FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > How muck does it cost to live?

How muck does it cost to live?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *idingout41 OP   Man  over a year ago

Southampton

A lot it talked about people not being able to cope.

This is not a criticism but imagine you are in a third world country or it is WW2

We don’t need meat. I think with pastas, rice, potatoes, in season veg and pulses it is possible to feed a family of four for £10.00 a week.

I am not saying this is ideal. Just-possible

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

By your calculation, each of the family has 35p a day to live on. Three meals for 35p ? Quite challenging.

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

Less than 40p a day per person ? Please write a costed 7 day menu plan.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"A lot it talked about people not being able to cope.

This is not a criticism but imagine you are in a third world country or it is WW2

We don’t need meat. I think with pastas, rice, potatoes, in season veg and pulses it is possible to feed a family of four for £10.00 a week.

I am not saying this is ideal. Just-possible"

Which position in the Conservative Party do you hold?

Lol !

Leeds

The children in this family need calcium as well as protein.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

What rubbish !!

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

If I was in a third world country the chances are I wouldn't be able to cope. Those foods mentioned may well be luxuries I was unable to afford.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

Cant send kids to school with rice and potato’s for lunch. Fresh fruit? How about toiletries ? Cleaning items? Sanitary items?

South

I am not saying this is ideal. Just-possible

Which position in the Conservative Party do you hold? "

Universal credit chief

By *ch WellMan  over a year ago

Scotland

Stopped reading at ww2. Piss sick and tired of the ww2 comparison. It is no comparison, 2 entirely different situations.

I take it the rest of the post was equally ridiculous?

"Stopped reading at ww2. Piss sick and tired of the ww2 comparison. It is no comparison, 2 entirely different situations.

I take it the rest of the post was equally ridiculous?"

It was but probably not for the reasons you think....

I think £10 for a family of 4 is pushing it but a lot of people don't have a proper grasp on reality and how much money they could save when it comes to food shopping based on need and want. There was a thread on here probably a year ago when a single guy was claiming to spend something like £100 a week on food and he couldn't comprehend how a single person could realistically have a balanced diet on less than a quarter of that. We live in a society where convenience is king and a lot of people claiming they can't live on "x" amount of money would find it a lot easier if they changed their spending habits.

South

"I think £10 for a family of 4 is pushing it but a lot of people don't have a proper grasp on reality and how much money they could save when it comes to food shopping based on need and want. There was a thread on here probably a year ago when a single guy was claiming to spend something like £100 a week on food and he couldn't comprehend how a single person could realistically have a balanced diet on less than a quarter of that. We live in a society where convenience is king and a lot of people claiming they can't live on "x" amount of money would find it a lot easier if they changed their spending habits."

Have you ever shopped for a family of four?

South

"I think £10 for a family of 4 is pushing it but a lot of people don't have a proper grasp on reality and how much money they could save when it comes to food shopping based on need and want. There was a thread on here probably a year ago when a single guy was claiming to spend something like £100 a week on food and he couldn't comprehend how a single person could realistically have a balanced diet on less than a quarter of that. We live in a society where convenience is king and a lot of people claiming they can't live on "x" amount of money would find it a lot easier if they changed their spending habits."

I actually would be very interested to see a menu on how you think ten a week is ‘pushing it’ ......

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I think £10 might be pushing it a tad

But we are really spoilt in this country (not all of us) but we waste so much food and eat so much convenience shite that it’s not surprising that people can’t seem to get by.

For 3 in my family we spend maybe £60 pw on food! Maybe a little more for the odd luxury but no way as no icy as some seem to need to spend

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

I watched family's turning up at a food bank. They pay £7.50 and get a weeks shopping basket. Unbelievable that this is Great Britain in 2020. It also left me reflective and ashamed at what I've spent on food and presents this week.

Leeds

I didn't realise people had to pay at a food bank.

South

Universal credit thinks a person over the age of 25 can live on £409 a month so that’s good, light, heat, council tax, transport, clothing, hair cut, prescriptions etc etc etc

South

[Removed by poster at 23/12/20 08:20:58]

South

"I watched family's turning up at a food bank. They pay £7.50 and get a weeks shopping basket. Unbelievable that this is Great Britain in 2020. It also left me reflective and ashamed at what I've spent on food and presents this week. "

If there was a charge it was nothing to do with the value of the food can you pm me the details of food banks charging please as this isn’t right.

South

"I think £10 might be pushing it a tad

But we are really spoilt in this country (not all of us) but we waste so much food and eat so much convenience shite that it’s not surprising that people can’t seem to get by.

For 3 in my family we spend maybe £60 pw on food! Maybe a little more for the odd luxury but no way as no icy as some seem to need to spend "

In 2014 I managed on £20 a week me and two small children - believe me that was the lowest I could possibly go. £10 on four? Never

Scotland

For 3 in my family we spend maybe £60 pw on food! Maybe a little more for the odd luxury but no way as no icy as some seem to need to spend "

How are we spoilt? I work hard and if I want to treat myself to nice food to eat then I've earned it and deserve it. Nothing to do with being spoilt.

Honest to Christ, what's going on in this country? Between Brexit,folk lapping up lockdowns and calling for army on the streets and now here we have calling folk spoilt because they like a nice dinner we really are on a race to the bottom.

By *lancmangecplCouple  over a year ago

farnborough

This one got me thinking. I’m Gujarati and the amount of meals you can cook with dhals and veg is extensive, nutritious and cheap. I came up with the following menu for a week and total came out to 19.40 for one person. I think you could bulk out with more veg to make it for 2 people at not much more cost. Maybe another 5 quid for frozen veg which would be 5 kilos. This would bring it down to 12.50 per person. From this you get your basics protein, fibre and carbs. The down side is you may be farting a bit

I reckon you could probably go cheaper but you’d start missing out on food groups.

Red kidney beans 45p

Chickpeas 65p

Black eyed beans 45p

Butter beans 50p

Mung beans 1.45

Chickpea dal 1.50

Bag Onion 1.00

Mixed veg frozen 1.75

Roti flour £10 but would last a good 2 or 3 weeks so 5.00 worst case

12 eggs 3.00

Garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt all 1.00 so 6.00 but would last 2 weeks so 3.00

Tomato purée 65p

Frozen ginger and garlic cubes 1.00

Chicken legs 2.00

Total 19.40

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"I watched family's turning up at a food bank. They pay £7.50 and get a weeks shopping basket. Unbelievable that this is Great Britain in 2020. It also left me reflective and ashamed at what I've spent on food and presents this week.

If there was a charge it was nothing to do with the value of the food can you pm me the details of food banks charging please as this isn’t right. "

I saw that on BBC news yesterday. They showed a person paying their £7.50

South

For 3 in my family we spend maybe £60 pw on food! Maybe a little more for the odd luxury but no way as no icy as some seem to need to spend

How are we spoilt? I work hard and if I want to treat myself to nice food to eat then I've earned it and deserve it. Nothing to do with being spoilt.

Honest to Christ, what's going on in this country? Between Brexit,folk lapping up lockdowns and calling for army on the streets and now here we have calling folk spoilt because they like a nice dinner we really are on a race to the bottom."

Entitled and spoiled you do realise that there are families out there in this country that work and still have to choose between eating and heating don’t you?

South

"I watched family's turning up at a food bank. They pay £7.50 and get a weeks shopping basket. Unbelievable that this is Great Britain in 2020. It also left me reflective and ashamed at what I've spent on food and presents this week.

If there was a charge it was nothing to do with the value of the food can you pm me the details of food banks charging please as this isn’t right.

I saw that on BBC news yesterday. They showed a person paying their £7.50 "

BBC? Thanks x

Leeds

Blancemanglcpl your menu is excellent. My only suggestion would be to add youghurt for calcium. A nice raitha.

oldham

I saw that on BBC news yesterday. They showed a person paying their £7.50 "

Thank you . I was sure I hadn't dreamt this

South

I saw that on BBC news yesterday. They showed a person paying their £7.50

Thank you . I was sure I hadn't dreamt this"

This would probably be a project like the junk food project - not a food bank. Food banks are free and people have to jump through hoops for them get referred etc. Maybe a ‘full a bag for £7.50’ emergency?

"I think £10 for a family of 4 is pushing it but a lot of people don't have a proper grasp on reality and how much money they could save when it comes to food shopping based on need and want. There was a thread on here probably a year ago when a single guy was claiming to spend something like £100 a week on food and he couldn't comprehend how a single person could realistically have a balanced diet on less than a quarter of that. We live in a society where convenience is king and a lot of people claiming they can't live on "x" amount of money would find it a lot easier if they changed their spending habits.

I actually would be very interested to see a menu on how you think ten a week is ‘pushing it’ ...... "

Sorry I'm not getting your point? Are you saying it's fairly easy to feed a family of 4 on £10 a week? I'm quite clearly stating that £10 isn't enough to feed a family of 4....

South

"This one got me thinking. I’m Gujarati and the amount of meals you can cook with dhals and veg is extensive, nutritious and cheap. I came up with the following menu for a week and total came out to 19.40 for one person. I think you could bulk out with more veg to make it for 2 people at not much more cost. Maybe another 5 quid for frozen veg which would be 5 kilos. This would bring it down to 12.50 per person. From this you get your basics protein, fibre and carbs. The down side is you may be farting a bit

I reckon you could probably go cheaper but you’d start missing out on food groups.

Red kidney beans 45p

Chickpeas 65p

Black eyed beans 45p

Butter beans 50p

Mung beans 1.45

Chickpea dal 1.50

Bag Onion 1.00

Mixed veg frozen 1.75

12 eggs 3.00

Garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt all 1.00 so 6.00 but would last 2 weeks so 3.00

Tomato purée 65p

Chicken legs 2.00

Total 19.40"

Ooh yum

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"This one got me thinking. I’m Gujarati and the amount of meals you can cook with dhals and veg is extensive, nutritious and cheap. I came up with the following menu for a week and total came out to 19.40 for one person. I think you could bulk out with more veg to make it for 2 people at not much more cost. Maybe another 5 quid for frozen veg which would be 5 kilos. This would bring it down to 12.50 per person. From this you get your basics protein, fibre and carbs. The down side is you may be farting a bit

Red kidney beans 45p

Chickpeas 65p

Black eyed beans 45p

Butter beans 50p

Mung beans 1.45

Chickpea dal 1.50

Bag Onion 1.00

Mixed veg frozen 1.75

12 eggs 3.00

Tomato purée 65p

Chicken legs 2.00

Total 19.40"

This

South

"I think £10 for a family of 4 is pushing it but a lot of people don't have a proper grasp on reality and how much money they could save when it comes to food shopping based on need and want. There was a thread on here probably a year ago when a single guy was claiming to spend something like £100 a week on food and he couldn't comprehend how a single person could realistically have a balanced diet on less than a quarter of that. We live in a society where convenience is king and a lot of people claiming they can't live on "x" amount of money would find it a lot easier if they changed their spending habits.

I actually would be very interested to see a menu on how you think ten a week is ‘pushing it’ ......

Sorry I'm not getting your point? Are you saying it's fairly easy to feed a family of 4 on £10 a week? I'm quite clearly stating that £10 isn't enough to feed a family of 4...."

I’m saying it’s impossible not pushing it ... I’m just interested in a costed out menu behind these opinions. In my experience £20 for one adult abs two small children (who are lunch at school) was the lowest I could go in 2014. Which is far higher than the op stated

A family of 4 hamsters

By *lancmangecplCouple  over a year ago

farnborough

"Blancemanglcpl your menu is excellent. My only suggestion would be to add youghurt for calcium. A nice raitha. "

Lactose issues for me but I’d be happy to cater!!

Sorry I'm not getting your point? Are you saying it's fairly easy to feed a family of 4 on £10 a week? I'm quite clearly stating that £10 isn't enough to feed a family of 4....

I’m saying it’s impossible not pushing it ... I’m just interested in a costed out menu behind these opinions. In my experience £20 for one adult abs two small children (who are lunch at school) was the lowest I could go in 2014. Which is far higher than the op stated "

Erm I think we're on the same wave length so probably best to ask for that meal plan from the OP!

I think there's a cost to "live" and a cost to "exist" tbh. We could all "exist" on a pretty low budget, however it wouldn't be much fun and our diet would probably be pretty monotonous. On the other hand we don't all need Waitrose/ M&S premium brands to "live".

I've only had to feed myself on a low income in the past and I don't envy anyone trying to feed a full family withe very little money coming in.

South

I’m saying it’s impossible not pushing it ... I’m just interested in a costed out menu behind these opinions. In my experience £20 for one adult abs two small children (who are lunch at school) was the lowest I could go in 2014. Which is far higher than the op stated

Erm I think we're on the same wave length so probably best to ask for that meal plan from the OP!

I think there's a cost to "live" and a cost to "exist" tbh. We could all "exist" on a pretty low budget, however it wouldn't be much fun and our diet would probably be pretty monotonous. On the other hand we don't all need Waitrose/ M&S premium brands to "live".

I've only had to feed myself on a low income in the past and I don't envy anyone trying to feed a full family withe very little money coming in. "

I also think the issue is that people on low income are less likely to drive and have to rely on local shops which are more expensive. That’s not even considering vegan/ allergies etc etc etc

£10 a week. Seriously? I am on my own and dnt buy anything I dnt need and minimum I spend is £30 a week so not sure how you could feed a family of 4 for £10 wow

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

What about mortgages, rents, utility Bill's, insurance, heating, fuel etc.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

Our family of three eat very well for between £15 and £20 per head per week. That is everything, 3 meals a day 7 days a week for 3 people.

That doesn't require any thought of economising when shopping. We could cut that by a third to half without much effort.

Going much lower would require quite a bit of planning, and £10 per week in total for all three would be difficult while maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

It seems that there's a culture of shaming people who live above the breadline developing

Have you ever shopped for a family of four? "

it works out less cost effective to shop and cook for 1 so if he can shop for himself for a week it doesn’t take much to extrapolate that out for a family of 4 ... you seem to have missed the point where he has agreed that £10 is not realistic but he is 100% correct that people (including myself) are wasteful and usually value convenience over all

"Universal credit thinks a person over the age of 25 can live on £409 a month so that’s good, light, heat, council tax, transport, clothing, hair cut, prescriptions etc etc etc "

if you are on universal credit you don’t pay for council tax or prescriptions... if you are going to make a point at least make it factual

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

How much does a butler cost?

Honest to Christ, what's going on in this country? Between Brexit,folk lapping up lockdowns and calling for army on the streets and now here we have calling folk spoilt because they like a nice dinner we really are on a race to the bottom."

i think you’ve taken this as a jibe when its just a statement of fact ... we have almost unlimited choice , and many of us have the means to buy what we want, when we want ...meat every day, out of season or exotic , imported fruit and veg, takeaways no longer feel like an expensive treat , order things and its on the doorstep in a day etc etc

just because you work hard for your money it doesn’t remove the fact that current society is in a way spoiled

This thread is so depressing.

liverpool

I'm sure the fella who died of malnutrition whilst been denied benefits after been told he was fit too work,felt particularly lucky.

South

"Universal credit thinks a person over the age of 25 can live on £409 a month so that’s good, light, heat, council tax, transport, clothing, hair cut, prescriptions etc etc etc

if you are on universal credit you don’t pay for council tax or prescriptions... if you are going to make a point at least make it factual "

Yes you do if you’re deemed to be above an income threshold - council tax is reduced but even for the unemployed in my area is circa £30 a month.

"Universal credit thinks a person over the age of 25 can live on £409 a month so that’s good, light, heat, council tax, transport, clothing, hair cut, prescriptions etc etc etc

if you are on universal credit you don’t pay for council tax or prescriptions... if you are going to make a point at least make it factual

Yes you do if you’re deemed to be above an income threshold - council tax is reduced but even for the unemployed in my area is circa £30 a month. "

then if you are deemed to be above an income threshold you aren’t at the £409 minimum are you

South

Have you ever shopped for a family of four?

it works out less cost effective to shop and cook for 1 so if he can shop for himself for a week it doesn’t take much to extrapolate that out for a family of 4 ... you seem to have missed the point where he has agreed that £10 is not realistic but he is 100% correct that people (including myself) are wasteful and usually value convenience over all "

No as different people need differ t expenses a man won’t need sanitary protection nor will he need snacks to take for school .... it’s not just ‘multiply by four’ ..... nappies? Pull ups? Wipes? Does one adult male need these? You actually seem to have missed the point.

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

Unfortunately major Bill's ate unavoidable in today's society in the UK compared to WW2 and 3td world. Utility Bills, mortgages , mortgages, council tax , fuel , insurances ..... etc. Etc

South

Yes you do if you’re deemed to be above an income threshold - council tax is reduced but even for the unemployed in my area is circa £30 a month.

then if you are deemed to be above an income threshold you aren’t at the £409 minimum are you "

Sigh ... yes you are. Maybe everyone should look at the requirements of UC before they make comments that clearly show they don’t know what they’re talking about.

South

then if you are deemed to be above an income threshold you aren’t at the £409 minimum are you "

If you are working-age the most help that you can get from Council Tax Support is 82.5% of the council tax bill, leaving you at least 17.5% to pay.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

if you are on universal credit you don’t pay for council tax or prescriptions... if you are going to make a point at least make it factual "

Often the case but not always. You can be on UC and still pay council tax and prescriptions. Most people on UC at the moment work at least some of the time.

then if you are deemed to be above an income threshold you aren’t at the £409 minimum are you

If you are working-age the most help that you can get from Council Tax Support is 82.5% of the council tax bill, leaving you at least 17.5% to pay. "

it gets covered 100% in scotland and even before all prescriptions were free for all if you were on ANY form of benefit prescriptions were also free

Scotland

Honest to Christ, what's going on in this country? Between Brexit,folk lapping up lockdowns and calling for army on the streets and now here we have calling folk spoilt because they like a nice dinner we really are on a race to the bottom.

Entitled and spoiled you do realise that there are families out there in this country that work and still have to choose between eating and heating don’t you? "

Yes I do realise that but in what way does that make someone who isn't struggling spoilt?

Single guy odd takeaway average weekly shop around £60per week but I live like a king and cook everything from scratch using only British produce and I do try to get my meat from the butchers . I think for me to have beans on toast every single day twice a day would cost me more than £10 and that's just for one so don't see how a family could do it. My dogs food costs £38 and that lasts 5 weeks

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

"It seems that there's a culture of shaming people who live above the breadline developing "

I agree - we are not spoilt. We are lucky though - although some are below the breadline due to poor choices, a lot more are due to an unfortunate event like redundancy or ill health. Its insane that anyone in a rich country like Britain has to suffer from food insecurity.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I am a single man I spend between £20 & £30 a week on food, I could easily spend more or could cut down a bit but to live on £10 would be difficult if not impossible.

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

With most people who struggle it's not the food cost or the cost of food as certain items i buy now they are cheaper than when we had children the big thing is rent especially here in plymland where our local housing association deems £150 a week rent for a 2 bed flat in a far from good "Area" affordable rent ?? and as our rent since we've been under them has increased by about 5 times but our wages haven't ??

liverpool

We live in a rich country

There shouldnt even be a debate on how you can feed a family of 4 for 60 pence a day.

Poverty and inequality has been getting worse over the last few decades and needs to be addressed.The amount of people living rough and using foodbanks is a disgrace.

Sadly more people were more concerned with other matters.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Yes u could more or less b very repetitive and boring though x

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

Yes you do if you’re deemed to be above an income threshold - council tax is reduced but even for the unemployed in my area is circa £30 a month. "

A friend only receives the basic amount, but he still has to pay reduced council tax.

South

If you are working-age the most help that you can get from Council Tax Support is 82.5% of the council tax bill, leaving you at least 17.5% to pay.

it gets covered 100% in scotland and even before all prescriptions were free for all if you were on ANY form of benefit prescriptions were also free "

Not the case in England

South

Entitled and spoiled you do realise that there are families out there in this country that work and still have to choose between eating and heating don’t you?

Yes I do realise that but in what way does that make someone who isn't struggling spoilt?"

I guess that depends on what you’re doing to change the inequality - if you’re voting Tory and ignoring it then yes you’re entitled abs spoiled. If you’re doing something to change it then no you’re not.

Bridgend

"With most people who struggle it's not the food cost or the cost of food as certain items i buy now they are cheaper than when we had children the big thing is rent especially here in plymland where our local housing association deems £150 a week rent for a 2 bed flat in a far from good "Area" affordable rent ?? and as our rent since we've been under them has increased by about 5 times but our

wages haven't ?? "

Thatcherism & selling off council houses broke the system now buy to let landlords make money everyone else suffers high rents & unaffordable starter homes

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Well good for you

Yes I do realise that but in what way does that make someone who isn't struggling spoilt?

I guess that depends on what you’re doing to change the inequality - if you’re voting Tory and ignoring it then yes you’re entitled abs spoiled. If you’re doing something to change it then no you’re not. "

nothing wrong with inequality it's what gives people like me when i was younger the drive to succeed and make something of my self.

South

I guess that depends on what you’re doing to change the inequality - if you’re voting Tory and ignoring it then yes you’re entitled abs spoiled. If you’re doing something to change it then no you’re not. nothing wrong with inequality it's what gives people like me when i was younger the drive to succeed and make something of my self. "

Haha ok ...... so you advocate kids and disabled people starving as it will ‘give them a backbone’ Jesus Christ this site just keeps on giving

liverpool

I guess that depends on what you’re doing to change the inequality - if you’re voting Tory and ignoring it then yes you’re entitled abs spoiled. If you’re doing something to change it then no you’re not. nothing wrong with inequality it's what gives people like me when i was younger the drive to succeed and make something of my self. "

Nothing wrong with inequality?

liverpool

I guess that depends on what you’re doing to change the inequality - if you’re voting Tory and ignoring it then yes you’re entitled abs spoiled. If you’re doing something to change it then no you’re not. nothing wrong with inequality it's what gives people like me when i was younger the drive to succeed and make something of my self.

Haha ok ...... so you advocate kids and disabled people starving as it will ‘give them a backbone’ Jesus Christ this site just keeps on giving "

Unreal.

£10 a week for a family of four I have been doing it all wrong

£10 a head I can do but that is pretty much just one main meal a day. You would be eating a lot of toast with marmite for everything else.

You realise that a diet consisting of high carbs is dangerous in a country where most people cannot utilise that type of calorie load efficiently?

ashford

Yes u do pay for council tax and prescriptions(well I dont as over 60) but it has changed I was on UC after being redundant in july after being on furlough since march the company couldnt survive and we was made redundant I paid full council tax would have got the single person reduction if daughters didnt live here but that's it! After my rent/council tax gas/electric/water/internet (which I know is not esential) I had £70 a month left for food everything else thank god i didnt have to manage long got new job middle sep x

Yes you do. It fluctuates with your wage, regardless of whether you are working or not the most you can get is a council tax reduction and that's only for single parent households. If you work and are on Uc then you will still have to pay fully for both.

South

Yes u do pay for council tax and prescriptions(well I dont as over 60) but it has changed I was on UC after being redundant in july after being on furlough since march the company couldnt survive and we was made redundant I paid full council tax would have got the single person reduction if daughters didnt live here but that's it! After my rent/council tax gas/electric/water/internet (which I know is not esential) I had £70 a month left for food everything else thank god i didnt have to manage long got new job middle sep x"

Internet is classed as essential as you can’t manage a universal credit claim without it.

If you can’t afford to feed your kids don’t have any

South

"If you can’t afford to feed your kids don’t have any"

And if your kids are now say 8 and your circumstances have changed? You can’t just send them back.

Another thing you're missing is that 10 pound gets people less and less with each passing month.

"If you can’t afford to feed your kids don’t have any

And if your kids are now say 8 and your circumstances have changed? You can’t just send them back. "

Most of these people who can’t afford to feed there kids still have i phones and widescreen tvs get your priorities right

liverpool

"If you can’t afford to feed your kids don’t have any"

Shall we sterilise the poor?

South

And if your kids are now say 8 and your circumstances have changed? You can’t just send them back.

Most of these people who can’t afford to feed there kids still have i phones and widescreen tvs get your priorities right "

And you know that how? The sun? The daily fail? Have you any actual hands on experience or just spouting some second hand sound bites that you heard on the TV? Where is your compassion?

ashford

Ok I took the challenge and costed it out!

Tesco

Hearty food pasta 29p

Rice 45p

Frozen s corn 77p

Tin kidney beans 30p

Frozen peas 64p

1 kg sweet pots 89p

Imperfect carrots 53p

Potatoes 80p

Neville's bread 2 x 36p

Creamfield cheese block 1.79

Eggs (15) 1.18

Milk 4pt 1.09

Onion 10p

Porridge 75p

80 t bags 55p

Bog roll 1.90

Comes in just under £13

Would assume u had store cupboard basics salt/pepper/curry powder etc.,

And would b boring but u could feed 4 on that for a week cooking from scratch more realistic would b £20 a week to include washing stuff I have done washing without laundry liquid when I have had none in past as I say very grim and just surviving but can b done x

liverpool

Most of these people who can’t afford to feed there kids still have i phones and widescreen tvs get your priorities right "

And you presumably you have met them all and know their personal circumstances?

South

"Ok I took the challenge and costed it out!

Tesco

Hearty food pasta 29p

Rice 45p

Frozen s corn 77p

Tin kidney beans 30p

Frozen peas 64p

1 kg sweet pots 89p

Imperfect carrots 53p

Potatoes 80p

Neville's bread 2 x 36p

Eggs (15) 1.18

Milk 4pt 1.09

Onion 10p

Porridge 75p

80 t bags 55p

Bog roll 1.90

Comes in just under £13

And would b boring but u could feed 4 on that for a week cooking from scratch more realistic would b £20 a week to include washing stuff I have done washing without laundry liquid when I have had none in past as I say very grim and just surviving but can b done x"

Haha well done! Would need to add toiletries into that I guess too. I’d think it would be existing rather than living but good to see it

ashford

Yes u do pay for council tax and prescriptions(well I dont as over 60) but it has changed I was on UC after being redundant in july after being on furlough since march the company couldnt survive and we was made redundant I paid full council tax would have got the single person reduction if daughters didnt live here but that's it! After my rent/council tax gas/electric/water/internet (which I know is not esential) I had £70 a month left for food everything else thank god i didnt have to manage long got new job middle sep x

Internet is classed as essential as you can’t manage a universal credit claim without it."

At the moment yes but last time I was on it I could use the job center computer x

That's a blinkered take, I have a teenage son, in the years he has been alive the price of mostly everything has gone upwards by 50 percent due to inflation, if not more, meanwhile wages have gone up by a max of 3 pound an hour. There is a reason why families are struggling all across the cou try and it isn't down to laziness, but actually down to the actual cost of living.

South

Internet is classed as essential as you can’t manage a universal credit claim without it.

At the moment yes but last time I was on it I could use the job center computer x"

Yes I guess - I’ve never claimed but work with people that do and people who don’t have internet are really struggling. Being sanctioned for not attending phone appointments they don’t know they have as they have no internet ... mad!

ashford

"Ok I took the challenge and costed it out!

Tesco

Hearty food pasta 29p

Rice 45p

Frozen s corn 77p

Tin kidney beans 30p

Frozen peas 64p

1 kg sweet pots 89p

Imperfect carrots 53p

Potatoes 80p

Neville's bread 2 x 36p

Eggs (15) 1.18

Milk 4pt 1.09

Onion 10p

Porridge 75p

80 t bags 55p

Bog roll 1.90

Comes in just under £13

And would b boring but u could feed 4 on that for a week cooking from scratch more realistic would b £20 a week to include washing stuff I have done washing without laundry liquid when I have had none in past as I say very grim and just surviving but can b done x

Haha well done! Would need to add toiletries into that I guess too. I’d think it would be existing rather than living but good to see it "

Yes it would b just existing! Have existed many a few years in past though! And was very tough when kids were small! And u had to say no to a cheap packet of sweets! x

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple  over a year ago

norwich

"

I’m saying it’s impossible not pushing it ... I’m just interested in a costed out menu behind these opinions. In my experience £20 for one adult abs two small children (who are lunch at school) was the lowest I could go in 2014. Which is far higher than the op stated "

Even feeding a family of 3 on £20 is an amazing feat. Must have taken a lot of planning and sacrifice x

liverpool

[Removed by poster at 23/12/20 12:11:46]

Then you wonder why alot of us americans hunt and fish. It's crazy to think you can't put meats on the table.

ashford

"

Even feeding a family of 3 on £20 is an amazing feat. Must have taken a lot of planning and sacrifice x"

I could make a week menu plan with the ingredients I quoted x

"Then you wonder why alot of us americans hunt and fish. It's crazy to think you can't put meats on the table."

No, we wonder why you can walk into a gun shop and leave with a machine gun

"Then you wonder why alot of us americans hunt and fish. It's crazy to think you can't put meats on the table.

No, we wonder why you can walk into a gun shop and leave with a machine gun "

They are not machine guns. They are no different than any semi automatic weapon you can purchase. Pistol shotgun rifle.

"Then you wonder why alot of us americans hunt and fish. It's crazy to think you can't put meats on the table.

No, we wonder why you can walk into a gun shop and leave with a machine gun

They are not machine guns. They are no different than any semi automatic weapon you can purchase. Pistol shotgun rifle."

Fishing with American's is far too easy. I'm going to enjoy living in New York

Bridgend

"Then you wonder why alot of us americans hunt and fish. It's crazy to think you can't put meats on the table."

only the rich hunt & fish here, the rest of us are accused of being poachers

I can never understand why people on benefits have subscription TV services, it's not essential. That same money put into a savings account would put a child through university. This is why the rich tend not to give a damn about the poor, because they make terrible life choices, which perpetually traps them into poverty. If for example we look at the Indian community, they put everything into their kid's education, so in just a couple of generations of being in this country they are middle class.

ashford

"I can never understand why people on benefits have subscription TV services, it's not essential. That same money put into a savings account would put a child through university. This is why the rich tend not to give a damn about the poor, because they make terrible life choices, which perpetually traps them into poverty. If for example we look at the Indian community, they put everything into their kid's education, so in just a couple of generations of being in this country they are middle class. "
that's very harsh! X

liverpool

"I can never understand why people on benefits have subscription TV services, it's not essential. That same money put into a savings account would put a child through university. This is why the rich tend not to give a damn about the poor, because they make terrible life choices, which perpetually traps them into poverty. If for example we look at the Indian community, they put everything into their kid's education, so in just a couple of generations of being in this country they are middle class. "

The difference Is..the rich can make as many bad decisions as they like.

It doesn't matter.

"I can never understand why people on benefits have subscription TV services, it's not essential. That same money put into a savings account would put a child through university. This is why the rich tend not to give a damn about the poor, because they make terrible life choices, which perpetually traps them into poverty. If for example we look at the Indian community, they put everything into their kid's education, so in just a couple of generations of being in this country they are middle class.

It doesn't matter."

They have a margin for error, but most rich people don't carelessly spend their available money. If you put just £12 a month away (Netflix and Disney plus subscription combined), after 18 years in a modest 6% interest savings account, it's going to be £4468 by your kid's 18th birthday.

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

If the rich do make bad life decisions ( think of the banking crisis) guess what ? we all pay for it apart from of course them !! and no we aren't anti rich either

liverpool

"If the rich do make bad life decisions ( think of the banking crisis) guess what ? we all pay for it apart from of course them !! and no we aren't anti rich either "

Spot on

Bridgend

"I can never understand why people on benefits have subscription TV services, it's not essential. That same money put into a savings account would put a child through university. This is why the rich tend not to give a damn about the poor, because they make terrible life choices, which perpetually traps them into poverty. If for example we look at the Indian community, they put everything into their kid's education, so in just a couple of generations of being in this country they are middle class.

It doesn't matter.

They have a margin for error, but most rich people don't carelessly spend their available money. If you put just £12 a month away (Netflix and Disney plus subscription combined), after 18 years in a modest 6% interest savings account, it's going to be £4468 by your kid's 18th birthday.

"

so its ok for children to suffer if their parents have made poor choices & are not good with money?

liverpool

It doesn't matter.

"

1st of all you are assuming everything Pays those subscriptions.

Anyone with half a brain would get one of those boxes.

Secondly you will lose money on uc if you have savings over 6k and you will lose any right to claim if you have over 16k.

The system is rigged from tur very start.

You would be very naive not to realise that.

"If the rich do make bad life decisions ( think of the banking crisis) guess what ? we all pay for it apart from of course them !! and no we aren't anti rich either

Spot on"

Financial crashes are part of capitalism, it's always been that way. I'm yet to see a better system that doesn't involve some military dictator blaming a minority and ending freedom.

How many commenting here have actually seen real poverty and i dont mean on the TV..TVs, mobile phones Internet etc arent essentials but if you can't afford them in the UK your below the so called poverty line..when you see poverty first hand many dont have running water, toilets connected to drains, electricity or gas. Cheese, fish and meat in any form is a real treat or luxury...free health care etc...most in Britain are so privileged compared to many countries they dont begin to understand or comprehend real poverty the closest they will ever come is on the TV or maybe a day trip when holiday to an all inclusive resort/hotel to see the local culture..

ashford

It doesn't matter.

"

But the subscription will give the kids 18 years of pleasure in winter months! With not much else to entertain them x

only the rich hunt & fish here, the rest of us are accused of being poachers "

You can't get a hunting license there ?

liverpool

"If the rich do make bad life decisions ( think of the banking crisis) guess what ? we all pay for it apart from of course them !! and no we aren't anti rich either

Spot on

Financial crashes are part of capitalism, it's always been that way. I'm yet to see a better system that doesn't involve some military dictator blaming a minority and ending freedom. "

Yet we bail them out?

"I can never understand why people on benefits have subscription TV services, it's not essential. That same money put into a savings account would put a child through university. This is why the rich tend not to give a damn about the poor, because they make terrible life choices, which perpetually traps them into poverty. If for example we look at the Indian community, they put everything into their kid's education, so in just a couple of generations of being in this country they are middle class. that's very harsh! X"

My thoughts exactly. I'm in benefits as a full time single Mother and also work, after leaving an abusive relationship. I pay for subscription TV because that's my downtime when the little one has gone to bed.

IF my child wants to go to University, there's Student Loans England which is what put me through Uni along with working through summers. I never relied on money from my parents and I'm proud of that.

It doesn't matter.

Secondly you will lose money on uc if you have savings over 6k and you will lose any right to claim if you have over 16k.

You would be very naive not to realise that."

I don't know about universal credit because I work my ass off and travel to anywhere there is work in Europe to make sure I can provide for my kids. You can learn anything in a night class or online to get the skills to get well paid work.

liverpool

"How many commenting here have actually seen real poverty and i dont mean on the TV..TVs, mobile phones Internet etc arent essentials but if you can't afford them in the UK your below the so called poverty line..when you see poverty first hand many dont have running water, toilets connected to drains, electricity or gas. Cheese, fish and meat in any form is a real treat or luxury...free health care etc...most in Britain are so privileged compared to many countries they dont begin to understand or comprehend real poverty the closest they will ever come is on the TV or maybe a day trip when holiday to an all inclusive resort/hotel to see the local culture.."

There is a difference between absolute and relative poverty.

We live in a country where people live in mansions and have holiday homes abroad...whilst others struggle to feed their kids.

It is obscene

liverpool

It doesn't matter.

I don't know about universal credit because I work my ass off and travel to anywhere there is work in Europe to make sure I can provide for my kids. You can learn anything in a night class or online to get the skills to get well paid work. "

Some people dont have them opportunities

"How many commenting here have actually seen real poverty and i dont mean on the TV..TVs, mobile phones Internet etc arent essentials but if you can't afford them in the UK your below the so called poverty line..when you see poverty first hand many dont have running water, toilets connected to drains, electricity or gas. Cheese, fish and meat in any form is a real treat or luxury...free health care etc...most in Britain are so privileged compared to many countries they dont begin to understand or comprehend real poverty the closest they will ever come is on the TV or maybe a day trip when holiday to an all inclusive resort/hotel to see the local culture..

We live in a country where people live in mansions and have holiday homes abroad...whilst others struggle to feed their kids.

It is obscene "

Being reliant on the government is not a way to live. Going through the same thing here. Big cities people are hurting. They finding out real quick that self reliance suffices your family better.

You can't.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

I spent several years surviving on £5 a week for food after being made redundant.

I also couldn't afford to top up my gas meter, so no heat or hot water.

It was not a good experience and eventually made me very ill.

liverpool

"How many commenting here have actually seen real poverty and i dont mean on the TV..TVs, mobile phones Internet etc arent essentials but if you can't afford them in the UK your below the so called poverty line..when you see poverty first hand many dont have running water, toilets connected to drains, electricity or gas. Cheese, fish and meat in any form is a real treat or luxury...free health care etc...most in Britain are so privileged compared to many countries they dont begin to understand or comprehend real poverty the closest they will ever come is on the TV or maybe a day trip when holiday to an all inclusive resort/hotel to see the local culture..

It is obscene

Being reliant on the government is not a way to live. Going through the same thing here. Big cities people are hurting. They finding out real quick that self reliance suffices your family better."

It's nothing about being reliant

Its providing a lifeline.

oldham

"If the rich do make bad life decisions ( think of the banking crisis) guess what ? we all pay for it apart from of course them !! and no we aren't anti rich either "

You are quite right we do all suffer... But on the flip side of that what about the less fortunate.. Less educated who flood the world with kids, they have neither the resources or discipline to look after. Don't we all pay for that?

No they aren't, they happen due to greed.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

You can't get a hunting license there ?"

You can but it’s heavily restricted and a one stop shop, different licences for different types, as with fishing to

https://www.gov.uk/hunting

It is obscene

Being reliant on the government is not a way to live. Going through the same thing here. Big cities people are hurting. They finding out real quick that self reliance suffices your family better.

It's nothing about being reliant

Its providing a lifeline."

And both our goverments are failing miserably. We been helping families survive with what we can help with food wise. It is a horrible situation.

ashford

It doesn't matter.

I don't know about universal credit because I work my ass off and travel to anywhere there is work in Europe to make sure I can provide for my kids. You can learn anything in a night class or online to get the skills to get well paid work. "

Then u have been one of the lucky ones! It's not allways that simple! X

liverpool

You are quite right we do all suffer... But on the flip side of that what about the less fortunate.. Less educated who flood the world with kids, they have neither the resources or discipline to look after. Don't we all pay for that? "

How do they flood the world with kids exactly?

What does education have to do with having children? There are many educated people who are horrible parents, the neglect in higher educated, well off families is rampant.

liverpool

"What does education have to do with having children? There are many educated people who are horrible parents, the neglect in higher educated, well off families is rampant. "

Apparently the poor should be sterlised

Scotland

I guess that depends on what you’re doing to change the inequality - if you’re voting Tory and ignoring it then yes you’re entitled abs spoiled. If you’re doing something to change it then no you’re not. "

That's a bit of a stretch but for the record I'm Scottish and haven't voted Tory in my life.

Bridgend

You can't get a hunting license there ?"

gun licence is expensive & under police control legal access to hunting & fishing is very expensive as its owned by rich land owners who employ game keepers to keep working men off their ground

It doesn't matter.

Do you take the kids with you?

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

Never thought Jacob Rees-Morgue would sign up here.

gun licence is expensive & under police control legal access to hunting & fishing is very expensive as its owned by rich land owners who employ game keepers to keep working men off their ground "

That is crazy. We have 30 acres and we let people hunt on it if they ask first. Pheasant turkey grouse ( it's a wild chicken )and deer. It pains me too see what is going on.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"What does education have to do with having children? There are many educated people who are horrible parents, the neglect in higher educated, well off families is rampant.

Apparently the poor should be sterlised"

But who would do my gardening and keep the shops open 7 days a week?

"What does education have to do with having children? There are many educated people who are horrible parents, the neglect in higher educated, well off families is rampant.

Apparently the poor should be sterlised

But who would do my gardening and keep the shops open 7 days a week? "

Drones

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Why is this in the Virus section?

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

It doesn't matter.

"

Two points, Firstly where do you get 6% interest on savings in the present climate and secondly what will £4468 buy in 18 years time?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Why is this in the Virus section? "

Because it seems the op is drawing parallels with the first world war and the pandemic. The discussion has broadened out since though

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It doesn't matter.

Two points, Firstly where do you get 6% interest on savings in the present climate and secondly what will £4468 buy in 18 years time?"

I'd like to know the answer to your first question

liverpool

It doesn't matter.

Two points, Firstly where do you get 6% interest on savings in the present climate and secondly what will £4468 buy in 18 years time?"

A bowl of coco pops?

It doesn't matter.

Good points

Well made

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

"Why is this in the Virus section?

Because it seems the op is drawing parallels with the first world war and the pandemic. The discussion has broadened out since though "

I'm not sure how you can draw parallels with a war that happened 80 years ago.

Life and society was so different back then and that was a war with a visible enemy. Not a pandemic with an invisible virus.

The only thing in common is that lots of people died during both and are still dying now.

With respect to anyone who has lost somebody close.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I can never understand why people on benefits have subscription TV services, it's not essential. That same money put into a savings account would put a child through university. This is why the rich tend not to give a damn about the poor, because they make terrible life choices, which perpetually traps them into poverty. If for example we look at the Indian community, they put everything into their kid's education, so in just a couple of generations of being in this country they are middle class. that's very harsh! X"
very harsh.

Bridgend

gun licence is expensive & under police control legal access to hunting & fishing is very expensive as its owned by rich land owners who employ game keepers to keep working men off their ground

That is crazy. We have 30 acres and we let people hunt on it if they ask first. Pheasant turkey grouse ( it's a wild chicken )and deer. It pains me too see what is going on."

America is a big country, we live on a small overcrowded Island

What happened to community ffs. Help your neighborhood any way you can. Just because you are working doesn't mean you can't help. Quit relying on government handouts it doesn't take much to be a decent human being.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Why is this in the Virus section?

Because it seems the op is drawing parallels with the first world war and the pandemic. The discussion has broadened out since though

I'm not sure how you can draw parallels with a war that happened 80 years ago.

Life and society was so different back then and that was a war with a visible enemy. Not a pandemic with an invisible virus.

The only thing in common is that lots of people died during both and are still dying now.

With respect to anyone who has lost somebody close. "

I think certain parallels can be drawn but it's not a very useful exercise. It's basically saying out up with crap because your grandfather did.

By *olly4Woman  over a year ago

Newcastle

"Universal credit thinks a person over the age of 25 can live on £409 a month so that’s good, light, heat, council tax, transport, clothing, hair cut, prescriptions etc etc etc "

But if you don't have a job how much do you need to spend on transport? Where are you going?

You also don't need a haircut or new clothes every month.

Your councy tax is paid for you, as is your house, if you rent. So are your prescriptions. So you're left with £100 for bills and food, seems do able for a single person to me.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"What happened to community ffs. Help your neighborhood any way you can. Just because you are working doesn't mean you can't help. Quit relying on government handouts it doesn't take much to be a decent human being."

There is a huge community helping behind the scenes. Unfortunately that doesn't make for good headlines.

liverpool

"What happened to community ffs. Help your neighborhood any way you can. Just because you are working doesn't mean you can't help. Quit relying on government handouts it doesn't take much to be a decent human being."

Have exactly do you financially support a family..if you are struggling yourself?

liverpool

As for relying on gmnt handouts..when you work all your life,you pay into this.

So if you do lose your job..there is a safety net you have contributed towards.

It's nothing to do with replying on 'handouts "

On a mooch

"What happened to community ffs. Help your neighborhood any way you can. Just because you are working doesn't mean you can't help. Quit relying on government handouts it doesn't take much to be a decent human being.

Have exactly do you financially support a family..if you are struggling yourself?"

It doesn’t have to be financial, eg I cook meals for two but most are based on ingredients for four, instead of freezing the other two portions I could give that to a family in need that I know.

"What happened to community ffs. Help your neighborhood any way you can. Just because you are working doesn't mean you can't help. Quit relying on government handouts it doesn't take much to be a decent human being.

There is a huge community helping behind the scenes. Unfortunately that doesn't make for good headlines. "

No need for headlines and sensationalism. It causes malcontent they way things get spun around throwing blame does not solve a immediate issue of hungry families. You can blame a government all you want it's people helping people that will get the world thru this.

liverpool

Have exactly do you financially support a family..if you are struggling yourself?

It doesn’t have to be financial, eg I cook meals for two but most are based on ingredients for four, instead of freezing the other two portions I could give that to a family in need that I know. "

Well that probally goes on..but when its comes to financial support..it shouldn't be down to the Neighbourhood.

We are supposed to have a welfare system in this country and people shouldnt be stigmatised for using it

liverpool

There is a huge community helping behind the scenes. Unfortunately that doesn't make for good headlines.

No need for headlines and sensationalism. It causes malcontent they way things get spun around throwing blame does not solve a immediate issue of hungry families. You can blame a government all you want it's people helping people that will get the world thru this."

You live in completely different culture.

We have a welfare system that we all pay into.

On a mooch

No need for headlines and sensationalism. It causes malcontent they way things get spun around throwing blame does not solve a immediate issue of hungry families. You can blame a government all you want it's people helping people that will get the world thru this."

Agree helping others doesn’t need to hit the news, we have a good community project running and the team are providing 2000 hot meals a day over a four week period to the locals. All done through donations from restaurants, shops and local public donations whether cash or fresh food, they are just continuing the work of free food parcels to anyone in the area since March that need them.

It doesn’t have to be financial, eg I cook meals for two but most are based on ingredients for four, instead of freezing the other two portions I could give that to a family in need that I know.

Well that probally goes on..but when its comes to financial support..it shouldn't be down to the Neighbourhood.

We are supposed to have a welfare system in this country and people shouldnt be stigmatised for using it

."

No they shouldn't it's life and death for them. We see it here so many people not working because of shutdown. Then it takes months for financial support from the feds and states. What are they supposed to do starve ? Hubby and I got vilified for hunting on these forums but in the end run we helped ALOT of people put food on the table. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. We have that luxury to help and we do.

On a mooch

."

We do and you can pay into all your life, put money aside for your retirement and then an accident means you can no longer do your job. Try getting assistance to be told come back when all your savings are gone and you need to sell your home, but hey we’ll give you £20.54 for four weeks. So it doesn’t always work

But if you don't have a job how much do you need to spend on transport? Where are you going?

You also don't need a haircut or new clothes every month.

Your councy tax is paid for you, as is your house, if you rent. So are your prescriptions. So you're left with £100 for bills and food, seems do able for a single person to me. "

council tax and housing is not paid 100%. Your expected to be doing a lot of travelling to be fair.. travelling to job interviews, job centre. Appointments.. not everyone lives within walking distance of a shop either it job centre. For me if I needed one my local one is 8.7 miles away.

Leicestershire

"

Your councy tax is paid for you, as is your house, if you rent. So are your prescriptions. "

Council tax is not paid in full - you generally get a reduction.

Going to be a pain in the arse here - unless people are eating a load of black beans, soya beans, tofu/tempeh, or wheat protein isolate - people do need, meat, fish, egg or a meat substitute like Quorn.

Lentils ect are wonderfully healthy, but sadly they like certain amino acids which our bodies need for growth and repair.

Unless people are going to be given whole amino acid meat alternatives; see list above, you're actually advocating for deliberate malnutrition of the poor/homeless ect.

Poor nutrition and restricted diet leads to stunted growth in children, low energy, poor focus, lower academic/vocational achievement in kids, teenagers, and adults.

liverpool

We do and you can pay into all your life, put money aside for your retirement and then an accident means you can no longer do your job. Try getting assistance to be told come back when all your savings are gone and you need to sell your home, but hey we’ll give you £20.54 for four weeks. So it doesn’t always work "

It's far from perfect and that firm that they use, I cant remember the name, are borderline inhuman.

But we have become a country which stigmatises the most vulnerable.

By *aughtybutnice97Man  over a year ago

leicester

Living off 0 pennies a day is possible! Many people do it, they get their food from places like pizza shops when they make too many and they’ll just get thrown away.

If you’re talking about eating a healthy and balanced diet every day for no fee then I’d say it’s extremely unlikely though.

On a mooch

We do and you can pay into all your life, put money aside for your retirement and then an accident means you can no longer do your job. Try getting assistance to be told come back when all your savings are gone and you need to sell your home, but hey we’ll give you £20.54 for four weeks. So it doesn’t always work

It's far from perfect and that firm that they use, I cant remember the name, are borderline inhuman.

But we have become a country which stigmatises the most vulnerable. "

It isn’t and I can clearly see why people get angry with those that “live” on it rather than trying to work. However in the current circumstances if we didn’t have it a lot more would be suffering than they are.

It’s an institution I’ve paid into all my adult life but never expect to get a penny out of it, my parents situation showed me that.

Manchester

Have exactly do you financially support a family..if you are struggling yourself?"

Nobody and i mean nobody is "struggling" in UK go to parts of the middle east or war torn Africa, Asia, you'll find real poverty........ let's keep it in the real WORLD. Nobody is risking life and limb and/or paying thousands to go and live in those places

Manchester

"Living off 0 pennies a day is possible! Many people do it, they get their food from places like pizza shops when they make too many and they’ll just get thrown away.

If you’re talking about eating a healthy and balanced diet every day for no fee then I’d say it’s extremely unlikely though."

Well said

liverpool

Nobody and i mean nobody is "struggling" in UK go to parts of the middle east or war torn Africa, Asia, you'll find real poverty........ let's keep it in the real WORLD. Nobody is risking life and limb and/or paying thousands to go and live in those places"

A man died from malnutrition a few years ago.

He was deemed fit enough to work and was denied benefits.

How is that not struggling exactly?

Leicestershire

"

"

There have been a few of them but I'm guessing Capita or Atos is one you're thinking of...

liverpool

"

There have been a few of them but I'm guessing Capita or Atos is one you're thinking of..."

Atos I think it is.

If you can walk 10 feet you are deemed fit enough to work

Nobody and i mean nobody is "struggling" in UK go to parts of the middle east or war torn Africa, Asia, you'll find real poverty........ let's keep it in the real WORLD. Nobody is risking life and limb and/or paying thousands to go and live in those places"

try telling that to those living on the streets

Manchester

Nobody and i mean nobody is "struggling" in UK go to parts of the middle east or war torn Africa, Asia, you'll find real poverty........ let's keep it in the real WORLD. Nobody is risking life and limb and/or paying thousands to go and live in those places

How is that not struggling exactly?"

Given what you have said;

Then the lazy 'fit enough to work' guy should go to work, but that i assume is a one of, nowhere is perfect and we can all name a few examples to back up anything but it doesn't make the argument right.

liverpool

Then the lazy 'fit enough to work' guy should go to work, but that i assume is a one of, nowhere is perfect and we can all name a few examples to back up anything but it doesn't make the argument right."

Someone with malnutrition should be made to work

Serously?

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 23/12/20 15:54:47]

Leicestershire

"

There have been a few of them but I'm guessing Capita or Atos is one you're thinking of...

Atos I think it is.

"

Yeah

They also decided that anyone not prescribed opiates for pain relief were fit to work as well.

Manchester

Nobody and i mean nobody is "struggling" in UK go to parts of the middle east or war torn Africa, Asia, you'll find real poverty........ let's keep it in the real WORLD. Nobody is risking life and limb and/or paying thousands to go and live in those places try telling that to those living on the streets "

I know personally a lot of those living on the streets and some of them are happy to be there, better than trying to live on the streets in Saudi for example

Manchester

Then the lazy 'fit enough to work' guy should go to work, but that i assume is a one of, nowhere is perfect and we can all name a few examples to back up anything but it doesn't make the argument right.

Serously?"

You said he died from malnutrition not that it was his reason for not getting benefits. What caused his malnutrition???? spending money or drugs, gambling, lets hear the whole story not sound bites

Nobody and i mean nobody is "struggling" in UK go to parts of the middle east or war torn Africa, Asia, you'll find real poverty........ let's keep it in the real WORLD. Nobody is risking life and limb and/or paying thousands to go and live in those places try telling that to those living on the streets

I know personally a lot of those living on the streets and some of them are happy to be there, better than trying to live on the streets in Saudi for example

"

not often words fail me but certainly those I've worked with would much rather be living off the streets... have you ever lived on the streets or had zero money coming in??? Please dont tell me that isnt struggling.

liverpool

Serously?

You said he died from malnutrition not that it was his reason for not getting benefits. What caused his malnutrition???? spending money or drugs, gambling, lets hear the whole story not sound bites"

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/21/stephen-smith-liverpool-seriously-ill-emaciated-man-denied-benefits-dwp-dies

Yep spot on..he was probally in the boozer even night the lazy twat

Manchester

"

Atos I think it is.

Yeah

They also decided that anyone not prescribed opiates for pain relief were fit to work as well.

"

Oh this is a good one my son is addicted to drugs cos the to$$ers in the NHS prescribed him drugs till he was addicted.......... don't go there

Nobody and i mean nobody is "struggling" in UK go to parts of the middle east or war torn Africa, Asia, you'll find real poverty........ let's keep it in the real WORLD. Nobody is risking life and limb and/or paying thousands to go and live in those places try telling that to those living on the streets

"

Yet there is families with no source of income I guess it ok with you for them to be living on the streets.