FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Private Vaccinations

Private Vaccinations

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uliaChris OP   Couple  over a year ago

westerham

Not happened yet because it would be politically unacceptable, but when there’s a couple more vaccines approved - probably at higher dose cost than the Oxford one - then it’s bound to happen.

A sensible extra provision to boost the greater good?

Or a scandalous us and them one rule for the rich scheme?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

cannot see it and would you trust a private company?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

The more people who pay privately the quicker those of us who can't afford it will get one.

If I could afford private medical care I would make full use of it.

Whether it's right of not is another thing

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"cannot see it and would you trust a private company?"

I wouldn't

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple  over a year ago

norwich

"cannot see it and would you trust a private company?"

The pharmaceutical industry is made up of mostly private companies, as is most of the worlds health care.

It will happen.

westerham

"The more people who pay privately the quicker those of us who can't afford it will get one.

Whether it's right of not is another thing"

Surely that makes it right?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"The more people who pay privately the quicker those of us who can't afford it will get one.

Surely that makes it right?"

In some ways I suppose it does. In my opinion and an ideal world it would be strictly by need.

By *ensual massagerMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Could they guarantee it's actually the vaccine though?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Could they guarantee it's actually the vaccine though? "

I'd be wary of a bloke in the pub offering it and I wouldn't buy it from eBay

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

I've got the funds and would pay, especially as it might open my NHS spot to someone else. But we've been assured it won't be available privately at all in the UK.

westerham

"I've got the funds and would pay, especially as it might open my NHS spot to someone else. But we've been assured it won't be available privately at all in the UK."

Who has assured us? Boris?

Hypothetically, if a new £2000 a shot vaccine comes along that the NHS won’t fund, is the government going to make a law banning it being given privately?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Why not it would make an nhs one available for someone else and if you can afford to pay and want to why shouldn’t you?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I've got the funds and would pay, especially as it might open my NHS spot to someone else. But we've been assured it won't be available privately at all in the UK.

Who has assured us? Boris?

Hypothetically, if a new £2000 a shot vaccine comes along that the NHS won’t fund, is the government going to make a law banning it being given privately?"

Would they hell. A Conservative minister would probable on the board of the private health company

westerham

"Why not it would make an nhs one available for someone else and if you can afford to pay and want to why shouldn’t you?"

Well the “optics” politically would be terrible

Be an interesting scenario when it happens

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I would be positive that once mass public vaccination has finished, private companies will be allowed to buy the vaccines... just like any other drugs. I would have thought that many have already placed orders, they are just a long way down the list for delivery.

Cal

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Even Rupert Mrurdoch got treated by the NHS, so I can't see private vaccines in the UK for a long time. Elites are happy to get our subsidised free one.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"cannot see it and would you trust a private company?

I wouldn't"

You wouldn't trust Bupa, Boots, Lloyd's Pharmacy etc? All private companies who currently administer the flu jabs (both on behalf of the NHS and on a private basis). Obviously it's not going to happen immediately, but once one round of NHS administered vaccines finishes and it's open to these private organisations, you wouldn't trust them? I trust Bupa, et.al but not John-boy whose wife is a trained beautician injecting people in the pub car park.

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

Unfortunately it would be at the expense of the old and vulnerable....It would deprive those most in need

westerham

Unfortunately it would be at the expense of the old and vulnerable....It would deprive those most in need "

The question is specifically about a hypothetical new very expensive vaccine that the NHS won’t buy in any case.

By *ympho6969Woman  over a year ago

glasgow

Only when there are sufficient stocks. Until then they would get it before those who cannot afford it.

There would be a public outrage if it was available tomorrow privately for instance. Before people who have underlying medical needs and front line workers got it.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"I've got the funds and would pay, especially as it might open my NHS spot to someone else. But we've been assured it won't be available privately at all in the UK."

That's because in the UK we have grown up being told how ghastly and wrong private health care is. Even our private health care is second rate to large parts of the world. We pay huge sums to get fresh tyres on our cars, have them serviced every year, have them cleaned and waxed and polished, yet we won't spend 50 quid on a life saving jab for ourselves.?

Central

"I've got the funds and would pay, especially as it might open my NHS spot to someone else. But we've been assured it won't be available privately at all in the UK.

That's because in the UK we have grown up being told how ghastly and wrong private health care is. Even our private health care is second rate to large parts of the world. We pay huge sums to get fresh tyres on our cars, have them serviced every year, have them cleaned and waxed and polished, yet we won't spend 50 quid on a life saving jab for ourselves.? "

The US private healthcare system is 1 important feature that keeps average lifespan lower than others, such as for citizens of the UK. People pay heavily there to get less and to die younger, as their money has to pay for treatment and a healthy profit for each company in the chain.

We all use private, for profit, companies and are largely fine with this. It's the context that's always pertinent though. Those wondering about the magic of the private sector running heath services here should reflect on the £22 billions spent on Testing and Tracing services this year and their dismal outcomes for us all.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

"Not happened yet because it would be politically unacceptable, but when there’s a couple more vaccines approved - probably at higher dose cost than the Oxford one - then it’s bound to happen.

A sensible extra provision to boost the greater good?

Or a scandalous us and them one rule for the rich scheme? "

The latter ...... the poor deserve to live just as much as the rich.

By *ussymufferMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

The thing with the vaccination is it only last about six months so they will need to go back to the start and get the old and vulnerable ones vaccinated again it's like the never ending circle

South

"Why not it would make an nhs one available for someone else and if you can afford to pay and want to why shouldn’t you?"

Because that’s not the way it works - private healthcare creates a secondary tier of treatments so staffing, equipment, drugs are all targeted at the rich end leaving the poor with a second class of healthcare. Just look at the public hospitals in the states for people with no insurance. At the moment the NHS Is all we have in this country to make us proud every penny should be poured into that not siphoned off to make the elite even more privileged

South

"The thing with the vaccination is it only last about six months so they will need to go back to the start and get the old and vulnerable ones vaccinated again it's like the never ending circle "

Like flu I would guess and we will just get two jabs annually

"Why not it would make an nhs one available for someone else and if you can afford to pay and want to why shouldn’t you?

Because that’s not the way it works - private healthcare creates a secondary tier of treatments so staffing, equipment, drugs are all targeted at the rich end leaving the poor with a second class of healthcare. Just look at the public hospitals in the states for people with no insurance. At the moment the NHS Is all we have in this country to make us proud every penny should be poured into that not siphoned off to make the elite even more privileged"

No the NHS is not all we have here, there are private hospitals here for those that have health insurance or want to pay to go privately.

By *ewcouplemidsCouple  over a year ago

walsall

If your not eligible for the flu jab you can still request it from your gp but have to pay for it

Personally think that next year if you want to travel abroad then proof of vaccination will be a requirement so if there is an option to pay for it then we would as long as its not in the thousands

Many people won't qualify for free vaccination due to age so as long as prices were reasonable then can't see an issue

More vaccinations done will help stop the spread or at least reduce its effects and paying for it puts money back into the pot so the needy can receive there's quicker

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

If there was sufficient stock build up that wouldn’t affect the free rollout. Then I think it would be a good idea. It would create revenue and hopefully drive down the hospitalisation rate.

But demand is outstripping supply so it will be a while yet.

at the very beginning of this only the rich could afford private tests before it was rolled out to masses free.. vaccs seem to be opposite but im sure its going on this time tho won't be publicised unless a time comes when they think the rich and famous could sell it to any doubters

d

Central

"The thing with the vaccination is it only last about six months so they will need to go back to the start and get the old and vulnerable ones vaccinated again it's like the never ending circle "

We don't know yet how long the immunity will last for, from any of the vaccines. It may become a normal part of life, for the vulnerable, to have an annual vaccine, as with flu. Immunity duration is something that next generation vaccines may have better profiles for and new treatments are also under test for treatment of those who've not had the vaccine, to prevent them getting infected in different ways.

If the vaccine costs c. £15 for an individual, it's money well spent.

By *ussymufferMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Private hospitals are a big rip off to the insurance companies a friend of mine phoned up one in Glasgow to get a back operation he needed the quote for the operation was £5600 they asked him who his insurance company was and he's said I will pay it cash the price was cut to £3600

South

"Why not it would make an nhs one available for someone else and if you can afford to pay and want to why shouldn’t you?

Because that’s not the way it works - private healthcare creates a secondary tier of treatments so staffing, equipment, drugs are all targeted at the rich end leaving the poor with a second class of healthcare. Just look at the public hospitals in the states for people with no insurance. At the moment the NHS Is all we have in this country to make us proud every penny should be poured into that not siphoned off to make the elite even more privileged

No the NHS is not all we have here, there are private hospitals here for those that have health insurance or want to pay to go privately. "

It’s all we have to be proud of is what I said .... not that it’s all we have.

South

"Private hospitals are a big rip off to the insurance companies a friend of mine phoned up one in Glasgow to get a back operation he needed the quote for the operation was £5600 they asked him who his insurance company was and he's said I will pay it cash the price was cut to £3600 "

Just like vets isn’t it ‘do you have insurance’ let Chuck another few scans in ...

Tin town

That's because in the UK we have grown up being told how ghastly and wrong private health care is. Even our private health care is second rate to large parts of the world. We pay huge sums to get fresh tyres on our cars, have them serviced every year, have them cleaned and waxed and polished, yet we won't spend 50 quid on a life saving jab for ourselves.?

The US private healthcare system is 1 important feature that keeps average lifespan lower than others, such as for citizens of the UK. People pay heavily there to get less and to die younger, as their money has to pay for treatment and a healthy profit for each company in the chain.

We all use private, for profit, companies and are largely fine with this. It's the context that's always pertinent though. Those wondering about the magic of the private sector running heath services here should reflect on the £22 billions spent on Testing and Tracing services this year and their dismal outcomes for us all. "

Great points. And private is no more the answer than public is. The best, regardless of ownership should be the answer.

Equally making a reasonable profit is not a sin when providing a service that people want and are prepared to pay reasonably for. It's one of the reasons that motivated improvement. And equally not for profit is not the best simply because nobody makes a profit.

I'm not sure anyone would hold up the US as best health care provider. But we have in our country an old relationship with our own health and an incredible trust in a health service with was conceived over 70 years ago and needs updating to meet current needs and funding models.

I'd like to think we have better aspirations for our health than free at point of delivery emergency care.

To use the car analogy again. We are more than happy to spend 1000 a year to provide preventative maintenance, tyres and care for our vehicle. But if someone said would be spend 1000 having a medical once a year we would laugh in their faces.

South

We all use private, for profit, companies and are largely fine with this. It's the context that's always pertinent though. Those wondering about the magic of the private sector running heath services here should reflect on the £22 billions spent on Testing and Tracing services this year and their dismal outcomes for us all.

Great points. And private is no more the answer than public is. The best, regardless of ownership should be the answer.

Equally making a reasonable profit is not a sin when providing a service that people want and are prepared to pay reasonably for. It's one of the reasons that motivated improvement. And equally not for profit is not the best simply because nobody makes a profit.

I'm not sure anyone would hold up the US as best health care provider. But we have in our country an old relationship with our own health and an incredible trust in a health service with was conceived over 70 years ago and needs updating to meet current needs and funding models.

I'd like to think we have better aspirations for our health than free at point of delivery emergency care.

To use the car analogy again. We are more than happy to spend 1000 a year to provide preventative maintenance, tyres and care for our vehicle. But if someone said would be spend 1000 having a medical once a year we would laugh in their faces. "

And suppose you cannot afford the £1000 a year? Do you not deserve one?

Tin town

"Private hospitals are a big rip off to the insurance companies a friend of mine phoned up one in Glasgow to get a back operation he needed the quote for the operation was £5600 they asked him who his insurance company was and he's said I will pay it cash the price was cut to £3600 "

Yes that's what most companies will do when it's being funded by an insurance company, that will include all those dodgy whiplash claims people make against car insurance companies and the car repairs that are 500 cash or if its through "the insurance 2500"...sadly the way of the world.

I guess he was going private as the nhs couldn't or wouldn't do it for him in good time?

Surely that makes it right?

In some ways I suppose it does. In my opinion and an ideal world it would be strictly by need. "

is the understanding just now not that everyone needs it though to contribute to herd immunity?

if its not coming from govt stocks, its not coming from the govt purse ans it gets us to full vaccinated population quicker (excluding those who cant obviously) then i see of only as a good thing

Tin town

To use the car analogy again. We are more than happy to spend 1000 a year to provide preventative maintenance, tyres and care for our vehicle. But if someone said would be spend 1000 having a medical once a year we would laugh in their faces.

And suppose you cannot afford the £1000 a year? Do you not deserve one? "

It's a strange question. As it's the principle of spending time and money and effort on our own health that I'm making. But if conceptually suddenly we started spending money on regular health maintenence and someone genuinely can't afford it.... And they make minimum contributions to a health service... Sure. I'm not sure "deserve" is a word I'd use for it. Nothing worth having in life is for free.

And What's more important than our health?

Only when there are sufficient stocks. Until then they would get it before those who cannot afford it.

There would be a public outrage if it was available tomorrow privately for instance. Before people who have underlying medical needs and front line workers got it."

i really dont think there would be , particularly if it was a much more expensive vaccine that the nhs wouldn’t be able to give anyway as not cost efficient ... taking the vaccine just now doesn’t afford you any extra freedoms, it doesn’t mean you can start ignoring social distancing or that your cities tier will come down etc ... getting the vaccine early literally just goes towards herd immunity which as long as not coming from the nhs stock actually helps the more vulnerable

Because that’s not the way it works - private healthcare creates a secondary tier of treatments so staffing, equipment, drugs are all targeted at the rich end leaving the poor with a second class of healthcare. Just look at the public hospitals in the states for people with no insurance. At the moment the NHS Is all we have in this country to make us proud every penny should be poured into that not siphoned off to make the elite even more privileged"

this is such a blinkered view ... people already get the flu jab privately every year ... from the likes of superdrug and boots ... those people wouldn’t be offered it or provided it by the nhs , no money has been siphoned off, nobody who should have got the vaccine missed out ... there are no losers in that scenario

To use the car analogy again. We are more than happy to spend 1000 a year to provide preventative maintenance, tyres and care for our vehicle. But if someone said would be spend 1000 having a medical once a year we would laugh in their faces. "

i tend to agree with this ... the US system is nothing to aim for, but we go for dentist check ups for prevention, but the NHS resources are so stretched the thought of “wasting a GPs time” with health check ups seems disgraceful, instead we just wait til things get nad and we are ill before seeing a doctor ( by the time i go for an appt ive usually stored up about 3/4 things there were not serious enough for an appt on their own)

westerham

The Times has basically copied my OP this morning, and adds that private vaccinations might start in April:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/worried-wealthy-discover-money-cant-buy-you-vaccine-7xkl5wt7q?shareToken=86a81a9c499dd9202d227274fbd2b589

Tin town

"The Times has basically copied my OP this morning, and adds that private vaccinations might start in April:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/worried-wealthy-discover-money-cant-buy-you-vaccine-7xkl5wt7q?shareToken=86a81a9c499dd9202d227274fbd2b589"

I hope you get a mention!

"Could they guarantee it's actually the vaccine though? "

You can argue that with any injection...

Flu, anti malaria etc etc..

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I don’t see any reason when stocks are at a high level why it wouldn’t happen.

It’s happening elsewhere.

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

Unfortunately it would be at the expense of the old and vulnerable....It would deprive those most in need

The question is specifically about a hypothetical new very expensive vaccine that the NHS won’t buy in any case."

The question was about vaccines not "very expensive " ones ???

westerham

The question is specifically about a hypothetical new very expensive vaccine that the NHS won’t buy in any case.

The question was about vaccines not "very expensive " ones ???"

Yes it does, from the OP:

“probably at higher dose cost than the Oxford one“

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

The question was about vaccines not "very expensive " ones ???

Yes it does, from the OP:

“probably at higher dose cost than the Oxford one“"

The Oxford one is only at "cost" price in certain circumstances. I'm sure AZ would be charging the full price for any private provider who might offer it in the future.

I think a lot changes when the Oxford Vaccine (hopefully) gets approved. At that point the issue becomes more one of logistics than supply (we should have roughly to jab the whole country late spring assuming no manufacturing issues).

If we’ve then got enough supply but logistics mean there’s a backlog, there’s an argument the private sector could / can help speed up delivery into arms on a paid basis.

The more people giving the vaccine out the merrier, and if some people want to pay a load of cash to take some work off the NHS then I don’t see a problem!!

» Add a new message to this topic