Are sports and mucic necessary

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *istallover OP   Couple  over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

its Saturday .Happy weekend everyone

This morning England play cricket in India,

Italy play France at Rugby

England play Scotland at Rugby

Live horse racing this afternoon from Sandown.thats alot of people moving around tested or not,plus their guests and entourages .they may have been tested but whos to say they don't contract covid while away.

Eurovision are going to have people from 42 countries arriving in Amsterdam soon and the amount of private planes flying on my flight app is as many as ever.

It all depends on what is essential and by who.and the majority of people abiding by the non essential travel must be feeling hard done by if you can go to India to play a game but can't visit a dying relative a few miles away,

Sorry for the essay

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

You make a good point and it highlights how in almost a year, we've not managed to develop a facility that supports people with exceptional needs, whilst sports have had attention invested to allow them to continue as they are. In some respects, we've hardly moved.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Pathetic and a very poor advertisement that any sport whatsoever is allowed!

Particularly football where they all hug one another when a goal is scored - disgraceful!

There’s contestant testing in football and other top level sports at present which is not available to the general public and swift isolation for anybody or indeed groups who are positive it’s good for moral for many so why not if it’s tested regularly

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Sports offer pleasure to millions of people. I'm pretty sure there are lots of people in lockdown who the only thing they have to look forward to is the football.

With cricket it's 5 days of entertainment and the teams are in their own secure bubble. No spectators, journalists etc.

At least in teams sports it's just two teams and only one of them travelling. I'm not so sure about The Australian Open Tennis though where lots of people are travelling from all over the world.

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

Yes

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

A couple of my family members are allowed to compete their sport as they are classed as “elite”.

They haven’t been though because it’s just too difficult to arrange.

It’s so difficult saying they get tested... a lot of businesses for example BAE systems are testing every 3 days. Their staff can’t mix. What’s the difference

I’d also be struggling a lot more during lockdown had we not had sport though xx

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Bread and Circuses oldest trick Himan history

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"its Saturday .Happy weekend everyone

Live horse racing this afternoon from Sandown.thats alot of people moving around tested or not,plus their guests and entourages .they may have been tested but whos to say they don't contract covid while away.

Eurovision are going to have people from 42 countries arriving in Amsterdam soon and the amount of private planes flying on my flight app is as many as ever.

It all depends on what is essential and by who.and the majority of people abiding by the non essential travel must be feeling hard done by if you can go to India to play a game but can't visit a dying relative a few miles away,

Sorry for the essay

"

I thought the only benefit of Brexit was that we no longer have to take part in the Euro fucking vision song contest. Tell me we won’t be there?

By *usybee73Man  over a year ago

in the sticks

It's called money and control, teams on TV can play and those down a local park can't....

It's called millions of pounds and you look upto them as celebrities status.

Wonder what would happen if a football player said they won't play... that won't happen due to wages and they ain't over the age of 80

Sport is essential yes

Herne Bay

[Removed by poster at 06/02/21 19:53:18]

Don't forget the footballers (amongst other sports) pristine haircuts !!!

Herne Bay

"Sport is essential yes"
Bread and circuses this format had been around for 2000 years since Roman times for us plebs

By *agan_PairCouple  over a year ago

portchester

Sorry for the essay

I thought the only benefit of Brexit was that we no longer have to take part in the Euro fucking vision song contest. Tell me we won’t be there? "

If we are you can bet it’ll be the first time ever a country gets negative points ...

Unless we buy points with vaccine ..

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

The guide lines are work from home if possible proffesional sports men/women can't work from home so that is why top level sports is still going and obviously the TV riches that come with it, what the doubters have to remember is there are strict rules, testing etc and if not followed individuals are punished as many have found out already.

North West

"The guide lines are work from home if possible proffesional sports men/women can't work from home so that is why top level sports is still going and obviously the TV riches that come with it, what the doubters have to remember is there are strict rules, testing etc and if not followed individuals are punished as many have found out already. "

I think for the elite sports there is strict testing.

But when you seen Chorley dancing round the changing rooms the other day and then going back to work the next day it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth... specially when ones a teacher in a school

Don’t get me wrong, I watched the video and was buzzing for them before I read the comments and it even clicked!

Guess they can’t win either way it’s so hard

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

"The guide lines are work from home if possible proffesional sports men/women can't work from home so that is why top level sports is still going and obviously the TV riches that come with it, what the doubters have to remember is there are strict rules, testing etc and if not followed individuals are punished as many have found out already.

But when you seen Chorley dancing round the changing rooms the other day and then going back to work the next day it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth... specially when ones a teacher in a school

Don’t get me wrong, I watched the video and was buzzing for them before I read the comments and it even clicked!

Guess they can’t win either way it’s so hard "

Yes the FA cup was all about TV and the competition they could have skipped it for this season.

We have to start holding big events again at some point and I think that what is currently being proposed with the Eurovision song contest and the Olympics for example isn't a bad start.

See I find it hard to reconcile, how its acceptable for a 73 year old Roy Hodgkinson to shake hands, embrace Steve Bruce before the Crystal Palace Newcastle game.

Yet Sage scientists tell the Grandma's who've been vaccinated not hug their grandchildren?

It's a head scratcher?

By *urtyGentMan  over a year ago

eastleigh

Every single person anywhere near an elite sports event has been tested. Rigorously. How difficult is this for people to wrap their heads around?

[Removed by poster at 06/02/21 21:56:22]

Because sport generates money .Case closed

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"It's called money and control, teams on TV can play and those down a local park can't....

It's called millions of pounds and you look upto them as celebrities status.

Wonder what would happen if a football player said they won't play... that won't happen due to wages and they ain't over the age of 80 "

In the NFL in pre season players were given the option not to play & still get paid, although I assume basic pay, haven’t researched it, I just know it was offered.

North West

"Every single person anywhere near an elite sports event has been tested. Rigorously. How difficult is this for people to wrap their heads around?"

Because that’s only true at elite level.

As mentioned previously, that isn’t possible at FA cup level yet was allowed to continue.

Also not in every sport.

Boxers don’t have to isolate in between training sessions but are still allowed to train if they have a professional licence.

Motoctosss racers can train and practice and aren’t mass tested and isolating..

There’s no need for the “how hard is it to get to it heads round” because your wrong

X

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Sorry for the essay

"

gives us all entertainment enjoyed crocket rugby and football today makes lockdown bearable

eastleigh

"Every single person anywhere near an elite sports event has been tested. Rigorously. How difficult is this for people to wrap their heads around?

As mentioned previously, that isn’t possible at FA cup level yet was allowed to continue.

Also not in every sport.

Boxers don’t have to isolate in between training sessions but are still allowed to train if they have a professional licence.

There’s no need for the “how hard is it to get to it heads round” because your wrong

X"

“That’s only true at elite level”

“There’s no need for the “how hard is it to get your head around” because your wrong”

What did I say and how was I wrong?

North West

"Every single person anywhere near an elite sports event has been tested. Rigorously. How difficult is this for people to wrap their heads around?

Also not in every sport.

X

“There’s no need for the “how hard is it to get your head around” because your wrong”

What did I say and how was I wrong?"

Elite motocross racers aren’t tested. Elite boxers aren’t tested

Or were you only referring to the more “mainstream” sports as such. (I wouldn’t know how to describe the football/ rugby/ cricket world without sounding offensive)

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan  over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

"The guide lines are work from home if possible proffesional sports men/women can't work from home so that is why top level sports is still going and obviously the TV riches that come with it, what the doubters have to remember is there are strict rules, testing etc and if not followed individuals are punished as many have found out already.

Guess they can’t win either way it’s so hard

Yes the FA cup was all about TV and the competition they could have skipped it for this season."

The TV money generated by a FA cup tie for smaller clubs is probably a big determinant in whether they survive or not financially.

North West

Also not in every sport.

X

What did I say and how was I wrong?"

Elite mainstream sport level* that should say then

eastleigh

Also not in every sport.

X

Elite mainstream sport level* that should say then "

Yes it should.

North West

Also not in every sport.

X

Elite mainstream sport level* that should say then

Yes it should. "

Haha consider it changed

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"Pathetic and a very poor advertisement that any sport whatsoever is allowed!

Particularly football where they all hug one another when a goal is scored - disgraceful! "

I know. I watched a game on telly today between England and Scotland and they were constantly hugging each other. It was happening every 30 seconds. In fact they did so much hugging that they squashed the football into an oval shape. Oh no, wait a minute that was rugby

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"There’s contestant testing in football and other top level sports at present which is not available to the general public and swift isolation for anybody or indeed groups who are positive it’s good for moral for many so why not if it’s tested regularly "

If its anything like their drugs testing then we all know they fudge them to get what they want.

Primadonnas.com

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

So if you banned sport would you also stop all filming of soaps tv etc as I don't think emerald is essential ( other soaps are available)

But if we do that Would you also stop the news. As I bet reporters travel aswell

"So if you banned sport would you also stop all filming of soaps tv etc as I don't think emerald is essential ( other soaps are available)

But if we do that Would you also stop the news. As I bet reporters travel aswell "

I agree but having said that news reporters and journalists are considered essential workers.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

i'm just curious as to why exactly music was specifically dragged into the topic of this thread by the OP?

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

No decision has been made yet if acts will perform live at the Eurovision in Rotterdam or if they will submit taped performances from their own country or perform live in their own country.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

I think the virus will be an endemic and will continue to be around.

Personally I think we have to innovate a new culture of living and not just simply cancel everything.

The sports industries are trying their best to continue the activities but be safe at the same time.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

Sorry for the essay

"

This is their job, they can hardly work from home can they?

Regarding the sportsmen, they are regularly tested and are in their own bubbles.

Although I don't understand a fist bump before the whistle goes and the hugging to celebrate a goal. Seems counter intuitive to me.

Regarding spectators I'd hope those attending are abiding by social distancing, group numbers and travelling reasonable distances, as well as social distancing within the stadiums.

I suspect many of those factors will be cast aside by the spectators.

Sport brings joy and relief to millions, it's entertaining and uplifting in a world full of doom and gloom.

E

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"i'm just curious as to why exactly music was specifically dragged into the topic of this thread by the OP?"

It was a reference to Eurovision

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"i'm just curious as to why exactly music was specifically dragged into the topic of this thread by the OP?

It was a reference to Eurovision "

gotcha ... thanks.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

I think sport is essential for a lot of peoples mental health i would have gone insane on my own by now without it on the tv and gives you something to look forward to the next day.

"There’s contestant testing in football and other top level sports at present which is not available to the general public and swift isolation for anybody or indeed groups who are positive it’s good for moral for many so why not if it’s tested regularly "

And there are constant outbreaks of COVID-19 - it is a No Brainer!!!!!!!

" Regarding spectators I'd hope those attending are abiding by social distancing, group numbers and travelling reasonable distances, as well as social distancing within the stadiums.

E"

I absolutely guarantee that 99.9% of MUFC do not live anywhere near Manchester

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

"

Boxers don’t have to isolate in between training sessions but are still allowed to train if they have a professional licence. "

That depends on your level. Ive got multiple friends who are world level pro boxers/mma fighters and every one of them is pretty much in an isolation bubble with a select few people. No one breaks it because if anyone in the bubble tests positive the fight is pulled.

Everyone is masked and distanced till the fight too

Although to be honest, in a sport where your number one goal is to beat you opponent into unconsciousness, I'm not sure covid is a big fear for them

North West

"

Boxers don’t have to isolate in between training sessions but are still allowed to train if they have a professional licence. That depends on your level. Ive got multiple friends who are world level pro boxers/mma fighters and every one of them is pretty much in an isolation bubble with a select few people. No one breaks it because if anyone in the bubble tests positive the fight is pulled.

Everyone is masked and distanced till the fight too

Although to be honest, in a sport where your number one goal is to beat you opponent into unconsciousness, I'm not sure covid is a big fear for them "

You have to be competing at British level to be classed as “elite” and allowed to continue training in most sports.

It’s a shame they aren’t all managed the same way “elite” football is but I know factually they aren’t x

"There’s contestant testing in football and other top level sports at present which is not available to the general public and swift isolation for anybody or indeed groups who are positive it’s good for moral for many so why not if it’s tested regularly

If its anything like their drugs testing then we all know they fudge them to get what they want.

Primadonnas.com"

Paul Lambert manager of Ipswich Town did an interview on Football Focus. He himself caught Covid and admits he still feels not quite 100%. He says that in the Premier League everybody gets tested numerous times. Yet outside of that, the rest of the football pyramid get tested only very intermittently.

This disparity shows the Premier League are willing to do everything they can to protect their golden goose and to preserve their product's marketability but the FA, EFL or whoever don't really offer the same concern to the other clubs. Is it a matter of cost as there are so many clubs or just simple disregard? If I remember correctly, the number of times football league clubs had been tested were in single digits yet Premier League clubs were well into three digits.

By *amaraBeaverbankWoman  over a year ago

Benidorm Spain

As a musician who’s not been allowed to gig for almost a full year now, not being allowed to work has been very rough of my mental health. I use my work a lot to vent emotions so not having that outlet, I’m finding it particularly hard. Bearing in mind the last time I fell into a bad depression, it was when I stopped singing professionally although I did have a full time job.

Here, not only am i not allowed to sing (under contract to one venue so not self employed) but there are no jobs, even for the Spanish. Sitting on my arse, broke having burnt through my savings, suffering by having to live in my head so much with no outlet, I am finding so hard... and where I am is mainly floated by tourism so there are many of us in the same situation with very little help.

Because I was under contract, I am getting similar to UK furlough, but it literally pays my bills with about €40 to live on each month... and I’m one of the lucky ones!

Musicians are always the first to be asked to do freebies to help raise money for various causes, and in the main we are happy to do so. So seeing things like “are we essential” is quite hurtful given how forgotten and on the breadline so many of us are

Remember, most of us are not in a high earner bracket as we do it as much for the love of it as much as it’s a job

Stay safe people

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Horse racing is under closed doors only stable staff, jockeys riding, essential staff who are needed and trainers allowed at meetings.

"As a musician who’s not been allowed to gig for almost a full year now, not being allowed to work has been very rough of my mental health. I use my work a lot to vent emotions so not having that outlet, I’m finding it particularly hard. Bearing in mind the last time I fell into a bad depression, it was when I stopped singing professionally although I did have a full time job.

Here, not only am i not allowed to sing (under contract to one venue so not self employed) but there are no jobs, even for the Spanish. Sitting on my arse, broke having burnt through my savings, suffering by having to live in my head so much with no outlet, I am finding so hard... and where I am is mainly floated by tourism so there are many of us in the same situation with very little help.

Because I was under contract, I am getting similar to UK furlough, but it literally pays my bills with about €40 to live on each month... and I’m one of the lucky ones!

Musicians are always the first to be asked to do freebies to help raise money for various causes, and in the main we are happy to do so. So seeing things like “are we essential” is quite hurtful given how forgotten and on the breadline so many of us are

Remember, most of us are not in a high earner bracket as we do it as much for the love of it as much as it’s a job

Stay safe people"

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

" Regarding spectators I'd hope those attending are abiding by social distancing, group numbers and travelling reasonable distances, as well as social distancing within the stadiums.

E

I absolutely guarantee that 99.9% of MUFC do not live anywhere near Manchester "

They do seem to have accents not wholly in keeping with Manchester.

E

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Look at the Vandee Globe yacht race, it can be done with social distancing rules in place. It is a solo sailing race.

yes

» Add a new message to this topic