FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Britain to face food shortages in just a few days.

Britain to face food shortages in just a few days.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I have been reading the news and it said that supermarkets fear that they will suffer food shortages in just a few days time, as the current dover to calais border closure is set to continue to delay shipments into the weekend, how long do you reckon it could last? Is it just this weekend or could it be for longer? Lets hope not.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *akeheelsTV/TS  over a year ago

dalkeith

Theres enough cooked turkey and trimmings to last till new years, and the whisky is local, so im ok...

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

I need to lose some weight

By *DW1983Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen, Leeds, Sheffield

Nonsense. And even if we do, it's hardly going to be end-of-the-world famine kind of stuff. I suspect it'd be more people getting in a flap that they can't have off-season strawberries from Spain or some other fancy imported item, rather than an immediate shortage of all and any food. And despite what some might have you think, I'm pretty sure that if it came to it, most people would be able to find *something* to eat even if it's not exactly what they went out to buy.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

That's ok.. freezer n fridge is full.

I need a few pounds off...

Plus I got gin..so all good

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Nonsense. And even if we do, it's hardly going to be end-of-the-world famine kind of stuff. I suspect it'd be more people getting in a flap that they can't have off-season strawberries from Spain or some other fancy imported item, rather than an immediate shortage of all and any food. And despite what some might have you think, I'm pretty sure that if it came to it, most people would be able to find *something* to eat even if it's not exactly what they went out to buy. "

Plenty of gone-off scottish shellfish to be had going cheap from the back of several hundred of the trucks lined up in Kent...

By *rank speakerMan  over a year ago

Worcester

Oh no! Not yet another panic mongering post! As others have stated there may be a few things that we go short of, but at least it'll cut down on some of the food miles we currently rack up which can't be a bad thing?

It's just the French playing politics again?

Stay sane everyone and we'll all be fine

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

[Removed by poster at 26/12/20 06:24:23]

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I remember when you could only buy fruit and veg when it was in season. We also grew our own. Perhaps we should just go back to being a bit more self reliant, saves money too. You don't need a massive garden to do a bit either, just a couple of tubs, hanging baskets etc. It's surpting what you can grow in them. I've grown strawberries and cherry tomatoes in my hanging baskets with nasturtiums, all edible.

"I have been reading the news and it said that supermarkets fear that they will suffer food shortages in just a few days time, as the current dover to calais border closure is set to continue to delay shipments into the weekend, how long do you reckon it could last? Is it just this weekend or could it be for longer? Lets hope not."

And once again the News outlets & Newspapaer are doing their best to freighten people.

Às long as people dont do like they did with loo rolls we will be fine.

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"I remember when you could only buy fruit and veg when it was in season. We also grew our own. Perhaps we should just go back to being a bit more self reliant, saves money too. You don't need a massive garden to do a bit either, just a couple of tubs, hanging baskets etc. It's surpting what you can grow in them. I've grown strawberries and cherry tomatoes in my hanging baskets with nasturtiums, all edible. "

Good luck growing strawberries and cherry tomatoes that fruit between mid September and some point in June. My tomatoes didn't even turn red this year.

I think 2 worlds in your comment sums up everything. "Go back"? ??????

scotland

"Oh no! Not yet another panic mongering post! As others have stated there may be a few things that we go short of, but at least it'll cut down on some of the food miles we currently rack up which can't be a bad thing?

Stay sane everyone and we'll all be fine "

Yes, let's just blame the French for everything...

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Please stop with these irresponsible posts.

Its absolute nonsense.

As I drove into to town to buy a few things Christmas Eve, the radio news was talking about stripped supermarket shelves from panic buying.

In reality I saw the shelves noticeably fuller than usual.

The media has a lot to answer for.

By *ess n BenCouple  over a year ago

Didcot

All our supermarket shelves were full Christmas Eve

But I thought freight was still coming into the uk

Love these scare mongering threads

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"As I drove into to town to buy a few things Christmas Eve, the radio news was talking about stripped supermarket shelves from panic buying.

The media has a lot to answer for. "

Yes, they are the cause of most of the panic and scaremongering. I watch RT news, at least you get the facts.

By *oneyBear100Couple  over a year ago

Gatwick area

Christmas eve the shelves were bare near us.

Same as 2019,18,17,16....

Good photo op for the tabloid toilet rags though to scaremonger!

Most of our food comes in roll on, roll off freight and this wasn’t affected at all.

So we might be short of some lettuce and satsumas - who cares - first world problem.

Before you whine about what you can’t buy just give a thought to the children and families around the world that went to bed with having no food at all.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Ohh no! I'm in work in morn! B picking lots of subs then! Hate choosing an alternative and takes to long! X

[Removed by poster at 26/12/20 08:46:36]

I will stock up on some haribos, just in case

ashford

"I will stock up on some haribos, just in case "

Daughter got a big box of haribo for xmas and wont share! Lol x

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Christmas eve the shelves were bare near us.

Good photo op for the tabloid toilet rags though to scaremonger!"

Yes, the supermarkets deliberately let their stocks run low when they're going to be closed (and it's 2 days this year), it reduces the amount of waste that needs throwing away.

Cal

scotland

Good photo op for the tabloid toilet rags though to scaremonger!"

My local asda had no toilet roll left on Xmas eve morning. Everything else was fine. However, if you don't believe that a few thousand lorries stuck in Dover won't affect the food supply chain then you are as ignorant as Dominic Rabb.

ashford

Wait till brexit! Lmfao! X

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

I think most of us should be fine, losing a few pounds. Some folk really don't have a lot so I'll be over buying to fill the food banks trolley up

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

It's ok, half of the population still has 500kg of pasta each from the first round of panic buying.

The government can always make it illegal to stockpile and give the holders 48 hours to return it to a central distribution hub.

After 48 hours a series of nationwide sas style raids can raid homes to seize the pasta and arrest the baddies.

Or

In the real world we need to listen to dad's army advice and "don't panic"

By *oneyBear100Couple  over a year ago

Gatwick area

My local asda had no toilet roll left on Xmas eve morning. Everything else was fine. However, if you don't believe that a few thousand lorries stuck in Dover won't affect the food supply chain then you are as ignorant as Dominic Rabb."

Affect the food chain yes, people going starving because of it, no!

Just a little more creativity may be required for a while. It's not bloody doomsday!

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

Please stop reading the mainstream media Shag. They have a fleeting acquaintance with the truth

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

My local asda had no toilet roll left on Xmas eve morning. Everything else was fine. However, if you don't believe that a few thousand lorries stuck in Dover won't affect the food supply chain then you are as ignorant as Dominic Rabb."

Food just doesn't arrive here by truck!

By *orkshire WaterCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

Shut up with this nonsense. Tesco was giving away free food Christmas eve. No such shortage.

Local farmers have plenty of stock, problem is we as a country by it from abroad. Support local for once

By *el and jayneMan  over a year ago

Gloucester

Absolute tosh

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"Most of our food comes in roll on, roll off freight and this wasn’t affected at all.

So we might be short of some lettuce and satsumas - who cares - first world problem.

Before you whine about what you can’t buy just give a thought to the children and families around the world that went to bed with having no food at all."

Well said.

"I will stock up on some haribos, just in case

Daughter got a big box of haribo for xmas and wont share! Lol x"

I see yes, that is alot of haribos too, she might share it. I like to get the golden haribo bags, with the gummy bears

ashford

Daughter got a big box of haribo for xmas and wont share! Lol xI see yes, that is alot of haribos too, she might share it. I like to get the golden haribo bags, with the gummy bears "

I will sneak in her room and pinch some! X

ashford

My local asda had no toilet roll left on Xmas eve morning. Everything else was fine. However, if you don't believe that a few thousand lorries stuck in Dover won't affect the food supply chain then you are as ignorant as Dominic Rabb.

Food just doesn't arrive here by truck! "

It does in the main! Anyone thinks we could b self sufficient is wearing rose coloured specs! X

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I have been reading the news and it said that supermarkets fear that they will suffer food shortages in just a few days time, as the current dover to calais border closure is set to continue to delay shipments into the weekend, how long do you reckon it could last? Is it just this weekend or could it be for longer? Lets hope not."
So a couple of items will be short big deal always happens this time of year.

now go and have another beer and relax things are fine

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Please stop reading the mainstream media Shag. They have a fleeting acquaintance with the truth "

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

been to tesco this morning and the shelves are full fruit and veg is full.only thing that was empty was bakery and that because it not open today

"Please stop with these irresponsible posts.

Its absolute nonsense. "

what is encouraging though is most people responding oh well i have full cupboards for christmas no panic required

if it lasts longer though i dread to think what supermarkets will bd like in early january... particularly since supermarkets are pretty much the only place people can go out to for a few weeks

"Please stop with these irresponsible posts.

Its absolute nonsense.

what is encouraging though is most people responding oh well i have full cupboards for christmas no panic required

if it lasts longer though i dread to think what supermarkets will bd like in early january... particularly since supermarkets are pretty much the only place people can go out to for a few weeks "

i should have said dread it because of the panic buyers ... is those folk that will be the main cause of shortages as usual

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

why are you surprised? and we'll wait for putin to turn our power off

Daughter got a big box of haribo for xmas and wont share! Lol xI see yes, that is alot of haribos too, she might share it. I like to get the golden haribo bags, with the gummy bears

I will sneak in her room and pinch some! X"

That sounds good to me and yes do it when the coast is clear x

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Overweight nation have to moderate calorie intake for 2 days in shock horror story. There'll be rioting in the loo roll aisle of Morrisons.

Tin town

"I remember when you could only buy fruit and veg when it was in season. We also grew our own. Perhaps we should just go back to being a bit more self reliant, saves money too. You don't need a massive garden to do a bit either, just a couple of tubs, hanging baskets etc. It's surpting what you can grow in them. I've grown strawberries and cherry tomatoes in my hanging baskets with nasturtiums, all edible. "

Wouldn't that be great? A little less profit for supermarkets and a bit more self reliance. Bit of fun for kids to see too.

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

Just got back from Morrisons. No shortage of anything, out at the back door it fully stocked. So wondering where this so called shortage of food crap started. Over 4000 lorries have left Dover over the last 24 hrs an still plenty coming into Dover.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We grow a lot of fruit and vegetables usually starting to harvest around late May, early June. However to keep yourself in fresh vegetables throughout the year you need space, time and dedication, it genuinely isn't possible for most of us.

I doubt very much that we will need to go back to a time when the only fresh fruit available most of the year was pears and apples and through the winter it was parsnips, turnips, carrots and some sort of winter cabbage or nothing. If we do have to the growing areas of the UK had better get themselves sorted quick smart

Tin town

"We grow a lot of fruit and vegetables usually starting to harvest around late May, early June. However to keep yourself in fresh vegetables throughout the year you need space, time and dedication, it genuinely isn't possible for most of us.

I doubt very much that we will need to go back to a time when the only fresh fruit available most of the year was pears and apples and through the winter it was parsnips, turnips, carrots and some sort of winter cabbage or nothing. If we do have to the growing areas of the UK had better get themselves sorted quick smart "

School playing fields ploughed and planted for grow it at home strategy horror....

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"We grow a lot of fruit and vegetables usually starting to harvest around late May, early June. However to keep yourself in fresh vegetables throughout the year you need space, time and dedication, it genuinely isn't possible for most of us.

I doubt very much that we will need to go back to a time when the only fresh fruit available most of the year was pears and apples and through the winter it was parsnips, turnips, carrots and some sort of winter cabbage or nothing. If we do have to the growing areas of the UK had better get themselves sorted quick smart

School playing fields ploughed and planted for grow it at home strategy horror.... "

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I do smile when people say we'll just have to go back to how it used to be. What era are they referring to? Rationing was introduced in WW2 partly because imported food was very scarce. In the unlikely event of food shortages next week or next month (that's shortages rather than prohibitively expensive) as a country we are in no position to start making up the shortfall over night. It would take months or even years. We don't have local, agricultural labour or land how many live on a housing estate with farm in the name or visit farms that owners have turned in to petting zoos and tourist attractions?

We can't "go back"

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Good job I grow my own then

Don't think this will be the case, however there will be those who in their minds think a famine as swept over the UK, leaving it's inhabitants void of any food and goodies to snack on after they've eaten enough for a week in one day.

Most in the west eat 3-4x what their body needs anyways. They'll still have too much food.

The rest of us should have learned not to view headlines with much truth by now anyways.

Macron is still waiting for his Christmas turkey to arrive after his debacle. Think he's realised most have seen through his knee jerk reaction as spitting the dummy out over Brexit negotiations.

They already have this new strain in France but their testing system was unable to detect the difference. I still maintain as I suggested when it was first announced that it was there before here considering it was found first in Kent.

By *ensual massagerMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Well our local Tesco is open and a raft of small shops and definitely got full shelves

FAKE NEWS

Our daughter works in Aldi’s def no shortage she said her stock room crammed. Why do the press keep trying to start panic buying b

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

Mr and Mrs Fuckwitt ... please take note of this - please go and stock up on Toilet rolls and at least a couple of months of Lettuces and Salad stuff!! ... you have been warned!!

Bless em!

R xx

Britain to face food shortages in just a few days???????

Scaremongering sensationalised bullshit.

Let us know when your starving!!!

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

"I do smile when people say we'll just have to go back to how it used to be. What era are they referring to? Rationing was introduced in WW2 partly because imported food was very scarce. In the unlikely event of food shortages next week or next month (that's shortages rather than prohibitively expensive) as a country we are in no position to start making up the shortfall over night. It would take months or even years. We don't have local, agricultural labour or land how many live on a housing estate with farm in the name or visit farms that owners have turned in to petting zoos and tourist attractions?

We can't "go back" "

It is interesting, there has a been a series of programmes on Channel 5 called ‘Wartime Christmas’ which looks at the 5 Christmas’s that were ‘endured’ during WW2, which kinda puts things in perspective I think.... we have a had not so good 12 months and a possibly not so good Christmas too .... but fingers crossed - it’s a one off - but things ain’t so bad really!

R xx

Forum Mod

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 26/12/20 14:39:32]

I doubt very much that we will need to go back to a time when the only fresh fruit available most of the year was pears and apples and through the winter it was parsnips, turnips, carrots and some sort of winter cabbage or nothing. If we do have to the growing areas of the UK had better get themselves sorted quick smart "

i did think this when reading posts where people suggest we become more self sufficient... its all good and fine growing some herbs and tomatoes in window boxes as a hobby but as a realistic option for feeding yourself... its not just about being able to get items out of season... food takes time to grow... where are we getting the space and time to continuously have at lest something in season ready to harvest

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"I remember when you could only buy fruit and veg when it was in season. We also grew our own. Perhaps we should just go back to being a bit more self reliant, saves money too. You don't need a massive garden to do a bit either, just a couple of tubs, hanging baskets etc. It's surpting what you can grow in them. I've grown strawberries and cherry tomatoes in my hanging baskets with nasturtiums, all edible.

Good luck growing strawberries and cherry tomatoes that fruit between mid September and some point in June. My tomatoes didn't even turn red this year.

"

My thoughts too. How can fruit and veg be grown in the winter months in the UK, especially up north? Answers on a postcard please.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I do smile when people say we'll just have to go back to how it used to be. What era are they referring to? Rationing was introduced in WW2 partly because imported food was very scarce. In the unlikely event of food shortages next week or next month (that's shortages rather than prohibitively expensive) as a country we are in no position to start making up the shortfall over night. It would take months or even years. We don't have local, agricultural labour or land how many live on a housing estate with farm in the name or visit farms that owners have turned in to petting zoos and tourist attractions?

We can't "go back"

It is interesting, there has a been a series of programmes on Channel 5 called ‘Wartime Christmas’ which looks at the 5 Christmas’s that were ‘endured’ during WW2, which kinda puts things in perspective I think.... we have a had not so good 12 months and a possibly not so good Christmas too .... but fingers crossed - it’s a one off - but things ain’t so bad really!

R xx"

True but saying that my current concerns aren't valid because my grandfather had a tough time of it is like telling me to stop whinging that I can't get antibiotics because they weren't available 200 years ago.

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Stop reading the news

Lol

Forum Mod

East Sussex

i did think this when reading posts where people suggest we become more self sufficient... its all good and fine growing some herbs and tomatoes in window boxes as a hobby but as a realistic option for feeding yourself... its not just about being able to get items out of season... food takes time to grow... where are we getting the space and time to continuously have at lest something in season ready to harvest "

I've got about 4 carrots in the garden which our visiting badger has had a go at. We could grow more and would if necessary but it'll be May before we see any of it apart from micro greens and salad leaves.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I remember when you could only buy fruit and veg when it was in season. We also grew our own. Perhaps we should just go back to being a bit more self reliant, saves money too. You don't need a massive garden to do a bit either, just a couple of tubs, hanging baskets etc. It's surpting what you can grow in them. I've grown strawberries and cherry tomatoes in my hanging baskets with nasturtiums, all edible.

My thoughts too. How can fruit and veg be grown in the winter months in the UK, especially up north? Answers on a postcard please. "

They would need to depend on Kent and Norfolk to a large degree or a system of heated glass houses and poly tunnels. There's always the channel Islands for early salad and potatoes

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

My thoughts too. How can fruit and veg be grown in the winter months in the UK, especially up north? Answers on a postcard please. "

Poly tunnels and lighting.?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

My thoughts too. How can fruit and veg be grown in the winter months in the UK, especially up north? Answers on a postcard please.

Poly tunnels and lighting.?"

And the cost?

Lots of foreign refrigerated trucks rolling in to a well known supermarket

fruit and veg food processing depot near me this morning.

Also noted that some flour tankers were leaving the local mill.

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

Lol what a load of rubbish. With all the grub people have stored up over Xmas. We have enough food to live till March.

"why are you surprised? and we'll wait for putin to turn our power off"

I do not think that will happen, he needs the money.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

There is or will be any food shortages, they prioritise perishable goods

It’s always the same zone politician will infer a possible problem and the press jump in it.

All of a sudden theres rumours all over Facebook ect

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Always food around if you are willing to adapt what you make a meal out of, even if it’s not a conventional pairing or nutritionally balanced.

"There is or will be any food shortages, they prioritise perishable goods

It’s always the same zone politician will infer a possible problem and the press jump in it.

All of a sudden theres rumours all over Facebook ect "

which kicks off panic buyers and it becomes at fulfilling prophecy

i understand independence of the press and no regulation is important to stop them being censored , but at what point and how does something have to be change so they start reporting responsibly again instead of clickbait shite that is often detrimental to the public rather than in their interest

feel like 2020 is just being stuck between a rock and a hard place in every area of life

Forum Mod

East Sussex

All of a sudden theres rumours all over Facebook ect "

But the anecdotal evidence cited on this thread says that the shelves are full.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4668918.stm

That's the tomatoes sorted oop north

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Perhaps they’ll stop chucking perfectly good vegetables away like the odd shapers etc.

I actually don’t know anybody who gives two fucks what a carrot, spud etc look like raw.

All the same chopped, diced, sliced whatever in the pot or oven.

S

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's all "they", "them","other people" everyone on the forum appears to be a paragon of virtue

West Wales

One supermarket were giving away Carrots, Parsnips & Brussels Xmas eve afternoon.

A friend posted a pic earlier today of a £40 Turkey crown for £4.50!!

Go shopping now, not only will you not be short of food it’ll also be for peanuts!

S

"It's all "they", "them","other people" everyone on the forum appears to be a paragon of virtue "

Yep "I" buy all they wonky fruit and veg...its cheaper in the supermarkets

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"One supermarket were giving away Carrots, Parsnips & Brussels Xmas eve afternoon.

Go shopping now, not only will you not be short of food it’ll also be for peanuts!

S"

I'm not going to a shop unless I have to .

We have full cupboards and fridge but it wasn't panic buying, oh no only "they" panic buy, when I get a stock of stuff in its sensible

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's all "they", "them","other people" everyone on the forum appears to be a paragon of virtue

Yep "I" buy all they wonky fruit and veg...its cheaper in the supermarkets "

I buy some of it but I won't buy the stuff that's impossible to peel so you end up with a potato that's a third of its original size. The stuff that comes out of our garden is positively pornographic in shape

West Wales

Food just doesn't arrive here by truck! "

Doesn’t arrive here at all on trucks leaving for the continent to go home for Xmas.

The vast majority have missed their family time not a return load of lettuce whatever to bring back here.

S

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"One supermarket were giving away Carrots, Parsnips & Brussels Xmas eve afternoon.

S"

We got a bonus extra turkey breast in the turkey breast roll we ordered. We're assuming they had extra due to last minute changes of plan for people, so we've frozen the extra one for another day!

"It's all "they", "them","other people" everyone on the forum appears to be a paragon of virtue

I buy some of it but I won't buy the stuff that's impossible to peel so you end up with a potato that's a third of its original size. The stuff that comes out of our garden is positively pornographic in shape "

Try growing Jerusalem artichokes...now they are a real bugger to peel

S

We have full cupboards and fridge but it wasn't panic buying, oh no only "they" panic buy, when I get a stock of stuff in its sensible "

i think alot of people that dont panic buy still massively over buy at christmas

im in a lockdown area with a fridge full of party food for 1

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I buy some of it but I won't buy the stuff that's impossible to peel so you end up with a potato that's a third of its original size. The stuff that comes out of our garden is positively pornographic in shape

Try growing Jerusalem artichokes...now they are a real bugger to peel "

Yeah them and celeriac

Forum Mod

East Sussex

S

We have full cupboards and fridge but it wasn't panic buying, oh no only "they" panic buy, when I get a stock of stuff in its sensible

i think alot of people that dont panic buy still massively over buy at christmas

im in a lockdown area with a fridge full of party food for 1 "

Yeah I was being a bit sarcastic, . So many people finger pointing with full cupboards themselves.

Enjoy your food. We're in full lockdown too. Thank goodness a lot of the stuff is frozen

North West

Shortages are biting. Ocado had no types of sliced white bread to order

*Cracks out the bread flour I stashed in Lockdown 1*

#firstworldproblems

West Wales

S

We have full cupboards and fridge but it wasn't panic buying, oh no only "they" panic buy, when I get a stock of stuff in its sensible "

Same here, we haven’t left the house in three days & don’t need to pop out until Monday as we are running low on milk & pet food.

Thing is we both hate shopping so if that’s what we need then that is what we will get. Nothing else unless by Monday that’s running low too.

S

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"As I drove into to town to buy a few things Christmas Eve, the radio news was talking about stripped supermarket shelves from panic buying.

The media has a lot to answer for.

Yes, they are the cause of most of the panic and scaremongering. I watch RT news, at least you get the facts. "

I dip into RT for entertainment sometimes. RT and facts Now they are 2 words they rarely belong in the same sentence.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Only thing the papers are good for is lighting the wood burner!

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

All of a sudden theres rumours all over Facebook ect

which kicks off panic buyers and it becomes at fulfilling prophecy

i understand independence of the press and no regulation is important to stop them being censored , but at what point and how does something have to be change so they start reporting responsibly again instead of clickbait shite that is often detrimental to the public rather than in their interest

feel like 2020 is just being stuck between a rock and a hard place in every area of life "

I do think the problem is more social media. Press readership is falling. The speed that disinformation moves at on social media is a worry. That's just another way of saying the problem is the gullible fools that amplify and spread garbage like this.

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Dont believe what you read in the paper its all rubbish ..

"I have been reading the news and it said that supermarkets fear that they will suffer food shortages in just a few days time, as the current dover to calais border closure is set to continue to delay shipments into the weekend, how long do you reckon it could last? Is it just this weekend or could it be for longer? Lets hope not.

Only thing the papers are good for is lighting the wood burner! "

Yeah we've all got enough bog roll

By *uffnmuffCouple  over a year ago

London

why you believe the shit the news pumps out is beyond me.

By *ucksguy2000Man  over a year ago

aylesbury

Who cares, let’s go back to eating food in season. We’ve got so used to having what we want when we want it that people don’t understand what is seasonal and what isn’t. Rely on our own farmers and growers to feed us, will help with the economy

ashford

"Who cares, let’s go back to eating food in season. We’ve got so used to having what we want when we want it that people don’t understand what is seasonal and what isn’t. Rely on our own farmers and growers to feed us, will help with the economy "

U think there b enough home grown to feed the country? Me not think so!! X

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Who cares, let’s go back to eating food in season. We’ve got so used to having what we want when we want it that people don’t understand what is seasonal and what isn’t. Rely on our own farmers and growers to feed us, will help with the economy "

The U.K. hasn’t been self reliant for food since the repeal of the corn laws in 1846

"I have been reading the news and it said that supermarkets fear that they will suffer food shortages in just a few days time, as the current dover to calais border closure is set to continue to delay shipments into the weekend, how long do you reckon it could last? Is it just this weekend or could it be for longer? Lets hope not.

Only thing the papers are good for is lighting the wood burner! "

During and just after the war newspapers were torn into small squares, had a hole made in 1 corner then threaded on to a piece of string and then duly hung in the loo. No andrex in those days.

"Nonsense. And even if we do, it's hardly going to be end-of-the-world famine kind of stuff. I suspect it'd be more people getting in a flap that they can't have off-season strawberries from Spain or some other fancy imported item, rather than an immediate shortage of all and any food. And despite what some might have you think, I'm pretty sure that if it came to it, most people would be able to find *something* to eat even if it's not exactly what they went out to buy. "

But that doesn't sell papers.

North West

"Who cares, let’s go back to eating food in season. We’ve got so used to having what we want when we want it that people don’t understand what is seasonal and what isn’t. Rely on our own farmers and growers to feed us, will help with the economy

The U.K. hasn’t been self reliant for food since the repeal of the corn laws in 1846

"

The good old days!

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Who cares, let’s go back to eating food in season. We’ve got so used to having what we want when we want it that people don’t understand what is seasonal and what isn’t. Rely on our own farmers and growers to feed us, will help with the economy

The good old days! "

Ah yes... the longed for days of cholera and the poorhouse...

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

they are leaving the UK AFTER unloading or taking goods out.... nothing stopping trucks coming into the country

By *otkisses33Woman  over a year ago

felpham

No you don’t.. your fine how you are x

We won't be short of food there may be shortage of continental abd global produce of unseasonal vegetables which we can't grow here we have plenty seasonal produce here it's just as consumers we think we can get whatever we want whenever we want from anywhere in the globe as consumers can be pretty ignorant to issues of supply and think it's a disaster if we can't get our avocado etc

That's not having no food it's just not having as much choice as we would like for a short period of time.

Hang your heads in shame considering much of the planet is starving.

Snowflake generation for sure.

By *otkisses33Woman  over a year ago

felpham

Nope your fine as you are x

By *oupleforxtrafunCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

A lot of people could do with not having food for A while to appreciate

[A lot of people could do with not having food for A while to appreciate][your 100% correct there ]

Tin town

Ask any of the drug growing farms... Growing stuff has moved on a bit... Hydroponics, warm houses, poly tunnels, gro lights... If people had to.... Amazon would find a way for them.

Tin town

"It's all "they", "them","other people" everyone on the forum appears to be a paragon of virtue "

It's always someone elses job..

Thems the rules surely? Can't expect me to do anything I have an ingrowing toe nail.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

"Oh no! Not yet another panic mongering post! As others have stated there may be a few things that we go short of, but at least it'll cut down on some of the food miles we currently rack up which can't be a bad thing?

Stay sane everyone and we'll all be fine

Yes, let's just blame the French for everything... "

I blame the Romans - what have they ever done for us?

Tin town

U think there b enough home grown to feed the country? Me not think so!! X"

Not sure that's what he was saying. Just eat more home grown produce. I agree. Let's produce more of our own too. Better for us, better for environment.

Ask any of the drug growing farms... Growing stuff has moved on a bit... Hydroponics, warm houses, poly tunnels, gro lights... If people had to.... Amazon would find a way for them. "

i suspect quite a bit more profit in growing than carrots to make it worth your while

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Not sure that's what he was saying. Just eat more home grown produce. I agree. Let's produce more of our own too. Better for us, better for environment. "

I grow quit a lot and it nice to go down the garden and pick what is for dinner.

I'd like to see more allotments offerd lots have closed and food banks have opened councils need to step up to lacking space..

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Dig for victory. Where do I sign up to be a land girl?

Tin town

Ask any of the drug growing farms... Growing stuff has moved on a bit... Hydroponics, warm houses, poly tunnels, gro lights... If people had to.... Amazon would find a way for them.

i suspect quite a bit more profit in growing than carrots to make it worth your while "

Possibly, but all I'm saying is necessity is the mother of invention. People can grow stuff oop North. If we need to make a change, make a change. It may even be for the better.

Tin town

Not sure that's what he was saying. Just eat more home grown produce. I agree. Let's produce more of our own too. Better for us, better for environment.

I grow quit a lot and it nice to go down the garden and pick what is for dinner.

I'd like to see more allotments offerd lots have closed and food banks have opened councils need to step up to lacking space.. "

It's all that safe and well lit and maintained parkland councils provide!

Tin town

"Dig for victory. Where do I sign up to be a land girl? "

I'm diggin your scene baby...

As Dr Robert once warbled..

North West

"Dig for victory. Where do I sign up to be a land girl? "

I don't think you can be a land girl dressed like that

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Dig for victory. Where do I sign up to be a land girl?

I don't think you can be a land girl dressed like that "

Damn, I've attached that picture to my cv

i suspect quite a bit more profit in growing than carrots to make it worth your while

Possibly, but all I'm saying is necessity is the mother of invention. People can grow stuff oop North. If we need to make a change, make a change. It may even be for the better. "

Egyptian strawberries we get in winter are awful hard rocks of things anyway I would rather wait for british grown and early summer. We'll never be able to change our eating habits as a country now but seasonal eating isnt really beyond the realms of possibility.

By *tarbuck007Man  over a year ago

up2no good

This is absolutely bullocks. We will never never run out of food. Its a scare, mongering that only vulnerable people fall for this.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Possibly, but all I'm saying is necessity is the mother of invention. People can grow stuff oop North. If we need to make a change, make a change. It may even be for the better.

Egyptian strawberries we get in winter are awful hard rocks of things anyway I would rather wait for british grown and early summer. We'll never be able to change our eating habits as a country now but seasonal eating isnt really beyond the realms of possibility. "

I find it much more interesting to have fresh, local seasonal food. It's a really exciting pleasure when a new vegetable rocks up each year and there are perhaps just a few weeks to enjoy it. It's a real treat to get the first batch to be ready to eat.

We've been a bit spoilt, having this stuff travelling thousands of miles for us, without any regard to the consequences of its damage and also what we may be consuming, when crops are cultivated in other regimes. And that's not to mention the impacts on growers here.

scotland

they are leaving the UK AFTER unloading or taking goods out.... nothing stopping trucks coming into the country"

Sorry, but were they not leaving the UK with the intention of picking up something and returning it to the UK? If they are stuck at Dover they are delayed which impacts the supply chain.

Anyway, at least you aren't abusive like hotcouple2u. They sent me a message and blocked me which really isn't acceptable. Reported the daft ****s.

I am not a rocket scientist, but aren't all those trucks stuck at Dover looking to leave the United Kingdom?

Iffey second hand shellfish not a good idea after its sell by date. Consume at your own pearl.

(Parden) .

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

Is Gregg's closing lol

West Wales

they are leaving the UK AFTER unloading or taking goods out.... nothing stopping trucks coming into the country

Sorry, but were they not leaving the UK with the intention of picking up something and returning it to the UK? If they are stuck at Dover they are delayed which impacts the supply chain.

Anyway, at least you aren't abusive like hotcouple2u. They sent me a message and blocked me which really isn't acceptable. Reported the daft ****s."

Any other week maybe, but Xmas week I’d hazard a good guess that many wouldn’t be reloading anything. It’s one of the reasons there are so few Brits.

S

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Wouldn't that be great? A little less profit for supermarkets and a bit more self reliance. Bit of fun for kids to see too. "

Yes, my kids loved it, we didn't do loads of stuff, but they know how it grows rather than just thinking it comes from a shop.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

By *iger-NWMan  over a year ago

Preston

The masochists will love it

scotland

"I am not a rocket scientist, but aren't all those trucks stuck at Dover looking to leave the United Kingdom? "

With 4,000 lorries stuck how long do you think it will take to clear the backlog and for those lorries to return to their normal pattern of collection and delivery? Potential shortages are obvious.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

We're all doomed,doomed I tells ya !

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

Trucks are more or less all gone back to Europe now

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"I am not a rocket scientist, but aren't all those trucks stuck at Dover looking to leave the United Kingdom?

With 4,000 lorries stuck how long do you think it will take to clear the backlog and for those lorries to return to their normal pattern of collection and delivery? Potential shortages are obvious."

am pretty sure they have already cleared the airfield they were using and not to many left at the side of roads so took them a cpl of days to clear

By *olex99Man  over a year ago

Hull

The OP must work for the Daily Express with this kind of scaremongering. It's posts like his that cause the emptying of supermarket shelves by idiots.

By * New YorkieMan  over a year ago

Leeds

"That's ok.. freezer n fridge is full.

I need a few pounds off...

Plus I got gin..so all good"

I feel the same

ashford

Worked this morn picking no fresh stuff in but might b because it's the exmas period and sunday! Will see what it's like in morning ! But lots of redused salad and veg if peeps need stuff x

Tin town

Not sure if this has been posted before... From evening standard after UK tested 1500 truckers and zero positives returned.

"The EU’s Transport Commissioner Adina Valean criticised Emmanuel Macron’s government over the weekend’s freight ban.

She tweeted: “I am pleased that at this moment, we have trucks slowly crossing the Channel, and I want to thank UK authorities that they started testing the drivers at a capacity of 300 tests per hour.

“I deplore that France went against our recommendations and brought us back to the situation we were in in March when the supply chains were interrupted.”

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"Not sure if this has been posted before... From evening standard after UK tested 1500 truckers and zero positives returned.

"The EU’s Transport Commissioner Adina Valean criticised Emmanuel Macron’s government over the weekend’s freight ban.

She tweeted: “I am pleased that at this moment, we have trucks slowly crossing the Channel, and I want to thank UK authorities that they started testing the drivers at a capacity of 300 tests per hour.

“I deplore that France went against our recommendations and brought us back to the situation we were in in March when the supply chains were interrupted.”"

You mean like when a few mink caught covid in Denmark and the UK immediately banned all travel from Denmark.

By *ucksguy2000Man  over a year ago

aylesbury

U think there b enough home grown to feed the country? Me not think so!! X"

Being a country boy, Lincolnshire originally I have confidence in our farmers and growers, however you could be right

By *etitebiguyMan  over a year ago

Molesey, Hampton Court

Didn't happen though did it? Any shortage there may have been was because of Idiots thinking there would be and stockpiling...the IQ of this country is in single digits.

Tin town

"Didn't happen though did it? Any shortage there may have been was because of Idiots thinking there would be and stockpiling...the IQ of this country is in single digits."

That's a bugger. Let's start a new rumour... There'll be loads of lettuces thrown away... Aren't we a wasteful bunch...

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Will it be the tip of the iceberg ?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Being a country boy, Lincolnshire originally I have confidence in our farmers and growers, however you could be right"

I've got confidence in our farmers and growersbut even the best among them can't have crops ready for harvest tomorrow.

Tin town

"Will it be the tip of the iceberg ?"

Oh very sharp a gem in fact

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Will it be the tip of the iceberg ?"

Boom boom

ashford

Still no fresh stuff delivered! Not sure its xmas deliveries or not! Was annoying having to sub and short life stuff I know that! X

ashford

Being a country boy, Lincolnshire originally I have confidence in our farmers and growers, however you could be right

I've got confidence in our farmers and growersbut even the best among them can't have crops ready for harvest tomorrow. "

And never enough to feed the country for sure! X

Tin town

I saw a transit van broken down on the m20 outside of Ashford. Are there going to be shortages of glace cherries for new years eve?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I saw a transit van broken down on the m20 outside of Ashford. Are there going to be shortages of glace cherries for new years eve? "
You will start a panic on here lol

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I saw a transit van broken down on the m20 outside of Ashford. Are there going to be shortages of glace cherries for new years eve? "

There's already a shortage in this house. No babycham or advocaat either

I am currently visiting a place where they don't even know what glacé cherries are! They don't even sell them! It's ruined my recipe.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"I saw a transit van broken down on the m20 outside of Ashford. Are there going to be shortages of glace cherries for new years eve?

I am currently visiting a place where they don't even know what glacé cherries are! They don't even sell them! It's ruined my recipe. "

Make your recipe in a pint glass and leave the cherries out.

By the time you get to the bottom of the recipe the cherries become immaterial...

Tin town

"I saw a transit van broken down on the m20 outside of Ashford. Are there going to be shortages of glace cherries for new years eve?

I am currently visiting a place where they don't even know what glacé cherries are! They don't even sell them! It's ruined my recipe. "

Have they lost their cherries?

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

I have to admit that I only have only read the OP's post and nothing between, but now that it's 3 days later (sorry was away enjoying Christmas) and the panic-attacks have subsided I can't find anything at all that says anyone is short of anything.

And it's usually just the same every single time a panic hits the headlines.

Don't worry, we won't see our good neighbour go hungry.... Oh no wait, 1845

By *rbital1Man  over a year ago

Alverstone, Isle of wight

I work in food distribution, there might be a few delays buy no food shortages.

Its nothing we have not dealt with before within the industry.

North West

"I have to admit that I only have only read the OP's post and nothing between, but now that it's 3 days later (sorry was away enjoying Christmas) and the panic-attacks have subsided I can't find anything at all that says anyone is short of anything.

And it's usually just the same every single time a panic hits the headlines.

"

Indeed, quite the opposite here. We accidentally ordered double on a few regular basket items on our Ocado order, so we're feverishly prepping veg for freezing, divvying up the bread and sticking spare milk to freeze too. Good job we have a chest freezer!

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

Was there any shortages ????

No, it’s just more bullshit from the media .. to sensationalise again and again ... the media want a real regulator... they make more problems and over egg (still plenty of those in the ships) everything .... I make them go sit at Dover, then starve em and tell them, didn’t u know there is a food shortage

I am currently visiting a place where they don't even know what glacé cherries are! They don't even sell them! It's ruined my recipe.

By the time you get to the bottom of the recipe the cherries become immaterial... "

hic!

Best not to believe everything you read in so-called 'news'papers OP. Speculation and scaremongering isn't news. We aren't going to starve. And breathe ...

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

By the time you get to the bottom of the recipe the cherries become immaterial...

hic!

"

That's funny as the cherries are made/prosesed on Kent

» Add a new message to this topic