FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > quarantine hotels

quarantine hotels

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

just heard about this being discussed on radio 5..for those incoming flights

do you think its a good idea the presenter asked

yes yes yes and should've been in place last March

d

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes it makes sense,

I'm not sure because it feels like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I think having tests and self isolation is sufficient for most countries.

If a country doesn't have the virus under any kind of control or has a new variant then I think it would be a good idea.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I'm not sure because it feels like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

If a country doesn't have the virus under any kind of control or has a new variant then I think it would be a good idea."

A country like ours?

"I'm not sure because it feels like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

If a country doesn't have the virus under any kind of control or has a new variant then I think it would be a good idea.

A country like ours?"

Yes because we are expected to stay in quarantine hotels in certain parts of the world.

I just think we have had hardly any restrictions on travellers coming in so it just feels a little too late.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes. It's the only way to let people in without a high risk of spreading disease.

Get new sources out, bring it under control here.

"Yes. It's the only way to let people in without a high risk of spreading disease.

Get new sources out, bring it under control here."

My understanding is that it would only be if you were coming in from certain countries.

in Lancashire

A country like ours?

Yes because we are expected to stay in quarantine hotels in certain parts of the world.

I just think we have had hardly any restrictions on travellers coming in so it just feels a little too late."

Agree that it looks like a good idea long overdue, perhaps given the fears over the new variants it may happen because of that although yes probably too late with them too..

Power play by Patel methinks, been sidelined through most of last year and sensing the opportunity..

in Lancashire

"Yes. It's the only way to let people in without a high risk of spreading disease.

My understanding is that it would only be if you were coming in from certain countries.

"

Which is half arsed given the nature as we know of international travel..

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

A country like ours?

I just think we have had hardly any restrictions on travellers coming in so it just feels a little too late."

It would take just one person to enter the country carrying a new variant of covid. That could be devastating.

Should we trust that people will self isolate?

Maybe when cases have reduced, but not now.

If travel is restricted to 'essential' only it will be easy to do spot checks to ensure people are isolating.

Which is half arsed given the nature as we know of international travel.."

Exactly. To be honest most of the measures that have been put in place have been half measures.

Manchester (she/her)

"

Oh ffs

"Maybe when cases have reduced, but not now.

If travel is restricted to 'essential' only it will be easy to do spot checks to ensure people are isolating. "

I saw an article in the paper yesterday saying there are Plans to have travel corridors again by mid Spring so it just all feels so conflicting.

Spain In particular are desperate to have British tourists back.

Oh ffs "

All so they have been talking about this for over a week and nothing has happened so I just feel anything we do will just be too late.

in Lancashire

Which is half arsed given the nature as we know of international travel..

Exactly. To be honest most of the measures that have been put in place have been half measures.

"

we were one of the few countries in the world not too. i still remember screaming at Witty in March when he said it wouldn't make much difference.. yes it fucking did!!!

i think that the worst thing he is ever said and still seething at him for endorsing it.. was almost like he'd been paid off...

how can he be so zealous in other areas but not that

d

Manchester (she/her)

Oh ffs

All so they have been talking about this for over a week and nothing has happened so I just feel anything we do will just be too late."

Look, another catchy slogan that'll cost millions and do nothing!

Quarantine hotels are a good idea ffs. It just needs to be done properly. Get the Covid out, drive it down, vaccinate, reopen

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

We need to do this until a reliable quick test is found, that and vaccines are huge tools we can use, especially if this turns into an endemic

in Lancashire

Oh ffs

All so they have been talking about this for over a week and nothing has happened so I just feel anything we do will just be too late."

I thought it was done and dusted, about to be announced but yet again it's looking like a bit of deflection from what has been simply awful death figures..

Dithering about whether from all or only from high risk countries..

Get a grip Boris..

"We need to do this until a reliable quick test is found, that and vaccines are huge tools we can use, especially if this turns into an endemic "

I think it's a good idea but I just have no faith that it will actually working practice.

There will be almost certainly exemptions and some countries that you don't have to do it from, so as others have said just a PR exercise.

Manchester (she/her)

"We need to do this until a reliable quick test is found, that and vaccines are huge tools we can use, especially if this turns into an endemic

I think it's a good idea but I just have no faith that it will actually working practice.

There will be almost certainly exemptions and some countries that you don't have to do it from, so as others have said just a PR exercise.

"

It's been a huge success in Australia and New Zealand

By *mmixtapeCouple  over a year ago

middle earth

They were implemented from the start in Aus and NZ and proved beneficial. You have to stay in one place until you're past an isolation period, we should have implemented them at the same time

"We need to do this until a reliable quick test is found, that and vaccines are huge tools we can use, especially if this turns into an endemic

It's been a huge success in Australia and New Zealand"

Yes because they did it early enough and properly.

As far as I am aware though I could be wrong there aren't any exemptions.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"

It agreee and it will be until a new strain that doesn't respond to the vaccines comes in the country, then watch them panic

Manchester (she/her)

It's been a huge success in Australia and New Zealand

Yes because they did it early enough and properly.

As far as I am aware though I could be wrong there aren't any exemptions."

Indeed not. And flights in are heavily restricted. There are still stranded Australians waiting to come home.

It agreee and it will be until a new strain that doesn't respond to the vaccines comes in the country, then watch them panic "

Even when they knew about South African and Brazilian variant It took several days for them to Ban flights. Like I said good in theory.

Manchester (she/her)

It agreee and it will be until a new strain that doesn't respond to the vaccines comes in the country, then watch them panic "

And blame everyone but themselves

Manchester (she/her)

It agreee and it will be until a new strain that doesn't respond to the vaccines comes in the country, then watch them panic

Even when they knew about South African and Brazilian variant It took several days for them to Ban flights. Like I said good in theory. "

Funny how "Kent variant" is overreacting and (according to some who talk about the China virus) racist, while SA and Brazil are the worst ever

better late than never

Manchester (she/her)

"better late than never "

Agreed. But they still have to do it properly.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"just heard about this being discussed on radio 5..for those incoming flights

d"

Yes should have been done months ago and army on the door so they cannot go out at all

there are still massive queues at Heathrow apparently

its just strange we are talking about groups playing in the snow, I've got the friend who has barely left the house since March and people are still traveling internationally in cramped airports and planes

d

If they are going to do it with international arrivals they need to do it with people they track and trace too. Lock them up in quarantine camps.

er no cos we can't control what other countries do.. so that's why you hold people at the borders particularly when new strains are developing in other parts of the world

d

"er no cos we can't control what other countries do.. so that's why you hold people at the borders particularly when new strains are developing in other parts of the world

d"

What about the new strains that mutated here?

that's why London was closed down after being relatively free of measures for months

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I’d agree if they do it to all those job titles exempt from quarantine too or else what is the point, they are supposedly the only ones travelling at the moment

the crowds at Heathrow would seem to differ.. People are travelling

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It would have been right and made a big difference when people were coming in and were seeding pockets of the virus around the UK in March 2020.

Our focus is better put on what we're doing inside the country now. It couldn't be much worse here and we've still got to get even the basics right.

Test before flying and on entry should be done.

i still want Witty to explain again himself.. why it wasn't done in March.. will never ever believe what he said.. i think it was a Government line not his.. its the only explanation

d

"the crowds at Heathrow would seem to differ.. People are travelling "

It's very odd. I wonder if it's a bottle neck from not enough staff. I've been in a few different airports in the last few weeks and there were no crushes of people like shown in those pics.

Haven't been in Heathrow though.

well Heathrow is the busiest airport in the world

can i ask what you were doing at the airport? Travelling domestically? on the day before lockdown i went to a jobs fair at Manchester Airport for airport security... thoughts i was going to be checking people's temperatures.. the whole training scheme was stopped

d

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"the crowds at Heathrow would seem to differ.. People are travelling

It's very odd. I wonder if it's a bottle neck from not enough staff. I've been in a few different airports in the last few weeks and there were no crushes of people like shown in those pics.

Haven't been in Heathrow though. "

I expect the airport is quiet most of the time and then you get two big aircraft arrive at the same time and the one queue of the day appears in all their social media posts.

oh yes im sure it is... not staying at home is it tho im sure some people in the pictures will be trying to get home. Wherever that is for us all

d

It was suggested on here by a few last March and they were laughed at and pissed upon in the forums.

Wonder how many would be willing to appologise to those people now?

Theses things being suggested now that maybe the majority will come round to say in 6 months or so too.

I sometimes wish behaviour would change with opinions.

Tonbridge

"It was suggested on here by a few last March and they were laughed at and pissed upon in the forums.

Theses things being suggested now that maybe the majority will come round to say in 6 months or so too.

I sometimes wish behaviour would change with opinions."

so you're saying the borders should have been closed tight since March even for lorry drivers so that we would be in New Zealand's position now.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

The quarantine hotels in Australia cost £1700 per person. An expensive addition to a holiday.

Manchester (she/her)

"The quarantine hotels in Australia cost £1700 per person. An expensive addition to a holiday. "

Well, you can only leave Australia with permission at the moment. It's not like Aussies are flitting around the world.

"It was suggested on here by a few last March and they were laughed at and pissed upon in the forums.

so you're saying the borders should have been closed tight since March even for lorry drivers so that we would be in New Zealand's position now."

if not closed.. strictly monitored. not even a temperature check. we were about to start using them gauges in Manchester theatres just when lockdown happened

d

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

The travel industry are up in arms as its likely to put a lot of people off travelling if they then have to pay for a 10 day stay in the lockdown hotel when they return.

Apparently in Aus they are escorted by a member of the armed forces when they go out to exercise.

Manchester (she/her)

so you're saying the borders should have been closed tight since March even for lorry drivers so that we would be in New Zealand's position now.

if not closed.. strictly monitored. not even a temperature check. we were about to start using them gauges in Manchester theatres just when lockdown happened

d"

Compulsory quarantine for entry and high biosecurity measures (only allowed in certain areas to drop off/ pick up goods, with enhanced PPE for UK workers) for import and export. That would work.

"The travel industry are up in arms as its likely to put a lot of people off travelling if they then have to pay for a 10 day stay in the lockdown hotel when they return.

Apparently in Aus they are escorted by a member of the armed forces when they go out to exercise."

they can do this more easily to be fair as our airports are more likely busier traffic hubs than theirs

d

Let's just hope if they do it, it's from every country and its room quarantine with meals in the room like other countries do it.

Manchester (she/her)

"The travel industry are up in arms as its likely to put a lot of people off travelling if they then have to pay for a 10 day stay in the lockdown hotel when they return.

Apparently in Aus they are escorted by a member of the armed forces when they go out to exercise.

they can do this more easily to be fair as our airports are more likely busier traffic hubs than theirs

d"

I'm not sure that hotel quarantine is just at airports. Plus you limit the numbers returning - the Australian waiting list is months.

And honestly at this point I'm sick of excuses. If Australia can do it, so can the UK. Period.

Central

"Let's just hope if they do it, it's from every country and its room quarantine with meals in the room like other countries do it."

I insist on a suite, with a balcony

"Let's just hope if they do it, it's from every country and its room quarantine with meals in the room like other countries do it.

I insist on a suite, with a balcony "

As a smoker so would I

Manchester (she/her)

"Let's just hope if they do it, it's from every country and its room quarantine with meals in the room like other countries do it.

By *ovelybumCouple  over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

With a beach view

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

Too little too late... In Hong Kong you had to have a covid test when you arrived and weren't allowed to leave the departure area until you had a negative result, followed by 2 weeks isolation with a GPS tag to insure compliance. Then for certain countries, UK included, it went to 3 weeks in isolation in a hotel room, not wondering around the hotel, the room only, all meals by room service only. Apparently the hotels being used are the ones who have contacts within the local government, so lots of smaller low quality hotels open and offering the service, whilst the nicer hotels remain closed, not a popular choice.

When China goes into lock down, you will not leave or enter a town or city without being stopped and questions being asked.

They don't rely on the good will of the population to comply, they enforce compliance.

I'm guessing quite a lot of the people driving around the UK since the start of the most recent lock down would be doing a swift u-turn if they knew there was a police road block and a £200 ahead.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"

So those who can afford to route via another country could avoid it.

d"

This was in place on 1st march, but, and this may sound contravertional, but places were immediately filled by people not using the correct immigration system. To be honest, I have no problems with any one, as long as the required systems are followed

By *ecretpassion100Couple  over a year ago

Walsall

We booked to go away before covid was even heard of ... traveled when corridor in place no pcr test and no isolation along with no uk lockdown

...so traveled legitimately throughout at beginning of November...still here 3 months later after 4 cancelled flights back to the UK...yes we knew we were taking certain risks so not moaning about it what so ever ...we feel safer here and adhere to all the local rules regulations and curfews..so to then spend 2 weeks in a hotel on return is too much ....many in the same position can not then afford two weeks in a hotel for isolation and especially from a low risk country too ...tag us all to prove we are self isolated at home but to keep us prisoner and make us pay for it ....some in the uk are not staying at home but nothings been done about that

Just my opinion we all entitled to have one x

By *he James gangCouple  over a year ago

NEWTOWNABBEY

Quarrentine in a hotel, full of fabbers, yes please!

Central

I'd like to know how many of those entering presently ever test positive. If we had evidence to back up our decisions, it would be the right thing to do. Presently you can release from quarantine after 5 days with a negative test result.

Perhaps test on arrival and at 5 days and 10 days, with any positive results needing the additional extra quarantine time.

I'm uncomfortable outsourcing so much business to the private sector, often because we have cut investment in public services. £22 billions on track and trace. Insufficient border force support staff and more. Much of this could be better spent on service investment. We had months to plan for the autumn and winter spike and did nothing.

Manchester (she/her)

How would we keep new virus out without enforced quarantine?

Yes, we have enough of a problem of our own, but assuming that it can be driven down, allowing the pretty please quarantine from some countries sometimes clearly hasn't worked.

If you travel during a global pandemic you take your chances with quarantine being imposed. Period.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

no problem with it here

currently in a hostel and we are all in voluntary self isolation because we don't want it in the building. Otherwise its the street for us and this place may then have to close, then we're truly buggered!

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

d"

agree with you

I agree totally. Self isolation doesn't work. Hotel quarantine definitely albeit a bit late

Manchester (she/her)

"I'd like to know how many of those entering presently ever test positive. If we had evidence to back up our decisions, it would be the right thing to do. Presently you can release from quarantine after 5 days with a negative test result.

Perhaps test on arrival and at 5 days and 10 days, with any positive results needing the additional extra quarantine time.

I'm uncomfortable outsourcing so much business to the private sector, often because we have cut investment in public services. £22 billions on track and trace. Insufficient border force support staff and more. Much of this could be better spent on service investment. We had months to plan for the autumn and winter spike and did nothing. "

Lessons from Australia indicate that private security should not be the guards. Army works better.

I see using hotels as the lesser of two evils tbh, in this specific situation.

Walsall

The rapid spread of the virus isn't all from people entering the country...its from people not staying at home unless absolutely necessary and from people carrying out there business which is within the rules and regulations...new strains can mutate anytime and anywhere ... if your getting tested before travel each way then your negative why then have to pay more to isolate...why not isolate at home like everyone else can ...what measures are put in place to make sure your only going out if absolutely necessary there...

Fines by police when it's too late because the mixing has already took place ...dont just persecute the travellers put curfews in place like they have in Spain

i think last year it was pointless... as people say closing the door after the horse has bolted ... the virus was already here, was already spreading and our only plan was as close to full lockdown as we would ever get (and we had much better compliance back then) so quarantining in a hotel or your house really was much of a much

the situation is different now ... we have a vaccine and therefore a plan out of lockdown (even if we don’t have dates yet) and a new strain coming in that is resistant to the vaccine could put us back to stage 1 so we have gained some ground that we have the potential to lose ... we have to protect that

compliance and strictness of current lockdowns ate lower than last year so segregation in hotels to ensure compliance makes sense now

but unless its for all entries at all entry points (including uk citizens, the channel tunnel, airports, ports and including freight drivers) then we might aswel not even bother

Manchester (she/her)

"The rapid spread of the virus isn't all from people entering the country...its from people not staying at home unless absolutely necessary and from people carrying out there business which is within the rules and regulations...new strains can mutate anytime and anywhere ... if your getting tested before travel each way then your negative why then have to pay more to isolate...why not isolate at home like everyone else can ...what measures are put in place to make sure your only going out if absolutely necessary there...

Fines by police when it's too late because the mixing has already took place ...dont just persecute the travellers put curfews in place like they have in Spain "

If you travel you might be bringing a new strain in. And you might not test positive for a few days. Which is the point of quarantine.

I agree stuff needs to be tightened here, but when quarantine can't be enforced by asking nicely (and it's failed), you tighten up.

If you think this is persecution you've lived a sheltered life.

Walsall

The quarantine isn't being enforced anywhere by simply asking nicely so yes tighten up the measures because people can't be trusted but everywhere not just travellers...the rapid spread at the moment hasn't all come from travelling...I for one will not leave until I've isolated for the full amount of time but should be allowed to do it from my own home like everyone else....do checks and if caught not obeying then enforce ...that's how brits are being treated for disobeying the rules now ...

"The quarantine isn't being enforced anywhere by simply asking nicely so yes tighten up the measures because people can't be trusted but everywhere not just travellers...the rapid spread at the moment hasn't all come from travelling...I for one will not leave until I've isolated for the full amount of time but should be allowed to do it from my own home like everyone else....do checks and if caught not obeying then enforce ...that's how brits are being treated for disobeying the rules now ..."

travel from a foreign country is an additional choice, risk and privilege on top of just happening to be in britain ...its entirely reasonable for it to come with stricter criteria

Manchester (she/her)

I think we're long past the point of taking chances by asking people to voluntarily quarantine.

I'm well aware the UK has its own problems internally, but we *also* need to contain spread of variants from outside.

I'm not opposed to additional measures in the UK. It won't change my life and it might bring things under control. But that's not the question.

Manchester (she/her)

"The quarantine isn't being enforced anywhere by simply asking nicely so yes tighten up the measures because people can't be trusted but everywhere not just travellers...the rapid spread at the moment hasn't all come from travelling...I for one will not leave until I've isolated for the full amount of time but should be allowed to do it from my own home like everyone else....do checks and if caught not obeying then enforce ...that's how brits are being treated for disobeying the rules now ...

travel from a foreign country is an additional choice, risk and privilege on top of just happening to be in britain ...its entirely reasonable for it to come with stricter criteria "

Yes. Travelling during a pandemic: it comes with risks and things might change. That's not a surprise.

"travel from a foreign country is an additional choice, risk and privilege on top of just happening to be in britain ...its entirely reasonable for it to come with stricter criteria "

This.

Manchester (she/her)

Do we have Brits arguing that it's wrong to protect the UK from an outside biosecurity threat, because it's not their fault they went on holiday?

I mean honestly.

"travel from a foreign country is an additional choice, risk and privilege on top of just happening to be in britain ...its entirely reasonable for it to come with stricter criteria

This."

and i say this as someone who travelled when we were allowed and it came with covid tests in the way out and quarantine on the way back ... if i wasn’t happy to or able to comply with the requirements put in place then i wouldn’t have gotten on the flight and i was also aware and prepared for the fact while i was gone if things changed(like flights stopped) the onus was on me to deal with the consequences

chances are even if they make international travel allowable again i wont travel this year while hotel quarantine is in place because its just one inconvenience too far to make it worth it for me ... everyone has that choice before boarding a flight though

Walsall

Not saying that I'm saying your trusting the whole of the uk to stay at home during lockdown yet us brits that are travelling to UK are the only ones thst can not be trusted to isolate?

Manchester (she/her)

"travel from a foreign country is an additional choice, risk and privilege on top of just happening to be in britain ...its entirely reasonable for it to come with stricter criteria

This.

and i say this as someone who travelled when we were allowed and it came with covid tests in the way out and quarantine on the way back ... if i wasn’t happy to or able to comply with the requirements put in place then i wouldn’t have gotten on the flight and i was also aware and prepared for the fact while i was gone if things changed(like flights stopped) the onus was on me to deal with the consequences

chances are even if they make international travel allowable again i wont travel this year while hotel quarantine is in place because its just one inconvenience too far to make it worth it for me ... everyone has that choice before boarding a flight though "

I say it as someone who nearly lost a close relative last year and would have had to miss the funeral if they had died.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

I'm due to travel back to the UK on Friday.

Nothing official so far.

Manchester (she/her)

"Not saying that I'm saying your trusting the whole of the uk to stay at home during lockdown yet us brits that are travelling to UK are the only ones thst can not be trusted to isolate?"

No, I'm saying that quarantine has been proven to fail when it's voluntary. I didn't say that Brits don't break lockdown. In fact I said I'd support tougher measures in the UK.

You chose to travel during a pandemic. The measures the government uses to protect the people living here: too bad. You made your choice.

Walsall

This.

chances are even if they make international travel allowable again i wont travel this year while hotel quarantine is in place because its just one inconvenience too far to make it worth it for me ... everyone has that choice before boarding a flight though "

Yes the same as us and we knew we were taking risks we havnt moaned that we struggling to get back to the UK because flights cancelled or getting tests or isolating we knew the risks and all those were introduced after we flew here but a possible £1500 or how ever much they decide to charge to basically become a prisoner I feel is a little too much ....I'm not saying I won't isolate but in my own home where I can cook my own food eat what I want and smoke when I want..they going from isolate 10 days but leave after 5 if taken a second test so why try enforce 14 to 24 days at huge costs

Manchester (she/her)

Those who've gone before you and haven't isolated may have taken the choice from you.

That's tough luck.

This.

chances are even if they make international travel allowable again i wont travel this year while hotel quarantine is in place because its just one inconvenience too far to make it worth it for me ... everyone has that choice before boarding a flight though

Yes the same as us and we knew we were taking risks we havnt moaned that we struggling to get back to the UK because flights cancelled or getting tests or isolating we knew the risks and all those were introduced after we flew here but a possible £1500 or how ever much they decide to charge to basically become a prisoner I feel is a little too much ....I'm not saying I won't isolate but in my own home where I can cook my own food eat what I want and smoke when I want..they going from isolate 10 days but leave after 5 if taken a second test so why try enforce 14 to 24 days at huge costs "

because thats the decision they are entitled to take and its tough luck unfortunately

if it comes in it will come with notice , the fact its even being heavily discussed on the news now is notice ... if you don’t want to do it come home before it is implemented ... you might have had flights cancelled but also seem quite happy to stay where you are with the better weather and additional freedoms it allows you (which is not a criticism i completely understand) but there have been flights coning into the uk from the canaries , even if via spain ... a little research would br all it would take to find out which companies ate actually running their flights and how often ... doesn’t take much ti get on standby either and a space on the first available flight when it comes up ... if you wanted to be home by now you would be... again not a criticism to stay - i would have done the same , but if that extended stay means you now have to deal with an additional condition on return it really is just tough luck

Walsall

So the spread is due to all travellers not isolating upon return

Not the illegal raves parties non essential shopping ...what's being done about that ....the odd fine if you get caught?

"well Heathrow is the busiest airport in the world

can i ask what you were doing at the airport? Travelling domestically? on the day before lockdown i went to a jobs fair at Manchester Airport for airport security... thoughts i was going to be checking people's temperatures.. the whole training scheme was stopped

d"

Travelling internationally. Negative PCR test required or people weren't allowed to board the plane.

Manchester (she/her)

"So the spread is due to all travellers not isolating upon return

Not the illegal raves parties non essential shopping ...what's being done about that ....the odd fine if you get caught? "

Let me repeat for the third or fourth time.

We have problems with non compliance and inadequate infection control in the UK. Naughty naughty UK residents. Bad!

Does that mean you should be allowed to isolate on your own, given how well that's gone before? Nope. You're a different kind of risk. And you made your choice, knowing the situation is volatile. So you'll have to live with whatever comes.

Walsall

We had many flights cancelled and we do currently have a flight booked the next first one back ...we have done research and there are many the same as us been here 3 months with cancelled flights but its not as easy as jumping on the next flight before its imposed as flights are cancelled everyday and even less in March..we are trying

Not the illegal raves parties non essential shopping ...what's being done about that ....the odd fine if you get caught? "

the difference is an airport is secure entry point.. much easier to enforce there.. therefore more effective

"The rapid spread of the virus isn't all from people entering the country...its from people not staying at home unless absolutely necessary and from people carrying out there business which is within the rules and regulations...new strains can mutate anytime and anywhere ... if your getting tested before travel each way then your negative why then have to pay more to isolate...why not isolate at home like everyone else can ...what measures are put in place to make sure your only going out if absolutely necessary there...

Fines by police when it's too late because the mixing has already took place ...dont just persecute the travellers put curfews in place like they have in Spain "

I also agree with tagging people to check they isolate on return. In their own homes/ location they state on the passenger locator form.

Manchester (she/her)

"We had many flights cancelled and we do currently have a flight booked the next first one back ...we have done research and there are many the same as us been here 3 months with cancelled flights but its not as easy as jumping on the next flight before its imposed as flights are cancelled everyday and even less in March..we are trying "

So you travelled in February last year?

Even if you did... There are Australians waiting in a queue to get back to Australia, where they pay for their hotel army quarantine. It's how Australia are mostly keeping the virus out.

Manchester (she/her)

Not the illegal raves parties non essential shopping ...what's being done about that ....the odd fine if you get caught?

the difference is an airport is secure entry point.. much easier to enforce there.. therefore more effective "

And it's a bit "yes I broke the vase but Billy swore, so you can't punish me"

You better believe I can.

Walsall

Agree risks were took as no one knew how things would go and it changes daily ...3 months is a long time and alot of changes have happened in that time ...I just feel there are other measures can be thought of and other routes to take that's all ...we all have our own opinions ...

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Try fly to Australia and see what happens when you arrive there, 2 weeks in a hotel quarantine paid for by yourself

There’s a reason why countries like that get a handle on things better than other countries.

If you decide to travel in the middle of a pandemic then don’t moan when rules change

Manchester (she/her)

"Try fly to Australia and see what happens when you arrive there, 2 weeks in a hotel quarantine paid for by yourself

There’s a reason why countries like that get a handle on things better than other countries.

If you decide to travel in the middle of a pandemic then don’t moan when rules change "

1. You need approval to get in. You almost certainly won't get it.

2. The queue is months.

3. Arguing with the army won't go well

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

This should have been done at the start... my brother is in Australia and living basically covid restrictions free... as they being an island nation ( like we are) and they early on closed their borders and still have ridiculously strict border controls.

Manchester (she/her)

"Agree risks were took as no one knew how things would go and it changes daily ...3 months is a long time and alot of changes have happened in that time ...I just feel there are other measures can be thought of and other routes to take that's all ...we all have our own opinions ..."

And my opinion is that the options have been exhausted and, with the rise of new variants with additional risks, compulsory quarantine is long past overdue.

Manchester (she/her)

"This should have been done at the start... my brother is in Australia and living basically covid restrictions free... as they being an island nation ( like we are) and they early on closed their borders and still have ridiculously strict border controls.

"

Yes. An island nation with a very similar culture, with (in population centres) a similar population density to the UK. Some parts have seen no community transmission since April.

My grandparents go shopping on their own without masks and I'm not afraid for them.

Walsall

As said not moaning it's a forum where we all are entitled to opinions

I'd be quite happy not to come back at all lol but end of the day got to be realistic but then I think measures enforced should be realistic too

"We had many flights cancelled and we do currently have a flight booked the next first one back ...we have done research and there are many the same as us been here 3 months with cancelled flights but its not as easy as jumping on the next flight before its imposed as flights are cancelled everyday and even less in March..we are trying "

wizz air fly at least once per week from tenerife to london (these flights resumed in april 2020) and the same from mainland spain .., i would assume its the same from gran canaria but even if not there are internal spanish flights between those locations

again i dont disagree with the much easier choice to stay out in the sun where there are more freedoms than the uk (in your position i would have done the same) but suggesting its not been possible to get home is just not true, its purely a case of suffering the consequences of your own choices

Manchester (she/her)

"As said not moaning it's a forum where we all are entitled to opinions

I'd be quite happy not to come back at all lol but end of the day got to be realistic but then I think measures enforced should be realistic too"

Quarantine has been an effective method of infection control for centuries.

Walsall

Was £890 for us both to go here to Madrid then Madrid to Amsterdam then the uk

Flights always changing

We've had this flight booked a while now so we are on a flight back

Walsall

I'd be quite happy not to come back at all lol but end of the day got to be realistic but then I think measures enforced should be realistic too

Quarantine has been an effective method of infection control for centuries."

I'm not against quarantine or self isolation at all but trying to charge £1000 /£2000 whatever it will cost is what I'm against

Manchester (she/her)

Quarantine has been an effective method of infection control for centuries.

I'm not against quarantine or self isolation at all but trying to charge £1000 /£2000 whatever it will cost is what I'm against

"

Why? Why should the UK pay for your choice?

Walsall

I didn't choose to self isolate in a hotel for 14 days either when I'm quite prepared to do it from home

Manchester (she/her)

"I didn't choose to self isolate in a hotel for 14 days either when I'm quite prepared to do it from home"

You chose to travel during a pandemic.

Means you can't predict what will happen.

Those coming back have proven they can't be trusted to self isolate. The government have proven they don't adequately enforce.

So... pandemic. Stuff changed. Too bad, so sad, hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Walsall

There's no need to get so sarcastic

I am enjoying being here thank you yes

Are you telling me that they can't quarantine you in a hotel 2 weeks for less than say 100 a night or less if you get retested or tag you ...

Manchester (she/her)

"There's no need to get so sarcastic

Are you telling me that they can't quarantine you in a hotel 2 weeks for less than say 100 a night or less if you get retested or tag you ...

"

Army guards and food cost money too.

I don't care how much they charge. I care that it's done and the infection risk from those travelling at a time like this is reduced to near zero.

I don't care how much they charge. I care that it's done and the infection risk from those travelling at a time like this is reduced to near zero."

Presumably you are aware that people in the UK are testing postive in their thousands every single day. A few people returning home from abroad are not the risk here.

Walsall

I totally agree the spread needs to stop from travellers and from people in the uk not adering to the lockdown too I'm not disputing that at all

As say entitled to my opinion as are you

Manchester (she/her)

I don't care how much they charge. I care that it's done and the infection risk from those travelling at a time like this is reduced to near zero.

Presumably you are aware that people in the UK are testing postive in their thousands every single day. A few people returning home from abroad are not the risk here."

All risk is risk.

People flying back may bring a new variant and cause additional problems.

And making all entrants go through quarantine (or enhanced biosecurity for trade) will mean we have no imported virus on top of the issue we already have. It's the only way to stamp it out.

Walsall

Presumably you are aware that people in the UK are testing postive in their thousands every single day. A few people returning home from abroad are not the risk here."

That has been exactly my point

Manchester (she/her)

"I totally agree the spread needs to stop from travellers and from people in the uk not adering to the lockdown too I'm not disputing that at all

As say entitled to my opinion as are you "

I didn't say you weren't entitled to your opinion.

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

Yes it is a good idea if you want or need to come into the UK you should have to pay to isolate in a hotel, Some other countries are doing this ?

Walsall

Returning travellers not allowed in without a negative test anyway ...you don't get tested everytime you go out...I think just going out when you might have it with no symptoms is a bigger risk and higher mortality then the returning travellers

Presumably you are aware that people in the UK are testing postive in their thousands every single day. A few people returning home from abroad are not the risk here.

Returning travellers not allowed in without a negative test anyway ...you don't get tested everytime you go out...I think just going out when you might have it with no symptoms is a bigger risk and higher mortality then the returning travellers "

I agree. Negative PCR tests are required or people can't even get on the plane.

I think if the infection rates go down massively then it would be a good idea. But at the moment it's pointless.

Who paying for it?

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Who paying for it?"

The traveller will be

All risk is risk.

People flying back may bring a new variant and cause additional problems.

And making all entrants go through quarantine (or enhanced biosecurity for trade) will mean we have no imported virus on top of the issue we already have. It's the only way to stamp it out."

I do agree with enforcing the 10 day isolation period. I just don't think quarantine hotels are right at the moment. Maybe in a few months.

Falkirk

Returning travellers not allowed in without a negative test anyway ...you don't get tested everytime you go out...I think just going out when you might have it with no symptoms is a bigger risk and higher mortality then the returning travellers "

Probably, but easier to blame those travelling back to the UK, than control the masses already breaking the rules.

Tonbridge

People seem to forget the chaos that ensued in the days before Christmas when France totally closed the border. Australia can close the board because all their freight arrives unaccompanied, that's not the case with the UK.

Returning travellers not allowed in without a negative test anyway ...you don't get tested everytime you go out...I think just going out when you might have it with no symptoms is a bigger risk and higher mortality then the returning travellers

Probably, but easier to blame those travelling back to the UK, than control the masses already breaking the rules.

"

it ee could treat them not as mutually exclusive issues and combat them both

"People seem to forget the chaos that ensued in the days before Christmas when France totally closed the border. Australia can close the board because all their freight arrives unaccompanied, that's not the case with the UK."

surely thats in our gift to change though? not immediately but can we not progress towards unaccompanied freight both inbound and outbound?

(not sure if there is some brexit agreement that says no)

Manchester (she/her)

it ee could treat them not as mutually exclusive issues and combat them both"

Which is what I've said all along.

Two threats. New variants being found which are increasingly transmissible, it would seem. We need to keep them out.

Our own infection issue and variant. We need to drive it down.

Not pick on travellers instead of residents. Target everyone. Including those coming in for trade (with enhanced biosecurity measures rather than quarantine).

"I'm due to travel back to the UK on Friday.

Nothing official so far. "

Well let's all hope you will do the right thing and help save lives.

Thats all anyone can ask of a responsible person don't you think

Why not just shoot everybody trying to get in to the country? Saves all the arguing about isolating and what if someone comes back with a new new strain that doesn't even show up for a month or longer?

"Why not just shoot everybody trying to get in to the country? Saves all the arguing about isolating and what if someone comes back with a new new strain that doesn't even show up for a month or longer? "

Typical idiots answer

Manchester (she/her)

"Why not just shoot everybody trying to get in to the country? Saves all the arguing about isolating and what if someone comes back with a new new strain that doesn't even show up for a month or longer? "

Well, if you put it like that, staying in a hotel under guard is luxury by comparison. I'm glad we agree

By *ouble CCouple  over a year ago

Gran Canaria

I don't get the Australia comparison.

Australia is not riddled with Covid-19 and enforcing hotel quarantine on people coming from countries that have hardly any Covid-19.

When you arrive from a country that strictly enforces covid rules with huge penalties (that you actually have to pay), it is so wierd to return to the UK and see people behaving as if Covid-19 doesn't even exist. Walking around without masks, not social distancing etc.

I'd say quarantine when you get back to the UK. Not so much to protect the local population from you, but to protect you from the local population.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Try fly to Australia and see what happens when you arrive there, 2 weeks in a hotel quarantine paid for by yourself

If you decide to travel in the middle of a pandemic then don’t moan when rules change "

You will see it’s the tourism bodies and the planes operators who are against this as it basically kills their trade.... but if you are looking to travel at times like this and it’s not a family emergency then you are bonkers

Australia has a natural advantage where there is now real way in or out other than planes... if you are going to do that here then not only does it need to cover planes, but how do you police ferry traffic and channel tunnel/Eurostar travel?

Walsall

I don't care how much they charge. I care that it's done and the infection risk from those travelling at a time like this is reduced to near zero."

£25 a room a night plus £100 for food is under £500 more reasonable than the figures being quoted ...I could eat for that over 2 weeks and get a room for thst per night

We don't want 5 star food or to hire a whole battalion of soldiers...one of my opinions is more to do with forcing people to pay huge amounts to isolate

And yes think we all agree it's got to be tackled not just by the travelers but the thousands not complying the rules already

Gran Canaria

If you decide to travel in the middle of a pandemic then don’t moan when rules change

You will see it’s the tourism bodies and the planes operators who are against this as it basically kills their trade.... but if you are looking to travel at times like this and it’s not a family emergency then you are bonkers

Australia has a natural advantage where there is now real way in or out other than planes... if you are going to do that here then not only does it need to cover planes, but how do you police ferry traffic and channel tunnel/Eurostar travel?

"

I can tell what was bonkers. Not delaying Brexit for 6 months because of Covid-19.

Because for those people wanting to settle in Europe and maintain their rights they HAD to move in the middle of a pandemic which FORCED them to travel.

But then our government has had most of it's attention on Brexit with this pandemic playing second fiddle. And lo. 3rd highest death rate per capita last time I checked...

Gran Canaria

£25 a room a night plus £100 for food is under £500 more reasonable than the figures being quoted ...I could eat for that over 2 weeks and get a room for thst per night

We don't want 5 star food or to hire a whole battalion of soldiers...one of my opinions is more to do with forcing people to pay huge amounts to isolate

And yes think we all agree it's got to be tackled not just by the travelers but the thousands not complying the rules already "

I don't blame you guys. When you left for here all those months ago, Boris was thumping the podium and saying it would all be over soon. If you can't believe our prime minister who can you trust? Maybe Donald Trump who said it would all be over by Easter 2020?

When you are in GC and can get a PCR test for €30 but the same test costs £120 in the UK it begs the question, are the government genuinely trying to stop a pandemic or is the general public being fleeced because they have a captive market with no alternatives?

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"

Somehow, someone who is friend of a friend high up in government will offer "complete package" for £300 per person, per night. You just know it...

Central

"Do we have Brits arguing that it's wrong to protect the UK from an outside biosecurity threat, because it's not their fault they went on holiday?

I mean honestly."

Sadly, yes we do - many politicians have been arguing this

Falkirk

[Removed by poster at 26/01/21 05:45:08]

Falkirk

"I'm due to travel back to the UK on Friday.

Nothing official so far.

Well let's all hope you will do the right thing and help save lives.

Thats all anyone can ask of a responsible person don't you think"

Why are you automatically assuming I wouldn't?

I'm well aware of the current guidlines and legislation.

By *iveralandssklpMan  over a year ago

Turkey

d"

Very good idea

Its already in place in Turkey and cases are 60% down

"I don't get the Australia comparison.

Australia is not riddled with Covid-19 and enforcing hotel quarantine on people coming from countries that have hardly any Covid-19.

When you arrive from a country that strictly enforces covid rules with huge penalties (that you actually have to pay), it is so wierd to return to the UK and see people behaving as if Covid-19 doesn't even exist. Walking around without masks, not social distancing etc.

I'd say quarantine when you get back to the UK. Not so much to protect the local population from you, but to protect you from the local population. "

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

And yes think we all agree it's got to be tackled not just by the travelers but the thousands not complying the rules already

I don't blame you guys. When you left for here all those months ago, Boris was thumping the podium and saying it would all be over soon. If you can't believe our prime minister who can you trust? Maybe Donald Trump who said it would all be over by Easter 2020?

When you are in GC and can get a PCR test for €30 but the same test costs £120 in the UK it begs the question, are the government genuinely trying to stop a pandemic or is the general public being fleeced because they have a captive market with no alternatives?"

Its going to take a hell of a lot of £120's to refill the coffers with furlough / benefits going out at the moment.

Being fleeced, would say if a trip abroad is oh so important then you should ask yourself why?

Walsall

"I don't get the Australia comparison.

I'd say quarantine when you get back to the UK. Not so much to protect the local population from you, but to protect you from the local population.

"

You have hit the nail straight on the head here my thoughts exactly

Walsall

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: " I think the elephant in the room in this is not the 10,000 or so people who arrive in the UK every day, it is the 30,000 people in the UK already who are asked to quarantine by Test and Trace and are not doing so."Asked whether he supports introducing a universal payment scheme for those called on to stay at home, Mr Hunt said: "Yes, I do. I think it is really simple."We just need to say to people 'This is a public health matter - if you are asked to self-isolate, we will refund any salary loss you have', because one of the main hesitations and concerns people have about self-isolating is the loss of earnings.

Straight from one of the mps ...so travellers will have to pay over 1000 to be locked away in a hotel room yet others get paid 500 to be asked to stay at home and comply...its a shambles

Oh well will see later today I guess

its not been a few since March tho.. its many many thousands.. what happens at transport hubs

Manchester (she/her)

Maybe if we disincentivise travel then people will stop travelling. Which will mean less people bring new germs in.

Maybe this is something we should do even if we also have other problems.

Maybe travelling during a pandemic is a foolish idea.

Walsall

I agree all travel should be banned and checked at airports each and every one as I've known many not been checked why they are travelling and still got on flights during lockdown

That way there will be no need to use hotels to quarantine

As I say we traveled legitimately when it looked like we were coming through the other side with no 2nd or 3rd wave in sight and yes we took the risk and you can't predict the future but people will try get away as soon as they can they are not gonna wait a few years to see if its OK unsure of risks ....but it's a joke to slam travellers with huge costs and then pay out resident brits to stay at home ...God knows if I get a room with no balcony or outdoor space as a smoker do they expect me to quit smoking too ...let's think about our mental health here too

Walsall

"Maybe if we disincentivise travel then people will stop travelling. Which will mean less people bring new germs in.

Maybe travelling during a pandemic is a foolish idea."

Foolish idea ypu say but at what point do you decide its ok when it's so unpredictable and things can take a u turn at any second months years or never take the risk again

Travelling when all restrictions were lifted is less of a risk than ignoring track n trace and going out anyway or keeping your essential shopping to one per household and once a week only ect

These are the ones infecting thousands everyday not us in a country where we don't pay to make sure we stick to the rules...we stick to the rules anyway

Depends how they go about things - I have had to leave London for an important work meeting that could not be done over zoom etc. I’m due back next week.

It now means I’ll have to pay upwards of 1000£, be forced into a hotel instead of getting in my car at Heathrow and driving home. It’s a shame and shambles. I can completely understand the decision but it’s 1) too late for it 2) the logistics will be horrendous 3) over 1000£ for a small room, rubbish food , no cleaning and can’t leave for a walk... seems too much 4) it’ll have the same effect than AUS ... will kill the tourism and aviation industry and further plunge the U.K. into a recession

Manchester (she/her)

"Maybe if we disincentivise travel then people will stop travelling. Which will mean less people bring new germs in.

Foolish idea ypu say but at what point do you decide its ok when it's so unpredictable and things can take a u turn at any second months years or never take the risk again

Travelling when all restrictions were lifted is less of a risk than ignoring track n trace and going out anyway or keeping your essential shopping to one per household and once a week only ect

These are the ones infecting thousands everyday not us in a country where we don't pay to make sure we stick to the rules...we stick to the rules anyway "

... Are you a time traveller?

I've had constant restrictions since March 2020. Even when places were open they had limits.

When is it a good time to travel when things are so uncertain? Never.

Manchester (she/her)

"Depends how they go about things - I have had to leave London for an important work meeting that could not be done over zoom etc. I’m due back next week.

It now means I’ll have to pay upwards of 1000£, be forced into a hotel instead of getting in my car at Heathrow and driving home. It’s a shame and shambles. I can completely understand the decision but it’s 1) too late for it 2) the logistics will be horrendous 3) over 1000£ for a small room, rubbish food , no cleaning and can’t leave for a walk... seems too much 4) it’ll have the same effect than AUS ... will kill the tourism and aviation industry and further plunge the U.K. into a recession "

And Australia has spent how much on Covid restrictions and their economy is obviously in a worse place than ours, right?

Walsall

These are the ones infecting thousands everyday not us in a country where we don't pay to make sure we stick to the rules...we stick to the rules anyway

I've had constant restrictions since March 2020. Even when places were open they had limits.

When is it a good time to travel when things are so uncertain? Never."

Not at all however when there was no lockdown a corridor to canary Island so you didn't have to isolate and the fco didn't advise against travel there I can't see why anyone wouldn't think things were getting better

No one could predict the quick u turn or the mutant strain which may I add was found in the uk and not another country and if that's not the right time to go then when is ....years later ....or when we all get our crystal balls out and polished

Manchester (she/her)

Not at all however when there was no lockdown a corridor to canary Island so you didn't have to isolate and the fco didn't advise against travel there I can't see why anyone wouldn't think things were getting better

No one could predict the quick u turn or the mutant strain which may I add was found in the uk and not another country and if that's not the right time to go then when is ....years later ....or when we all get our crystal balls out and polished "

Plenty of people were saying at the time that travelling during a pandemic is a stupid idea. Plenty of them.

Plenty of people are also aware that these things come in waves and travel exacerbates it.

Plenty of people thought the government stance was moronic.

The strains in the UK in the autumn mostly came from Spain.

I will travel again once I'm vaccinated and there's a level of herd immunity to make it safe. No crystal ball required. When it happens I will go. Before that travelling during a pandemic is foolish.

Oh and by the way I had to wrestle with the possibility of missing the funeral of one of my parents, because travelling during a pandemic is foolish. So, I'm sorry you think this is difficult for you

Walsall

It's not difficult at all I've never said that

It's just one rule for one and another for others but that's politics for you

Manchester (she/her)

"It's not difficult at all I've never said that

It's just one rule for one and another for others but that's politics for you "

Nope.

Anyone who travels has the rules for travellers.

Anyone at home has the rules for those at home.

Enforcement is clearly needed everywhere.

Yours, from someone who leaves home once a week to go to the supermarket, double masked.

Walsall

Yes and with me travelled when it was advised I could

Manchester (she/her)

"Yes and with me travelled when it was advised I could "

And you did so in a clearly volatile situation.

Things have changed.

I could go to the pub in August. Can I kick off because now I can't? Stuff changed

Walsall

Your clearly not getting my point so I'll leave it there

I have better things to be doing now

Enjoy your day

No one could predict the quick u turn or the mutant strain which may I add was found in the uk and not another country and if that's not the right time to go then when is ....years later ....or when we all get our crystal balls out and polished "

the corridor to the canaries didn’t come into effect til at least mid october (i was there late september and was still in my 14 days quarantine during some of october)

you really hand on heart thought we were out the other side of this with no hint of a second wave in october?

i really have no objection to people travelling as safely as possible when it is allowed but for god sake, own your actions and stop pretending this has all happened to you outwith your control ... you had your swallows winter or whatever they call it, you may now have to hotel quarantine when home ... you win some you lose some

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Yes and with me travelled when it was advised I could

Things have changed.

I could go to the pub in August. Can I kick off because now I can't? Stuff changed "

Agreed. We've had a year of unpredictable developments, especially related to travel. I've had stuff cancelled, so have many others... this is the flipside. It's really shitty, and I'm not beyond a rant, but at the end of the day you can do nothing but suck it up and hope the measures in place will make a difference, save some lives, and get things back to some form of normality sooner rather than later.

To be honest I'm surprised this measure wasn't brought in sooner.

Manchester (she/her)

"Yes and with me travelled when it was advised I could

Things have changed.

I could go to the pub in August. Can I kick off because now I can't? Stuff changed

Agreed. We've had a year of unpredictable developments, especially related to travel. I've had stuff cancelled, so have many others... this is the flipside. It's really shitty, and I'm not beyond a rant, but at the end of the day you can do nothing but suck it up and hope the measures in place will make a difference, save some lives, and get things back to some form of normality sooner rather than later.

To be honest I'm surprised this measure wasn't brought in sooner. "

My family cancelled three or four trips and are confining their travel to local area only. My mum hasn't seen her mum since 2019 because she doesn't want to risk her health - and at its peak, the greater metro area my parents lived in had a hotspot of 90/100k cases.

I have no sympathy at all for "I did something entirely optional during an international crisis and it might cost me extra money"

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Maybe travelling during a pandemic is a foolish idea."

Very clearly it is as we aren't allowed to travel more than 5 miles to exercise so surely traveling 1000s of miles for non essential travel would be restricted / disicentivised as you say.

I'm all for defending some govt actions and all for the fact that ultimately it is us who spread the infection. But the lack of a cohesive infection reduction strategy after 12 months... Or 6 months... Or 3 months... Is damaging.

Manchester (she/her)

Very clearly it is as we aren't allowed to travel more than 5 miles to exercise so surely traveling 1000s of miles for non essential travel would be restricted / disicentivised as you say.

I'm all for defending some govt actions and all for the fact that ultimately it is us who spread the infection. But the lack of a cohesive infection reduction strategy after 12 months... Or 6 months... Or 3 months... Is damaging. "

I think they're arguing as that they were allowed to travel in the summer, then they shouldn't be "punished".

One it's not punishment, it's protecting the population from new sources of infection (or new strains).

Two, if I can't socialise normally in a pub (and at no point since last March has this been possible), on what planet is it clever to cram myself in an airborne tube and go to a country where, in the event of a crisis, I might have to ask the government to rescue me? (Normally not high on my list of priorities, although I do usually jot down the details of the nearest consulate before I fly anywhere just in case. Right now - probably a bigger priority)

Tin town

"Your clearly not getting my point so I'll leave it there

Enjoy your day "

I think I get your point. Which if I've understood is the bigger issue is the spreaders at home not isolating when they must do and breaking essential travel guidines, typically shopping or not working from home.

But the point is the options are not do one or the other, the best option at the moment to reduce Infections is surely to take as many options as possible. As for quarantine hotels, I have mixed feelings, if they can be shown to work great. I have my doubts given our inability to implement and enforce any sort of control process... And largely that's on us. We are adults after all.

Manchester (she/her)

Enjoy your day

I think I get your point. Which if I've understood is the bigger issue is the spreaders at home not isolating when they must do and breaking essential travel guidines, typically shopping or not working from home.

But the point is the options are not do one or the other, the best option at the moment to reduce Infections is surely to take as many options as possible. As for quarantine hotels, I have mixed feelings, if they can be shown to work great. I have my doubts given our inability to implement and enforce any sort of control process... And largely that's on us. We are adults after all. "

I understand the point and dismiss it as foolish.

To control the spread we need to contain community transmission and transmission from overseas. We can't just say "community transmission is a clusterfuck, so let's not work on travellers"

It's worked in Australia and New Zealand. They have their lives almost entirely back to normal. The idea that the UK is somehow socially inferior and it can't be done here is asinine.

Gran Canaria

When you are in GC and can get a PCR test for €30 but the same test costs £120 in the UK it begs the question, are the government genuinely trying to stop a pandemic or is the general public being fleeced because they have a captive market with no alternatives?

Its going to take a hell of a lot of £120's to refill the coffers with furlough / benefits going out at the moment.

Being fleeced, would say if a trip abroad is oh so important then you should ask yourself why?"

We emigrated to Gran Canaria and found that travel was an essential part of the process.

Gran Canaria

PS I very much doubt the money being charged for tests that far exceeds the cost of performing such a test finds its way into government coffers. For that, no doubt, Mr Sunak shall be raising corporation tax and dividend tax so that the debt can be repaid by the very people he has steadfastly refused support.

Walsall

Not once have I insuauted asking for the government's help due to being stranded

Nor am I against isolation upon return

My point is the cost to do so ...could be alot cheaper and yet they are looking at PAYING residents to do the same but in comfort of own home

I chose to come away yes they chose not to isolate so they shouldn't be paid they should get fined

I believe my choice was the safest ...many days of no new cases or just over 100 as opposed to over 30 thousand a day

I would be isolating indefinitely to protect myself when I do get back

Manchester (she/her)

"PS I very much doubt the money being charged for tests that far exceeds the cost of performing such a test finds its way into government coffers. For that, no doubt, Mr Sunak shall be raising corporation tax and dividend tax so that the debt can be repaid by the very people he has steadfastly refused support."

I agree that there will be profiteering going on.

I just disagree that the measure is in any way unreasonable, unfair, or disproportionate.

Manchester (she/her)

"Not once have I insuauted asking for the government's help due to being stranded

Nor am I against isolation upon return

My point is the cost to do so ...could be alot cheaper and yet they are looking at PAYING residents to do the same but in comfort of own home

I chose to come away yes they chose not to isolate so they shouldn't be paid they should get fined

I believe my choice was the safest ...many days of no new cases or just over 100 as opposed to over 30 thousand a day

I would be isolating indefinitely to protect myself when I do get back "

If you want someone to blame, blame the many who didn't isolate before you.

I've heard countless stories of "great holiday, got back yesterday. Isolation? Government can't make me lol"

By *torm in a G cupWoman  over a year ago

Land of the Long White Cloud

We use quarantine hotels in NZ. Mandatory testing at day 3 and day 12.

Hotel costs largely paid for by government at huge cost.

It is definitely working to keep covid out of our community and has been since introduced. Limited spaces only is an issue with travellers needing to secure a quarantine hotel slot before can book their flights.

Manchester (she/her)

"We use quarantine hotels in NZ. Mandatory testing at day 3 and day 12.

Hotel costs largely paid for by government at huge cost.

It is definitely working to keep covid out of our community and has been since introduced. Limited spaces only is an issue with travellers needing to secure a quarantine hotel slot before can book their flights.

"

And despite some mishaps, you have mostly normal lives now. Imagine that.

This is what we're arguing against. A return to more or less normality.

Tin town

Being fleeced, would say if a trip abroad is oh so important then you should ask yourself why?

We emigrated to Gran Canaria and found that travel was an essential part of the process."

Go on, make us all jealous... How is it over there... Hot, sunny, outside, blue sky's, dos equus and milk and honey... (says that on the tui ad anyway)

Walsall

Hunting for permanent residency as we speak lol

Cheaper safer option

Gran Canaria

Enjoy your day

But the point is the options are not do one or the other, the best option at the moment to reduce Infections is surely to take as many options as possible. As for quarantine hotels, I have mixed feelings, if they can be shown to work great. I have my doubts given our inability to implement and enforce any sort of control process... And largely that's on us. We are adults after all.

I understand the point and dismiss it as foolish.

To control the spread we need to contain community transmission and transmission from overseas. We can't just say "community transmission is a clusterfuck, so let's not work on travellers"

It's worked in Australia and New Zealand. They have their lives almost entirely back to normal. The idea that the UK is somehow socially inferior and it can't be done here is asinine."

You're absolutely correct. There is a thread from almost a year back where I was suggesting the exact same thing. The responses to that suggestion are on record.

Should new arrivals be quarantined? Sure. Should they have the shirts ripped off their back because they have no other choice? There are words for that like exploitation and profiteering... it's just not moral.

I say let's control this virus, but stop mugging our own people who are having a hard enough time as it is.

The concept that there can be no other reason for travel other than leasure is a false construct put in place (not by you) to justify an argument that holds no water otherwise.