FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Covid bullies.

Covid bullies.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Seeing a lot of this on this forum at the moment.

Calling people out with "anti vaxer" slurs, having a go at people who possibly can't wear a mask etc.

Why don't people focus on doing what's best for themselves without constantly projecting their own fears and going off on bullyish tirades.

I get it! Some people invest heavily in what they are told and totally trust the people in charge, others don't?

There's no magic bullet for this and One thing we all have in common is NONE OF US has a fucking clue how it will all pan out.

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Because it’s the internet. There’s zero accountability or consequences for being horrible to a stranger on the net. My counter argument is don’t get involved if the trauma of being jumped on and dog piled is going to prove too much.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I think some people are just petrified so jumping on people in the forum gives them a fake c sense of control.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Because so many people are keyboard warriors who wouldn’t dare speak to others with the same level of disrespect if they were face-to-face.

"Because so many people are keyboard warriors who wouldn’t dare speak to others with the same level of disrespect if they were face-to-face. "

Exactly. Different world when you’re online. I’ve had all sorts of shite thrown at me here. Not one of them would speak to me like that face to face.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

"Because so many people are keyboard warriors who wouldn’t dare speak to others with the same level of disrespect if they were face-to-face. "

Absolutely this

Mostly argumentative cowards

Most of what I see is the flagrant rule flouters being challenged

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Seeing a lot of this on this forum at the moment.

Calling people out with "anti vaxer" slurs, having a go at people who possibly can't wear a mask etc.

Why don't people focus on doing what's best for themselves without constantly projecting their own fears and going off on bullyish tirades.

I get it! Some people invest heavily in what they are told and totally trust the people in charge, others don't?

There's no magic bullet for this and One thing we all have in common is NONE OF US has a fucking clue how it will all pan out.

"

I think it is completely understandable that people who are following the rules could be aggrieved at people who seem to be not doing. Without a doubt, if EVERYONE followed the rules, we would be in an all-together better situation.

Anti-vaxxers are a whole different conversation, anyone who is actively discouraging the uptake of vaccines is dangerous.

Cal

"

I don't see what you're doing here any different from someone else being vocal about not liking anti vaccine nonsense and people wrongfully claiming exemption from facemasks

It's a forum that's set up to voice your opinions about subject, albeit some are more disrespectful than others but I don't see bullying going on

By *rgoodnbadMan  over a year ago

greenock

Haven't noticed anything about slandering or insulting others who are exempt/can't wear masks or face covering though I've saw it with the deniers/ flatearthers and I don't have a problem with that.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

I think it is completely understandable that people who are following the rules could be aggrieved at people who seem to be not doing. Without a doubt, if EVERYONE followed the rules, we would be in an all-together better situation.

Anti-vaxxers are a whole different conversation, anyone who is actively discouraging the uptake of vaccines is dangerous.

Cal"

This ^

I've seen lots of comments crying bullying. There's a huge difference between bullying and pointing out an inaccuracy in something someone's said.

E

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think that some of the negative aspects of behaviour, not exclusive to here, are as a result of the long term stress and pressures that people have been under. Many have had major financial impacts from this, which jeopardises their wellbeing, home and relationship stability, amongst many things.

It's wise not to get drawn in to things that may affect you adversely and to stop, if you feel under attack of any sort. It's good to point out when you see something that is unfair, or is potentially going to impact on the wellbeing of others. Certainly report inappropriate behaviour to Admin.

There are some people who may view debate as criticism, especially if someone has a very solid position on something. Beliefs may be personal but scientific evidence is impartial - though some may interpret it differently. If we are to discuss things in the forum, ee do have to accept that some will have different takes on things - it goes without saying, really. It can be hard if solid evidence states something but possibly someone takes a contrarian view. We are better to stick with evidence, rather than just debating things because we don't want to believe in something, because it conflicts with our position. It's wiser to state your position and not get drawn to demands to restate it differently, just because someone instructs you to make it accessible to their way. Let them deal with their insufficient acceptance of something, when you have provided your position, without getting drawn in to what may quickly become an argument.

And definitely refrain from trying to put others down or scare points.

The virus is obviously something that can cause extreme damage to others, including death. We thus each are responsible for not fostering anything that could influence danger to others. That should be a priority at all times.

"Haven't noticed anything about slandering or insulting others who are exempt/can't wear masks or face covering though I've saw it with the deniers/ flatearthers and I don't have a problem with that."

You haven't looked hard enough because there has been plenty of that unfortunately.

Brighton

Gonna cut n paste my post from the locked ant vaxxer thread as I think it is relevant here...

“You gotta love how so many people think this is a black or white yes or no situation. Totally reflects the poisonous nature of tribalist echo chamber mentality that social media algorithms perpetuate.

There is a LOT of middle ground here yet few people seem willing to hold a civilised and courteous discussion looking at all sides of an argument. Instead they become increasingly entrenched in a single, sometimes myopic, viewpoint on pretty much everything.

Civilised discourse is dying. Questioning the prevalent view is about progress otherwise we would still think the sun revolved around the earth and the earth was flat.

This thread started off slamming anti vaxxers. IMO many/most theories put forward by anti vaxxers are plain weird (inc 5G, Bill Gates etc) but amongst the more crackpot conspiracy theories there will be nuggets of genuine area of concern.

The Covid vaccines have been produced VERY quickly. Yes that is in part due to the huge funding and a large patient base to undertake research. Trials have been accelerated and for the most part this is explainable and supported by peer reviewed scientific research. But when is fast too fast?

There ARE areas that have not been covered by the research (not enough time) that includes, amongst other things a lack of research in vaccine impacts on other drugs and medicines someone is taking. There ARE some concerns about a possible impact on fertility. The vaccines have not been licensed for under 16s (as far as I know). The stage 4 trial did not happen - the vaccine rollout is a live stage 4 trial. There is no research (for obvious reasons) on long term side effects.

There is also, quite rightly, a general mistrust around the ethics of big pharma (with many historical precedents).

So just remember that not everyone raising a concern or worry about having a vaccine is an anti vaxxer. Some are just more cautious and less trusting of people or organisations that have a poor ethical record.”

Cal

This ^

I've seen lots of comments crying bullying. There's a huge difference between bullying and pointing out an inaccuracy in something someone's said.

E"

There’s nothing wrong with debate. There’s nothing wrong with disagreeing. But there’s a way to disagree. There’s a way to express an opposing opinion without being a dick or outright nasty. Think that’s what the OP is trying to address.

Cal

This ^

E

There’s nothing wrong with debate. There’s nothing wrong with disagreeing. But there’s a way to disagree. There’s a way to express an opposing opinion without being a dick or outright nasty. Think that’s what the OP is trying to address. "

Agreed! It also doesn't help that the written word comes across so differently to in person conversation

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I have noticed that too and it mainly just comes from that side yes, you dont see the same thing from the opposition.

Cal

This ^

E

There’s nothing wrong with debate. There’s nothing wrong with disagreeing. But there’s a way to disagree. There’s a way to express an opposing opinion without being a dick or outright nasty. Think that’s what the OP is trying to address. "

The attitude is, your either with us or against us?. Its all very George W Bush isn't it and we all know how that shit show ended up!

Cal

This ^

E

There’s nothing wrong with debate. There’s nothing wrong with disagreeing. But there’s a way to disagree. There’s a way to express an opposing opinion without being a dick or outright nasty. Think that’s what the OP is trying to address.

The attitude is, your either with us or against us?. Its all very George W Bush isn't it and we all know how that shit show ended up!

"

Exactly! Tribal. Petty even.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

"

Well said .... I stopped commenting cos of the abuse I received cos I’m not getting vaccinated and the whole thing is a big con .... I just live my life now ... don’t know what the bloody rules are I don’t watch news so not got a clue ... life’s for living

Cal

This ^

E

is referring to someone against vaccination as an anti vaxer being a dick or nasty or as the op suggests a slur? ... seems just like an accurate description to me

By *eoeclipseWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

personally anything I say on the forums I would say to someone's face. I do get I write quite formally and bluntly which is misconstrued as rude.

The difference here is that tone of voice and body language is missing so even if you are expressing yourself as opposing in a friendly debate type manner it is often missed here.

ADHD doesn't help with the misunderstandings here or out in the real world & now they are even worse.

I'm quite sick of being called names for having an opposing opinion or questioning the Gov hierarchy though.

Well said .... I stopped commenting cos of the abuse I received cos I’m not getting vaccinated and the whole thing is a big con .... I just live my life now ... don’t know what the bloody rules are I don’t watch news so not got a clue ... life’s for living "

You didnt get abuse on the forums you got people that were disagreeing with you and I think this is where the problem comes in.

There is a difference between abuse and disagreement and many don't understand the difference.

Ignorance is not an excuse to break the rules.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Too many people crying wolf, feigning being abused when they've been firmly challenged on some of their baseless views..

Cal

This ^

E

Exactly! Tribal. Petty even. "

Is that not the usual on the forums though. Its been like this the last 6 years I've been here, maybe I introduced it....lol

"Too many people crying wolf, feigning being abused when they've been firmly challenged on some of their baseless views..

"

Flintshire

Well said .... I stopped commenting cos of the abuse I received cos I’m not getting vaccinated and the whole thing is a big con .... I just live my life now ... don’t know what the bloody rules are I don’t watch news so not got a clue ... life’s for living

You didnt get abuse on the forums you got people that were disagreeing with you and I think this is where the problem comes in.

There is a difference between abuse and disagreement and many don't understand the difference.

Ignorance is not an excuse to break the rules."

Naaaahhhhhh I know the difference

Flintshire

Naaaahhhhhh I know the difference "

And I’m not ignorant ......

"

If you are referring to my forum comments to a Person with anti cancer views.

This is a forum for opinions to be expressed.

I was pointing out the consequences of not being vaccinated against a number of things.

It seems to me that a vast number of people posting on internet platforms, only want people to agree with them. Anyone not agreeing or offering a differing view is labelled a Troll.

Naaaahhhhhh I know the difference

And I’m not ignorant ...... "

And herein lies the problem because I didn't call you ignorant I said that you were saying you don't know the rules and you just live your life so I was saying ignorance isn't excuse to break the rules I did not call you ignorant.

"Too many people crying wolf, feigning being abused when they've been firmly challenged on some of their baseless views..

"

Exactly.

There's a very good man called Scott Jenson an American physician and former member of the Minnesota Senate.

In 2020 Jenson who had to go before the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice to answer charges of spreading misinformation and giving "reckless advice" about coronavirus.

Scott Jenson was totally exonerated from the complaints made against which led to him appearing before the Board of Medical Pratice.

Scott Jenson said this, 9 11 brought this country together but Covid tore it apart!

I wish people would pause, reflect and just be open minded, kindness and humility is what this "site" needs right now.

Just step back a little

debate is good no one is right or wrong really and a big part of it is learning and finding out new things ..no question is too silly ..im alway ask questions most answer's are polite..

the virus and politics forums are so not friendly but its a few people most are great no matter what side of the debate

Cal

This ^

E

Absolutely. I can't understand why people who have to resort to profanity. Does it make them more macho because they know a few words from their sad life? If they were properly educated, they could express their opinion without resorting to gutter language

Well said .... I stopped commenting cos of the abuse I received cos I’m not getting vaccinated and the whole thing is a big con .... I just live my life now ... don’t know what the bloody rules are I don’t watch news so not got a clue ... life’s for living "

Not for those who die because of this kind of attitude.

Good thread with some good replies.

I might add that "covid bullying" is not limited to this forum, it happens all over the internet and in the "real world" too.

The mainstream media only runs 1 narrative, and anybody who speaks out against this (or sometimes even just simply asks for an opinion) can very quickly find themselves being targeted for abuse, labeled as an "idiot who wears a tin foil hat", "insensitive" and even as far as people saying "I hope you catch the virus and fucking die".

Certain people feel very smug about doing everything that their government asks them to do, and they hurl abuse at anybody else from their high horse.

My least favourite of these are those who point their fingers and say "If you don't follow the rules, you don't care about people and you're being very insensitive to those who have lost people due to covid".

What about those of us who are losing people due to suicides, either lockdown related or just from general dismay at where the world seems to be heading?

You don't hear about these people being spoken about on the news every day. There is a discussion from the other side that should happen, and people should not be silenced for speaking out against it.

My opinion on everything in general?

Your government does not give a fuck about you.

Your government does not give a fuck about your family.

Your government does not give a fuck if you live or if you die.

Show me an honest government that actually cares for its people and doesn't abuse power.

All governments want is power and more power, and it suits them to have the people divided and fighting against each other.

Blacks against whites

Religion against religion

Mask against no masks

I am not anti vax, as I don't know enough about the subject to make an informed decision. But I will not be rushing out to get a jab right now with ZERO known long term effects.

Hundreds of European kids developed permanent brain damage from the "Pandemrix" vaccine during the Swine Flu "pandemic". That was only 12 years ago. This is 100% fact, it's on several reputable news sites and a 2 second google search will clarify this. Hundreds of lives fucked up because people were told they needed a vaccine.

Now you can say that was different back then and we have different technology now and more people working on the covid vax etc etc and I will probably agree with your points.

But you still don't know anything about it's long term effects, and neither do I. Take it if you want to, but for now, it's a no thank you from me. It doesn't make me selfish.

Controversial opinion? Covid doesn't cause lockdowns. Governments do.

"Good thread with some good replies.

I might add that "covid bullying" is not limited to this forum, it happens all over the internet and in the "real world" too.

The mainstream media only runs 1 narrative, and anybody who speaks out against this (or sometimes even just simply asks for an opinion) can very quickly find themselves being targeted for abuse, labeled as an "idiot who wears a tin foil hat", "insensitive" and even as far as people saying "I hope you catch the virus and fucking die".

Certain people feel very smug about doing everything that their government asks them to do, and they hurl abuse at anybody else from their high horse.

My least favourite of these are those who point their fingers and say "If you don't follow the rules, you don't care about people and you're being very insensitive to those who have lost people due to covid".

What about those of us who are losing people due to suicides, either lockdown related or just from general dismay at where the world seems to be heading?

You don't hear about these people being spoken about on the news every day. There is a discussion from the other side that should happen, and people should not be silenced for speaking out against it.

My opinion on everything in general?

Your government does not give a fuck about you.

Your government does not give a fuck about your family.

Your government does not give a fuck if you live or if you die.

Show me an honest government that actually cares for its people and doesn't abuse power.

All governments want is power and more power, and it suits them to have the people divided and fighting against each other.

Blacks against whites

Religion against religion

Mask against no masks

I am not anti vax, as I don't know enough about the subject to make an informed decision. But I will not be rushing out to get a jab right now with ZERO known long term effects.

Hundreds of European kids developed permanent brain damage from the "Pandemrix" vaccine during the Swine Flu "pandemic". That was only 12 years ago. This is 100% fact, it's on several reputable news sites and a 2 second google search will clarify this. Hundreds of lives fucked up because people were told they needed a vaccine.

Now you can say that was different back then and we have different technology now and more people working on the covid vax etc etc and I will probably agree with your points.

But you still don't know anything about it's long term effects, and neither do I. Take it if you want to, but for now, it's a no thank you from me. It doesn't make me selfish.

Controversial opinion? Covid doesn't cause lockdowns. Governments do.

"

Well said and many many good points

[Removed by poster at 06/02/21 18:20:49]

Not for those who die because of this kind of attitude. "

I don't believe that you are qualified to claim that that person's attitude is killing people. You don't know who they are, where they may or may not go, or what they may or may not do.

Cal

This ^

E

is referring to someone against vaccination as an anti vaxer being a dick or nasty or as the op suggests a slur? ... seems just like an accurate description to me"

We all know that ‘anti vaxxer’ is a slur. ‘Covid denier’ is another loaded term too. Language deliberately chosen because of their implications. They’re both used inappropriately I feel. Someone expressing legit concerns for the vaccine gets jumped on as ‘anti vax’. There are a handful of actual ‘anti vaxxers’ out there. They’ve been around a long time. But they’re a very small minority. Being critical or even just curious about a medicine being developed in such a short space of time isn’t anti Vax.

Flintshire

Not for those who die because of this kind of attitude. "

That old chestnut .... I’ve heard this time and time again .... no I don’t kill anyone go and do a bit of research instead of sitting behind a keyboard and writing ridiculous statements

I don't believe that you are qualified to claim that that person's attitude is killing people. You don't know who they are, where they may or may not go, or what they may or may not do."

Ah, so you're more qualified?

That old chestnut .... I’ve heard this time and time again .... no I don’t kill anyone go and do a bit of research instead of sitting behind a keyboard and writing ridiculous statements "

It was a rather Blunt way of putting it but actually you don't know that you're not, none of us do.

The only way to mitigate is to stick to the restrictions.

That old chestnut .... I’ve heard this time and time again .... no I don’t kill anyone go and do a bit of research instead of sitting behind a keyboard and writing ridiculous statements

It was a rather Blunt way of putting it but actually you don't know that you're not, none of us do.

The only way to mitigate is to stick to the restrictions."

Absolutely agree. Those who can stick to the rules, do so. Those who can have the vaccine, do so. Let's get back to being friends

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

Cal

This ^

E

is referring to someone against vaccination as an anti vaxer being a dick or nasty or as the op suggests a slur? ... seems just like an accurate description to me

We all know that ‘anti vaxxer’ is a slur. ‘Covid denier’ is another loaded term too. Language deliberately chosen because of their implications. They’re both used inappropriately I feel. Someone expressing legit concerns for the vaccine gets jumped on as ‘anti vax’. There are a handful of actual ‘anti vaxxers’ out there. They’ve been around a long time. But they’re a very small minority. Being critical or even just curious about a medicine being developed in such a short space of time isn’t anti Vax. "

Absolutely this

If people are trying to become educated about something before seeing if it’s right for them then brilliant.

One size doesn’t fit all and I think if anyone’s genuinely trying to educate themselves on something it can only be a good thing! x

Cal

This ^

E

We all know that ‘anti vaxxer’ is a slur. ‘Covid denier’ is another loaded term too. Language deliberately chosen because of their implications. They’re both used inappropriately I feel. Someone expressing legit concerns for the vaccine gets jumped on as ‘anti vax’. There are a handful of actual ‘anti vaxxers’ out there. They’ve been around a long time. But they’re a very small minority. Being critical or even just curious about a medicine being developed in such a short space of time isn’t anti Vax.

Absolutely this

If people are trying to become educated about something before seeing if it’s right for them then brilliant.

One size doesn’t fit all and I think if anyone’s genuinely trying to educate themselves on something it can only be a good thing! x

"

Yes and mostly those people aren't the ones that get abusive when someone disagrees with them.

By *perfectpair5050Couple  over a year ago

marlbourgh

Could somebody explain to me how it’s all a big con 110 thousand dead worldwide 2 million one hell of a con only asking because I can’t see how anybody can even think it’s a big con please explain because I must’ve missed something over the last 12 months

I don't believe that you are qualified to claim that that person's attitude is killing people. You don't know who they are, where they may or may not go, or what they may or may not do.

Ah, so you're more qualified? "

If I just told a man that I didn't believe him qualified to make a claim about a person that (I'm assuming) he doesn't know, then why would I believe myself more qualified to make a claim about the same person that I definitely don't know?

Awaits the do you not know how many die in car crashes...cancer.. and falling off a ladder

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Could somebody explain to me how it’s all a big con 110 thousand dead worldwide 2 million one hell of a con only asking because I can’t see how anybody can even think it’s a big con please explain because I must’ve missed something over the last 12 months "

Apparently its something to do with not carrying change round any more.

marlbourgh

And what is people dying in car crashes falling off ladders got to do with a virus that can be passed between person-to-person Your point is

"And what is people dying in car crashes falling off ladders got to do with a virus that can be passed between person-to-person Your point is"

Because that argument is often used that more people die from cancer, car crashes blah blah blah.

"And what is people dying in car crashes falling off ladders got to do with a virus that can be passed between person-to-person Your point is"

Sarcasm...

Cal

This ^

E

Absolutely this

"

i’ve seen very few people trying to educate themselves on the vaccine ... mostly what you see is “i wont take something developed in such a short time” or “it normally takes years this one had been rushed” ... no questions just statements, easily cleared up if they looked for even the smallest bit of that education online

to be honest they could be paraphrased as “i have an opinion that i based on zero research and i have no desire for you to educate me or try to change my opinion as i am entitled to it”

Flintshire

Cal

This ^

E

Absolutely this

i’ve seen very few people trying to educate themselves on the vaccine ... mostly what you see is “i wont take something developed in such a short time” or “it normally takes years this one had been rushed” ... no questions just statements, easily cleared up if they looked for even the smallest bit of that education online

to be honest they could be paraphrased as “i have an opinion that i based on zero research and i have no desire for you to educate me or try to change my opinion as i am entitled to it”"

I’ve been researching vaccines for years ... so no I’ve not just googled something on the internet ... this is what people like to portray that those who aren’t getting vaccinated just read something on line .... how ridiculous

North West

Cal

This ^

E

Absolutely this

to be honest they could be paraphrased as “i have an opinion that i based on zero research and i have no desire for you to educate me or try to change my opinion as i am entitled to it”"

Oh yeah definitely that’s most of what I see on here! Seems people on these forums just wind each other up on purpose and have little to 0 empathy haha!

In the real world and mainly Twitter though I see a lot of genuine people trying to educate who get lumped with the “anti vax” insults. xx

By *ensualguy70TV/TS  over a year ago

Renfrew

Cal"

What scientific facts and primary legislation do you base that upon??

"Could somebody explain to me how it’s all a big con 110 thousand dead worldwide 2 million one hell of a con only asking because I can’t see how anybody can even think it’s a big con please explain because I must’ve missed something over the last 12 months "

Some believe that lockdowns are a global ploy to make the gap between rich and poor even further, and that they are using this deadly virus to push their agenda.

Some believe that it's a giant control experiment, pushing people to see how far they can get away with controlling them.

North West

[Removed by poster at 06/02/21 18:45:51]

liverpool

Whoosh.

By *ensualguy70TV/TS  over a year ago

Renfrew

So desperate to force the vaccination upon us for a virus thats not evdn in the top 10 of killers, yet its a criminal offence to advertise a cure for cancer.

is that why cancer patients are not priority now to receive treatment, its only priority to get this covid vax

marlbourgh

And every government in the world is involved in a giant control experiment you can’t make it up lol

Brighton

I think this thread is becoming a self fulfilling prophesy

"I think this thread is becoming a self fulfilling prophesy "

Why go to MSM? I get all my Covid news from Fab's Pulitzer prize winning journalists.

Seymour Hersh has nothing on these guys.

It's like a kindergarten.

If I just told a man that I didn't believe him qualified to make a claim about a person that (I'm assuming) he doesn't know, then why would I believe myself more qualified to make a claim about the same person that I definitely don't know?"

Well you appear to be qualified if you claim he isn't

Brighton

Notice also how any potential dialogue is pushed out by latching into extreme (and often easily refutable) conspiracy theories.

Jeez folks not everyone who is cautious about the Covid Vaccines also believes in:

- Agenda 21

- 5G

- Bill Gates is (whatever he is supposed to be?)

- Alien Federation thingamibob

- etc

For every whacko conspiracy believing anti vaxxer there is an evangelical trust everything the authorities tell you or else person. Both are as bad and dangerous as each other.

Healthy scepticism that leads to personal research, knowledge and responsibility can only be a good thing leading to people making informed decisions!

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

"

I'm happy to call you out instead! Covid bullies as you call them are responding because They feel bullied by the people who are behaving so childishly and selfishly about what's happening now..

Most of us know how it will pan out particularly if people don't get vaccinated and let life carry on

Standing there saying you ate being bullied because you refuse to just get on with things is a bit rich frankly.

What is it that scares you? Dying? Or just being plain frightened?

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

Too many people with too much time on their hands. Whilst the rationale for setting up a Virus forum was entirely reasonable it has in the main become toxic. Much like the Politics section we’ve ended up with a hardcore of individuals who have to comment on every thread and belittle anyone who has an alternative view.

I’ve seen good people ridiculed into leaving altogether and concerted efforts to label anyone who questions the approved thinking as unhinged / dangerous etc. Those who think ‘right’ are championed as paragons of virtue for their stance on all matters Covid. Personally I’ve had threats, snide mail and been white knighted on countless occasions.

If you want healthy debate then befriend someone who thinks differently to yourself and you might just learn something - not to convert them but to understand their point of view. If you want an echo chamber then keep shouting...just don’t be surprised if people stop listening one day.

"Notice also how any potential dialogue is pushed out by latching into extreme (and often easily refutable) conspiracy theories.

Jeez folks not everyone who is cautious about the Covid Vaccines also believes in:

- Agenda 21

- 5G

- etc

For every whacko conspiracy believing anti vaxxer there is an evangelical trust everything the authorities tell you or else person. Both are as bad and dangerous as each other.

Healthy scepticism that leads to personal research, knowledge and responsibility can only be a good thing leading to people making informed decisions! "

The problem I have is very people often on threads that are saying they won't take a vaccine are on another thread saying they don't believe in lockdowns but they believe that the vulnerable should shut themselves away so it comes across as double standards that's normally where I have an issue.

If you're not prepared to be part of the solution that's OK and you can choose not to have a vaccine however you can't expect others to have to shut themselves away and have limited life experiences.

Flintshire

"Too many people with too much time on their hands. Whilst the rationale for setting up a Virus forum was entirely reasonable it has in the main become toxic. Much like the Politics section we’ve ended up with a hardcore of individuals who have to comment on every thread and belittle anyone who has an alternative view.

I’ve seen good people ridiculed into leaving altogether and concerted efforts to label anyone who questions the approved thinking as unhinged / dangerous etc. Those who think ‘right’ are championed as paragons of virtue for their stance on all matters Covid. Personally I’ve had threats, snide mail and been white knighted on countless occasions.

If you want healthy debate then befriend someone who thinks differently to yourself and you might just learn something - not to convert them but to understand their point of view. If you want an echo chamber then keep shouting...just don’t be surprised if people stop listening one day.

"

Totally agree .... most probably all sat at home on furlough while some of us are out working in key roles

Flintshire

"Notice also how any potential dialogue is pushed out by latching into extreme (and often easily refutable) conspiracy theories.

- Agenda 21

- 5G

- etc

Healthy scepticism that leads to personal research, knowledge and responsibility can only be a good thing leading to people making informed decisions!

The problem I have is very people often on threads that are saying they won't take a vaccine are on another thread saying they don't believe in lockdowns but they believe that the vulnerable should shut themselves away so it comes across as double standards that's normally where I have an issue.

If you're not prepared to be part of the solution that's OK and you can choose not to have a vaccine however you can't expect others to have to shut themselves away and have limited life experiences."

By the way vaccines are not mandatory ... we do have a choice and I choose not to have one ... if you want one that’s your choice ... my choice a not to have one so my choice should be respected too

North West

"Too many people with too much time on their hands. Whilst the rationale for setting up a Virus forum was entirely reasonable it has in the main become toxic. Much like the Politics section we’ve ended up with a hardcore of individuals who have to comment on every thread and belittle anyone who has an alternative view.

Totally agree .... most probably all sat at home on furlough while some of us are out working in key roles "

Agreed!

I actively speak to someone I totally offended ok here once!

We actually disagree on everything! But it’s great to see others points of view without it getting nasty! x

A little empathy goes a long way

liverpool

"

What's white knighted?

Totally agree .... most probably all sat at home on furlough while some of us are out working in key roles "

But it's comments like these that are aimed at ridiculing people and shutting down the debate by saying it's just the same people I may always say the same thing and they've got too much time on their hands.

People are allowed opinions and most of the time they are respected but often comments like they are not working just isn't helpful.

- Agenda 21

- 5G

- etc

If you're not prepared to be part of the solution that's OK and you can choose not to have a vaccine however you can't expect others to have to shut themselves away and have limited life experiences.

By the way vaccines are not mandatory ... we do have a choice and I choose not to have one ... if you want one that’s your choice ... my choice a not to have one so my choice should be respected too "

If you read what I said again I said it was a choice I just said the actually people are often very contradictory in their views.

If I just told a man that I didn't believe him qualified to make a claim about a person that (I'm assuming) he doesn't know, then why would I believe myself more qualified to make a claim about the same person that I definitely don't know?

Well you appear to be qualified if you claim he isn't "

I never claimed that he wasn't qualified. I said "I don't believe" that he is qualified. My opinion is not fact and I did not present it as such x

I find it so strange that you took the time to read, understand and compliment me on the "many many good points" I made on my big long post earlier in this thread, but now you're going out of your way to pin me down for something I never even said, in a post that was a mere 2 sentences long

stafford

- Agenda 21

- 5G

- etc

By the way vaccines are not mandatory ... we do have a choice and I choose not to have one ... if you want one that’s your choice ... my choice a not to have one so my choice should be respected too "

We are living in strange times but consider your choice has implications on everyone else .. Duty of care for one towards everyone you encounter .. If you think you have a right to chose not to help out and get the country moving again then are you happy to accept the consequences of that decision ?

Will you pay for your own health treatment if you become sick through Covid ( it's not the same as smokers or junkies) or not ask the government for money if your business heads to the wall or you can't work?

Its all very well standing by your principles.. But that is going to carry some sort of weight too which you need to also be aware of ..

" The problem I have is very people often on threads that are saying they won't take a vaccine are on another thread saying they don't believe in lockdowns but they believe that the vulnerable should shut themselves away so it comes across as double standards that's normally where I have an issue.

If you're not prepared to be part of the solution that's OK and you can choose not to have a vaccine however you can't expect others to have to shut themselves away and have limited life experiences."

I thought that their reasoning behind this was to keep the vulnerable safe until some form of solution was discovered? Not to keep them shut away indefinitely.

The virus forum is like an hamsters wheel.

" The problem I have is very people often on threads that are saying they won't take a vaccine are on another thread saying they don't believe in lockdowns but they believe that the vulnerable should shut themselves away so it comes across as double standards that's normally where I have an issue.

I thought that their reasoning behind this was to keep the vulnerable safe until some form of solution was discovered? Not to keep them shut away indefinitely."

Yes and the solution is the vaccine however they are not prepared to take it.

So my point is it seems unreasonable to ask people to be shut away on one hand and say but I'm not gonna take the solution when it comes. That's what I mean about contradictory it's almost like they want everyone else to make the sacrifice and the take the risk so they can go back to normal.

- Agenda 21

- 5G

- etc

By the way vaccines are not mandatory ... we do have a choice and I choose not to have one ... if you want one that’s your choice ... my choice a not to have one so my choice should be respected too

We are living in strange times but consider your choice has implications on everyone else .. Duty of care for one towards everyone you encounter .. If you think you have a right to chose not to help out and get the country moving again then are you happy to accept the consequences of that decision ?

Will you pay for your own health treatment if you become sick through Covid ( it's not the same as smokers or junkies) or not ask the government for money if your business heads to the wall or you can't work?

Its all very well standing by your principles.. But that is going to carry some sort of weight too which you need to also be aware of .. "

That is exactly what I was trying to say but you have put it much better.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

You 'totally agreed' then did the very thing you agreed on that the poster is saying is part of the problem..?

Why?

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"

By *eard-lincolnMan  over a year ago

torremolinos

Whilst i find it difficult not to reply to people who make false claims and put up false figures. I never tell people what they should or shouldn’t do.

I try to follow the rules as best I can to protect myself and my family. And will be getting the vaccination

Has anyone on here actually been forced to take the vaccination? As is claimed above in a few posts

And has anyone on here ever been fined for breaking covid rules?

By *rman82Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"Gonna cut n paste my post from the locked ant vaxxer thread as I think it is relevant here...

“You gotta love how so many people think this is a black or white yes or no situation. Totally reflects the poisonous nature of tribalist echo chamber mentality that social media algorithms perpetuate.

There is a LOT of middle ground here yet few people seem willing to hold a civilised and courteous discussion looking at all sides of an argument. Instead they become increasingly entrenched in a single, sometimes myopic, viewpoint on pretty much everything.

Civilised discourse is dying. Questioning the prevalent view is about progress otherwise we would still think the sun revolved around the earth and the earth was flat.

This thread started off slamming anti vaxxers. IMO many/most theories put forward by anti vaxxers are plain weird (inc 5G, Bill Gates etc) but amongst the more crackpot conspiracy theories there will be nuggets of genuine area of concern.

The Covid vaccines have been produced VERY quickly. Yes that is in part due to the huge funding and a large patient base to undertake research. Trials have been accelerated and for the most part this is explainable and supported by peer reviewed scientific research. But when is fast too fast?

There ARE areas that have not been covered by the research (not enough time) that includes, amongst other things a lack of research in vaccine impacts on other drugs and medicines someone is taking. There ARE some concerns about a possible impact on fertility. The vaccines have not been licensed for under 16s (as far as I know). The stage 4 trial did not happen - the vaccine rollout is a live stage 4 trial. There is no research (for obvious reasons) on long term side effects.

There is also, quite rightly, a general mistrust around the ethics of big pharma (with many historical precedents).

So just remember that not everyone raising a concern or worry about having a vaccine is an anti vaxxer. Some are just more cautious and less trusting of people or organisations that have a poor ethical record.”"

Quite right!! But it’s much easier to disregard them, call them selfish and label them a conspiracy theorist than it is to actually is look into whether their claims are true.

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

Can't wait till this section of the forum is deleted. It brings out the worst in people.

By *andT2020Couple  over a year ago

Gods Country

"

Well said sir, it’s like watching the parish council zoom meeting at times.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

But that goes for both sides. Some of those who don't believe I'm covid or the vaccine or face masks can be equally dismissive and rude. In fact some are out here seeking the arguments.

Flintshire

"Can't wait till this section of the forum is deleted. It brings out the worst in people. "

Totally agree

Flintshire

"Gonna cut n paste my post from the locked ant vaxxer thread as I think it is relevant here...

So just remember that not everyone raising a concern or worry about having a vaccine is an anti vaxxer. Some are just more cautious and less trusting of people or organisations that have a poor ethical record.”

Quite right!! But it’s much easier to disregard them, call them selfish and label them a conspiracy theorist than it is to actually is look into whether their claims are true."

That would seem like too much hard work some people are just spoon fed and believe everything they are told !!!

- Agenda 21

- 5G

- etc

Personally, I cannot disagree with you..

Before anyone jumps on my case, I have had the injection, yes truthfully I have.

Flintshire

"Because so many people are keyboard warriors who wouldn’t dare speak to others with the same level of disrespect if they were face-to-face.

But that goes for both sides. Some of those who don't believe I'm covid or the vaccine or face masks can be equally dismissive and rude. In fact some are out here seeking the arguments. "

Whatever I have said I would say to any ones face ... no key board warrior here !!!

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

[Removed by poster at 07/02/21 08:33:18]

Brighton

"Because so many people are keyboard warriors who wouldn’t dare speak to others with the same level of disrespect if they were face-to-face.

But that goes for both sides. Some of those who don't believe I'm covid or the vaccine or face masks can be equally dismissive and rude. In fact some are out here seeking the arguments.

Whatever I have said I would say to any ones face ... no key board warrior here !!!"

And I expect you would do so in a courteous manner F2F.

However, many ppl on social media dish out scathing insults but simply would not behave that way in person. If they did they would at very least be socially ostracised and at worst get a smack on the nose.

By * New YorkieMan  over a year ago

Leeds

I think this hits it squarely on the head.. Well put..

By *aintscoupleCouple  over a year ago

st helens

Works both ways ive witnessed plenty of people especially pensioners being harassed in supermarkets by non mask wearing idiots!

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I think there's a difference to being hesitant about a new vaccine, even though there are reassuring factors, compared to those who deny Covid is real, who won't wear masks, simply because they don't want to or because they think it infringes on their human rights, and are determined to just carry on as normal.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

And I think those people get treated differently on here.

Brighton

There are certain individuals in the vaccine forum that are arrogant, patronising and condescending towards anyone who even dares raise questions against/about the vaccine or dares be hesitant about whether they want to have it. It is a small group but quite frankly some of what they say would bot be out of place in a totalitarian regime handbook.

They display a total lack of respect for individual choice and dismiss any and all concerns raised despite them being valid and appropriate to ask due to them not fitting with their agenda.

And yes it does work both ways but my observation is the pile on tends to be from the crowd who unquestioningly believe the government and have (apparently) zero concerns about the ethics of big pharma. The modus operandi of this crowd is to lump in anyone who dares ask a question or concern or display hesitation to accept the vaccine with the anti vaxxer group. Even down to expliciteky stating they are responsible for people dying.

Brighton

*grrr typos

"There are certain individuals in the vaccine forum that are arrogant, patronising and condescending towards anyone who even dares raise questions against/about the vaccine or dares be hesitant about whether they want to have it. It is a small group but quite frankly some of what they say would bot be out of place in a totalitarian regime handbook.

They display a total lack of respect for individual choice and dismiss any and all concerns raised despite them being valid and appropriate to ask due to them not fitting with their agenda.

And yes it does work both ways but my observation is the pile on tends to be from the crowd who unquestioningly believe the government and have (apparently) zero concerns about the ethics of big pharma. The modus operandi of this crowd is to lump in anyone who dares ask a question or concern or display hesitation to accept the vaccine with the anti vaxxer group. Even down to expliciteky stating they are responsible for people dying."

Yes the other day one of the most vociferous contributors posted that anyone not wanting the vaccine wanted people to die.

stafford

"There are certain individuals in the vaccine forum that are arrogant, patronising and condescending towards anyone who even dares raise questions against/about the vaccine or dares be hesitant about whether they want to have it. It is a small group but quite frankly some of what they say would bot be out of place in a totalitarian regime handbook.

And yes it does work both ways but my observation is the pile on tends to be from the crowd who unquestioningly believe the government and have (apparently) zero concerns about the ethics of big pharma. The modus operandi of this crowd is to lump in anyone who dares ask a question or concern or display hesitation to accept the vaccine with the anti vaxxer group. Even down to expliciteky stating they are responsible for people dying.

Yes the other day one of the most vociferous contributors posted that anyone not wanting the vaccine wanted people to die. "

I don't think anyone wants anyone to die for sure.. Mostly.

However, there is a danger in false theories ( proved constantly) and just basically trying to scare people into not having a vaccine . I believe anyone who is now denying Covid is a potential problem for all of us.. Particularly to anyone anyone who is worried, paranoid, anxious about Covid as it is.. Let's face it the conspiracy theories out there in Internet land are doing more harm than good. Scaring someone in their 70s into not taking a vaccine that will help them is just plain wrong.

I think anyone has the right to question something of course. We learn through experimentation though first and then ask questions don't we?

I also believe in the greater good of society and humanity. So if we are taking this thing we are ALL taking this thing! Which is how it should be.

It is what happens next that's important and in particular how things happen next.

When the 50 and below age groups turn comes up.. We Will have a damn good idea how this thing works by then won't we?

So what exactly is there then to be worried about?

I keep asking this question and the only answers I get are ' it's my right' I don't think that's enough anymore.

That's just not enough for me..my take is simple we have a duty to each other to protect each other don't we? If taking the vaccine and following Covid rules enable that then surely we have to put our own personal beliefs and concerns to one side and do the right thing.It is surely plain selfishness not to want that?

We are not looking just at ourselves here in 2021 but for the kids now in a limbo state with their lives and can't move forward and of course for the generations to come..

A bit of a guilt trip perhaps? Hopefully it will work on someone and get them to change their mind

And yes it does work both ways but my observation is the pile on tends to be from the crowd who unquestioningly believe the government and have (apparently) zero concerns about the ethics of big pharma. The modus operandi of this crowd is to lump in anyone who dares ask a question or concern or display hesitation to accept the vaccine with the anti vaxxer group. Even down to expliciteky stating they are responsible for people dying."

So very well said

Absolutely Well said

Exactly this. I would add there’s a trend now of reinforcing this viewpoint by using ‘follow up’ posts. What I mean by this is when someone points out ‘hang on a minute, you’re dog piling someone here and being pretty damn rude about it too’ there’s usually one or two posts back saying something like ‘it’s not bullying it’s just facts’.

I’m all for fact sharing and using evidence to persuade, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to be openly rude.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Nicely put.

The people who get aggressive tend to throw anyone who shows slight concern straight into "the government are lizards with plan" mentality.

Conspiracy theories have given people a very easy go to when it comes to challenging viewpoints. If course some conspiracy theories are dangerous and ridiculous, but when you voice concern about something as important as the timescale of producing a vaccine that has varying results, we shouldn't be attacking people for being fearful.

The irony is most people that attack different viewpoints are sounding exactly like Trump when he just shouted "fake news" at EVERYTHING.

Flintshire

Exactly this. I would add there’s a trend now of reinforcing this viewpoint by using ‘follow up’ posts. What I mean by this is when someone points out ‘hang on a minute, you’re dog piling someone here and being pretty damn rude about it too’ there’s usually one or two posts back saying something like ‘it’s not bullying it’s just facts’.

I’m all for fact sharing and using evidence to persuade, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to be openly rude. "

Spot on ... exactly why I stopped trying to give facts and figures as I’m in the non believing non vaccination camp ....

I’m all for fact sharing and using evidence to persuade, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to be openly rude. "

Yes we have noticed this too and its always the same self righteous people who do it time after time after time.

Flintshire

"And I think those people get treated differently on here. "

Yep they do appallingly for having a different view point

Flintshire

I’m all for fact sharing and using evidence to persuade, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to be openly rude.

Yes we have noticed this too and its always the same self righteous people who do it time after time after time."

Been noticing the same people since March last year ... being downright nasty and obnoxious .... have the impression they just love this thread and do nothing all day but comment on here

There is a really good podcast BBC science, it is on corruption and forgery in academia and science. The problem is we can't always blindly trust, but that is an impossible narrative to steer a population. You have to give clear instructions to a population or you just have chaos. I think we can have a lively debate after this is over, but right now we have to listen to those more qualified and with access to the latest evidence. X

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

spot on

By *iobhan123Woman  over a year ago

Deal

I thought that their reasoning behind this was to keep the vulnerable safe until some form of solution was discovered? Not to keep them shut away indefinitely.

So my point is it seems unreasonable to ask people to be shut away on one hand and say but I'm not gonna take the solution when it comes. That's what I mean about contradictory it's almost like they want everyone else to make the sacrifice and the take the risk so they can go back to normal."

This entire thread makes me sad, we are working our arses off to deliver the vaccine and most people are so grateful to be offered the jab, so many of the very elderly have declined on the basis we should be giving it to the young as they have lived their lives and are shielding anyway

So my point is it seems unreasonable to ask people to be shut away on one hand and say but I'm not gonna take the solution when it comes. That's what I mean about contradictory it's almost like they want everyone else to make the sacrifice and the take the risk so they can go back to normal.

This entire thread makes me sad, we are working our arses off to deliver the vaccine and most people are so grateful to be offered the jab, so many of the very elderly have declined on the basis we should be giving it to the young as they have lived their lives and are shielding anyway"

It is really sad and it is Very dismissive that people aren't allowed a different point of view yes occasionally it's got nasty but on the whole it doesn't but reading this thread you would think that bullying is rife and it really isn't it's just people having a different point of view.

It is also really sad their elderly people feel they shouldn't have the vaccine because the younger people want it and they shouldn't be made to feel that way.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Spot on !

I’d add it’s also those that have a real issue with the government and that is their constant message.

Indeed they made some mistakes, so many countries have but at the end of the day the people need to take responsibility as well. We shouldn’t have to be spoon fed by those in power on what to do, with or without restrictions. Even a thread praising the government for the vaccine programme and its roll out flying, was turned into a battle, political comparison.

Unfortunately I feel to many live in the past as it suits them to be angry and annoyed rather than looking forwards, concentrating on what we need to be doing now and having some positivity for the future.

In their eyes no matter what the government does it will never be good enough and there is no way to tell that anyone else would have done any better.

There are many examples of this, they’ll jump on the slightest comment that doesn’t fit ‘their’ thought process and dismiss it or ignore an alternative, calm answer or different point of view.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some have sadly lost the ability to see that and instead choose to constantly belittle, patronise and call others names for having a different opinion. Apparently fighting for humanity, but seem to have lost their humane trait within themselves

Spot on !

I’d add it’s also those that have a real issue with the government and that is their constant message.

Indeed they made some mistakes, so many countries have but at the end of the day the people need to take responsibility as well. We shouldn’t have to be spoon fed by those in power on what to do, with or without restrictions. Even a thread praising the government for the vaccine programme and its roll out flying, was turned into a battle, political comparison.

Unfortunately I feel to many live in the past as it suits them to be angry and annoyed rather than looking forwards, concentrating on what we need to be doing now and having some positivity for the future.

In their eyes no matter what the government does it will never be good enough and there is no way to tell that anyone else would have done any better.

There are many examples of this, they’ll jump on the slightest comment that doesn’t fit ‘their’ thought process and dismiss it or ignore an alternative, calm answer or different point of view.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some have sadly lost the ability to see that and instead choose to constantly belittle, patronise and call others names for having a different opinion. Apparently fighting for humanity, but seem to have lost their humane trait within themselves "

So many truths in there

By *iobhan123Woman  over a year ago

Deal

This entire thread makes me sad, we are working our arses off to deliver the vaccine and most people are so grateful to be offered the jab, so many of the very elderly have declined on the basis we should be giving it to the young as they have lived their lives and are shielding anyway

It is really sad and it is Very dismissive that people aren't allowed a different point of view yes occasionally it's got nasty but on the whole it doesn't but reading this thread you would think that bullying is rife and it really isn't it's just people having a different point of view.

It is also really sad their elderly people feel they shouldn't have the vaccine because the younger people want it and they shouldn't be made to feel that way.

"

Totally agree, the selfless generation that have lived through so much are the most vulnerable and need the vaccine, I have spent many hours persuading them to come along.

It is fine for people to express their opinions and folk shouldn't be castigated for doing so, vaccination is a choice, but we need 70% of the population to get done for this to be effective

Totally agree, the selfless generation that have lived through so much are the most vulnerable and need the vaccine, I have spent many hours persuading them to come along.

It is fine for people to express their opinions and folk shouldn't be castigated for doing so, vaccination is a choice, but we need 70% of the population to get done for this to be effective "

I genuinely do believe we will get there because I know people that were adamant they wouldn't have the vaccine who now have.

Brighton

Annnnd there we go. Further up the thread my point has been proven as one of the individuals in that group responds with a change of direction to steer the discussion back to their agenda ignoring the actual point being made. An agenda full of passive aggression and a message that completely proves my point on reflecting the script from a totalitarian regime playbook.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Annnnd there we go. Further up the thread my point has been proven as one of the individuals in that group responds with a change of direction to steer the discussion back to their agenda ignoring the actual point being made. An agenda full of passive aggression and a message that completely proves my point on reflecting the script from a totalitarian regime playbook."