FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Media

Media

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So in the space of 24 hours the hysterical British Media have gone from-arghhh fear the mutant virus to hooray the vaccine stops transmission. I really wish they would show a bit of restraint. Throughout the campaign the British media have added to peoples natural fears with so many unfounded headlines. The BBC is one of the worst offenders. Click Bait headlines. We need a balanced and calm media driven by facts .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've been saying this since the initial outbreak. Media in general, and BBC in particular have not covered themselves in any kind of glory throughout this, almost revelling in bringing doom & gloom headlines and reports on a daily basis.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Sensational headlines grab attention and sell papers. If the headlines were "Nothing to worry about" or "everything is mostly fine", then why would anyone look past the headlines?

Cal

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Some of the news reports do contain some interesting interviews with the scientific community though, its knowing what to sift through on the theatre news, look at the DC witchunt they went on...

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I think the DC witch hunt was justified

Yea the BBC is becoming worse than the Daily Mail! Huw Edwards and Laura Kungsberg the harbingers of doom!!!

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

I pretty much try and avoid all media at the moment. Its fairly depressing

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I mean if that's the news that's the news. It's a fast moving situation, in which the virus appears to be getting worse and the science is doing a phenomenal job.

Why is that hysterical? How would you determine facts versus angle? You wouldn't want to regulate free speech, would you?

i actually wonder if all the mutation chat is being pushed hard in the media now to encourage people who didn’t want the vaccine to get it ...

lots of people don’t want it because they think they are not at high risk... but if they hear that people not getting if leaves opportunity for mutations it might sway them

not necessarily a bad message to get out there but it would mean both stories are actually being pushed for the same reason

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

The likes of the bbc generally run with what they are told

How you can be 'hysterical'over a pandemic which has affected the whole world is a bit of a puzzle.

Manchester (she/her)

"The likes of the bbc generally run with what they are told

How you can be 'hysterical'over a pandemic which has affected the whole world is a bit of a puzzle."

If you think it's bad or worse than lockdown then you're a disciple of the MSM and need to wake up sheeple.

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"So in the space of 24 hours the hysterical British Media have gone from-arghhh fear the mutant virus to hooray the vaccine stops transmission. I really wish they would show a bit of restraint. Throughout the campaign the British media have added to peoples natural fears with so many unfounded headlines. The BBC is one of the worst offenders. Click Bait headlines. We need a balanced and calm media driven by facts ."

Unfortunately that will never happen.

The media make too much revenue from sensationalism and scaremongering to ever start to reform.

By *ebel Red HotWoman  over a year ago

York

The media are sensationalising everything right now they have little else to get people to read their stories.

They have a habit of taking the worst case scenario of any given moment and running with that. Instead of a balanced message. We all see the press conferences. It’s the sensational headlines that feed peoples fears. I’m not downplaying any if this but they have definitely spun some of this for effect. As the nation’s broadcaster I feel they have a duty to be more balanced.

Manchester (she/her)

"They have a habit of taking the worst case scenario of any given moment and running with that. Instead of a balanced message. We all see the press conferences. It’s the sensational headlines that feed peoples fears. I’m not downplaying any if this but they have definitely spun some of this for effect. As the nation’s broadcaster I feel they have a duty to be more balanced."

Balance towards what, exactly?

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

The media have sensationalised things since the media started being printed on wax tablets or whatever. It's up to the reader/listener to think critically and not necessarily take everything as gospel (amount to be taken as gospel depends on what media outlet you are referring to).

liverpool

"They have a habit of taking the worst case scenario of any given moment and running with that. Instead of a balanced message. We all see the press conferences. It’s the sensational headlines that feed peoples fears. I’m not downplaying any if this but they have definitely spun some of this for effect. As the nation’s broadcaster I feel they have a duty to be more balanced."

In what way have they 'spun'it?

Manchester (she/her)

"The media have sensationalised things since the media started being printed on wax tablets or whatever. It's up to the reader/listener to think critically and not necessarily take everything as gospel (amount to be taken as gospel depends on what media outlet you are referring to)."

Personal responsibility? Oh no!

I wish critical thinking was compulsory in schools

By *aughtywifeandhimCouple  over a year ago

luton

Just wish they would actually publish the figures of how many have recovered , it’s the only thing they haven’t done , if they published the whole truth then people might actually start taking note .I’m not saying there isn’t a virus there is and it is affecting people I just want to know the good with the bad

liverpool

"Just wish they would actually publish the figures of how many have recovered , it’s the only thing they haven’t done , if they published the whole truth then people might actually start taking note .I’m not saying there isn’t a virus there is and it is affecting people I just want to know the good with the bad "

But when they have a train crash for example they dont say how many survived.

The true cost of the pandemic is only going to be measured in the number of people who have, sadly lost their lives.

Plus there are people who have survived but have long term side effects.

I'm not a fan of tabloid media in particular but they are only reporting what they are being told.

Manchester (she/her)

"Just wish they would actually publish the figures of how many have recovered , it’s the only thing they haven’t done , if they published the whole truth then people might actually start taking note .I’m not saying there isn’t a virus there is and it is affecting people I just want to know the good with the bad "

Difficult figure.

If you want "completely back to normal", you'll have to do follow ups on millions of people. Are they still suffering disability or adverse effects?

We don't hear much about long term effects either. Either you cark it - in which case you probably deserved it somehow - or it's the sniffles.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"The media have sensationalised things since the media started being printed on wax tablets or whatever. It's up to the reader/listener to think critically and not necessarily take everything as gospel (amount to be taken as gospel depends on what media outlet you are referring to)."

With I read the Salvation Army newspaper called the Salvationist.. I treat everything I read in there as gospel...

Chelmsford

"The media have sensationalised things since the media started being printed on wax tablets or whatever. It's up to the reader/listener to think critically and not necessarily take everything as gospel (amount to be taken as gospel depends on what media outlet you are referring to).

I wish critical thinking was compulsory in schools "

It is...

As much as the government's message was mixed (at best), I think the papers fucked it up much much worse by publishing contradictory stories all the time. And speculation on new rules that hadn't yet been agreed just confused people even more.

Some people see things very black and white, and/ or they don't have access or the desire to read multiple medical websites to get more information. They read the paper or watch the news and believe what they say is true.

By *ausageNmashCouple  over a year ago

Andover

That's why I dont bother with t.v or the media in general

"The media have sensationalised things since the media started being printed on wax tablets or whatever. It's up to the reader/listener to think critically and not necessarily take everything as gospel (amount to be taken as gospel depends on what media outlet you are referring to).

It is... "

Afaik Critical Thinking was a 6th form thing, atleast it was when i went. Unless they changed it

Manchester (she/her)

"As much as the government's message was mixed (at best), I think the papers fucked it up much much worse by publishing contradictory stories all the time. And speculation on new rules that hadn't yet been agreed just confused people even more.

Some people see things very black and white, and/ or they don't have access or the desire to read multiple medical websites to get more information. They read the paper or watch the news and believe what they say is true. "

It's a fast moving situation with lots of stuff happening that would normally be behind closed doors.

We normally don't see the mess of the scientists figuring it out. We see "treatment for X might be possible", maybe "trials for treatment for X might be possible" then "treatment for X approved. And normally most people don't care that much.

We've now got a lot of people getting caught up in the teeny tiny details that will come out in the wash in the end, thinking the back and forth is a sign of weakness (it's not). And people who don't know what they're talking about reporting parts of things that aren't the true picture of the tiny snapshot anyway.

(And people reporting true pictures and not getting anywhere over the other stuff)

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"So in the space of 24 hours the hysterical British Media have gone from-arghhh fear the mutant virus to hooray the vaccine stops transmission. I really wish they would show a bit of restraint. Throughout the campaign the British media have added to peoples natural fears with so many unfounded headlines. The BBC is one of the worst offenders. Click Bait headlines. We need a balanced and calm media driven by facts ."
They report the news of the time real news not fake news there reporting on the virus overall has been very good

upton wirral

"That's why I dont bother with t.v or the media in general "
Maybe you should and not listen to internet fools

North West

It is... "

It really isn't. The current Govian curriculum favours rote learning over deep inquiry and investigation.

North West

[Removed by poster at 03/02/21 13:02:42]

Manchester (she/her)

It is...

It really isn't. The current Govian curriculum favours rote learning over deep inquiry and investigation."

Oh god the culture wars do not bloody help. "make sure children know the truth!" By truth you mean the pulp of hurt feelings and we're amazing coz we sez so?

And "don't let the universities be woke" blah blah. Why are governments interfering or attempting to interfere with research because they disagree with it?

That's the opposite of critical thinking

North West

It is...

It really isn't. The current Govian curriculum favours rote learning over deep inquiry and investigation.

Oh god the culture wars do not bloody help. "make sure children know the truth!" By truth you mean the pulp of hurt feelings and we're amazing coz we sez so?

And "don't let the universities be woke" blah blah. Why are governments interfering or attempting to interfere with research because they disagree with it?

That's the opposite of critical thinking"

Unfortunately, young people are spending more time and effort learning to recite 19th century poetry etc. rather than asking searching questions on various topics.

liverpool

It is...

That's the opposite of critical thinking"

The fact that they dont teach politics is quite telling.

It is...

The fact that they dont teach politics is quite telling."

we were taught politics in modern studies... everyone got 2 years of it at high school... maybe its stopped

Manchester (she/her)

It is...

Unfortunately, young people are spending more time and effort learning to recite 19th century poetry etc. rather than asking searching questions on various topics. "

I was educated overseas and what I'm thinking of was an optional "enrichment" unit (the kids bored with English because they didn't need it that slow got yanked and put in an extra lesson )...

It's not enough per se, but I think it was pretty good for 12.

We got newspaper articles. "What are they saying? Why? What's the political and historical context? How are other sources reporting this? What does this mean?"

I consider it my first formal training in critical thinking (my mum did similar with at home science experiments when I was younger).

liverpool

It is...

The fact that they dont teach politics is quite telling.

we were taught politics in modern studies... everyone got 2 years of it at high school... maybe its stopped "

I did it at a level..it wasn't taught are GCSE

It may have changed now but i read somewhere its not compulsory.

Chelmsford

It is...

Unfortunately, young people are spending more time and effort learning to recite 19th century poetry etc. rather than asking searching questions on various topics. "

Well I can assure you that critical thinking is intrinsic to the delivery of the National Curriculum in our primary schools. We encourage agreement/disagreement and reasoning why? to give alternative views .. reasoning.. inventing.. so many more..

Now if Primary school children are taught those skills then why is it that some on here purport to be thinkers but can only regurgitate facts that are spoon fed to them...?

Manchester (she/her)

It is...

Unfortunately, young people are spending more time and effort learning to recite 19th century poetry etc. rather than asking searching questions on various topics.

Well I can assure you that critical thinking is intrinsic to the delivery of the National Curriculum in our primary schools. We encourage agreement/disagreement and reasoning why? to give alternative views .. reasoning.. inventing.. so many more..

Now if Primary school children are taught those skills then why is it that some on here purport to be thinkers but can only regurgitate facts that are spoon fed to them...?"

Source analysis is part of critical thinking. As is knowing your limitations and not leaping off the deep end from "things says X" to "therefore it must mean Y".

Sophisticated thinking involves guarding against your own cognitive biases and recognising your limitations.

Chelmsford

It is...

The fact that they dont teach politics is quite telling."

They are taught politics in the sense that they are taught and practice democracy, voting, the political system etc. They are not taught party politics per se and this is correct in my view by the wooly left...

Chelmsford

It is...

Now if Primary school children are taught those skills then why is it that some on here purport to be thinkers but can only regurgitate facts that are spoon fed to them...?

Source analysis is part of critical thinking. As is knowing your limitations and not leaping off the deep end from "things says X" to "therefore it must mean Y".

Sophisticated thinking involves guarding against your own cognitive biases and recognising your limitations."

Hear Hear... We agree at last..

Manchester (she/her)

Oh do we now. Fascinating

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

With around 98% survival rate, media is much worse virus than Covid unfortunately

Manchester (she/her)

"With around 98% survival rate, media is much worse virus than Covid unfortunately "

I notice the survival rate has gradually decreased with this line. Hmm.

Not the conclusions made, not anything else. Just a subtle shifting of goalposts.

Chelmsford

Well in some ways.. those flouting the rules are playing a game of Russian Roulette...

They think they know the odds but there are so many variables...

In a proper game of Russian Roulette there are only six chambers and one has a live bullet. You do the math...

Dublin

"With around 98% survival rate, media is much worse virus than Covid unfortunately

Not the conclusions made, not anything else. Just a subtle shifting of goalposts."

If u went into hospital with heart attack, tested positive and u die from some complications related with heart, u are going to be put down as covid death, and that's true, not conspiracy theory...and yeah, media is toxic

Manchester (she/her)

"With around 98% survival rate, media is much worse virus than Covid unfortunately

Not the conclusions made, not anything else. Just a subtle shifting of goalposts.

If u went into hospital with heart attack, tested positive and u die from some complications related with heart, u are going to be put down as covid death, and that's true, not conspiracy theory...and yeah, media is toxic "

You got any evidence for that?

Or is it just a deflection from the goal post shifting of your earlier assertion?

I see you.

Dublin

If u went into hospital with heart attack, tested positive and u die from some complications related with heart, u are going to be put down as covid death, and that's true, not conspiracy theory...and yeah, media is toxic

Or is it just a deflection from the goal post shifting of your earlier assertion?

I see you."

Oh please stick your head back to the sand and don't miss the news today... Of course is true, my best friend dad

Manchester (she/her)

I see you.

Oh please stick your head back to the sand and don't miss the news today... Of course is true, my best friend dad"

Evidence? Data?

Chelmsford

I see you."

If a person dies of/ or with Covid then it will be put on the medical papers as a/the cause of death. This informs the Mortuary and Funeral staff how to deal with the person.

So yes. If a person has Covid it will be put on the medical certificates regardless of whether they had a heart attack. Both would be listed..

Manchester (she/her)

I see you.

If a person dies of/ or with Covid then it will be put on the medical papers as a/the cause of death. This informs the Mortuary and Funeral staff how to deal with the person.

So yes. If a person has Covid it will be put on the medical certificates regardless of whether they had a heart attack. Both would be listed.."

Got any data or evidence?

Dublin

I see you.

So yes. If a person has Covid it will be put on the medical certificates regardless of whether they had a heart attack. Both would be listed.."

And mortality rate is rising, simple..

Dublin

I see you.

So yes. If a person has Covid it will be put on the medical certificates regardless of whether they had a heart attack. Both would be listed..

Got any data or evidence?"

What do you want, medical certificate??

Can you proof i am wrong?

Manchester (she/her)

"

Can you proof i am wrong? "

Proof would constitute an analysis of the death certificate data, at either 28 days or longer interval, where it's listed on the death certificate. What percentage have Covid as a causal factor.

By the way, you made the claim, the burden of proof is on you.

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

The media has been toxic for years and has it's own agenda normally driven by it's owner or owners just look at fox news ! and most people should take what is printed in the tabloids with a large pinch of salt on most days and it's the 24 hour news cycle as well...

liverpool

I see you.

Can you proof i am wrong? "

Surely if you make a claim the burden of proof is on you?

liverpool

"The media has been toxic for years and has it's own agenda normally driven by it's owner or owners just look at fox news ! and most people should take what is printed in the tabloids with a large pinch of salt on most days and it's the 24 hour news cycle as well..."

Just wait for GB news

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

I can't wait ..already got times radio and the BBC are under the cosh now !!

Manchester (she/her)

"The media has been toxic for years and has it's own agenda normally driven by it's owner or owners just look at fox news ! and most people should take what is printed in the tabloids with a large pinch of salt on most days and it's the 24 hour news cycle as well...

Just wait for GB news"

Sigh

By *asIsaCouple  over a year ago

harrow

Not difficult to work out. As of yesterday there had been 3,850,000 confirmed cases and 108,000 deaths so I make that 3,742,000 recovered, whichis approx 97% . However we need to define 'recovery' with post viral problems, long covid etc.

Manchester (she/her)

"Just wish they would actually publish the figures of how many have recovered , it’s the only thing they haven’t done , if they published the whole truth then people might actually start taking note .I’m not saying there isn’t a virus there is and it is affecting people I just want to know the good with the bad

Not difficult to work out. As of yesterday there had been 3,850,000 confirmed cases and 108,000 deaths so I make that 3,742,000 recovered, whichis approx 97% . However we need to define 'recovery' with post viral problems, long covid etc."

3% death rate.

Recovery under 97% but unknown.

It has been the same for decades, just more pronounced and prolonged as it keeps feeding them.

I would have thought that by now most people would have started to learn simple measures to read more carefully and look at the words used to infer things (subliminal messaging), to cross reference, check credible sources and reread what the post to see how rational it is in respect to emotively written and then blurred.

Stepping back for a bit to allow this demonstrates a certain maturity, but also reduces so much nonsense being flashed about too.

Manchester (she/her)

"So in the space of 24 hours the hysterical British Media have gone from-arghhh fear the mutant virus to hooray the vaccine stops transmission. I really wish they would show a bit of restraint. Throughout the campaign the British media have added to peoples natural fears with so many unfounded headlines. The BBC is one of the worst offenders. Click Bait headlines. We need a balanced and calm media driven by facts .

It has been the same for decades, just more pronounced and prolonged as it keeps feeding them.

I would have thought that by now most people would have started to learn simple measures to read more carefully and look at the words used to infer things (subliminal messaging), to cross reference, check credible sources and reread what the post to see how rational it is in respect to emotively written and then blurred.

Stepping back for a bit to allow this demonstrates a certain maturity, but also reduces so much nonsense being flashed about too."

Responsibility here.

Yes the media should probably be more measured.

But you should read the news critically.

Also, if you want happy news at the moment (rather than something resembling reality), maybe skip an actual news station and look up puppy rescue on YouTube at the moment.

Chelmsford

I see you.

Got any data or evidence?"

Well I can give you a personal account.. I bury them...

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

[Removed by poster at 03/02/21 14:52:46]

"I've been saying this since the initial outbreak. Media in general, and BBC in particular have not covered themselves in any kind of glory throughout this, almost revelling in bringing doom & gloom headlines and reports on a daily basis."
Yes and I have said it as well from the start. I would say that all the mainstream is the same too

Chelmsford

"So in the space of 24 hours the hysterical British Media have gone from-arghhh fear the mutant virus to hooray the vaccine stops transmission. I really wish they would show a bit of restraint. Throughout the campaign the British media have added to peoples natural fears with so many unfounded headlines. The BBC is one of the worst offenders. Click Bait headlines. We need a balanced and calm media driven by facts .

Stepping back for a bit to allow this demonstrates a certain maturity, but also reduces so much nonsense being flashed about too.

Responsibility here.

Yes the media should probably be more measured.

But you should read the news critically.

Also, if you want happy news at the moment (rather than something resembling reality), maybe skip an actual news station and look up puppy rescue on YouTube at the moment."

Absolutely,as I read all mails on here..

Chelmsford

"Just wish they would actually publish the figures of how many have recovered , it’s the only thing they haven’t done , if they published the whole truth then people might actually start taking note .I’m not saying there isn’t a virus there is and it is affecting people I just want to know the good with the bad

Not difficult to work out. As of yesterday there had been 3,850,000 confirmed cases and 108,000 deaths so I make that 3,742,000 recovered, whichis approx 97% . However we need to define 'recovery' with post viral problems, long covid etc."

Flawed maths..

You talk of confirmed cases.. how many are there unconfirmed.. it could be tens or even hundreds of thousands more...

Panic sells! Media needs a crisis to function and make bank. Feels like the pandemic has given them an excuse to feel relevant again. Wasn’t so long ago there was talking of demonetising the BBC and now they’re more watched and relevant than ever. Not worth worrying about OP!

North West

It is...

Now if Primary school children are taught those skills then why is it that some on here purport to be thinkers but can only regurgitate facts that are spoon fed to them...?"

I take it primary school education is your field then, Essex Tom? It's interesting that your reported experience does not tally with what my family members who are primary teachers or TAs think about the reformed National Curriculum, that puts excessive emphasis on tests.

This was the rationale given in 2013:

"The intention is to restore the original purpose of setting out what all children should learn, focused on essential knowledge in key subjects in a way that embodies rigour and high standards. At the same time, schools will be given greater control over their wider school curriculum, and teachers the freedom to use their professionalism and expertise to support the progress of all children."

What children should learn

Essential knowledge

Neither of those things are associated with higher order learning. Acquisition of knowledge (rote learning) is at the bottom. Evaluation of concepts and synthesis of new ideas is at the very top.

By *rman82Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Couldn’t agree more, we are actually paying for this tripe too. What happened to providing a balanced view? It doesn’t happen, with regards to Covid the BBC are nothing more than a government propaganda machine. Sent to scare the British public into submission.

The media as a whole have become a bit of a joke in my opinion, aren't journalists supposed to investigate things? Little pad and a pen, asking difficult questions, search out the truth? Doesn’t happen. Unfortunately a lot of people in this country still believe what they see in the MSM, its like they don’t realise these media outlets are all owned by people with an agenda to push.

Chelmsford

It is...

I take it primary school education is your field then, Essex Tom? It's interesting that your reported experience does not tally with what my family members who are primary teachers or TAs think about the reformed National Curriculum, that puts excessive emphasis on tests.

"The intention is to restore the original purpose of setting out what all children should learn, focused on essential knowledge in key subjects in a way that embodies rigour and high standards. At the same time, schools will be given greater control over their wider school curriculum, and teachers the freedom to use their professionalism and expertise to support the progress of all children."

Essential knowledge

Neither of those things are associated with higher order learning. Acquisition of knowledge (rote learning) is at the bottom. Evaluation of concepts and synthesis of new ideas is at the very top. "

2013 the key is in the date..

Yes it is just one of my areas of excellence ....

North West

It is...

Essential knowledge

Neither of those things are associated with higher order learning. Acquisition of knowledge (rote learning) is at the bottom. Evaluation of concepts and synthesis of new ideas is at the very top.

2013 the key is in the date..

Yes it is just one of my areas of excellence ...."

2013 was the year the reforms were going through, for first teaching in September 2014. It hasn't changed since then.

Chelmsford

It is...

Essential knowledge

Neither of those things are associated with higher order learning. Acquisition of knowledge (rote learning) is at the bottom. Evaluation of concepts and synthesis of new ideas is at the very top. "

On re-reading I am sorry but your point is rambling nonsense.. if you have teachers or TAs who do not realise that critical thinking is at the heart of delivering the National Curriculum then I would avoid their schools like the Great Plague.. with all due respect here to you.. a little knowledge is a dangerous thing here and it appears that you have little knowledge.. stop embarrassing yourself.. it's cringeworthy.. take my word? No.. Speak to somebody who understands education.. yes..

Then begone with your tail between your legs..

North West

Essex Tom, I work in education and you know that perfectly well. I teach post 18. It's not that teachers of primary don't try to encourage and develop critical thinking, but that the curriculum is not designed to allow it to the extent we would like. Too much prescription on the texts that should be used/studied etc.

Go on, what's your role in education?

Chelmsford

"Essex Tom, I work in education and you know that perfectly well. I teach post 18. It's not that teachers of primary don't try to encourage and develop critical thinking, but that the curriculum is not designed to allow it to the extent we would like. Too much prescription on the texts that should be used/studied etc.

Go on, what's your role in education?"

If you work in education post 18 then I don't need to explain.. I will not spat with you but pleeeese. ..

I explained once and will not repeat...

It's really not that difficult to grasp.. look at the National Curry and how good or outstanding schools deliver it..

North West

"Essex Tom, I work in education and you know that perfectly well. I teach post 18. It's not that teachers of primary don't try to encourage and develop critical thinking, but that the curriculum is not designed to allow it to the extent we would like. Too much prescription on the texts that should be used/studied etc.

If you work in education post 18 then I don't need to explain.. I will not spat with you but pleeeese. ..

It's really not that difficult to grasp.. look at the National Curry and how good or outstanding schools deliver it..

"

Still keen to understand (in general terms) what your area of expertise is in this. Obviously you don't have to say anything at all, but it helps. Are you Michael Gove?

Chelmsford

Still keen to understand (in general terms) what your area of expertise is in this. Obviously you don't have to say anything at all, but it helps. Are you Michael Gove?"

No I am not.. but when he talked about the sherry drinkers running schools he nailed it..

North West

Still keen to understand (in general terms) what your area of expertise is in this. Obviously you don't have to say anything at all, but it helps. Are you Michael Gove?

No I am not.. but when he talked about the sherry drinkers running schools he nailed it.. "

Ofsted? It might help understand your perspective.

Chelmsford

No I am not.. but when he talked about the sherry drinkers running schools he nailed it..

Ofsted? It might help understand your perspective."

More Off Topic..

If you don't realise that Critical Thinking is at the heart of education then K doubt either your claims or understanding..

North West

More Off Topic..

If you don't realise that Critical Thinking is at the heart of education then K doubt either your claims or understanding..

"

Obviously critical thinking is at the heart of education. Practitioners know that. Michael Gove, who's personal outlook drove the reforms of 2013/14, did not and does not understand that. I can assure you that many students arriving at uni have no clue about how to assess the validity of sources or how to seek suitable information. They expect to be told, to the chapter/page, where to find info. They have to be reorientated entirely, unfortunately. The more didactical a system my students come from, the harder it is (and I deal with students from across the world).

Chelmsford

More Off Topic..

Obviously critical thinking is at the heart of education. Practitioners know that. Michael Gove, who's personal outlook drove the reforms of 2013/14, did not and does not understand that. I can assure you that many students arriving at uni have no clue about how to assess the validity of sources or how to seek suitable information. They expect to be told, to the chapter/page, where to find info. They have to be reorientated entirely, unfortunately. The more didactical a system my students come from, the harder it is (and I deal with students from across the world)."

Thank you.. read you first sentence... Read your first sentence.. read your first sentence..

You agree obs..

Good night Vienna...

More Off Topic..

Obviously critical thinking is at the heart of education. Practitioners know that. Michael Gove, who's personal outlook drove the reforms of 2013/14, did not and does not understand that. I can assure you that many students arriving at uni have no clue about how to assess the validity of sources or how to seek suitable information. They expect to be told, to the chapter/page, where to find info. They have to be reorientated entirely, unfortunately. The more didactical a system my students come from, the harder it is (and I deal with students from across the world)."

i find this even in the workplace wherr i train people that are chartered accountants (equivalent to masters level)

they dont want to do their own thinking or problem solving for anything .., always looking for something to be a written down process monkey see monkey do .,. what was the point in all that education

Chelmsford

Now thats a separate debate entirely...

North West

More Off Topic..

Obviously critical thinking is at the heart of education. Practitioners know that. Michael Gove, who's personal outlook drove the reforms of 2013/14, did not and does not understand that. I can assure you that many students arriving at uni have no clue about how to assess the validity of sources or how to seek suitable information. They expect to be told, to the chapter/page, where to find info. They have to be reorientated entirely, unfortunately. The more didactical a system my students come from, the harder it is (and I deal with students from across the world).

Thank you.. read you first sentence... Read your first sentence.. read your first sentence..

You agree obs..

Good night Vienna... "

Tom, any education professional worth their salt would agree that the ability to think critically and independently is the entire purpose of education. I don't think any professional would disagree. What IS the case is that the curriculum and especially, the way it is assessed (by single, summative final exam), does not promote the practice of critical thinking.

Assessment needs to be reformed entirely.

Manchester

More Off Topic..

i find this even in the workplace wherr i train people that are chartered accountants (equivalent to masters level)

they dont want to do their own thinking or problem solving for anything .., always looking for something to be a written down process monkey see monkey do .,. what was the point in all that education "

Unfortunately people are no longer taught how to think, they are taught what to think. Scary stuff.

More Off Topic..

You agree obs..

Good night Vienna...

Tom, any education professional worth their salt would agree that the ability to think critically and independently is the entire purpose of education. I don't think any professional would disagree. What IS the case is that the curriculum and especially, the way it is assessed (by single, summative final exam), does not promote the practice of critical thinking.

Assessment needs to be reformed entirely."

And any educated professional should know your are born with critical thinking. People have the right to choose. Not what a " Educated Professional" dictates.

North West

More Off Topic..

You agree obs..

Good night Vienna...

And any educated professional should know your are born with critical thinking. People have the right to choose. Not what a " Educated Professional" dictates."

When success in life is measured only by passing a small set of exams, on a single day, you stifle the ability for the curriculum to allow freedom of thought. That's what happens when students study a curriculum for 2yrs or more but then sit one or two 1.5hr exams only. Passing those exams is your ticket to college or university. High stakes, narrow focus.

Chelmsford

More Off Topic..

You agree obs..

Good night Vienna...

And any educated professional should know your are born with critical thinking. People have the right to choose. Not what a " Educated Professional" dictates."

I totally agree ... Although we can nurture those skills...

And what fascinates me on here that some of those commited to critical thinking are the least transient in their views.. unaccepting of other opinions.. often blinded by the science gods and often incapable of critical thinking themselves..

Just saying...

More Off Topic..

You agree obs..

Good night Vienna...

And any educated professional should know your are born with critical thinking. People have the right to choose. Not what a " Educated Professional" dictates.

I totally agree ... Although we can nurture those skills...

And what fascinates me on here that some of those commited to critical thinking are the least transient in their views.. unaccepting of other opinions.. often blinded by the science gods and often incapable of critical thinking themselves..

Just saying..."

or they have critically appraised the source of the other opinion and then discarded it

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

Stopped watching and listening to the news in lockdown 1.0 my life is so much better, ignorance is bliss.

Panic sells! Media needs a crisis to function and make bank. Feels like the pandemic has given them an excuse to feel relevant again. Wasn’t so long ago there was talking of demonetising the BBC and now they’re more watched and relevant than ever. Not worth worrying about OP! "

That is right, those headlines sells more and it gets more tv views for them.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

I've noticed since the start of Covid a huge drop off in quality of media output, even from previously reliable sources.

Feels like too many journalists just dialling it in from home rather than going out to get real stories.

The daily media questions to the number 10 briefing are beyond embarrassing.

Manchester

"I've noticed since the start of Covid a huge drop off in quality of media output, even from previously reliable sources.

Feels like too many journalists just dialling it in from home rather than going out to get real stories.

The daily media questions to the number 10 briefing are beyond embarrassing. "

Haha! The absolute worst one I heard was...

“Will the government take responsibility for an elderly person who dies after seeing their family at Christmas?”

This was just before Christmas when they were pushing for Boris to cancel it.

That worked so they then pushed for the schools to be shut and... here we are, still shut and people still believing all this fear they are being fed from the media. Unfortunately the government is led by opinion polls and it appears whoever takes part in these opinion polls is watching far too much news.

But they are only reporting what’s going on?? Hmmmmmmm Does anybody wonder if its in the media’s best interest to keep this fear up? everyone at home terrified, checking the news for updates on the next catastrophe. Which ICU doctor to interview next? I bet the news have never had such a big, captive (being the right word as we are in lockdown) audience. Must do wonders for their ratings.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"I've noticed since the start of Covid a huge drop off in quality of media output, even from previously reliable sources.

“Will the government take responsibility for an elderly person who dies after seeing their family at Christmas?”

That worked so they then pushed for the schools to be shut and... here we are, still shut and people still believing all this fear they are being fed from the media. Unfortunately the government is led by opinion polls and it appears whoever takes part in these opinion polls is watching far too much news.

But they are only reporting what’s going on?? Hmmmmmmm Does anybody wonder if its in the media’s best interest to keep this fear up? everyone at home terrified, checking the news for updates on the next catastrophe. Which ICU doctor to interview next? I bet the news have never had such a big, captive (being the right word as we are in lockdown) audience. Must do wonders for their ratings. "

I used to think Laura kunesburg was quite sensible but good grief her questions are like a five year olds

Manchester

But they are only reporting what’s going on?? Hmmmmmmm Does anybody wonder if its in the media’s best interest to keep this fear up? everyone at home terrified, checking the news for updates on the next catastrophe. Which ICU doctor to interview next? I bet the news have never had such a big, captive (being the right word as we are in lockdown) audience. Must do wonders for their ratings.

I used to think Laura kunesburg was quite sensible but good grief her questions are like a five year olds "

Absolutely pathetic, can you believe she earns £290,000 pound a year? Yep. We pay for that shite.

I used to think Laura kunesburg was quite sensible but good grief her questions are like a five year olds

Absolutely pathetic, can you believe she earns £290,000 pound a year? Yep. We pay for that shite."

Laura Kuntsburger is worth every penny

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

The problem is that you just can't sell newspapers with some headlines.

You will also notice that they often write headlines with an 'OMG!' And when you read the story inside the OMG! becomes a 'Not quite the Headline you posted outside'.

But only people will believe it or not. People deserve what they fall for.

upton wirral

The problem is that you just can't sell newspapers with some headlines.

You will also notice that they often write headlines with an 'OMG!' And when you read the story inside the OMG! becomes a 'Not quite the Headline you posted outside'.

But only people will believe it or not. People deserve what they fall for. "

Remember many have brains and can think for themselves

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Yet I said:

People deserve what they fall for

By *aralewisCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

Who runs the media

What there agenda

Media is part of the weapons to change minds alter thinking and spread the word

I once hot told if you get told something enough ul start believing it

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Let's face it, its all that they have news wise so they have to hype it up.

Think social media is easily on a par when it comes to the scaremongering.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Let's face it, its all that they have news wise so they have to hype it up.

Think social media is easily on a par when it comes to the scaremongering. "

I treat social media as entertainment nothing more

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"Let's face it, its all that they have news wise so they have to hype it up.

Think social media is easily on a par when it comes to the scaremongering.

I treat social media as entertainment nothing more "

Other than Fab, we don't have any nor do we want it either.

News is now a product to be sold competitively. Modern age. That means whenever we have mass shootings, it has to be interespersed with crass and insensitive cut scenes to the victims’ final messages. It’s why protests and violence are sensationalised. It’s why absolutely outright dangerous people are given a platform to spout divisive vitriol. It’s why a sweet old man doing a little bit of good for his country, then passing away turned into a media shitstorm. It’s why suicide bombers are profiled and given front page attention. They are competing for our attention and it is non-stop. No wonder people are so polarised and won’t listen to each other’s views any more.

"News is now a product to be sold competitively. Modern age. That means whenever we have mass shootings, it has to be interespersed with crass and insensitive cut scenes to the victims’ final messages. It’s why protests and violence are sensationalised. It’s why absolutely outright dangerous people are given a platform to spout divisive vitriol. It’s why a sweet old man doing a little bit of good for his country, then passing away turned into a media shitstorm. It’s why suicide bombers are profiled and given front page attention. They are competing for our attention and it is non-stop. No wonder people are so polarised and won’t listen to each other’s views any more."

Very well said and very true.

Media generates fear,always has, always will. Read up on the culture of fear, it's quite fascinating.

"The people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_fear

P.s. all mainstream media is pretty darn vile.

Chelmsford

I am a pacifist...

With terms...

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

It's really ridiculous how they pounce from one thing to another.

Pre-lockdown. "We are being too slow to lockdown, scientists say we should lockdown, PM why are you not locking down..."

During lockdown. "When are we going to start unlocking. Cases have fallen, we need to lockdown. Scientists say we should stay locked down. Scientists say we could ease lockdown on this date. When can we start easing restrictions, can we go on holiday PM?".

"It's really ridiculous how they pounce from one thing to another.

Pre-lockdown. "We are being too slow to lockdown, scientists say we should lockdown, PM why are you not locking down..."

During lockdown. "When are we going to start unlocking. Cases have fallen, we need to lockdown. Scientists say we should stay locked down. Scientists say we could ease lockdown on this date. When can we start easing restrictions, can we go on holiday PM?". "

Personally after reading the forums on here suffering through constant lockdowns is mind boggling. I get it population density in the UK is the reason. Personally i can't do it.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

During lockdown. "When are we going to start unlocking. Cases have fallen, we need to lockdown. Scientists say we should stay locked down. Scientists say we could ease lockdown on this date. When can we start easing restrictions, can we go on holiday PM?".

Personally after reading the forums on here suffering through constant lockdowns is mind boggling. I get it population density in the UK is the reason. Personally i can't do it. "

I see what you're saying my American cousins but you've just got to look at the bigger picture here, lockdowns are the only thing that has worked in reducing the spread of the virus here. So just have to make the most of the shitty situation and hope the vaccines are the solution we all hope they are and we can be free again. Because I miss my Philly cheese steaks

Personally after reading the forums on here suffering through constant lockdowns is mind boggling. I get it population density in the UK is the reason. Personally i can't do it.

I see what you're saying my American cousins but you've just got to look at the bigger picture here, lockdowns are the only thing that has worked in reducing the spread of the virus here. So just have to make the most of the shitty situation and hope the vaccines are the solution we all hope they are and we can be free again. Because I miss my Philly cheese steaks "

I just glad everyday after watching people's opinions on here that how different countries can be. It's no offense but you are doing the right things.

I see what you're saying my American cousins but you've just got to look at the bigger picture here, lockdowns are the only thing that has worked in reducing the spread of the virus here. So just have to make the most of the shitty situation and hope the vaccines are the solution we all hope they are and we can be free again. Because I miss my Philly cheese steaks

I just glad everyday after watching people's opinions on here that how different countries can be. It's no offense but you are doing the right things."

Think I would rather spend another 18 months in Afghanistan then deal with what the UK enduring.

By *d6869Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen

"Yea the BBC is becoming worse than the Daily Mail! Huw Edwards and Laura Kungsberg the harbingers of doom!!!"

Pointless news reporters

By *d6869Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen

Nowhere near balanced

» Add a new message to this topic