FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Isolation on Entry... Quarantine Hotels

Isolation on Entry... Quarantine Hotels

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bi_Astray OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

There seems to be a small flaw in their plan... UK citizens ae the only people who will have to quarantine in a hotel, non citizens will be waved on through... It doesn't seem logical.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

I would hope non-citizens wouldn't be allowed entry at all? Let's hope so

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Another flaw is only direct flights have to quarantine, so you could fly here from South Africa via Schipol Airport and go straight home.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Non UK residents, from the 'red list' are banned from entering the country .

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Has it become official yet?

I travelled back last Saturday and wasn't required to isolate in a hotel.

Leeds

Not til 15th, 50 days after South African strain was found here

Leeds

"Non UK residents, from the 'red list' are banned from entering the country . "

I wonder if diplomats are excempt ?

Falkirk

"Not til 15th, 50 days after South African strain was found here"

Ah ok

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

We’re a fucking island and we still haven’t controlled our borders a year into this, unbelievable no wonder we’re still in this shit.

Roll on Easter when we can eat out for a £10

Leeds

Will one Easter Egg or two be a substantial meal ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The limited amount I've seen on this so far seems like it's full of holes...also did I hear right that the Gov (or we the tax payer) will be picking up the hotel Bill's?

Leeds

We will pay up front for block bookings for four months (I think £88 million) then hope enough people use the hotels and we can reclaim the money back from them at £80 per night.

chelmsford

"Non UK residents, from the 'red list' are banned from entering the country .

I wonder if diplomats are excempt ?"

Let's hope not Sally

Leeds

The government are doing their calculations for room bookings on the current numbers flying in but I think numbers will drop when peple realise they have to stay locked in a hotel for two weeks

Falkirk

"The limited amount I've seen on this so far seems like it's full of holes...also did I hear right that the Gov (or we the tax payer) will be picking up the hotel Bill's?"

As I was made aware by my company, if I chose to travel knowing there was a restriction in place then it would be myself that was liable for all hotel costs on arrival.

"The limited amount I've seen on this so far seems like it's full of holes...also did I hear right that the Gov (or we the tax payer) will be picking up the hotel Bill's?

As I was made aware by my company, if I chose to travel knowing there was a restriction in place then it would be myself that was liable for all hotel costs on arrival.

"

Your talking inbound to uk?

Falkirk

"The limited amount I've seen on this so far seems like it's full of holes...also did I hear right that the Gov (or we the tax payer) will be picking up the hotel Bill's?

Your talking inbound to uk?"

Yes

Leeds

"if I chose to travel knowing there was a restriction in place then it would be myself that was liable for all hotel costs on arrival.

"

Yes but the government would already have prepaid for your room and all the others in the hotel

Leeds

So if some rooms are empty the government is wasting money

Your talking inbound to uk?

Yes "

Maybe I misheard in sky.. will wait until I can catch up later

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"Will one Easter Egg or two be a substantial meal ?"

Two normal size one’s or just one of those big nasty Thornton’s ones that gain you 2lb just looking at them

Falkirk

"if I chose to travel knowing there was a restriction in place then it would be myself that was liable for all hotel costs on arrival.

Yes but the government would already have prepaid for your room and all the others in the hotel "

Well thats not much of a deterrent then like you said.

Yes but the government would already have prepaid for your room and all the others in the hotel "

I wonder if china,Australia and many other countries are doing this...I know Thailand wasn't.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes but the government would already have prepaid for your room and all the others in the hotel

I wonder if china,Australia and many other countries are doing this...I know Thailand wasn't."

In Australia, initially state governments paid (returning citizens only, overseas travel is heavily restricted). But some stopped, putting undue pressure on other states, so now it's all user pays.

Plymouth

"Non UK residents, from the 'red list' are banned from entering the country . "

Yes, and the Prime Ministers Father showed us all how easy it is to circumvent those restrictions when he took indirect flights to Greece in 2020... We all know you can simply fly via another country if you are determined to avoid any restrictions in place.

Manchester (she/her)

Yes, and the Prime Ministers Father showed us all how easy it is to circumvent those restrictions when he took indirect flights to Greece in 2020... We all know you can simply fly via another country if you are determined to avoid any restrictions in place. "

Hopefully they'll do something like what the US do. "Please give us your location for the last fourteen days, under penalty of criminal prosecution"

Yes, and the Prime Ministers Father showed us all how easy it is to circumvent those restrictions when he took indirect flights to Greece in 2020... We all know you can simply fly via another country if you are determined to avoid any restrictions in place.

Hopefully they'll do something like what the US do. "Please give us your location for the last fourteen days, under penalty of criminal prosecution""

They don't ask that when you enter the USA.

Manchester (she/her)

Hopefully they'll do something like what the US do. "Please give us your location for the last fourteen days, under penalty of criminal prosecution"

They don't ask that when you enter the USA. "

Don't they? I know - a friend went there - they barred you if you'd been in Europe the last fourteen days. Last I heard.

But even if they don't, it's possible, it's not insurmountable.

chelmsford

Hopefully they'll do something like what the US do. "Please give us your location for the last fourteen days, under penalty of criminal prosecution""

Yes, hopefully

surely if we expect an hotel to be used to quarantine arriving passengers then the hotel should be paid for all their rooms to be booked by the government.

Or do some of the critics of this idea think we should be mixing quarantined guests with other guests, if not do they expect hotels to just absorb the cost of unused rooms.

They don't ask that when you enter the USA.

Don't they? I know - a friend went there - they barred you if you'd been in Europe the last fourteen days. Last I heard.

But even if they don't, it's possible, it's not insurmountable."

Ah yes they do check re the ban on who can currently enter.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

I expect people to follow the law when arriving back in to the country. It really is that simple!

"Government should pay for unused rooms, government booking rooms for people, government forced quarantine at tax payers cost"

Ridiculous...

Do yourself a favour and have some personal responsibility. It really is that simple!

Manchester (she/her)

"I expect people to follow the law when arriving back in to the country. It really is that simple!

"Government should pay for unused rooms, government booking rooms for people, government forced quarantine at tax payers cost"

Ridiculous...

Do yourself a favour and have some personal responsibility. It really is that simple!"

Personal responsibility has clearly not worked in containing the spread.

So now what?

"surely if we expect an hotel to be used to quarantine arriving passengers then the hotel should be paid for all their rooms to be booked by the government.

Or do some of the critics of this idea think we should be mixing quarantined guests with other guests, if not do they expect hotels to just absorb the cost of unused rooms."

Definitely. I'd imagine it's a logistical nightmare and hence why it can't happen overnight..

Leeds

[Removed by poster at 05/02/21 10:12:41]

Plymouth

"I expect people to follow the law when arriving back in to the country. It really is that simple!

Ridiculous...

Do yourself a favour and have some personal responsibility. It really is that simple!"

If it were that simple why are we where we are?

If everyone had your impeccable levels of self control then maybe it would be that simple, but it simply isn't.

And that is why we vote in governments isn't it? To make these decisions for us en masse for the greater good.

It's just a pity that after years of austerity, the chancers know there are substantially less officials to deal with transgressions, add in the rock bottom levels of trust in politicians and no one knows who to believe.

One of the few guarantees in life is whatever systems you or anyone else puts into place, someone somewhere will take a dislike to it and find a way to work that system for their own gain... Be that the tax dodging 1% or the career benefit claimer or the lock down and quarantine avoiding traveller.

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

Seems yet another thing for them to completely balls up

Plymouth

"surely if we expect an hotel to be used to quarantine arriving passengers then the hotel should be paid for all their rooms to be booked by the government.

Or do some of the critics of this idea think we should be mixing quarantined guests with other guests, if not do they expect hotels to just absorb the cost of unused rooms.

Definitely. I'd imagine it's a logistical nightmare and hence why it can't happen overnight.."

Hong Kong, a small city state had 71.5 million arrivals in 2019, Heathrow, main hub for UK had 80.9 million, Hong Kong has been locked down since March 2020. quarantine now up to 3 weeks in a hotel room. room service only. previously, before hotel requirement, you had a covid test on arrival, and then waited in the baggage area for a result. if negative, two weeks at home with a gps tag. then it went to 2 weeks hotel, then to 3. But the UK as one of the moist wealthy, forward thinking nations with all the bests scientists, and Boris, and Hancock are still 11 months on planning to bring something in, in a few weeks time...

Definitely. I'd imagine it's a logistical nightmare and hence why it can't happen overnight..

Hong Kong, a small city state had 71.5 million arrivals in 2019, Heathrow, main hub for UK had 80.9 million, Hong Kong has been locked down since March 2020. quarantine now up to 3 weeks in a hotel room. room service only. previously, before hotel requirement, you had a covid test on arrival, and then waited in the baggage area for a result. if negative, two weeks at home with a gps tag. then it went to 2 weeks hotel, then to 3. But the UK as one of the moist wealthy, forward thinking nations with all the bests scientists, and Boris, and Hancock are still 11 months on planning to bring something in, in a few weeks time... "

You are presumably aware that covid is already in this country, right?

Manchester (she/her)

Hong Kong, a small city state had 71.5 million arrivals in 2019, Heathrow, main hub for UK had 80.9 million, Hong Kong has been locked down since March 2020. quarantine now up to 3 weeks in a hotel room. room service only. previously, before hotel requirement, you had a covid test on arrival, and then waited in the baggage area for a result. if negative, two weeks at home with a gps tag. then it went to 2 weeks hotel, then to 3. But the UK as one of the moist wealthy, forward thinking nations with all the bests scientists, and Boris, and Hancock are still 11 months on planning to bring something in, in a few weeks time...

You are presumably aware that covid is already in this country, right?"

Sure. But we can limit the introduction of new variants.

It doesn't mean other measures aren't or shouldn't be used. It's not like, Covid hotels, lockdown over mass orgy time.

here

Ridiculous...

Do yourself a favour and have some personal responsibility. It really is that simple!

If everyone had your impeccable levels of self control then maybe it would be that simple, but it simply isn't.

And that is why we vote in governments isn't it? To make these decisions for us en masse for the greater good.

It's just a pity that after years of austerity, the chancers know there are substantially less officials to deal with transgressions, add in the rock bottom levels of trust in politicians and no one knows who to believe.

One of the few guarantees in life is whatever systems you or anyone else puts into place, someone somewhere will take a dislike to it and find a way to work that system for their own gain... Be that the tax dodging 1% or the career benefit claimer or the lock down and quarantine avoiding traveller.

"

... very good, but all the arrivals have to do is isolate for 10 days, it really is that simple. There is no excuse to ignore what is being asked.

Manchester (she/her)

Ridiculous...

... very good, but all the arrivals have to do is isolate for 10 days, it really is that simple. There is no excuse to ignore what is being asked.

"

And yet we have data showing that this is not done at sufficient levels to protect the community.

Personal responsibility is great. I'm all for it. But when it fails we need backup. It's failed.

here

Ridiculous...

And yet we have data showing that this is not done at sufficient levels to protect the community.

Personal responsibility is great. I'm all for it. But when it fails we need backup. It's failed."

This is a great disappointment, and an indictment of the "I'm all right jack" attitude that is spreading, like a virus, through society.

Manchester (she/her)

Ridiculous...

Personal responsibility is great. I'm all for it. But when it fails we need backup. It's failed.

This is a great disappointment, and an indictment of the "I'm all right jack" attitude that is spreading, like a virus, through society."

We agree.

By *rman82Man  over a year ago

Manchester

It doesn't mean other measures aren't or shouldn't be used. It's not like, Covid hotels, lockdown over mass orgy time."

Would we not just get our own ‘new variants’? I think people forget that viruses mutate, its basic stuff and that we are all taught about in school. They mutate to survive, it’s what they do and it would happen regardless.

Manchester (she/her)

It doesn't mean other measures aren't or shouldn't be used. It's not like, Covid hotels, lockdown over mass orgy time.

Would we not just get our own ‘new variants’? I think people forget that viruses mutate, its basic stuff and that we are all taught about in school. They mutate to survive, it’s what they do and it would happen regardless."

They can only mutate if they can spread. If we stop new versions being introduced and eliminate (a tall order but not impossible) then they will not mutate in the UK. And they will be stopped at the border.

This is how we end lockdown - forever.

Manchester

Would we not just get our own ‘new variants’? I think people forget that viruses mutate, its basic stuff and that we are all taught about in school. They mutate to survive, it’s what they do and it would happen regardless.

They can only mutate if they can spread. If we stop new versions being introduced and eliminate (a tall order but not impossible) then they will not mutate in the UK. And they will be stopped at the border.

This is how we end lockdown - forever."

And we keep are borders shut forever too presumably?

Manchester

*our!! Not that I can pull myself on typos but that was a bad one!

Manchester (she/her)

"*our!! Not that I can pull myself on typos but that was a bad one!"

Until the rest of the world gets its shit together.

Unless that happens, we're in an arms race with the mutating virus - as you correctly observe.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

why so surprised?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"We’re a fucking island and we still haven’t controlled our borders a year into this, unbelievable no wonder we’re still in this shit.

Roll on Easter when we can eat out for a £10 "

Manchester

"*our!! Not that I can pull myself on typos but that was a bad one!

Unless that happens, we're in an arms race with the mutating virus - as you correctly observe."

I tend to disagree, I think the cost of closing our borders is much greater than the risk of this disease. Just like the cost of lockdowns are... unfortunately it’s that bigger picture again... plus an irrational fear of Covid 19

Manchester (she/her)

Unless that happens, we're in an arms race with the mutating virus - as you correctly observe.

I tend to disagree, I think the cost of closing our borders is much greater than the risk of this disease. Just like the cost of lockdowns are... unfortunately it’s that bigger picture again... plus an irrational fear of Covid 19"

OK.

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

I tend to disagree, I think the cost of closing our borders is much greater than the risk of this disease. Just like the cost of lockdowns are... unfortunately it’s that bigger picture again... plus an irrational fear of Covid 19"

“Irrational” is purely opinion and subjective though.

Manchester

I tend to disagree, I think the cost of closing our borders is much greater than the risk of this disease. Just like the cost of lockdowns are... unfortunately it’s that bigger picture again... plus an irrational fear of Covid 19

"

It sure is. It does have 99.8% survival rate for the under 70s. It’s killed 388 people under 60 and each of them had underlying medical conditions. We also don’t know if it’s that what killed them, that’s people that have died within 28 days of a positive test, which doesn’t actually mean anything. Even for the over 70s the survival rate is 95% and that’s without medical intervention. Yes it’s bad but closing our borders forever and locking everybody up seems a little bit drastic to me.

Plymouth

Ridiculous...

This is a great disappointment, and an indictment of the "I'm all right jack" attitude that is spreading, like a virus, through society."

That alright Jack attitude has always existed, it's nothing new, and trying to paint it as some sort of modern problem is choosing to look at the past with rose tinted glasses...

Throughout WW2 for instance their were black marketeers, people who chose to carry on partying through the blitz, those that needed air raid wardens to enforce their blackout, crimes were still committed. It's nothing new, it's not spreading through society like a virus, because it is already there, always has been and probably always will be.

Manchester (she/her)

Ridiculous...

This is a great disappointment, and an indictment of the "I'm all right jack" attitude that is spreading, like a virus, through society.

That alright Jack attitude has always existed, it's nothing new, and trying to paint it as some sort of modern problem is choosing to look at the past with rose tinted glasses...

Throughout WW2 for instance their were black marketeers, people who chose to carry on partying through the blitz, those that needed air raid wardens to enforce their blackout, crimes were still committed. It's nothing new, it's not spreading through society like a virus, because it is already there, always has been and probably always will be. "

Yes. For sure

North West

It sure is. It does have 99.8% survival rate for the under 70s. It’s killed 388 people under 60 and each of them had underlying medical conditions. We also don’t know if it’s that what killed them, that’s people that have died within 28 days of a positive test, which doesn’t actually mean anything. Even for the over 70s the survival rate is 95% and that’s without medical intervention. Yes it’s bad but closing our borders forever and locking everybody up seems a little bit drastic to me."

I don’t think my fear of covid is irrational when my 30 odd year old colleague is dead (no health issues),

My 50 year old dad (again, no health issues) was released from hospital this week. Also vaccinated over 3 weeks ago.

Both purely down to covid

When a “under lying health issue” or “comorbidity” includes something as small as “had eczema as a kid” that term is really pointless. Used purposely fo make people sound like they are on deaths door and this just killed them off.

There’s lots of otherwise healthy people really poorly.

By *exleyboyMan  over a year ago

Erith

[Removed by poster at 05/02/21 15:52:12]

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Another flaw is only direct flights have to quarantine, so you could fly here from South Africa via Schipol Airport and go straight home. "

Covid is going to keep getting worse unless we stop it now. Zero covid is the only possible remaining strategy, as with the world wide number of infections it is now getting opportunity to mutate faster than we can keep up. Closing borders of ALL countries at least means each country only has to keep up with its own mutations, not everybody elses as well.

We can do it now, or we can do it later - because as this gets worse, actions that were once unthinkable will become not just thinkable, but what people are clamouring for.

Stupid people are still saying "only the over 60s are dying". But covid is being caught and passed on by every age group, from 1 to 100 years. Millions of cases means millions of chances to mutate in millions of different directions - never before in the history of mankind has there been such a world wide, fast moving, rapidly updating pathogen. We are getting more infectious strains, it is only a matter of time before we get more lethal strains. People in other age groups WILL start dying, it is not a question of if, it is only a question of when.

So sooner or later we are going to have total travel bans. Only UK citizens will be allowed to enter the country, and strictly for the purpose of repatriation. Any UK citizens that choose to leave the country after some particular point will not be allowed back. Non-citizens will not be allowed into the country.

The repatriated citizens will be escorted to airport hotels that will be surrounded by barbed wire and armed guards. There will be no "advisory quarantine" at home.

I realise that many are going to deride me as some kind of Mad Max fantasist. Some of you though with longer memories, that read the stuff I was posting twelve months ago, will recognise that the situation now is dire and that increasingly desperate measures will become necessary.

A year ago everyone, including myself, thought that covid could be gone in a year. That there might be a lot of casualties, that some things about our way of life would change. But ultimately that the world would be okay.

With the high mutation rate and the phenomenal case numbers, I now believe that there is an existential danger to civilization. We can either hit covid very hard now, at high cost in both lives and economy. Or we can keep up the half hearted wishy washy measures and hoping it will go away, with an eventual ultimate cost in lives and total destruction of society.

Erith

I wonder if diplomats are excempt ?"

Yes they are along with the aircrew.

Leeds

"

My 50 year old dad (no health issues) was released from hospital this week. Also vaccinated over 3 weeks ago.

purely down to covid :-

"

Did he have the Pfizer ? The BBC said this week that no one had been hospitalised with Covid over three weeks after having the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine.

North West

"

My 50 year old dad (no health issues) was released from hospital this week. Also vaccinated over 3 weeks ago.

purely down to covid :-

Did he have the Pfizer ? The BBC said this week that no one had been hospitalised with Covid over three weeks after having the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine. "

Yeah Pfizer. Thankfully only an overnight A&E trip so wouldn’t count as admitted but still scary enough

My mums got it now (not vaccinated) and is much better than my dad was.

Crazy how it is so unpredictable! Xx

Erith

Well I wonder who is getting the hotel Loyalty points on 28000 room nights??

here

Ridiculous...

Throughout WW2 for instance their were black marketeers, people who chose to carry on partying through the blitz, those that needed air raid wardens to enforce their blackout, crimes were still committed. It's nothing new, it's not spreading through society like a virus, because it is already there, always has been and probably always will be. "

Maybe, but then it still doesn’t excuse the lack of responsibility of those who know what they are being asked to do, but choose not to.

I’m wondering what’s going to happen if the hotels around the points of entry say, “we would rather not be included in your enforced quarantine plans” - similar attitude wouldn’t you agree?

It's all smoke and mirrors bullshit, hundreds come in on boats. Sent to holding camps but free to go into town, you couldn't make it up. Oh sorry they have, and people still believe the government bullshit.

Manchester (she/her)

Ridiculous...

Throughout WW2 for instance their were black marketeers, people who chose to carry on partying through the blitz, those that needed air raid wardens to enforce their blackout, crimes were still committed. It's nothing new, it's not spreading through society like a virus, because it is already there, always has been and probably always will be.

Maybe, but then it still doesn’t excuse the lack of responsibility of those who know what they are being asked to do, but choose not to.

I’m wondering what’s going to happen if the hotels around the points of entry say, “we would rather not be included in your enforced quarantine plans” - similar attitude wouldn’t you agree?"

Government can requisition resources. Tis the law.

When personal responsibility fails, as it so manifestly has, then what?

here

Ridiculous...

I’m wondering what’s going to happen if the hotels around the points of entry say, “we would rather not be included in your enforced quarantine plans” - similar attitude wouldn’t you agree?

Government can requisition resources. Tis the law.

When personal responsibility fails, as it so manifestly has, then what?"

Electronic tagging

Oh the drama of it all

"

Electronic tagging "

Just had a look at the costs of that and at £13.14 per day it's something to look at.

But when you compare the cost of it in the USA at £1.22 per day...is someone having our eyes out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19692306

here

"

Electronic tagging

Just had a look at the costs of that and at £13.14 per day it's something to look at.

But when you compare the cost of it in the USA at £1.22 per day...is someone having our eyes out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19692306"

Either economies of scale or the specific providers ... I wonder which it will be

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"Not til 15th, 50 days after South African strain was found here"

Good to see Boris is acting fast and decisively

Manchester (she/her)

"Not til 15th, 50 days after South African strain was found here

Good to see Boris is acting fast and decisively "

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

[Removed by poster at 05/02/21 22:46:25]

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

This is how we end lockdown - forever."

Though that also means we have to lockdown boarders forever too

Stockport

This is how we end lockdown - forever.

Though that also means we have to lockdown boarders forever too "

No, we just have to wait until the countries where it has been let run wild hit 95% fatalities. Then whichever country that is left in any sort of organised condition will be able to take whatever the hell they want from wherever they can manage to get to.

Hint - on current showing it's not going to be the United Kingdom. Smart money at the bookies would be placed on a pan-pacific federation being the world power from 2030 for the rest of the century. Mind you, there won't be any bookies shop left to collect your winnings from.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"

Electronic tagging

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19692306

Either economies of scale or the specific providers ... I wonder which it will be "

It would probably go up further in price here, as a contract like Testing and Tracing for £22 billion, will be handed to chums of millionaire tory politicians

By *alphy187Man  over a year ago

cambridge

I honestly don't see why anyone needs to travel in or out, apart from maybe to a funeral of a loved one or to be a carer. There is absolutely no need for any business travel, when all can be done over the internet. I wouldn't be surprised to see the government sued for negligence over thousands of deaths.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

A really good article in the grauniad this morning...

For those who whine about why it is that south Korea have done such a much better job than we have... I recommend a read and reflection on whether our population would support such an approach or even close to it...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/05/south-korea-covid-quarantine-britain-tested-positive

I've cut and paste some it it below... What's notable is the enforcement of it, the shared facility and the recognition that we are doing it for the benefit of others...

The UK government’s decision to require overseas arrivals from “high risk” countries to self-isolate in hotels has triggered a debate on the effectiveness of enforced quarantine in government-run facilities. Some have balked at its cost and restrictive character while others have dismissed the measure as half-baked and too little, too late. My experience in a quarantine facility for Covid-19 patients in South Korea might be illuminating in this regard.

Last November, I flew into South Korea to spend a holiday with my family. To sum up the complicated arrival process at Seoul: I was required to download a Covid-19 tracking app, had my temperature checked and was whisked away by pre-approved taxis to the public clinic nearest to my home to take a PCR test. I was then required to self-isolate for more than two weeks at home.

Once at home, I had minimal contact with my parents, both of whom wore masks the entire time and who quickly indicated that I should stay in my room. The test results came back the next morning and I was surprised to find out that I was positive, since I had no symptoms. What shocked me was that officials from the local district’s public health service then came to take me to a government facility. Not long after I was taken away, more officials in full PPE came to disinfect our apartment, check on my parents and tell them to get tested.

Self-quarantining at home if you have Covid-19, no matter how mild the symptoms, is not an option in Korea. Thus began my 14-day stay in a youth hostel in the heart of Seoul that had been converted to a quarantine facility for mildly symptomatic Covid-19 patients. This building once housed Korea’s intelligence agency under the military dictatorship where countless people were tortured, which was hardly uplifting. I was in a medium-sized dorm room with a television, a bathroom and a kettle. To my dismay, I had to share it with three other Covid patients, all of whom were asymptomatic. The doctors assured me that there was little to no possibility that asymptomatic patients could cross-infect one another.

For 14 days, no one could leave their rooms. We were allowed to open the door only to pick up food delivered to us or to put out our rubbish, which we had to treat with disinfectant. Anyone who attempted to get out was sternly warned through the public address system. We were reminded daily that breaking or bending quarantine rules could result in prosecution.

Why is South Korea beating coronavirus? Its citizens hold the state to account | Tae Hoon Kim

Despite these restrictions, however, two things stood out. First was the level of service on offer. Every patient was provided with a box of “essentials” such as body wash, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, shaving kits, two types of disinfectant, masks, towels and slippers. The food was equally good, better than the most expensive Korean restaurants I had visited in London. These were all provided free for Korean citizens. The nurses and doctors at the facility would check on each patient twice daily, communicating via an app, asking us to measure our blood pressure and temperature and whether we needed medicine. They even offered counselling services to those who were mentally exhausted

"I honestly don't see why anyone needs to travel in or out, apart from maybe to a funeral of a loved one or to be a carer. There is absolutely no need for any business travel, when all can be done over the internet. I wouldn't be surprised to see the government sued for negligence over thousands of deaths."

What are you saying? Those influencers must BE in Dubai to create ESSENTIAL content of their teas and protein shakes with their bum out by the pool for all of us!!! How dare you LOL

"A really good article in the grauniad this morning...

For those who whine about why it is that south Korea have done such a much better job than we have... I recommend a read and reflection on whether our population would support such an approach or even close to it...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/05/south-korea-covid-quarantine-britain-tested-positive

I've cut and paste some it it below... What's notable is the enforcement of it, the shared facility and the recognition that we are doing it for the benefit of others...

The UK government’s decision to require overseas arrivals from “high risk” countries to self-isolate in hotels has triggered a debate on the effectiveness of enforced quarantine in government-run facilities. Some have balked at its cost and restrictive character while others have dismissed the measure as half-baked and too little, too late. My experience in a quarantine facility for Covid-19 patients in South Korea might be illuminating in this regard.

Last November, I flew into South Korea to spend a holiday with my family. To sum up the complicated arrival process at Seoul: I was required to download a Covid-19 tracking app, had my temperature checked and was whisked away by pre-approved taxis to the public clinic nearest to my home to take a PCR test. I was then required to self-isolate for more than two weeks at home.

Once at home, I had minimal contact with my parents, both of whom wore masks the entire time and who quickly indicated that I should stay in my room. The test results came back the next morning and I was surprised to find out that I was positive, since I had no symptoms. What shocked me was that officials from the local district’s public health service then came to take me to a government facility. Not long after I was taken away, more officials in full PPE came to disinfect our apartment, check on my parents and tell them to get tested.

Self-quarantining at home if you have Covid-19, no matter how mild the symptoms, is not an option in Korea. Thus began my 14-day stay in a youth hostel in the heart of Seoul that had been converted to a quarantine facility for mildly symptomatic Covid-19 patients. This building once housed Korea’s intelligence agency under the military dictatorship where countless people were tortured, which was hardly uplifting. I was in a medium-sized dorm room with a television, a bathroom and a kettle. To my dismay, I had to share it with three other Covid patients, all of whom were asymptomatic. The doctors assured me that there was little to no possibility that asymptomatic patients could cross-infect one another.

For 14 days, no one could leave their rooms. We were allowed to open the door only to pick up food delivered to us or to put out our rubbish, which we had to treat with disinfectant. Anyone who attempted to get out was sternly warned through the public address system. We were reminded daily that breaking or bending quarantine rules could result in prosecution.

Why is South Korea beating coronavirus? Its citizens hold the state to account | Tae Hoon Kim

Despite these restrictions, however, two things stood out. First was the level of service on offer. Every patient was provided with a box of “essentials” such as body wash, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, shaving kits, two types of disinfectant, masks, towels and slippers. The food was equally good, better than the most expensive Korean restaurants I had visited in London. These were all provided free for Korean citizens. The nurses and doctors at the facility would check on each patient twice daily, communicating via an app, asking us to measure our blood pressure and temperature and whether we needed medicine. They even offered counselling services to those who were mentally exhausted

"

Interesting article.

I think everyone else should be locked in a room for 14 days after travel. But not me. I am entitled to visit Spain for my egg & chips and getting pissed in the bars then come back and immediately go to the pub with my mates.

Tin town

"A really good article in the grauniad this morning...

Interesting article.

I think everyone else should be locked in a room for 14 days after travel. But not me. I am entitled to visit Spain for my egg & chips and getting pissed in the bars then come back and immediately go to the pub with my mates. "

Mmmm Spain... Cerveza, sol, playa... Who would have thought after this year of living like a monk we would get excited just at the image it conjures up.

On a serious note.. I'd be interested to understand the volume of air / sea arrivals in south Korea and how they compare with our own numbers. We seem to have an awful lot of essential travel going on. But I guess we are special.

Leeds

Not everyone flying into UK will have to go to the quarantine hotels

"Not everyone flying into UK will have to go to the quarantine hotels"

Nope there is a aussie bloke who hosts "the last leg" on channel 4.

He went home to oz for xmas and they had to get a stand in host as he had to go 2 weeks early to quarantine.

Last night he was on talking about watching the clapping for Capt Sir Tom...which he was watching it in Australia.

Now I'm not saying Australia is high risk atm but it just shows the difference in 2 countries handle of things...

Stockport

"Not everyone flying into UK will have to go to the quarantine hotels"

But they should have to. I don't care if it's the prime minister himself. Viruses don't give a flying fuck how important somebody thinks they are. It only takes exactly one person bringing a new strain into the country to totally destroy all the sacrifices made by everybody over the last twelve months.

Tin town

"Not everyone flying into UK will have to go to the quarantine hotels

But they should have to. I don't care if it's the prime minister himself. Viruses don't give a flying fuck how important somebody thinks they are. It only takes exactly one person bringing a new strain into the country to totally destroy all the sacrifices made by everybody over the last twelve months."

Sometimes you don't need to be a scientist do you?

Falkirk

But they should have to. I don't care if it's the prime minister himself. Viruses don't give a flying fuck how important somebody thinks they are. It only takes exactly one person bringing a new strain into the country to totally destroy all the sacrifices made by everybody over the last twelve months."

I will wait until the scientist's advise on the matter.

Until then I will continue to abide by the current legislation, and continue to travel for work.

Tin town

But they should have to. I don't care if it's the prime minister himself. Viruses don't give a flying fuck how important somebody thinks they are. It only takes exactly one person bringing a new strain into the country to totally destroy all the sacrifices made by everybody over the last twelve months.

Until then I will continue to abide by the current legislation, and continue to travel for work."

Trying to word this carefully as I'm trying to make a point and not pick a fight with you...

But...

The science says... (We know it says that because our policies follow the science) Air travel must be restricted because it spreads the infection. (especially when like the UK have made pretty much zero attempt to test pre flight and isolate post flight)

So.. If I want to fly to Greece to see the sun and return.... I can't do that because it is a risk of spreading the infection. But if I put a suit and a briefcase on and say I need to go to a business meeting... I can travel and it doesn't spread the infection.? I know there are many many loopholes in the rules and also that there is a balance, but we are after all in a national lockdown the purpose of which is to reduce the spread of infections. Well we either mean it or we don't...

The flaw is bigger, it's about passengers, flights are just one of the numerous was in and out. Similar restrictions should be made for these areas or it becomes irrelevant.

If it is true that only nationals need to isolate then for me it raises bigger questions. Why? What's the purpose behind this as it's no longer about viral spread?

Manchester (she/her)

"The flaw is bigger, it's about passengers, flights are just one of the numerous was in and out. Similar restrictions should be made for these areas or it becomes irrelevant.

If it is true that only nationals need to isolate then for me it raises bigger questions. Why? What's the purpose behind this as it's no longer about viral spread?"

Nationals must isolate, all others barred. (Unless they come in indirectly, because apparently the government haven't thought of that yet)

Leeds

Nationals must only isolate in the hotels if they are coming directly from a country on the travel ban list. Coming from other countries you can still get on the tube and go home to a shared house.

Tin town

"Nationals must only isolate in the hotels if they are coming directly from a country on the travel ban list. Coming from other countries you can still get on the tube and go home to a shared house. "

What could go wrong with that?

Manchester (she/her)

"Nationals must only isolate in the hotels if they are coming directly from a country on the travel ban list. Coming from other countries you can still get on the tube and go home to a shared house.

What could go wrong with that? "

All sorts. Variants of concern are also able to come in via other countries.

A plan with many flaws.

Stockport

"Nationals must only isolate in the hotels if they are coming directly from a country on the travel ban list. Coming from other countries you can still get on the tube and go home to a shared house. "

Exactly. Which is why the government plan is bollocks coming from a bunch of incompetent twats that have been responsible for over a hundred thousand deaths in this country.

The rule should be ZERO crossing the border unless absolutely totally unavoidable, and then FULL quarantine at point of entry, for EVERYBODY. Preferable with armed guards around the quarantine building.

Leeds

During PM questions on Wednesday Boris repeatedly said we have some of the most stringent quarantine regimes in the world, when it is totally apparent we don't eg Australia, South Korea, Hong Kong.

Manchester (she/her)

"During PM questions on Wednesday Boris repeatedly said we have some of the most stringent quarantine regimes in the world, when it is totally apparent we don't eg Australia, South Korea, Hong Kong. "

"Nationals must only isolate in the hotels if they are coming directly from a country on the travel ban list. Coming from other countries you can still get on the tube and go home to a shared house.

What could go wrong with that? "

"During PM questions on Wednesday Boris repeatedly said we have some of the most stringent quarantine regimes in the world, when it is totally apparent we don't eg Australia, South Korea, Hong Kong. "

Well 4th ain't bad out of 195

The thing is most of the rhetoric in these forums are comments that are posted in such a way to dis the current government. This is the same in every other nation. Little rational and nothing that will change anything so I wonder what is their point?

"During PM questions on Wednesday Boris repeatedly said we have some of the most stringent quarantine regimes in the world, when it is totally apparent we don't eg Australia, South Korea, Hong Kong.

The thing is most of the rhetoric in these forums are comments that are posted in such a way to dis the current government. This is the same in every other nation. Little rational and nothing that will change anything so I wonder what is their point?"

Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan....aye the list goes on and we are a bloody long way down it..

Tin town

What did the opposition leader have to say about it?

Manchester (she/her)

"During PM questions on Wednesday Boris repeatedly said we have some of the most stringent quarantine regimes in the world, when it is totally apparent we don't eg Australia, South Korea, Hong Kong.

The thing is most of the rhetoric in these forums are comments that are posted in such a way to dis the current government. This is the same in every other nation. Little rational and nothing that will change anything so I wonder what is their point?"

Does it work? Is it serving us?

If it did I'd say so.

The thing is most of the rhetoric in these forums are comments that are posted in such a way to dis the current government. This is the same in every other nation. Little rational and nothing that will change anything so I wonder what is their point?

Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan....aye the list goes on and we are a bloody long way down it.."

Have you considered that they weren't Pratt's when it came to restrictions and they followed them unlike our covidiots that went about demonstrating, pulling down monuments, traveled to crowded beaches and went on holidays?

Guess none of this made any difference as to to spreading and causing the high number of deaths. Sadly what we have shown more than anything to those looking out our death rates is mostly... What idiots do they not think? Have friends in most places around the world and the perception in Brits are stupidly selfish people and the pandemic had highlighted that more than anything.

Manchester (she/her)

Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan....aye the list goes on and we are a bloody long way down it..

Have you considered that they weren't Pratt's when it came to restrictions and they followed them unlike our covidiots that went about demonstrating, pulling down monuments, traveled to crowded beaches and went on holidays?

Guess none of this made any difference as to to spreading and causing the high number of deaths. Sadly what we have shown more than anything to those looking out our death rates is mostly... What idiots do they not think? Have friends in most places around the world and the perception in Brits are stupidly selfish people and the pandemic had highlighted that more than anything."

What do statues, protests, or British beaches have to do with pandemic related border control?

Yes, tearing down a statue in Bristol definitely means that the British border policy was good. ... What?!

liverpool

Guess none of this made any difference as to to spreading and causing the high number of deaths. Sadly what we have shown more than anything to those looking out our death rates is mostly... What idiots do they not think? Have friends in most places around the world and the perception in Brits are stupidly selfish people and the pandemic had highlighted that more than anything.

What do statues, protests, or British beaches have to do with pandemic related border control?

Yes, tearing down a statue in Bristol definitely means that the British border policy was good. ... What?!"

Is there a correlation between a country full of covid idiots and the last general election?

Tin town

Yes, tearing down a statue in Bristol definitely means that the British border policy was good. ... What?!

Is there a correlation between a country full of covid idiots and the last general election?"

Not really a correlation so much as... Its the very same populace..

The Brits who voted in the referendum to brexit

The Brits who voted in the last democratic election for a Tory party to deliver Brexit

The Brits who ensure they keep their social distance, don't spread the infection and stay home apart from essential travel.

Guess none of this made any difference as to to spreading and causing the high number of deaths. Sadly what we have shown more than anything to those looking out our death rates is mostly... What idiots do they not think? Have friends in most places around the world and the perception in Brits are stupidly selfish people and the pandemic had highlighted that more than anything."

Every country has a percentage of covid idiots and the selfish. Our problem is the idiot running our country doesn't listen to the science...full stop.

liverpool

Is there a correlation between a country full of covid idiots and the last general election?

The Brits who voted in the last democratic election for a Tory party to deliver Brexit

The Brits who ensure they keep their social distance, don't spread the infection and stay home apart from essential travel.

"

Just found it quite interesting that we have a nation full of idiots apparent and a gmnt with an 80 seat majority.

Probably a coincidence

Just found it quite interesting that we have a nation full of idiots apparent and a gmnt with an 80 seat majority.

Probably a coincidence "

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

I’d have agreed with doing this hotel quarantine 12 months ago, seems fairly pointless now.

Can’t see that Australia has picked up more than the odd case of Covid of those doing hotel quarantine, and we all know that the most selfish idiots who pose the most risk will get around it somehow anyway, eg my dog is sick etc.

Falkirk

Until then I will continue to abide by the current legislation, and continue to travel for work.

Trying to word this carefully as I'm trying to make a point and not pick a fight with you...

But...

The science says... (We know it says that because our policies follow the science) Air travel must be restricted because it spreads the infection. (especially when like the UK have made pretty much zero attempt to test pre flight and isolate post flight)

So.. If I want to fly to Greece to see the sun and return.... I can't do that because it is a risk of spreading the infection. But if I put a suit and a briefcase on and say I need to go to a business meeting... I can travel and it doesn't spread the infection.? I know there are many many loopholes in the rules and also that there is a balance, but we are after all in a national lockdown the purpose of which is to reduce the spread of infections. Well we either mean it or we don't... "

Nobody is picking a fight. I see your point. I need to travel for work, and the current guidelines allow me to do so legally.

Unfortunately some may not agree with this, and demand that I stop immediately for the sake of humanity.

It's my job and my source of income, I'm not about to give that up if the current legislation allows me to continue.

Manchester (she/her)

"I’d have agreed with doing this hotel quarantine 12 months ago, seems fairly pointless now.

Can’t see that Australia has picked up more than the odd case of Covid of those doing hotel quarantine, and we all know that the most selfish idiots who pose the most risk will get around it somehow anyway, eg my dog is sick etc. "

As far as I can see, any policy which requires compulsory quarantine should allow for no excuses beyond extreme compassionate grounds.

Manchester (she/her)

Sorry you need to read the comments from the person whom I responded and not jump onto your assumptions that quickly. Get a life.

This place is getting worse and worse. "

Apologies, I thought this was an open forum and we were all entitled to post.

Leeds

"I thought this was an open forum and we were all entitled to post."

Of course that is true. Please don't be deterred from posting

"I thought this was an open forum and we were all entitled to post.

Of course that is true. Please don't be deterred from posting"

Too true

Tin town

Probably a coincidence "

I don't think it's accurate or fair to say we have a nation full of idiots. We have idiots... And we have people doing idiotic things.. There's no mileage in criticising every one all the time. We are in it together and have to make our way out of it together.

Both the government and many on this thread are missing the point here.

From the very first lockdown, the message on international travel was "do not travel unless absolutely necessary". There's been a lack of political will to change this guidance through enforcement eg banning flights, police enforcement at gates and now enforced quarantine.

As an island nation both we and non UK residents are reliant on mass transportation for international travel (mostly air travel, lesser degree ferries/channel tunnel)

Anything that makes it more "inconvenient" to travel in the midst of a pandemic presents an opportunity to reduce IMPORTED cases.

The prospect of hotel quarantine is a HUGE incentive for people to reconsider their travel plans. Anyone who had to make an "ESSENTIAL" trip would be willing to accept the extra cost/inconvenience of a hotel quarantine.

If they cannot accept the cost, then did they need to travel. Yes it appears to be unfairly restrictive on international air travellers who are less wealthy but on other hand how many of the "super rich" would be willing to slum it in an airport hotel for 10-14 days?

If you're doing nothing to suppress community transmission then the argument would be why bother limiting imported cases. However the UK government has been happy to introduce three national lockdowns to reduce community transmission.

Meanwhile the efforts to reduce IMPORTED cases have been extremely soft in comparison.

Better late than never is definitely my response to this. As UK aims to vaccinate itself out of lockdown and aims to re-open then it's even more important to limit imported cases. This would be true even if the South African/Brazil strains weren't around.

Went off on tangent there.

What I mean to say the "disincentive" effect of hotel quarantine is enough of a barrier to "non essential" travel than any of the "logistical" challenges mentioned in this thread.

Tin town

"Both the government and many on this thread are missing the point here.

From the very first lockdown, the message on international travel was "do not travel unless absolutely necessary". There's been a lack of political will to change this guidance through enforcement eg banning flights, police enforcement at gates and now enforced quarantine.

As an island nation both we and non UK residents are reliant on mass transportation for international travel (mostly air travel, lesser degree ferries/channel tunnel)

Anything that makes it more "inconvenient" to travel in the midst of a pandemic presents an opportunity to reduce IMPORTED cases.

The prospect of hotel quarantine is a HUGE incentive for people to reconsider their travel plans. Anyone who had to make an "ESSENTIAL" trip would be willing to accept the extra cost/inconvenience of a hotel quarantine.

If they cannot accept the cost, then did they need to travel. Yes it appears to be unfairly restrictive on international air travellers who are less wealthy but on other hand how many of the "super rich" would be willing to slum it in an airport hotel for 10-14 days?

If you're doing nothing to suppress community transmission then the argument would be why bother limiting imported cases. However the UK government has been happy to introduce three national lockdowns to reduce community transmission.

Meanwhile the efforts to reduce IMPORTED cases have been extremely soft in comparison.

Better late than never is definitely my response to this. As UK aims to vaccinate itself out of lockdown and aims to re-open then it's even more important to limit imported cases. This would be true even if the South African/Brazil strains weren't around.

"

Quite right. Not sure anyone is disagreeing with switching that tap off.

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

If your travel into the UK is essential then you don't need to isolate anyway. You can arrive and go straight to work. Will make it a lot easier for me when I have to visit the UK.

"If your travel into the UK is essential then you don't need to isolate anyway. You can arrive and go straight to work. Will make it a lot easier for me when I have to visit the UK."

Was this the "official" advice even in counties that were on the "red" list prior to lockdown?

Hauliers are an example of "essential" travellers however the mass testing showed that even with the new variant dominating the south east the prevalence of COVID in this group was low.

Something tells me that's not the case for business travellers who primary mode of international transport is by air and have close interaction with much higher numbers of people whilst abroad compared with a lone trucker hauling across the continent.

Tonbridge

"If your travel into the UK is essential then you don't need to isolate anyway. You can arrive and go straight to work. Will make it a lot easier for me when I have to visit the UK.

Was this the "official" advice even in counties that were on the "red" list prior to lockdown?

Hauliers are an example of "essential" travellers however the mass testing showed that even with the new variant dominating the south east the prevalence of COVID in this group was low.

Something tells me that's not the case for business travellers who primary mode of international transport is by air and have close interaction with much higher numbers of people whilst abroad compared with a lone trucker hauling across the continent.

"

The government has a list of trades and expertise that is exempt from isolation. It is shorter than it was. For instance journalists are no longer exempt.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules

Stockport

"If your travel into the UK is essential then you don't need to isolate anyway. You can arrive and go straight to work. Will make it a lot easier for me when I have to visit the UK."

Which you should not be able to. Quarantine should apply to everyone, otherwise it is just a sick joke at the expense of everyone who has been making sacrifices for twelve months.

If the plan really is that someone can say "essential work" and just walk through, then the government officials making that plan should be thrown in the sea. Because that is what they are doing to the people of the country who pay their wages.

Tonbridge

"If your travel into the UK is essential then you don't need to isolate anyway. You can arrive and go straight to work. Will make it a lot easier for me when I have to visit the UK.

Which you should not be able to. Quarantine should apply to everyone, otherwise it is just a sick joke at the expense of everyone who has been making sacrifices for twelve months.

If the plan really is that someone can say "essential work" and just walk through, then the government officials making that plan should be thrown in the sea. Because that is what they are doing to the people of the country who pay their wages."

So when a nuclear power station goes wrong and an expert is needed then he has to wait in a hotel for a couple of weeks before he can fix it.

chelmsford

Matt Hancock...anyone lying on their PLF and trying to conceal that they have been to a country, on the red list, in the 10 days before arrival in the UK, will face a prison sentence of up to 10 years. £10,000 fine for failure to quarantine in hotel, if required.

chelmsford

Sounds like Scotland are to quarantine arrivals from all countries , starting Monday. All arrivals to have 2 tests, day 2 and day 8.

Stockport

Matt Hancock...anyone lying on their PLF and trying to conceal that they have been to a country, on the red list, in the 10 days before arrival in the UK, will face a prison sentence of up to 10 years. £10,000 fine for failure to quarantine in hotel, if required."

Unless they are a friend or relative of a cabinet minister obviously.

By *torm in a G cupWoman  over a year ago

Land of the Long White Cloud

In New Zealand the Government pays the cost of managed isolation hotel stays, except in a few circumstances.

If the user pays it is NZD3100 for a minimum 14 day stay.

here

“A Melbourne hotel being used to quarantine overseas arrivals has been closed after new coronavirus cases were linked to it”

Maybe quarantine hotels aren’t as effective as first thought?

liverpool

Matt Hancock...anyone lying on their PLF and trying to conceal that they have been to a country, on the red list, in the 10 days before arrival in the UK, will face a prison sentence of up to 10 years. £10,000 fine for failure to quarantine in hotel, if required.

Unless they are a friend or relative of a cabinet minister obviously."

Seen that NHS report today?

Manchester (she/her)

"“A Melbourne hotel being used to quarantine overseas arrivals has been closed after new coronavirus cases were linked to it”

Maybe quarantine hotels aren’t as effective as first thought?"

I can't find the source for your quote.

What I can find is Australia looking to tighten protocols.

Meanwhile over on plague island, someone is dismissing Australia's success because it's not 100% perfect.

Manchester (she/her)

Here's the story in question. Not the source, which is behind a paywall (Bloomberg, I did find it in the end)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/victoria-coronavirus-hotel-quarantine-cases-nebuliser-theory/13140152

If I really wanted to show off I'd link the story from my home state which has seen no major outbreaks from over half of returning Australians, but I won't

here

"“A Melbourne hotel being used to quarantine overseas arrivals has been closed after new coronavirus cases were linked to it”

Meanwhile over on plague island, someone is dismissing Australia's success because it's not 100% perfect."

Am I dismissing it? no

its an interesting news piece that caught my eye and might be of interest to others, especially when considering the implications of forced quarantine. The idea being that by forcing the quarantine you stop the spread. This blip in Melbourne is important as it shows that no matter the rigidity of a system, this covid will find a way to spread.

Certainly not dismissing the success Australia have found with their quarantine programme.

Leeds

"

Seen that NHS report today?"

Which report ?

liverpool

"

Which report ?"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/09/thinktank-critical-of-nhs-covid-response-has-links-to-hancock?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Slightly ot.

Meanwhile over on plague island, someone is dismissing Australia's success because it's not 100% perfect.

Am I dismissing it? no

its an interesting news piece that caught my eye and might be of interest to others, especially when considering the implications of forced quarantine. The idea being that by forcing the quarantine you stop the spread. This blip in Melbourne is important as it shows that no matter the rigidity of a system, this covid will find a way to spread.

Certainly not dismissing the success Australia have found with their quarantine programme.

Still better than nothing!!

"

Manchester (she/her)

Am I dismissing it? no

"

This one caught my eye too

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/nsw-covid-19-restrictions-easing-in-nsw-from-friday/13139332

here

"

Which report ?"

Not surprisingly its nothing to do with quarantine in hotels

its a piece published by the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) - a think tank - on the NHS .

here

Am I dismissing it? no

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/nsw-covid-19-restrictions-easing-in-nsw-from-friday/13139332"

Gradually easing back to some kind of normality

Manchester (she/her)

The Melbourne outbreak is about a third of what I have in my local area (per putting my postcode into the UK Coronavirus website), which is about UK average. And they know where it's all come from and can use forward tracing to stamp it out.

Sounds like a brilliant success to me

Manchester (she/her)

Am I dismissing it? no

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/nsw-covid-19-restrictions-easing-in-nsw-from-friday/13139332

Gradually easing back to some kind of normality "

Yup. Hooray for Australian quarantine.

liverpool

"

Which report ?

Not surprisingly its nothing to do with quarantine in hotels

its a piece published by the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) - a think tank - on the NHS .

"

Probs why I said it's a bit off topic.

here

Am I dismissing it? no

Gradually easing back to some kind of normality

Yup. Hooray for Australian quarantine."

I wouldn't disagree

They certainly are successful here in NZ. 109,002 people have been through managed isolation and quarantine since March 2020 and we currently only have 1 community case of covid Nationwide and 58 in Managed Isolation.

"They certainly are successful here in NZ. 109,002 people have been through managed isolation and quarantine since March 2020 and we currently only have 1 community case of covid Nationwide and 58 in Managed Isolation.

"

out of interest whats the difference between managed isolation and community cases?

is managed isolation people that tried to enter the country with it and were kept in quarantine longer? will the community cases be put in mandatory quarantine once detected and do they know how they picked it up if all the other cases are being managed in isolation?

just being nosy as to how its being handled when its much smaller numbers

"Sounds like Scotland are to quarantine arrivals from all countries , starting Monday. All arrivals to have 2 tests, day 2 and day 8."

i wonder what the point of the test on day 2 is unless its to help with the admin side of planning what rooms are free and which might need an extension for positive cases (although you would think day 8 test would just have the same potential for problems)

i might be missing something but i just cant see the benefit of testing someone who will be locked in a room with no contact, at a point in the virus lifecycle we have repeatedly been told is potentially too early for the test to pick up a positive, when we know we have the opportunity to test them the week after anyway

Manchester (she/her)

"They certainly are successful here in NZ. 109,002 people have been through managed isolation and quarantine since March 2020 and we currently only have 1 community case of covid Nationwide and 58 in Managed Isolation.

out of interest whats the difference between managed isolation and community cases?

is managed isolation people that tried to enter the country with it and were kept in quarantine longer? will the community cases be put in mandatory quarantine once detected and do they know how they picked it up if all the other cases are being managed in isolation?

just being nosy as to how its being handled when its much smaller numbers "

Answering for Australia, Australia separates quarantine cases and community cases. So as of an article I read this morning (UK time), NSW has had no community transmission in 24 days. That doesn't count any cases that have been picked up in quarantine hotels. I assume it's similar.

Answering for Australia, Australia separates quarantine cases and community cases. So as of an article I read this morning (UK time), NSW has had no community transmission in 24 days. That doesn't count any cases that have been picked up in quarantine hotels. I assume it's similar."

i thought it might be that but then i wonder how you end up with 1 lone community case if its not linked to a quarantine hotel ... you would think starting from covid zero the hotels are the only risk areas remaining

Manchester (she/her)

Answering for Australia, Australia separates quarantine cases and community cases. So as of an article I read this morning (UK time), NSW has had no community transmission in 24 days. That doesn't count any cases that have been picked up in quarantine hotels. I assume it's similar.

i thought it might be that but then i wonder how you end up with 1 lone community case if its not linked to a quarantine hotel ... you would think starting from covid zero the hotels are the only risk areas remaining "

If you're talking about Perth, I think a member of hotel quarantine staff caught it in his work. I know that was the case with the South Australia lockdown last year too.

Manchester (she/her)

... so if I go to Sydney and have Covid I brought in from the UK, that doesn't count, but if the person who brings me my food catches it from me, that counts.

just being nosy as to how its being handled when its much smaller numbers "

The numbers are much smaller because of the measures put in place by our Government - only 25 deaths in total for a country with a population of 5 million.

In answer to your question, my understanding is a community case in one in the general population. All of the three most recent could be traced back to a person who left managed isolation facilities after 14 days (and with negative test on day 12)

Managed isolation and quarnatine is used for all people arriving in NZ.

Community cases are managed in self-isolation where possible. Quarantine or hosital admission where necessary.

Contact tracing is used here very successfully too.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

It would be cheaper and more efficient if the goverment bussed everyone back to their homes and checked on them there.

There's more chance catching it in a hotel. What happens if someone needs to go into hospital, all their belongings are left in the hotel?

What happens if someone can't pay the hotel bill?

What happens if someone stuffs Matt Hancock's head down the toilet and flushes it?

Leeds

Seems like our UK quarantine hotels won't be as strict as in Australia. In UK you can come out of your room to excercise or smoke.

"It would be cheaper and more efficient if the goverment bussed everyone back to their homes and checked on them there.

There's more chance catching it in a hotel. What happens if someone needs to go into hospital, all their belongings are left in the hotel?

What happens if someone stuffs Matt Hancock's head down the toilet and flushes it? "

its more efficient to check on 1000 people a day in up to 1000 different locations with no way of tracking their movement once you drop them off, than at govt appointed hotels in a limited number of locations with a pre booking system and no ability to freely come and go ?

you must work for the civil service with that kind of logic

liverpool

"It would be cheaper and more efficient if the goverment bussed everyone back to their homes and checked on them there.

What happens if someone stuffs Matt Hancock's head down the toilet and flushes it? "

I'm fairly sure that has happened before.

Manchester (she/her)

"Seems like our UK quarantine hotels won't be as strict as in Australia. In UK you can come out of your room to excercise or smoke."

*Facepalm*

"Seems like our UK quarantine hotels won't be as strict as in Australia. In UK you can come out of your room to excercise or smoke.

*Facepalm*"

Also the list of exemptions is as long as my arm which is what I knew was gonna happen which is why I've been arguing it's just a publicity exercise to make it look like they are doing something.

The other problem is people have tried to book who are coming into the UK tomorrow or the day after and they can't book so what happens.

Manchester (she/her)

"Seems like our UK quarantine hotels won't be as strict as in Australia. In UK you can come out of your room to excercise or smoke.

*Facepalm*

Also the list of exemptions is as long as my arm which is what I knew was gonna happen which is why I've been arguing it's just a publicity exercise to make it look like they are doing something.

The other problem is people have tried to book who are coming into the UK tomorrow or the day after and they can't book so what happens."

My support for it is contingent on it... actually doing what it's supposed to do.

here

4 passengers arriving Birmingham Airport, who provided false arrival information to avoid the enforced hotel quarantine, have each been fined £10k.

chelmsford

"4 passengers arriving Birmingham Airport, who provided false arrival information to avoid the enforced hotel quarantine, have each been fined £10k.

"

Good

Leeds

In Scotland a man travelling from USA paid for hotel quarantine but because he changed planes in Ireland he was told he didn't need to stay in the hotel. Illogical.

Tent in the back garden it is!

North West

"Seems like our UK quarantine hotels won't be as strict as in Australia. In UK you can come out of your room to excercise or smoke."

Even so, still better than people not having to quarantine at all and at least this is being controlled/ watched.

Some rooms in Australia are allowed smokers so myst get asked.

It’s not meant to be punishment is it and helps people comply xx

here

"4 passengers arriving Birmingham Airport, who provided false arrival information to avoid the enforced hotel quarantine, have each been fined £10k.

Good "

Would prefer to seem them locked up (in jail) and throw away the key for 10 years... thats a proper deterrent

chelmsford

Good

Would prefer to seem them locked up (in jail) and throw away the key for 10 years... thats a proper deterrent "

Yes!

"In Scotland a man travelling from USA paid for hotel quarantine but because he changed planes in Ireland he was told he didn't need to stay in the hotel. Illogical. "

I saw that today. Seems to be information missing about where they actually came from. Or at least in the article I read.

So the papers reporting on it have given people ideas of how to try and get round the quarantine requirement.

» Add a new message to this topic