FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Xmas cancelled. Or is it?

Xmas cancelled. Or is it?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Assuming most of you have seen the latest press conference. Apparently Christmas is cancelled.

Do you think these announcements are going to make a blind bit of difference? Will anyone listen? Personally I doubt it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

"Assuming most of you have seen the latest press conference. Apparently Christmas is cancelled.

Do you think these announcements are going to make a blind bit of difference? Will anyone listen? Personally I doubt it. "

If they have a brain cell they will why would you ignore it?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Christmas is cancelled no household mixing just been announced!!

"Assuming most of you have seen the latest press conference. Apparently Christmas is cancelled.

Do you think these announcements are going to make a blind bit of difference? Will anyone listen? Personally I doubt it. "

It's just changed my already limited plans for Xmas. I and my family will all be respecting the new tier, much as it sucks. I truly hope others also grasp the gravity of the situation.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Christmas is cancelled no household mixing just been announced!!"

Not quite....

Tier 4..... no mixing

Tiers 1 2 and 3.... Xmas day only... no sleepovers

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

I hope so, just wish people had taken notice back in spring

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

People will do what the hell they want, stupid and selfish .

What I don't understand is as a mobile engineer over the last few weeks, I've been to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bridgewater, Coventry and Leicester but I can't spend Xmas with my family, it's crazy and situations like that make people break the rules

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I hope so, just wish people had taken notice back in spring "

Yeah that's what's so frustrating. If we had just made a bit of collective effort and done things properly for a couple of months we wouldn't be in this mess right now.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Christmas isn't cancelled. Just people's concept of Christmas is having to be altered.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I’m well chuffed it’s cancelled from a selfish viewpoint. No pressure on any of my vulnerable family round here to host. The decision was taken from them.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"What I don't understand is as a mobile engineer over the last few weeks, I've been to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bridgewater, Coventry and Leicester but I can't spend Xmas with my family, it's crazy and situations like that make people break the rules "

Because you are not likely to relax and go closer than two metres to strangers

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It isn't cancelled, just different than it was yesterday

"What I don't understand is as a mobile engineer over the last few weeks, I've been to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bridgewater, Coventry and Leicester but I can't spend Xmas with my family, it's crazy and situations like that make people break the rules

Because you are not likely to relax and go closer than two metres to strangers"

It's unavoidable on building sites etc but we are still supposed to work

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

We have just got our sofa repositioned we are hiding behind that till God knows when

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"What I don't understand is as a mobile engineer over the last few weeks, I've been to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bridgewater, Coventry and Leicester but I can't spend Xmas with my family, it's crazy and situations like that make people break the rules

It's unavoidable on building sites etc but we are still supposed to work "

Obviously missing my point.

Obviously missing my point. "

Obviously, sorry

From what I read, at least "places of worship" can still pack the infected faithful in

And I thought the various gods were omnipresent and could be worshipped from anywhere.

People will meet anyway we think x

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

It isn't great for anyone hoping to see family etc.. though I guess they wouldn't be making this decision if it wasn't as serious as it is.

I think what bothers me the most about everything the government have done so far is they keep hedging their bets until then absolute last minute on everything .. then usually at the 11th hour start making announcements.

Two things I think need to change

Firstly the government needs to start being more realistic about things than ambitious hoping things will work out.

Secondly, every single one of us needs to stop 'planning' anything that is outside just a normal simple existence .. that way people don't get upset when things don't happen .. Realistically the situation is so volatile anyone really is taking a risk when they decide to do something. I am sure there are even people now deciding about Summer holidays and weekends away etc .. that to me seems very foolish to even consider.

The government should bite the bullet and admit that despite them saying we were not having a national lockdown again as we did in March the reality is that we are absolutely going to get one. That way we can all plan accordingly instead of the current ' Can/ can't/ maybe ' approach Boris keeps using.

Lastly, of course, there are going to be those who get antsy about Christmas and decide that ' no one's going to stop me visiting my n{ insert name/relationship} here ) etc.I guess is a simple truth is they should be thinking responsibly and cancelling plans they have made .. lets hope at least some of them do ..

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"From what I read, at least "places of worship" can still pack the infected faithful in

And I thought the various gods were omnipresent and could be worshipped from anywhere. "

I find this bonkers. It's certainly not essential to sit in a church, mosque, synagogue etc. Our church has been shut since March, there's a Christmas thingy on Zoom on Christmas Eve.

By *agan_PairCouple  over a year ago

portchester

"I hope so, just wish people had taken notice back in spring

Yeah that's what's so frustrating. If we had just made a bit of collective effort and done things properly for a couple of months we wouldn't be in this mess right now. "

Well that’s just speculative bull shit, not taking in to account the weather and environmental effects. Just like every other winter viral increase

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"From what I read, at least "places of worship" can still pack the infected faithful in

And I thought the various gods were omnipresent and could be worshipped from anywhere. "

will they though? Most have got social distancing going on

"People will meet anyway we think x"

My thoughts exactly, people are losing confidence in these rules etc

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Yeah that's what's so frustrating. If we had just made a bit of collective effort and done things properly for a couple of months we wouldn't be in this mess right now. "

I thought the overwhelming majority of people reacted brilliantly back in the spring. It started to break down a little following the behaviour of some of the pricks in Government

"It isn't cancelled, just different than it was yesterday"

Exactly this.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"Christmas is cancelled no household mixing just been announced!!"
christmas, day has not been cancelled. Its, been reduced to one, other household tiers, 1. 2 and 3. Tier 4 on the other hand is a, different matter

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

And what about all the, students in tier 4 that will come back into all other tiered areas of England. Shouldn't that now be stopped in January.. Boris,. If you are saying no travel from tier 4 then stop more nonsense happening which is what will happen once more, when the students all head back up this way in January

Lock everyone down. Stay where you are. How, else can anyone stay safe,

By *lack UhuruMan  over a year ago

Leeds/London

Christmas is not cancelled. 25/12/2020 will still happen (Christmas day). You just can't celebrate it with family and friends a bit like when the government pulled the plug on Ramadan. Jheez

life isn't safe.. i think people in the modern western world have become far too sanitised and scared of death if this was happening just in the third world they wouldn't give a shit

ill still wear a mask and not be a prick tho

d

My family have already decided it is just not worth the risk.

My dad has a compromised immune system and although it would be lovely to see my folks again, (both over 70), I would not like to infect them.

We are looking at something in Easter maybe, possibly with my brother if things subside.

By *ilkChocManMan  over a year ago

Sanderstead

We decided Christmas isn't cancelled - it's postponed to Easter weekend instead, so everyone in the family have something to look forward to.

What a year...

Stay safe folks

Herne Bay

"life isn't safe.. i think people in the modern western world have become far too sanitised and scared of death if this was happening just in the third world they wouldn't give a shit

ill still wear a mask and not be a prick tho

d"

we are. so scared of living We are staying hiding behind the sofa Bedwetting

niche kink

Obviously missing my point.

Obviously, sorry "

i dont know why you are surprised rugby ... people have been purposely missing the point all year because playing stupid suits their agenda better

some people at work to keep elements of the economy/ country going being essential vs hanging about with your family non essential is obviously too hard a concept for some folks brains

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

Arent they already back? think the government has already got them home and also tested too before they left student halls etc if I'm not mistaken?

By *eglieanCouple  over a year ago

Torbay

Realy pissed off,, if all the people took notice of the first lockdown, students, rave organisers, demonstrators, pubs and restaurants etc thinking they were clever, we might not be in quite as much shit as we are now. The government and police should of acted in the blatant cases back along. Just read some blokes been caught 3 times holding large parties.. The areas affected seem to reflect the past compliance, Kent being one of the worst areas for ignoring restrictions.

Herne Bay

"Realy pissed off,, if all the people took notice of the first lockdown, students, rave organisers, demonstrators, pubs and restaurants etc thinking they were clever, we might not be in quite as much shit as we are now. The government and police should of acted in the blatant cases back along. Just read some blokes been caught 3 times holding large parties.. The areas affected seem to reflect the past compliance, Kent being one of the worst areas for ignoring restrictions."
Comrade the plebs are not subjugated enough yet give them time

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

I am currently in tier 3 and from midnight tonight I will be in tier 4 as I understand it I can’t invite my sister and brother in law to my home.Please tell me I am wrong

South

"I am currently in tier 3 and from midnight tonight I will be in tier 4 as I understand it I can’t invite my sister and brother in law to my home.Please tell me I am wrong"

No you’re not wrong if you live alone you can form a support bubble wirh one household as has always been the case

North West

"I am currently in tier 3 and from midnight tonight I will be in tier 4 as I understand it I can’t invite my sister and brother in law to my home.Please tell me I am wrong"

No, you're correct. But in tier 3, you couldn't invite them either (apart from the Christmas bit). In tier 4, there's no inviting anyone on Christmas Day either though, unfortunately.

We've been in tier 3 since forever and not allowed to invite anyone to our home at all.

"Christmas is cancelled no household mixing just been announced!!

Not quite....

Tier 4..... no mixing

Tiers 1 2 and 3.... Xmas day only... no sleepovers "

Let's be blunt, if you don't live with family, don't have a car, and don't live within a few miles if you go by public transport, that means you're alone for Xmas.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

You can't I'm afraid...

By *errysMan  over a year ago

milton keynes and kent

It's unavoidable on building sites etc but we are still supposed to work "

My mind boggles.... what sort of building site have you been on.

I'm sorry lovely but you are not wrong.

We are in a particularly tricky situation as well so we totally understand.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

. Qadesh , Samiss ,Kinky couple 2000. Thank you for confirming the dreaded news

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Personally I will follow the laws and do what is required.

But I can’t see how we can actually stop the virus from getting where it chooses to.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"I am currently in tier 3 and from midnight tonight I will be in tier 4 as I understand it I can’t invite my sister and brother in law to my home.Please tell me I am wrong. Qadesh , Samiss ,Kinky couple 2000. Thank you for confirming the dreaded news "

Bless you..x

It’s the stupid mindless people who have caused this if people stuck to the rules , wear a mask , 2 metres apart etc , this would not be the case ,but again most won’t stick to the new rules and think they are above the law , this will just keep going on and on

"Personally I will follow the laws and do what is required.

But I can’t see how we can actually stop the virus from getting where it chooses to."

If everyone adheres to the rules in London and the South East, hopefully it doesn't spread too much out of this area.

If everyone outside of the South East and London keeps contact to a minimum, we can hopefully prevent the services in these areas from being overwhelmed.

If needed, resources can be redistributed from low to high pressure areas.

"It’s the stupid mindless people who have caused this if people stuck to the rules , wear a mask , 2 metres apart etc , this would not be the case ,but again most won’t stick to the new rules and think they are above the law , this will just keep going on and on "

I disagree with you that most won't stick to the new rules, I most are sticking to the rules and guidelines but as ever You always get people that think they don't apply to them and they are the ones that are the issue.

Herne Bay

"It’s the stupid mindless people who have caused this if people stuck to the rules , wear a mask , 2 metres apart etc , this would not be the case ,but again most won’t stick to the new rules and think they are above the law , this will just keep going on and on "
Absolutely bullshit Spain hardest lockdown masks from the start and guess what Virus still there , Germany track trace fantastic what a star bird still there

"Christmas is not cancelled. 25/12/2020 will still happen (Christmas day). You just can't celebrate it with family and friends a bit like when the government pulled the plug on Ramadan. Jheez"

Didn't Eid get cancelled just a few hours before, too?

"It’s the stupid mindless people who have caused this if people stuck to the rules , wear a mask , 2 metres apart etc , this would not be the case ,but again most won’t stick to the new rules and think they are above the law , this will just keep going on and on Absolutely bullshit Spain hardest lockdown masks from the start and guess what Virus still there , Germany track trace fantastic what a star bird still there "

What do you suggest should happen?

North West

"Christmas is not cancelled. 25/12/2020 will still happen (Christmas day). You just can't celebrate it with family and friends a bit like when the government pulled the plug on Ramadan. Jheez

Didn't Eid get cancelled just a few hours before, too?

"

Yup

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"If everyone adheres to the rules in London and the South East, hopefully it doesn't spread too much out of this area.

If everyone outside of the South East and London keeps contact to a minimum, we can hopefully prevent the services in these areas from being overwhelmed.

If needed, resources can be redistributed from low to high pressure areas."

I get that, but hiding away isn’t going to make Covid say “No one’s about, think I’ll just stop existing”.

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

Makes no difference for me thankfully for Xmas day

I hope people adhere.

I've not seen my family and friends in West and North Yorkshire for anywhere between 12 -10 months now.

Except my mum, dad and sister, who I saw when restrictions were loosened in summer, which coincided with my grandad's funeral.

I was looking forward to seeing them for a few days, and waving to my closest friends after dropping a card and gift off for them and their kids.

I don't have a car so there's no way I can he there and back in a day.

"It’s the stupid mindless people who have caused this if people stuck to the rules , wear a mask , 2 metres apart etc , this would not be the case ,but again most won’t stick to the new rules and think they are above the law , this will just keep going on and on

I disagree with you that most won't stick to the new rules, I most are sticking to the rules and guidelines but as ever You always get people that think they don't apply to them and they are the ones that are the issue."

Sorry don’t agree I bet the trains and national express coaches will be full from now till Xmas eve , with people moving about from place to place , most people can’t stick to the law of the land , was on a bus today was packed hardly anyone wearing a mask , the windows were closed ,

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"It’s the stupid mindless people who have caused this if people stuck to the rules , wear a mask , 2 metres apart etc , this would not be the case ,but again most won’t stick to the new rules and think they are above the law , this will just keep going on and on Absolutely bullshit Spain hardest lockdown masks from the start and guess what Virus still there , Germany track trace fantastic what a star bird still there "

Yep, none of it makes a difference.

It's been painfully apparent for a long time that the UK (at least Englands) covid policy has been to watch what EU countries do and then copy them regardless of whether the policies are workable, sensible or not (most often NOT).

The one time Westminster has it's own idea (Christmas bubbles) they backtrack as soon as it's clear that it's out of step with European thinking.

All it's done is make Boris look like a tool and given legitimacy to that tin pot tyrant, d*unk-with-power Mark Drakeford.

"If everyone adheres to the rules in London and the South East, hopefully it doesn't spread too much out of this area.

If needed, resources can be redistributed from low to high pressure areas.

I get that, but hiding away isn’t going to make Covid say “No one’s about, think I’ll just stop existing”."

Well yes, I mean a virus is not sentient, but I requires close proximity of individuals to be passed on.

Limit the flow of people, limit the flow of the virus. Sadly.

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

"People will meet anyway we think x

My thoughts exactly, people are losing confidence in these rules etc "

Then they need to grow up.

By *llabouttheladyMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

[Removed by poster at 19/12/20 18:19:07]

Wakefield

They can bollocks

New variant spreading faster my arse

Spreads 70% faster than the original variant - which spreaded 70% faster than flu.

You couldn’t write this shit.

We are nowhere near the levels of April, yet they are spoon feeding us this expecting us to swallow it whole.

They can jog on, this is all about control. They must be sat in meeting rooms thinking up what crock if shit they can get past us this time.

A few miles down the road its Tier 2 and I can go get a curry in a restaurant, but I can’t see my parents on the 26th - who will be watching my kids when I go back to work on the 27th.

Get te feck

"It’s the stupid mindless people who have caused this if people stuck to the rules , wear a mask , 2 metres apart etc , this would not be the case ,but again most won’t stick to the new rules and think they are above the law , this will just keep going on and on

I disagree with you that most won't stick to the new rules, I most are sticking to the rules and guidelines but as ever You always get people that think they don't apply to them and they are the ones that are the issue.

Sorry don’t agree I bet the trains and national express coaches will be full from now till Xmas eve , with people moving about from place to place , most people can’t stick to the law of the land , was on a bus today was packed hardly anyone wearing a mask , the windows were closed , "

OK and if the bus was packed did you get off the bus? And did you open the windows?

Those of you who were expecting to go to relatives/friends for Christmas dinner, bear in mind that the food shops will probably be packed with similar people frantically buying food who were expecting to eat elsewhere over the holiday.

Wakefield

This was called Propaganda during WW2

By *eachPreacherMan  over a year ago

Canterbury/London

I was going to visit my family but they are in tier 4 now so looks like I'm about to spend Christmas alone for once

Wakefield

Your call lad

Do what you think is right, but don’t listen to these lying bastards in government and advisory positions, they are clueless

2 weeks ago it was fans in football grounds ffs

NW London

Then they need to grow up."

Or maybe it's better for people to think for themselves, take responsibility and use their better judgement than to rely on being spoon fed and infantilised by the government and "The Science"

By *eorge JetsonMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Since April this year 5 of our company directors have visited at various times..

China (x3)

India (x3)

Turkey (x2)

Italy (x2)

Argentina (x3)

Columbian (x1)

Spain (x1)

Worldwide travel, no testing, no restrictions, no return compulsory 14 day self isolation required.

Today they will be set to spend the holidays in their own back yard in tier 3 with maximum restrictions on being within 2 metres of their own family.

Someone explain the unbearable contrast to this cos i don't understand any of this anymore.

So now it’s bill gates fault that Xmas is cancelled, this is a world wide pandemic not some made up shit , so that a new world order can control us

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

"Since April this year 5 of our company directors have visited at various times..

China (x3)

India (x3)

Turkey (x2)

Italy (x2)

Argentina (x3)

Columbian (x1)

Spain (x1)

Worldwide travel, no testing, no restrictions, no return compulsory 14 day self isolation required.

Today they will be set to spend the holidays in their own back yard in tier 3 with maximum restrictions on being within 2 metres of their own family.

Someone explain the unbearable contrast to this cos i don't understand any of this anymore. "

To be fair, that's a good point and I've wondered about this massive discrepancy for a while.

"Since April this year 5 of our company directors have visited at various times..

China (x3)

India (x3)

Turkey (x2)

Italy (x2)

Argentina (x3)

Columbian (x1)

Spain (x1)

Someone explain the unbearable contrast to this cos i don't understand any of this anymore.

To be fair, that's a good point and I've wondered about this massive discrepancy for a while."

And what about the poor buggers that work in supermarkets being around thousands of people each day - but not allowed to spend Christmas with their families and friends

I'm in Tier 4 now and quite honestly am really upset about Christmas.

Especially after spending most of the year alone.

I'm lucky and have a local family bubble - but so many don't.

Hugs to the people that are alone.

But remember it's temporary x

By *astMidsCouple555Couple  over a year ago

Leicester

"Christmas isn't cancelled. Just people's concept of Christmas is having to be altered.

"

Precisely

Yeah that's what's so frustrating. If we had just made a bit of collective effort and done things properly for a couple of months we wouldn't be in this mess right now.

I thought the overwhelming majority of people reacted brilliantly back in the spring. It started to break down a little following the behaviour of some of the pricks in Government "

I agree I reckon everyone did really well in spring and made a great effort

NW London

I thought the overwhelming majority of people reacted brilliantly back in the spring. It started to break down a little following the behaviour of some of the pricks in Government

I agree I reckon everyone did really well in spring and made a great effort "

Pretty much everyone still is. The levels of compliance are staggeringly high. It's not their fault that the rules they are following are ineffective and crap.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

I now can't meet with mom or brother...

But kids go to the same school

Should schools not also close from Monday 21st

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Life is too short to miss one Christmas with people u love...people enjoy your holidays, safe is possible. Mine is going to be same as every year and tbh i can't wait. Enjoy

Pretty much everyone still is. The levels of compliance are staggeringly high. It's not their fault that the rules they are following are ineffective and crap."

I agree yes people really are trying and its not even that the rules are ineffective but that you are fighting an organism designed over millenia to do exactly what it is doing. It really is a fight against nature and not one that is going to be easy to win.

"Life is too short to miss one Christmas with people u love...people enjoy your holidays, safe is possible. Mine is going to be same as every year and tbh i can't wait. Enjoy "

I would much rather miss one Christmas with the people I love thann never have another one with them because they have become infected because of my selfish action.

NW London

Pretty much everyone still is. The levels of compliance are staggeringly high. It's not their fault that the rules they are following are ineffective and crap.

I agree yes people really are trying and its not even that the rules are ineffective but that you are fighting an organism designed over millenia to do exactly what it is doing. It really is a fight against nature and not one that is going to be easy to win. "

The problem is that people do have a breaking point and the government seems to be doing it's best to push them beyond it

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

We did have till the 28th until our full lockdown now we have till midnight tonight .Just hope this helps our numbers come down .

"I now can't meet with mom or brother...

Should schools not also close from Monday 21st "

I really think schools should close along with everything else.

I don't know much about it but surely the kids are the worst spreaders.

By *illy_the_tvTV/TS  over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

China (x3)

India (x3)

Turkey (x2)

Italy (x2)

Argentina (x3)

Columbian (x1)

Spain (x1)

Someone explain the unbearable contrast to this cos i don't understand any of this anymore. "

Because as we all know, its one rule for the rich and connected and another for us peasants 'for the sake of the economy'

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

Then they need to grow up.

Or maybe it's better for people to think for themselves, take responsibility and use their better judgement than to rely on being spoon fed and infantilised by the government and "The Science" "

Sadly a lot don't seem to have great judgement or be willing to take responsibility hence the need to grow up.

By *edandLouCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

You only have to read the status updates on this site over the last few months to see there is an ignorant,selfish minority on here who continually hint at or even blatantly outright ask for meets with randoms. Unbelievable. So if that is a barometer of peoples idea of obeying the rules then we are in for a hell of a long road back to any type of normality.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I think you'll find that most are

South

Schools broke up yesterday ...

Schools broke up yesterday ... "

I think the schools play a big part in the spreading of the virus.

I guess with everything being shut it gives us the best chance.

NW London

Schools broke up yesterday ...

I think the schools play a big part in the spreading of the virus.

I guess with everything being shut it gives us the best chance.

"

But why shut stuff that has had a negliable effect on infection rates (gyms, cinemas for example). It just messes with people's health.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Yes not all people are stupid

[Removed by poster at 19/12/20 21:49:25]

By *andsCouple  over a year ago

Edin

Schools broke up yesterday ... "

Not up here until Wednesday

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Most people respect the restrictions but those happy to have others to blame will find examples. They are just not typical of the millions of people who have made huge sacrifices this year.

I think the holidays will fuel a rise in infections but they will be far lower than they would have been otherwise.

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Due to lack of confirmed information I wasn’t sure if the 12.01 tier 4 lock down would be in law so I had to take a mad rush to my brothers to pick up Xmas presents. Socially distanced of course

It has been a nightmare as prior to lock down in November he was t1 and we were t2 so we couldn’t go around. Then post lockdown were were t3 him t2, then he moved in to t3 and now we are both t4

He is 6 miles away, we had a buffet lunch planned for Boxing Day. A few hours when the 5 of us could spend time together which we haven’t this year.

We could have ignored abs still went around Boxing Day. Like my parents said if it’s law we can’t. If I was on my own and lived with no one else I probably would have said fuck it and gone.

Amazing how well it was all going

Right up to the point of an Eye Test .

By *teveuk77Man  over a year ago

uk

None of my Christmas bubble are going out to work. They're either furloughed or wfh. The contact we have with others is minimal such as in supermarkets. Not sure why, in this situation, ignoring the rules is stupid or selfish. Many key workers etc have been banging on about the risks of their jobs so it's understandable why they should be limiting their contact with others. People who get out daily with work and see others have interaction with many others. Sitting at home 24/7 for 9 months is mentally challenging so for Xmas day and Boxing day, my bubble with meet up as planned.

By *illy_the_tvTV/TS  over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

"Due to lack of confirmed information I wasn’t sure if the 12.01 tier 4 lock down would be in law so I had to take a mad rush to my brothers to pick up Xmas presents. Socially distanced of course

It has been a nightmare as prior to lock down in November he was t1 and we were t2 so we couldn’t go around. Then post lockdown were were t3 him t2, then he moved in to t3 and now we are both t4

He is 6 miles away, we had a buffet lunch planned for Boxing Day. A few hours when the 5 of us could spend time together which we haven’t this year.

We could have ignored abs still went around Boxing Day. Like my parents said if it’s law we can’t. If I was on my own and lived with no one else I probably would have said fuck it and gone."

To be fair, even if it is law, the police have said they're not going to enforcw anything unless they see someone having like a party with 30 people. Frankly I don't see many people listening to it this time round and not seeing family on Christmas day

China (x3)

India (x3)

Turkey (x2)

Italy (x2)

Argentina (x3)

Columbian (x1)

Spain (x1)

Because as we all know, its one rule for the rich and connected and another for us peasants 'for the sake of the economy'"

i will never understand not testing people on landing....

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

I think a few on here are now beginning to appreciate that, although no country has been unscathed by covid, the United Kingdom has been spectacularly badly let down by its leadership.

At every stage where slightly earlier, slightly tougher, more decisive action could have led to lower casualties and faster easing of restrictions, the ones making the law and setting the rules have prevaricated, failed to understand the seriousness of the situation, played political games, used the crisis as an excuse to embezzle vast sums of money, and in general utterly failed in their duty to the people of the country.

Arguably everybody in the country should share some part of the blame, but the ultimate authority and thus the ultimate responsibility lies with the leader of this country. The prime minister has consistently failed to take the difficult road that could both save lives and preserve the economy, has only ever belatedly reacted to events instead of being in any way pro-active, and in many cases only made a "decision" when forced into it by the people of the country making the first moves. For example, mandating the first close down of schools only after more than half of the schools had been forced to close by decisions of the parents and the schools staff.

There is an argument that nobody could properly predict the need for the first lockdown, and that he must be the excused doing it too late and not rigorously enough - though not a good argument as there was already plenty of examples of European countries making that error, plus the experience from the pandemic planning exercise barely more than a year earlier. But even if we do excuse that, there is lockdown number two, too little and too late, and now effectively a Christmas lockdown, too little and too late. Whatever the advice, it is the prime minister that makes the decisions - wrong once, wrong twice, wrong three times.

We also have the "cummings" incident, that has done more to undermine the message of covid precautions than absolutely anything else. It was the prime ministers responsibility to make sure that those setting the rules did not undermine those rules. The nit picking by mr cummings that technically he did not break the rules and that he was just "doing what any parent would" served only to give a very loud message that everybody was free to ignore the spirit and intention of the rules, that any loophole could be exploited with no personal responsibility for the collective good of the country, and that everyone was free to "do what any parent would do". Although this was the actions of the PMs advisor, again the responsibility for the unarguably detrimental effects on the health and welfare of the country lies with the prime minister. The PM had a responsibility to censure the actions of cummings, obtain a public apology from him, and terminate his employment. This was within the power of the PM, but he chose instead to excuse the actions of an unelected official being paid from the public purse, thus weakening the bio-security of the country. All extra deaths (and for those who find money more important, all extra impact on the economy) caused by this decision are the responsibility of the PM. Those saying that it was impossible for the PM to forego the aid of his most important advisor - funny how the advisor was suddenly very disposable the instant that the PMs girlfriend expressed her dislike of him...

Another bloody essay from Polly. Bottom line - if your christmas has been ruined, start demanding forcefully that the government and the prime minister must answer to their responsibility for the situation.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

There are still restrictions and measures at such places. It's not a free for all.

South

And I thought the various gods were omnipresent and could be worshipped from anywhere.

There are still restrictions and measures at such places. It's not a free for all. "

You have to book a slot ...

South

"I think a few on here are now beginning to appreciate that, although no country has been unscathed by covid, the United Kingdom has been spectacularly badly let down by its leadership.

At every stage where slightly earlier, slightly tougher, more decisive action could have led to lower casualties and faster easing of restrictions, the ones making the law and setting the rules have prevaricated, failed to understand the seriousness of the situation, played political games, used the crisis as an excuse to embezzle vast sums of money, and in general utterly failed in their duty to the people of the country.

Arguably everybody in the country should share some part of the blame, but the ultimate authority and thus the ultimate responsibility lies with the leader of this country. The prime minister has consistently failed to take the difficult road that could both save lives and preserve the economy, has only ever belatedly reacted to events instead of being in any way pro-active, and in many cases only made a "decision" when forced into it by the people of the country making the first moves. For example, mandating the first close down of schools only after more than half of the schools had been forced to close by decisions of the parents and the schools staff.

There is an argument that nobody could properly predict the need for the first lockdown, and that he must be the excused doing it too late and not rigorously enough - though not a good argument as there was already plenty of examples of European countries making that error, plus the experience from the pandemic planning exercise barely more than a year earlier. But even if we do excuse that, there is lockdown number two, too little and too late, and now effectively a Christmas lockdown, too little and too late. Whatever the advice, it is the prime minister that makes the decisions - wrong once, wrong twice, wrong three times.

We also have the "cummings" incident, that has done more to undermine the message of covid precautions than absolutely anything else. It was the prime ministers responsibility to make sure that those setting the rules did not undermine those rules. The nit picking by mr cummings that technically he did not break the rules and that he was just "doing what any parent would" served only to give a very loud message that everybody was free to ignore the spirit and intention of the rules, that any loophole could be exploited with no personal responsibility for the collective good of the country, and that everyone was free to "do what any parent would do". Although this was the actions of the PMs advisor, again the responsibility for the unarguably detrimental effects on the health and welfare of the country lies with the prime minister. The PM had a responsibility to censure the actions of cummings, obtain a public apology from him, and terminate his employment. This was within the power of the PM, but he chose instead to excuse the actions of an unelected official being paid from the public purse, thus weakening the bio-security of the country. All extra deaths (and for those who find money more important, all extra impact on the economy) caused by this decision are the responsibility of the PM. Those saying that it was impossible for the PM to forego the aid of his most important advisor - funny how the advisor was suddenly very disposable the instant that the PMs girlfriend expressed her dislike of him...

Another bloody essay from Polly. Bottom line - if your christmas has been ruined, start demanding forcefully that the government and the prime minister must answer to their responsibility for the situation."

This!!! Too little too late constantly.

NW London

There are still restrictions and measures at such places. It's not a free for all. "

It would be a pretty grotesque state of affairs for churches to be forced to close whilst all the noise is being made about saving atheist's Christmas gatherings....

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

There are still restrictions and measures at such places. It's not a free for all.

It would be a pretty grotesque state of affairs for churches to be forced to close whilst all the noise is being made about saving atheist's Christmas gatherings...."

Or it can be equal and fair for everyone, whether or not some believe in sky fairy's.

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

4 hours notice is rediculous. All the crowds last night and with a fair percentage of Wales ignoring the rules anyway the spread will be worse than if they hadn't changed anything. I have never witnessed such an incompatant government in my life

I am really really fearful for the mental health of people now!!!

My daughter has told me her uni is meant to have a mental health help line, a friend of hers was massively depressed was on meds and when she rang was told someone may be able to get back to her in February!!!!

I think the mental health fall out of this discussion will far out weigh covid

By *hil_SW19Man  over a year ago

Raynes Park

Christmas like Eid and Easter and Ramadan will happen. The day will exist.

Now the commercial excesses will not happen, the family gatherings etc will not.

Parents will still buy children presents.

So its happening just different

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Life is too short to miss one Christmas with people u love...people enjoy your holidays, safe is possible. Mine is going to be same as every year and tbh i can't wait. Enjoy "
Better to miss one christmas than miss someone you love for the rest of your life.

We are not changing our plans for Christmas day. As Greater Manchester Police forgot to investigate 8,000 reported crimes we are not overly concerned about getting a knock on the door

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"Life is too short to miss one Christmas with people u love...people enjoy your holidays, safe is possible.

Mine is going to be same as every year and tbh i can't wait. Enjoy

Better to miss one christmas than miss someone you love for the rest of your life."

Some people make it sound as if the odds are like a toss of a coin...

50 / 50

Heads you'll be ok

Tails you'll fucking die

Just my humble opinion

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

During a global pandemic and a new variant of the virus circulating.

Why should Christmas be treated any differently from other religious festivals like Eid, Hanukkah, Diwali etc.....

You only get one life and you need to live it is my opinion. Everyone enjoy your Christmas behind the sofa shaking like a shitting dog.

I will have my family around me, as they like me are not going to let some overhyped scaremongers take away our Christmas. We are all healthy adults so the risk from this virus is less than 1% to our existence going forward.

Before anyone starts lobbing stones my way think to yourselves if you have ever left the house previously with a head cold or a flu then you have posed serious risk to people with low immune system or Asthma or COPD.

If the neighbours send the Old Bill round then I will crowdfund the fines. ??????

Merry Christmas, Enjoy it like it’s yer last. I know I will.

NW London

"During a global pandemic and a new variant of the virus circulating.

Why should Christmas be treated any differently from other religious festivals like Eid, Hanukkah, Diwali etc.....

"

Because we are (nominally) a Christian country? Our head of state is also head of Church?

Our laws, norms and values all stem from Christianity?

Hastings

I think you'll find that most are "

What mine are 're open on the 4th at the moment do you think covid will be gone by then...

Or will that be Tier 5 Schools stay shut.

And Tier 4 can't go back to university ??

Hastings

"You only get one life and you need to live it is my opinion. Everyone enjoy your Christmas behind the sofa shaking like a shitting dog.

I will have my family around me, as they like me are not going to let some overhyped scaremongers take away our Christmas. We are all healthy adults so the risk from this virus is less than 1% to our existence going forward.

Before anyone starts lobbing stones my way think to yourselves if you have ever left the house previously with a head cold or a flu then you have posed serious risk to people with low immune system or Asthma or COPD.

If the neighbours send the Old Bill round then I will crowdfund the fines. ??????

Merry Christmas, Enjoy it like it’s yer last. I know I will."

So say as you are all fit and well 1 person has it. And passes this to the rest of the family and they are all positive but asystematic so don't know it. And all pass it to 10 others with out knowing it. Some one will die...

Do you get this

So we can't mix households. That doesn't cancel Christmas. I'm still going to eat and drink too much. I'll Zoom my parents.

Cancelled in our house . Not happening . F all to ho ho ho about

By *hades Of GreyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

"

"

With such an irresponsible attitude, It may well be the last Christmas for you or one of your family.

The selfish with little regard for others will remain so I guess

"

With such an irresponsible attitude, It may well be the last Christmas for you or one of your family. "

People really are clueless and actually nobody really knows their risk or of those around them.

Hastings

Cancelled in this house was cooking for 8 now it will be me and big bird ( Turkey ) don't know if I should cook it or watch tv with it.

Hastings

"You only get one life and you need to live it is my opinion. Everyone enjoy your Christmas behind the sofa shaking like a shitting dog.

Neal so can i ask how you know you are all fit and well. Guess you all had a full medical with all scans.

Police don't have power of entry so just don't answer the door. We have CCTV all around the house so we can see who is there. Enjoy your Christmas with your family x

Police don't have power of entry so just don't answer the door. We have CCTV all around the house so we can see who is there. Enjoy your Christmas with your family x"

Yet again a selfish attitude.

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

Its no great problem for everyone to take a very quiet careful xmas for one year with the hope that things will improve a lot later on next year, it may be an unique experience you may enjoy give it a try and see, then with some luck more will be around to live life to the full. Keep in mind that there are a lot of seriously ill folks about that need the hospitals.

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

It is not cancelled as such, as the restrictions are mostly only affecting the shops, you can still have christmas at home.

Hastings

"Its no great problem for everyone to take a very quiet careful xmas for one year with the hope that things will improve a lot later on next year, it may be an unique experience you may enjoy give it a try and see, then with some luck more will be around to live life to the full. Keep in mind that there are a lot of seriously ill folks about that need the hospitals."

Mum is not well at all and in tier 2 so now can't see her she might not make next Christmas.

I would guess I'm not the only one in this position

"It is not cancelled as such, as the restrictions are mostly only affecting the shops, you can still have christmas at home."
Yesterday oxford circus was almost empty, which cant be good for the businesses.

"Christmas isn't cancelled. Just people's concept of Christmas is having to be altered.

"

Most people will quietly get on with their Christmas plans as best they can without shouting anything from the rooftops about breaking rules or preaching any sanctimonious bullshit.

I really hope everyone enjoys Christmas the best way they can x

Hastings

"Most people will quietly get on with their Christmas plans as best they can without shouting anything from the rooftops about breaking rules or preaching any sanctimonious bullshit.

I really hope everyone enjoys Christmas the best way they can x"

For me I hope it's dry so I can work in the garden and get some sanity.

By *eefyBangerMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

Christmas is only cancelled if you are so dense as to believe everything the government say and are unable to think for yourself.

Have a merry Christmas and make the most of it with your loved ones. If this virus is so dangerous, by their own admission, why wait until next year to spend it with loved ones when they might not be here.

You only get one shot at life and by fuck it isn’t half a short life.

"Most people will quietly get on with their Christmas plans as best they can without shouting anything from the rooftops about breaking rules or preaching any sanctimonious bullshit.

I really hope everyone enjoys Christmas the best way they can x"

That is right, it is about finding a way around it to celebrate it x

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

The part I don't understand is why Xmas is one day, and no overnight stays.

In previous years, I've been invited to spend the day with a friend and his family.

Under the current rules, I think I can spend the day, in the same room, but not sleep alone in the spare room.

If I hadn't caught a virus during the day, and no new people arrive, I fail to see the risk in sleeping.

Never mind, won't be the first Xmas alone, at least I'm not working.

God squad are immune from Covid didnt you know ?

» Add a new message to this topic