FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > 2% of Londoners have Covid.

2% of Londoners have Covid.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hechairman18 OP   Man  over a year ago

Salford Quays , Manchester

It's just been announced 24/12/2020, that 2% of Londoners have Covid.

By definition, this means that 98% of Londoners DON'T have it.

Let's just get on with our lives.

Merry Christmas.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"It's just been announced 24/12/2020, that 2% of Londoners have Covid.

Merry Christmas."

The big problem with 2% of Londoners having covid, especially the possibility of it being the new faster spreading kind, is that unchecked, 2% is 4% next week. And 8% the week after. 16% by mid January, 32% third week of January, 64% by end of January. That equates to between 50,000 and 100,000 dead by the end of January. In London alone.

So no, probably not a good idea to for everyone to crack on with their lives as if things were normal, because if they do there's going to be a hell of a lot where their life is only another 4 to 6 weeks.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

OP I'd listen to Polly if I were you

She knows stuff

"OP I'd listen to Polly if I were you

She knows stuff"

I agree with that

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

Merry Christmas.

The big problem with 2% of Londoners having covid, especially the possibility of it being the new faster spreading kind, is that unchecked, 2% is 4% next week. And 8% the week after. 16% by mid January, 32% third week of January, 64% by end of January. That equates to between 50,000 and 100,000 dead by the end of January. In London alone.

So no, probably not a good idea to for everyone to crack on with their lives as if things were normal, because if they do there's going to be a hell of a lot where their life is only another 4 to 6 weeks."

Especially if its all new improved covid with added infectiousness. That will spread through an undergound carriage like a dose of salts.

"OP I'd listen to Polly if I were you

She knows stuff

I agree with that "

Polly told me back in March " people will need a health certificate to fly"

I laughed

I aint laughing anymore

Merry Christmas.

So no, probably not a good idea to for everyone to crack on with their lives as if things were normal, because if they do there's going to be a hell of a lot where their life is only another 4 to 6 weeks.

Especially if its all new improved covid with added infectiousness. That will spread through an undergound carriage like a dose of salts."

I heard on the radio earlier that 2 out of 3 if the infections there were from the new strain...so it look worryingly like it is gathering some momentum

Merry Christmas."

And the bellend post of 2020 goes to...

2% have it, the R rate is above 1.... give it a week, 5% will have it, 2 weeks, 10%, 3 weeks, 20%, 4 weeks, 40%...

I’m sure anyone working London’s ICU’s will love your flippant and to be blunt fkn selfish view.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Merry Christmas."

Let's just get on with our lives appropriately, which will not be as they were for quite some time. As Polly highlights, just having fairly slow growth in infected people in London,, can mean an awful tragedy for too many. If the 2& are actively socially, they may spread it to a greater number of people than the average person. The doubling of numbers can also escalate its rate, so doubling occurs in ever shorter time periods.

OP are you aware that 2% of Londoners Is 200000 people. That is the equivalent population of many small cities and towns in the UK.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Oh crikey

That’s 2% that are aware they have it, equate that to UK towns and it’s all residents of Aberdeen or Bolton or Bournemouth.

Our numbers have trebled and not doubled, as predicted, in two weeks. Those mostly affected are 20-50, a switch from earlier in the year, along with significant increases in 15-19 and 20-29.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

We will have herd immunity before we know it at this rate.

"We will have herd immunity before we know it at this rate."

Read the second post....and you still think the costs of your herd immunity is worth the deaths?...seriously

"We will have herd immunity before we know it at this rate.

Read the second post....and you still think the costs of your herd immunity is worth the deaths?...seriously "

Unfortunately many see the elderly or people with underlying conditions as collateral damage.

Read the second post....and you still think the costs of your herd immunity is worth the deaths?...seriously

Unfortunately many see the elderly or people with underlying conditions as collateral damage."

Yep and it's been the same ones since this started.

Merry Christmas.

So no, probably not a good idea to for everyone to crack on with their lives as if things were normal, because if they do there's going to be a hell of a lot where their life is only another 4 to 6 weeks."

If the 2% is 200,000 * then at those rates in 6 months time there would be 6,710,886,400,000 people infected.

* far to lazy to check London population.

Merry Christmas.

If the 2% is 200,000 * then at those rates in 6 months time there would be 6,710,886,400,000 people infected.

* far to lazy to check London population."

I reckon its about right seeing is the population of London is around 10 million.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I wonder just how many of the 2% have just spread all over the country for Christmas?

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

[Removed by poster at 24/12/20 16:49:25]

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I dont really believe any of the figures, you can expect it to be alot less, but yes it is hardly anyone, as you have to go by the total population of 9304000 mill and divide it by that, when they say they have it, it could also be a mild symptoms of it.

"I wonder just how many of the 2% have just spread all over the country for Christmas? "

Look at it the other way round. How many have contracted it outside london and gone back there with it.

"I dont really believe any of the figures, you can expect it to be alot less, but yes it is hardly anyone, as you have to go by the total population of 9304000 mill and divide it by that, when they say they have it, it could also be a mild symptoms of it."

Hardly anyone! you being serious?

Seeing as the vast majority of people thet have it are asymptomatic it is likely to far higher than the numbers quoted.

"I wonder just how many of the 2% have just spread all over the country for Christmas?

Look at it the other way round. How many have contracted it outside london and gone back there with it."

Exactly

People travelling anywhere. And mixing with other humans, anywhere

Can spread it

Which is why we are all confined to our homes!

"I wonder just how many of the 2% have just spread all over the country for Christmas?

Look at it the other way round. How many have contracted it outside london and gone back there with it.

Exactly

People travelling anywhere. And mixing with other humans, anywhere

Can spread it

Which is why we are all confined to our homes!"

However all across the forums people are just saying they should do what they think is right for their family.

People are actively encouraging people to travel even when thay have said they aren't sure if they should.

We have admitted our 3rd double infected patient this week... forget herd immunity

Derry

"I dont really believe any of the figures, you can expect it to be alot less, but yes it is hardly anyone, as you have to go by the total population of 9304000 mill and divide it by that, when they say they have it, it could also be a mild symptoms of it."

Every claim above is without any foundation in reality.

We have admitted our 3rd double infected patient this week... forget herd immunity"

Oh crap, thats really bad news.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

We have admitted our 3rd double infected patient this week... forget herd immunity"

Poor soul

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

You could have it mildly shag and give it to your mum, grandparent who might have it severely with potentially fatal consequences..

Do the math on what 2% of the population of London is and divide that figure with the number of icu beds in the capital .

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Really! Oh crap.

By *uriouslatexTV/TS  over a year ago

Norfolk

Another thing to remember that the ONS statistics are a week behind, i.e. these are upto 18th Dec, and around the time/before London went to Tier 4 nearly.

So if 2% had it then, places were still open before Tier 4, don't be shocked to see this increase with the next batch of ONS statistics.

By *asIsaCouple  over a year ago

harrow

Merry Christmas.

Absolutely spot in , well said

in Lancashire

We have admitted our 3rd double infected patient this week... forget herd immunity

Oh crap, thats really bad news. "

Not good at all..

By *asIsaCouple  over a year ago

harrow

Merry Christmas."

Wow! Thought I'd heard it all but that's the height of it! Are people that ignorant?!

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Really! Oh crap. "

Serious question, Charli - how is CMFT evidencing re-infection, seeing as the overwhelming majority of cases in which first wave were never actually identified by PCR test? My infection included (I had Covid in the last week of March but they were only testing people admitted to hospital. Antibody testing by the NHS in August confirmed antibodies). Very few people before July/August had swab tests done and antibody testing by the NHS limited to certain individuals/situations.

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple  over a year ago

norwich

Merry Christmas.

Your numbers are utter nonsense, we have enough experience of Covid to know that 100,000 dead by the end of January is never going to happen, lockdown or not.

Central

It's not a worthwhile solution, unless from vaccination.

Too many people, in excess of the deaths, get organ damage and failure, others get crippling long covid and many will experience life long invisible damage that they don't even know they have but could predispose them for other fatalities in the future,

covid nonsense

We should be allowed to get on with our normal lives now

I refuse to wear a mask

Total b sh#t

Central

Shag - have you researched how the figures are produced, where they are derived from? We have to have some figures to rely on, so they need to be accurate and guide decisions, for the care and well-being of the population and country.

The official numbers are the ones to use and don't need dividing by anything. Not everyone will be tested, so you also need to allow for this too.

Really! Oh crap.

Serious question, Charli - how is CMFT evidencing re-infection, seeing as the overwhelming majority of cases in which first wave were never actually identified by PCR test? My infection included (I had Covid in the last week of March but they were only testing people admitted to hospital. Antibody testing by the NHS in August confirmed antibodies). Very few people before July/August had swab tests done and antibody testing by the NHS limited to certain individuals/situations."

There’s two methods of reporting firstly those suspected of previously infected based on the patients own testimony. The second which is the only figures taken as a solid basis (the first just give us a guide) is those who have swabbed positive or have shown positive on the antibody test prior to infection.

"covid nonsense

I refuse to wear a mask

Total b sh#t"

How incredibly naive and selfish. Why you’d want to declare that I do not know.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"covid nonsense

I refuse to wear a mask

Total b sh#t

How incredibly naive and selfish. Why you’d want to declare that I do not know."

attention probably and I bet he’d be the first to whinge and whine on if he got it

North West

Really! Oh crap.

Serious question, Charli - how is CMFT evidencing re-infection, seeing as the overwhelming majority of cases in which first wave were never actually identified by PCR test? My infection included (I had Covid in the last week of March but they were only testing people admitted to hospital. Antibody testing by the NHS in August confirmed antibodies). Very few people before July/August had swab tests done and antibody testing by the NHS limited to certain individuals/situations.

There’s two methods of reporting firstly those suspected of previously infected based on the patients own testimony. The second which is the only figures taken as a solid basis (the first just give us a guide) is those who have swabbed positive or have shown positive on the antibody test prior to infection.

"

The reason I ask is that internationally, confirmed cases of re-infection are only being confirmed if genomic sequencing of the two positive tests demonstrates different strains causing each infection.

Relying on patient testimony is, unfortunately, incredibly unreliable. Of the teachers and staff at our college who went for tests, suspecting symptoms (at least 40+ staff), only about 5 actually tested positive. Many of their children also had tests and I'm not aware of any staff with children testing positive at all. The negative ones had some sort of non specific symptom (like a cough), but did not have Covid.

It's a fairly well characterised situation where viral shedding can occur for a long period in some people, including shedding viral RNA material after the patient ceases to be infectious (all published internationally).

If it's all the same, I'd reserve judgement on true re-infection, unless sequencing confirms a patient has had conclusive positive tests from different strains of SARS-CoV-2.

It's fair that re-infections might start happening more frequently, as natural antibody levels wane and the virus mutates, that I am of no doubt.

Merry Christmas."

Yawn.

Yes let's just get on with life. If you didn't read about it you wouldn't notice it. Hyped to hell.

Merry Christmas.

Yawn.

Yes let's just get on with life. If you didn't read about it you wouldn't notice it. Hyped to hell.

"

Unless of course you had to self isolate or had it yourself or lost someone to it.

in Lancashire

Merry Christmas.

Yawn.

"

Yeah mate, my sister writing goodbye letters to us all from hospital in April was something I totally didn't notice..

North West

Merry Christmas.

Yawn.

"

If you've not noticed it, you must be going about with blinkers on. Shopping in any shop is different/non existent (depending where you are). Hospitality is different/non existent. My job has changed beyond belief, as have the jobs of many others.

2% of London is roughly 179,640 people that are currently positive.

Makes you think, would you risk your health if you knew 2% of Fabbers had it?

Really! Oh crap.

The reason I ask is that internationally, confirmed cases of re-infection are only being confirmed if genomic sequencing of the two positive tests demonstrates different strains causing each infection.

Relying on patient testimony is, unfortunately, incredibly unreliable. Of the teachers and staff at our college who went for tests, suspecting symptoms (at least 40+ staff), only about 5 actually tested positive. Many of their children also had tests and I'm not aware of any staff with children testing positive at all. The negative ones had some sort of non specific symptom (like a cough), but did not have Covid.

It's a fairly well characterised situation where viral shedding can occur for a long period in some people, including shedding viral RNA material after the patient ceases to be infectious (all published internationally).

If it's all the same, I'd reserve judgement on true re-infection, unless sequencing confirms a patient has had conclusive positive tests from different strains of SARS-CoV-2.

It's fair that re-infections might start happening more frequently, as natural antibody levels wane and the virus mutates, that I am of no doubt."

As I stated previously we only look at test confirmed results. As standard we investigate strains as it can influence treatment choices quite dramatically. We collect patient based information as an aside because in this pandemic it still has a value when viewed en masse.

We know through track and trace data the patients mentioned have been positive previously and at a time when the variety they are now carrying wasn’t known.

That’s about as accurate as anyone can get when we are talking about a virus we still do not fully understand.

We have nowhere near enough data nationally or worldwide to draw conclusions surrounding natural immunity or indeed vaccination effectiveness which is quite a terrifying question filling out thoughts currently.

From what you typed, do I assume you work in teaching?

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

True, though sadly we will also have very full hospitals and grave yards.

We have been in this long enough that no one should really be as so uneducated about the situation as the OP is

North West

Really! Oh crap.

It's fair that re-infections might start happening more frequently, as natural antibody levels wane and the virus mutates, that I am of no doubt.

As I stated previously we only look at test confirmed results. As standard we investigate strains as it can influence treatment choices quite dramatically. We collect patient based information as an aside because in this pandemic it still has a value when viewed en masse.

We know through track and trace data the patients mentioned have been positive previously and at a time when the variety they are now carrying wasn’t known.

That’s about as accurate as anyone can get when we are talking about a virus we still do not fully understand.

We have nowhere near enough data nationally or worldwide to draw conclusions surrounding natural immunity or indeed vaccination effectiveness which is quite a terrifying question filling out thoughts currently.

From what you typed, do I assume you work in teaching? "

I'm a microbiologist who now works in education, yes. I manage a team of science and engineering teachers but we also have other subjects and courses. Quite a number of staff had various symptoms this term, but few actually tested positive (fortunately).

It's good to know genomic data is being used to confirm re-infections

By *ittyandtheboyCouple  over a year ago

always in the kitchen at parties

Merry Christmas.

Yep. Was just coming along to say this. 2% is a massive number of people.

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

All hyped by the press because they got butt fucked over brexit. If we had a Covexit vote we would be out of lockdown the next day. It’s up to people to look after themselves.

What sits weirdly with me, is how these new strains have popped up in England, where we have had lockdowns, masks, social distancing and have world beating research? How is it that they haven't popped up in countries where very little of those measures have been taken? If any. How wasn't it a country with near no measures, and a far higher population density? Where there is a barely functioning health service? It just sits very weirdly that it just happens to be a world leading country.

"What sits weirdly with me, is how these new strains have popped up in England, where we have had lockdowns, masks, social distancing and have world beating research? How is it that they haven't popped up in countries where very little of those measures have been taken? If any. How wasn't it a country with near no measures, and a far higher population density? Where there is a barely functioning health service? It just sits very weirdly that it just happens to be a world leading country. "

It's a mutation that could and will happen in probably every country.

As for how it can spread here...just look at a few of the posters on this thread. Your answer is right here...

It's just strange how here was the place that it happened not in a place where the virus has far more hosts to pass between

Derry

"What sits weirdly with me, is how these new strains have popped up in England, where we have had lockdowns, masks, social distancing and have world beating research? How is it that they haven't popped up in countries where very little of those measures have been taken? If any. How wasn't it a country with near no measures, and a far higher population density? Where there is a barely functioning health service? It just sits very weirdly that it just happens to be a world leading country. "

Genetic variations are going to occur, that's the nature of things. Masks, lockdowns etc doesn't stop the virus from existing, they just hinder the spread of it. As to a health service, well the covid 19 virus doesn't give a fiddlers about that. I think we know already the UK isn't unique in reporting new strains, although I understand it is ahead of the pack when it comes to genomic fingerprinting.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the who has had hundreds of strains reported to them, I guess this is just the first one that has taken hold of a population. Guess it was just sods law that it would be us. Hopefully there aren't too many more iterations either here or elsewhere...

If the other countries aren't testing for different virus strains they won't be detected.

We are testing so.....

"All hyped by the press because they got butt fucked over brexit. If we had a Covexit vote we would be out of lockdown the next day. It’s up to people to look after themselves. "

Do you have an ICU in your house?

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

"covid nonsense

I refuse to wear a mask

Total b sh#t

How incredibly naive and selfish. Why you’d want to declare that I do not know."

Attention seeker with nothing interesting or sensible to say probably

North West

"I think I remember reading somewhere that the who has had hundreds of strains reported to them, I guess this is just the first one that has taken hold of a population. Guess it was just sods law that it would be us. Hopefully there aren't too many more iterations either here or elsewhere... "

There's thousands of mutations. The original Wuhan SARS-CoV-2 isn't circulating really anywhere, all the strains around the world now are genetically slightly different to the original (and are therefore mutants). This is very normal in single stranded RNA viruses. Single stranded genomes acquire mutations more frequently as there isn't a template strand like there is in double stranded genomes (like our double stranded DNA). However, all coronaviruses have an in-built genome proof reading mechanism, so many mistakes in the RNA replication get picked up and edited out. For comparison, single stranded RNA influenza viruses do not have the proof reading mechanism. Therefore the rate of mutation in coronaviruses is much lower than flu viruses.

The UK has particular expertise in genomic sequencing and so we are characterising the mutations more quickly than many countries. Plenty of mutations ARE arising in other countries, they just aren't sequencing and identifying them as frequently/quickly.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Merry Christmas."

Think of things your way going to be a sad new year for many get real

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Lets hope it gets weaker as it mutates and dies so we can get back to normal.

North West

"Lets hope it gets weaker as it mutates and dies so we can get back to normal.

"

It's unlikely to become more lethal. More likely to become more transmissible, because that's what makes evolutionary sense.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Lets hope it gets weaker as it mutates and dies so we can get back to normal.

"

Had a few to many have you?

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Well the London issue is interesting. I am a Londoner and I don’t get why it is rising so bad. My local council has nearly gone up by 400% in a month which is crazy

Possibly driven by the following

1) a month lockdown before Xmas - means that non essential shops were busy after with people getting presents etc

2) continual lack of young people refraining from mixing and not wearing masks

3) people mixing in homes and at places of worship.

4) over populated housing. Example of you have a 2 bed terrace that has 14 people rather than 4 or so your not helping

5) grey population of people that are not recognised in the country and they can’t register with a doctor or go for tests. I include the people that don’t want to in this

6) more transmitable strain

7) London has a working population taht easily travel with an hours train travel of the m25 so it doesn’t get spread around more

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

"covid nonsense

I refuse to wear a mask

Total b sh#t

Saves having to hide his hypocrisy

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

If 2% of Londoners currently have covid that is a huge amount.

If it includes secondary school age children in London boroughs that means 36 active cases just in my daughter's school, potentially 5 just in her year group bubble.

0.01% is too many if that's your relative or friend

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Merry Christmas.

2% have it, the R rate is above 1.... give it a week, 5% will have it, 2 weeks, 10%, 3 weeks, 20%, 4 weeks, 40%...

I’m sure anyone working London’s ICU’s will love your flippant and to be blunt fkn selfish view."

I am certain your figures are correct however, if the Christmas party the OP is suggesting happened, the figures don't matter. Why? Because the starting 2% should be isolated and not passing the virus on ... Simples

Merry Christmas.

I’m sure anyone working London’s ICU’s will love your flippant and to be blunt fkn selfish view.

I am certain your figures are correct however, if the Christmas party the OP is suggesting happened, the figures don't matter. Why? Because the starting 2% should be isolated and not passing the virus on ... Simples "

But alot of people dont know they have it

By *oredbrummieMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Merry Christmas.

But will they??? To self isolate you have to stay off work for 14 days (since been dropped to 10 days) so on that basis if you have 2% in week one, 4%in week two then by week three it’s drops back to 2% as week one are over and out of isolation?

Manchester

Merry Christmas.

I am certain your figures are correct however, if the Christmas party the OP is suggesting happened, the figures don't matter. Why? Because the starting 2% should be isolated and not passing the virus on ... Simples

But alot of people dont know they have it "

How do the boffins no the people have it but the people don't

Merry Christmas.

How do the boffins no the people have it but the people don't "

Michael Caine told them

Manchester

Merry Christmas.

How do the boffins no the people have it but the people don't

Michael Caine told them "

He da man

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"covid nonsense

I refuse to wear a mask

Total b sh#t"

Then you are;

a) a major part of the problem

b) selfish

c) fucking stupid

E

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Merry Christmas."

That's 180,000 people. Considering most Londoners have second homes, large communities that don't social distance, wear masks even though high risk, and the situation just gets worse.

So lockdown again oh no only places you have fun or enjoyment in , you can still mix in schools, shops, work, transport. You couldn't make it up, its a joke.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Merry Christmas.

But will they??? To self isolate you have to stay off work for 14 days (since been dropped to 10 days) so on that basis if you have 2% in week one, 4%in week two then by week three it’s drops back to 2% as week one are over and out of isolation?"

IF everyone who was infected did self isolate for the whole period, then it would have died out last March or April, no more than three or four weeks after it first came into the country. But people keep refusing to self isolate, keep refusing to social distance, keep refusing to wear masks, keep refusing to practice appropriate infection control measures. No everyone, many many people have done their absolute best. But sufficient will not, and here we are now... Fact is that over the last couple of months, even with a lot of people totally sacrificing their personal life for the greater good, because of the actions of those that don't care and who think it won't matter if they catch it or just think it's everybody elses problem, the number of confirmed cases has been doubling and doubling and doubling and doubling. So now, it is only six doubles away from every single person in the country being exposed.

At least then it will stop doubling. And there will be no need for vaccinations. It's christmas day though, so I'll refrain from pointing out the downside...

Merry Christmas all, and wishing you a covid free New Year.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Merry Christmas.

But will they??? To self isolate you have to stay off work for 14 days (since been dropped to 10 days) so on that basis if you have 2% in week one, 4%in week two then by week three it’s drops back to 2% as week one are over and out of isolation?

IF everyone who was infected did self isolate for the whole period, then it would have died out last March or April, no more than three or four weeks after it first came into the country. But people keep refusing to self isolate, keep refusing to social distance, keep refusing to wear masks, keep refusing to practice appropriate infection control measures. No everyone, many many people have done their absolute best. But sufficient will not, and here we are now... Fact is that over the last couple of months, even with a lot of people totally sacrificing their personal life for the greater good, because of the actions of those that don't care and who think it won't matter if they catch it or just think it's everybody elses problem, the number of confirmed cases has been doubling and doubling and doubling and doubling. So now, it is only six doubles away from every single person in the country being exposed.

At least then it will stop doubling. And there will be no need for vaccinations. It's christmas day though, so I'll refrain from pointing out the downside...

Merry Christmas all, and wishing you a covid free New Year. "

» Add a new message to this topic