FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > WHO

WHO

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

As predicted.. and according to the Guardian

The World Health Organisation want the UK to stop vaccinating and let more doses to go to the poorer countries.. it's a mess

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Probably better to just let the poorer countries die out then the richer countries will get even richer!

Chelmsford

The countries don't get richer.. the few do..

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Where did you read this? As all I have seen is the EU vaccine issues

Chelmsford

"Where did you read this? As all I have seen is the EU vaccine issues"

The scaremongering Guardian of course..

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Should this not be moved to the Virus department, rather than here?

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Where did you read this? As all I have seen is the EU vaccine issues

The scaremongering Guardian of course.."

I can not see us slowing up our vaccine plans..

Chelmsford

They suggest stopping our vaccine programme to spread it over the world

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 31/01/21 00:19:42]

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"Probably better to just let the poorer countries die out then the richer countries will get even richer! "

If the poorer countries die out bang goes a majority of crop that richer counties use daily plus all the expensive clothes that get made over their like boss and other high brands

Luckily the WHO look after best interests of the world. Better to vaccinate the majority than the minority... Therefore freedom for all is better than freedom for 1.

I'm NHS

Not had 2nd jab...some protection better than none.

Theres no right answer..

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Their remit is the world so can't fault them for arguing this.

It's like if the UK was just focusing on vaccinating London, the rest of the UK would call for distribution across the country.

The WHO is calling for the vulnerable across the world to be the priority.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

And if anyone wants to read the full story here it is:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/30/who-urges-britain-to-pause-covid-jabs-after-treating-vulnerable

Is reported by other news media too

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I’m not surprised as that is part of the covax agreement we signed up to

The goal of COVAX is by the end of 2021 to deliver two billion doses of safe, effective vaccines that have passed regulatory approval and/or WHO prequalification. These vaccines will be offered equally to all participating countries, proportional to their populations, initially prioritising healthcare workers then expanding to cover vulnerable groups, such as the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. Further doses will then be made available based on country need, vulnerability and COVID-19 threat. The COVAX Facility will also maintain a buffer of doses for emergency and humanitarian use, including dealing with severe outbreaks before they spiral out of control.

I read this on Sky News too. From what I have read previously, Britain is going to be supplying at cost price or free vaccines we have developed to poorer countries that cannot afford them. We have X amount of vaccines pre ordered. I am quite sure that our PM is already actively taking steps towards helping poorer countries vaccinate.

I don't think we will delay our vaccine schedule though.

Don’t believe everything you read in the papers. The world has gone mad.

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

The term is vaccine nationalism.

Western countries have bought enough vaccines to vaccinate their entire population 3 to 5 times over.

How many times has it mentioned on the news when discussing a vaccine that the UK has ordered 60million doses.

However this means that the poorer countries get nothing.

Even now, as the UK has vaccinated millions and millions, there are countries still waiting a single dose.

Whilst we work through our priority groups and will be vaccinating relatively fit, younger adults, the frail and vulnerable in other countries will still be very much at risk.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Sounds like a comment that's been taken out of context, typical tabloid journalism.

My question is:

Does anyone think that the poorer countries or any other countries in fact would stop their vaccination programs to help us if tables where turned?

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Maybe we should vaccinate our most elderly and our most vulnerable then give the spare doses to developing nations?

Would people in the least at risk categories actually benefit from being vaccinated?

(Genuine question).

By *extasy19Couple  over a year ago

Northampton

Define "poorer countries'? Nuclear powers such as Pakistan and India, the latter of which has the world's largest generic pharmaceutical industry? Remember that we have the highest apparent death rate in the world and on that basis vaccinating our population should be the highest priority. And many African countries have seen few covid outbreaks, maybe down to climate.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Totally the sort of thing the WHO would say, that's sort of their remit but whilst COVAX is good and the way to address this globally it won't happen yet till nations get themselves sorted..

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"Maybe we should vaccinate our most elderly and our most vulnerable then give the spare doses to developing nations?

"

And that is what the World Health Organisation are suggesting according to the article I posted a link to further up - I don't have a problem with that approach either personally

It seems that we may be getting regular vaccine jabs on an annual basis as the Virus mutates around the World. Without some form of protection the NHS may collapse under the pressure of Covid patients ?

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 31/01/21 09:29:45]

"Sounds like a comment that's been taken out of context, typical tabloid journalism.

My question is:

Does anyone think that the poorer countries or any other countries in fact would stop their vaccination programs to help us if tables where turned?

"

The thing is can we afford to not vaccinate the rest of the world as it will keep mutating in them countries and the vaccines may be rendered useless?

Yeah get use done fast then get the rest of the world done fast too.

Then maybe just maybe we can open up travel again.

Manchester

The most vaccine should go to where the most cases of covid are. What has wealth got to do with anything?

The virus doesn't care how much money the nation has.

More than 60% of infected are in Europe and N America, that is where the most vaccine should, surely?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Maybe we should vaccinate our most elderly and our most vulnerable then give the spare doses to developing nations?

Would people in the least at risk categories actually benefit from being vaccinated?

(Genuine question)."

From a layman's perspective. Yes they would benefit. It seems to me the virus effects some people terribly and others little impact.

I'm all for charity but the fact that countries have not yet ordered any vaccines... Or has not been ordered for them by the WHO... Come on.

I mean the EU haven't yet got their act together so there's no chance of anything getting to other countries for a few months yet. Look at it this way.... On the pre flight briefing about over wing exits and oxygen masks dropping down in the event of cabin failure... They say put your mask on first before attending to others.

Tin town

(Genuine question).

From a layman's perspective. Yes they would benefit. It seems to me the virus effects some people terribly and others little impact.

I'm all for charity but the fact that countries have not yet ordered any vaccines... Or has not been ordered for them by the WHO... Come on.

I mean the EU haven't yet got their act together so there's no chance of anything getting to other countries for a few months yet. Look at it this way.... On the pre flight briefing about over wing exits and oxygen masks dropping down in the event of cabin failure... They say put your mask on first before attending to others. "

A couple of further observations from bmj and bloomberg websites. Israel whilst on course to be the first country to vaccinate its population is not vaccinating palistinians..

If you look at a map of countries currently vaccinating... Its pretty much all in the northern hemisphere.

"The most vaccine should go to where the most cases of covid are. What has wealth got to do with anything?

More than 60% of infected are in Europe and N America, that is where the most vaccine should, surely?"

I seen a arguement last night on tv where a bloke from Oxfam was saying western money financed all the vaccines that are being used.

The oxford is the only one that is not for profit whereas the Pfizer is making 80% profit on each vaccine. The vaccines can only be Manufacturer through the company's that patented them.

He said that there are labs doing bugger all around the world that could be making the vaccines ...and as it's not the drug companies money that funded the development of these that the formula should be just given out to the rest of the world to get these made quickly.

I agree as until we do the world we cant move on.

(Genuine question).

I mean the EU haven't yet got their act together so there's no chance of anything getting to other countries for a few months yet. Look at it this way.... On the pre flight briefing about over wing exits and oxygen masks dropping down in the event of cabin failure... They say put your mask on first before attending to others.

A couple of further observations from bmj and bloomberg websites. Israel whilst on course to be the first country to vaccinate its population is not vaccinating palistinians..

If you look at a map of countries currently vaccinating... Its pretty much all in the northern hemisphere. "

Pragmatism usually doesn’t come across as pleasant. Look after number 1 because nobody else will. Or at least that’s what I was always told.

Tin town

(Genuine question).

If you look at a map of countries currently vaccinating... Its pretty much all in the northern hemisphere.

Pragmatism usually doesn’t come across as pleasant. Look after number 1 because nobody else will. Or at least that’s what I was always told. "

I think this is a bit of stirring too. Our country and the US and France and Italy and Spain have been slaughtered for a year for having the highest total deaths and the highest death rates in the world from this awful disease. And now they are in a position to take actions to reduce that... They should give it away? Doesn't seem to make any sense at all. If you want to "save the world" wouldn't you treat the areas with the highest infections and deaths?

Manchester

"The most vaccine should go to where the most cases of covid are. What has wealth got to do with anything?

More than 60% of infected are in Europe and N America, that is where the most vaccine should, surely?

I seen a arguement last night on tv where a bloke from Oxfam was saying western money financed all the vaccines that are being used.

The oxford is the only one that is not for profit whereas the Pfizer is making 80% profit on each vaccine. The vaccines can only be Manufacturer through the company's that patented them.

He said that there are labs doing bugger all around the world that could be making the vaccines ...and as it's not the drug companies money that funded the development of these that the formula should be just given out to the rest of the world to get these made quickly.

I agree as until we do the world we cant move on."

If the Oxford vaccine is a non profit production, why do they not share the formulas and have it mass produced..... all at non profit of course.

(Genuine question).

Pragmatism usually doesn’t come across as pleasant. Look after number 1 because nobody else will. Or at least that’s what I was always told.

I think this is a bit of stirring too. Our country and the US and France and Italy and Spain have been slaughtered for a year for having the highest total deaths and the highest death rates in the world from this awful disease. And now they are in a position to take actions to reduce that... They should give it away? Doesn't seem to make any sense at all. If you want to "save the world" wouldn't you treat the areas with the highest infections and deaths? "

Like I say - pragmatic. The idea of rolling out the vaccine before we’ve got our own house in order is wishy washy nonsense at best, criminal negligence at worst.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"Where did you read this? As all I have seen is the EU vaccine issues

The scaremongering Guardian of course.."

You mean you don't agree with their politics.

Tin town

If the Oxford vaccine is a non profit production, why do they not share the formulas and have it mass produced..... all at non profit of course."

Because they reserve the right to change their pricing after the emergency is over.

Tin town

It's worth having a read of this...

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n281

Which talks about pricing and contracts.

If the Oxford vaccine is a non profit production, why do they not share the formulas and have it mass produced..... all at non profit of course."

It is happening in Thailand...it is the only vaccine they will be using after the half million they ordered from china is finished.

But the rest of the drug companies is not doing this as they are controlling the manufacturing in their own labs insuring them billions£.

As I said the development of the vaccines were funded by western governments....so why should they slow the process of manufacturing just to make mega bucks? The governments will not see a return apart from the vaccine in their people.

The drug companies are acting like arms dealers imo.

Tin town

If the Oxford vaccine is a non profit production, why do they not share the formulas and have it mass produced..... all at non profit of course.

It is happening in Thailand...it is the only vaccine they will be using after the half million they ordered from china is finished.

But the rest of the drug companies is not doing this as they are controlling the manufacturing in their own labs insuring them billions£.

As I said the development of the vaccines were funded by western governments....so why should they slow the process of manufacturing just to make mega bucks? The governments will not see a return apart from the vaccine in their people.

The drug companies are acting like arms dealers imo."

Well yes, and they always have done. The role of big pharma on the global stage, its role at highest levels of govt et al needs to be looked into in exactly the same way. However... "fixing" the global crisis will have bought them even more seats at the top table.

couple, us we him her.

"Define "poorer countries'? Nuclear powers such as Pakistan and India, the latter of which has the world's largest generic pharmaceutical industry? Remember that we have the highest apparent death rate in the world and on that basis vaccinating our population should be the highest priority. And many African countries have seen few covid outbreaks, maybe down to climate. "

Very much agree India and Pakistan have some extremely wealthy people and companies.

They could probably manufacture and distribute the vaccine themselves?

Tin town

"Define "poorer countries'? Nuclear powers such as Pakistan and India, the latter of which has the world's largest generic pharmaceutical industry? Remember that we have the highest apparent death rate in the world and on that basis vaccinating our population should be the highest priority. And many African countries have seen few covid outbreaks, maybe down to climate. "

Now, wouldn't it be good and hopefully useful to understand why apparently so few outbreaks in those countries?

couple, us we him her.

"Define "poorer countries'? Nuclear powers such as Pakistan and India, the latter of which has the world's largest generic pharmaceutical industry? Remember that we have the highest apparent death rate in the world and on that basis vaccinating our population should be the highest priority. And many African countries have seen few covid outbreaks, maybe down to climate.

Now, wouldn't it be good and hopefully useful to understand why apparently so few outbreaks in those countries? "

Perhaps the death rates are so high normally through the poorest areas the deaths aren't recorded?

Maybe because many of them live in such poor condition they have stronger immune systems?

That said Brasil isn't coping and they have vast poverty.

I'm not sure if climate has any impact ??

Maybe where it's warmer they can be more outdoorsie.

There's got to be a reason tho.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"As predicted.. and according to the Guardian

The World Health Organisation want the UK to stop vaccinating and let more doses to go to the poorer countries.. it's a mess"

What the WHO actually said is that "Richer countries should consider donating surpluses vaccines to poorer nations"... they are right.

Cak

Manchester

The World Health Organisation want the UK to stop vaccinating and let more doses to go to the poorer countries.. it's a mess

What the WHO actually said is that "Richer countries should consider donating surpluses vaccines to poorer nations"... they are right.

Cak"

Does this mean waiting for the vaccines to become "surplus" as this might take a long time?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cak

Does this mean waiting for the vaccines to become "surplus" as this might take a long time?"

I would expect so, the doses can't be surplus until they are no longer needed.

Cal

Tin town

"Define "poorer countries'? Nuclear powers such as Pakistan and India, the latter of which has the world's largest generic pharmaceutical industry? Remember that we have the highest apparent death rate in the world and on that basis vaccinating our population should be the highest priority. And many African countries have seen few covid outbreaks, maybe down to climate.

Now, wouldn't it be good and hopefully useful to understand why apparently so few outbreaks in those countries?

Perhaps the death rates are so high normally through the poorest areas the deaths aren't recorded?

Maybe because many of them live in such poor condition they have stronger immune systems?

There's got to be a reason tho."

I was thinking they don't have 5g masts or windows 10..oh and water goes down the plug hole in the opposite direction...

Manchester

There's got to be a reason tho.

I was thinking they don't have 5g masts or windows 10..oh and water goes down the plug hole in the opposite direction... "

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

(Genuine question)."

Yes.

Already posted this, but is relevant:

When someone is vaccinated, they may still be able to catch covid but:

1. They will be less likely to.

2. If they do catch it, they are very likely to recover faster.

3. Because they recover faster, their viral load will be smaller, so they will be less infectious.

If the vaccine is only 50% effective in all three of these aspects, it would mean that the R factor for a vaccinated person would drop to half (item 1), and to half of that (item 2), and to half of that (item 3) = total effect of R going to one eighth for a vaccinated person compared with a non vaccinated person.

At the moment, even with the majority of people taking lots of precautions, R is hovering around 1 - meaning that the number of new cases per day is not going up particularly, but neither is it going down.

This means for a vaccinated person the R could be down in the range 0.1 to 0.2 - but for everyone else it will still be about 1.

While the number of non-vaccinated much outweighs the vaccinated, the reduction in R averaged across the population is not great. But as soon as more than half have been jabbed, the average R factor will start to drop quickly.

So it's at this halfway point that we should start to see the number of cases falling off quickly. Also, that will be the time when people can start to gather together a bit more (though still taking care) without R going back above 1.

At round about the three quarters vaccinated point, we should be able to get a situation where the number currently infectious is dropping right down, and something approaching normal life can be resumed. There will still be cases popping up, but instead of outbreaks growing and growing, they will tend to shrink. We'll still need to avoid big crowds and such for a while - no stadium concerts with 20,000 people only inches apart. But it'll get so that smaller events will be okay - pubs and clubs will open, you'll be able to go to the cinema, fab social parties will resume...

But only when 2 jabs, more than half the population, and a month or two for the active case numbers to fall.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It seems appropriate advice for a global problem of this nature.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

Well given the WHO haven't exactly been accurate with data or decision making ' science advice' in the last year I'd say its hard to acquiesce to their demands..

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

The World Health Organisation want the UK to stop vaccinating and let more doses to go to the poorer countries.. it's a mess"

Bunch of arseholes no wonder Trump left

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"It seems appropriate advice for a global problem of this nature. "
Charity begins at home

Tin town

The World Health Organisation want the UK to stop vaccinating and let more doses to go to the poorer countries.. it's a messBunch of arseholes no wonder Trump left"

But they have a great title and everything they say must be true.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"It seems appropriate advice for a global problem of this nature. Charity begins at home"

Obviously why we have kids going hungry

So how does this tie in with the WHO saying that more than 60% need to be vaccinated in order for the vaccine to be of any real value. If that isn't reached then there's a big question as to whether immunity declines, new strains develope on our own doorstep and lockdown measures continue throughout 2021 and beyond. I'm tight in saying the UK is leading in supplying and donating financially far beyond any other country ATM, pleated £500M ($640M), 67m population, Germany €1O0M ($120M), 87m population to give a comparison. France though have pledged an undisclosed amount will not use the WHO to source any...."France's position is quite clear: we do not want to buy doses via COVAX," said the French ministry official who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter.

I think the intent of the WHO early on was to try and be the distributor of all global vaccines. This is not something many if any countries would be willing to hand over.

"Probably better to just let the poorer countries die out then the richer countries will get even richer! "

Wow what a cruel insensitive comment. Lets hope we dnt become a poor country

Poor countries always have money for weapons, war and cultivation of drugs.

More than 60% of infected are in Europe and N America, that is where the most vaccine should, surely?"

but vaccine is prevention not treatment so why where the highest cases are?

(Genuine question).

I mean the EU haven't yet got their act together so there's no chance of anything getting to other countries for a few months yet. Look at it this way.... On the pre flight briefing about over wing exits and oxygen masks dropping down in the event of cabin failure... They say put your mask on first before attending to others. "

i think doing our own vulnerable first is effectively getting on our own mask first in that scenario

then WHO are asking us to help the frail old lady in the window seat rather than our able bodied husband in the aisle

is it an issue of money or an issue of supply (or maybe a mix of both )

the way in reading it is like the when the monopolies commission steps in and says the big fish has too much buying power and is squeezing any competition out of the market , mr big fish doesn’t have to shut up shop but he does need to sell off a couple of branches to even out the playing field

presumably the richer countries dived in first with their orders and hefty deposits and now the poorer countries don’t have a look in and are way down the queue so can’t even start to vaccinate their most vulnerable

if so surely the g8 or whatever could agree to sacrifice certain percentages of their orders to less developed countries wether that be in terms of freeing up stock or just allocating sone of what we have paid for ... we dont have to stop our programme, just scale it back a little once wr have vaccinated our most at risk to allow others a chance to protect their vulnerable too

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Poor countries always have money for weapons, war and cultivation of drugs.

"

Mostly sold to them by us tbf

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Mostly sold to them by us tbf"

Be interested to know what poor countries we have sold arms to?

Tin town

Be interested to know what poor countries we have sold arms to? "

And where the money came from to pay for them? And what they were used for?

Chelmsford

My motto.. Charity begins at home...

Manchester

but vaccine is prevention not treatment so why where the highest cases are? "

Because the more people who are infected the more chance to spread it, that's your best prevention

Manchester

Mostly sold to them by us tbf"

Ah that's why UK gives em the state aid in the first place

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Be interested to know what poor countries we have sold arms to?

And where the money came from to pay for them? And what they were used for? "

Export credit guarantee, we lend them the money to buy the arms we sell ..

We used to be third globally for arms sales, it's very lucrative..

We sell things we can't use here like cattle prod type devices to regimes we know use them to torture people but you know it's British jobs eh..

Chelmsford

I am sure lots of UK residents would give up their allocated vaccine to others.. let it be so....

Because the more people who are infected the more chance to spread it, that's your best prevention"

yeah but vaccinating people that are already infected wont bring the infections down ... only distance and staying home will do that

the vaccine at the moment is only confirmed to stop people who do not yet have the virus from developing serious symptoms if they do contract it ... its about protecting the vulnerable and the nhs first, then the rest of us need it as lower transmissions means less chance for mutation

Given our death rate is one of the worst and we blatantly can’t function, maybe it’s better we actually push on full steam ahead and get everyone vaccinated.

The worry for me, is that mutations will develop continually that the vaccines do not protect against. This may go on for years.

Manchester

Because the more people who are infected the more chance to spread it, that's your best prevention

yeah but vaccinating people that are already infected wont bring the infections down ... only distance and staying home will do that

the vaccine at the moment is only confirmed to stop people who do not yet have the virus from developing serious symptoms if they do contract it ... its about protecting the vulnerable and the nhs first, then the rest of us need it as lower transmissions means less chance for mutation "

"vaccinating people that are already infected wont bring the infections down"

Agreed but is it not better to vaccinate the people who are more at risk of catching the virus due to potential exposure from a high contaminated population?

E.G. a country with 10% of population infected has the potential to infect more than a country where only 1% are infected, if all other things are equal.

I say vaccinate where the virus is most rampant

» Add a new message to this topic