FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Vaccine question

Vaccine question

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aralewis OP   Couple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

They all want us to have a vaccine

To get rid of covid

But if i went to china and took theirs that seems to be working would i need another in uk..and last thing that puzzles me is if its a world wide problem why havent all countries worked together to produce a Vaccine

Coz china and Russia had one but we was told they not done enough test to be sure it works but 10 month later where rolling one out that usuall takes 8-10 years to be approved

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *spotpleasurerMan  over a year ago

Norwich

For the most part, medicines are not made by countries but profit seeking companies. For Covid, there has been a lot of information shared between counties e.g. genome sequence data that has helped vaccine development.

Countries are responsible for which medicines they approve and the process and the time taken varies around the world. Russia, for example, approved their vaccine before the clinical trial data was released.

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

"They all want us to have a vaccine

To get rid of covid

But if i went to china and took theirs that seems to be working would i need another in uk..and last thing that puzzles me is if its a world wide problem why havent all countries worked together to produce a Vaccine

Coz china and Russia had one but we was told they not done enough test to be sure it works but 10 month later where rolling one out that usuall takes 8-10 years to be approved "

Depends how successful the china/russia one is and if you feel confident in it.

If you feel it provides you with a satisfactory level of protection then why would you get another one. Its not compulsory.

By *angibleMan  over a year ago

Cambridge

" They all want us to have a vaccine

To get rid of covid

But if i went to china and took theirs that seems to be working would i need another in UK "

If a vaccine has been approved by an appropriate body you wouldn't need another vaccination. I don't imagine the Chinese vaccines have been approved by a body that the UK recognises as yet but assuming that they work I imagine they will be approved in due course.

" ..and last thing that puzzles me is if its a world wide problem why havent all countries worked together to produce a Vaccine

Coz china and Russia had one but we was told they not done enough test to be sure it works but 10 month later where rolling one out that usuall takes 8-10 years to be approved "

Usually most attempts to make vaccine fail so it would make sense for many different vaccines to be developed at the same time (assuming the need is great enough, such as are rich people at risk). We've been lucky with the effectiveness of those trialled so far but that may in part be due to modern biotechnology. Also some countries (USA not looking at you!) who wanted their own vaccine so they of tell everyone else to fuck off, so relying on one supplier suddenly seems like a bad plan.

New techniques have lopped a chunk off of the development time. Rather than having to find the virus, find a way to grow the virus, find a way to make the virus less dangerous and finally trying it out in some people the RNA sequence can be found in days and turned into a potential vaccine in a day. The testing still takes ages but this time the 3 stages were overlapped rather than being run in sequence, knocking maybe a year off.

The Russian vaccine has not been trialed to Western standards but the poor Russians are living in what amounts to dictatorship so they don't get any choice. Ditto China. I think both countries have good scientists but they are vulnerable to being told what to do and say by their politicians so trust in their work is consequently lower.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

To get rid of covid

Personally I think it has more to do with funding, as in whose company gave the biggest donation to promote their vaccine.

As someone stated these vaccines, are created to make companies money.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

To get rid of covid

Who is they? In this country it is your choice to elect to receive a vaccine or not.

I'd be interested to see if you can go to China and have one the Chinese vaccines. Let us know how that goes.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Each country has its own rules for medicines, including approvals. The standard for trialling meds is different too. We personally have our own decisions and rules on what we'd each allow into our body. You could have every vaccine from Russia, China, the west but most people will prefer 1 that's approved to local standards.

Those in the West have open scientific literature available for them, so that you can make a more informed choice. It's unlikely that they are all equal

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There has been lots of cooperation but ultimately most are produced by commercial companies, who protect their work. Their infrastructures are conducive to volume production, trial management etc

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

"There has been lots of cooperation but ultimately most are produced by commercial companies, who protect their work. Their infrastructures are conducive to volume production, trial management etc"

Although the Oxford vacinne is only being produced at cost. Hence why it is cheaper and will probably be the most widely used amongst low risk people

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

To get rid of covid

There is a group working together under the WHo to get vaccines made available for everyone. Currently 172 countries signed up including China engaged in COVID-19 vaccine Global Access Facility to provide multiple candidate vaccines across the world. It started in August.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nine CEPI-supported candidate vaccines are part of the COVAX initiative, with a further nine candidates under evaluation, and procurement conversations on-going with additional producers not currently receiving research and development (R&D) funding through COVAX – giving COVAX the largest and most diverse COVID-19 vaccine portfolio in the world

80 potentially self-financing countries have submitted non-binding expressions of interest to the Gavi-coordinated COVAX Facility, joining 92 low- and middle-income economies that are eligible to be supported by the COVAX Advance Market Commitment (AMC)

Goal of bringing the pandemic under control via equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines needs urgent, broad scale commitment and investment from countries.

» Add a new message to this topic