm a key worker I don't work for the NHS which I think have done a fantastic job, I'm just a supermarket worker can I just say thank you for all the support and people who say you are doing a fantastic job we all appreciate it because some of the days during this year have been so hard and just one person saying thank you for what you are doing makes it worth while.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I with you on that one

chesterfield

"I with you on that one "

"I'm a key worker I don't work for the NHS which I think have done a fantastic job, I'm just a supermarket worker can I just say thank you for all the support and people who say you are doing a fantastic job we all appreciate it because some of the days during this year have been so hard and just one person saying thank you for what you are doing makes it worth while. "

Never see yourself as "just" a supermarket worker.

You all work incredibly hard, in an extremely busy environment.

And at times having to deal with rude, ignorant members of the public.

So thank you xx

My mrs is a careworker in a nursing home .

21 residents have died of covid there.

She wants a pay rise not thanks.

Minimum wage for what she has gone through this year is criminal.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"I'm a key worker I don't work for the NHS which I think have done a fantastic job, I'm just a supermarket worker can I just say thank you for all the support and people who say you are doing a fantastic job we all appreciate it because some of the days during this year have been so hard and just one person saying thank you for what you are doing makes it worth while. "

I always praise my local supermarket staff, they have been great and always smiling

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I am also a key worker over 60 & have some medical problems, one might think this would get me up the list for vaccination but no news yet, I expect the rich will be allowed to jump the que as normal

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"I am also a key worker over 60 & have some medical problems, one might think this would get me up the list for vaccination but no news yet, I expect the rich will be allowed to jump the que as normal "

It will depend on your job and what your medical problems are. The rich won't be able to jump the queue but they could buy the vaccine abroad. Good luck

By *uzie69xTV/TS  over a year ago

Maidstone

"My mrs is a careworker in a nursing home .

Minimum wage for what she has gone through this year is criminal. "

Haha yes, I think it was Groucho Marx who said, "the best compliment you can pay me is one I can put in me pocket!"

Too true! This government is nothing but empty words.

I hope you and Mrs keeping safe!

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"I'm a key worker I don't work for the NHS which I think have done a fantastic job, I'm just a supermarket worker can I just say thank you for all the support and people who say you are doing a fantastic job we all appreciate it because some of the days during this year have been so hard and just one person saying thank you for what you are doing makes it worth while.

So thank you xx "

One thing that this pandemic and subsequent lockdowns has shown is that it's the lowest paid workers of society that people don't really think about that has worked to keep everyone else'slife as normal as humanly possible during this crisis, yet are still at the bottom of the pay scale .

Haha yes, I think it was Groucho Marx who said, "the best compliment you can pay me is one I can put in me pocket!"

Too true! This government is nothing but empty words.

I hope you and Mrs keeping safe!"

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

I work in General practice.

I appreciate everything all keyworkers in any job role have done throughout this pandemic.

A lot go unrecognised and that is wrong. I always thank shop workers, delivery drivers, cleaners etc etc.

As a managers once told me never ever say "I am just" when describing your job.

We all have a role to play and are all essential.

I couldn't do my job without cleaners or receptionists and I've heard both describe themselves as "just" recently.

You are all valued and are as equally important as anyone else. Be proud of what you do and from me a very big THANK YOU.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

I fully agree with you.

Minimum wage is not enough for the hard work they do and responsibilities they have in care homes. Unfortunately I don't think it will ever change.

chesterfield

"I work in General practice.

I appreciate everything all keyworkers in any job role have done throughout this pandemic.

A lot go unrecognised and that is wrong. I always thank shop workers, delivery drivers, cleaners etc etc.

I couldn't do my job without cleaners or receptionists and I've heard both describe themselves as "just" recently.

You are all valued and are as equally important as anyone else. Be proud of what you do and from me a very big THANK YOU. "

By *iobhan123Woman  over a year ago

Deal

You are all valued and are as equally important as anyone else. Be proud of what you do and from me a very big THANK YOU. "

Me too, front line staff are incredibly important and yet undervalued and underpaid, my staff have been incredible this year and have been amazingly giving of their time and energy to help deliver the vaccine this week.x

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

1st people to feel the pinch are the ones who worked through the crises.

We worked all the way through and are thanked with a pay feeze.

"I'm a key worker I don't work for the NHS which I think have done a fantastic job, I'm just a supermarket worker can I just say thank you for all the support and people who say you are doing a fantastic job we all appreciate it because some of the days during this year have been so hard and just one person saying thank you for what you are doing makes it worth while.

So thank you xx

One thing that this pandemic and subsequent lockdowns has shown is that it's the lowest paid workers of society that people don't really think about that has worked to keep everyone else'slife as normal as humanly possible during this crisis, yet are still at the bottom of the pay scale ."

I couldn't agree with you more. And have constantly reminded many my colleagues (who can be job snobs), that's its the low earners and jobs they've looked down at previously that have been keeping the country going!

And for the record... I come from a working class background, which I'm extremely proud of!

I also work in the NHS and have continued to work throughout the pandemic.

I have continued to work throughout, sometimes working 16 - 17 hr days on 24hr call out, I work as a mobile tyre fitter who has an ambulance account, so I help keeping these vehicles moving along with the super markets, online retailers and delivery drivers etc. I'm paid a low wage but I do it for the love of the job, not the money. I have pride in what I do and that's all the praise n reward I need because without us and others like us, this country grinds to a halt x

I am about to start a job as a lifestyle coordinator in a nursing home in just over a week, I was made redundant earlier in the year and I am so looking forward to helping residents to stay busy during this awful time. I am also apprehensive too as was told they have cases in their home, I've kept myself mostly to myself for the past ten months so to go into somewhere there is confirmed cases is really scary but it's my ideal job and hours, so despite the risks involved (they gave me a choice if to start) I decided to bite the bullet and go for it, I figured there is more PPE (which they have never had a problem with) etc there, than in a supermarket currently.

Danish x

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

No one is ever ‘just’ anything. Every job is important. A friend from school works in a company that makes shower heads, etc and suddenly found himself classed as a key worker because they provide the equipment to the NHS. It gave him more purpose in his work and made him realise how important it was.

We shouldn’t take any job for granted.

chesterfield

"No one is ever ‘just’ anything. Every job is important. A friend from school works in a company that makes shower heads, etc and suddenly found himself classed as a key worker because they provide the equipment to the NHS. It gave him more purpose in his work and made him realise how important it was.

We shouldn’t take any job for granted. "

Thank you

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Well I apreciate al you do thankyou

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

The term key worker is a little fickle! Personally I think every job is a service to others in one way or another. I've been fortunate enough to have been able to work through each so called lockdown the people who really need help is the one's who have lost they're jobs not give key! Workers discounts at the supermarket or petrol station.

"The term key worker is a little fickle! Personally I think every job is a service to others in one way or another. I've been fortunate enough to have been able to work through each so called lockdown the people who really need help is the one's who have lost they're jobs not give key! Workers discounts at the supermarket or petrol station. "

its all relative to different people at different times

i feel really bad for people that have lost their jobs, but i feel equally as grateful to people who are out risking their lives (and their families) to keep the rest of us fed/ healthy/ educated / sanitary etc

most of the population have suffered this year ... maybe not in the same ways as each other but mostly all suffering none the less and plenty compassion to go around

By *ustbrowsing123555Man  over a year ago

Stockport

All key workers rule. If you worked through lock down 1 then you are the definition of a key worker. I'm a key worker too! we kept the country moving when it was in crisis.

Camarthen

"The term key worker is a little fickle! Personally I think every job is a service to others in one way or another. I've been fortunate enough to have been able to work through each so called lockdown the people who really need help is the one's who have lost they're jobs not give key! Workers discounts at the supermarket or petrol station.

i feel really bad for people that have lost their jobs, but i feel equally as grateful to people who are out risking their lives (and their families) to keep the rest of us fed/ healthy/ educated / sanitary etc

most of the population have suffered this year ... maybe not in the same ways as each other but mostly all suffering none the less and plenty compassion to go around "

There's no doubt that this has affected everyone irrespective of class and culture but the term annoys me to be honest, whole thing had been handled terribly yes there have been people who have little or no regard for ther people and the pressure that services are under but it takes the piss when certain professions who are on full pay will get a discount at a supermarket when someone who has claimed a grant from being unable to work will also pay tax on that money.

i understand your frustration but i feel its being pointed in the wrong direction

supermarkets are private companies, offering a small discount to show appreciation for other vocations that are also putting themselves at risk

its not in any way linked to the govt deciding those grants are taxable , and feeling pissed off at them wont make the grant any less taxable

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

So thank you xx "

. As Sarah123 has already said never see yourself as just a supermarket worker as you are the guys dealing with everyone face to face. I work in a job centre and when we were told we would be opening to the public face to face via a booked appointment the way the majority of my colleagues acted was a joke. OP I wish that I worked with people with your attitude rather than some of the people I have to work with.Thanks again.

We worked all the way through and are thanked with a pay feeze."

I’d say the first to feel the pinch would be those who have not worked throughout and did not qualify for furlough.

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan  over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

The NHS is a huge machine, but with many parts, it’s not just nurses, doctors and consultants or other clinical professionals, it’s the cooks and chefs who work 24/7 keeping people fed, the porters moving not just the ill but the dead as well something that people forget the emotional strain of, my own estates team who keep the lights on the heating works and have done the impossible to convert long closed buildings and make them available for use, delivery drivers, waste collection, it ends up as one big dysfunctional family a bit upstairs downstairs at time but a family who are now tired, very tired down to the last person, and it’s the same for those of my friends in transport the railways, the buses, supermarkets, food production and so so many industries, it has to make you wonder what counts as an industry and maybe if we look back to our commerce 40-50 years you might just question the society we have developed into.

Camarthen

"All key workers rule. If you worked through lock down 1 then you are the definition of a key worker. I'm a key worker too! we kept the country moving when it was in crisis. "

Just a question on that statement, did you ever eat out, go to the pub, the cinema, a music gig or use any of the professions that have been forced to close due to covid? If so that is a very arrogant and hypocrytical statement you have just made. Key workers rule!

By *penfire2000Couple  over a year ago

hampshire

"The term key worker is a little fickle! Personally I think every job is a service to others in one way or another. I've been fortunate enough to have been able to work through each so called lockdown the people who really need help is the one's who have lost they're jobs not give key! Workers discounts at the supermarket or petrol station.

most of the population have suffered this year ... maybe not in the same ways as each other but mostly all suffering none the less and plenty compassion to go around

There's no doubt that this has affected everyone irrespective of class and culture but the term annoys me to be honest, whole thing had been handled terribly yes there have been people who have little or no regard for ther people and the pressure that services are under but it takes the piss when certain professions who are on full pay will get a discount at a supermarket when someone who has claimed a grant from being unable to work will also pay tax on that money."

Okay...I'll bite.

Which certain professions do you feel most aggrieved by?

Camarthen

There's no doubt that this has affected everyone irrespective of class and culture but the term annoys me to be honest, whole thing had been handled terribly yes there have been people who have little or no regard for ther people and the pressure that services are under but it takes the piss when certain professions who are on full pay will get a discount at a supermarket when someone who has claimed a grant from being unable to work will also pay tax on that money.

Okay...I'll bite.

Which certain professions do you feel most aggrieved by?"

I'm not aggrieved by any proffesion I'm aggrieved by the system that puts proffesions into tiers that are more important than others, the virus doesn't give any regard to wealth or class but the authorities and more the media hype it up.

Okay...I'll bite.

I'm not aggrieved by any proffesion I'm aggrieved by the system that puts proffesions into tiers that are more important than others, the virus doesn't give any regard to wealth or class but the authorities and more the media hype it up."

i disagree, most of the key workers are people who would have been seen as a lower tier pre pandemic (based on skills qualifications and pay level not saying i look down)

supermarket workers, delivery drivers , bin men, care workers hospital porters etc are all working class people being given some appreciation for the contribution to society that was probably being taken for granted and overlooked before

this isn’t the class war you are perceiving it to be

"The NHS is a huge machine, but with many parts, it’s not just nurses, doctors and consultants or other clinical professionals, it’s the cooks and chefs who work 24/7 keeping people fed, the porters moving not just the ill but the dead as well something that people forget the emotional strain of, my own estates team who keep the lights on the heating works and have done the impossible to convert long closed buildings and make them available for use, delivery drivers, waste collection, it ends up as one big dysfunctional family a bit upstairs downstairs at time but a family who are now tired, very tired down to the last person, and it’s the same for those of my friends in transport the railways, the buses, supermarkets, food production and so so many industries, it has to make you wonder what counts as an industry and maybe if we look back to our commerce 40-50 years you might just question the society we have developed into. "

Camarthen

Okay...I'll bite.

I'm not aggrieved by any proffesion I'm aggrieved by the system that puts proffesions into tiers that are more important than others, the virus doesn't give any regard to wealth or class but the authorities and more the media hype it up.

i disagree, most of the key workers are people who would have been seen as a lower tier pre pandemic (based on skills qualifications and pay level not saying i look down)

supermarket workers, delivery drivers , bin men, care workers hospital porters etc are all working class people being given some appreciation for the contribution to society that was probably being taken for granted and overlooked before

this isn’t the class war you are perceiving it to be "

It has nothing to do with a class war, all in saying is that every job has a purpose as a service to others, I'm in construction and I often get people worried sick that a roof for instance needs repairing I provide a service I don't need any extra praise as I get paid to do a job that I'm lucky enough to have been able to continue doing.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

We worked all the way through and are thanked with a pay feeze."

We ? The Royal We Lionel..

I'm a key worker working on flood defences and not interested in a pay rise, I'd rather nursing got one than me

I am a key worker and I would just like a little rest. watching all the people who were furloughed or supposed to be working from home buying essential decking or paint is frustrating. or the daily abuse for asking if one needs a mask. covid cases are starting to become more frequent at my work so maybe we should start getting the discounts the nhs get as we are clearly at risk. infact forget discounts. just wear a mask. I know where I am in the pile.

Camarthen

"I am a key worker and I would just like a little rest. watching all the people who were furloughed or supposed to be working from home buying essential decking or paint is frustrating. or the daily abuse for asking if one needs a mask. covid cases are starting to become more frequent at my work so maybe we should start getting the discounts the nhs get as we are clearly at risk. infact forget discounts. just wear a mask. I know where I am in the pile. "

Camarthen

"I am a key worker and I would just like a little rest. watching all the people who were furloughed or supposed to be working from home buying essential decking or paint is frustrating. or the daily abuse for asking if one needs a mask. covid cases are starting to become more frequent at my work so maybe we should start getting the discounts the nhs get as we are clearly at risk. infact forget discounts. just wear a mask. I know where I am in the pile. "

Fucking rest! Yes I'd love a rest but when you are self employed it's not possible

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I am delighted with a thanks as it is good to feel appreciated. I do my job because i love it and choose to be there. If i wanted more money i would get another job.

I am delighted with a thanks as it is good to feel appreciated. I do my job because i love it and choose to be there. If i wanted more money i would get another job."

Thank you respect what you do

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I am delighted with a thanks as it is good to feel appreciated. I do my job because i love it and choose to be there. If i wanted more money i would get another job.

Thank you respect what you do "

Thank you. There is no denying it has not been stressful but we just get on with the job and do our best to keep safe the people we care for.

"I am a key worker and I would just like a little rest. watching all the people who were furloughed or supposed to be working from home buying essential decking or paint is frustrating. or the daily abuse for asking if one needs a mask. covid cases are starting to become more frequent at my work so maybe we should start getting the discounts the nhs get as we are clearly at risk. infact forget discounts. just wear a mask. I know where I am in the pile.

Fucking rest! Yes I'd love a rest but when you are self employed it's not possible "

just a bit rude. you get to choose when you rest. besides the harder you work the more money you get. I will always get my rubbish wage. besides I think u missed my point, i want a rest from being abused for being mask police and why furlough people so they can spread it in shops buying non essential stuff just to stop them getting bored. something tells me you are one the too important to wear a mask tradesmen that i want a rest from.

Thank you respect what you do

Thank you. There is no denying it has not been stressful but we just get on with the job and do our best to keep safe the people we care for."

We all need the care or are NHS and key workers

» Add a new message to this topic