FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > What's happened to flu?

What's happened to flu?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

I've seen this thrown up in most threads... The ones that sya everything is put down as covid and flu is being called covid and so on....

This just popped into my inbox and is from the times and explains a bit more for those who are genuinely interested.

"The number of people suffering from flu has plunged by 95% to levels not seen in more than 130 years, according to experts and official data. Influenza has been “almost completely wiped out”, said Simon de Lusignan, professor of primary care at the University of Oxford and director of the Royal College of GPs research and surveillance centre, which focuses on flu. “I cannot think of a year this has happened.”

In the second week of January, usually the peak of the season, the number of influenza-like illnesses reported to GPs was 1.1 per 100,000 people, compared to a five-year average rate of 27."

And.... Wouldn't be great if we can keep flu down?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *j48Man  over a year ago

Wigan

"I've seen this thrown up in most threads... The ones that sya everything is put down as covid and flu is being called covid and so on....

This just popped into my inbox and is from the times and explains a bit more for those who are genuinely interested.

"The number of people suffering from flu has plunged by 95% to levels not seen in more than 130 years, according to experts and official data. Influenza has been “almost completely wiped out”, said Simon de Lusignan, professor of primary care at the University of Oxford and director of the Royal College of GPs research and surveillance centre, which focuses on flu. “I cannot think of a year this has happened.”

In the second week of January, usually the peak of the season, the number of influenza-like illnesses reported to GPs was 1.1 per 100,000 people, compared to a five-year average rate of 27."

And.... Wouldn't be great if we can keep flu down? "

Hi Doc.. I've got flu like symptoms.. Ok have a test specifically mentioned by WHO that is unreliable to test for Covid.. Oh bugger you've tested positive for Covid..

Easy for flu to become an uninteresting and headline grabbing statistic

By *aulaxd500TV/TS  over a year ago

Wigan

Hand washing,masks, better ventilation and social distancing.

I bet noravirus (winter vomit bug) is well down too.

I've yet to get a cold or bug it's been almost a year

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Hand washing,masks, better ventilation and social distancing.

I've yet to get a cold or bug it's been almost a year "

Yup

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i expect flu to he down with social distancing and increased hygiene

but access to gps is also down and people can just self isolate if they assume its covid (similar symptoms) so can probably self cert off work etc

its entirely possible that even cases that do exist are not being reported to gps as often

By *picyrodMan  over a year ago

ruddington

Had a flu jab recently

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

We're all wearing masks, locked down, keeping 2 metres apart, not mixing. Obviously flu is not as contagious.

I've yet to get a cold or bug it's been almost a year "

You complaining?

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

Folk probably phoned the Dr who presumed it was covid and told them to self isolate.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's a similar result to that experienced in the southern hemisphere, during our summer 2020, where flu had all but disappeared.

Ideally it's the social distancing, hand washing, working from home, flu vaccine high take up levels and practical steps that are transferable, rather than lockdown, that's achieved this.

Our experience through gives us a good pointer, should a much worse flu strain arise in future.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Folk probably phoned the Dr who presumed it was covid and told them to self isolate."

They'd be told to test and isolate

By *aulaxd500TV/TS  over a year ago

Wigan

I've yet to get a cold or bug it's been almost a year

You complaining? "

Hell no

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"We're all wearing masks, locked down, keeping 2 metres apart, not mixing. Obviously flu is not as contagious. "

This, plus the highest uptake of the flu vaccine ever, by a huge margin. Flu is a lot less contagious, yes.

Flu is down because we have all socially distanced and worn masks, however CONvid has spread like wild fire due to nobody wearing masks or social distancing, I fail to understand why more questions like are not being asked by the public

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"Folk probably phoned the Dr who presumed it was covid and told them to self isolate."

Flu r number is average of 1.28 so it really doesn't take much in terms of restrictions for it to disappear completely. Common sense really but of course, feel free to think without using it.

North West

"Flu is down because we have all socially distanced and worn masks, however CONvid has spread like wild fire due to nobody wearing masks or social distancing, I fail to understand why more questions like are not being asked by the public "

Flu is far less contagious. We have a massively increased uptake of the flu vaccine this year and the mechanism of transmission of flu is different.

You're welcome.

"Flu is down because we have all socially distanced and worn masks, however CONvid has spread like wild fire due to nobody wearing masks or social distancing, I fail to understand why more questions like are not being asked by the public "

or 2 viruses are not the same and one can be more contagious than the other

"Flu is down because we have all socially distanced and worn masks, however CONvid has spread like wild fire due to nobody wearing masks or social distancing, I fail to understand why more questions like are not being asked by the public

Flu is far less contagious. We have a massively increased uptake of the flu vaccine this year and the mechanism of transmission of flu is different.

You're welcome. "

i was too slow

Manchester (she/her)

Flu is less contagious, many of us don't have any nearby antibodies to Covid, and not all measures are foolproof.

You're welcome

Manchester (she/her)

North West

"Flu is down because we have all socially distanced and worn masks, however CONvid has spread like wild fire due to nobody wearing masks or social distancing, I fail to understand why more questions like are not being asked by the public

You're welcome.

i was too slow "

You snooze, you lose

» Add a new message to this topic