FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > The Great Plague

The Great Plague

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Great programme on Ch5.

So many parallels between 1665 and now.

Started in London.

Mayor of London ordered lock ins of households with positive cases...rather like China did...actually nailed them indoors and had "watchmen" on the streets.

Rich people legged it and spread it to rest of country....no change there then!

In September 1665 there were 7000 deaths a week in London alone!

Most deaths in poorer communities/cramped housing etc...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Great programme on Ch5.

Started in London.

Mayor of London ordered lock ins of households with positive cases...rather like China did...actually nailed them indoors and had "watchmen" on the streets.

Most deaths in poorer communities/cramped housing etc..."

Difference being we have the ability to vaccinate against covid now back then

It was leeches and a spike up the bum.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

It's not entirely comparable due to the difference in the bacterial organism Yersinia pestis, that causes plague, and the virus SARS-CoV-2. The mechanism of spread is usually different, although bubonic plague probably became pneumonic plague (transmissible via coughs and sneezes) and so there was some airborne spread.

Any contagious disease will spread more easily in cramped, perhaps insanitary housing and cause more problems in under nourished people, perhaps with other pre existing illnesses. Hence the connection to poverty.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Am sure if they had had masks that would of kept the death rate down.

North West

"Am sure if they had had masks that would of kept the death rate down."

Bubonic plague was mainly spread by flea bites. Masks wouldn't have prevented that. It might have prevented the pneumonic spread (but this didn't happen in every case).

"Am sure if they had had masks that would of kept the death rate down.

Bubonic plague was mainly spread by flea bites. Masks wouldn't have prevented that. It might have prevented the pneumonic spread (but this didn't happen in every case)."

I know, was being a bit ironic with the comparison to covid

By *rman82Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"Am sure if they had had masks that would of kept the death rate down."

There is actually very little evidence that masks help keep the spread of Covid 19 down. The largest study available actually showed that they didn’t.

There is actually very little evidence that masks help keep the spread of Covid 19 down. The largest study available actually showed that they didn’t. "

I know that but don't say it out loud or they will come for you

Manchester

There is actually very little evidence that masks help keep the spread of Covid 19 down. The largest study available actually showed that they didn’t.

I know that but don't say it out loud or they will come for you "

Haha! Ah right yes, silly me. Dont want to be labelled a conspiracy theorist.

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

I guess we need to tell all the doctors and nurses to take their masks off then? Right yeah sure.

What is spreading it is that people are still not distancing. I go out for regular walks and almost every time I go out - I see people chatting too close. Guess what, the virus is high in this area.

Manchester

"I guess we need to tell all the doctors and nurses to take their masks off then? Right yeah sure.

What is spreading it is that people are still not distancing. I go out for regular walks and almost every time I go out - I see people chatting too close. Guess what, the virus is high in this area."

I’m just looking at what evidence there is in relation to masks and there seems to be very little. You can take a look and let me know if you find anything? It’s an airborne virus, you would need an airtight mask to protect you. Airtight masks aren’t great.

I think chatting outside is actually pretty safe, one of the safest places you could be to be honest.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

They seem to want to resist learning from the past, using the word 'unprecedented' as often as possible. They seemingly don't want to learn from earlier experiences of this 1 either.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Great programme on Ch5.

Started in London.

Most deaths in poorer communities/cramped housing etc..."

Think this was on first ib the summer very good even people protesting against lockdown.

Of course we have science to hopefully help us now

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"I guess we need to tell all the doctors and nurses to take their masks off then? Right yeah sure.

What is spreading it is that people are still not distancing. I go out for regular walks and almost every time I go out - I see people chatting too close. Guess what, the virus is high in this area.

I’m just looking at what evidence there is in relation to masks and there seems to be very little. You can take a look and let me know if you find anything? It’s an airborne virus, you would need an airtight mask to protect you. Airtight masks aren’t great.

I think chatting outside is actually pretty safe, one of the safest places you could be to be honest. "

Its primarily a contact virus not an airborne virus. It has been stated that it can be airborne under certain circumstances - being in a poorly ventilated room in close contact for over 30 minutes. However the main route is from droplets (sneezes, coughs) and then contact if someone has sneezed/coughed onto their hands and then touched objects or directly sneezed/coughed onto the objects.

Manchester

I think chatting outside is actually pretty safe, one of the safest places you could be to be honest.

Its primarily a contact virus not an airborne virus. It has been stated that it can be airborne under certain circumstances - being in a poorly ventilated room in close contact for over 30 minutes. However the main route is from droplets (sneezes, coughs) and then contact if someone has sneezed/coughed onto their hands and then touched objects or directly sneezed/coughed onto the objects."

Regardless of what it is primarily, it is still an airborne virus.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Bubonic plague was mainly spread by flea bites. Masks wouldn't have prevented that. It might have prevented the pneumonic spread (but this didn't happen in every case)."

That's a myth.. it was spread mainly by human lice..

That's now the theory most accepted by science however as we know.. science is often flawed as are many scientists.

North West

Bubonic plague was mainly spread by flea bites. Masks wouldn't have prevented that. It might have prevented the pneumonic spread (but this didn't happen in every case).

That's a myth.. it was spread mainly by human lice..

That's now the theory most accepted by science however as we know.. science is often flawed as are many scientists."

Tonight is not the night, Essex Tom.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/plague#:~:text=Bubonic%20plague%20is%20the%20most,inhalation%20of%20infected%20respiratory%20droplets.

By *oelDorianMan  over a year ago

vanaheim

Its primarily a contact virus not an airborne virus. It has been stated that it can be airborne under certain circumstances - being in a poorly ventilated room in close contact for over 30 minutes. However the main route is from droplets (sneezes, coughs) and then contact if someone has sneezed/coughed onto their hands and then touched objects or directly sneezed/coughed onto the objects.

Regardless of what it is primarily, it is still an airborne virus. "

I’m going to repeat this louder so everyone at the back can here. It’s not *NOT* primarily an airborne virus. Unless you can quote medical journals or papers that state otherwise than gladly cite them. It’s a contact virus it lives on hard surface or as was previously mentioned it can also inhabit saliva or mucus. Masks remove the transmission vector of mucus or saliva from the equation. But as was also previously stated if someone coughed into their hands then it would live there. I swear to god some people don’t actually take the time to actually research what they are talking about if it was airborne it would have infected a lot more people.

Chelmsford

They just don't know.. they are muddling around just like those plague doctors with their beaks and long black coats...

Manchester

I’m going to repeat this louder so everyone at the back can here. It’s not *NOT* primarily an airborne virus. Unless you can quote medical journals or papers that state otherwise than gladly cite them. It’s a contact virus it lives on hard surface or as was previously mentioned it can also inhabit saliva or mucus. Masks remove the transmission vector of mucus or saliva from the equation. But as was also previously stated if someone coughed into their hands then it would live there. I swear to god some people don’t actually take the time to actually research what they are talking about if it was airborne it would have infected a lot more people. "

Did anybody say it was ‘primarily an airborne virus’? I don’t believe they did. No need to shout, just read properly.

Chelmsford

I’m going to repeat this louder so everyone at the back can here. It’s not *NOT* primarily an airborne virus. Unless you can quote medical journals or papers that state otherwise than gladly cite them. It’s a contact virus it lives on hard surface or as was previously mentioned it can also inhabit saliva or mucus. Masks remove the transmission vector of mucus or saliva from the equation. But as was also previously stated if someone coughed into their hands then it would live there. I swear to god some people don’t actually take the time to actually research what they are talking about if it was airborne it would have infected a lot more people.

Did anybody say it was ‘primarily an airborne virus’? I don’t believe they did. No need to shout, just read properly."

Apparently shouting or singing helps it spread...

» Add a new message to this topic