FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > The NHS vs Healthcare for Africa

The NHS vs Healthcare for Africa

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The NHS, the worlds health care leader, the highest regarded and most highly funded health care system, serving a population of 65m people. Official stats show the NHS as recording 1 death per 970 people it serves.

Healthcare for Africa, the world least funded and lowest ranked health care system, serving a population of 1.3bn people. Healthcare for Africa has recorded 1 death per 21,670 people it serves.

The NHS, serving a population 20 times less than Africa has logged a death rate 20 times higher than Africa, and all off the back of probably at least 20 times more funding than Africa.

And before anyone gets a psychological boner over social distancing, know that Africa is very densly populated in a multitude places. for example, this apparently highly contagious illness can apparently be found to be rife in Nigeria, and Nigeria alone has a population over 200m.

On that note and on the subject of stats, you will also find reports of Nigeria alone recording almost 80k deaths by itself, so how to offical African death toll remains being reported 20k cases lower than Nigeria alone shows offically reported stats as the fiction they are. Perhaps its the push back in Nigeria ? report more cases, justifiably increase police physicality upon people.

You may commence defence of the NHS in 3, 2.....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ordo320Man  over a year ago

Gatwick

Lack of accurate testing in all parts of the continent is the most likely reason along with corruption. Or that the average life expectancy is so much lower than the western world it doesn’t kill so easily. So much for me being cheery!

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

[Removed by poster at 22/12/20 21:20:22]

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

As you say yourself OP...the African stats are not accurate.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

The figures from Nigera and certain other West African countries will be grossly inaccurate.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can see what you've tried to do there. think the answer pretty much given in the first reply though.

"As you say yourself OP...the African stats are not accurate. "

I said officially reported stats, as in ALL officially reported stats.

"Lack of accurate testing in all parts of the continent is the most likely reason along with corruption. Or that the average life expectancy is so much lower than the western world it doesn’t kill so easily. So much for me being cheery! "

Dominic Raab himself said less than 2 mnoths ago the UK testing has been less than 7% accurate to date.

I mean, PCR isnt even a test, and that is the words of the PCR inventor himself.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Lack of accurate testing in all parts of the continent is the most likely reason along with corruption. Or that the average life expectancy is so much lower than the western world it doesn’t kill so easily. So much for me being cheery!

Dominic Raab himself said less than 2 mnoths ago the UK testing has been less than 7% accurate to date.

I mean, PCR isnt even a test, and that is the words of the PCR inventor himself."

Whoa..whoa.

I thought we had a world beating track and trace?

And that moonshot plan is going well isnt it?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"The NHS, the worlds health care leader, the highest regarded and most highly funded health care system, serving a population of 65m people. Official stats show the NHS as recording 1 death per 970 people it serves.

Healthcare for Africa, the world least funded and lowest ranked health care system, serving a population of 1.3bn people. Healthcare for Africa has recorded 1 death per 21,670 people it serves.

The NHS, serving a population 20 times less than Africa has logged a death rate 20 times higher than Africa, and all off the back of probably at least 20 times more funding than Africa.

And before anyone gets a psychological boner over social distancing, know that Africa is very densly populated in a multitude places. for example, this apparently highly contagious illness can apparently be found to be rife in Nigeria, and Nigeria alone has a population over 200m.

On that note and on the subject of stats, you will also find reports of Nigeria alone recording almost 80k deaths by itself, so how to offical African death toll remains being reported 20k cases lower than Nigeria alone shows offically reported stats as the fiction they are. Perhaps its the push back in Nigeria ? report more cases, justifiably increase police physicality upon people.

You may commence defence of the NHS in 3, 2....."

Rule one sort out the UK simple logic.

Nice to hear you praising the NHS so many knockers on here

liverpool

"The NHS, the worlds health care leader, the highest regarded and most highly funded health care system, serving a population of 65m people. Official stats show the NHS as recording 1 death per 970 people it serves.

You may commence defence of the NHS in 3, 2.....Rule one sort out the UK simple logic.

Nice to hear you praising the NHS so many knockers on here"

Erm...

By *spotpleasurerMan  over a year ago

Norwich

World beating NHS? Only in your imagination.

I've travelled around the world and sometimes have had to use the local health service in Europe, Asia, Latin America, Australia and the US. Frankly, I'd put our healthcare near the bottom.

The NHS is too big and mismanaged and chronically underfunded. Take a look around if you're unlucky to be in A&E or in for an overnight stay. It's more like a third world country.

liverpool

"World beating NHS? Only in your imagination.

I've travelled around the world and sometimes have had to use the local health service in Europe, Asia, Latin America, Australia and the US. Frankly, I'd put our healthcare near the bottom.

The NHS is too big and mismanaged and chronically underfunded. Take a look around if you're unlucky to be in A&E or in for an overnight stay. It's more like a third world country."

My dad had a heart attack a few years ago.

There was an ambulance there in minutes.

They took him to hospital and saved his life.

He came out a few weeks later and didnt pay a penny.

The NHS is one of the few shining lights in this fucking place ,and most of the people who work for them are heroes. They are worth 10 times those corrupt shares who cheered when they got a pay freeze.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

The NHS is too big and mismanaged and chronically underfunded. Take a look around if you're unlucky to be in A&E or in for an overnight stay. It's more like a third world country."

What’s different though is in those countries you mention healthcare is beyond the means of big swathes of their population!! NHS would also have plenty of money if it only had to serve part of the population...

liverpool

Shysters not shares..I'm not typing that again

teleford

Life expectancy in Africa is only 62... Covid is largely a killer of those over 70.. there simply are too few people elderly enough in Africa for Covid to be a big killer! The health service has nothing to do with it!

teleford

And how careless are you that you need so much hospital treatment when abroad? .

OP, I really don't understand what you're trying to say. So stats are false, inaccurate, manipulated, used for whatever you it's intended to try to support. So what are you trying to say with the stats you quote?

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Maybe the average African is just healthier than the average Briton?

I dont think the African records system would be accurate tbh

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think the full abstract from a report comparing the 2 would be the minimum needed to be provided, in order to compare 2 bits of cherry picked data, accompanied by some fluff.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Africa. That famous, homogeneous country. You can't compare an entire continent with a piffling little island for a start.

1/10 - must try harder.

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Life expectancy in Africa is only 62... Covid is largely a killer of those over 70.. there simply are too few people elderly enough in Africa for Covid to be a big killer! The health service has nothing to do with it!"

Spot on - would be interested to see the op's response to this, but he seems to have done a bit of a mic drop

Life expectancy in Africa is only 62... Covid is largely a killer of those over 70.. there simply are too few people elderly enough in Africa for Covid to be a big killer! The health service has nothing to do with it!"

That's true for Western counties. I ask what makes someone at 70 more susceptible to covid. My guess is it's more to do with how the body is at 70 that the actual age. Therefore since life expectancy in Africa is considerably lower than in the west there may be more who are susceptible at a lower age than here. Other factors that need considering to are the reasons behind a lower life expectancy. A few factors to consider are famine, malaria, wars, and life expectancy in Africa you say is 62 which is an average of 54 or 56 countries (as two are disputed) with a few countries that have hardly any true stats on even their population let alone true age as many births are not registered till child is weaned as they as many do not survive past this in some countries. This puts into question the real age of many Africans. Even in Congo they have only estimated the population of pigmies to be between 250,000 -600,000, then there are many more tribal groups living solely in the interior of the second largest forest in the world.

So it's all quite hypothetical on so many accounts.

Life expectancy in Africa is only 62... Covid is largely a killer of those over 70.. there simply are too few people elderly enough in Africa for Covid to be a big killer! The health service has nothing to do with it!

Spot on - would be interested to see the op's response to this, but he seems to have done a bit of a mic drop "

I'm waiting a long time for a simple question but I doubt we'll see him.

North West

"

That's true for Western counties. I ask what makes someone at 70 more susceptible to covid. My guess is it's more to do with how the body is at 70 that the actual age. Therefore since life expectancy in Africa is considerably lower than in the west there may be more who are susceptible at a lower age than here. Other factors that need considering to are the reasons behind a lower life expectancy. A few factors to consider are famine, malaria, wars, and life expectancy in Africa you say is 62 which is an average of 54 or 56 countries (as two are disputed) with a few countries that have hardly any true stats on even their population let alone true age as many births are not registered till child is weaned as they as many do not survive past this in some countries. This puts into question the real age of many Africans. Even in Congo they have only estimated the population of pigmies to be between 250,000 -600,000, then there are many more tribal groups living solely in the interior of the second largest forest in the world.

So it's all quite hypothetical on so many accounts. "

The immune system is well known to decline significantly after approx age 70, which is why that age group are at higher risk of severe disease. Also the simple fact is the older a human body is, the higher the level of atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular issues (which may be latent/asymptomatic) and this virus is now known to have a significant cardiovascular impact.

"

The immune system is well known to decline significantly after approx age 70, which is why that age group are at higher risk of severe disease. Also the simple fact is the older a human body is, the higher the level of atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular issues (which may be latent/asymptomatic) and this virus is now known to have a significant cardiovascular impact."

I don't disagree at all, but an African pigmy at 50 probably has similar body degradation to an average western body of 70 was one of the points I was trying to make.

By *lansmanMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

This is more likely the case. Western countries have an aging population. For a virus that affects the elderly mostly then its obvious really.

North West

"

The immune system is well known to decline significantly after approx age 70, which is why that age group are at higher risk of severe disease. Also the simple fact is the older a human body is, the higher the level of atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular issues (which may be latent/asymptomatic) and this virus is now known to have a significant cardiovascular impact.

I don't disagree at all, but an African pigmy at 50 probably has similar body degradation to an average western body of 70 was one of the points I was trying to make."

I'd say the other way around. A 50yo African pygmy would likely have better cardiovascular health due to less processed food and more exercise through manual labour, needing to walk to fetch water etc.

"

I don't disagree at all, but an African pigmy at 50 probably has similar body degradation to an average western body of 70 was one of the points I was trying to make.

I'd say the other way around. A 50yo African pygmy would likely have better cardiovascular health due to less processed food and more exercise through manual labour, needing to walk to fetch water etc."

Maybe forgetting that what kills us here what makes our bodies weak here are quite different to there, but they nevertheless bodies suffer and become weaker at a younger age, hense why old age for them is considerably younger than here. The danger is to assume knowledge of here and then assume it's the same elsewhere

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

As some others have said, the health care system has little or nothing to do with why the deaths are lower in Africa.

With respect to Africa, we may not have clear picture of the number of infections due to limited testing in some of the countries. But their hospitals are not overwhelmed and they are not seeing the high death numbers experienced elsewhere.

There are a few factors which have helped most African countries control the pandemic.

1.) Some African countries had a hard lockdown which saw them close their borders to international travel and visitors. They didn't even have a quarantine system, instead they completely stopped all flights in and out of the country. This a similar strategy adopted by countries like New Zealand, which explains why they also have lower infections and deaths.

Some African countries also restricted travel from one part of the country to another as early as Spring this year.

The decision to close their borders and restrict travel within the country: - limits the spread of infections and ultimately the number of deaths.

2.) Another factor is that sub Saharan Africa (apart from SA) don't have a winter season which allows the virus to fester.

If you recall during the hot summer season in the UK when everyone was outdoors, we had very low daily infections - around 500 a day; and deaths were as low as 2 a day in August. The numbers of infections and deaths started increasing when it started getting colder during the autumn to winter season.

Sub Saharan Africa has a summer season thought out the course of the year, so people spend more time outdoors where the risk of transmission is much lower compared to indoor settings; which is where people spend more time in colder countries, which allows the virus to transmit more.

3.) Also with constant sunshine throughout the course of the year, their uptake of vitamin D would be high - which in turn helps their immune system to put up an effective fight against the virus.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

So it's all quite hypothetical on so many accounts. "

Life expectancy is lower in africa for many reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean that the body is "older" at a younger age in Africa than the UK. If you're diagnosed with a life threatening illness or accident in the UK then there's a much higher chance of surviving it. Deaths of infants and children bring down the life expectancy in Africa too. Also, no risk of cholera etc. There are about 20 countries in Africa with higher homicide rates than the highest in europe and only 2 countries in Africa with lower rates than the UK.

North West

"

I'd say the other way around. A 50yo African pygmy would likely have better cardiovascular health due to less processed food and more exercise through manual labour, needing to walk to fetch water etc.

Maybe forgetting that what kills us here what makes our bodies weak here are quite different to there, but they nevertheless bodies suffer and become weaker at a younger age, hense why old age for them is considerably younger than here. The danger is to assume knowledge of here and then assume it's the same elsewhere"

Infectious disease is what kills most people in sub Saharan Africa. HIV, TB, diarrhoeal disease, malaria etc. Apart from in infancy, these diseases have little age-related connection. Life expectancy in sub-Saharan Africa is mostly to do with these diseases and malnutrition.

"

Maybe forgetting that what kills us here what makes our bodies weak here are quite different to there, but they nevertheless bodies suffer and become weaker at a younger age, hense why old age for them is considerably younger than here. The danger is to assume knowledge of here and then assume it's the same elsewhere

Infectious disease is what kills most people in sub Saharan Africa. HIV, TB, diarrhoeal disease, malaria etc. Apart from in infancy, these diseases have little age-related connection. Life expectancy in sub-Saharan Africa is mostly to do with these diseases and malnutrition."

Not forgetting war, 900,000 killed in the first two weeks on the Hutu and Tutsi uprising with an estimated 6.5 million.

I still think it's more complicated than just being a certain age and because an African hasn't reached that critical age by which many of our deaths have shown it doesn't mean they are less likely to die from it. It why people realised early on that comparisons of counties didn't give much real value.

We'll never know in the end anyways as collection of any relavent data will be wholly inaccurate and incomplete.

» Add a new message to this topic