FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > The vaccine...

The vaccine...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Will it end up being like the flu shot, where only those of a certain age or over or vunerable can have it? The only difference being school children won't get the Covid vaccine as they are less affected by it.

What happens to the age group under 50 when everyone else has been vaccinated and the R rate is really low and it wouldn't cause a strain on the NHS?

Will the government decide its not financially viable to vaccinate the under 50's and try just stopping smaller outbreaks instead?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I'm guessing that may well be the case - at least at first.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

"Will it end up being like the flu shot, where only those of a certain age or over or vunerable can have it? The only difference being school children won't get the Covid vaccine as they are less affected by it.

What happens to the age group under 50 when everyone else has been vaccinated and the R rate is really low and it wouldn't cause a strain on the NHS?

Will the government decide its not financially viable to vaccinate the under 50's and try just stopping smaller outbreaks instead? "

Perhaps you should ask your MP if he can ask that question in parliament.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

That’s the big question we don’t know the answer to yet, from whether the under 50s will receive it or it’s a yearly dosage. Only time and research will answer that.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Most people seem so adamant we will all get it. I'm really not convinced at all.

I hope if it the case they offer it as something you can pay for like the flu shot.

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"Will it end up being like the flu shot, where only those of a certain age or over or vunerable can have it? The only difference being school children won't get the Covid vaccine as they are less affected by it.

Will the government decide its not financially viable to vaccinate the under 50's and try just stopping smaller outbreaks instead? "

The new strain does effect school children and it is likely the older children will get the vaccine. But they are not a high priority yet

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Most people seem so adamant we will all get it. I'm really not convinced at all.

I hope if it the case they offer it as something you can pay for like the flu shot."

This is actually something I’d not actually considered... but knowing what this government is like I wouldn’t be entirely surprised.

It’s obviously more deadly and easier to transmit than flu, so it would take a very stupid or callous government to limit it to just the vulnerable

By *ickdasterdly51Man  over a year ago

Lingfield

They are clearly and correctly prioritising the over 50s and vulnerable over the next few months but my understanding is that it will then be offered to the younger age groups during the remainder of the year if they want it. Interesting to see what they do about this age group over this summer, will they let events go ahead with attendance at their own risk as they are not considered to be at risk. My guess is that they will, I can't see the hospitality industry go another summer without any income.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm guessing that as the virus is going to be around the world, coming into the UK, as well as still here, that all adults will be vaccinated. They've not been tested and thus aren't approved, for children - that may change in future.

Once the R value is sustained much closer to zero, repeated vaccinations may be reserved for the most highly vulnerable. It may be available for a fee to others, as other vaccines are today.

We don't know how long immunity lasts at present, so an annual booster may fit with GP workloads.

The lower cost Oxford jab is something like £3/4.00, so we could assume c. £15 total per person delivered. It's not a huge cost, if it sustains national health and the economy.

Other treatments will come online too, such as those on trial, which prevent illness, for those who get exposed.

It's going to depend on the prevalence over the next few years. The UK will want to make the country an attractive place for visitors, so ongoing vaccinations would support that

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The government have said that they want to vaccinate everyone over the age of 16. The hope will be that when th mass vaccination are over, there will be enough immunity in the country (and hopefully most other countries) that the virus will just die out.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

There's no way of really knowing, but I think they will be going full out to be able to vaccinate the over 50s, when they have finished doing that I think it might be time to start them off again being revaccinated as the immunity might not last more than 6 months or a year.

It depends availability of the various vaccinations, how fast they will be able to vaccinate everybody, and whether they will give each person one or two shots.

We have to be patient and see

By *ustforfun49Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

You pay to have the flu jab if you are under the age to get it free perhaps this will happen with this vaccine to

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

On purely economic grounds, it will be far cheaper to keep vaccinating for free and moving downwards through the age groups, until the R rate becomes low and the number of infections becomes negligible. The lockdowns and financial support schemes have so far cost hundreds of times more than the total amount to vaccinate every person in the country.

Eventually covid should become a background problem similar to flu where there will be occasional clusters of cases but not a continuous spreading, controlled by annual vaccine updates to the most at risk groups.

Economically (without doing the sums on paper, just an order of magnitude mental calculation) i think that it will be cheaper to give out 1000 vaccinations for free, than to incur the health care costs of a single person going into hospital for covid.

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

The majority of the under 50s would not be hospitalised anyway

By *it412Man  over a year ago

luton airport hotel

"Most people seem so adamant we will all get it. I'm really not convinced at all.

I hope if it the case they offer it as something you can pay for like the flu shot.

This is actually something I’d not actually considered... but knowing what this government is like I wouldn’t be entirely surprised.

It’s obviously more deadly and easier to transmit than flu, so it would take a very stupid or callous government to limit it to just the vulnerable "

No proof that it is more deadly, just more contagious

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

We are such a long way from getting to that age group.

I'm surprised though there is no evidence that the govt want to improve the "hardyness" (fnar fnar) of the people in the event they catch it...

With vitamin d boost programs, improved cardio health programs, improved diets etc... Surely a fitter healthier population would put less strain on the nhs?

One other thing to consider for those pondering their freedom to travel.

Imagine in 12 months when 10 million people have been vaccinated ...you travel to spain... Italy... Wherever and you encounter folks who have not been vaccinated... And bring it back into the country.? Its not just an issue to be permitted to fly out... But the consequences of bringing it back... Remember how this all started.

By *innerforthreeMan  over a year ago

London/herts

Will the government decide its not financially viable to vaccinate the under 50's and try just stopping smaller outbreaks instead?

I'm surprised though there is no evidence that the govt want to improve the "hardyness" (fnar fnar) of the people in the event they catch it...

With vitamin d boost programs, improved cardio health programs, improved diets etc... Surely a fitter healthier population would put less strain on the nhs?

Imagine in 12 months when 10 million people have been vaccinated ...you travel to spain... Italy... Wherever and you encounter folks who have not been vaccinated... And bring it back into the country.? Its not just an issue to be permitted to fly out... But the consequences of bringing it back... Remember how this all started. "

You think you are going to be flying anywhere anytime soon?!

By *ustforfun49Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

Imagine in 12 months when 10 million people have been vaccinated ...you travel to spain... Italy... Wherever and you encounter folks who have not been vaccinated... And bring it back into the country.? Its not just an issue to be permitted to fly out... But the consequences of bringing it back... Remember how this all started. "

That's why the more people get vaccinated the better

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

I hope if it the case they offer it as something you can pay for like the flu shot."

Currently there are no plans to vaccinate those under 50 who aren’t clinically vulnerable.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

With the flu vaccine we vaccinate the vulnerable to reduce the chance of them catching it and dying. No reason why covid has to be any different. One reason to ignore the half arsed Oxford vaccine and stick with the 90-95% effective ones.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

And what? If the vulnerable have been vaccinated then bringing it back doesn't matter.

» Add a new message to this topic