FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > One in ten

One in ten

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man  over a year ago

in the sticks

With rumours so low stocks of vaccine, and now reports of one in ten having anti bodies due to already having it

Would it be too sensible to only test for antibodies first?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Government advice says to have the vaccine even if you have already had Covid19

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Well the government say to still have the vaccine. Not entirely sure why as the reports say antibodies are giving the same level of protection.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"Well the government say to still have the vaccine. Not entirely sure why as the reports say antibodies are giving the same level of protection."

To try and make the protection last longer, its all live trials atm, we are learning more everyday

in the sticks

As far as I'm aware, they don't even know how long the vaccine lasts, call it vaccine but it isn't....

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

"As far as I'm aware, they don't even know how long the vaccine lasts, call it vaccine but it isn't.... "

Why isn’t it? I’ve not seen reports of stock running low - where is your source please?

in the sticks

"As far as I'm aware, they don't even know how long the vaccine lasts, call it vaccine but it isn't....

Why isn’t it? I’ve not seen reports of stock running low - where is your source please? "

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-07/covid-birmingham-council-leaders-plea-to-matt-hancock-as-pfizer-vaccine-due-to-run-out-with-no-supply-of-oxford-jab

Should tell Birmingham Council to cc you in their emails in future

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

I'm all for edging my bets whether I've had it or not. I'd still have the vaccine.

"As far as I'm aware, they don't even know how long the vaccine lasts, call it vaccine but it isn't....

Why isn’t it? I’ve not seen reports of stock running low - where is your source please?

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-07/covid-birmingham-council-leaders-plea-to-matt-hancock-as-pfizer-vaccine-due-to-run-out-with-no-supply-of-oxford-jab

Should tell Birmingham Council to cc you in their emails in future "

That was 12 days ago and was soon addressed I believe.

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

That was 12 days ago and was soon addressed I believe."

Thanks didn’t think I’d seen it anywhere

in the sticks

That was 12 days ago and was soon addressed I believe."

Nope as vaccine stations ready to go but not getting the vaccine till the 25th

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

We don't know what the antibodies may mean, in terms of levels of immunity, or how long any immunity may last for. People infected months ago may still show them but have lost as any immunity by the time any test results are returned.

The only quantitative evidence we have is from the vaccine research trials, so that is all we should rely on. Omitting someone who once had an infection, leaving them open to another infection, could be cruel. They may have had organ damage etc the first time but a second time it finishes their life off.

"We don't know what the antibodies may mean, in terms of levels of immunity, or how long any immunity may last for. People infected months ago may still show them but have lost as any immunity by the time any test results are returned.

The only quantitative evidence we have is from the vaccine research trials, so that is all we should rely on. Omitting someone who once had an infection, leaving them open to another infection, could be cruel. They may have had organ damage etc the first time but a second time it finishes their life off. "

A study released last week shows clear evidence that having had an infection will provide immunity for at least 5 months (length of study).

in the sticks

Dr Duncan Robertson, an analyst at Loughborough University, said today: 'The number vaccinated has fallen for three successive days. It would be useful to know what the vaccine supply schedule is over the next weeks and months, and the reason for this decrease.'

The reasons behind the slowdown are not clear – it could be a consequence of the Government focusing efforts and supplies on slow rollout areas so they can get to all over-80s, or it may be a bottleneck in supply. Ministers repeatedly warned last week that manufacturing speed was the 'limiting factor' and it has emerged that Pfizer, one of the two vaccine suppliers, has delayed its deliveries for the rest of January while it expands its Belgian factory.

It comes amid growing pressure on the NHS to run a 24/7 service after people noticed the number of jabs given out over the weekend was lower than in the week.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Dr Duncan Robertson, an analyst at Loughborough University, said today: 'The number vaccinated has fallen for three successive days. It would be useful to know what the vaccine supply schedule is over the next weeks and months, and the reason for this decrease.'

The reasons behind the slowdown are not clear – it could be a consequence of the Government focusing efforts and supplies on slow rollout areas so they can get to all over-80s, or it may be a bottleneck in supply. Ministers repeatedly warned last week that manufacturing speed was the 'limiting factor' and it has emerged that Pfizer, one of the two vaccine suppliers, has delayed its deliveries for the rest of January while it expands its Belgian factory.

It comes amid growing pressure on the NHS to run a 24/7 service after people noticed the number of jabs given out over the weekend was lower than in the week."

I think some need to remember we are not the only country in the world that has this, vaccines need to be produced and shared fairly amongst all

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"With rumours so low stocks of vaccine, and now reports of one in ten having anti bodies due to already having it

Would it be too sensible to only test for antibodies first? "

For this nation, yes

"Dr Duncan Robertson, an analyst at Loughborough University, said today: 'The number vaccinated has fallen for three successive days. It would be useful to know what the vaccine supply schedule is over the next weeks and months, and the reason for this decrease.'

It comes amid growing pressure on the NHS to run a 24/7 service after people noticed the number of jabs given out over the weekend was lower than in the week.

I think some need to remember we are not the only country in the world that has this, vaccines need to be produced and shared fairly amongst all "

I heard a news report today that some very poor countries have Only received 25 vaccines so far but they didn't name them so I don't know if this is speculation or has any truth.

On a mooch

I think some need to remember we are not the only country in the world that has this, vaccines need to be produced and shared fairly amongst all

I heard a news report today that some very poor countries have Only received 25 vaccines so far but they didn't name them so I don't know if this is speculation or has any truth."

I wouldn’t be surprised at that. The WHO virtual R&D conference reported on 16 Jan that “More than 30 million vaccine doses have already been administered in 47 mostly high-income countries. But the global vaccine rollout has exposed glaring inequalities in access to this life-saving tool”

COVAX’s plan is to supply enough vaccine to each member country to vaccinate its most vulnerable individuals (approx 20% of population) and the idea is until that’s happened supplies will be diverted to complete this rather than just the rich countries getting first dabs for all

By *aralewisCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

Well all other virus people catch’s help build up their immune system

So it must have some effect if you’ve already caught it

And it’s your immune system that’s needs to be good

That’s why it doesn’t effect kids

Coz their immune system good

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

"

COVAX’s plan is to supply enough vaccine to each member country to vaccinate its most vulnerable individuals (approx 20% of population) and the idea is until that’s happened supplies will be diverted to complete this rather than just the rich countries getting first dabs for all "

Exactly.

My country confirmed a purchase of 12 million vaccine (Pfizer) which covers 20% of our population (2 doses/person).

The are planning to make another 50% to cover 70% of population with agreements with Sinovac and Astra-Zeneca.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"As far as I'm aware, they don't even know how long the vaccine lasts, call it vaccine but it isn't.... "

You mean to say they don't know how long a brand new vaccine that didn't exist a few months ago lasts?

Those pesky scientists eh

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

You mean to say they don't know how long a brand new vaccine that didn't exist a few months ago lasts?

Those pesky scientists eh "

When you put it like that it seems so obvious doesn't it.

E

By *igh wide and handsomeMan  over a year ago

Dagenham

Why isn’t it? I’ve not seen reports of stock running low - where is your source please? "

I've not seen reports, but when your trying to vaccine the whole world at once, I imagine stocks are gonna be constantly low, till everyone has had it.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

It's on every news channel.

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

"Government advice says to have the vaccine even if you have already had Covid19"

Government likely have personal shares in the Pharma conpanies.

Dont forget rule one, Never trust a Tory.

I heard a news report today that some very poor countries have Only received 25 vaccines so far but they didn't name them so I don't know if this is speculation or has any truth.

I wouldn’t be surprised at that. The WHO virtual R&D conference reported on 16 Jan that “More than 30 million vaccine doses have already been administered in 47 mostly high-income countries. But the global vaccine rollout has exposed glaring inequalities in access to this life-saving tool”

COVAX’s plan is to supply enough vaccine to each member country to vaccinate its most vulnerable individuals (approx 20% of population) and the idea is until that’s happened supplies will be diverted to complete this rather than just the rich countries getting first dabs for all "

Interested in your thoughts on how the rollout has exposed glaring inequalities? What are these has the roll out really exposed them or are they really not existing inequalities or are they new and how would you address and manage them?

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"Government advice says to have the vaccine even if you have already had Covid19

Government likely have personal shares in the Pharma conpanies.

Dont forget rule one, Never trust a Tory."

Yes yes yes, that makes perfect sense. Well done.

Don't take a vaccine that protects you and everyone around you because xyz has shares in the company.

On the subject of who has shares, I'm willing to bet politicians of many party's have shares, also willing to bet you do too without even knowing it.

Posts like this rank highly on the eye rollometer.

E

On a mooch

COVAX’s plan is to supply enough vaccine to each member country to vaccinate its most vulnerable individuals (approx 20% of population) and the idea is until that’s happened supplies will be diverted to complete this rather than just the rich countries getting first dabs for all

Interested in your thoughts on how the rollout has exposed glaring inequalities? What are these has the roll out really exposed them or are they really not existing inequalities or are they new and how would you address and manage them?"

These aren’t my words, if you read these are direct from WHO.

"With rumours so low stocks of vaccine, and now reports of one in ten having anti bodies due to already having it

Carrying the vaccine and having antibodies from the illness are two completely separate things.

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

Carrying the vaccine and having antibodies from the illness are two completely separate things.

"

"

Of course they are separate things but I think they question is if 'we' who had had the illness and therefore have some protection should go further back in the queue.

I don't know the answer to this but have yet to see a good enough explanation as to why this can't be the case.

in the sticks

Those pesky scientists eh "

yes theres quite a lot they dont know, only had to listen to dr hilary at 630am this morning ...

By *iercedyvonneTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

Of course it is a good idea to test for antibodies first but given the various governments are struggling even to get the vaccine out, adding the cost and logistics of doing an antibody test then waiting for that and recalling those without antibodies to get the vaccine makes it impractical.

I also think the 1 in 10 is underestimated. Other studies have shown a higher amount. Every study is different but I think 1 in 5 is more like it. Over 5% have actually been tested positive so given the numbers asymptomatic or just not being tested if they have symptoms, 1 in 10 seems low but telling the population that 20% are somewhat immune might give a false sense of security and lead to a rise in cases.

Our governments are being economical with the truth and using public health as an excuse.

westerham

Those pesky scientists eh

yes theres quite a lot they dont know, only had to listen to dr hilary at 630am this morning ... "

It's normally a sign of high intelligence to know what you don't know.

Although not in my case however cause I'm a bit of a know it all.

westerham

"Of course it is a good idea to test for antibodies first but given the various governments are struggling even to get the vaccine out, adding the cost and logistics of doing an antibody test then waiting for that and recalling those without antibodies to get the vaccine makes it impractical.

I also think the 1 in 10 is underestimated. Other studies have shown a higher amount. Every study is different but I think 1 in 5 is more like it. Over 5% have actually been tested positive so given the numbers asymptomatic or just not being tested if they have symptoms, 1 in 10 seems low but telling the population that 20% are somewhat immune might give a false sense of security and lead to a rise in cases.

Our governments are being economical with the truth and using public health as an excuse."

Im the first to agree that the government has been rubbish also that testing first rather than just dolling the vaccine out would be silly, BUT

The government has got to be careful what info it gives out, the dangers of public complacency are obvious. The vaccine won't stop the spread, people are bound to lower their guard when the death rate comes down.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"

Having antibodies created by being vaccinated and having antibodies created by catching the disease are the same thing. The only difference is that the vaccine might produce a more predictable level of antibodies. Having said that, studies show that you are less likely to catch COVID-19 if you have already had it than if you have been vaccinated.

Leeds

"studies show that you are less likely to catch COVID-19 if you have already had it than if you have been vaccinated."

So why are people who have had it advised to be vaccinated ?

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"studies show that you are less likely to catch COVID-19 if you have already had it than if you have been vaccinated.

So why are people who have had it advised to be vaccinated ?"

All along the government has stuck to the line that you can easily catch it twice despite all the studies to the contrary. If they accept that you can't catch it twice then all the people who have had it will ask why they have to obey the lock down.

l

I’ve been tested twice so far as I’m NHS staff both times negative but good point and trouble is the test results take so long I had to wait 2 weeks

Would it be too sensible to only test for antibodies first? l

I’ve been tested twice so far as I’m NHS staff both times negative but good point and trouble is the test results take so long I had to wait 2 weeks "

I was going to say imagine the fiasco it would create if people were tested first before being given the vaccine. It would take twice as long to do them, not including all the false negatives and false positives.

We have far too much administration in our systems here anyway so please people don't suggest adding any more.

Stat of the day 64% of the workforce in NI are in admin related employment. Those earning the money is about 30% and not all of them are paying taxes.

The vaccine doesn't stop you getting covid or spreading it...it just stops you dying from it

But the only reason they know how long other vaccines last is they have been around longer...plan and simple really...

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

I'm sure the ambulance service would work well without all those admin staff.

Presumably ambulances would just drive round aimlessly hoping to come across someone who was sick.

Or a hospital with no one to order supplies or medicines.

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

"studies show that you are less likely to catch COVID-19 if you have already had it than if you have been vaccinated.

All along the government has stuck to the line that you can easily catch it twice despite all the studies to the contrary. If they accept that you can't catch it twice then all the people who have had it will ask why they have to obey the lock down."

“....... All along the government has stuck to the line that you can easily catch it twice despite all the studies to the contrary.....”

———————————

What studies ? And how long have those studies been going on for, if any ??

Leeds

All along the government has stuck to the line that you can easily catch it twice despite all the studies to the contrary. If they accept that you can't catch it twice then all the people who have had it will ask why they have to obey the lock down."

Plus the over 80s who have had two jabs are still being told to stay locked down

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

[Removed by poster at 20/01/21 23:07:23]

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

"Testing for antibodies would tell whether antibodies are present. If this focussed on those who have had COVID then it would return results as to the long term presence of the antibodies. We seem (haven’t looked much for studies) to be testing the effectiveness of the vaccine in a similar manner.... would it be unwise to test the bodies immune response to a live virus in those who have had it?

With a, potentially clear, map of immune response (if a positive antibody test is found after x months) it should be easier to identify those most at need ie those in higher risk groups who have not had COVID already. We have data from lots of confirmed cases so easily accessed and I’m sure those would welcome the test?

Why would we not want/expect this to happen? "

you can catch it twice, and the new strains have mutated to the point that current anti serum does not neutralise the antigens.

NHS vaccinator here.. no low stocks where iam..

325 being done a day for 3 days for last few wks.. delivery continues.

Gotta love fab facts!!

Glasgow

"NHS vaccinator here.. no low stocks where iam..

Gotta love fab facts!!"

Can you send some over this way please as the SNP seem unable to get them to the over 80s around here. (actual real fact)

Gotta love fab facts!!

Can you send some over this way please as the SNP seem unable to get them to the over 80s around here. (actual real fact)"

Not true..my dad has been called for his vaccination tomorrow morning in central Scotland

Glasgow

Gotta love fab facts!!

Can you send some over this way please as the SNP seem unable to get them to the over 80s around here. (actual real fact)

Not true..my dad has been called for his vaccination tomorrow morning in central Scotland

"

Very true unfortunately. Nearly a week on and she still has no sign of the vaccine whereas I have just learned of a 70 year old getting theirs.

It is a clusterfuck of gargantuan proportions and a massive warning of what lies in store if independence happens.

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

I’m just worried when it comes to second doses there won’t be enough and taking it even later than 12 weeks, which I don’t think it should be anyway

in the sticks

Israel health ministry said they aren't vaccinating those who have had covid as they already have anti bodies, see Andrew Marr on Sunday..

"Israel health ministry said they aren't vaccinating those who have had covid as they already have anti bodies, see Andrew Marr on Sunday.."

Now that sounds like a sensible strategy. Beats our vaccine number game.

» Add a new message to this topic